PDA

View Full Version : 13 straight games against NL Central opponents

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Today's game against the Astros marked the beginning of a streak of 13 consecutive games against NL Central opponents. This is a very important stretch of the season for the Reds. We have three games vs the Astros, three at Milwaukee, four in St. Louis, and then three at home against the Cubs. IMO, we'll learn a lot about the Reds over the next two weeks. If they go out and finish with a winning record during this stretch they'll really catch the attention of everyone. Obviously today they got off on the right foot with a 8-5 win vs the Astros. IMO, a realistic goal should be a 7-6 record during this stretch. That would put the Reds at 30-26 with upcoming series against teams like the Nationals, Royals, Braves, White Sox, Indians, and Diamondbacks. Anything better than 7-6 would be a bonus.

I'll update this thread with our record after each game during the next two weeks.

1-0 so far.

VR
05-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Today's game against the Astros marked the beginning of a streak of 13 consecutive games against NL Central opponents. This is a very important stretch of the season for the Reds. We have three games vs the Astros, three at Milwaukee, four in St. Louis, and then three at home against the Cubs. IMO, we'll learn a lot about the Reds over the next two weeks. If they go out and finish with a winning record during this stretch they'll really catch the attention of everyone. Obviously today they got off on the right foot with a 8-5 win vs the Astros. IMO, a realistic goal should be a 7-6 record during this stretch. That would put the Reds at 30-26 with upcoming series against teams like the Nationals, Royals, Braves, White Sox, Indians, and Diamondbacks. Anything better than 7-6 would be a bonus.

I'll update this thread with our record after each game during the next two weeks.

1-0 so far.

Brutal June schedule for the Reds. Hoping Votto, Masset, Volquez are 100% by then....w/ EE and BP close behind.

Topcat
05-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Need the impact guys back with out question. That being said, having depth is so freakin sweet. Major love for Rosey who shouldn't be on team but has come up very key on his time up.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
6-4 win tonight against Roy Oswalt and the Astros.

2-0 record so far.

fearofpopvol1
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
It was an impressive win. When you can run Owings out against Oswalt (and have Phillips out of the lineup) and pull together a comeback win...that's big.

HeatherC1212
05-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I feel like we've played the Astros about 95 times all ready this year but the fact that we've faced Oswalt like four times and he still doesn't have a win against us is REALLY impressive to me. This team does NOT give up! :thumbup:

kaldaniels
05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Any idea who is pitching Sat/Sun for the Reds...will Volquez be eligible/ready to come back?

Ron Madden
05-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Any idea who is pitching Sat/Sun for the Reds...will Volquez be eligible/ready to come back?

As of today, Volquez is supposed to pitch Monday.

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Friday - Cueto
Saturday - Harang
Sunday - Owings
Monday - Volquez

nate
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Great win last night. I got freaking CRANKED when Votto hit the HR. I further CRANKED myself when Rosales fired that rail gun on the game ending DP. Thus, I left the game CRANKED.

Whew...I'm gonna go do some laps now!

...around the fridge!

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Great win last night. I got freaking CRANKED when Votto hit the HR. I further CRANKED myself when Rosales fired that rail gun on the game ending DP. Thus, I left the game CRANKED.

Whew...I'm gonna go do some laps now!

...around the fridge!

How great was that double play by Rosales? I thought that was a basehit all the way off the bat. Rosales has played a great third base in this series.

BRM
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I further CRANKED myself

Dude, this is a family board.

nate
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
How great was that double play by Rosales? I thought that was a basehit all the way off the bat. Rosales has played a great third base in this series.

Man, it was such a bang-bang play, I thought he just banked it over there.

nate
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Dude, this is a family board.

Sorry, dude!

:cool:

NJReds
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM

It's good to see that the Reds can reach down to AAA and bring up quality players like Rosales and Fisher that are able to fill in when a starter goes down.

There are 25 spots on the roster, and for way too long the Reds had guys who didn't deserve to be on a major league roster wasting space. Mostly because they didn't have the talent in the minors. I don't think anyone is proclaiming these guys as all-stars, but they've all been able to contribute to the Reds success so far.

