PDA

View Full Version : Current Standings

dunner13
05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
So I checked out the current Central standings and came away very encouraged. I had been thinking we are probably a wild card team at best with no real shot at winning the division. But currently

The Astros and Pirates are out of it. Astros will probably start selling off players here in the next few weeks further eliminating them from the race.

The Cubs are a mess right now and unless they get everything straightened out pretty quickly they to are going to be out of it.

That leaves the brewers and cardinals who are a game and a half ahead of the reds. Brewers do not have the pitching to win the division. If they get peavy that would obviously change things but as of right now I think you will start to see them fade to the .500 team they are.
The cards are alittle more scary. Although teams are starting to figure out that they really do not have much offense in that lineup besides pujols.

I think the division is between the cards and the reds at the moment and the cards have a few injury prone players namely carpenter. So for the first time this year I think we do actually have a good shot at winning this division.

xavr1
05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm not even close to counting out the Cubs at this point.

GOYA
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
It is MAY.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
The Reds had one 4 game losing streak. Their only streak that went beyond 2 losses in a row. How would you like to be Toronto, who had a very nice lead and has currently lost 8 games.........Florida and Seattle started the season hot and in first place for awhile and went in the tank basically.

What I see with the Reds is a team that doesn't get too high or too low, and that has the pitching to stop losing skids, unlike many other teams.

I'm not counting out the Cubs, but they do have alot of problems.

Brewcrew has lost 5 of their last 7. Are they stumbling?........while the Cards have won 6 of 8.

Gizmo
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Call me when we're 1 1/2 games behind in August. I like where we're at, but it's still early. Wasn't too long ago that we were buyers at the All-Star break only to tank. It's a long season.

BSUFB
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I am very excited about were the Reds are currently. However I am like many others on the board, it is still early. We have seen this happen many times. If they can get through this strech of NL Central opponets with a winning record I will be very happy.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I think their best is still ahead. Some are still finding themselves on this team, and management is still tinkering with the roster. And others are or have been injured and are finding their way back. IF everyone gets healthy, watch out.

bgwilly31
05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Its too early to really think about it.

We just need to keep playing the kids that Play HARD. And keep winning.

defender
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Houston looked worse than the Reds by last years all star break, and still won 86 games. A Cubs collapse into disarray is possible, but I am not counting on it.

Brutus
05-27-2009, 01:17 PM
It is MAY.

It's almost June. Usually, not always but usually, where teams are at the start of June is the start of sorting out the pretenders from the contenders. Pythagorean says the Reds are an above-500 team. If they get fully healthy, one wonders if they can go from 81-85 wins to 90-95.

It's still early, but it's not that early. This is the time where things usually start to shake out.

TheBigLebowski
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
This team is a contender. I'm not calling the division or anything but we're legit.

And no, the Cubs are FAR from out of it.

RedLakerFan24
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
We are going to stay clse, than at the trade deadline Walt is going to get a big player for us to get us over the top

Brutus
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
This team is a contender. I'm not calling the division or anything but we're legit.

And no, the Cubs are FAR from out of it.

I'm not ready to write them off, as they do have (at least on paper) a better pitching staff than is showing. And you never know if they won't go out and acquire Jake Peavy.

I will say this though: the thought that the Cubs will turn it on centers around the notion that Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee are the players they were five years ago. I'm not sure that's the case any longer. Ramirez is still a real good hitter, but he does not have as much of the pop he had. Lee, I think, is just simply losing his bat speed.

Combine this with Soto's struggles, the non-production at second base and Milton Bradley's adventures and admittedly the Cubs do not look as formidable as they did before the year.

I won't write them out of the equation, but they're probably on thin ice.