PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lincoln needs sent down or let go!!

WVPacman
05-27-2009, 01:08 AM
How many more chances does this guy get seriously? The guy has done nothing but hurt our team.Everytime he comes into a game I just wait for something bad to happen and it always does.Jeff and Tom talked alot tonight about this is now a different team and they want to win now.They also said that if a pitcher or batter goes out there and plays bad every game then they need sent down.

Well I think that time has come for Lincoln b/c he isn't going to get any better imo.He got his chance to make a name for himself in the reds bullpen and he blew it.Its now time to send him down to Louisville or just get rid of him all together and let somebody else have his spot and give them a chance.

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Lincoln so far:

16 IP, 23 H, 17 R, 5 HR, 12 BB/6 K, 2.19 WHIP, 9.56 ERA

He needs to be released. I still can't believe they gave him a two year deal when there were better options available. There are plenty of Mike Lincolns out there, so why give him two years?

I'd also send Burton to Triple-A and let him try figure things out.

WVPacman
05-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Lincoln so far:

16 IP, 23 H, 17 R, 5 HR, 12 BB/6 K, 2.19 WHIP, 9.56 ERA

He needs to be released. I still can't believe they gave him a two year deal when there were better options available. There are plenty of Mike Lincolns out there, so why give him two years?

I'd also send Burton to Triple-A and let him try figure things out.

I completly agree with you I can't believe they gave this guy a two year contract when he had'nt pitched in two years or so.Signing players like Lincoln is doing nothing but holding this team back from being a even better club.Keeping Lincoln up here also hurts players like Fisher from making a name for himself in the big leagues.Fisher has'nt pitched three games and he already has thrown better than Lincoln and Burton.Release Lincoln and send Burton down!!:thumbup:

tripleaaaron
05-27-2009, 02:27 AM
I agree. Lincoln brings nothing to the table and is merely a liability. Its time to give Manual or Roenicke a shot.

RED VAN HOT
05-27-2009, 02:34 AM
It is my understanding that Lincoln must give his consent to a minor league assignment even if he clears waivers. I suspect that he would consent because the Reds have treated him fairly and given him every opportunity to work through his problems this year.

IMO the best course of action would be as follows:

DFA and see if there is any trade interest.
If not, place on waivers. If someone claims him, they pick up the contract.
In the more likely event that he is not claimed, send him to Louisville and hope that he can work it out.
If he did not consent to a minor league assignment, the Reds could either keep on the ML roster or release him.

In any event it makes no sense to keep him on the ML roster and send Fisher to AAA.

It also seems to me that there must be something physically wrong. It is hard to believe that his performance could have declined so precipitously.

TheNext44
05-27-2009, 02:54 AM
I can almost guarantee that he will be disabled or sent down when Volquez comes back. It was all over Dusty's face when he took Lincoln out tonight after he gave up the homerun. Lincoln seemed to know it too when he walked off the mound.
I have a feeling something is wrong with him physically. He seems to have lost the ability to locate his pitches, which usually is a sign that he is changing his delivery, which is usually a sign that he is hurt.

Something needs to be done with Burton too. He has allowed 6 of 9 inherited runners to score this year, and 9 of 12 since his injury last year. That's just awful.

mth123
05-27-2009, 03:42 AM
I like the idea of opening a spot for the young guys at AAA. If Fisher falters, Roenicke, Viola and Manuel all could get a shot. Ramirez, maybe Maloney and Thompson if he's healthy could also be possibilities. If Zach Stewart moves back to the pen, he may force his way in after the all star break.

All that said, I think the Reds will need some help in the second half. Rhodes is pitching well and is due for a bad stretch. He's working on a pace for a lot more innings than he's thrown in a while. He'll probably hit a wall at some point. The league may catch on to Herrera but he's ok for now. Weathers is ok and probably will be useful all year, but he can't pitch every day. Masset seems to be asserting himself and that is a good sign.

But, I think this team is going to need last year's version of Burton to make an appearance at some point. His early struggles could be a blessing in disguise. If he can get himself right, his relative lack of work should make him strong and capable in the dog days when the others are tiring. The team really needs to get him right. I'd keep Lincoln around to mop up for now and send Burton to AAA to get him straightened out. If the team can get Burton back on track, the pen has enough bodies to carry through all year even if some of the guys performing well now like Rhodes and Herrera falter down the road as innings and exposure catch up with them. No way I send Fisher down at this point when Burton needs it more. I'd make getting him straightened out a priority. I'd send him down but not to rid the team of him, but because he's so important to the 2nd half. In the meantime, Lincoln can serve a purpose as a mop up guy while the kids keep improving and we see if Lincoln can get it together. A DL stint followed by a long rehab may be in his future if somebody forces their way in.

Ron Madden
05-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Such is the life of Middle Relief Pitchers.

If there is one thing I've learned since becoming a member of RedsZone it's that no one position or role is more volatile or as often overrated than that of a Middle Relief Pitcher.

Boss-Hog
05-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Closed per WVPacman's request.