I(heart)Freel
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I know he doesn't have a place on this team anymore, but has anyone else enjoyed watching Kepp swing the bat again?

Just one of those ex-Reds I'll always follow in the box scores each day, I guess.

[Completely unrelated note: my Power Pak group is looking to sell our 6 moon deck seats to the first Cubs game, June 5, if anyone is interested. Face value only, if they go to a Reds fan. PM me if interested. Thanks.]

Homer Bailey
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
It's good to see that the Reds can reach down to AAA and bring up quality players like Rosales and Fisher that are able to fill in when a starter goes down.

There are 25 spots on the roster, and for way too long the Reds had guys who didn't deserve to be on a major league roster wasting space. Mostly because they didn't have the talent in the minors. I don't think anyone is proclaiming these guys as all-stars, but they've all been able to contribute to the Reds success so far.

Haha. Not to nitpick, but we did have Darnell McDonald on the roster for 40 games, so we aren't really that far removed from those days, if at all.

That being said, I agree about the contributions of Rosales, Fisher, Gomes, etc.

Falls City Beer
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Haha. Not to nitpick, but we did have Darnell McDonald on the roster for 40 games, so we aren't really that far removed from those days, if at all.

That being said, I agree about the contributions of Rosales, Fisher, Gomes, etc.

If we're nitpicking why stop at McDonald? Why not Burton and Lincoln?

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
3-0 record so far.

Tonight's game was just a joy to watch. The pitching was great. How about Bronson Arroyo throwing a complete game on only 92 pitches? The defense was good and the offense was great as well. Jay Bruce busted out with a 3-for-4 night with 2 homers, a triple, and 4 RBI.

Hopefully the Reds can carry this hot streak into Milwaukee and St. Louis. A 4-3 road trip would be awesome.

red-in-la
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
The Reds have a chance to grab a hold of 1st place. I would be disappointed if they fail. If EV is healthy, I am going for something like 5-2. I am guess 2-1 in Mil and 3-1 is St L.

HeatherC1212
05-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Tonight's game was just a joy to watch. The pitching was great. How about Bronson Arroyo throwing a complete game on only 92 pitches? The defense was good and the offense was great as well. Jay Bruce busted out with a 3-for-4 night with 2 homers, a triple, and 4 RBI.

Hopefully the Reds can carry this hot streak into Milwaukee and St. Louis. A 4-3 road trip would be awesome.

Jay did all that on the year anniversary of his call up from AAA too. Not too shabby! :D

WebScorpion
05-28-2009, 03:53 AM
6-4 win tonight against Roy Oswalt and the Astros.

2-0 record so far.
Our 5th starter against our nemesis, Roy Oswalt and we win it! This reminds me of a game in 1999 where Ron 'The Diesel' Villone went up against Randy Johnson and won. It was a turning point. :thumbup:

cincrazy
05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
3-0 record so far.

Well, we were hoping for 5-5, best case 6-4, when they went on that 7-3 tear early in the season on the road. So since we're hoping for 4-3, I'm gonna predict they go 7-0 :cool:

In all seriousness, this is a BIG chance for the Reds to show they're for real. On June 21st of 1999 the Reds began a 7 game road trip in Arizona, and ended up sweeping the Dbacks and then going to Houston and sweeping the Astros for a 7-0 road trip. That's when everyone took notice, IMO, that the 1999 team was for real. I'm not saying a 7-0 trip is necessary to do that here, but a good showing can certainly go a long ways in getting the attention of the other teams in the division.

Scrap Irony
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
3-4 my prediction. St. Louis too often clobbers the Reds at home. And they look again like possibilities to do just that. Milwaukee is another matter, but Phillips isn't likely to be at full strength (or anything close) and he's usually the main slugger in the Red lineup.

WebScorpion
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
The Reds have a chance to grab a hold of 1st place. I would be disappointed if they fail. If EV is healthy, I am going for something like 5-2. I am guess 2-1 in Mil and 3-1 is St L.
It looks like we'll send Cueto, Harang, and Owings up against the Brewers...I like our chances to take 2 of those. St. Louis will get a very fresh Volquez, and then Arroyo, Cueto, and Harang all on an extra days rest. I think we will take 3 of those 4. So I'm down for the 5-2 prediction too. :thumbup:

Ron Madden
05-29-2009, 03:06 AM
I'd be happy if the Reds win 4 outta the next 7 games for 2 reasons.

