PDA

View Full Version : McDonald DFA'd

Rockermann
05-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Baily up, Gomes up, Carlos Fisher up and McDonald has been DFA'd. Volquez to DL, Ramirez optioned. All according to C. Trent's twitter page.

UPRedsFan
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Good moves. I was wondering why Ramirez and why not Fisher

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow.

Bailey is a mistake, but oh well.

'Bout time Gomes came up.

I guess Fisher is to replace Masset?

BEETTLEBUG
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Hoping that these are GOOD moves.

xavr1
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Good moves IMO. Been waiting all year for Gomes to come up.

WildcatFan
05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Seems to me a Nix/Gomes platoon in left would be a pretty productive one. Who knows, Gomes could even become the cleanup guy against lefties.

bgwilly31
05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
cya later Mickey D. Now lets see this gomes kid.

GIDP
05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
why did they wait til after the phillies series to do this?

cbowen2112
05-22-2009, 11:58 AM
What a great day! No work, and Gomes will be here today! I hope we see him at least a bit vs. Cliff Lee. Go Reds!

Bumstead
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Funny, Gomes is the savior...haha Hopefully he just plays against lefties, which he will be fine doing. Looking forward to watching Fisher and Bailey, two guys with actual futures with the Reds. :thumbup:

Another good thing, maybe this can be the last thread regarding McDonald...:rolleyes:

Bum

TheBigLebowski
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I feel bad for McDonald but tihis is a big-time business and it had to be done. Kudos as well to Gomes for accepting the AAA assignment and biding his time,

Not crazy about the Bailey callup....but we'll see.

Jack Burton
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
:beerme:
Excellent news.

ochoa30
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I feel bad because i literally got up and did a jig when i saw the news. Thats what watching mcdonald will do to ya. i wish him luck but i dont expect to ever see him in the majors again. Gomes should have been here all year and fisher looks to have some promise. I like these moves a lot.

Bumstead
05-22-2009, 12:42 PM
11 years and about 1300 hits in the minors. It was a nice story to see him earn a spot on the Reds. It's too bad it didn't work out. Good luck to Mr. McDonald finding another team.

Bum

Hondo
05-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok Ok

This is Good... Hopefully Fisher will be a good addition to the Bull Penn...

Anyway... Peavy needs to be Traded for. I know I have been a Broken Record on that but hey, Hopefully Walt will Read this!

Brutus
05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
It's definitely about time. I was beginning to wonder how long it would take for the Reds to come to their senses. Good moves. I think Gomes will be there to stay (they can't send him back down without his accepting it again anyhow).

BLEEDS
05-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I feel bad for McDonald but tihis is a big-time business and it had to be done. Kudos as well to Gomes for accepting the AAA assignment and biding his time,

Not crazy about the Bailey callup....but we'll see.

Feel Bad for McDonald? How about feel bad for US/The Reds for having to watch him play for The Big Team for so long.
Seriously.
ONE FOURTH (1/4th) of the ENTIRE 2009 season before they figured out Gomes should be here instead of McDonald.

Yes, it's about time. SOME semblance that this FO actually isn't tied to DUHsty the Toothpicks pointless meanderings and logic ALL of the time, only wasting 1/4th of the season on a stupid decision.
Guess it's better than last years CP experiment.

I can live with Nix/Gomes and Taveras/Dickerson as our LF/CF combos. I suppose Gomes can spell Bruce in RF every now and then too (say against the occasional lefty?)
Not going to win the pennant with it, but at least it actually makes some logical and statistical sense. You know DUHsty had nothing to do with that side of the argument.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bounty37h
05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
^think he is more stating feel bad for him to see his dreams crushed, not the actual call of finally doing it-dont think anyone qustions that. But yeah, i feel bad for him too, it has to suck to finally make it but then not have enough to stay, but at least he made it, more then most can say

yab1112
05-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm Looking forward to seeing Fisher and I know some people aren't excited about Homer but I am.

good moves. :thumbup:

FlyerFanatic
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
^think he is more stating feel bad for him to see his dreams crushed, not the actual call of finally doing it-dont think anyone qustions that. But yeah, i feel bad for him too, it has to suck to finally make it but then not have enough to stay, but at least he made it, more then most can say

def...can always say he started on opening day for the cincinnati reds

CRedsLarkin11
05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
It's about time. It is laughable how some are poking fun and saying that "Gomes is the savior" sarcastically. Come on now, no one here thinks that but it was painfully obvious McDonald doesn't belong in the majors. I don't know how you could argue against that. He's a career minor leaguer who is 30 years old... there is no upside whatsoever. Gomes is another Reds type player who they picked up cheap, has played well in the past and is still relatively young. We keep signing or trading for these players and some of them end up working. (Phillips, Hamilton, Nix to some extent) There is upside there and he actually did decent at AAA, long time coming and he'll help the Reds. If anything, I felt bad for him instead of McDonald...he had to be thinking, how did this happen?

