PDA

View Full Version : Cordero's Save Streak

texasdave
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Francisco Cordero has now successfully converted his last 27 save opportunities. He has not blown a save since July 21st of '08. This seemed like a pretty impressive streak to me so I went out snooping on the web to find out if he was close at all to the Major League record. In a word - no. Let me put it this way, if Cordero converts his next save chance he will be exactly 1/3 of the way to the record. No typo there. That would be number 28 in a row for Coco and that would place him 1/3 of the way to the record of 84 held by Eric Gagne. Gagne saved 84 consecutive games!! For almost two full seasons (8/28/02 until 7/03/04) Gagne was automatic, perfect and money in the bank. Tied for second on the consecutive saves list are Tom Gordon and Brad Lidge with 54. Lidge and Gordon are the only two relievers to make it to at least halfway to Gagne's record!

So is the 84 consecutive saves by Eric Gagne more impressive than the 56 game hitting streak by Joe DiMaggio? Is it a more unbreakable record? Or is this a case of comparing apples to oranges? Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

xavr1
05-27-2009, 08:59 AM
84 consecutive saves is unreal but I dont think it approaches DiMaggio's streak.

Man I remember when Gagne was in the middle of that. He was on my fantasy team. Talk about a machine. Then he just fell flat totally in the following years.

fielder's choice
05-27-2009, 09:14 AM
gagne was on all kinds of roids too.

BigJohn
05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
You think Toothpick will quit putting him in the game unless it is a save opportunity, NOW?

HalMorrisRules
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
You think Toothpick will quit putting him in the game unless it is a save opportunity, NOW?

I dont really feel that this is a big problem.

EddieMilner
05-27-2009, 10:29 AM
84 consecutive saves is unreal but I dont think it approaches DiMaggio's streak.

Man I remember when Gagne was in the middle of that. He was on my fantasy team. Talk about a machine. Then he just fell flat totally in the following years.

I was going to start a thread about the most impressive consecutive accomplishments (ie - consecutive games with hits, etc) a week or two ago. I didn't consider Gagne's consecutive save streak. However, a streak that still blows my mind is is Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive scoreless innings in 1988.

Does that approach DiMaggio's Hit Streak?

texasdave
05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
All streaks bring a little different dimension to them. But a streak that is going to take the better part of two seasons (or maybe parts of three seasons) to accomplish is more impressive than being in a zone for a couple of months. This isn't to denigrate any of them but I would pick the 84-game streak for that very reason.

BSUFB
05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
The hit streak is much more impressive. Imagine how hard it would be today to do that. If you even got close a pitcher would not pitch to you.

texasdave
05-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The hit streak is much more impressive. Imagine how hard it would be today to do that. If you even got close a pitcher would not pitch to you.

All three of the above-mentioned streaks will be hard to break. But you do have a point in that if a pitcher/team decides to pitch around a batter there is little he could do about it.

EddieMilner
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM

All three of the above-mentioned streaks will be hard to break. But you do have a point in that if a pitcher/team decides to pitch around a batter there is little he could do about it.

I wonder what is the streak for consecutive games for reaching base safely...
84 games by Ted Williams in 1949 (found it here (http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=256)). That's pretty impressive as well.

ian_madden
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I dont really feel that this is a big problem.

although I agree that Hal Morris does rule!!!!!!!!!!!

I do see a problem with this. What is his era in save situations? What is his era in non save situations? Unless he has not pitched in several days, which I don't see happening since we are not going to win many games in the blow out fashion, I for 1 do not want him in there if it's not a save situation. It is a different feel to the game. He does not have the same urgency. His adrenaline is not as high. And I could be suffering from the confirmation believe but I'm convinced that all of his runs were given up in non save situations.

If he continues to give up runs in non save situations, he could lose confidence.
Confidence is a huge part of this game.

Ghosts of 1990
05-29-2009, 02:14 AM
I have been at the ballpark for Cordero's pitching lately around home plate. He's throwing some serious cheese. Talking like 96 MPH on the knees ched. Sick. He's earning that money.

Brian
05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
It is weird/frustrating that he can save games but not keep a tie alive...sigh.

Chris Sabowned
05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Unless steroids become legal, no one will touch Gagne's record.