1. The Brewers are a much better team than many in this thread give them credit for being.

2. It's never easy to go into St. Louis and win a series.

I'd be very happy with a 5-2 or 6-1 record though. :)

Scrap Irony
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
3-4 record is my guess, though 2-5 is certainly possible. Anything above that is gravy.

SunDeck
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Our 5th starter against our nemesis, Roy Oswalt and we win it! This reminds me of a game in 1999 where Ron 'The Diesel' Villone went up against Randy Johnson and won. It was a turning point. :thumbup:

What a game that was. Johnson struck out everyone, Villone threw a one hitter through eight and walked only two...about nine fewer than he usually did! It was the only game I saw from the blue that year.

I'll be ecstatic if they take 4 of 7. This team is streaky- even five could happen. Or then again they could drop six.

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Tough, tough loss tonight. Poor Johnny Cueto. He continues to throw gem after gem and has nothing to show for it. The Reds should have won that game tonight. Overall, I think Dusty Baker has did a solid job this season but he was bad tonight, IMO. Why wasn't Chris Dickerson bunting with two on and nobody out in the 8th inning? If he was hitting well lately I could understand letting him swing away, but he hasn't hit well. And why did Phillips pinch hit for Hanigan in the 9th inning? Hanigan had been on base in both of his plate appearances. To make things worse, Phillips bunted.

You gotta win those games.

3-1 record now.

membengal
05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Dusty is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't on the bunting thing. I am not second-guessing Dickerson swinging away. Lefties are .333 against Coffey, Willy T was due up next and righties are only .231 against Coffey. Even if Dickerson gets the bunt down (no sure thing), not sure about giving an out away and hoping willy, who is badly slumping, gets the runner in. I thought Dusty's choice was fine, the outcome unfortunate. It happens.

Eric_the_Red
05-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Dusty is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't on the bunting thing. I am not second-guessing Dickerson swinging away. Lefties are .333 against Coffey, Willy T was due up next and righties are only .231 against Coffey. Even if Dickerson gets the bunt down (no sure thing), not sure about giving an out away and hoping willy, who is badly slumping, gets the runner in. I thought Dusty's choice was fine, the outcome unfortunate. It happens.

Good point. I think too often fans assume outcomes of alternative scenarios. For example, fans assume the bunt would be laid down successfully and Taveras would have knocked in a run. We all know that may not have happened.

And, if it did, how many post-game radio calls or posts on Redszone would be made praising Baker for a good job managing? My guess: 0.

_Sir_Charles_
05-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree. I thought Baker managed that game quite well. My ONLY problem with it was the pinch hitting of Phillips for Hanigan. Brandon's been out for several days now, and he's got VERY little experience pinch hitting. Ryan, however, is swinging a VERY hot bat...and even when he's not getting hits, he's having VERY solid at bats. 0 for 0 with 2 walks yesterday...oh yeah, and he's hitting .328/.397/.420. No chance I pinch hit for him there.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Another tough and frustrating loss tonight. When the pitching has a rare off night, the offense finally shows up and when the pitching is on, the offense is dead. Case in point, last night the Reds held the Brewers to three runs on three hits but the Reds offense could only muster two runs. Tonight, the offense scored five runs but Aaron Harang had a bad game. Both of these games in Milwaukee were very winnable.

The Reds really hurt themselves tonight. They made three outs on the basepaths, Harang was left in way too long, and they made a couple bad pitches while ahead in the count which led to multiple runs.

We need Owings to step up and win tomorrow.

3-2 now.

TheNext44
05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Another tough and frustrating loss tonight. When the pitching has a rare off night, the offense finally shows up and when the pitching is on, the offense is dead. Case in point, last night the Reds held the Brewers to three runs on three hits but the Reds offense could only muster two runs. Tonight, the offense scored five runs but Aaron Harang had a bad game. Both of these games in Milwaukee were very winnable.

The Reds really hurt themselves tonight. They made three outs on the basepaths, Harang was left in way too long, and they made a couple bad pitches while ahead in the count which led to multiple runs.

