PDA

View Full Version : The Reds are looking for outfield help

RedLakerFan24
05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
The Reds are looking for outfield help. Personally I'd like to see what the Laynce Nix/Jonny Gomes platoon can do over a full season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/olney-on-penny-reds-braves.html

Ghosts of 1990
05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Interesting. And I like it.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Any help is good help, although I think this platoon could be very good.

TheBigLebowski
05-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Now's not the time. Nix/Gomes is going fine.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
mlbtraderumors said nearly the same thing about the Cards..........that they are also looking for another good RH bat for their lineup.

NeilHamburger
05-27-2009, 10:40 PM
What about Miguel Tejada? He's been great on offense, would be the right-handed stick the reds need and would really bring together the lineup.

A guess a couple of questions:

Can he play LF? Anyone know?
Could he play 3rd?
Is he so bad defensively at SS that he wouldn't help if that's the only place he'd play?

Look at the potential lineup:

Taveras CF
Hairston 3rd
Votto 1st
Tejada SS
Bruce RF
Phillips 2nd
Hernandez Catcher
Gomes/Nix LF

DTCromer
05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Look for Walt to trade for a guy we can keep for a few years. In my opinion, it's a waste of valuable resources for a smaller market team to give up valuable prospects for a guy to play 2 months here. Plus, Walt has shown he won't to a CC Sabathia type trade where the player received will only be here for 2 months.

here's walt's history:

http://stl-sabr.bajink.com/fungoes/?page_id=736

Ghosts of 1990
05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd like Holliday.

OesterPoster
05-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I've said it before, but I still think one of the Texas outfielders gets traded soon. Marlon Byrd, Nelson Cruz, or Andruw Jones. If not to the Reds, then maybe the Cards.

nmculbreth
05-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I can understand the impulse but I'm not sure how much sense such a move would make for this club. Short of acquiring an elite middle of the order bat, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade we'd get over a Nix / Gomes platoon. I mean Matt Holliday would be an upgrade but would a player like Willingham, Kearns or Hermida be that much more productive that what we already have? I have my doubts.

GOYA
05-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Could it be that they are looking for a better bench OF than Dickerson?

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 11:57 PM
My problem right now is you have Heisey hitting around .360 in double AA and Sean Henry hitting around .310 in double AA. They have squat in terms of OFers in triple AAA, other than Drew Stubbs. Heisey and Henry need to be moved up and it needs to be determined what they can give this organization. Heisey has been a surprise for awhile now. Another guy that the critics say won't succeed, while they praise so many other talented guys who aren't putting it together. I'll take overachievers any day of the week over underachievers with alot of talent.

GOYA
05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
My problem right now is you have Heisey hitting around .360 in double AA and Sean Henry hitting around .310 in double AA. They have squat in terms of OFers in triple AAA, other than Drew Stubbs.

I don't expect to wait very long before Heisey moves up. Hopper is expendable. Louisville's roster over the last 365 days have provided the Reds with a lot of players.

Bruce
Hanigan
Janish
Gomes
Rosales
Fisher
Danny Ray
Dickerson

That's a lot of people to move up and expect lower level prospects to be ready to move into the AAA spots.

mroby85
05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I really don't see them going after someone unless they are a middle of the order type bat, considering it wouldn't really be an upgrade over what they already have. Ryan Zimmerman would be a GREAT pickup from Washington to play 3B, but I don't think they'd be willing to part with the package the Nats would want in return, and I wouldn't be willing to either, because I assume they would mention names like Cueto and Volquez.

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2009, 01:58 AM
I've said it before, but I still think one of the Texas outfielders gets traded soon. Marlon Byrd, Nelson Cruz, or Andruw Jones. If not to the Reds, then maybe the Cards.

I don't see it being Nelson Cruz. He's solidified there. 40 HR power and 30 SB potential. Really a good player. Byrd is not an upgrade over Gomes/Nix and Andruw Jones... gross

GOYA
05-28-2009, 02:22 AM
You know, the Nats LOVE ex-Reds. I think a deal for Guzman giving the Nats AGon, Dickerson and Lincoln would benefit both teams. :D

Redlegs Homer
05-28-2009, 03:29 AM
I don't want there to be a trade just because I'm afraid Rosales could be involved. It would be too predictable for my new favorite player to be sent away. That always happens.

But I would love Holliday even though it would involve giving up loads of prospects.

DTCromer
05-28-2009, 08:04 AM
You know, the Nats LOVE ex-Reds. I think a deal for Guzman giving the Nats AGon, Dickerson and Lincoln would benefit both teams. :D

Nope. Leatherpants is gone so they probably don't love them as much as usual.

xavr1
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't want there to be a trade just because I'm afraid Rosales could be involved. It would be too predictable for my new favorite player to be sent away. That always happens.

But I would love Holliday even though it would involve giving up loads of prospects.

