PDA

View Full Version : Valiquette/Partch Promoted; Lutz to DL; Mallett released

Doc. Scott
05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3831686

--
Zebulon, NC --- The Cincinnati Reds have made a series of roster moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's game with the Montgomery Biscuits.
RHP Derrik Lutz has been placed on the disabled list with right elbow inflammation. Lutz has appeared in 20 games, compiling a record of 1-2 with two saves, along with an ERA of 1.99. RHP Justin Mallett was released Thursday afternoon after splitting 2009 with Triple-A Louisville and the Mudcats. With Carolina, Mallett started five games, producing a record of 0-2 with a 3.68 ERA.

Replacing Lutz and Mallett on the active roster are RHP Curtis Partch and LHP Philippe Valiquette. Partch, drafted in the 26th round of the 2007 amateur draft, was 3-3 with a 5.28 ERA with the Dayton Dragons of the Midwest League, winning his last two starts with the Dragons. Partch, 22, will make his Double-A debut on Saturday night, starting against the Biscuits. Valiquette, 22, was the Reds' seventh round pick in the 2004 draft from Montreal's Montpetit High School. Valiquette was 1-1 with six saves and a 2.29 ERA over 17 games with High-A Sarasota this season.
--

Partch is an interesting choice; the Reds must really like him, because he had an ERA over 5 at Dayton last year, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he were moved to the bullpen, actually.

Valiquette has done really well since he was moved to the bullpen last year.

Mallett, 27, was a non-drafted free agent who was basically serving as a utility pitcher these past few years- going from AA to AAA and back depending on who needed a guy to come in and throw a few strikes. He might get picked up because his numbers were not too bad, all things considered. He had a 4.50 ERA in 100 innings at Louisville in '08.

Lutz seemed to be getting much more consistent this year after a very up-and-down '08 in Carolina. Hope he's back soon.

Mario-Rijo
05-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Hate to see that with Lutz, one of my favorite arms. I was hoping he'd have a breakout year and it was looking like he was doing just that. Good to see Valiquette progressing.

JayBruceFan
05-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Partch has a strong arm

Not sure how his secondary pitches are but at this point his stuff translates more to a bullpen role than it does to a starting role

NorrisHopper30
05-30-2009, 02:34 AM
I thought the title said Massett released..

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM
• Former Dragons pitcher Justin Mallett was released from Class AA Carolina and current Dragons starter Curtis Partch was called up to Carolina and will start tonight’s game. It’s a one-game assignment. Partch is scheduled back in Dayton on Sunday or Monday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/record-dragons-crowd-sees-a-loss-140141.html

JaxRed
05-30-2009, 02:26 PM
The two things I thought of last night when I saw this, was the Partch promotion skipping Sarasota only made sense for a spot promotion.

The other was (although in no way shape or form did I conder Mallett a major league prospect) his numbers did not justify a release. In the back of my head I wondered if there was some other issue. He previously had a 50 game drug suspension that was not performance-enhancing related.

redsof72
05-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Partch is believed to be going to Carolina for one start only.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2009, 02:38 AM
• Another pitcher, Junior Martinez, joined the team after reliever Mace Thurman was promoted to Sarasota. Thurman was 3-0 with a 2.93 ERA with the Dragons.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/extra-inning-setback-spoils-dragons-perfect-night-140879.html