PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

dsmith421
07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Was that before or after Jordan Crawford dunked on him and LeBron sent his Nike goons around to destroy the evidence?

WMR
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
2 yrs @ 1 mil. per according to sources. I couldn't be happier for Jodie. I think he can find his way as a situational shooter and hopefully grow from there. I will follow his NBA progress with keen interest.

And that is just sad that LeBron and/or Nike confiscated the footage of LeBron getting dunked on. Just lame. I really hope the video surfaces. LeBron should be embarrassed into making sure that it is released. It will hurt his cred a lot more if no one ever sees it.

dsmith421
07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
And that is just sad that LeBron and/or Nike confiscated the footage of LeBron getting dunked on. Just lame. I really hope the video surfaces. LeBron should be embarrassed into making sure that it is released. It will hurt his cred a lot more if no one ever sees it.

It is unquestionably the best thing that's happened to the XU program in an otherwise disastrous offseason.

If Crawford is the player he's rumored to be Xavier could be back in the Top 15 again this year.

SMcGavin
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
It is unquestionably the best thing that's happened to the XU program in an otherwise disastrous offseason.

If Crawford is the player he's rumored to be Xavier could be back in the Top 15 again this year.

Coming from an IU fan who watched him for a year - Crawford is good. He can really fill it up. His decision making left something to be desired at times, but there is no doubt about his ability to score the ball. When the major purge went down after Sampson was fired, Crawford was the one guy I hoped would stick around.

Hoosier Red
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Coming from an IU fan who watched him for a year - Crawford is good. He can really fill it up. His decision making left something to be desired at times, but there is no doubt about his ability to score the ball. When the major purge went down after Sampson was fired, Crawford was the one guy I hoped would stick around.

Well since this is the UK thread, I suppose we have to keep it relevant.

"Jordan's Better, (CLAP-CLAP)(CLAP-CLAP-CLAP)"

TeamSelig
07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't see how it is that bad. They violated the rules of the camp(no taping)... follow them or don't show up, pretty simple...

Honestly though, I don't really care if some young scrub dunks on the best player in the game. Who knows if this kid will even make it to the NBA?

WVRed
07-10-2009, 10:19 PM
2 yrs @ 1 mil. per according to sources. I couldn't be happier for Jodie. I think he can find his way as a situational shooter and hopefully grow from there. I will follow his NBA progress with keen interest.

Out of curiosity, have you been following the nerd fight between Marc and Dustin Rumbaugh?

I will give DR credit, even if he is posting for KSR, he has been providing more information than Marc has lately. I'm about ready to cancel on TBK with the lack of news coming out.

From KSR:

First off, I just want to say that I respect Marc’s business savvy. I know that his site isn’t getting many hits nowadays, so why not poke and prod at the individuals at a bigger site and try to get them to talk about you. So as much as it pains me to do so, I’ll give in to his constant begging for my attention and mention his name just once. Let’s start out by taking a little walk down memory lane and clearing up a few lies.

This is my story with Marc. Marc was looking for writers for his site and, after following recruiting and attending events for many years, I did have a little itch to write about it so I wrote Marc an email which explained why I was qualified for the position. Shortly after I sent that letter, I received a message from Marc asking me to write for his site. I wrote for Roundball Recruiting for about a month. Marc didn’t have his site set up so that Roundball writers could write for True Blue Kentucky also, but he promised his Roundball writers that he would make the connection very soon. During that same time, the Eric Bledsoe recruitment was drawing to a final decision. Since I didn’t have any way to write for True Blue Kentucky, I thought the best thing to do with the information that I was receiving on Eric’s decision was to create my own blog and pass it along in that format. That’s when I started “State of the Program.” In the end, the information was good and Bledsoe committed to UK. Marc didn’t like the fact that I had “competed” with True Blue Kentucky, a position that I completely understood, and he asked me to take down my blog. He told me to either take it down or quit his site. In true Maggard form, he also told me that if I didn’t take it down…gasp…I would be banned from his site. I decided to stick with my blog because I didn’t like being associated with someone who treats his customers badly, someone who constantly needs to boost his own ego, and someone who, frankly, only received his information from one source and that source was gone. Long story short, I knew an affiliation with Marc Maggard would only hurt me in the end and that Marc couldn’t keep his own business afloat, let alone guide others down correct pathways.

Now, fact time.

Fact: Marc Maggard has been connected to UK’s coaching staff. That’s true. He was very connected to Coach Cox and if you follow Marc’s timeline of decent information, you’ll notice that it directly correlates with the time period in which Cox was coaching at UK. Now Coach Cox is gone and now Marc Maggard isn’t getting his insider information anymore, which is why he is begging Kentucky Sports Radio writers to speak his name and generate some hits for him.

Fact: Marc Maggard scouts basketball players. This is also true. His connection with Coach Cox was based on his ability to scout players for the coaches. Now, he didn’t have to scout top players for the coaches, they already knew about those kids, but he did turn them onto some other “less well known” recruits that he felt, in his infinite wisdom, should be on UK’s radar. Among the people who also attend these events with me, events that Marc is NEVER at (more on that later), this is a common known fact. He guided UK’s eyes to a few of his “favorite” players and told the coaches they were UK material. I’m not going to name names here, in the interest of the kids affected by Marc’s poor scouting, so I’ll just let you look at some of the “less well known” prospects that UK received commitments from and draw your own conclusions about his scouting abilities.

Fact: Marc Maggard doesn’t like the job I’ve done thus far at KSR. Honestly, what would you expect? You can’t expect him to tell you that, even though he doesn’t like it, he has to admit that most of my assessments were good. The truth of the matter is that Marc Maggard sells a product that isn’t really “specialized.” If Marc is such a special scout, why isn’t he an assistant coach somewhere or scouting for NBA teams? The reason is because he isn’t really that special. Look at the totem pole of money earners in the scouting game. Marc is treading water with a tiny website, while the truly great scouts can make millions doing what they do. If Marc were a plumber, he’d be the equivalent of the guy that they let drain the port-0-potties. He’s a bottom feeder. Bottom feeders and unskilled workers need a gimmick in order to make money. His gimmick is to pass on what he calls “spot in time” opinions, but anyone with a brain knows that this translates to, at best, somewhat educated guesses. When a player is down to four schools, he has a 25% chance of being right 100% of the time. Look at his track record and you’ll see, its all just a numbers game based on guesses. Sometimes he hits the lotto, most of the time he’s wrong. That’s his gimmick.

Here’s my method: You’re going to get accurate recruiting information here for free. Plus I won’t act like a ****** bag or constantly make you stare at a picture of me with frosted blonde tips and a receding hairline. Honestly Marc, out of all the poses that we know your bloated ego made you try, the one with you doing “The Rock” eyebrow was the winner?

Fact: Marc Maggard has not attended any of the major summer events this year. This should be an eye-opener for those of you who don’t really know what Marc does during “his busy summer schedule.” Bloomington, Indiana at the AMC? No Marc Maggard. Charlottesville, VA at the Top 100 Camp? No Marc Maggard. Cincinnati, OH at the Adidas It Takes 5ive? Sorry Marc, didn’t see you. Eddie Ford’s Kentucky Hoop Fest? Saw Matt Jones, didn’t see you Marc. So what does Marc do with all his time? I don’t know. If you feel like getting banned from his site, you could ask him. Maybe he’ll let you know. I’m sure its pretty time consuming to rip up your own members and readers on message boards, hit the hairdresser and tanning bed, all while using different phony usernames on other message boards to talk about how much inside information Marc Maggard has. He’s a busy dude guys, no time for basketball tournaments. I’m sure he’ll grace us with his presence at the major tournaments in Las Vegas, since that is the home for flashy hairdos, massive egos and washed up has-beens.

Fact: I’ve never paid for Marc’s information and I’ve never “begged him for info.” While I am a member of other recruiting sites, his site is not one of them. The reason is that I can’t be everywhere at once and I want to know what happens elsewhere so I can pass on some of the UK related news to you. Ask Marc to show you a receipt or whatever proof he claims to have that I was a subscriber. He can’t do it because I’ve never been that gullible. The only “info” that we have exchanged is a text message where I said “I’m hearing that Eric Bledsoe is committing to UK. I would imagine you are hearing the same. Want me to post it on Roundball?” He never responded. I posted it on “State of the Program” instead and the rest is history.

Fact: Marc and I had an agreement that he broke. When I chose to write for KSR, I told Marc that I would like to remain cordial with him and not get involved in any disputes between him and Matt. I went on to say that I would never say anything negative about him or his information. It seemed like we had an agreement that the disputes between this site and Marc would remain a thing between them and would not involve myself. That all changed when people started to realize that free recruiting information wasn’t just a pipe dream and would be available at Kentucky Sports Radio. Immediately, I assume that Marc felt like he needed to discredit me in any way that he could in order to keep people from realizing the truth. The truth is this: his information no longer holds the same value because you can get it here for free. Since he couldn’t, god forbid, give his info for free, he needed to do the only thing possible, which was to fabricate things about me and my information so that his information seemed to hold more value. I hope that when people read what he has to say about me, they realize that they are witnessing a fish out of water, flopping on the hot pavement, gasping for air, and willing to do whatever it takes to save their life. This agreement was the reason that you had never seen me, and will never see me again, say anything bad about Marc. I, unlike Marc, am a man of my word and felt like petty personal attacks would seem unprofessional and immature. As physically draining, and honestly embarrassing, it is for me to write this, I felt like he left me no choice but to defend myself.

Now that I’ve let you know the truth, I don’t want to never have to write about this again. I hope that Marc can grow up and quit writing about me. I’m just here to do what I love and that is to watch basketball and talk to the athletes and pass on any resulting information to you guys. We are two grown men, Marc. The fact that I even had to type something like this is completely ridiculous. Can we please just stick to basketball and act like a couple of professionals about it? Thanks.

WMR
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I don’t want to never

Some impressive language skills there.

And no, I knew nothing about this latest... whatever it is. I could care less, honestly.

Don't know what sort of info you expect to hear... this is a pretty dead period as far as recruiting news is concerned.

WMR
07-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I would be mortified if something that I submitted for publication had such glaring grammatical errors. Does no one proofread their own stuff anymore?

WVRed
07-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Don't know what sort of info you expect to hear... this is a pretty dead period as far as recruiting news is concerned.

It is a dead period in terms of recruiting, but there are still plenty of camps going on. As Dustin pretty much pointed out, he has been around to most of them and has provided some pretty good information about the players (for free I might add). Marc has been in Germany doing God knows what.

Casey did make a pretty lengthy rebuttal on TBK though. It's always fun watching KSR and TBK go at it.

WMR
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
:lol: It's all just so freaking stupid. Fighting on the internet, haha.

WMR
07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
It is a dead period in terms of recruiting, but there are still plenty of camps going on. As Dustin pretty much pointed out, he has been around to most of them and has provided some pretty good information about the players (for free I might add). Marc has been in Germany doing God knows what.

Casey did make a pretty lengthy rebuttal on TBK though. It's always fun watching KSR and TBK go at it.

Shoe events fire up all over the country at this time of year. Gymnasiums fill with players, coaches, .... and reporters. These reporters watch kids play, take mental notes as to which coaches are watching which kids, collect stats, and then they stand in line to ask the players familiar questions such as:

1) "What are your 3-5 favorite schools?"
2) "Would you say any of those have differentiated themselves into the lead for your services?"
3) "From which NBA player would you say you've patterned your game most?"
4) "When will you be taking visits?"