I agree it would sting to see Rosales go in a deal, but I would jump at the chance if it were available (which it wont be). He is hitting relatively well but he isnt the future at 3B, so any value we could get for him would be welcome IMO. He wouldnt even be playing (let alone even on the team) if EE didnt go down.

All that said, he isnt getting traded.

BLEEDS
05-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd like Holliday.

I still can't figure out why we didn't trade for him last year.

This makes the most sense of all. Especially if he'd do a sign-and trade.

You think he might take a gander at this pitching staff and think we might be able to contend for awhile.

You think we can sell Beane on Homer Bailey and the pitcher's park adjustment? Of course we'd have to throw in some more prospects - I think Stubbs would be high on Beane's list. Some other fodder would be in order. I could see him taking a liking to Dickerson as well.

Holliday would THRIVE in this ballpark 82 games a year, a la Coors Field.
He could be the Big Bat this team needs to really put us over the top.

Doing a sign-and-trade for him would be very Walt Jocketty-esque...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Jones1
05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Agreed, Holiday would have to be at the top of the list. A line up 3 Votto, 4 Holiday and 5 Bruce would solidify this Reds lineup for years to come its enough to make you drool. Im just not so sure Holiday wouldn't hold out for a bigger market club that can afford to pay the ridiculous contract he'll want.

As for another option i've said it all along Xavier Nady would be a great fit here and give us very good production without too many great prospects. He's just rotting away on the yanks bench.

Or if you're looking for that one year rental guy you've got to look at Jermaine Dye and the production he'll give you this season to get to the playoffs.

All of this is moot however if we don't stay in the thick of it for the next few weeks.

UPRedsFan
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
You know I was thinking last night an alternative to the Nix/Gomes platoon if that fails to work, is that they give Hannigan more starts. Against left handers you could move Votto to left field and put Hernandez at 1B. Ask yourself, why are we keeping Hannigan's bat on the bench? He's hitting .328 and every time he plays he impresses me. That hit he got last night taking the breaking ball to the opposite field was very impressive. If Gomes cools off, I'd be interested in this type of move. Not sure if it hurts the defense, but it does get Votto prepared to move to the outfield when Yonder is ready. And it gets Hannigan's bat in the line up more. Of course if you tell me there's a Holliday deal in the works then forget all these internal moves. I agree with others. Votto, Holliday, Bruce makes me drool!

GIDP
05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
we need Hanley Ramirez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DTCromer
05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Why would we want Holliday? His splits away from Coors are awful and we'd have to give up an awful lot to sign the guy to a LARGE long term contract. Stay away from the guy.

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Here's the thing. I want Hollliday, but I don't want him to a LTC.

I am talking a sign and trade that would keep him here for the next 3 years, maximum. Maybe even including this season.

Why? Because in 3 years time Bruce and Votto's price will be up and I don't think Holliday will be worth their money then or even sooner. But for the next two years while they're still relatively cheap? Oh yea, he's the perfect bat for this lineup and this ballpark and I think we could get him for Dickerson, Bailey, Stubbs combo

RedLakerFan24
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Matt Moloney, Homer Bailey, and Drew Stubbs for Matt Holliday, the Economy is bad right now so i think he would accept a 3yr/45 mil offer

1. Willie Taveras
2. Brandon Phillips
3. Joey Votto
4. Matt Holliday
5. Jay Bruce
6. Ramon Hernandez
7. Edwin Encarnacion
8. Alex Gonzalez

travisgrimes
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's my problem... I don't want to make moves to win NOW if it ruins what we have built for the future. Francisco will most likely be here next season and Alonso prolly by mid-season 2010. So you don't want to block them from where they have worked so hard to get. BUT if I were to want some guys here's my list....

1. Adrian Beltre 3B Seattle Mariners
2. Nelson Cruz OF Texas Rangers
3. Michael Young SS Texas Rangers
4. Jermaine Dye OF Chicago White Sox
5. Matt Holliday OF Oakland A's
6. Ben Zobrist IF/OF Tampa Bay Rays
7. Magglio Ordonez OF Detriot Tigers

If I had to pick two guys to help us it would have to be Ben Zobrist and Jermaine Dye. Two guys who won't cost a lot and neither will block Alonso/Francisco. Here's the deals:

Reds Trade SP Homer Bailey, OF Chris Dickerson and a PTBNL to the Chicago White Sox for OF Jermaine Dye.

Reds Trade OF Daniel Dorn, SP matt Maloney and a PTBNL. to the Tampa Bay Rays for SS Ben Zobrist

Lineup:
1. CF Willy Taveras
2. 2B Brandon Phillips
3. 1B Joey Votto
4. LF Jermaine Dye
5. RF Jay Bruce
6. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
7. SS Ben Zobrist
8. C Ramon Hernandez
9. P

Dude Rock
05-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Here's my problem... I don't want to make moves to win NOW if it ruins what we have built for the future. Francisco will most likely be here next season and Alonso prolly by mid-season 2010. So you don't want to block them from where they have worked so hard to get. BUT if I were to want some guys here's my list....

