PDA

View Full Version : Votto back in lineup, Taveras gets day off

fisch11
05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
According to John Fay of the Enquirer:

Nick Masset was activated from the DL. Wilkin Castillo was optioned to Triple-A Louisville. Darnell McDonald accepted his assignment to Louisville.

Lineups:

Houston
Michael Bourn 8
Miguel Tejada 6
Lance Berkman 3
Carlos Lee 7
Hunter Pence 9
Ivan Rodriguez 2
Jeff Keppinger 5
Edwin Maysonet 4
RH Roy Oswalt 1

Reds
Chris Dickerson 8
Jerry Hairston 4
Joey Votto 3
Ramon Hernandez 2
Jay Bruce 9
Laynce Nix 7
Alex Gonzalez 6
Adam Rosales 5
RH Micah Owings 1

I assume it's an off day Taveras. He's hitting .231 over his last six games. Dickerson has a .375 on-base against right-handers. Dickerson is 2-for-7 with a walk against Oswalt. Taveras is 4-for-15.

The guy the Reds will really miss tonight is Phillips. He's 9-for-29 with five doubles off Roy O.

Oswalt is 1-2 with a 4.47 ERA. He's given up 61 hits, including 10 homers, in 56 1/3 innings.

LvJ
05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm glad Dickerson and his .374 OBP overall is not getting ignored.

He never gives you a poor AB.

wheels
05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm glad Dickerson and his .374 OBP overall is not getting ignored.

He never gives you a poor AB.

Amen to that, Daddy.

I'm actually really happy with what I've seen from him so far. His plate discipline has been terrific. It's just that no hits have been falling in, and that's what The Powers That Be are looking at. Dusty loves him some batting average.

I would love to see him start hitting for more power, though. Of course, he'd need some actual playing time for that.

I'm telling ya....He's a lefty Mike Cameron. It's almost eerie to me.

edabbs44
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM

You think he has been Cameron-like with the glove this season?

smith288
05-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Amen to that, Daddy.

I'm actually really happy with what I've seen from him so far. His plate discipline has been terrific. It's just that no hits have been falling in, and that's what The Powers That Be are looking at. Dusty loves him some batting average.

I would love to see him start hitting for more power, though. Of course, he'd need some actual playing time for that.

I guess I have watched a different Dickerson. He mostly looks like he's guessing up there to me.

wheels
05-26-2009, 04:29 PM

I think we haven't seen enough of that to know just yet.

The physical ability is definitely there. One or two bad days in the field, and that's what the mudgies remember when a guy doesn't have enough time to erase the memories.

Of course, I'm wasting my ones and zeros trying to explain that to you.

HeatherC1212
05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Ramon's been hitting pretty well lately so I like him in the fourth spot but I REALLY like that Joey is back in the lineup tonight. He must be feeling better. That's not a bad lineup against the Reds killer tonight. Hopefully the guys can get a win. :)

wheels
05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=smith288;1877141]I guess I have watched a different Dickerson. He mostly looks like he's guessing up there to me.[/QUOTE\]

How's that?

He's got 18 walks in 79 AB's. Looks like someone that's got an idea up there to me.

Oh, I forgot. He's hitting .220, so he must be "lost" or "guessing".

He needs to hit the ball harder, but I'd hardly classify that as guessing. He's got the strike zone figured out, that's for sure.

edabbs44
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I think we haven't seen enough of that to know just yet.

The physical ability is definitely there. One or two bad days in the field, and that's what the mudgies remember when a guy doesn't have enough time to erase the memories.

Of course, I'm wasting my ones and zeros trying to explain that to you.

Thanks for the kind words. And it hasn't really been "one or two bad days". It is up to and including his misplay of Lee's triple yesterday. He has had a rough two months.

If you are a stud fielder (like Cameron), your mitt won't slump for a long period of time.

indy_dave00
05-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Chris Dickerson is also striking out at a .328 average 26 strike outs in 79 official at bats.

wheels
05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words. And it hasn't really been "one or two bad days". It is up to and including his misplay of Lee's triple yesterday. He has had a rough two months.

If you are a stud fielder (like Cameron), your mitt won't slump for a long period of time.

A rough two months?

He has barely played in those two months.

Oh, and how exactly does a guy "misplay" a triple that hit just below the yellow line in left center? He went after it, and Taveras backed him up. That's usually how it works.

edabbs44
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
A rough two months?

He has barely played in those two months.

Oh, and how exactly does a guy "misplay" a triple that hit just below the yellow line in left center? He went after it, and Taveras backed him up. That's usually how it works.

He hasn't played everyday but he has played in the field in 29 of 44 games.

And regarding yesterday, he had no shot at that ball and needed to play it off the wall. He was nowhere near the wall and still went for it.

wheels
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

And regarding yesterday, he had no shot at that ball and needed to play it off the wall. He was nowhere near the wall and still went for it.

I give up.

BRM
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM

He's played the entire game 6 times in the entire month of May. He's entered games in the late innings several times but he's only started and finished 6 games this month. He simply hasn't logged much time.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Chris Dickerson is a center fielder. Some guys just have trouble shifting to a corner outfield position. All throughout the minors Dickerson was touted as a great defensive center fielder. I wouldn't judge him on what he's done in left field.

BTW, in a very small sample size, Dickerson has a +1.4 UZR in 403 major league innings.

M2
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM
mudgies

I'm giving you imaginary rep for that.

Sea Ray
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Is it just me or is Owings getting paired up with a lot of #1s?

He hasn't been great but it's got to be tough as a 5th starter always going against an ace

Tom Servo
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Catcher hitting cleanup? Narron is spinning in his non-existant grave.

wheels
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm giving you imaginary rep for that.

Yeah...I don't know where that one came from.

VR
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
The one thing apparent to me with this lineup.....this is the night that the Reds LIGHT UP Roy Oswalt.

Will M
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I like Dickerson in CF today vs a RHP. Taveras was uber hot and now has cooled off. stack the LH bats vs Oswalt.

Good move by Dusty to give Bruce a day off vs Rodriguez last night. He needed it. Now he can come back vs a righty.

My only beef with recent lineups has been that I would like to see more Janish at SS.

One more thing: i do recall Owings going against teams #1s a lot this year.

fisch11
05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Is it just me or is Owings getting paired up with a lot of #1s?

He hasn't been great but it's got to be tough as a 5th starter always going against an ace

He went up against Haren and got the W.

Chip R
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Remember, gang, no lineup threads.