PDA

View Full Version : Bailey back to Louisville, Wilkin Castillo up

mth123
05-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Just announced.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Beat me to it.

Good move. With the uncertainty with Phillips, Castillo gives us that extra body we may need.

Team Clark
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
No surprise. I personally was hoping Bailey would pitch well. Even if he had, more than likely he would still be headed back to Louisville.

37red
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
It's a good decision to move him back down, he just can't deliver. Everyone loves him but he just doesn't deliver. Everything was set for him, almost any pitcher could have held on with that offense, I also feel Dusty should have pulled him much sooner. Every game is an important game, this thing about playing for .500 is, I don't know how to say it, but it's ridiculous!

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Every game is an important game, this thing about playing for .500 is, I don't know how to say it, but it's ridiculous!

Who said we were playing for .500?

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Brandon Phillips with a hairline fracture in his thumb

Brandon Phillips just told us he has a hairline fracture in the tip of his right thumb. In clubhouse, he was wearing a splint. X-rays showed the break this morning, Phillips said.

He said he wants to play through it but should miss at least a couple days. Reds haven't said anything yet.

"I told them I don't want to go on the DL," Phillips said. "I feel like I can play with it."

Phillips took a groundball off the thumb in the eighth inning last night, and left the game.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 11:16 AM
"It's not surprising," Bailey said this morning in the Reds clubhouse. Bailey allowed six runs in 4 1/3 innings last night but said he felt he'd be headed back down anyway, even if he had pitched well.

"I don't think it would have mattered," said Bailey, who filled in for Edinson Volquez (DL/back spasms).

Bailey said he will go down and keep at it:
"Mentally it doesn't change anything. I've done this before."

From Fay's blog

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Wilkin Castillo has a .528 OPS in Louisville.

Chip R
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Terrific. They are going to play with a man short for several more days.

LoganBuck
05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Wilkin Castillo has a .528 OPS in Louisville.

Wilkin Castillo has as much business on the major league roster as Darnell McDonald. None.

Joseph
05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Goodness.

I don't even know what to say anymore. There is nothing better in the minors than Castillo?

BCubb2003
05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
If Wilkin Castillo faced Wirfin Obispo, which one would be the Hobbit?

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Goodness.

I don't even know what to say anymore. There is nothing better in the minors than Castillo?

Danny Richar had a miserable April but he's hitting .328/.381/.500 - .881 in May. I'd much rather see him up here than Castillo.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Goodness.

I think it's got more to do with the 40-man roster than who's better, doesn't it? I figured it had to be either Castillo or Sutton.

Kc61
05-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Goodness.

What's the frustration? Who should be brought up? Any ideas? I see Richar mentioned, but Castillo provides much more flexibility he plays catcher, and outfield, and probably in an emergency can play some infield too.

Castillo hasn't hit well so far but he's done better in previous years. With Castillo Reds can use Hanigan, Nix, or Gomes to pinch hit and not worry about saving them to play catcher or outfield. Castillo can be the bench insurance for those positions if needed later in the game.

If Phillips is lost for an extended period, that is a real tough break. So Reds get the Votto/Phillips tandem back for all of one game.

Reds have enough trouble with lefties, now both EE and Phillips out. Ugh.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Votto's out too. Scratched from today's lineup. Still feeling the dizzy stuff a bit (must've been all that circling the bases *grin*).

Falls City Beer
05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Love all that "pitching depth" this organization has.

LvJ
05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I are confused!

Jpup
05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Castillo? He's horrible, at everything. What a great move. :rolleyes:

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
If not Castillo, then who? Several here are complaining about Wilkin coming up, but few are offering viable options.

I'm no fan of Castillo's, but other than Sutton, nobody else is on the 40 man (besides Yonder & Juan...and neither of them are close to ready yet). If we bring up someone else, doesn't that mean we'd have to DFA somebody else? (I'm far from an expert on the way the 40 man/25 man rosters work in regards to the DL and stuff)

BCubb2003
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I think this is something we should keep in mind when we get into the frenzy of "Why are they letting this guy stay up here? Send him down already."