1. Adrian Beltre 3B Seattle Mariners
2. Nelson Cruz OF Texas Rangers
3. Michael Young SS Texas Rangers
4. Jermaine Dye OF Chicago White Sox
5. Matt Holliday OF Oakland A's
6. Ben Zobrist IF/OF Tampa Bay Rays
7. Magglio Ordonez OF Detriot Tigers

If I had to pick two guys to help us it would have to be Ben Zobrist and Jermaine Dye. Two guys who won't cost a lot and neither will block Alonso/Francisco. Here's the deals:

Reds Trade SP Homer Bailey, OF Chris Dickerson and a PTBNL to the Chicago White Sox for OF Jermaine Dye.

Reds Trade OF Daniel Dorn, SP matt Maloney and a PTBNL. to the Tampa Bay Rays for SS Ben Zobrist

Lineup:
1. CF Willy Taveras
2. 2B Brandon Phillips
3. 1B Joey Votto
4. LF Jermaine Dye
5. RF Jay Bruce
6. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
7. SS Ben Zobrist
8. C Ramon Hernandez
9. P

Francisco won't be here next season. He K's too much and his average stinks right now. He is having a bad to mediocre season unlike his eye-opening solid one last season.

Walt's history doesn't make it look like he will do any big time deals. Plus the economic state of baseball is different right now.

I look for them to go with what they got unless a no-brainer low risk trade opportunity comes along.

Redlegs212
05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
no way zobrist would be worth two prospects and a PTBNL.

i would love to see the Dye deal you mentioned though.

and Nady is not wrotting on the Yankee's bench, he's injured and done for the year..

Chris Sabowned
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
SS and 3B should be our two highest needs right now, not OF.

gedred69
05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Could it be that they are looking for a better bench OF than Dickerson?

Of everything I've read on this thread, this sounds best. Nice guy who's athletic and had a moment or two, but c'mon......I'd rather see Hopper if we are featuring "late bloomers".

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd take Dickerson over Hopper, any day of the week. Twice on sunday.

Dickerson can outhit Hopper.... Can out run him and out play him in the field. And I don't even think highly of Dickerson as I did before spring training. But if it comes down to the two, I want Dick.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-29-2009, 12:55 AM

Dickerson can outhit Hopper.... Can out run him and out play him in the field. And I don't even think highly of Dickerson as I did before spring training. But if it comes down to the two, I want Dick.

Dickerson is only going to get better and he can hit for power and he can play small ball.

you need to change the last part of the sentence...:p:

flash
05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I really doubt that the Reds are looking for outfield help. Considering the talent at Carolina and Stubbs at Luisville the need does not exist.

Dude Rock
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Is there something you're not telling us? :p:

travisgrimes
05-29-2009, 08:03 PM
hearing rumblings from a family member in detroit the reds are talking to tigers about magglio ordonez.... local radio station reported reds interest and also through out a couple players tigers like: juan francisco, zach stewart, neftali soto and pedro viola.... dont know how true this is but just letting you guys know what im hearing

Krawhitham
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Why would we want Holliday? His splits away from Coors are awful and we'd have to give up an awful lot to sign the guy to a LARGE long term contract. Stay away from the guy.

He is hitting .299 in away games THIS season, add that to what he could so in Great American Small Park

Slyder
05-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Like another person said he's warming up. After a holiday (pardon the pun) in April he hit to the tune of .300 and an ops of .894, 5 hrs, 16 RBIs.

I dont think the question is would he do well in Cincy, but the question would be can we pay the cost that Oakland would find acceptable considering they gave up (at one time) a near top of the line closer who even with injuries is only 25, a 25 yr old starting pitcher who had a 4.16 ERA last year, and a 23 yr old outfielder that at one time was in baseball america's top 20 prospects when he was with the D'backs. Gonzalez was also a piece they got in the Haren deal that leads me to believe that Beane is looking for a BOATLOAD if he is to trade Holliday. I dunno if Holliday would be THAT much of an upgrade that he would merit trading a lot of upper level talent.

schmidty622
06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
After what Nix did last night, and looking at the year he's having, I dunno if we need to go else where to get someone to fill in at left field. I am actually pretty happy with Nix and Gomes in left.

Slyder
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
After what Nix did last night, and looking at the year he's having, I dunno if we need to go else where to get someone to fill in at left field. I am actually pretty happy with Nix and Gomes in left.

What about Nix/Dickerson in CF and a big bopper in LF ;)

schmidty622
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
What about Nix/Dickerson in CF and a big bopper in LF ;)

A lefty/lefty platoon in center is probably not the best idea considering they both struggle against lefty pitchers.

Slyder
06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
A lefty/lefty platoon in center is probably not the best idea considering they both struggle against lefty pitchers.

Add Tavares/Hairston to the mix, i forgot about both being lefties (shows what happens when youre 3/4 asleep when you post).