PDA

View Full Version : Rockies DFA Belisle, recall Fogg

Tom Servo
05-25-2009, 12:42 PM
How on earth did that team go to the World Series two seasons ago?

Rockies designated RHP Matt Belisle for assignment.

Belisle failed to make the Rockies out of spring training and posted an 8.31 ERA in 17 1/3 innings once he was called up. He may end up accepting an assignment back to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Fogg will work out of the bullpen, mainly in long relief. He had a 5.80 ERA and 16/17 K/BB ratio in eight starts for Colorado Springs. We're not expecting big things, and you shouldn't either. Matt Belisle was DFA'd to make room.
from rotoworld

traderumor
05-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, GAB was known as Coors East for awhile. Rockies and Reds apparently caught up in a bizzare parallel universe that occasionally crosses each other's orbit.

Hap
05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Rockies and Reds apparently caught up in a bizzare parallel universe that occasionally crosses each other's orbit.

Correct.

That means we will win our final 16 or so games this season and then lose the World Series to the Red Sox.

CarolinaRedleg
05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Choosing between Matt Belisle and Josh Fogg is the equivalent of choosing between a kick to the groin with steel-toed boots or taking a baseball bat to the ribs.

Joseph
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Choosing between Matt Belisle and Josh Fogg is the equivalent of choosing between a kick to the groin with steel-toed boots or taking a baseball bat to the ribs.

Give me the baseball bat to the ribs please.

GAC
05-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Better them then us. ;)

Always Red
05-25-2009, 07:50 PM

That's some craptabulous pitching right there.

fisch11
05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Did Jim Bowden get on the front office in Colorado?

Rojo
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Tigers behind both doors.

Az Red
05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Wasn't so long ago, eh Reds fans...

Eric_the_Red
05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Wasn't so long ago, eh Reds fans...

And last night Eric Milton got the win for the Dodgers.

Ahhh, memories.... :eek:

RichRed
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM

With none other than Juan Castro playing SS and going 2 for 4.

Chip R
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM

With none other than Juan Castro playing SS and going 2 for 4.

You guys can stop joking around now.

alexad
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Correct.

That means we will win our final 16 or so games this season and then lose the World Series to the Red Sox.

I would have no problem going to the World Series at this point. I would like to win it, but getting there is the major battle. There would be major celebration in Reds Land. Can you imagine the bandwagon jumpers that would come out of the woods for this?????

alexad
05-27-2009, 10:34 AM

That would be a tough decision. What would be the equivalent for that Anderson Dude we got for Sean Casey?? That might be reaching down my throat and ripping my heart out.....

RichRed
05-27-2009, 10:43 AM
You guys can stop joking around now.

If you thought that was funny, hold on: Castro's OPS is 1.006.

BRM
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
If you thought that was funny, hold on: Castro's OPS is 1.006.

That's just crazy talk.

Chip R
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
You guys are a hoot. Next thing you'll be telling me is that the Reds have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball. :lol:

Captain Hook
10-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Belisle is now pitching for the Rockies with a 5-3 lead in the 7th.This can't be good for them.

Captain Hook
10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow.

2 up 2 down.Just struck out Rollins.

Captain Hook
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Retired the side in order.Nice job Matt!

You still stink.:D

TheNext44
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Retired the side in order.Nice job Matt!

You still stink.:D

He just got lucky. ;)

*BaseClogger*
10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
He just got lucky. ;)

The BABIP is regressing to the mean! It's regressing! :D

Captain Hook
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
That was a really important inning for the Rockies and they don't have someone better then Matt Belisle?He did a nice job but I can't believe he's even on the roster.Looks like in Sept. he only allowed 2 ER in 12 IP but he still ended up with an ERA well over 5.I guess they like his stuff enough to throw him out there in the 7th inning of a playoff game while leading by just 2 runs.

Heath
10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think Belisle's stuff was the issue. He doesn't know what to do with it.

Hap
10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
He just got lucky. ;)

Could he possibly be just another in the long line of mediocre pitchers that stunk it up with the Reds but found success with better coaching and a better organization?

