PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Zambrano going crazy...turn it on WGN...

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Zambrano just bumped the home plate umpire while arguing a call and then motioned like he was throwing the umpire out of the game. He then picked up the baseball up and launched it into the stands. Hilarious. That should result in a suspension.

That wasn't enough. After he entered the dugout he picked up a bat and destroyed the gatorade machine.

traderumor
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Hee hee, was talking about this in the Jake Fox thread. I had just turned it over on Gameday Audio after listening to Cards/Brewers.

RichRed
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I love a good Big Z meltdown, though I hear that Gatorade machine had it coming.

Reds Fanatic
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I didn't get to see it but bumping an umpire and throwing a ball in the stands should be a nice long suspension for Zambrano. What set him off this time?

WMR
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Watching Zambrano melt down is one of the more fantastic times to be a Scrub hater. :D :D :D

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I didn't get to see it but bumping an umpire and throwing a ball in the stands should be a nice long suspension for Zambrano. What set him off this time?

A close play at home plate on a wild pitch. Nyjer Morgan was called safe which tied the game at 2-2. It was a very close play but the replays showed that Morgan snuck his hand in just in time.

TRF
05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
bumping an ump and risking the life of fans? minimum 10 days, 20 starts. He'll appeal of course, but on what basis I have no idea.

VR
05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I knew a guy that got 30 days for an incident that was much less severe.

George Anderson
05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I knew a guy that got 30 days for an incident that was much less severe.

Yea but Pete had an investigation going on at the time that this instance gave MLB the opportunity to make him look bad.

Also the players union wasn't gonna go to bat for Pete like they will Zambrano.

PuffyPig
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Zambrano just bumped the home plate umpire while arguing a call and then motioned like he was throwing the umpire out of the game. He then picked up the baseball up and launched it into the stands. Hilarious. That should result in a suspension.

That wasn't enough. After he entered the dugout he picked up a bat and destroyed the gatorade machine.

Bumping an umpire....5 games
Throwing baseball into the stands.....10 games
Destroying the gatorade machine...... 60 games

George Anderson
05-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Bumping an umpire....5 games
Throwing baseball into the stands.....10 games
Destroying the gatorade machine...... 60 games

Seeing the Cubs lose....Priceless

WMR
05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Carlos Zambrano's MORTAL ENEMY: http://jrockvending.com/drinkmachine.jpg

PuffyPig
05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
bumping an ump and risking the life of fans? minimum 10 days, 20 starts. He'll appeal of course, but on what basis I have no idea.

10 days, 20 starts?

Do you expect Zambrano to pitch 10 doubleheaders in a row?

TRF
05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I meant 2 starts.

though, 20 would be nice.

CTA513
05-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I missed it so I hope they put it up on MLB.com later today.

PuffyPig
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I meant 2 starts.

though, 20 would be nice.

I didn't see it, but if was a "real" bump of the umpire, and he threw a ball hard right into the fan area from a short distance, he'll be gone more than 2 starts. If he hit a fan with the baseball , that will be one great lawsuit.

HeatherC1212
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
OMG, that sounds totally hilarious although I feel bad for the poor Gatorade machine. What did it do to Zambrano?! ;) I can't wait to watch the news tonight. Ken Broo will have a field day with this one, LOL :laugh: :lol: :D

Chip R
05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm sure the idiots at Wrigley were cheering him when all this happened.

He'll probably be serving his suspension during the series with the Reds but he hasn't been that great against them this year. Definitely won't miss his bat. I think he's better than Micah.

WMR
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Throwing a baseball into the stands is possibly the dumbest move an athlete can pull in all of sports.

westofyou
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Also the players union wasn't gonna go to bat for Pete like they will Zambrano.
If Pete was an active player that year they might have, but at the time he was retired and just a manager and thus out of the unions reach at the time.

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Carlos Zambrano was ejected from Wednesday's game against the Pirates in the seventh inning after bumping into umpire Mark Carlson.