The players, sometimes, politely answer those questions and rarely do it the same way every time. The reporters take the answers they've saved into their palm recorders and head back to the room for some blogging or article writing. Over time, some "reporters" have gotten very good at this. Jerry Meyer, Dave Telep, Evan Daniels, and (locally) Jody Demling have done a good job of getting information from a plethora of channels and reporting on it. These guys are pros.

Of all the potential roles that could be filled in the recruiting world, this particular one is pretty well covered. Nonetheless, a rash of "me, too" reporters have joined the fray to provide info at various websites in the same flavor of the aforementioned core group. Of course, this brings us to Dustin Rumbaugh over on Matt Jones' site.

Dustin serves his purpose (albeit not one that isn't already served by people who are better at it), and I have no issue with the work Dustin does. He travels to events on his dime out of passion to play the game, interview kids, and write snippets about his experiences. It's up to him. Whatever. Now, what does Dustin provide above and beyond what's provided by, say, Jody Demling? Well, he has made an attempt at providing "scouting" reports of players and interjected his opinion into his reports.

Dustin is within his right to do so, but those opinions and reports get read, sometimes by people who have been around the block a few times. Marc read it, and he stated the opinion that the scouting reports were "off," and that Dustin made some recruiting statements knew were 100% false. Just as Dustin is free to make these reports, anyone is free to comment on them, apparently, except for Marc Maggard. If Marc does it, Dustin writes a tear-soaked diatribe defending himself and blasting Marc at the same time.

Included in his summer airing of the grievances was the charge that Marc's info well has dried up since a certain former assistant is no longer with Kentucky. I won't drag this one out, but I will say that's funny because Marc constantly was stressing the importance of NOT using "UK sources" over the years while Dustin's father, Matt Jones, was busy playing chase with Woo in their socks and claiming he knew more than anyone on the Web. :laugh:

Marc has not commented back to Dustin, but he wouldn't have said what he did if he did not stand behind the comments 100%. That's that. Dustin is free to be upset, and he obviously is. He's veiled it with some self-important statements: something about stepping down from a pedestal to give us the honor of a response, but he was very emotional about it.

Newsflash: Other sites have multiple people reporting on what is going on at the events, and they provide that information for free.

Keeping that in mind, True Blue Kentucky has never had any of those reporters - and that is a choice. We just don't see value in the redundancy. It's just one more guy standing in line to ask the same questions and report on the same AAU statistics. I know because I was setting out to be one of those guys, and I was considering it as a hobby just as Dustin is. I quickly realized just how worthless and what a waste of time it really is.

Now, if everyone else quits doing it, rest assured - TBK will look to provide that information to our readers in our own format. I'll be happy to do it. But we see it as well covered.

So the result of that decision is a period of time during the summer months where we appear to be slower than other sites - such as the Courier Journal, which we do not view as a competitor. We realize that, and yes - there are quite a few things going on with events and such. But largely, much of it is not yet significant. That's the important thing about our stance. And because little of it is significant, you're just not seeing much comment from our crew.

So when will it start? Normally, Marc is at these events himself as well, rubbing elbows and what not. He's been in camps out of the country recently, etc, and as he gets his bearings - the content will roll as dominoes begin to actually fall. But we're just not into "my top five is." Dustin can have that. Congrats, kiddo! You've arrived!

And it's normally when it matters, actual commitment time, when TBK is out ahead of the pack with content. When Coach Cal was hired and the Wall, Cousins, etc recruitment picked up, most everyone was pretty happy here. That's when we were giving the info while Matt Jones was busy making statements like "Maybe Coach Cal won't have to cheat at UK like he had to at Memphis."

As the opportunity for a UNIQUE viewpoint or report arises, True Blue Kentucky is on it. Lately, coaches are watching. Kids are playing. Little more of serious significance which needs additional coverage.

Thanks for your time.

As Casey said, you can get the crap that you're clamoring for from about a half dozen or so sources right now. It would be absolutely redundant for TBK to do what Demling and others are covering fine right now. I don't see how you could read this post and still post what you did. Casey pretty much answered your criticism directly and his answer makes perfect sense.

I wondered where Dustin's hurt feelings came from. Makes better sense now.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 12:23 PM
And this is why we should all be concerned with the downfall of newspapers and other legitimate journalism.

WMR
07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't know if there's any left. Look at the clowns "covering" the Reds nowadays... we've got idiots like Tipton here in Lexington. It is the 'TMZification' of America and I think much of the blame should go to those very newspapers/news sources who used to be able to pride themselves on their legitimacy as a source of news.

Scrap Irony
07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Why can't they play well together? I get the sense TBK is a bit power-hungry/ greedy and KSR is a bit sensitive.

And I agree completely, dab. With newspapers, you get very little drama. The internet allows everyone to be hyper-sensitive about everything.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know if there's any left. Look at the clowns "covering" the Reds nowadays... we've got idiots like Tipton here in Lexington. It is the 'TMZification' of America and I think much of the blame should go to those very newspapers/news sources who used to be able to pride themselves on their legitimacy as a source of news. Big difference between the legit news sources and the way these net sources do business.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Why can't they play well together? I get the sense TBK is a bit power-hungry/ greedy and KSR is a bit sensitive. And I agree completely, dab. With newspapers, you get very little drama. The internet allows everyone to be hyper-sensitive about everything. ksr tries, sometimes, to be objective and have some perspective. Sometimes. tbk not so much. Both are good for a laugh from time to time. But this back and forth and dissing other sites gets tiresome. I don't care who doesn't like who. I would just like to have a clue what is going on. Sometimes I get that from those two sites. Sometimes.

WMR
07-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Big difference between the legit news sources and the way these net sources do business.

Seriously?!?!

The point is that it's getting worse everywhere, from "legit" on down because everyone is desperate to stay relevant.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Seriously?!?! The point is that it's getting worse everywhere, from "legit" on down because everyone is desperate to stay relevant. Yeah. Huge difference.

WMR
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah. Huge difference.

Wow, so the New York Times operates differently than Kentucky Sports Radio?! You're blowing my mind here, dab. ;)

The cascading effect of worsening journalistic integrity strikes at all segments of the industry, unfortunately.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow, so the New York Times operates differently than Kentucky Sports Radio?! You're blowing my mind here, dab. ;) The cascading effect of worsening journalistic integrity strikes at all segments of the industry, unfortunately. Having some integrity is better than having none.

Scrap Irony
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think there's any "cascading" going on at all. Newspapers are as they have always been-- that's part of their problem. From Hearst's yellow journalism to today, many have biases but, for the most part, they report the news they know.

This isn't journalism-- it's high school drama with keyboards and grudges.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think there's any "cascading" going on at all. Newspapers are as they have always been-- that's part of their problem. From Hearst's yellow journalism to today, many have biases but, for the most part, they report the news they know. This isn't journalism-- it's high school drama with keyboards and grudges. Said perfectly.

WMR
07-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think there's any "cascading" going on at all. Newspapers are as they have always been-- that's part of their problem. From Hearst's yellow journalism to today, many have biases but, for the most part, they report the news they know.

I'll disagree and leave it at that.

WMR
07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Having some integrity is better than having none.

I think I read that on a fortune cookie once.

dabvu2498
07-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I think I read that on a fortune cookie once. Did you add "in the bedroom?" :D

WVRed
07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
As Casey said, you can get the crap that you're clamoring for from about a half dozen or so sources right now. It would be absolutely redundant for TBK to do what Demling and others are covering fine right now. I don't see how you could read this post and still post what you did. Casey pretty much answered your criticism directly and his answer makes perfect sense.

I wondered where Dustin's hurt feelings came from. Makes better sense now.

Regardless, scouting reports are Dustin's specialty over at KSR. I don't really care so much for the "top 3-5 schools being listed" because places such as Rivals and Scout make enough money by charging for that (and no I don't pay for either one).

As I said, I understand it is a dead period in terms of recruiting. That being said, there are still some AAU tournaments going on with top UK recruits performing and it is nice to get a little info regarding how well their game could translate playing in Lexington. Dustin and KSR have been doing that and Marc has been playing catch up of late.

Either way, it is still just a nerd fight between the two sites (dab did an excellent job with the description of the two). Both websites are fine as long as you keep it in perspective (especially KSR which appeals more to college age UK fans). There is no website like Redszone for UK and I really wish at times there was one, but TBK comes the closest.

WVRed
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
In other news, the guy who founded Mountain State Academy in Beckley has moved to Huntington and is opening a prep school. One of the recruits interested is Dominique Ferguson. Locationwise, this is going to benefit UK if it can get running.

dabvu2498
07-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Wvred - for a rational, not so crazy, message board try wildcatnation.net. There are more Jonesites than Maggardians there and there is no over the top homerism, faux journalism or any website owners calling posters stupid. It is seriously a solid mb.

dabvu2498
07-15-2009, 02:57 PM
So Billy G is writing a book... How many crayons will it take to color it? :D

WMR
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm telling you guys the 2011 class could be amazing...

UK is currently sitting pretty with Gilchrist, O'Bryant, and Christmas. UK has a great chance at all of them.

Those three could potentially be the top 3 players in the 2011 class.

WMR
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Jodie has been averaging 16 pts. per game in 4 games so far for the Bucks. He got named to some All Summer League team along with Griffin, Reke Evans, and some other high first rounders. Pretty impressive.

WVRed
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm telling you guys the 2011 class could be amazing...

UK is currently sitting pretty with Gilchrist, O'Bryant, and Christmas. UK has a great chance at all of them.

Those three could potentially be the top 3 players in the 2011 class.

I know a lot of people are expecting Cal to bring in major one and done recruits, but I would be more in favor of using the 2010 scholarships on players who are more likely to hang around for an extra season.

If we could get players like Doron Lamb and Tobias Harris who would be more likely to stick around for 2-3 years and then add a monster class in 2011, there would be enough all around talent to possibly challenge the 1996 team.

WMR
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah I'm really interested in who they'll end up signing for 2010. Hopefully several guys who, like you said, can be building blocks for the program for a few years.

Keep in mind, however, that Cal is going to have A BUNCH of scholarships for the 2010 class. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps a couple in his back pocket for 2011.

jmac
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Jodie has been averaging 16 pts. per game in 4 games so far for the Bucks. He got named to some All Summer League team along with Griffin, Reke Evans, and some other high first rounders. Pretty impressive.

Heard on the news today he scored 29 last night.

WVRed
07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I bring the goods:

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/calandlebron3.jpg
http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lebronshooting.jpg

George Foster
07-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Heard on the news today he scored 29 last night.

I'm very happy for him. He proved me and the scouts wrong. I think all the scouts are scratching their heads and wondering why he was not a 1st round pick.

WVRed
07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm very happy for him. He proved me and the scouts wrong. I think all the scouts are scratching their heads and wondering why he was not a 1st round pick.

As much as I am pulling for Jodie to do well, I'm not reading much into the summer league games. He is going up against other freshman in these games and not against players who have a lot more NBA experience.

If he was doing this in the regular season, I would be taking notice. Jodie still has a long way to go IMO.

WVRed
07-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Very interesting, Josh Selby, who is another top PG for the class of 2010 alongside Brandon Knight, Kyrie Irving, and Joe Jackson, has de-committed from Tennessee.

UT fans are claiming it is because he wants to play at a Nike school (UT is Adidas). His second cousins are Will and Antonio Barton, who committed to play at Memphis. Louisville could be a factor as well.

WMR
07-19-2009, 12:36 PM
It's an ACC thing with the Selby.

WVRed
07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
It's an ACC thing with the Selby.

Just saw that.

As I posted on TBK, this is why I take any kid recruiting prior to his senior year of high school with a grain of salt.

