PDA

View Full Version : Peavy To White Sox?

redsfan4445
05-21-2009, 09:25 AM
per mlb traderumors:

Peavy To White Sox?
By Cork Gaines [May 21 at 6:51am CST]
Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Padres are in discussions to send Jake Peavy to the White Sox.

According to Padres personnel, Peavy met with Padres manager Bud Black late Wednesday night to discuss a trade overture from the Sox.

It is apparently a four-player offer, which would presumably gut Chicago's farm system. Peavy would have to approve any trade and according to Krasovic Peavy is telling people that the trade is "something to think about." However, Krasovic says Peavy "may have reservations about pitching for Ozzie Guillen."

MLB.com's Corey Brock asked Padres GM Kevin Towers about the rumor. He said, "I only know what you guys [media] knows."

As long as its not the Cubs or Cardinals!! whew!!

nate
05-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/21/peavy.trade/index.html) like it's going to happen:

The White Sox have reached agreement with the Padres on a trade for Jake Peavy but are awaiting Peavy's approval now, SI.com has learned.

Peavy has full no-trade power and the trade will be entirely his call. The sides are expecting a fairly quick decision by Peavy.

Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod said that Peavy prefers "Middle America,'' so that should work. However, Peavy is also known to like the National League.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported this morning that the sides were close to a deal.

Peavy is off to a 3-5 start this season with a 3.82 ERA and 1.11 WHIP. The 27-year-old right-hander is coming off his finest outing of the season last Sunday, when he threw a complete game while allowing one run on four hits. For his career, Peavy owns an 89-67 mark with a 3.27 ERA. He won the Cy Young award in 2007, taking the pitching Triple Crown by leading the National League with 19 wins, 240 strikeouts and a 2.54 ERA.

John Danks and Gavin Floyd have been struggling for the White Sox, who are off to a slow start (17-22) but still have plenty of hope being in a tight AL Central.

The Padres need pitching. Aaron Poreda is the White Sox's top pitching prospect. San Diego also needs a shortstop.

Sea Ray
05-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Too bad they didn't do this deal before the Reds played SD

Strikes Out Looking
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I hope he approves as I would be much happier to see him going to an AL team than the Cubs or Cardinals.

Homer Bailey
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing Gordan Beckham would have to be part of this deal. I'd love it if the Reds stepped up to the plate and actually made a move for Peavy.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
White Sox looking at a weak division and seeing it as winnable. Then, if they are unable to do so, and if we are still in it, and if no other solution has come forward, we pick up Dye for the stretch run for a couple middling prospects. Sounds like a plan.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Great. Peavy leaves the NL *right after* he eviscerates the Reds. If the Reds didn't have bad luck they'd have no luck at all.

edabbs44
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing Gordan Beckham would have to be part of this deal. I'd love it if the Reds stepped up to the plate and actually made a move for Peavy.

He'd have to be a PTBNL.

top6
05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Great. Peavy leaves the NL *right after* he eviscerates the Reds. If the Reds didn't have bad luck they'd have no luck at all.

And not to mention they have to play a 3 game series against the Sox in June, so there is still a good chance they will have to face him again.

blumj
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
He'd have to be a PTBNL.

The only rumor I've seen so far is Richard, Poreda, and 2 PTBNLs.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Beckham isn't in the deal according to Peter Gammons. That automatically makes this a bad deal for the Padres, IMO.

NJReds
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
... and right after I traded for him in an NL only league ...:thumbdown

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Beckham isn't in the deal according to Peter Gammons. That automatically makes this a bad deal for the Padres, IMO.

I'd like to know how Gammons knows who the PTBNL's is. They don't neccessarily have to name them yet do they?

Hoosier Red
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
... and right after I traded for him in an NL only league ...:thumbdown

Does he just become persona non grata in your league than? I'm oddly way more interested in other's fantasy teams than in actually managing my own.

NJReds
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Does he just become persona non grata in your league than? I'm oddly way more interested in other's fantasy teams than in actually managing my own.

Don't want to turn this into a fantasy thread, but yes, I'll just lose him.

Hopefully he'll reject the deal because a) he wants to stay in the NL and b) he doesn't want to play for Guillen.

blumj
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd like to know how Gammons knows who the PTBNL's is. They don't neccessarily have to name them yet do they?

Kevin Towers has a big mouth, so he probably told him.

dougdirt
05-21-2009, 12:44 PM
If Poreda and Flowers aren't in the deal, then the White Sox completely fleeced the Padres since Beckham apparently isn't in the deal.

jmcclain19
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Poreda is a sneaky prospect who could turn out to be a huge pickup for the Pads. He racked up 12ks last night - probably with a host of Pads staff members watching.

LvJ
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
That's interesting..