Chip R
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Could he possibly be just another in the long line of mediocre pitchers that stunk it up with the Reds but found success with better coaching and a better organization?

Good point but how much success has he had if he was DFAed for Josh Fogg earlier in the season? Sure, now he's on the playoff roster and was successful but has he all of a sudden turned the corner?

Patrick Bateman
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Good point but how much success has he had if he was DFAed for Josh Fogg earlier in the season? Sure, now he's on the playoff roster and was successful but has he all of a sudden turned the corner?

Well he has an ERA well into the 5's....

camisadelgolf
10-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Well he has an ERA well into the 5's....
ERA, especially with such a small sample size, is a horrible way to judge how well a pitcher has pitched. Sometimes it's the result of bad defense, bad luck, pitching in a hitters park, etc. Matt Belisle has a 1.290 WHIP and 4.40 K/BB ratio--both of which are pretty good. He has done a very good job since being called back up in September, so perhaps he really has turned a corner.

redhawkfish
10-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Wasn't Belisle's problem the second time through the order when he was with the Reds?

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2009, 01:14 PM
ERA, especially with such a small sample size, is a horrible way to judge how well a pitcher has pitched. Sometimes it's the result of bad defense, bad luck, pitching in a hitters park, etc. Matt Belisle has a 1.290 WHIP and 4.40 K/BB ratio--both of which are pretty good. He has done a very good job since being called back up in September, so perhaps he really has turned a corner.

Oh please, I know that. His periperhals are basically the same as they have always been.

I used to be condemned for using that argument in support of Belisle. But after awhile, at what point do you sit down and say that Belisle is a guy who is not going to perform to his peripherals?

His HR/FB rate is about 15% EVERY year. His line drive rate is continuously high. Other posters convinced me before the Reds cut bait with him that Belisle is a guy who appears to be an exception to the rule.

Needless to say, it's hard to suggest that based on the information that we have, that the line that Belisle has posted since leaving Cincy over about 40 innings is indicitive of a guy that has "finally got it" and another mistake by the Reds. He's been basically the same guy.

So unless he was always a decent pitcher, and is just coincedentally having another unlucky season, then he has not "got it". At this point, he needs to be able to prove he can perform to his peripherals before we can accept them at face value. Until then, I'm very comfortable looking at his ERA to judge whether he has made the necessary improvements.

camisadelgolf
10-10-2009, 03:02 PM
The Reds made the right decision in DFAing Belisle, but what he has done since September has actually been pretty good. Even his ERA suggests that much. He'll never be above average imo, but he's not so bad that the Rockies putting him on their playoff roster is going to make the difference between them winning/losing a series.

IslandRed
10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I used to be condemned for using that argument in support of Belisle. But after awhile, at what point do you sit down and say that Belisle is a guy who is not going to perform to his peripherals?

I subscribe to the "measure the peripherals" theory myself, but the fundamental concept behind it -- that the timing of the events is completely random -- is one I've never fully bought. For many guys, probably. Most, even. But this is a game where the line between good and mediocre can be razor-thin (cue the Crash Davis "one hit a week" speech) and some pitchers seem to have a knack for minimizing damage. Or not.

In theory, guys who have a problem with throwing the wrong pitch to the wrong spot at the wrong time wouldn't make the major leagues in the first place, but if they have good enough arms they still might.

cincinnati chili
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
The Rockies made Belisle their Triple-A closer after the all-star break. He responded by pitching 25.2 innings with a 30/2 strikeout to walk ratio, 9 saves, and a 2.10 ERA. Does anyone know if Colorado Springs uses a humidor? If not, those are spectacular numbers, even over a short stretch. I'm as shocked as anybody. The Rockies announcers did say that the Triple-A people did some work with him between his DFA and his ascent to minor league closer.

Still, if the Rockies advance and if Jorge De La Rosa is available for the NLCS, it wouldn't be a shock for Belisle to get left off the next round's roster.