PDA

View Full Version : Could it happen again?

PhillipsHead
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Now, I know nobody has brought it up, and it's early in his Reds career, but could we perhaps be watching history repeat itself? 2 years ago, we signed a Tampa Bay cast off who had good pop and who previously had a 25+ HR, 100+ RBI season, and then fell off the map and into our laps. His name was Jorge Cantu, and after playing fairly well for us, we cut him, and then he promptly goes to Florida, where he has blossomed right back into the power threat and formidable hitter he was in Tampa. Now, enter, Johnny Gomes. A Rays cast off who has excellent pop, but had fallen off and out of favor in Tampa. He has gotten off to a good start, but it is too early to tell if he is the answer. But let's say he is, and the same thing happens with him. Are we going to let him go if he plays well in a small sample size to make way for someone like Chris Dickerson, or has the team mentality changed thanks to Jocketty.

Just thought it was something interesting to ponder...

Captain Hook
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
It could happen again if Gomes has a good year.If he does then I'll be happy that the Reds got him cheep and didn't pay someone else to do the same thing for millions.

I'm very glad Gomes is on the team now but I'm not ready to start lobbing for the Reds to lock him up for a few years just yet.

Dude Rock
05-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I'd offer him 2 years $20 million. He's batting over .400. He's awesome. He's the saviour to our season.

We need some humor on this board.

bgwilly31
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I say gomes> Dickerson.

Hands down.

schmidty622
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Dickerson has been McDonaldesque so saying Gomes is better than him is not saying much.

That being said, a Nix/Gomes Platoon in left is just what the doctor ordered for that spot. And I think that from what I have heard out of both of those players is that they would embrace that sort of thing as long as it helps the team. Two real unselfish guys who seem to know their roles.

tbball10
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I like all 3 of our LF's right now. They all make positive contributions to the team. Gomes has power and can kill lefties which the other 2 can't. Nix has been a solid player on offense and defense, and gives you a great AB. Dickerson provides excellent defense, a great AB and a little pop. I think we are going to need all 3 of them if we are are going to remain in contention.

Red in Atl
05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Gomes/Nix platoon for the rest of the year, with Dickerson backing up all three spots. They should really give Taveras a day off a week or so. Seems like he's a streaky guy like a lot of our hitters, so play the hot guys till they go cold.

Overall it seems like it's a good mix of guys that all know or understand their rolls and are willing to play with the structure that is being laid. Until you have another Bruce for the outfield, this is the best we can do.

NeilHamburger
05-26-2009, 06:50 PM
If you look at Gomes' stats when he really played, those were the years: 05-07 then I don't think this line is out of the question:

aver. .260, 20 HR's, .335 OBP.

Now, the HR's would need to be adjusted for missing a 4th of the season. But, he is a definite solid bat against lefties at the least.

Another fun fact, Gomes suffered a serious heart attack at the age of 22 in 2002. Doctors said if he waited one more day to go the ER he wouldn't be alive right now.