LvJ
05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Castillo is 25 years old.

Career Minor League Numbers: .275/.315/.387 (.702 OPS!)

This Season he is even worst: .207/.223/.304

BTW, how can you be 51 out of 80 in stolen bases? One year he stole 15 bases but was caught 14 times. At some point you've gotta throw an anchor over his shoulder.

Apparently he plays everywhere. Catcher, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, and SS.

He was 9-32 last year with the Reds.

camisadelgolf
05-24-2009, 12:20 PM
The Reds had three choices:
1.) Wilkin Castillo
2.) Drew Sutton
3.) Craig Tatum

Tatum has been just as bad as Castillo in AAA, but he has even less versatility. The Reds could have taken Sutton (and his .706 OPS at AAA this year), but with Hairston and Janish on the team, what's the point? The move was all about getting a guy who bats from both sides and gives the Reds defensive versatility.

mth123
05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
If not Castillo, then who? Several here are complaining about Wilkin coming up, but few are offering viable options.

I'm no fan of Castillo's, but other than Sutton, nobody else is on the 40 man (besides Yonder & Juan...and neither of them are close to ready yet). If we bring up someone else, doesn't that mean we'd have to DFA somebody else? (I'm far from an expert on the way the 40 man/25 man rosters work in regards to the DL and stuff)

The Reds can still put Bray on the 60 Man DL to make a 40 man spot. They could have chosen anyone. Probably didn't want to burn an option or start the clock on Stubbs. With lefties going, it made Richar a poor fit. Wes Bankston might not have been a bad idea.

Castillo provides C depth while Hanigan starts at C and Hernandez at 1B with Votto still dizzy. I'd have taken my chances doing that anyway and called up Bankston to sub for Bruce against the lefty. Bruce really needs a day off IMO.

remdog
05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
The Reds had three choices:
1.) Wilkin Castillo
2.) Drew Sutton
3.) Craig Tatum

Tatum has been just as bad as Castillo in AAA, but he has even less versatility. The Reds could have taken Sutton (and his .706 OPS at AAA this year), but with Hairston and Janish on the team, what's the point? The move was all about getting a guy who bats from both sides and gives the Reds defensive versatility.

I think that pretty much explains the situation if you're keeping score at home.

Rem

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Wilkin Castillo - OF May. 24 - 12:11 pm et

Reds recalled catcher-outfielder Wilkin Castillo from Triple-A Louisville.

It's about time he got rewarded for hitting .207 with an 18/1 K/BB ratio and four RBI in 92 at-bats for Louisville. What took the Reds so long?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=CIN

Rounding Third
05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Good thing we traded Jeff Keppinger

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Dusty said that both Hanigan & Ramon were "sore", so that in itself lends to Castillo over someone like Bankston. I know people were clamorring for Bankston earlier in the season, but he's been a big bucket of suckitude since the Rosales callup. I'll pass on Wes. (not that Wilkin's been better...just more versitile defensively & a switch hitter to boot)

Falls City Beer
05-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Right now there is not a single minor leaguer for whom the Reds need to make any major alterations; no superstar on the horizon, not even a single potential everyday player. So what you're going to get is, as mentioned above, versatility--the ability to field a couple of positions at best. The organization is just so talent-thin at the top of the minors right now that no promotion is going to look pretty to the folks at Redszone. And they won't look good for a while (barring a trade).

BCubb2003
05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
"He can stand at several positions."

mth123
05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Dusty said that both Hanigan & Ramon were "sore", so that in itself lends to Castillo over someone like Bankston. I know people were clamorring for Bankston earlier in the season, but he's been a big bucket of suckitude since the Rosales callup. I'll pass on Wes. (not that Wilkin's been better...just more versitile defensively & a switch hitter to boot)

Bankston is no star. Its more about getting Bruce a day off against a lefty.