WMR
07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah I understand where you're coming from but I disagree. If you can get a commit from a kid like Michael Gilchrist you take it. Immediately and without hesitation. Sure it may eventually turn out different, but you've substantially increased the odds that the kid will actually enroll if he does in fact give a verbal commitment for your school. More verbals are ultimately honored than not.

I think Cal will reserve offering such early scholarships for only the ultra-elite kids which is the proper course of action for a school like Kentucky now being helmed by a recruiting dynamo like Coach Cal.

WMR
07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Now I'm sure that BRM, Hoosier Red, and Josh already have this site set as their home page, but for those who don't know, www.CoachCal.com will have an official soft launch tomorrow.

BRM
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I'll follow it as closely as I do www.CoachKelvin.com (http://www.CoachKelvin.com).

WVRed
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
According to Larry Vaught, Brandon Knight and Adriean Payne are both close to committing to UK.

Marc Maggard has come out and denied it.

This is what I am hoping is Kentucky's 2010 class (with the available schollies):

PG-Brandon Knight
PG-Josh Selby
SF-CJ Leslie
PF-Tobias Harris
C-Adriean Payne

Knight and Selby could be tricky and even unlikely, but even then, everybody else I think could be considered heavy UK leans except for Payne (Huggybear)

Selby and Bledsoe could be true PG's while I see Brandon Knight being more of an OJ Mayo. Has the ability to be a floor general, but better as a two guard who can handle the ball.

WVRed
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
BTW, there is a story going around that DeAndre Liggins went off during the scrimmage that LeBron was at and took his game to another level after the King and Wall got under his skin. He started dunking on people and really left LeBron impressed.

I have a feeling that if he keeps his head screwed on straight, we could see a new DeAndre Liggins.

WMR
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Want to have, as the Japanese call it, a super pant explosion? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rsjJQz0GGE

WVRed
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Want to have, as the Japanese call it, a super pant explosion? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rsjJQz0GGE

Fast forward to around the 3:25 mark. The behind the back pass is absolutely filthy.

WVRed
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Also, UK's basketball schedule for the upcoming season will be released on television via the Big Blue Network.

WMR
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Fast forward to around the 3:25 mark. The behind the back pass is absolutely filthy.

Yep, I don't think there will be any issues whatsoever if Bledsoe and Wall end up both starting or playing together for significant minutes.

WVRed
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Yep, I don't think there will be any issues whatsoever if Bledsoe and Wall end up both starting or playing together for significant minutes.

FWIW, this is exactly why I want UK to land BOTH Josh Selby and Brandon Knight.

Knight is a much better shooter than a PG. He could thrive as a 2 guard who could pose a bigger ballhandling threat. Selby seems to fit the John Wall type of PG mold and could split time with Bledsoe.

WMR
07-27-2009, 11:13 PM
You know what I'm looking forward to seeing again? The blowouts.

I remember so many games under Rick when you could just tell that the other team was NOT excited about being on the same floor as the Cats. The look of sheer dread plastered all over their faces.

This team has got the chance to be one of the most entertaining and high-powered Kentucky teams of all-time. It is going to be a blast.

WVRed
07-28-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm looking forward to going back to Memorial Gymnasium more than anywhere (Sorry Dab)

dabvu2498
07-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm looking forward to going back to Memorial Gymnasium more than anywhere (Sorry Dab)

Why would you be looking forward to another whoopin?

Besides, the last couple years were long due for Commodore fans.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Good article by Andy Katz and the combinations UK will have avialable this season. Also Long Beach State will be on the schedule. They will be a favorite to win the Big West this season. So a pretty good team added to the schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4361227&name=katz_andy

durl
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM

I remember so many games under Rick when you could just tell that the other team was NOT excited about being on the same floor as the Cats. The look of sheer dread plastered all over their faces.

This team has got the chance to be one of the most entertaining and high-powered Kentucky teams of all-time. It is going to be a blast.

I can understand what you're saying. I look at it just a little bit differently.

I'm not looking forward to "blowouts" in particular, but rather, I'm looking forward to expecting to win games against far less-talented opponents. For the past few years, teams that are not far above NAIA caliber have come into Rupp Arena and we've wondered if the Wildcats would be upset again.

While an upset can always occur, I no longer want to go into a game thinking it might.

Hoosier Red
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM

I hear that WMR. The late 90's showed Kentucky teams that could run even decent squads out of the gym. I remember going to Freedom Hall my freshman year at IU and just seeing UK wipe the floor with an IU squad that made the tournament. I look forward to IU hopefully not being blown out by average teams.

dabvu2498
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
So tbk eliminated their free message boards? Part of my daily internet humor hour will now have to be replaced. :D

WMR
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Fab Melo chose Syracuse. Punch to the gut for Louisville fans.

WVRed
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
For those who haven't been in the loop, Tobias Harris visited UK today with his father. Gonna need to make up a lot of ground in order to land his services, but I believe it can be done.

This was supposed to be "classified information", but since Dustin Rumbaugh got his "source" from TBK and posted it on KSR, it should be pretty much public.

WVRed
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Fab Melo chose Syracuse. Punch to the gut for Louisville fans.

Syracuse could end up with a pretty nice haul. They are supposedly in the thick of it for Harris as well.

WVRed
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
On a semi-interesting note, if you need any more proof as to what KSR's audience is, consider that Tucker Max is going to be on one of the live blogs later this month.

dabvu2498
08-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Former UK commit Dominique Ferguson has selected... Florida International! Kid must have a soft spot for dysfunctional coaches.

WMR
08-08-2009, 10:30 AM
not sure if you're aware or no, dab, but tbk has apparently re-opened their free board.

dabvu2498
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and immediately another nerd war ensues.

Scrap Irony
08-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Jesus, Marc Maggard is a putz. He's arrogant and condescending as well, but, most of all, he's just a putz.

On another note, both Patterson and Orton are back from San Francisco and apparently seriousy buff. Good to see Orton had no ill effects from his knee. Scuttlebutt around campus is that Cousins is supremely talented and no one could handle him with Patterson and Orton gone. Could shoot too, especially as a trailer on the fast break.

I still think the starting lineup is going to be Wall, Bledsoe, Patterson, Cousins, and Orton. Miller will be the sixth man, with Stevenson, Liggins, Hood, and Dodson all playing between 10-15 mpg. (Miller would probably play quite a bit more than that, perhaps as much as 25 mpg, depending on freshmen mistakes and foul trouble, which could be a huge bugaboo for this team.)

Regardless, it should be nice to see that deep a bench on the sideline for Calipari.

WMR
08-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't see Cal going with his top 3 posts in the DDMO. 2 is going to push it plenty. 3 would unnecessarily slow down the offense and the team. Plus none of those 3 could guard an elite SF.

I think you'll see
Wall
Bledsoe
Miller
Cousins
Patterson

Orton will be first man off the bench and will absolutely destroy other team's second units.

These Cats are going to run run run.

WMR
08-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I think coach will have Bledsoe and Wall start together... he will then sub out Bledsoe for Dodson probably to give Bledsoe a breather. Then he will sub Bledsoe in for Wall to give Wall a breather and let Bledsoe run the show for awhile.

He may employ a similar strategy with Patterson, Cousins, and Orton.

dabvu2498
08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I think Cal will find ways to get his best players on the court at the same time. And get the ball in those players' hands. That is how the ddm was born in the first place... for teams that didn't have great back to the basket players. There are certainly ways to utlize post men in the offense in ways that weren't used at Memphis.

WVRed
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Jesus, Marc Maggard is a putz. He's arrogant and condescending as well, but, most of all, he's just a putz.

If what Dustin is being accused of doing is factual (and it wouldn't surprise me in the least), then I think it would be in the best interests of Rivals and Scout to file a cease and desist. Once other UK fans find out that somebody is taking the information they are paying money for, they will likely lose subscriptions.

That being said, Marc is not helping matters any by declaring TBK a "no Matt Jones zone" and then posting three topics dealing with one of Matt's bloggers.

Both sides are equally at fault. Dustin is likely passing off the information as something that he did while Marc is crying for a witch hunt on something that has nothing to do with him. What's worse is I think KSR is handling it well by Dustin not addressing it and only a one entry piece by MJ.

WMR
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
John Wall dunks ALL OVER Jerry Stackhouse!!!!111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UpQl18OOM

dabvu2498
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM
That may well be the last time we see Stackhouse playing basketball.

Scrap Irony
08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
If what Dustin is being accused of doing is factual (and it wouldn't surprise me in the least), then I think it would be in the best interests of Rivals and Scout to file a cease and desist. Once other UK fans find out that somebody is taking the information they are paying money for, they will likely lose subscriptions.

That being said, Marc is not helping matters any by declaring TBK a "no Matt Jones zone" and then posting three topics dealing with one of Matt's bloggers.

Both sides are equally at fault. Dustin is likely passing off the information as something that he did while Marc is crying for a witch hunt on something that has nothing to do with him. What's worse is I think KSR is handling it well by Dustin not addressing it and only a one entry piece by MJ.

What he's done, WV, is take quotes from another reporter's interview, something Red reporters (and hundreds of other journalists) do all the time. He wasn't at the scene, but he doesn't say he was at the scene either.

This is a fine line, true, and perhaps using those quotes from a premium article to write another, free article is... dodgy. I guess. But I don't get the whole up in arms thing. SI does it all the time. So does Fox Sports and ESPN. The only two problems with it are not citing sources and using premium information.

WVRed
08-09-2009, 12:05 AM
What he's done, WV, is take quotes from another reporter's interview, something Red reporters (and hundreds of other journalists) do all the time. He wasn't at the scene, but he doesn't say he was at the scene either.

This is a fine line, true, and perhaps using those quotes from a premium article to write another, free article is... dodgy. I guess. But I don't get the whole up in arms thing. SI does it all the time. So does Fox Sports and ESPN. The only two problems with it are not citing sources and using premium information.

It depends though. Does Red Reporter take premium information from sources such as Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus? If thats the case, it would be similar to what Dustin Rumbaugh is doing over at KSR.

Now if it were from the DDN, Enquirer, or any other editorial that was free to the public, I could see a difference.

I'm not up in arms over any of it. If I were Marc, I would just sit back and let Rivals and Scout take up for themselves and stay out of it. Starting three threads to call Dustin a hack is only going to generate more interest in KSR, especially when they have done a much better job of handling the situation.

WMR
08-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Plagiarizing premium info from other sites is wrong any way you slice it.

WVRed
08-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Plagiarizing premium info from other sites is wrong any way you slice it.

It is, and I don't disagree with that. And Dustin will get what is coming to him. That being said, I think Marc is doing way more harm than good by calling him out, especially when you declare three months ago that TBK is a "No Matt Jones Zone" (or any of his lackeys).

I think if I were Matt, I would be sending Marc a thank you card for giving KSR such promotion on his site. Either way, it has made for a pretty funny nerd fight.

WMR
08-09-2009, 12:20 AM
It is, and I don't disagree with that. And Dustin will get what is coming to him. That being said, I think Marc is doing way more harm than good by calling him out, especially when you declare three months ago that TBK is a "No Matt Jones Zone" (or any of his lackeys).

I think if I were Matt, I would be sending Marc a thank you card for giving KSR such promotion on his site. Either way, it has made for a pretty funny nerd fight.

Yeah it's all retarded.

Dustin will get in serious trouble for what he's doing eventually. Scout and Rivals don't like it when people can read for free what they spend their money on gathering and bringing to their subscribers.

WMR
08-09-2009, 12:22 AM
It depends though. Does Red Reporter take premium information from sources such as Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus? If thats the case, it would be similar to what Dustin Rumbaugh is doing over at KSR.

Exactly. That would be illegal and what Dustin is doing is illegal as well. Hardly comparable to the average reporter using a quote that's available to everyone.

