PDA

View Full Version : Chris Heisey cracks the Baseball America Hot Sheet

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
No. 7 CHRIS HEISEY, CF, REDS

Team: Double-A Carolina (Southern)
Why He's Here: .500/.556/.818 (12-for-29), 1 2B, 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 4 BB, 0 Ks, 2 SB
The Scoop: Heisey is quickly going from being an intriguing sleeper prospect to one of the best prospects in the Reds system. Although he can hit most anywhere in the lineup, it's hard not to admire his leadoff skills—with 24 walks and only 13 strikeouts all season, Heisey is a walking example of a tough out. He also makes pitchers pay once he reaches. He's stolen nine bases in 10 tries this year and is now 74-for-88 (84 percent) for his career.

And on the Not-So Hot Sheet:

Devin Mesoraco, c, Reds There's an old scouting adage that catchers take longer to start hitting because they have so much else to worry about. The Reds better hope that's true because Mesoraco is now hitting .180/.281/.311 for high Class A Sarasota. His defense isn't helping him either—he's thrown out only 6 of 40 base stealers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268202.html

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
By the way, I just finished reading Baseball Prospectus' 2008 draft review, and in it Kevin Goldstein mentions that Matt Fairel has been flashing above-average velocity and a nice curve. Has anyone on here seen Fairel pitch lately, and if so, how has his velocity looked?

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Dan (Work): Do you have any info on Yorman Rodriguez OF in Cincy? I cant seem to find anything on him, thanks.

Ben Badler: He'll start playing in the Gulf Coast League later this summer

cjb (madison, wi): Chris Heisey, everyday player or more of a 4th OFer type?

Ben Badler: Potential everyday player, though I'm not sure if it's for the Reds

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1243617399

BRM
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Ben Badler: Potential everyday player, though I'm not sure if it's for the Reds

Potential trade bait, huh? Well, I guess if they decide Stubbs is a keeper then it would make sense to deal Heisey for something else.

Dude Rock
05-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Potential trade bait, huh? Well, I guess if they decide Stubbs is a keeper then it would make sense to deal Heisey for something else.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but triple AAA has Dorn, Hopper, McDonald, and Stubbs for the outfield. Dorn is struggling beyond bad, Hopper and McDonald are serviceable players. Stubbs is having a nice year.

Why aren't Heisey and Henry being promoted to triple AAA yet?

The only reason I can think is that the Reds don't want them to increase their trade value because they want to keep these guys.

Brutus
05-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't know how many times I have to say it, but triple AAA has Dorn, Hopper, McDonald, and Stubbs for the outfield. Dorn is struggling beyond bad, Hopper and McDonald are serviceable players. Stubbs is having a nice year.

Why aren't Heisey and Henry being promoted to triple AAA yet?

The only reason I can think is that the Reds don't want them to increase their trade value because they want to keep these guys.

I would think it would be the opposite. If they keep them down, it might keep their value higher because it helps disguise their vulnerabilities better. The better you do and the lower the level the less advanced scouts will pick apart your weaknesses. So my thinking is that they do want to trade one of them, or at least, want to keep them as tradeable commodities.

HokieRed
05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Any chance Heisey can play an infield position? Has he ever?

Mario-Rijo
05-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Any chance Heisey can play an infield position? Has he ever?

Not in the minors. My boy Henry has played 2B, SS, 3B though.