We need Owings to step up and win tomorrow.

3-2 now.

I never blame the umps for losing a game, good teams always overcome bad luck, which includes the rare blown call by an ump.

However, the umps blew two calls tonight, the tag out of Nix on the DP line drive by Hernandez and the out call at home on Hanigan, both in the 4th.

Hanigan looked like he got his foot in under the tag, which was high on his hip. Tough call for the ump, as he was clearly blocked from seeing the tag and just had to do his best and guess. Not calling him out. But he did look safe and that was one run.

But let's just say the ump got it right the earlier call was the big one.

Nix was clearly safe. Again, tough call, but he clearly was safe. It was bang-bang, so can't fault the ump on that one either.

But that leaves a runner on first, and one out. Gonzo's double would have scored him, that's one run, and then most likely, Berry does not send Hanigan home on Harang's double, which would leave runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out and a hot Dickerson at the plate. Who knows how many runs would the Reds would have scored, completely changing the game.

You can justifiably argue that if Nix is called safe, Bush pitches everyone differently and he gets out if with out any runs scoring. Regardless, that call had definitely changed the game.

And again, it all is moot point if Harang doesn't leave the ball over the plate as often as he did.

Ron Madden
05-31-2009, 04:49 AM
I'd like to see Owings pitch well enough to get four ABs.

Gotta win this one.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Another game of missed opportunities. The pitching was far from great - they allowed five runs in the first three innings - but they settled down and shutout the Brewers the rest of the way. Unfortunately, the offense failed to show up.

Missed opportunities:

2nd inning - bases loaded, one out = no runs scored.

3rd inning - first and second, one out = no runs scored

4th inning - runner on second, no outs = no runs

6th inning - first and third, one out = no runs

7th inning - runner on first, no outs = no runs

They didn't score a single run in those situations. One of the most puzzling moves (or lack there of) of the season came in the 6th inning. The Reds had runners on first and third with only one out and Chris Dickerson up. The Brewers had a tough lefty in who has held lefties to a sub .600 OPS. As we know, Dickerson struggles vs LHP, and Gomes was available, yet Dickerson was allowed to hit for himself. Gomes should have pinch hit, IMO.

Now the Reds have to go into St. Louis and win 3 of 4 just to salvage this road trip.

3-3 now.

BCubb2003
05-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Getting swept feels worse than sweeping feels good.

Big Klu
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
One of the most puzzling moves (or lack there of) of the season came in the 6th inning. The Reds had runners on first and third with only one out and Chris Dickerson up. The Brewers had a tough lefty in who has held lefties to a sub .600 OPS. As we know, Dickerson struggles vs LHP, and Gomes was available, yet Dickerson was allowed to hit for himself. Gomes should have pinch hit, IMO.

I agree. I have been largely supportive of Dusty this season, but I would have used Gomes to PH for Dickerson, and left him in the game in LF with Nix moving to CF. If the lefty is still in there when Nix comes to bat, use Rosales to PH for him. Rosales can then stay in the game at 3B with Hairston moving to CF. Janish would have then been my choice to PH for the pitcher in the top of the eighth.

Edskin
05-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Getting swept feels worse than sweeping feels good.

No doubt. Feels like that annual meltdown stretch of games is upon us---hope I'm wrong and that Milwaukee was just hot this weekend. Drop 3 or 4 to the Cards this week and we erase most of the good we did the past two weeks.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Even if the Reds go into St. Louis and split the four game series, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Three of four would be nice, but 2-2 would be OK. That would still put them at three games above .500 with the Cubs coming to town. Take two of three against the Cubs and the Reds would finish this 13 game stretch at 7-6, with a six game road trip at Washington and Kansas City. A 4-2 record or better on that trip is essential, IMO, if the Reds plan on contending.

TheNext44
05-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Another game of missed opportunities. The pitching was far from great - they allowed five runs in the first three innings - but they settled down and shutout the Brewers the rest of the way. Unfortunately, the offense failed to show up.

Missed opportunities:

2nd inning - bases loaded, one out = no runs scored.

