PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we're not being hard enough on our Reds

Highlifeman21
05-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Being the oldest franchise in professional baseball, we, as Reds fans, should blaze a trail, be trendsetters, what have you, with mocking and ridiculing players.

That being said, I think we should take a page from these guys (http://www.talkingchop.com/2009/5/23/884805/failcoeur-t-shirt-on-sale-contest)

Has RedsZone ever had a t-shirt contest?

Since RedsZone's been around, which Reds players have deserved such a t-shirt contest?

Ltlabner
05-28-2009, 07:20 AM
As someone who has fully adopted the "fail" phenomenon, I approve of that T shirt.

That T-Shirt is Win.

Eric_the_Red
05-28-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm all for a Redszone T-shirt contest if the shirt were one that positively reflects the Reds or a Reds player. Why? I just don't think this is the year to create a shirt dogging a player or the organization. (There were numerous opportunities in the last decade for that.)

I think this year is the proverbial "turn the corner" season, and expect the team to contend for years to come.

If RZ does get a shirt contest together I know of a supplier that could get them made much, much cheaper if the design isn't too detailed.

edabbs44
05-28-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm all for a Redszone T-shirt contest if the shirt were one that positively reflects the Reds or a Reds player. Why? I just don't think this is the year to create a shirt dogging a player or the organization. (There were numerous opportunities in the last decade for that.)

I think this year is the proverbial "turn the corner" season, and expect the team to contend for years to come.

If RZ does get a shirt contest together I know of a supplier that could get them made much, much cheaper if the design isn't too detailed.

My words exactly. A T-shirt contest is a great idea, but for the right reasons. Fans should be looking to promote the team, not beating on a 25 year old member of it.

Ltlabner
05-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Since RedsZone's been around, which Reds players have deserved such a t-shirt contest?

I don't think Highlifeman was referring to specifically this year, or a specific player on this team. Please note the bolded section of his post and that RZ existed prior to this year. Dates back to the late 90's IIRC.

I'd love to see a T-Shirt addressing any or all of the following:
Corey Patterson
Estaban Yan
Eric Milton
Joe Mayes
DeAngelo Jameniz (sp?)
Jason LaRue

Now if I can just work those names into a snappy T-Shirt slogan. It might be interesting to work The Lost Decade into the overall design.

Besides, if this organization as truly turned the corner, this might be a fitting final farewell to the Lost Decade. Geez guys...think positive.

Razor Shines
05-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Being the oldest franchise in professional baseball, we, as Reds fans, should blaze a trail, be trendsetters, what have you, with mocking and ridiculing players.

That being said, I think we should take a page from these guys (http://www.talkingchop.com/2009/5/23/884805/failcoeur-t-shirt-on-sale-contest)

That is fantastic. Could we beat that though?

Ltlabner
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
That is fantastic. Could we beat that though?

Certainly we could work something out with Real Cormier couldn't we?

durl
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
My words exactly. A T-shirt contest is a great idea, but for the right reasons. Fans should be looking to promote the team, not beating on a 25 year old member of it.

I agree. Your shirt should always rip another team, not your own.

As an example, I saw a Cards fan wearing a hilarious shirt during the Cubs/Cards game a little while back:

C ompletely
U seless
B y
S eptember

westofyou
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Being the oldest franchise in professional baseball

Not the Reds, Braves and Cubs, hold that title

Yes there has been 2 I believe.

Razor Shines
05-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree. Your shirt should always rip another team, not your own.

As an example, I saw a Cards fan wearing a hilarious shirt during the Cubs/Cards game a little while back:

C ompletely
U seless
B y
S eptember

I disagree. I think what the Braves' fans did is much more funny. I think redszone should try it, but again I'm not positive we can top Failcouer. And I wouldn't want to make one unless ours was better.

WMR
05-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I disagree. I think what the Braves' fans did is much more funny. I think redszone should try it, but again I'm not positive we can top Failcouer. And I wouldn't want to make one unless ours was better.

Jerry Failston Junior

Unassisted
05-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Although it isn't clear it's deserved yet, from a name standpoint, the easy mark for this treatment would be Homer Failey.

fisch11
05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
David Williams (or Failliams) would be a good choice.

Johnny Footstool
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Is "Failcoeur" really all that clever? Looks pretty toothless to me.

Chip R
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Is "Failcoeur" really all that clever? Looks pretty toothless to me.

They are Braves fans. Their idea of clever is appropriating the Tomahawk Chop from FSU.

klw
05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
How about Sean Casey in biblical garb photoshopped to be passing a torch to Brandon Phillips in front of a background of a diagram of scorebook showing a 6-4-3 DP with fancy scolled lettering saying "Go forth my son and ground into a rallying killing, beer tossing at the tv, head banging into the wall twin killing. From now on the Casey shall be renameth the Phillips."

WMR
05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
How about Sean Casey in biblical garb photoshopped to be passing a torch to Brandon Phillips in front of a background of a diagram of scorebook showing a 6-4-3 DP with fancy scolled lettering saying "Go forth my son and ground into a rallying killing, beer tossing at the tv, head banking into the wall twin killing. From now on the Casey shall be renameth the Phillips."

:laugh:

That's good.

camisadelgolf
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I just call it the ol' BPDP.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
We should've done something to honor Chris Denofria back in the day. There were a lot of funny "Chris Denorfia Facts" floating around the board that would've made for quality t-shirt material.