Zambrano was upset about a play at the plate, and after being tossed, he made a big scene, indicating that he had ejected Carlson from the game, throwing a ball into left field, throwing his glove against the dugout screen and clubbing the dugout's Gatorade fountain with a bat. The Arlington Daily Herald anticipates that he'll be suspended for at least one start. He gave up two runs -- one earned -- in 6 1/3 innings before departing.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=CHC

_Sir_Charles_
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't see it, but if was a "real" bump of the umpire, and he threw a ball hard right into the fan area from a short distance, he'll be gone more than 2 starts. If he hit a fan with the baseball , that will be one great lawsuit.

No, it looked like he threw the ball, but he was motioning that the ump should be tossed. He didn't throw the ball until he was starting to walk off the field...threw it towards the bleachers in left field. The announcers said it didn't make it to the bleachers. But it'll be a suspension regardless.

nate
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I can't wait for this to hit YouTube.

_Sir_Charles_
05-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I can't wait for this to hit YouTube.

You can see it all in the Gameday video highlights and also on the ESPN highlights.

nate
05-27-2009, 07:22 PM
You can see it all in the Gameday video highlights and also on the ESPN highlights.

I was just briefly scanning it at MLB.com and it looked like Ryan Freel had a couple of nice defensive plays, a single and then might've hurt himself.

durl
05-27-2009, 07:26 PM
The family of the Gatorade machine has hired a lawyer. I expect Zambrano to plead the insanity defense.

WMR
05-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Just saw it on SC. Phillips said and I have to agree that the ump initiated the bump between the two men.

The visual of him throwing out the umpire and then bashing the gatorade machine is pure hilarity.

Red in Chicago
05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Lou got a kick out of it

Big Klu
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
The funny thing is that on Monday night, Ryan Dempster wrecked the Gatorade machine, and Zambrano helped one of the clubhouse attendants put it back together.

Matt700wlw
05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Carlos Zambrano's MORTAL ENEMY: http://jrockvending.com/drinkmachine.jpg

The Propel fitness water had NOTHING to do with this!

traderumor
05-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Just saw the video. The best part was Lou obviously remembering his basethrowing incidents and other fits and realizing that he hasn't trained Zambrano nearly well enough.

The umpire contact was weak, btw. Barely noticeable.

Eric_the_Red
05-28-2009, 05:52 AM
http://images.smarter.com/blogs/waterboy.jpg

"Mama say Gatorade is de devil!"

Razor Shines
05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I was just briefly scanning it at MLB.com and it looked like Ryan Freel had a couple of nice defensive plays, a single and then might've hurt himself.

You could have shortened all that by saying "Ryan Freel played."

bucksfan2
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
While Z did deserve to get ejected and was quite comical, the ump needs to be suspended as well. He initiated the contact by moving towards Z. For the life of me I just can't understand why an ump just can't stand his ground and turn his head the other way. If a player continues to walk around to get in his face then the ump should walk away.

Chip R
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
While Z did deserve to get ejected and was quite comical, the ump needs to be suspended as well. He initiated the contact by moving towards Z. For the life of me I just can't understand why an ump just can't stand his ground and turn his head the other way. If a player continues to walk around to get in his face then the ump should walk away.

I don't think the ump needs to be suspended. It's not like he took a running start and launched himself into Zambrano. He turned he shoulders and made contact with Zambrano. Hardly an aggressive maneuver. If you're going to suspend umpires, there are far more obvious things to suspend them for than that.

Zambrano needs to be taught a lesson. His behavior should not be tolerated.

Caseyfan21
05-28-2009, 10:46 AM

I agree the ump initiated contact.

I love how you can read Z's lips when he is tossed..."NO, you bumped me, you're outta here!!!" :laugh:

RichRed
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Larry Rothchild almost caught a bat in the teeth as he was trying to stop Z from attacking the evil Gatorade machine.

Zambrano's about to turn 28 years old. Maybe it's time to start acting like it before he accidentally knocks out one of his coaches.