WVRed
08-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah it's all retarded.

Dustin will get in serious trouble for what he's doing eventually. Scout and Rivals don't like it when people can read for free what they spend their money on gathering and bringing to their subscribers.

My question is are you upholding Marc still when it comes to how he has handled it on TBK?

I'll make the same prediction here that I made on TBK. Once Dustin falls, I believe Matt will distance himself from him at all costs. MJ is an attorney and obviously knows the system. Once it happens, you will see Dustin being let go due to "differences of opinion" or whatever.

WMR
08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
My question is are you upholding Marc still when it comes to how he has handled it on TBK?

I'll make the same prediction here that I made on TBK. Once Dustin falls, I believe Matt will distance himself from him at all costs. MJ is an attorney and obviously knows the system. Once it happens, you will see Dustin being let go due to "differences of opinion" or whatever.

Hmmm... nah, not really. I mean, setting aside the humor factor that I take away from all this stupid squabbling...

I do think Marc is "in the right" concerning his issues with KSR and Jones but he has damaged his own reputation somewhat by the way he has crusaded against Dustin here recently.

dabvu2498
08-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Is the material at Scout or Rivals copyrighted? If so, Dustin could be in some trouble. If not, it is free game, even if it is not "free." If Dustin did his own interviews, as Jones implies, Maggard is very close to libel.

WMR
08-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Is the material at Scout or Rivals copyrighted? If so, Dustin could be in some trouble. If not, it is free game, even if it is not "free." If Dustin did his own interviews, as Jones implies, Maggard is very close to libel.

I would assume that Rivals, Scout, or any other service that provides premium content would copyright all premium materials generated by the sweat of their employees and intended for their subscribers. Why wouldn't you?

Even if it were perfectly legal, it's still ethically wrong and not something that you would imagine someone who evidently wants a career in sports journalism/scouting would ever contemplate doing. Good way to earn yourself a blacklist, I'd imagine.

dabvu2498
08-09-2009, 01:05 AM
NM

dabvu2498
08-09-2009, 01:09 AM
I would assume that Rivals, Scout, or any other service that provides premium content would copyright all premium materials generated by the sweat of their employees and intended for their subscribers. Why wouldn't you? Even if it were perfectly legal, it's still ethically wrong and not something that you would imagine someone who evidently wants a career in sports journalism/scouting would ever contemplate doing. Good way to earn yourself a blacklist, I'd imagine. tbk isn't copyrighted. ;)

WMR
08-09-2009, 01:15 AM
tbk isn't copyrighted. ;)

:D You love that site so, so much.

dabvu2498
08-09-2009, 01:17 AM
:D You love that site so, so much. Like a case of herpes.

WMR
08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I bet you missed going there the couple days they took down the free board. :D

dabvu2498
08-09-2009, 01:23 AM
I bet you missed going there the couples day they took down the free board. :D My life was much simpler. Fewer youtube videos and threads comparing John Wall to Santa Claus.

WMR
08-09-2009, 01:29 AM
My life was much simpler. Fewer youtube videos and threads comparing John Wall to Santa Claus.

:lol:

I think someone said Midnight Madness is like 68 days away or something.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2009, 08:01 AM
John Wall dunks ALL OVER Jerry Stackhouse!!!!111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UpQl18OOM

Who was that guarding Wall? Whoever it was he left a little lingerie on the floor! :D

BRM
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
My life was much simpler. Fewer youtube videos and threads comparing John Wall to Santa Claus.

Thanks for the laugh!

cumberlandreds
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM

He's much quicker than Santa Claus! Santa's a little on the old and fat side of things these days. :)

dabvu2498
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
:lol: Thanks for the laugh! I aim to please.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Who was that guarding Wall? Whoever it was he left a little lingerie on the floor! :D

I'll answer my own question here. The player who left his lingerie on the floor is Reggie Bullock. He's a UNC recruit for 2010.

WVRed
08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
No Christmas for UK. Rakeem Christmas trimmed his list to eight per scout.com and UK didn't make it.

Christmas, who is transferring to Bryn Athyn (Pa.) Academy of the New Church, is now considering Baylor, Florida, Georgetown, Indiana, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Villanova.

I'm going to guess and say he goes to Florida.

Scrap Irony
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Obviously, Calipari and the Cats didn't want him. Probably didn't even offer him. ;)

WVRed
08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
IIRC, Gilchrist, Christmas, and Johnny O'Bryant were considered three top UK recruits for 2011.

Brooks Hansen, who is a writer for MemphisROAR, had suggested that it would be down to UK and Florida.

See what happens when Cal goes to China. Will Barton picks Memphis and now we aren't in the mix for Christmas anymore. :(

WMR
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
NEW JOHN WALL

Holla atcha boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6AR1LUxhZo

BRM
08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Obviously, Calipari and the Cats didn't want him. Probably didn't even offer him. ;)

No doubt. NO ONE rejects Calipari so he must have passed on the kid.

WMR
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM

It's going to be so much fun watching IU get beaten to a pulp by the Cats. :D

BRM
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
It's going to be so much fun watching IU get beaten to a pulp by the Cats. :D

Shouldn't be too hard seeing as how they are likely to start at least 4 freshmen.

WMR
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Shouldn't be too hard seeing as how they are likely to start at least 4 freshmen.

So what, we'll be starting 3 of them. :D

BRM
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
So what, we'll be starting 3 of them. :D

With quite a bit of experience from the other 2 spots. The Hoosiers will have a very inexperienced squad.

WMR
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
BEST POINT GUARD IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL

http://blog.themavenreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/john_wall_575.jpg

Possibly consensus best player in the nation after this season.

BRM
08-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Has he played college ball yet?

WMR
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah he's already played five games. Jeez dude try to keep up. :rolleyes:

Do you really need me to go through and explain how the first statement is an opinion and the second is a prediction? Or are you just being a smart*** as usual? :D

BRM
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Really? I didn't think the season started until November. That's awesome.

WMR
08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.chick-fil-aclassic.com/images/DanielOrton.jpg

Absolutely cannot wait to see what this kid can do on the court.

Reports from San Fran are that he is looking positively beastly since working out in California with PPatt.

WMR
08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Perhaps my personal biggest question mark concerning an individual player involves Darnell Dodson. PITT recruited him as a dead-eye shooter and some have speculated that he would be a top 30 player if he was in the 2009 class.

http://www.i95ballerz.com/darnell%20dodson%202.jpg

WVRed
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Not that this is really news, but Shoeless Joe Jackson eliminated UK and is down to Kansas, Memphis, and Tennessee. My pick is Memphis.

Kyrie Irving is down to Indiana and Duke as well. I would hate to see Duke end up with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving. That being said, they are due a good class soon.

I'd say UK is going to be down to either Brandon Knight or Josh Selby.

WVRed
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
[img]

Absolutely cannot wait to see what this kid can do on the court.

Reports from San Fran are that he is looking positively beastly since working out in California with PPatt.

I think a Cousins-Orton battle for minutes will only help UK in the long run. I think Orton will push Cousins to become a better player or Cousins will self destruct. How that works out will ultimately impact how UK does this season.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
NEW JOHN WALL

Holla atcha boy!

Wonder if the NCAA will like his little promo for hoopmixtape.com?

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:14 PM
As long as he didn't accept payment for it they'll like it fine, I'd imagine.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
As long as he didn't accept payment for it they'll like it fine, I'd imagine.

Oh, but you don't have to accept payment... Or even be aware they're using your image. You should know that!!! :)

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/catsfan/2009/06/darius-miller-and-ncaa.html

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Appearing on a flier for a basketball camp is the same as cutting a promo for a free website?

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Appearing on a flier for a basketball camp is the same as cutting a promo for a free website?

They have ads. Someone is profiting from hoopmixtape.com

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
They have ads. Someone is profiting from hoopmixtape.com

Possibly but that's a pretty tenuous argument, IMO.

I can see the promotional flier as a clear bright line situation for the NCAA. I don't think what Wall said rises anywhere close to that level.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Possibly but that's a pretty tenuous argument, IMO.

I can see the promotional flier as a clear bright line situation for the NCAA. I don't think what Wall said rises anywhere close to that level.

I still would think the university would have to self-report it.

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I still would think the university would have to self-report it.

I dunno... I'm sure it will happen if it is an actual violation (which I doubt).

Everything UK does is under an intense microscope.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
From the 09-10 NCAA D1 Manual:

12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete. After becoming a
student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:
(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend
or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind; or
(b) Receives remuneration for endorsing a commercial product or service through the individual’s use of such
product or service.

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Well he definitely didn't recommend anything and I didn't hear any direct promotion either. :)

You should keep playing Detective though. Hell, you might even be able to get a paycheck out of it from Bruce Pearl. :laugh:

WVRed
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Apparently he nixed UK due to style of play, which I can see. Rugged big men are going to get lost in Cal's system, which is why you won't see a Josh Smith commitment anytime soon.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Well he definitely didn't recommend anything and I didn't hear any direct promotion either. :)

You should keep playing Detective though. Hell, you might even be able to get a paycheck out of it from Bruce Pearl. :laugh:

You'd be all over it if AJ Ogilvy was on youtube talking about how much he loved Vegemite.

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Now if he said, "This is John Wall and I LOVEEE going to hoops mix tape dot com for all my basketball highlight watching needs" you might have a case.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Now if he said, "This is John Wall and I LOVEEE going to hoops mix tape dot com for all my basketball highlight watching needs" you might have a case.

I'd say the NCAA will think it's close enough to "promotion," knowing them.

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
You'd be all over it if AJ Ogilvy was on youtube talking about how much he loved Vegemite.

I love that big, dumb-looking Aussie. :D

Did John say that he loves hoops mix tape dot com?

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd say the NCAA will think it's close enough to "promotion," knowing them.

Yeah you can never tell anything with them. The NCAA is the screwiest of all screwball organizations.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM

I love that big, dumb-looking Aussie. :D

Did John say that he loves hoops mix tape dot com?

All I could decipher was "John Wall" and "hoopsmixtapedotcom."

Appearantly he skipped speech class to attend the NC pro-am.

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
All I could decipher was "John Wall" and "hoopsmixtapedotcom."

Appearantly he skipped speech class to attend the NC pro-am.

:spit: :lol: :laugh:

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Upon further review he said "This is John Wall and you're watching hoopmixtape.com."

So it would be ok for AJ Ogilvy to do a spot saying "This is AJ Ogilvy and you're eating Vegemite," so long as he didn't get paid for it?

WMR
08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Upon further review he said "This is John Wall and you're watching hoopmixtape.com."

So it would be ok for AJ Ogilvy to do a spot saying "This is AJ Ogilvy and you're eating Vegemite," so long as he didn't get paid for it?

:laugh: You're just angling to get AJ a Vegemite contract post-Vandy aren't you. :D

I dunno... here's the thing, if you're hearing John say those words, you're already watching the video. How could John saying those words be construed as an attempt to get people to peruse your content if they've already made the necessary mouse clicks to see the video in the first place?

If you were in a restaurant and AJ stopped by your table and made that observation would it be an NCAA violation?

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
:laugh: You're just angling to get AJ a Vegemite contract post-Vandy aren't you. :D

I dunno... here's the thing, if you're hearing John say those words, you're already watching the video. How could John saying those words be construed as an attempt to get people to peruse your content if they've already made the necessary mouse clicks to see the video in the first place?

If you were in a restaurant and AJ stopped by your table and made that observation would it be an NCAA violation?

But if it's linked at other sites, you may see the Wall video and think, "Ohhh wow! Maybe I can go see other videos of guys dunking in a layup line at their site!!!" So you go to their site... Thus... promotion!!!