3rd inning - first and second, one out = no runs scored

4th inning - runner on second, no outs = no runs

6th inning - first and third, one out = no runs

7th inning - runner on first, no outs = no runs

They didn't score a single run in those situations. One of the most puzzling moves (or lack there of) of the season came in the 6th inning. The Reds had runners on first and third with only one out and Chris Dickerson up. The Brewers had a tough lefty in who has held lefties to a sub .600 OPS. As we know, Dickerson struggles vs LHP, and Gomes was available, yet Dickerson was allowed to hit for himself. Gomes should have pinch hit, IMO.

Now the Reds have to go into St. Louis and win 3 of 4 just to salvage this road trip.

3-3 now.

Against good pitchers, the team needs to excel at manufacturing runs, if they want to win those games. Guys like Gallardo will not let you have a big inning very often, if at all. I'm not a huge fan of productive outs, but you need to face reality, Gallardo and others with his stuff, are going to get you out most of the time. You need to make the most of your outs if you are going to score off of them.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Tonight was one of the more frustrating losses of the season. The offense and defense really let the Reds down tonight.

Offense:

Only two runs against Brad Thompson. They had a 2-1 lead in the 4th inning and had the bases loaded with only one out and failed to score.

Defense:

Nix misplayed the ball off the wall on the Pujols double which allowed a run to score.

Ramon Hernandez' lack of range at 1B hurt the Reds in the 6th inning. With a runner of 1B and one out, Thurston hit what looked like a inning ending DP off the bat. Unfortunately, the ball made it through for a single. If Votto's playing, that a DP, IMO.

The biggest miscue was Willy Taveras midjudging a flyball that led to two runs scored.

Bronson Arroyo pitched much, much better than the boxscore indicates.

The Reds are now 4-4 during this stretch. A win tonight would have been huge, as it would have put the Reds in a great position to win three of four in St. Louis.

HeatherC1212
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Random comment of the night: I still think Brad Thompson looks like a woman. :eek:

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Random comment of the night: I still think Brad Thompson looks like a woman. :eek:

:D He does, I swear he does.

HeatherC1212
06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
:D He does, I swear he does.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees this and to be honest, it freaks me out a little bit, LOL :laugh:

VR
06-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees this and to be honest, it freaks me out a little bit, LOL :laugh:

It was funny, as I tuned in to watch the game I was thinking...'does he have a tiny head, mis-shaped face, or what?'....that was about 3 minutes before that post :)

Topcat
06-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Oh Man had to google image this and you sir are correct!:eek:

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Now 5-5 after our offense let us down again tonight. Aaron Harang threw a complete game allowing only three runs but the offense only managed to score one run on three hits. The Reds desperately need Joey Votto plus another bat. The Reds have got to win two of three against the Cubs to finish with a winning record during this streak.

I(heart)Freel
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Hated losing tonight... but one could argue the Reds are reasonably where you would expect them to be at this point in the NL Central stretch.

Swept Houston. Reasonable expectation at home was 2/3.

Got swept by Milwaukee. Reasonable expectation on the road was 1/3.

Split four in St. Lou. That's the reasonable expectation for any four game series.

If the club wins 2/3 at home versus Cubs, that's about what you'd reasonably expect for this divisional stretch.

Hold ground on the road trips. Make up ground on the homestands. Do that and I bet we have a meaningful September for the first time in ages.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Another day in June with the Reds over .500: tiny blessing. One day at a time, or whatever.

Edskin
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
It's rare in baseball to see a two-man show like the Cards have going right now. They LITERALLY have TWO players on that entire roster that I'd want on my team, but those two players win them a ton of games. I was born in 1977, and Pujols is entering the "best I've ever seen" conversation. Wow.

pahster
06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
It's rare in baseball to see a two-man show like the Cards have going right now. They LITERALLY have TWO players on that entire roster that I'd want on my team, but those two players win them a ton of games. I was born in 1977, and Pujols is entering the "best I've ever seen" conversation. Wow.

No love for Colby Rasmus?

Homer Bailey
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
No love for Colby Rasmus?

Was that Colby Rasmus batting 2nd for them? I coulda sworn that was Stan Musial.