15fan
05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
If ever anyone deserved to be on a fail shirt, it's this guy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/2002/allstar/news/2002/07/09/allstar_game_ap/t1_selig_ap.jpg

CarolinaRedleg
05-28-2009, 01:51 PM
If ever anyone deserved to be on a fail shirt, it's this guy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/2002/allstar/news/2002/07/09/allstar_game_ap/t1_selig_ap.jpg

Failig?

The Co-Mess-ioner?

LvJ
05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I can't believe that's an actual quote, haha.

Ltlabner
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Wasn't there a picture of a Reds player swinging at a ball that was 3' outside floating around for a while? Maybe Willie Green? The view is from above home plate.

That's got classic Fail poster potential.

jojo
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Estaban Yan

Isn't he selling guitars on infomercials now?

*BaseClogger*
05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/washington_natinals_tshirt-235577763760843353

http://www.zazzle.com/washington_natinals_tshirt-235577763760843353

IslandRed
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Disclaimer: I've read the Fail Blog on many occasions and it is HILARIOUS.

However...

If a fan base want to be trailblazing and trendsetting these days, they need to NOT rip their team at every opportunity, real or imagined. Nobody's doing that. :p:

Tom Servo
05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Although it isn't clear it's deserved yet, from a name standpoint, the easy mark for this treatment would be Homer Failey.
Another one that works even though I don't think it's necessarily deserved is Brandon Fail-lips.

camisadelgolf
05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Isn't he selling guitars on infomercials now?
I believe he played on the same Mexican team as Dan Serafini and Humberto Cota (who was released by the Reds not too long ago) earlier this year. I doubt he's still on the team, though.

Highlifeman21
05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think Highlifeman was referring to specifically this year, or a specific player on this team. Please note the bolded section of his post and that RZ existed prior to this year. Dates back to the late 90's IIRC.

I'd love to see a T-Shirt addressing any or all of the following:
Corey Patterson
Estaban Yan
Eric Milton
Joe Mayes
DeAngelo Jameniz (sp?)
Jason LaRue

Now if I can just work those names into a snappy T-Shirt slogan. It might be interesting to work The Lost Decade into the overall design.

Besides, if this organization as truly turned the corner, this might be a fitting final farewell to the Lost Decade. Geez guys...think positive.

Corey Patterson = Twopitchatbatterson
Estaban Yan = Esteban Yawn (weak, I know)
Eric Milton = We have lift off!
Joe Mays = Pitched his best years as a Twin, stole money from the Reds
DeAngelo Jimenez = DFA'd for Tony Womack!
Jason LaRue = Country Boy Can Strike Out

For current Reds:

BP = Never met a pitch he doesn't like
Taveras = ... b/c you can't steal first base
Nix = Grab your boogie shoes, it's time for the Daynce Mix!
Votto = Proof that not everything from Canada Sucks

For former Reds:

Castro = Manos de Oros!

Highlifeman21
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
How about Sean Casey in biblical garb photoshopped to be passing a torch to Brandon Phillips in front of a background of a diagram of scorebook showing a 6-4-3 DP with fancy scolled lettering saying "Go forth my son and ground into a rallying killing, beer tossing at the tv, head banging into the wall twin killing. From now on the Casey shall be renameth the Phillips."

See, you're thinkin'!

Love where your head's at!

Mario-Rijo
05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Not the Reds, Braves and Cubs, hold that title

Huh, How's that?

*BaseClogger*
05-29-2009, 12:09 AM
"Can't get Joey Votto out? Blame Canada."

Caveat Emperor
05-29-2009, 01:47 AM
"Can't get Joey Votto out? Blame Canada."

"There's nothing JV about Joey Votto!"

thatcoolguy_22
05-29-2009, 02:46 AM
greatest shirt ever...

Just put my avatar on the front and "thatcoolguy_22" on the back with the number 18. Sell a million by the end of the week ;)

Serioulsy great thread topic. I'll get to work

GAC
05-29-2009, 07:50 AM
We need to do a RZ T-shirt again. My wife says mine is getting kinda tacky. I say it's just broken in. ;)

Wouldn't that be a great way to raise money for da 'zone?

westofyou
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Huh, How's that?
The Reds were the first all professional team, they are not the oldest franchise the Reds were kicked out of the NL in the 1870's and had no team for 3 years.

The Cubs and The Braves have been operating continuously since 1876.

pedro
05-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Huh, How's that?

IIRC the original Reds moved to Boston and became the Braves.

The Reds were "first" profession team, not the "oldest"

RFS62
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
IIRC the original Reds moved to Boston and became the Braves.

The Reds were "first" profession team, not the "oldest"

Wasn't that just Harry Wright and his brother going to the Red Sox?

westofyou
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

And the name... they took the name too. They tossed it for the NL opening season (Red Caps)

Chip R
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM

A few of the other players went too but not all.

Actually, the Red Stockings were the first openly professional team. A lot of the other top clubs paid their players under the table. It was an open secret. They changed the rule in the offseason before 1869 and allowed teams to openly pay their players a salary. Professionalism had somewhat of a social stigma to it back then.

The Reds were actually kicked out of the NL after 1880 for selling alcohol in their park. They re-formed in the American Association - which was a major league - in 1882 and won the pennant that season. They played in the AA until 1890 and went back to the NL.