And to your last question, heck yes it is!!!

WMR
08-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Where's the money being made? Back to the nebulous part of your argument. There's no provable causality between John's little blurb and any money that HMT might make from people watching their vids and no bright line rule against what he said in the context that he said it. Maybe if the NCAA makes a few dozen new rules they can stamp out such lawlessness in the future.

AJ stops by your table as he's leaving a restaurant that he isn't affiliated with. "I'm AJ Ogilvy and you're eating vegemite." Not a violation.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Where's the money being made? Back to the nebulous part of your argument.

AJ stops by your table as he's leaving a restaurant that he isn't affiliated with. "I'm AJ Ogilvy and you're eating vegemite." Not a violation.

The money's being made, through ads, by the owners of hoopsmixtape.com.

Your Ogilvy comp would be a violation if he had been asked to do so by a restaurant employee, as I'm sure Wall was asked to do by the cameraman in the video.

WMR
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
You missed my edit...There's no provable causality between John's little blurb and any money that HMT might make from people watching their vids and no bright line rule against what he said in the context that he said it. Maybe if the NCAA makes a few dozen new rules they can stamp out such lawlessness in the future.

Nah still don't see it. There's no violation here nor would there be if AJ told a stranger he's eating vegemite. There's no endorsement there, although I'm sure Stallings would love there to be. :D

BRM
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Ogilvy uses Vegemite? Sweet!

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
You missed my edit...There's no provable causality between John's little blurb and any money that HMT might make from people watching their vids and no bright line rule against what he said in the context that he said it. Maybe if the NCAA makes a few dozen new rules they can stamp out such lawlessness in the future.

Nah still don't see it. There's no violation here nor would there be if AJ told a stranger he's eating vegemite. There's no endorsement there, although I'm sure Stallings would love there to be. :D

pro·mo·tion
n.
1. The act of promoting or the fact of being promoted; advancement.
2. Encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something; furtherance.
3. Advertising; publicity.

Who said anything about "provable causality?" Can TV networks prove they increase viewership with the little promo spots they do coming back from commercial breaks? Doubt it.

This is all a moot point anyway. Sandy Bell has been emailed. ;)

WMR
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Ogilvy uses Vegemite? Sweet!

I think Dab might've just cost AJ his eligibility. :(

WMR
08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
You must have missed the "DIRECTLY" portion of those NCAA rules that immediately follows promotion in your haste to grab your copy of merriam-webster.

Still see no direct promotion in John Wall saying that you're watching hoops mix tape dot com. And your earlier argument is moot as well because even if the vid is linked off site, it clearly states and is even imprinted on the workprint of the video that the video originates from hmt.com.

Believe what you want, you're not going to change my mind on this issue and I'm done arguing with you about it. :lol:

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Just sayin... You won't hear "This is Patrick Patterson and you're watching channel 27." Those little interludes are called promos for a reason. And that's the kind of petty stuff you have to watch out for. That and trespassing.

Scrap Irony
08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Good call, dab. I would think that could be something the NCAA, in all their wisdom, would keep Wall out for a game or two. Perhaps more.

Of course, that's one of the reasons the NCAA should be abolished, but that's the topic of another thread.

Hoosier Red
08-12-2009, 09:02 AM

There's no proveable causality between Matt Leinart saying up next on Sportscenter... and people watching Sportscenter. But did the NCAA ever go through with the suspension on that or did they just threaten?

Puffy
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

If I said that I'd be accused of trolling again - so thanks for hooking a brother up!!

:thumbup:

Puffy
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Good call, dab. I would think that could be something the NCAA, in all their wisdom, would keep Wall out for a game or two. Perhaps more.

Of course, that's one of the reasons the NCAA should be abolished, but that's the topic of another thread.

The NCAA is a joke (as a governing board). You honestly never know when they will take offense at something.

That said, I don't see what Wall did as a violation. What the NCAA gets out of that I have no idea though.

dabvu2498
08-15-2009, 02:40 PM
AJ Stewart is transferring to Texas State, allegedly.

dsmith421
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
The NCAA is a joke (as a governing board). You honestly never know when they will take offense at something.

That said, I don't see what Wall did as a violation. What the NCAA gets out of that I have no idea though.

The NCAA is so pissed they'll put EKU on probation.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
UK will be on ESPN's Super Tuesday four times this season. UK will release the rest of their schedule after ESPN releases all of theirs this Thursday. Calipari had said he wanted to release it via TV program.

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/

WMR
08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
The Big Blue Machine is picking up steam!! :D

dabvu2498
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
No love for the SEC West on "Super Tuesday."

WMR
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
No love for the SEC West on "Super Tuesday."

Who do you think will win the West this year?

LSU should be good ... Just saw where it appears that Renardo Sidney has been cleared to play by the NCAA.

Guess MSU will be the popular pick.

dabvu2498
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

LSU should be good ... Just saw where it appears that Renardo Sidney has been cleared to play by the NCAA.

All of them will be kinda so-so I think. Lots of 18-20 win teams in that division, with maybe the exception of Arkansas and Auburn. I think they'll stink.

If I had to pick a winner, I'd say MSU, as much as I hate to.

WVRed
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM

LSU is losing a lot of players from that team. How Trent Johnson, who is IMO one of the best in-game coaches in the SEC, does recruiting will determine how far LSU goes during his tenure there.

Out of curiosity, was John Riek declared eligible as well? If Stansbury can keep Riek, Sidney, and Varnardo happy, MSU could be the team to beat in the SEC West.

WVRed
08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
per KSR, the schedule will be released Thursday night at 10:00 PM on the Big Blue Network.

Scrap Irony
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I think MSU is a Top 10-15 team this year and a good bet to play late into the year, possibly Final Four. Adding Riek (at C) to Vanardo at PF (or C) means no one scores on anything other than dunks and threes. Four guys return with double figure scoring and those four are all experienced. Everybody rebounds. Everybody's tough defensively. Great coaching. (Stansbury may be the second-best coach in the SEC and is certainly among the most underrated in the nation.)

Adding Sidney means another dynamic scorer and no holes, plus two seriously talented reserves.

LSU has a ton of questions. And, while Tasmin Mitchell is among the better players in the SEC, he's all they got. LSU is UK circa 2009 with a better coach, IMO. They'll be lucky to win 20 and make the NCAA.

George Foster
08-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Stansbury was my pick to take over the Cats if Cal did not work out. He IS the most underrated coach in the SEC. Imagine trying to recruit to Miss St.?

He is also a Kentucky boy.

If Stansbury's has a good year this year...sweetsixteen....look for him to get a chance at a big time program.

If I could buy stock in people and future success...Stansbury is a BUY.

Scrap Irony
08-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see Stansbury at a big-time Division I program. I thought he might bolt for USC, but the guy seems to be seriously loyal to Starksville.

WVRed
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Stansbury was my pick to take over the Cats if Cal did not work out. He IS the most underrated coach in the SEC. Imagine trying to recruit to Miss St.?

I like Stansbury, but he would have been another Billy Clyde minus the embarrassments.

Just because they can recruit to the small schools doesn't necessarily translate at the next level. I don't think Stansbury would walk in and recruit top level talent at UK the same way Gillispie didn't.

Scrap Irony
08-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't think Stansbury would walk in and recruit top level talent at UK the same way Gillispie didn't.

While the double negatives make this fairly hard to decipher, I'm assuming you're saying he couldn't recruit at Kentucky, correct? If so, John Reik and Renardo Sidney disagree.

If he could recruit anyone to Starkville, he can recruit anyone. Period.

improbus
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM
It looks like Memphis is going to have to vacate its wins from their National Runner-up season. I am totally on board for the John Calipari era, but know that I have my fingers crossed. Cal may not be any more crooked than anyone else, but he certainly gets more scrutiny than others and couple that w/ UK's history and prestige level, we have a spotlight on us.

joshnky
08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
It looks like Memphis is going to have to vacate its wins from their National Runner-up season.

More than anything else, I think this shows the danger associated with top recruits. If the school doesn't do its due diligence, these top players could deliver temporary glory before destroying the program after they leave. UNC and Duke have managed to recruit top players without issue so it can be done. However, this is where the next tier schools like Memphis have to be careful (ala Cincy with Stephenson).

Hoosier Red
08-20-2009, 09:17 AM
"That's all right, that's okay, You'll vacate this win someday!"

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 10:50 AM
"That's all right, that's okay, You'll vacate this win someday!" That is pretty funny. As to Stansbury, in reality his teams have underachieved. He has always gotten solid talent there. They have just never really put it all the way together.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
UNC and Duke have managed to recruit top players without issue so it can be done.

[cough] Corey Maggette, William Avery [\cough, cough]

[cough] NCAA cash cow [\cough, cough]

[cough] Coach K is John Wooden's long-lost bastard child.[\cough, cough]

;)

Hoosier Red
08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
[cough] Corey Maggette, William Avery [\cough, cough]

[cough] NCAA cash cow [\cough, cough]

[cough] Coach K is John Wooden's long-lost bastard child.[\cough, cough]

;)

I always find it funny that people perceive the NCAA as biased towards Duke because it's the "cash cow" when the NCAA has been stringent on a number of programs like UK, UCLA, and IU which could also be considered cash cows.

I do agree though Coach K skates by with his reputation better than anyone I know.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a major problem with K's American Express ads. They are a clear infraction of NCAA rules, yet the NCAA does nothing to curb it. Too, both Magette and Avery claimed they cheated in interviews while at Duke, yet the NCAA somehow found no evidence of cheating going on in the institution?

I think there's a clear double standard when it comes to Duke. The NCAA has become complicit simply because they hold Duke up as the Gold Standard of a member institution.

But, then again, I could be extremely biased and unable to see it clearly.

WMR
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Who gave Derrick Rose their seal of approval and deemed him 'eligible' for college athletics?

Hmmm... well, in that case, Memphis had to be complicit in helping DRose cheat on his test and the NCAA must have proof of that. Nope?

Hmmm... :rolleyes: How's that USC investigation coming along? Don't hear much about Darrel Arthur these days either.

Hoosier Red
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a major problem with K's American Express ads. They are a clear infraction of NCAA rules, yet the NCAA does nothing to curb it. Too, both Magette and Avery claimed they cheated in interviews while at Duke, yet the NCAA somehow found no evidence of cheating going on in the institution?

I think there's a clear double standard when it comes to Duke. The NCAA has become complicit simply because they hold Duke up as the Gold Standard of a member institution.

But, then again, I could be extremely biased and unable to see it clearly.

I think its a little of both Scrap. I think Duke does seem to get away with a bunch, but I also think its overstated.

To be honest I'm not real up on the NCAA rule book, but what's the violation in the AMEX ads? Does it involve Duke players?

cumberlandreds
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Here's the ESPN schedule of UK SEC games. Fourteen of the sixteen SEC games will be on one of the ESPN family of networks. The other two are likely to be on CBS.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090820/SPORTS03/908200378/1029/UK+s+SEC+basketball+games+on+ESPN+set

cumberlandreds
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Here is the full schedule.

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/902502.html

joshnky
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I should have known posting anything about Duke would rile up the UK fans.

If only UK could play by the same rules as Duke and USC. They would likely have 20 championships by now.

Everyone is free to their opinions but the whole "NCAA is out to get UK but loves Duke" thing gets a little old.

redsfanmia
08-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I should have known posting anything about Duke would rile up the UK fans.

If only UK could play by the same rules as Duke and USC. They would likely have 20 championships by now.

Everyone is free to their opinions but the whole "NCAA is out to get UK but loves Duke" thing gets a little old.

The NCAA also looked the other way with UCLA in the Wooden Era.....Wooden gets a pass for Sam Gilbert IMO.