PuffyPig
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

I really wouldn't put Carpenter in the same league as Pujols of "winning a ton of games for them". Carpenter has won 4 games for them in the last 2.3 years. Going forward, if healthy, sure. But he hasn't been doing it for long anymore.

Chip R
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
You can't be disappointed with a split in StL. The sweep in MIL was brutal, though.

fearofpopvol1
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
You can't be disappointed with a split in StL. The sweep in MIL was brutal, though.

So true...this is very understated. The Reds are extremely lucky to have split with the offense that was out there.

RedlegJake
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Now 5-5 after our offense let us down again tonight. Aaron Harang threw a complete game allowing only three runs but the offense only managed to score one run on three hits. The Reds desperately need Joey Votto plus another bat. The Reds have got to win two of three against the Cubs to finish with a winning record during this streak.

Yeah but sometimes you just have to hand props to your competition...the way Carpenter pitched I seriously doubt even Votto would have made much difference. I'm happy with a split, still disappointed to the extreme in the Milwaukee series. Take 2 of 3 from the Cubs and things look brighter.

westofyou
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Hasn't that been the Cards MO for the past few years? A bunch of guys who you think can't do it, yet all they do is play good baseball, year in and year out.

I'm through being surprised, I was surprised when the A's kept doing it with Mike Gallego and others and I see the same game being played in St. Louis year in and year out.

As for 1977, you missed a great year from George Foster that year.. and some awesome parties and a great Little Feat concert.

I(heart)Freel
06-05-2009, 05:19 PM

The sweep in the Land of Cheese stunk. No doubt. But really... did you pencil in more than one win there? And if so, aren't we talking about a one-game swing from expectation (per my earlier post)?

Chip R
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
The sweep in the Land of Cheese stunk. No doubt. But really... did you pencil in more than one win there? And if so, aren't we talking about a one-game swing from expectation (per my earlier post)?

I can't say this is an original saying of mine but the great teams find a way to win. A great team would have found a way to win 2 or 3 in MIL and maybe 3 of 4 in StL. Winning 1 in MIL would have been nice. 2 of 3 would have been outstanding. Now, I think we can all agree that the Reds aren't a great team. But it's disappointing that they didn't win 1 game up there.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
How awful is this offense? The Reds pitching has allowed five runs in the last two games ... and have lost both games. Wow. I hope Walt doesn't trade any of our prospects for a bat, because we need more than just one bat. We need Joey Votto plus two more bats. So frustrating. With the way this team is playing, they aren't going to be above .500 for much longer.

5-6 record now.

5th inning: first and third, one out = no runs

8th inning: tying run on third, one out = no runs.

reds44
06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
How awful is this offense? The Reds pitching has allowed five runs in the last two games ... and have lost both games. Wow. I hope Walt doesn't trade any of our prospects for a bat, because we need more than just one bat. We need Joey Votto plus two more bats. So frustrating. With the way this team is playing, they aren't going to be above .500 for much longer.
If the Reds acquire a legit LFer, and get Votto and Edwin back the offense would look a lot better.

Dickerson
Hairston
Votto
LFer
Phillips
Bruce
Encarnacion
Hernandez

is a vast improvement over

Hairston
Dickerson
Phillips
Nix
Hernandez
Bruce
Rosales
Gonzalez

Tom Servo
06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think another bat or even two is a dire need. We just need Votto back and for Bruce to hit over .220.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I don't think another bat or even two is a dire need. We just need Votto back and for Bruce to hit over .220.

I disagree. The Reds entered tonight 21st in OPS+ and that number will go down after tonight. Even with Votto healthy and Bruce hitting this offense is still pretty bad. CF, 3B, LF, and SS have been black holes. LF has been better since Nix took over but that still leaves us with CF, 3B, and SS.

I'm just so disappointed in Walt Jocketty. The Reds strong pitching through the first 54 games has gone to waste.

reds44
06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Not sure how you can blame Jocketty for 3rd base, it's not his fault Edwin died. I have no problem with CF if Dickerson is going to OBP .370 and play that kind of defense.

SS and LF are problems and we all knew they would be before the season started.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Not sure how you can blame Jocketty for 3rd base, it's not his fault Edwin died. I have no problem with CF if Dickerson is going to OBP .370 and play that kind of defense.

