PDA

View Full Version : Homer Down, Wilkin Up

TheBigLebowski
05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Didn't see a Sun Deck thread on this anywhere..

Wilkin Castillo hitting a robust .207 in AAA with a healthy 18/1 K/BB ratio. All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time."

nmculbreth
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Didn't see a Sun Deck thread on this anywhere..

Wilkin Castillo hitting a robust .207 in AAA with a healthy 18/1 K/BB ratio. All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time."

It's hard to say Castillo earned the promotion but given the current state of the roster having a versatile player like Castillo makes a lot of sense. If Votto is going to continue to miss time and Ramon Hernandez is going to fill in at 1B, having another player who can fill in at catcher is probably a good idea.

GOYA
05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
We can only hope he never plays.

Player G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E
Castillo 27 92 10 19 4 1 1 4 28 1 18 3 0 .223 .304 .207 .528 5

Maldez
05-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Homer should stay down. I don't know if he's ever going to be ready for ML hitters.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Homer should stay down. I don't know if he's ever going to be ready for ML hitters.

I think he could consistently get ML hitters out it is just that he is not throwing strikes consistently

Dude Rock
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I think he could consistently get ML hitters out it is just that he is not throwing strikes consistently

...........and that's part of getting ML hitters out.

They should have left him down in triple A to pad his numbers and increase his trade value. That might have been his last chance with the Reds ML roster.

Va Red Fan
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM

They should have left him down in triple A to pad his numbers and increase his trade value. That might have been his last chance with the Reds ML roster.

I doubt this is his last shot. It was a last minute fill in start. They had to have somebody and he was just the warm body this time.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM

You got me worrying about Bruce now....lmao

Newman4
05-24-2009, 10:31 PM
\All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time..."

...he is released. ;)

reds1869
05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
If you have this year's Baseball Prospectus annual, check out his entry. They talk about the "mark of the third catcher" who is doomed to watch the starters but never join them. Pretty funny stuff.

jfar23
05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Homer will likely be fine. He is a victim of unrealistic expectations right now. He needs to stay in AAA until he gets it together. He had given up 9 homers in 45 innings in AAA...he is not ready for the majors. Not everyone is Johnny Cueto even if they were projected to be.

GOYA
05-25-2009, 12:35 PM

And that's part of getting AA hitters out too.

flash
05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
The Reds might have called Homer up so the Indians could have a look at him. The Indians pitching is next to last in the American League. Delarosa is on the block right now

LouisvilleCARDS
05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Last man on the roster, someone who won't play unless in an emergency. A waste of a spot though, I think we could find some free agent fodder from some old timer to come off the bench and pinch hit or something though. It would be nice to get someone to come in and play that Lenny Harris role.

There's still a few out there that don't have a team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?type=avail&season=2008

Dude Rock
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
The Reds might have called Homer up so the Indians could have a look at him. The Indians pitching is next to last in the American League. Delarosa is on the block right now

No thanks.

Frankly, I see few players I'm even interested in........that the Reds would be willing to trade and pay for. Holiday isn't going to happen.......too expensive as a rent a player. I just see no one of value that the Reds would trade for............and therefore I see them going with what they got and seeing what happens.

Still feel this is an improvement year with management finding out what works and what doesn't, and trying to fix it in the offseason. Although Hernandez, Weathers, and AGon all have expensive options for another season that most likely will be declined..........so they could be gone. I'd like to have Hernandez back, but not for $8 million. I wouldn't even mind Gonzo back for like $1 million........but not for $6 million (his option).

Captain Hook
05-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Last man on the roster, someone who won't play unless in an emergency. A waste of a spot though, I think we could find some free agent fodder from some old timer to come off the bench and pinch hit or something though. It would be nice to get someone to come in and play that Lenny Harris role.

There's still a few out there that don't have a team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?type=avail&season=2008

Your basically right but one thing that this move does is allows Hanigan to get more ABs.He has been wasting away on the bench when he doesn't start because Dusty won't use his only other catcher to PH very often.I can think of more then a few times in critical situations when the Reds could have used Hanigan but instead used a lesser option because of that.Also Hernandez is basically our back up at 1st as well and with Votto still not being 100% this move does make some sense to me.

flash
05-25-2009, 11:03 PM
The Reds have very few options behind Hanigan and Hernandez. The haven't got any cathchers batting over .210 until you get down to Sarasota and Dayton. I'd look for both Bour and Coddington to move up this season if the situation doesn't improve.

Captain Hook
05-25-2009, 11:16 PM
The Reds have very few options behind Hanigan and Hernandez. The haven't got any cathchers batting over .210 until you get down to Sarasota and Dayton. I'd look for both Bour and Coddington to move up this season if the situation doesn't improve.

Not that I am a fan of Wilkin but he can also play other positions.I guess you could say he is versatile.Not a bad option to have on the bench.They obviously thought he could bring more to the table then McD did.I guess what I'm saying is that I don't look at it as we have Wilkin as a RH bat off the bench instead of McD as much as I look at it as we have Hanigan instead instead of McD.If that makes any sense.

corwinator3407
05-26-2009, 02:10 AM
No thanks.
Still feel this is an improvement year with management finding out what works and what doesn't, and trying to fix it in the offseason. Although Hernandez, Weathers, and AGon all have expensive options for another season that most likely will be declined..........so they could be gone. I'd like to have Hernandez back, but not for $8 million. I wouldn't even mind Gonzo back for like $1 million........but not for $6 million (his option).

With Gonzalez gone and what he's doing right now, why wouldn't you want Hernandez back? And then who would catch?

Dude Rock
05-26-2009, 08:55 AM
With Gonzalez gone and what he's doing right now, why wouldn't you want Hernandez back? And then who would catch?

I didn't say I didn't want him back. If you read mlbtraderumors.com, they have an article about the Reds 2010 payroll, and say the Reds will decline the options on Hernandez ($8million) and Gonzalez ($6 million). Now, they could re-sign each of them for a lesser amount.