WMR
08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Memphis should sue the NCAA.

How they are getting the blame for this and not the people who cleared Rose to play is beyond idiotic.

Here's a nice post from another forum...

This decision is just baffling.

1st. How can a College be held responsible for something that happened outside its reach? Was the SAT taken at UM? Was there UM people there arranging the place or time he took the SAT. Did people from UM take him to the place it was held at? If none of these are true, then how can you blame UM?

2nd. How does a University know if a player is clean and eligible to play? Does the NCAA clearinghouse not do this? They are the ones that look over transcripts, SAT scores and so forth correct? They are the ones that tell you its a Go or a No correct? So how is ANY university supposed to know now if a player is good or not. Did the NCAA clearinghouse say Rose was good to play? Or did they say "Well play him, and we will get back to you" Of course not. They said he was good to Go, else UM would not play him. So going forward...How is any college supposed to know if a player is clear or not. How are they supposed to know if a kid cheated outside of the control of any college. Why is UM to blame for something the Clearinghouse messed up on.

3rd. Who administered the SAT. What type of security protocol did they use. Why was someone able to take such an official test as someone else. Could UM turn around and Sue the firm that issued the test for damages because of there lax security in allowing someone other than Rose to take the test.

In this society we are always wanting someone to blame, someone to point a finger at and say "You messed up". Accountability is a must, someone has to pay. To me from what information has been released. Rose cheated on his SAT test outside the institutional control of UM, The NCAA clearinghouse accepted the SAT score and cleared him to play, UM took the Clearinghouses clearance and played a cleared player. What did UM do wrong. Now, the finger is being pointed at UM and Coach Cal....When it should be pointed at Mr. Rose, The firm/company/school that issued the SAT test, and the NCAA for clearing him to play. And you call this justice? NCAA needs to be investigated big time and needs a complete and utter overhaul on how these things are handled. I also firmly believe that there should be official NCAA SAT offices for athletes to go and take the test. With a lot more security and accountability. Things like this should never happen.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
john,

Not a UK fan. I just don't like Duke. At all. They cheat, yet don't get caught. It happened (as WMR stated) in the 70's at UCLA.

As to the AMEX commercial, K is allowed access to recruits with his whole Duke-is-special spiel. This is a clear advantage other teams and coaches do not have. It is available to prospective student-athletes during dead periods.

WMR
08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Exactly. What's the wording on that K commercial? Here at DOOK we take as much pride developing character off the court as we do on it blah blah blah. Basically their own 'Join the Army' propaganda campaign except with basketball players.

Reds4Life
08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Calipari is now the only coach in NCAA history to have two final 4 appearances vacated.

But, nothing going there, just 100% coincidence.......happening twice and all.

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Exactly. What's the wording on that K commercial? Here at DOOK we take as much pride developing character off the court as we do on it blah blah blah. Basically their own 'Join the Army' propaganda campaign except with basketball players. All coaches can and do do this. Hell, Charlie Coles has an ad where he talks about hard work and discipline and yadayada on behalf of some local car dealership. Only difference is Amex's production dollar and a nationwide ad campaign. Cal already has ads on local TV, doesn't he?

WVRed
08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I think Tucker Max put it best today on KSR's live blog.

I look at Calipari like I look at a really hot girl I meet out: I don't want to know about her past, because all I care about is her future, and that future with me. Selfish maybe, but I don't care. I want our swagger back

guttle11
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Calipari is now the only coach in NCAA history to have two final 4 appearances vacated.

But, nothing going there, just 100% coincidence.......happening twice and all.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on someone else.

guttle11
08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Memphis should sue the NCAA.

How they are getting the blame for this and not the people who cleared Rose to play is beyond idiotic.

Here's a nice post from another forum...

If the allegations that someone took the test for Rose are true, and they have to be in the NCAAs mind for wins to be vacated, then Rose has to be ineligible.

If you play an ineligible player, no matter who is at fault, all wins are vacated. That's not a lawsuit you can win.

WMR
08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
OSU and Bearcat fans trying to look down their noses at Cal and/or UK = Hilarity and Hypocrisy all rolled into one.

(And a lot of long-time hurt feelings from the Bearcat fans ... thank God they got away from CUSA and mean ole Memphis. :lol: )

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
I think Tucker Max put it best today on KSR's live blog. But that woman may want to adopt kids who will bring shame on your house. She has already done it twice, afterall. Though she, herself, has not gotten in any trouble. It is not only selfish, it's foolish.

WMR
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
But that woman may want to adopt kids who will bring shame on your house. She has already done it twice, afterall. Though she, herself, has not gotten in any trouble. It is not only selfish, it's foolish.

You're better than that.

Cal isn't at a mid-major any longer that will take chances on compliance. Keep talking the man down, however. Keep it classy.

WMR
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Anyone who has done more than 5 minutes of research on what happened at UMASS would realize how utterly lame and preposterous it is to ascribe ONE IOTA of blame on John Calipari. It sure is fun to call him a sleazeball though, especially since he's now at big bad Kentucky.

Do some research.

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
You're better than that. Cal isn't at a mid-major any longer that will take chances on compliance. Keep talking the man down, however. Keep it classy. Defensive much? So you admit Cal "took chances" with compliance at previous stops? I thought Cal's reputation was pure as the driven snow.

joshnky
08-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Anyone who has done more than 5 minutes of research on what happened at UMASS would realize how utterly lame and preposterous it is to ascribe ONE IOTA of blame on John Calipari. It sure is fun to call him a sleazeball though, especially since he's now at big bad Kentucky.

Do some research.

Just one point, I thought Cal was a sleazeball at Memphis, too.

Now, while I'll admit that I probably don't know as much about Cal's life history as you, I do have an honest question. In this era of coaches knowing every single thing about their players, even to the extent of hiring assistants to follow their troubled stars around (ala UofL and Caracter), does it seem unreasonable to express some skepticism that Cal knew nothing in either case? My point is not to bash Cal (he has been cleared by the NCAA) but just to point out why I believe many people are now suspicious of Calipari.

I think it is within the realm of possibility that at some point during those two final four runs he might have heard a rumor about Rose cheating on the SAT or Camby talking with an agent. Players, especially these two, are stupid and arrogant and I can't see them keeping this a secret. If he did hear about it, he was obligated to investigate it further, regardless of whether he was at fault or whether the NCAA had already cleared a player.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Defensive much? So you admit Cal "took chances" with compliance at previous stops? I thought Cal's reputation was pure as the driven snow.

No, I'm saying definitively that that won't happen at UK.

If the NCAA tells you a kid is eligible, what are you supposed to do, not play him?

And how exactly is a coach supposed to babysit an athlete 24 hours a day to make sure he has no bad influences pouring poison into his ear like with Marcus Camby?

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Anyone who has done more than 5 minutes of research on what happened at UMASS would realize how utterly lame and preposterous it is to ascribe ONE IOTA of blame on John Calipari. It sure is fun to call him a sleazeball though, especially since he's now at big bad Kentucky. Do some research. Except for the part where he played a kid who was taking money from any agent, you're right. But of course he had no way of knowing Canby was getting paid, I know, I know.

Reds4Life
08-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Do some research.

He is a sleezeball. He was before he got to UK, and probably will continue to be one. He's had 2 final fours vacated, only coach ever to have done so. Your argument is he knew nothing, which on its face is laughable considering it's happened TWICE now at separate programs. What is the common factor in that equation? But lets assume it's true, for a moment. Then it means he's incompetent to run a program, and now two separate universities have paid the price for it.

I give him 3 years before UK is being investigated. If he wins anything, better take a picture of the banner quickly, because so far he's 0-2 for those banners standing up to NCAA investigations.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Just one point, I thought Cal was a sleazeball at Memphis, too.

Now, while I'll admit that I probably don't know as much about Cal's life history as you, I do have an honest question. In this era of coaches knowing every single thing about their players, even to the extent of hiring assistants to follow their troubled stars around (ala UofL and Caracter), does it seem unreasonable to express some skepticism that Cal knew nothing in either case? My point is not to bash Cal (he has been cleared by the NCAA) but just to point out why I believe many people are now suspicious of Calipari.

I think it is within the realm of possibility that at some point during those two final four runs he might have heard a rumor about Rose cheating on the SAT or Camby talking with an agent. Players, especially these two, are stupid and arrogant and I can't see them keeping this a secret.

It's impossible to prove something didn't happen just like it's impossible to prove you DON'T or DIDN'T know something...

All I am going on is the evidence that has been presented.

Is there an inherent sleaziness to the entire college basketball recruiting machine? Probably so.

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
No, I'm saying definitively that that won't happen at UK. If the NCAA tells you a kid is eligible, what are you supposed to do, not play him? And how exactly is a coach supposed to babysit an athlete 24 hours a day to make sure he has no bad influences pouring poison into his ear like with Marcus Camby? You don't bring in kids who are even capable of cheating on the SAT or who will fall under the influence of an agent. And if you tell me he won't need to do that at UK , I may barf.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
He is a sleezeball. He was before he got to UK, and probably will continue to be one. He's had 2 final fours vacated, only coach ever to have done so. Your argument is he knew nothing, which on its face is laughable considering it's happened TWICE now at separate programs. What is the common factor in that equation? But lets assume it's true, for a moment. Then it means he's incompetent to run a program, and now two separate universities have paid the price for it.

I give him 3 years before UK is being investigated. If he wins anything, better take a picture of the banner quickly, because so far he's 0-2 for those banners standing up to NCAA investigations.

Two situations that are nothing at all alike, but please just go ahead and lump them together in your zest to formulate an argument against dastardly Cal.

cincrazy
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
It's funny. I've never seen this happen to Dean Smith. Or Joe Paterno. And so on and so forth. When you run a clean program, this doesn't happen. Whether Calipari knew or not, I have no idea. But the fact of the matter is, he can choose not to know.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:19 PM
You don't bring in kids who are even capable of cheating on the SAT or who will fall under the influence of an agent.

Yeah I'm sure coaches will get right on that. :lol:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/Carnac.jpg

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:23 PM
It's funny. I've never seen this happen to Dean Smith. Or Joe Paterno. And so on and so forth. When you run a clean program, this doesn't happen. Whether Calipari knew or not, I have no idea. But the fact of the matter is, he can choose not to know.

Perhaps you should go consult your lis again and look specifically for the names of all the coaches who have committed NCAA infractions.

Brace yourself... don't have a heart attack now... Cal has zero. But we all know he was really the mastermind behind it all. :lol:

joshnky
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
You don't bring in kids who are even capable of cheating on the SAT or who will fall under the influence of an agent. And if you tell me he won't need to do that at UK , I may barf.

This is my contention, too. While the coach is not at fault directly, some of these star players bring the trouble with them. OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose had issues during their recruitment that could suggest potential trouble. This is why Derrick Caracter was trouble for UofL and Jeremy Tyler would have been. This is also why I think Cincy fans should be worried about Stephenson.

Now is John Wall going to be another Kevin Durant (a "clean" superstar) or Derrick Rose? I think there are probably a good number of UK fans worried about that question.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Don't let one other little fact get in your way either: Memphis KNEW this outcome was a likely possibility and remained totally committed to keeping Cal as their coach.

Guess they must know a thing or two about the facts of the situation and don't just buy and feed into the lowest dregs of internet speculation.

They were going to keep a coach who got them into trouble? Um, no.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
This is my contention, too. While the coach is not at fault directly, some of these star players bring the trouble with them. OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose had issues during their recruitment that could suggest potential trouble. This is why Derrick Caracter was trouble for UofL and Jeremy Tyler would have been. This is also why I think Cincy fans should be worried about Stephenson.