TheNext44
05-24-2009, 01:13 PM
With Votto still woozy, and Phillips hurt, the Reds needed a third catcher and an extra infielder. When Hernandez plays 1B and Hanigan catching, that limits the Reds flexibility in making moves in the middle of the game.

With Castillo, now they have flexibility galore.

With so many guys banged up, a guy who can play multiple positions can be more valuable than a solid bat off the bench.

Tony Cloninger
05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Where is Cesar Tovar when you need him?

How about trying to sign a Frank Catta....sorry forgot his last name.

mth123
05-24-2009, 01:22 PM
With Votto still woozy, and Phillips hurt, the Reds needed a third catcher and an extra infielder. When Hernandez plays 1B and Hanigan catching, that limits the Reds flexibility in making moves in the middle of the game.

With Castillo, now they have flexibility galore.

With so many guys banged up, a guy who can play multiple positions can be more valuable than a solid bat off the bench.

Not a huge complaint really. FCB is right in that there really wasn't a good choice. I just think getting Bruce a day off would probably be more valuable than anything any of the guys called up will provide. But hey, if Hernandez and Hanigan are a little sore, can't argue with Castillo much.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Bankston is no star. Its more about getting Bruce a day off against a lefty.

Nix, Hairston, Dickerson, Taveras, Gomes, Bruce and now Castillo. I'd say we've got enough OF'ers to give Jay a day off without calling up Bankston...even prior to Wilkin coming up.

mth123
05-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Nix, Hairston, Dickerson, Taveras, Gomes, Bruce and now Castillo. I'd say we've got enough OF'ers to give Jay a day off without calling up Bankston...even prior to Wilkin coming up.

With Hairston needed at 2B, only Taveras and Gomes hit RH. Castillo is a SH, but hits better as a lefty. Also need power if Bruce is to sit.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't disagree with you mth123, but I don't see Bankston as being that solution. I'd rather take my chances with one of the current guys going against the wrong handedness.

CTA513
05-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Good thing we traded Jeff Keppinger

He hasn't done much with the Astros and is hitting under .200 for May.

Big Klu
05-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Also, you can slide Janish into 2B and move Hairston to RF.

Kc61
05-24-2009, 02:46 PM
While I think Castillo is clearly the right guy for this spot, keep in mind he replaces Bailey on the roster. That means Reds now have 11 pitchers. When Volquez comes back -- or when some other pitcher comes up to replace V if he can't make his next start -- Reds will have to drop someone.

It could be Phillips on the DL. Or it could be Castillo right back down. But it will be a position player.

joshnky
05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
While I think Castillo is clearly the right guy for this spot, keep in mind he replaces Bailey on the roster. That means Reds now have 11 pitchers. When Volquez comes back -- or when some other pitcher comes up to replace V if he can't make his next start -- Reds will have to drop someone.

It could be Phillips on the DL. Or it could be Castillo right back down. But it will be a position player.

As you suggest, this is much adieu about nothing. Castillo is just place holder until Volquez comes back or they call up someone else if EV is taking longer than expected. They probably preferred the flexibility of Castillo and wanted to allow the true prospects to play every day instead of sit the bench in Cincy.

Really, why do we get so upset about the 25th man on the roster?

mth123
05-24-2009, 03:41 PM
As you suggest, this is much adieu about nothing. Castillo is just place holder until Volquez comes back or they call up someone else if EV is taking longer than expected. They probably preferred the flexibility of Castillo and wanted to allow the true prospects to play every day instead of sit the bench in Cincy.

Really, why do we get so upset about the 25th man on the roster?

Castillo probably goes back on Tuesday when Masset gets activated.

Its important because of Today;' game. Bruce needs to sit. He's going horribly wrong at the plate. Those three deep flies he's hit the last two days would normally be HR. He needs to sit, watch and chill out - especially against a guy like Lee who is one of the best LH starters going right now.

Bruce sitting today may have had a more positive impact over the next couple weeks than anything Bankston, Castillo or anyone else was likely to do today, but w/o a RH power bat to turn to, no way Dusty sits him. Its really the only reason it matters.