I don't think LF's a problem, honestly.

SS, no Votto, crummy Bruce have been killers.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, Dickerson isn't the starting CF. I wish he was, but Taveras (when healthy) is the starting CF.

Agreed. Everyone knew it, but the Reds failed to address the problem.

reds44
06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't think LF's a problem, honestly.

SS, no Votto, crummy Bruce have been killers.
The Reds won't make the playoffs with Laynce Nix in LF. It's not going to happen. Is he awful? Not at all, but he's a contender's starting LFer.

reds44
06-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately, Dickerson isn't the starting CF. I wish he was, but Taveras (when healthy) is the starting CF.

Agreed. Everyone knew it, but the Reds failed to address the problem.
To me, the most frusterating thing is everybody knew the problems were there too, especially the OF problem. If the Reds would have given Dickerson/Hairston platoon the CF job and signed/traded for a legit LFer nobody would have complained. Instead they decided to "solve" the OF problem by signing Taveras, and that's just bad.

Ron Madden
06-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Even if Votto, Bruce and Edwin were in the lineup everyday and producing up to expectations at years end this would be a poor offense with Taveras and Phillips garnering the most PAs in the leadoff and cleanup spots in the lineup.

Brandon has no business hitting fourth and Taveras should have never worn a Reds uniform.

I hope Votto comes back soon, he should put up some fine numbers.

I hope Jay Bruce keeps playing baseball like Jay Bruce, the experience and the numbers will come with time.

I'm one of Edwins biggest fans, I still have faith in him.

Brandon would be more valuable anywhere but the three or four spot in the order.

(for the always happy and optimistic crowd, This is just my humble/honest opinion. I'm a Reds Fan Too.)

11larkin11
06-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Brandon Phillips is OPSing close to .900 and has 41 RBIs. He has a pretty good .861 OPS with 6HRs and 33 of his RBIS VS RIGHT HANDERS. I don't see why there is still hate on Phillips in the 4 hole. He is a run producer and is finally showing it. And he's batting well vs. Righties. He has become a good cleanup hitter, and is doing well in the 3 hole with Votto out.

Ron Madden
06-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Brandon Phillips is OPSing close to .900 and has 41 RBIs. He has a pretty good .861 OPS with 6HRs and 33 of his RBIS VS RIGHT HANDERS. I don't see why there is still hate on Phillips in the 4 hole. He is a run producer and is finally showing it. And he's batting well vs. Righties. He has become a good cleanup hitter, and is doing well in the 3 hole with Votto out.

Right now Brandon is doing the job vs RHP let's hope he remains as successful as he's been for the past month.

I'm afraid Brandon has been a bit lucky here lately. (hope I'm wrong) Phillips has been swinging the bat so hard he's often been falling down.

It's very hard to hit when you're off balance. Watch out for the breaking ball low and away, Brandon can't hit it but he can't stop himself from swinging at it.

reds44
06-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Even if Votto, Bruce and Edwin were in the lineup everyday and producing up to expectations at years end this would be a poor offense with Taveras and Phillips garnering the most PAs in the leadoff and cleanup spots in the lineup.

Brandon has no business hitting fourth and Taveras should have never worn a Reds uniform.

I hope Votto comes back soon, he should put up some fine numbers.

I hope Jay Bruce keeps playing baseball like Jay Bruce, the experience and the numbers will come with time.

I'm one of Edwins biggest fans, I still have faith in him.

Brandon would be more valuable anywhere but the three or four spot in the order.

(for the always happy and optimistic crowd, This is just my humble/honest opinion. I'm a Reds Fan Too.)
Which is exactly why I said the Reds need to trade for an actual LFer and give Dickerson the majority of ABs in CF.

Ron Madden
06-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Which is exactly why I said the Reds need to trade for an actual LFer and give Dickerson the majority of ABs in CF.

:beerme:

GAC
06-06-2009, 06:14 AM

Bingo!

If you are an opposing pitcher right now - who do you see as a real threat in this lineup right now? In the last 7 days we have an OB% of .298, SLG% of .367, OPS of .665. All bottom tier.

We definitely miss Votto. But Bruce is really struggling. Yeah, some of that may be due to bad luck. I've watched him really hit a lot of solid balls, but right at people. But his numbers, so far, are pretty disappointing ....