NJReds
05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Update from the San Diego Tribune:

Peavy deal to White Sox not imminent
By Tom Krasovic Union-Tribune Staff Writer
9:02 a.m. May 21, 2009

Itís unlikely the Padres will trade ace pitcher Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox, though the clubs discussed a 4-for-1 swap and Peavy has heard from a White Sox player who told him he would love for Peavy to become a teammate.

Itís far more likely that Peavy will start for the Padres on Friday against the Chicago Cubs at Petco Park, according to people close to the pitcher.

Peavyís consent would be needed for a trade, but the process hasnít gotten to that point. The Padres expect that if the deal were to happen, they would get left-handed pitchers Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda, among others, from the White Sox. Regarded by the Padres as a potential No. 3 starter, Richard, 25, has a 4.33 ERA in 14 games and 27 innings with the Sox this year. Poreda has 44 strikeouts in 40.1 Double-A innings. The clubs also have discussed White Sox pitcher Lance Broadway, a 25-year-old right-hander with a 2.84 ERA in 12.2 innings this season.

redsfan4445
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
He just vetoed it! GOD i dont want to see him in a Cub or Cardinal uniform :(

Peavy Vetoes White Sox Trade
By Cork Gaines [May 21 at 5:41pm CST]

5:41pm: The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that Peavy has officially vetoed a trade to the White Sox.

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I find it interesting that they are attempting to deal him just weeks before the draft. His salary is likely gonna have an impact on what they do in the draft whether they admit it or not. And I believe they have already said their situation won't effect the draft but count me as skeptical. I can't imagine they will find another taker before then.

RedsManRick
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Peavy Career Home: 2.81
Peavy Career Away: 3.82

Moving from the NL to the AL tends to add about half a run and the Cell is another 10% above average when it comes to runs scored. The White Sox might have lucked out... Peavy could very well be a 4.50 ERA guy on the south side.

Eric_the_Red
05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Would it be worth the Reds exploring a trade? What would it take, do you think, to land Peavy?

IMO, I think it is worth a phone call to gauge the asking price. It seems like most here think the ChiSox were getting over on SD. Maybe we could do the same.

RED VAN HOT
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Would it be worth the Reds exploring a trade? What would it take, do you think, to land Peavy?

IMO, I think it is worth a phone call to gauge the asking price. It seems like most here think the ChiSox were getting over on SD. Maybe we could do the same.

I have a hazy memory of having seen this before. Even if Peavy were to approve such a deal, the commissioner would void it as upsetting the competitive balance of baseball.

redsmetz
05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a hazy memory of having seen this before. Even if Peavy were to approve such a deal, the commissioner would void it as upsetting the competitive balance of baseball.

I can't recall Bud Selig vetoing any trade. I don't think a commissioner has done so in ages. It was a different time when Kuhn kept the Reds from acquiring Vida Blue.

thatcoolguy_22
05-21-2009, 09:33 PM

we still have the trade rights to the majority of the team you proposed the other day. Batman and Optimus for Peavy.

On a sidenote. What are the Padres going to do? They can't afford his contract now and its only going to get worse. Peavvy has a full no trade clause and refuses to leave SD? Tricky situation for sure.

RED VAN HOT
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I can't recall Bud Selig vetoing any trade. I don't think a commissioner has done so in ages. It was a different time when Kuhn kept the Reds from acquiring Vida Blue.

True. I still haven't gotten over it though. It's just the cynicism of a small market team fan slipping out. It still happens from time to time when I least expect it.

cumberlandreds
05-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Kuhn just had it out for Charlie Finley. They didn't like each other and Kuhn thought his selling off his star players was bad for the game. I could be wrong but I think every trade or transaction Kuhn vetoed involved Charlie Finley and the A's.
I just have a hunch that Peavy will end up with Cubs when its all said and done.

11larkin11
05-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Don't look now, but that crappy Padres team that swept us and marked the "beginning of our demise" as the pessimists around here said, have won 10 in a row, and are now over .500.

fearofpopvol1
05-26-2009, 12:46 AM
The team might not be as eager to trade Peavy if they keep winning. I'd say the deadline would probably be the soonest.

I(heart)Freel
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Someone brought it up on Banana Phone last night.

Do you start the offer for Peavy with Alfonso and Homer? And what else do you put in? And would it be enough?

Chip R
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Kuhn just had it out for Charlie Finley. They didn't like each other and Kuhn thought his selling off his star players was bad for the game. I could be wrong but I think every trade or transaction Kuhn vetoed involved Charlie Finley and the A's.

Yep. Also, the trade would have hurt the Dodgers who were owned by Kuhn's patron, O'Malley. The split season in 81 was a nod to O'Malley. If the Dodgers weren't in 1st when the strike happened, they would have more than likely played out the season from where it stopped.