BCubb2003
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I think I'm going to invent a break-away Gatorade machine, like the break-away rims in basketball. You'll get the full effect of parts flying everywhere, and still get your drinks.

dfs
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
In case anybody besides me has not seen a video, Z throws the ball from around home plate out into the bleachers. It's bad, but nowhere near as bad as what happened in Dayton last year where the ball was essentially pitched from first base directly into the stands right behind the dugout.

klw
05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-28-cubs-piratesmay28,0,5945706.story

A few great lines in the story.

Carlos Zambrano received the official Milton Bradley seal of approval after being ejected on Wednesday and throwing a temper tantrum for the ages in the Cubs' 5-2 victory over Pittsburgh.

"That was pretty impressive," Bradley said. "It was on a Bradley level."

"I'm the only calm, cool collected one around here," Piniella said, kiddingly.

In his piece d' resistance, Zambrano took a bat and beat on the Gatorade dispenser that had been repaired less than 24 hours earlier after Ryan Dempster punched it.

"They should be paying us for all the publicity we've given them," Dempster said. "Everyone will want one now."

Hoosier Red
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
In case anybody besides me has not seen a video, Z throws the ball from around home plate out into the bleachers. It's bad, but nowhere near as bad as what happened in Dayton last year where the ball was essentially pitched from first base directly into the stands right behind the dugout.

Yeah I have to say I was disappointed in the effort. I thought he threw it with some actual malice.

By the way, that gatorade machine is nice, they have every flavor there? Does every dugout have one of those?

UKFlounder
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
That's much easier said than done. If a player "hooks" you with certain comments and "pushes your button" (sorry for the cliches) the natural instinct is often to fight back and defend yourself. I know here at work, occasionally someone will start yelling at me on the phone and I will lose my cool. After I hange up the phone, I wonder why I allowed that to happen, but it is just very difficult to be that disciplined at all times, especially when someone is questioning your ability and you think they're wrong.

Ideally, yeah, every umpire would just walk away from heated confrontations, but that's not a part of human nature. If anyone is disciplined enough to do so every time, that's quite impressive.

George Anderson
05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Ideally, yeah, every umpire would just walk away from heated confrontations, but that's not a part of human nature. If anyone is disciplined enough to do so every time, that's quite impressive.

The umpires partners usually get in and seperate an irate player from an umpire. I'm guessing his partners couldn't get there fast enough.

Chip R
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
The umpires partners usually get in and seperate an irate player from an umpire. I'm guessing his partners couldn't get there fast enough.

I'm surprised Lou didn't get out there sooner to keep Zambrano from being ejected.

bucksfan2
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
That's much easier said than done. If a player "hooks" you with certain comments and "pushes your button" (sorry for the cliches) the natural instinct is often to fight back and defend yourself. I know here at work, occasionally someone will start yelling at me on the phone and I will lose my cool. After I hange up the phone, I wonder why I allowed that to happen, but it is just very difficult to be that disciplined at all times, especially when someone is questioning your ability and you think they're wrong.

Its their job. They are paid, rather well, to umpire the game. They aren't paid to get into a heated discussion with a player or manager. In the Zambrano play the umpire called the runner safe. That was the only answer he should have/could have given to Z. Once he says the runner was safe he needs to walk away.

BCubb2003
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Its their job. They are paid, rather well, to umpire the game. They aren't paid to get into a heated discussion with a player or manager. In the Zambrano play the umpire called the runner safe. That was the only answer he should have/could have given to Z. Once he says the runner was safe he needs to walk away.

Yes, it's like Patrick Swayze in the movie "Roadhouse."

"It's two nouns combined to elicit a prescribed response."

Chip R
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, it's like Patrick Swayze in the movie "Roadhouse."

"It's two nouns combined to elicit a prescribed response."

So they should be called coolers instead of umpires?