.215 BA .298 OB% .467 SLG% .765 OPS

I have pretty much watched every game so far this year. I don't know where this stat can be found, or if it's even kept (sure it is); but this team is filled with a bunch of first pitch hackers. Very little patience at all.

mth123
06-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Most teams have the heavy lifting on offense accomplished by the corner players. On this team the two corner IF are on the DL and Jay Bruce just isn't hitting. The only corner position providing production of late is the one in LF which is being manned by scrubs. Keeping the CF types out of LF and going with more prototypical players has helped a bunch IMO. The Reds are actually pretty fortunate to be able to backfill Hernandez with Hanigan to fill 1B while still providing offense at Catcher and to have had a decent streak with some pop from Hairston at 3B or it would be a lot uglier right now. This team needs Bruce to hit, Votto to return and yes, EdE too. EdE pronounced himself healthy, not sure why the rehab hasn't started at this point. When these guys are all back, they may be able to squeak out an offense if they would just say no to Willy and go with Dickerson and Hairston in CF while leaving LF to the power guys.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 10:43 PM
6-6 after a 4-3 win tonight. Another very good pitching performance by the Reds tonight and yet another awful night by the offense. HUGE thanks to Cubs third baseman Mike Fontenot, who was responsible for all four of the Reds runs. Four unearned runs tonight.

BTW, can we please stop using David Weathers in the 8th inning? He's not an 8th inning guy. Masset is pitching lights out right now. Use him in the 8th inning.

It's a shame Matt Maloney didn't get a much deserved win.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
The Reds finished 6-7 during this stretch after their offense lost *yet* another game today. Brutal, just brutal.

And with that, for the first time ever, I'm taking a break from watching this team. I'll still check the scores via the game thread and MLB.com but I won't be watching anymore games for a while. It's less frustrating following via the game thread or MLB.com scoreboard. Our pitchers bust their butts night in and night out and the offense continues to waste it.

westofyou
06-07-2009, 06:36 PM
The Reds finished 6-7 during this stretch after their offense lost *yet* another game today. Brutal, just brutal.

And with that, for the first time ever, I'm taking a break from this team. I'll still check the scores via the game thread and MLB.com but I won't be watching anymore games for a while. I'm so tired of watching this boring offense. Our pitchers bust their butts night in and night out and the offense continues to waste it. I just need a break.

I'd hold off until they play Washington, facing a team with a 5.50 era can do wonders for a pitiful offense (as we have seen from Reds opponents throughout the past decade)

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Though I'm sure my break won't last past Wednesday. :)

This is just so frustrating. I would rather bring back the 2005 Reds. Heck, at least they made losing more exciting.

This team should be about 10 games above .500.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
From Lance's blog:

Brutal
Without question the single most frustrating and depressing loss of the season.
Could have gained on St Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago....and gone 7-6 in the stretch vs the Central

I agree with Lance. This is without a doubt the most frustrating loss of the season. If the Reds had won as they should have, they would've gained ground on the Brewers, Cardinals, and the Cubs. That's what makes this loss all the more frustrating. They could be just a half game behind the Cardinals for second place and just 2.5 games behind Milwaukee.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
One more thing - Is there anything more frustrating than seeing those ignorant Cubs fans celebrate after a Cubs victory at GABP? I hate losing to the Cubs.

HeatherC1212
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
One more thing - Is there anything more frustrating than seeing those ignorant Cubs fans celebrate after a Cubs victory at GABP? I hate losing to the Cubs.

Walking into the McDonald's near my church after taking our youth group to the nearby senior center for some volunteer work only to run into about twenty Cubs fans there on their way home from the game. :bang:

Lincoln: EPIC FAIL :thumbdown
Reds Offense: EPIC FAIL :thumbdown

Thank goodness the team is off tomorrow. Did you guys know the Reds are actually off every single Monday in June?!? That's one crazy schedule! :eek:

Eric_the_Red
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank goodness the team is off tomorrow. Did you guys know the Reds are actually off every single Monday in June?!? That's one crazy schedule! :eek:

I think somehow the club thought they were off every day in June.