Bumstead
05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Gomes is 28, not young....he is what he is: effective against lefties at the MLB level. Don't expect anything more. We need a real offensive threat to play in LF and bat in the middle of the order. Gomes=25th man, fine with me.

Jefferson24
05-22-2009, 02:20 PM
This is a productive move. Enough of these little moves and they may result in some wins. Is Gomes just going to be a bat off the bench or could he work his way into a platoon situation?

Red in Atl
05-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Someone above said it right, this is big time business. Dusty got to give the guy a shot, and rewarded him for his hard play in ST. He got to start OD. He had a couple big hits early and got himself a dong in the big leagues. He had to know his time was up.

Seems like they just gave up yesterdays game. But the good news is Votto is OK, Bailey finally gets his call up. Gomes gets his time now to shine, and the Indians are in town. Should be a fun weekend in Cincy. Wish I could be there.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Damn I thought that said Gonzalez optioned. Crap.

Red in Atl
05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Damn I thought that said Gonzalez optioned. Crap.

I really wish he would man it up and go to AAA to relearn how to hit. Watching him bat is such a painful experience. He is completely clueless. I think I could hit better than him right now, and I'm 40, stubby and haven't played baseball since I was 15.

After the Phillies series, I really hope Dusty at least has the sense to realize that he should only bat 8th, and he should really be platooning. When Edward comes back, he may be the next to go.

Ghosts of 1990
05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Praise the Lord. Forgive me for saying this but winning teams just don't have Darnell McDonald's on their roster for full seasons. Gomes will be a lift almost immediately.

CRedsLarkin11
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Gomes is 28, not young....he is what he is: effective against lefties at the MLB level. Don't expect anything more. We need a real offensive threat to play in LF and bat in the middle of the order. Gomes=25th man, fine with me.

I didn't mean to use the phrase "relatively young" b/c that can be misinterpreted, "still in his prime" and "3 years removed from back to back 20 HR seasons in the majors" is what I meant. Of course we need a force in left field and in the middle of the order, that may be all this team needs to compete(and he is not that). My point was he is a good bench player, that is all. No one expects him to be a savior

corwinator3407
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I did not get to see the game yesterday or hear anything but the last two innings, so I missed Ramirez's outing. Did he just not have it? Or what is the reason for his two day stay with the team.

As for McDonald, all I will say is I am happy.

DTCromer
05-22-2009, 08:23 PM
2 things I like about this:

1) We can stop having threads about the 25th man on the roster.
2) We can finally have a 15 game winning streak now that Jonny is here.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-22-2009, 08:29 PM
I hope McDonald sticks with Louisville, you think any other team would really give him a shot?

CRedsLarkin11
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I hope McDonald sticks with Louisville, you think any other team would really give him a shot?

No

Zimmers
05-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I just want to say thank you to dmac. By u stinking up the joint Gomes was brought up and got us started to get the win today. It was and always will be ur best moment for me as a fan. Thanks.

Captain Hook
05-23-2009, 03:55 AM
:beerme:
Excellent news.

Agreed 100%

Now all we need is for EE to come back and for Gonzo to be DFA'd.Probably will never happen but one can dream.

demas863
05-23-2009, 11:33 AM
why did they wait til after the phillies series to do this?

...perhaps because Dusty's ego wouldn't let him admit that he was wrong in his biased support of McDonald over Gomes when the spring camp broke. You would have thought he would have learned from last year's fiasco with Patterson. When Dusty's out of baseball (which I hope is soon) he should think about doing community service work.

WILD THING
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Gomes is getting the start tonight against the lefty. Its amazing how much better Gomes looks in the lineup as our left fielder against lefties than McDonald or Hairston. While it was nice that Hairston was having his hot streak, I've been hoping for a Nix/Gomes platoon in LF all season.

Mutaman
05-23-2009, 07:37 PM
...perhaps because Dusty's ego wouldn't let him admit that he was wrong in his biased support of McDonald over Gomes when the spring camp broke. You would have thought he would have learned from last year's fiasco with Patterson. When Dusty's out of baseball (which I hope is soon) he should think about doing community service work.

Why was his support of McDonald biased? Are you saying what I think you're saying?

reds1869
05-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Why was his support of McDonald biased? Are you saying what I think you're saying?

And here we go again...

These were good moves, even Bailey. Why was calling Homer up a good move? Because that game last night is going to be the beginning of his middle relief career. I believe he will be effective in the pen for an inning or so. Not what we'd hoped for, but still extremely valuable. He just doesn't have the arsenal of a rotation man. But he would be a nice option out of the pen for sure.