CarolinaRedleg
05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I felt the need to go Photoshop on this one...enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/tplester/scrubs.jpg

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cWiHdARaE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2E1530homer%2Ecom%2Fpages%2F lancesBlog%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

Reds Fanatic
05-28-2009, 05:09 PM
There is a good article on the Cubs on ESPN.com today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4212494

Scuffling Cubs remain a mystery By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com

I don't know who's more clueless: Carlos Zambrano or the genius who put a Gatorade dispenser in the middle of the cramped concrete dungeon that is the Chicago Cubs' dugout.

In the past few days, the poor machine has gotten Pacquiao'd by Cubs starter Ryan Dempster and then beaten into a plastic-y pulp by the working end of Zambrano's maple bat. Any more Cubs drama, and the dispenser is going to need police protection.

Carlos Zambrano's meltdown Wednesday earned him an ejection from umpire Mark Carlson.
"Oh, merry May," said manager Lou Piniella, who has to be counting the minutes until June arrives.

Somehow, the Cubs have become baseball's version of Hells Angels, Bill Laimbeer and Dalton in "Road House." They're jumping dugout fences and confronting umpires (the usually mild-mannered pitcher Ted Lilly). They're suggesting umps have personal vendettas (outfielder Milton Bradley). They're melting down in spectacularly stupid and selfish but entertaining ways (Zambrano ... again).

And yet, as the National League's preseason favorite Cubs sit in fourth place in the NL Central, Piniella calmly and casually predicted that his team "should be in a nice pennant race sometime in the middle of the summer and make it very interesting the whole year."

And he's right, although the Cubs can't be any more interesting than they've been during the first 45 games of the season. They're Jon and Kate of the big leagues -- compellingly dysfunctional, a train wreck of roster turnover, injuries, hitting slumps, bullpen malfunctions, conspiracy theories, suspensions and mediocrity.

"If you've got to write an article right now, you could say that we've underachieved, been a disappointment," Bradley said. "But I don't think that would be fair because we've had injuries to the front line of the pitching staff, as well as the offensive side of the ball. To stay afloat like we have been … we've been holding our own and doing all right."

That's one way of looking at it. Actually, that's the most accurate way of looking at it.

Look (I'm channeling Piniella's favorite word here), there's a difference between excuses and reality. In the Cubs' case, you can't simply dismiss the cause and effect of third baseman Aramis Ramirez's shoulder injury (Piniella said he's out until at least the first week of July), pitcher Rich Harden's back injury (no exact timetable for the return of the Human Disabled List), first baseman Derrek Lee's neck injury and flu bouts, Bradley's early season knee problems, utility men Aaron Miles' bum shoulder and Ryan Freel's hamstring (scratched from the lineup on his first day as a Cub), and pitcher Zambrano's brain cramps. And partly because of those injuries, the Cubsmobile is leaving oil puddles all over the place.

Ramirez is the Cubs' best RBI man. Harden can be overpowering. Lee has scuffled, but I'd still want him in my lineup. Miles and Freel give Piniella lineup options and depth. Zambrano gives you wins and cluster migraines.

Then there's the other half of the Cubs' equation. They've stunk it up.

You don't lose eight consecutive games, as the Cubs did from May 17 to 25 to the likes of Houston, St. Louis, San Diego and Pittsburgh, by accident. There's an odor factor involved. When they hit, the pitching didn't hold up. When they pitched, the hitting evaporated.

Even when they win, they lose. They beat the Pirates at Wrigley Field on Wednesday, but only after Zambrano detonated like C-4 after a bang-bang play at home plate went against the Cubs. His tantrum was classic Z -- useless, ridiculous and costly. His contact with plate umpire Mark Carlson likely will result in a suspension.

"A lot of things are happening that shouldn't be happening," Cubs radio announcer Ron Santo muttered on the air not long after Zambrano's ejection.

Zambrano is a three-act baseball play, but I trust him as far as I can throw him. Nothing ever changes with him. Meltdown … apology. Meltdown … apology. Meanwhile, he keeps knee-capping his team with his antics.

Piniella said he'll talk to Zambrano. The question is, will Zambrano listen? Doubtful.