Now is John Wall going to be another Kevin Durant (a "clean" superstar) or Derrick Rose? I think there are probably a good number of UK fans worried about that question.

What about that spazoid freshman kid who was acting like an eminem wanna-be at the Derby Festival? I'd be worried about him if I was a Louisville fan. Looks like a potential Derrick Rose to me.

dabvu2498
Yeah I'm sure coaches will get right on that. :lol: http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/Carnac.jpg I'm not talking about "coaches." I'm talking about Calipari. It is possible to have success in college athletics without recruiting kids who will cheat or take money from agents.

Reds4Life

I'm not worried that Stephenson will cause an NCAA problem for UC, but he won't help thier APR. He's one and done, I'd be suprised if he ever actually goes to class. Same thing happened with Ohio State, they lost a scholly because of thier APR, since they took on all those 1 and done's.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm not worried that Stephenson will cause an NCAA problem for UC, but he won't help thier APR. He's one and done, I'd be suprised if he ever actually goes to class. Same thing happened with Ohio State, they lost a scholly because of thier APR, since they took on all those 1 and done's.

Lots of questions about his eligibility... how big of a sleazeball would Cronin turn out to be if this kid ends up ineligible?

I mean, HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, right? Warning flags galore but he takes him anyway.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not talking about "coaches." I'm talking about Calipari. It is possible to have success in college athletics without recruiting kids who will cheat or take money from agents.

Derrick Rose maintains he didn't cheat.

You honestly believe you can tell whether or not a kid will take money from an agent? With 100% accuracy? As Chad Johnson would say, 'Child please.'

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Don't let one other little fact get in your way either: Memphis KNEW this outcome was a likely possibility and remained totally committed to keeping Cal as their coach. Guess they must know a thing or two about the facts of the situation and don't just buy and feed into the lowest dregs of internet speculation. They were going to keep a coach who got them into trouble? Um, no. That one gets tired, too.

Reds4Life
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Lots of questions about his eligibility... how big of a sleazeball would Cronin turn out to be if this kid ends up ineligible?

I mean, HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, right? Warning flags galore but he takes him anyway.

If he's not eligible, he won't play.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:36 PM
If he's not eligible, he won't play.

Oh no, you don't find out about the eligibility until AFTER he has played.

Cronin's reputation ... destroyed. All the X fans can now gleefully call your coach a scumbag and a cheater.

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Derrick Rose maintains he didn't cheat. You honestly believe you can tell whether or not a kid will take money from an agent? With 100% accuracy? As Chad Johnson would say, 'Child please.' As a coach at a high profile program, you better know.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
As a coach at a high profile program, you better know.

You think ANY coach can accurately forecast the actions of a teenager with 100% accuracy? What's his recruiting pool going to be, the Amish?

Kids do dumb things sometimes. ALL kids.

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
You think ANY coach can accurately forecast the actions of a teenager with 100% accuracy? What's his recruiting pool going to be, the Amish? Kids do dumb things sometimes. ALL kids. It's not forecasting. It is knowing that the kids you recruit won't cause you to have to take down a Final 4 banner.

Hoosier Red
08-20-2009, 09:55 PM
You think ANY coach can accurately forecast the actions of a teenager with 100% accuracy? What's his recruiting pool going to be, the Amish?

Kids do dumb things sometimes. ALL kids.

We're not asking for 100% accuracy, there have been 60 different teams in the final four in the last 15 years, two have had their final fours vacated. Somehow I think it's possible to recruit good enough players without breaking so many very big rules.

And yes, if Lance Stephenson is not eligible, it will reflect poorly on Mick Cronin.

WMR
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
We're not asking for 100% accuracy, there have been 60 different teams in the final four in the last 15 years, two have had their final fours vacated. Somehow I think it's possible to recruit good enough players without breaking so many very big rules.

And yes, if Lance Stephenson is not eligible, it will reflect poorly on Mick Cronin.

Reflect poorly sure but does it mean that he is a sleazeball or a dirty coach?

Absolutely not.

Which has been my point all along.

WMR
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
It's not forecasting. It is knowing that the kids you recruit won't cause you to have to take down a Final 4 banner.

Take a look at who else was recruiting Derrick Rose.

Think again about how many college coaches would have passed on Derrick Rose if they had a go-ahead from the NCAA as to his eligibility (which is what Cal and Memphis had). I bet you can count 'em with a couple fingers.

WVRed
08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but:

Nov. 2 a-CAMPBELLSVILLE FSN South

Nov. 6 a-CLARION FSN South

Nov. 13 MOREHEAD STATE ESPNU

Nov. 16 MIAMI (OHIO) Big Blue Sports Network

Nov. 19 SAM HOUSTON STATE TBA Big Blue Sports Network

Nov. 21 RIDER TBA Big Blue Sports Network

Nov. 24 Cleveland State Big Blue Sports Network

Nov. 25 Stanford or Virginia Big Blue Sports Network

Nov. 30 UNC-Asheville Big Blue Sports Network

Dec. 5 NORTH CAROLINA 12:30 p.m. CBS-27

Dec. 9 Connecticut 9:30 p.m. ESPN

Dec. 12 At Indiana Noon CBS-27

Dec. 19 AUSTIN PEAY Big Blue Sports Network

Dec. 21 DREXEL 7 p.m. ESPNU

Dec. 23 LONG BEACH STATE Big Blue Sports Network

Dec. 29 HARTFORD 7 p.m. ESPN2

Jan. 2 LOUISVILLE 3:30 p.m. CBS-27

Jan. 9 GEORGIA 4 p.m. SEC Network

Jan. 12 At Florida 9 p.m. ESPN

Jan. 16 At Auburn 4 p.m. SEC Network

Jan. 23 ARKANSAS 4 p.m. SEC Network

Jan. 26 At South Carolina 9 p.m. ESPN

Jan. 30 VANDERBILT 4 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 2 MISSISSIPPI 7 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 6 At Louisiana State 4 p.m. SEC Network

Feb. 9 ALABAMA 9 p.m. ESPNU

Feb. 13 TENNESSEE 9 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 16 At Mississippi State 9 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 20 At Vanderbilt 6 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 25 SOUTH CAROLINA 9 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 27 At Tennessee Noon CBS-27

March 3 At Georgia 8 p.m. SEC Network

March 7 FLORIDA Noon CBS-27

March 11-14 SEC Tournament SEC Network/ABC

dabvu2498
08-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Take a look at who else was recruiting Derrick Rose. Think again about how many college coaches would have passed on Derrick Rose if they had a go-ahead from the NCAA as to his eligibility (which is what Cal and Memphis had). I bet you can count 'em with a couple fingers. And UK fans would have been ragging the hell out of Pitino or Self if Rose had cost UofL or KU a Final 4 banner.

WMR
08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Coach Cal giving Vandy and Kevin Stallings some major props on the schedule show.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2009, 10:39 PM
While I do think Calipari cheats (I think all NCAA Division I programs cheat), I don't think he should be taken to task for the problems with Camby nor with Rose. The Rose situation is particularly galling to anyone with an iota of common sense.

No coach in America would think to check a student-athlete's test scores or eligibility after that student was cleared by the Clearinghouse. None. It's taken for granted that student is indeed eligible because the NCAA has said he's eligible. Despite the sour grapes from Red4Life and others, Cal gets a free pass from me for that one.

As an example, my favorite team, WKU, lost a Final Four appearance and had to forfeit its games that season because of a similar incident to Camby at UMass. No one thought Ed Diddle was crooked because of that. No one thought he should know because he was the coach, either. And Diddle absolutely controlled the boys on his teams like few coaches anywhere ever have.

As to Dab's protestations that Calipari recruit better citizens, I'd argue that's more of the crux of the problem. Calipari cares very little about anything but talent. Sometimes that means he recruits questionable players. (And, since, by all accounts, Calipari passed on Stephenson because of attitude and off-court questions, you've really got to be worried if you care at all about the reputation of your team as a Bearcat fan. But hey, he's not going to be a problem because... because... umm, because he's grown up a lot in the past few months? Perhaps.)

guttle11
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
The point isn't about Calipari knowing or not knowing. That will always be debatable and unable to truly prove either way without some kind of written or recorded evidence. Calipari, UMass, Memphis can say whatever they want, the fact is that serious violations occurred under their watch. Somebody has to be held accountable, and that's why they were punished. Keep in mind that the allegations against Memphis are more than just the SAT stuff. If a family member is getting on a chartered plane without paying for his spot up front (enough to make a player ineligible on its own merits), that's on the people in charge...and Calipari is on that list. The entire athletic department is to blame, because the allegations involve more than just the basketball program, IIRC.

The point is, the guy is the only coach in history to have two final fours taken off the books. Serious trouble has followed him at two places. That is a fact. He, the guy who runs the show, is fully responsible IMO, along with the schools, boosters, agents, players, and "handlers". Claiming ignorance...that dog won't hunt in the court of public opinion.

And yeah, if Cronin plays Born Ready and he later is shown to be ineligible, it's on him. He's the guy who ultimately makes the call to sign and play him. That goes for anyone. Accountability starts at the top.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I think it is within the realm of possibility that at some point during those two final four runs he might have heard a rumor about Rose cheating on the SAT or Camby talking with an agent. Players, especially these two, are stupid and arrogant and I can't see them keeping this a secret. If he did hear about it, he was obligated to investigate it further, regardless of whether he was at fault or whether the NCAA had already cleared a player.

How are Camby and Rose especially stupid and arrogant? And have you ever been around kids, johnky? They're keep secrets much, much, much better than adults. If they don't want you to know, you're not going to find out.

improbus
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
A few things:
-Whether it is fair or not (and I don't think any of us has any idea how much Coach Cal really knew about Camby and Rose), Kentucky is going to be under the microscope. Going forward, that is what is important. It may not be fair, but it is true.
-Coach Cal isn't the only coach to have a problem w/ agents. The list is pretty long. Joe Paterno (Curtis Enis), Calhoun (Nate Miles), Saban (Andre Smith), Carroll (Bush), etc...
-My UK obsession came later in life (due to 3 years of grad school and a tremendous amount of debt), so I have a slightly different perspective than UK-lifers. The image of UK is not clean (we did get the Death Penalty in the '50's) and that will never be erased and I was one of those who would tease them and their fans. Is it jealousy? Maybe, maybe not. But, we are seen historically as cheating racists (Rupp, Sutton, etc...) and when you combine that w/ Coach Cal's shaky past, people are going to jump all over it. It is an easy story and the media knows that it will rile us up (which it has). So, just get used to the "How did Cal get these recruits,;),;)" stories. They will not stop any time soon.

WVRed
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Another quote, this time from Alan Cutler of chasing Billy Gillispie fame:

ASK yourself this question, what coach would not have taken Derrick Rose? even Pat Forde’s dad….Rick Pitino would have taken him

Scrap Irony
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
From Gregg Doyel, at CBS Sports:

So the NCAA is about to vacate Memphis' Final Four from 2008, presumably because -- while he was in high school -- 2008 Memphis star Derrick Rose used a fraudulent test score to get into college in the first place.

Fine.

But what about the program that made it to a Final Four with a player who, the NCAA later found out, had accepted more than $2,000 from his AAU coach while still in high school? That player also should have been ineligible. That school also should have vacated the Final Four.

But that player was Corey Maggette. And that team was Duke. The year was 1999.

So nothing happened. To anyone. To this day. Nothing has happened, and it never will.

My point? My point is that the NCAA, even with as much progress as it has made under Myles Brand, still uses selective justice when crashing down onto various schools or coaches. Then-Memphis coach John Calipari is on the NCAA's hit list, and so the NCAA ostensibly holds him responsible for Marcus Camby's dalliance with an agent in 1995, and for whatever Derrick Rose did while he was in high school hundreds of miles away in Chicago.