Nobody is upset. Its a discussion board and I'm discussing. If we all just posted "good move" every time it would be pretty boring on here.

camisadelgolf
05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Right now there is not a single minor leaguer for whom the Reds need to make any major alterations; no superstar on the horizon, not even a single potential everyday player. So what you're going to get is, as mentioned above, versatility--the ability to field a couple of positions at best. The organization is just so talent-thin at the top of the minors right now that no promotion is going to look pretty to the folks at Redszone. And they won't look good for a while (barring a trade).
Talent-thin? Compared to whom? Personally, I see a lot of future Major Leaguers, and a few of them will be impact players.

Todd Frazier
Drew Stubbs
Zack Cozart
Chris Valaika
Zach Stewart
Josh Roenicke
Danny Dorn
Homer Bailey
Juan Francisco
Chris Heisey
Carlos Fisher
Pedro Viola
Robert Manuel
Travis Wood
Matt Maloney
Jordan Smith
Daryl Thompson
Bill Bray
Dallas Buck
Sean Watson

. . . and don't forget about other guys like:
Ramon Ramirez
Sam LeCure
Scott Carroll
Ben Jukich
Alex Smit
Adam Pettyjohn
Craig Tatum
Logan Parker
Drew Sutton
Wes Bankston
Sean Henry
Danny Richar
Norris Hopper

That's also not to mention the talent in Sarasota, where the ceilings are much higher (i.e. Devin Mesoraco, Yonder Alonso, Nefi Soto, Alex Buchholz, Jeremy Horst, Phil Valiquette, etc.). I would say the Reds are anything but talent-thin in the upper minors, and they have great depth in the mid-minors, too.

Big Klu
05-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Castillo probably goes back on Tuesday when Masset gets activated.

Its important because of Today;' game. Bruce needs to sit. He's going horribly wrong at the plate. Those three deep flies he's hit the last two days would normally be HR. He needs to sit, watch and chill out - especially against a guy like Lee who is one of the best LH starters going right now.

Bruce sitting today may have had a more positive impact over the next couple weeks than anything Bankston, Castillo or anyone else was likely to do today, but w/o a RH power bat to turn to, no way Dusty sits him. Its really the only reason it matters.

Nobody is upset. Its a discussion board and I'm discussing. If we all just posted "good move" every time it would be pretty boring on here.

Tomorrow's game vs. the Astros and Wandy Wodwiguez would be a good day to give Bruce a day off. Maybe start Hairston in RF and Janish at 2B?

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Tomorrow's game vs. the Astros and Wandy Wodwiguez would be a good day to give Bruce a day off. Maybe start Hairston in RF and Janish at 2B?

I agree. The last time Bruce was given a day off, he came back and went on a tear. He's been hitting into a lot of bad luck lately + he's chasing some bad pitches.

I saw where someone suggested sending him to Triple-A. That's crazy, IMO. Despite his struggles, he's still OPSing around .800 and playing great defense. Oh, and he's 22 years old. He's going to be a stud.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM

The Reds are saying that Masset should be back on Tuesday (after his DL stint ends) and that's he's ready now.

Patrick Bateman
05-24-2009, 05:19 PM
. . . and don't forget about other guys like:
Ramon Ramirez
Sam LeCure
Scott Carroll
Ben Jukich
Alex Smit
Adam Pettyjohn
Craig Tatum
Logan Parker
Drew Sutton
Wes Bankston
Sean Henry
Danny Richar
Norris Hopper

That's a list that should largely be ignored. Sutton is about the only guy there that has a chance to play a meaningful role someday.

_Sir_Charles_
05-24-2009, 05:20 PM
That's a list that should largely be ignored. Sutton is about the only guy there that has a chance to play a meaningful role someday.

I'd add Ramirez & Jukich to that list, but overall I'd agree.

VR
05-24-2009, 05:36 PM
nm

camisadelgolf
05-25-2009, 02:07 AM
I said 'not to mention' those guys. Some of them could surprise us, but I think the list I provided is more than long enough to support my argument.