The Cubs have crossed the quarter-mark of the regular season, and we still don't know what they are. Ask general manager Jim Hendry whether he has a feel for his team, and he says, "I have a feeling we better get better."

Hendry laughed when he said it, but he knows the Cubs are a bit of a mess. Ten days ago, he was sitting with assistant general manager Randy Bush at lunch, telling him, "Gee, we're seven over [.500] and we haven't played real well yet." Then they lost eight in a row.

"I don't think we've scratched the surface on how we can play yet," Hendry said.

They had better start scratching soon. The St. Louis Cardinals don't seem like they're going to phone it in. The Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds (hello, Dusty Baker) are better than anyone thought. And the MLB-best Los Angeles Dodgers are at Wrigley Field through Sunday. So now might be a good time for the Cubs to put their rally caps on.

"I think we're close," pitcher Sean Marshall said. "I think we really are. It was a tough stretch. Hopefully it will be like the stock market, where it hits the bottom and then comes back up. I think that's where we are right now -- we're on our way back up."

Well, at least economist Marshall didn't compare the Cubs to the housing market. And he isn't alone on the Optimism Train.

"We're gonna be fine," reliever Carlos Marmol said.

"We're holding our head at about the water level," Piniella said. "What we need to do is just stabilize and improve and get better as the season progresses. I feel we're going to have a good team here. I feel that we're going to have a good season."

Tick, tock. The Cubs have fewer than 120 games to make good on the prediction. If Piniella is right, the Cubs will go long and far in the playoffs. If he's wrong, the Gatorade dispenser won't make it through June.

traderumor
05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
This season is starting to look a lot like Dusty's last season with the Cubs.

BRM
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
6 game suspension per ESPN. Z's agent says he will not appeal.

NJReds
05-28-2009, 06:32 PM

That's one start. No big deal, really, considering his tantrum.

RED VAN HOT
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM

They went on to say that he would be available to start next Thursday against the Braves. The end result is that his next start is pushed back two days. That looks like a compromise ruling to me. It supports the umpire, but falls short of what the penalty could have been had Zambrano clearly initiated the contact.

More importantly, by moving his start back to Thursday, he will miss the Reds on the ensuing series.

Homer Bailey
05-28-2009, 07:16 PM
They went on to say that he would be available to start next Thursday against the Braves. The end result is that his next start is pushed back two days. That looks like a compromise ruling to me. It supports the umpire, but falls short of what the penalty could have been had Zambrano clearly initiated the contact.

More importantly, by moving his start back to Thursday, he will miss the Reds on the ensuing series.

I'm not sure that's good news. Zambrano really does not scare me. It seems like we have hit him pretty hard the last few times.

Eric_the_Red
05-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure that's good news. Zambrano really does not scare me. It seems like we have hit him pretty hard the last few times.

With Harden on the DL, none of the Cubs starters scare me. I'll take the Reds staff against theirs any day.

GAC
05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I guess I can bench him for his next start on my FL team then huh? ;)

Hoosier Red
05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
That's one start. No big deal, really, considering his tantrum.

Really, if he hadn't bumped the umpire, it wouldn't have merited a suspension. It was fun to watch but ultimately harmless. The only damage he did was to his own clubs gatorade machine.

bucksfan2
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Really, if he hadn't bumped the umpire, it wouldn't have merited a suspension. It was fun to watch but ultimately harmless. The only damage he did was to his own clubs gatorade machine.

The ball toss would have warranted a suspension.

Chip R
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM

He did throw a ball in the stands which could have hurt someone. Of course, odds are it would have been a Cubs fan so it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Reds Fanatic
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
He did throw a ball in the stands which could have hurt someone. Of course, odds are it would have been a Cubs fan so it wouldn't have been a big deal.
I think one reason the suspension was not longer is the ball actually did not go in the stands. He threw it toward the stands in left but the ball did not actually go into the stands according to what the announcers said.

Eric_the_Red
05-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Especially if it hit the fan in the head. :D

vaticanplum
05-31-2009, 10:57 AM

One way or another Cubs fans would have turned that into a "curse".