But Mike Krzyzewski is not on the NCAA's hit list, so Maggette is fine, Duke is fine, 1999 is fine, the world is a happy place full of seashells and balloons.

Forgive me if I vomit up a conch.

And Dan Wetzel:

SAN ANTONIO, Texas – It's an old argument: The NCAA selectively enforces its rules. When it comes to violations, the critics contend, it goes easy on favored programs while actively investigating and hammering others.

By laying down the law on some, the NCAA looks serious about cracking down on cheats. By ignoring the transgressions of others, it sets up a profitable business model.

College athletics is popular, in part, because it has clean programs and dirty ones, black hats and white, heels and heroes. In reality the division isn't so clear, but who cares about reality? This works in wrestling, doesn't it?

The NCAA has denied it for decades. It says it treats all institutions equally.

Which brings us to the curious case of Corey Maggette, Myron Piggie and Duke, most certainly one of the NCAA's golden programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

And for good reason.

Under the impressive command of Mike Krzyzewski, Duke has fielded not only a team with a winning record in 21 of the past 24 seasons but also a team comprised of likable, high-quality student-athletes. When people cite programs that "do it the right way," Duke usually is the first example. These are the good guys.

But what happens when a bad thing happens to a good program? What if Duke fielded a team with an ineligible player? What if the precedent for such an offense called for the embarrassing forfeiture of games and the stripping of a Final Four appearance?

Would the NCAA ever risk tarnishing the image of a public relations cornerstone? Would the association ever treat Duke and its Hall of Fame coach like everyone else?

We are waiting (and waiting and waiting) to find out. Each passing day answers the question more definitively.

Here is a timeline of the case in question:

April 1997 to August 1997: Kansas City summer basketball coach Myron Piggie makes cash payments to high school player Corey Maggette totaling $2,000. The money comes from a revenue pool that includes donations to Piggie from professional sports agents Kevin Poston and Jerome Stanley.

Nov. 12, 1997: Maggette signs a national letter of intent with Duke.

October 1998 to March 1999: Maggette averages 10.6 points per game to help Duke (37-2) reach the national championship game, which Duke loses to Connecticut.

June 30, 1999: Maggette is selected 13th in the NBA draft.

April 13, 2000: A federal grand jury in Missouri hands down an 11-count indictment of Piggie, which details the payments to Maggette (along with players at three other schools). By NCAA statutes the payments compromise Maggette's amateur status. Maggette initially denies receiving any money.

April 18, 2000: The NCAA's Jane Jankowski says: "We will have to determine if Duke, in fact, had an ineligible player in the NCAA tournament. And, if so, what monies would have to be returned for use of an ineligible player."

May 23, 2000: Piggie works a plea bargain and admits making the payments.

July 12, 2000: Maggette comes clean and admits he received the cash from Piggie.

Spring 2001: Duke hands over all its information to the NCAA, according to John Burness, Duke's senior vice president for public affairs.

May 30, 2001: Piggie is sentenced to 37 months in federal prison for fraud.

January 2003: Piggie is paroled from federal prison in Arkansas.

As for the NCAA ruling, it's been nearly four years since all pertinent information was admitted under oath, four years after the NCAA vowed to "determine" if Duke violated eligibility standards and three years after the school presented its defense.

"We don't have any information on that," NCAA spokesperson Monica Lunderman said Tuesday. The NCAA does not provide comment concerning "ongoing investigations."

But what they could still be investigating is unclear. There appears to be nothing else to find. Everyone long ago admitted everything. If there is any movement on the case, Duke administrators are unaware.

"We have not heard anything official for the past year," Burness said Tuesday.

So the case is what, fully investigated but never to be ruled on? The NCAA hoping it just fades away, forgotten?

These things take time though, right? Not really.

While 20 teams were forced to vacate NCAA appearances during the 1990s for use of ineligible players, the two most pertinent cases involve Missouri and Jevon Crudup in 1994 and Massachusetts and Marcus Camby in 1996.

Like Maggette, both players received payments from either agents or people affiliated with agents. Both rightfully were deemed to have violated the NCAA's standards of amateurism and thus made their teams ineligible for competition.

When Missouri turned in its case in the spring of 1996, it took the NCAA less than four months to find the Tigers guilty, strip them of their 1994 NCAA Elite Eight appearance and demand the repayment of $97,000 in revenue.

In March of 1997 UMass turned over its case, and just seven weeks later the NCAA vacated the school's 1996 Final Four appearance, took away 35 victories and asked for restitution of $160,000 in revenue.

In both cases, the schools and its coaches were exonerated of any wrongdoing.

And that is probably the case with Krzyzewski and Duke. It is unlikely anyone in Durham knew, or should have known, about Maggette's dealings with Piggie. But that has nothing to do with the rules. If you play one ineligible player, even unintentionally, by definition your team is ineligible.

Duke has a wrinkle in its defense. Maggette took his money before he was enrolled at the school. Crudup and Camby took theirs while in college.

"At no time when he was associated with Duke did [Maggette] take the payments," Burness said. "It is very different when someone is enrolled."

It is a compelling argument and maybe it spares the Blue Devils from punishment. But amateur status seems like a clearly defined standard you can't cross back and forth from. It is sort of like saying someone is a little bit pregnant.

This would be an interesting decision for the NCAA to make. Maybe Duke should be cleared. Maybe not. But the normally vigilant NCAA has made no effort to judge this seemingly fully investigated case. No ruling. No phone calls to Duke for a year. No word.

When it was Missouri and Massachusetts, justice was swift, complete and appropriately in line with NCAA statutes.

So why not with Duke?

Saturday the Blue Devils play in their 14th Final Four, white hats firmly secured, no tarnish, forfeits or embarrassing scandals on Krzyzewski's legacy. The NCAA business model rolls on.

Meanwhile the "investigation" soon enters its fourth year.

"You would think it would be completed by now," the NCAA's Lunderman said.

Sometimes silence can say a lot.

Ahem... What they said.

WMR
08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice to see at least a couple members of the media keep their wits about them.

dsmith421
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
WMR, I think this is actually causing you to lose your mind. You just cited Alan Cutler to make a point. I think you need to retire from the discussion and either lie down or drink 20 beers. I'm concerned.

WMR
08-21-2009, 09:11 PM
WMR, I think this is actually causing you to lose your mind. You just cited Alan Cutler to make a point. I think you need to retire from the discussion and either lie down or drink 20 beers. I'm concerned.

I'll opt for door #2, doctor. :D

WVRed
08-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Eloy Vargas, who is currently looking to transfer from Florida, is visiting UK this weekend.

WMR
08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
He's not looking to transfer, he IS transferring.

WVRed
08-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Either way, he and Marquis Teague are in Lexington.

I don't know how I feel about Vargas though. Seems like he would steal minutes from potential recruits who are looking at us.

Hoosier Red
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM

Does the SEC have the same rule as the Big 11 where you can transfer to a school within conference but you have to pay your own way?

WMR
08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Either way, he and Marquis Teague are in Lexington.

I don't know how I feel about Vargas though. Seems like he would steal minutes from potential recruits who are looking at us.

I don't know enough about Vargas to have an educated opinion one way or the other.

Having a complete season in the system to get acclimated would certainly help...

Would love to see the pickup games with Teague.

WMR
08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Does the SEC have the same rule as the Big 11 where you can transfer to a school within conference but you have to pay your own way?

Not sure on that one. I heard something to that effect, so you may be right.

Scrap Irony
08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Rumor is that his grades are so poor that he has to pay his way through school anyway. Hope Kentucky has done due diligence on him. Though it's really a win-win scenario. If he gets eligible, he's a big that can play in space; if he doesn't, the only harm is in recruiting for a year.

WMR
08-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I've heard that Freddie Munster down in Gainesville has made the grades out to be a bigger issue than they actually are...

Florida has been hemorrhaging players for a while now so I can see that as being very possible.

WMR
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Everyone watch Slick Rick's meltdown today? :D

WVRed
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/rickkaren.jpg

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Everyone watch Slick Rick's meltdown today? :D

You mean the guy that single-handedly brought the UK program back from the death penalty?

I might as well titter when Pete Gillen is calling Iona games on the radio.

WMR
08-27-2009, 12:38 AM
You mean the guy that single-handedly brought the UK program back from the death penalty?

I might as well titter when Pete Gillen is calling Iona games on the radio.

:lol: Oh Lord, talk about an overreaction.

You do know that he coaches at UK's biggest rival, correct?

What I typed is pretty tame, actually. He scheduled a press conference for the sole purpose of yelling at the media. LULZ were had by all. Your Gillen analogy isn't comparable at all. Pitino got on the air today and acted like a fool.

I always love how fans of other programs act like we owe Rick something. Rick benefited just as much from UK as UK did from Rick.

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 12:44 AM
You do know that he coaches at UK's biggest rival, correct?

I like to keep myself informed.

What I typed is pretty tame, actually. He scheduled a press conference for the sole purpose of yelling at the media. LULZ were had by all.

Pitino is a jackass who completely embarrassed himself. However, I find the joviality from the UK contingent a leetle silly, given that your current coach is basically the new and improved Pitino 2.0.

WMR
08-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I like to keep myself informed.

Pitino is a jackass who completely embarrassed himself. However, I find the joviality from the UK contingent a leetle silly, given that your current coach is basically the new and improved Pitino 2.0.

:lol: I love you, man.

He may share some characteristics with Rick, but he's never cheated on his wife, paid for an abortion, or been extorted for millions of dollars (as far as we know).

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 12:51 AM
He may share some characteristics with Rick, but he's never cheated on his wife, paid for an abortion, or been extorted for millions of dollars (as far as we know).

Well, yet, anyway.

Seriously is going to be awesome when Denny Crum is coaching Louisville in December. I'm not convinced he knows there's a shot clock.

WMR
08-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, yet, anyway.

Seriously is going to be awesome when Denny Crum is coaching Louisville in December. I'm not convinced he knows there's a shot clock.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Congrats on Justin Martin, btw. Love seeing X take that kid away.

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 12:55 AM
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Congrats on Justin Martin, btw. Love seeing X take that kid away.

If they can get his academics in order he's a huge signing. If they get the McKenzie kid from Moeller it's an epic recruiting class.

Very excited for the coming year. XU's non-con schedule is disgustingly hard.

cumberlandreds
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Another of UK's former coaches is in the news and in trouble. I hope Joe B and Tubby can stay out of trouble today. :D

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/910948.html

Blimpie
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Shocking....another DUI for Billy Clyde. What is that, a Baker's Dozen?

At least he is spreading them out in terms of geographical reach (OK, TX, KY).

BRM
08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Good to see Billy Clyde still likes to party.

dabvu2498
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
That had been golfing. At 245 am.

BRM
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
He was confused on how to open the trunk, unlock the car door and unlock the glove box. Yeah, he was feeling pretty good.

Blimpie
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Anyone looking for a new avatar?

dabvu2498
08-27-2009, 11:13 AM
The guy was (is?) a timebomb. Hopefully he sobers up before he kills someone or pickles his own liver.

WMR
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
oh boy

WMR
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Shocking....another DUI for Billy Clyde. What is that, a Baker's Dozen?

At least he is spreading them out in terms of geographical reach (OK, TX, KY).

He's never been convicted of a DUI.

This would be his first.

dabvu2498
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
He's never been convicted of a DUI. This would be his first. There are no boosters to get him out of this one. At least he was experienced enough to refuse the BAC tests. Did he do the SFST?

BRM
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Is that always the best strategy? Refuse the BAC tests?