LvJ
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Redlegs.

Yachtzee
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Porkopolitans

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I like for us to be called the Reds by outsiders, but I like to call them the Redlegs at times and don't mind our fans calling them the Redlegs. Make any sense? I guess it's like I don't mind my mom calling me Billy but everyone else better call me Bill, Will or William. :dunno:

RED VAN HOT
05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Reds.

Don't want to have to change all my tattoos.

westofyou
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Red Legs is a silly made up name that was never a real interchangeable title prior to or after its brief stay, it's like the Bees, Rustlers (Boston Braves) or the Bluejays (Phillies) a moment of silliness that was eventually rectified.

BCubb2003
05-21-2009, 10:50 PM
As a teen-ager, Jack Kerouac created a fantasy baseball league that had the Cincinnati Blacks facing the Detroit Reds in the World Series.

George Anderson
05-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Reds.

Don't want to have to change all my tattoos.

I was close to getting a reds tattoo back around 94', but the strike happened and I got pissy at the Reds and all of MLB so I didn't do it.

Looking back I'm glad that strike happened.

Red in Chicago
05-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Red Legs is a silly made up name that was never a real interchangeable title prior to or after its brief stay, it's like the Bees, Rustlers (Boston Braves) or the Bluejays (Phillies) a moment of silliness that was eventually rectified.

The poll results have changed dramatically since WOY's comments above. How much did the Reds marketing team pay you:p:

redsmetz
05-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I like for us to be called the Reds by outsiders, but I like to call them the Redlegs at times and don't mind our fans calling them the Redlegs. Make any sense? I guess it's like I don't mind my mom calling me Billy but everyone else better call me Bill, Will or William. :dunno:

I would fall into this camp, although I don't go by Bill, Will or William. I always sang "Redlegs" during "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and don't mind the occasional sports announcer embellishing their story with the classic "Redlegs".

BCubb2003
05-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I think we should do the hip thing with the ending and be the 'Legs, like the 'Stros, or the 'Dres, the 'Nals, the 'Gels, or the 'Ubs.

cumberlandreds
05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Didn't the Reds start using RedLegs in the '50's because of the Communist paranoia that swept the nation during that time? Seems like I read that one time but don't know if its true or not. I had an uncle,who has long since passed away,always called them the Redlegs. I always found it amusing and got a chuckle out of it when he called them that.

RANDY IN INDY
05-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Didn't the Reds start using RedLegs in the '50's because of the Communist paranoia that swept the nation during that time? Seems like I read that one time but don't know if its true or not. I had an uncle,who has long since passed away,always called them the Redlegs. I always found it amusing and got a chuckle out of it when he called them that.

I believe you would be right.

Danny Serafini
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM

Makes perfect sense. Redlegs is cool to throw out as an alternate name every once in a while, but not as an everyday thing. It's like when Syracuse changed their name. When they were the Orangemen it was hip to call them the Orange, but when they made Orange the official name it went from cool to lame overnight.

Chip R
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I loathe the name Redlegs.

BCubb2003
05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Makes perfect sense. Redlegs is cool to throw out as an alternate name every once in a while, but not as an everyday thing. It's like when Syracuse changed their name. When they were the Orangemen it was hip to call them the Orange, but when they made Orange the official name it went from cool to lame overnight.

That was to avoid the possibility of the Lady Orangemen.

cumberlandreds
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I loathe the name Redlegs.

It's better than Red Necks. ;)

Danny Serafini
05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
That was to avoid the possibility of the Lady Orangemen.

Orangewomen avoids that possibility quite easily.

westofyou
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM

It's all covered right here.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53701

BCubb2003
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Orangewomen avoids that possibility quite easily.

Not so easy for jerseys and headlines, but that was the usual practice. Besides, the mascot's an Orange.