PDA

View Full Version : Chances of the Reds making the playoffs

fewfirstchoice
05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
I say there are zero (0) percent chance this Reds team makes the playoffs. Why? Because when first place is on the line they simply fold. They were in first place before going to San Diego the worst team in the NL. They got sweep. You can say what you want but they choked. They were .5 ame out coming into this series with the Brew Crew and have lost the first 2 and might aswell say they will lose this last ame aswell. Anytime the Reds have a chance to get into or add to their lead in first place they choke and fold. Simple if the Reds are say 6 to 7 games out of first place and play the first place team they at least take 2 out of 3 from them but as soon as the games mean something the Reds choke. I wish it were different but the facts are above and proven. Maybe they can change later in the year and play good when the games mean something but who knows. But heres :beerme: to hoping they do.

schmidty622
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Agree, they just don't have the talent, or luck, to compete all year and stay in the race.

Jones1
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
I disagree when this club is healthy they can compete with anybody. Losing Votto was huge. If they can play 500 baseball until he gets back they'll be fine and will make the playoffs or come very close.

Ghosts of 1990
05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Losing Votto was a huge blow to us. Now we don't have a hitter in the lineup over .300 or even really capable of that number. Hanigan isn't an every day player but now he's forced into the lineup everyday.

And most of all, Micah Owings every 5th day makes sure to give up 5 or more before the 5th. It is become almost routine.

fewfirstchoice
05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Owings needs to go to the pen and Walt and Bob need to go get anotherr starter, maybe Brad Penny? The Reds also need another run producer in the worst way. If they somehow find these 2 things the Reds will contend if not they will not.

Ghosts of 1990
05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Owings is and has been such a batting practice machine.... He just doesn't have an out pitch, he's incredibly ordinary even in terms of a 5th starter. I want him out of the rotation so badly.

Dude Rock
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Owings is and has been such a batting practice machine.... He just doesn't have an out pitch, he's incredibly ordinary even in terms of a 5th starter. I want him out of the rotation so badly.

Yeah, let's bring up Homer Bailey. :rolleyes:

We should trade for Peavy or Bedard. It's about our only chance since our offense is so dreadful without Joey. A competent 5th starter would atleast give us another chance at a shutdown win.

GOYA
05-31-2009, 11:02 PM
I'd say the chances of whatever the Reds do, someone here will make a kneejerk reaction post about it are about 99%.

Guys, it's a long season. A lot of things could happen. Don't panic and don't buy World Series tickets yet.

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, let's bring up Homer Bailey. :rolleyes:

We should trade for Peavy or Bedard. It's about our only chance since our offense is so dreadful without Joey. A competent 5th starter would atleast give us another chance at a shutdown win.

Sorry Mrs. Owings, the truth hurts. Let me try to teach you something that I try to teach my wife. Just because I'm saying something bad about person A (Owings) that does not mean we have to bash a person B to excuse the things I'm saying about person A that I don't like. I'm talking about Owings, not Bailey. And Owings doesn't have an out pitch or fit this park we play in half the time.

Dude Rock
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry Mrs. Owings, the truth hurts. Let me try to teach you something that I try to teach my wife. Just because I'm saying something bad about person A (Owings) that does not mean we have to bash a person B to excuse the things I'm saying about person A that I don't like. I'm talking about Owings, not Bailey. And Owings doesn't have an out pitch or fit this park we play in half the time.

Just because you say something negative about Micah doesn't make it true. It is your opinion.

Bailey has a 6.50 career e.r.a. in the majors. He did no better last time he was brought up. I still fail to see his "out" pitch.

Finally, please do not call me "Mrs. Owings", as I find it offensive. I am not in love with Micah. I just maintain that his e.r.a. is better than Homer's (WHICH IT IS). Facts are the truth. Heck, Homer's minor league e.r.a. isn't much better than Micah's major league e.r.a.
================================================== ========================================

Comment:
I think people are starting to get nasty with other posters due to the Reds current losing streak. You might want to check yourselves. I don't like being attacked. I'm sure nobody does. Let's please keep it civil. We're all Reds fans.

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Dude Rock, I wasn't trying to offend you at all. I was making a joke.

Owings might be as good as Bailey. It's anyone's guess including mine. I believe what I believe for different reasons no doubt. But I think Owings will always hold us back. It's just one man's opinion. It is not significant. I apologize if you felt attacked.

BSUFB
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
What about just keeping Owings as a pinch hitter or putting him in LF? I would hate to loss his bat (better then most of the bench guys).

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Wait, what happened to Dude Rock? His name looks different then all of ours now....

$1 Hot Dog
06-01-2009, 11:55 PM
No way you take Bailey over Owings. They are about even pitchers and Owings bat is enough to push him way over the top. I agree with the first post here. IF the reds can learn to actually play better baseball instead of worse baseball in clutch situations, buy your playoff tickets now. Every time the reds go through a slide it seems they come back firing and I really think they will at least be a + .500 record and that's really all you can expect from an injury-plagued, young team. Pitching will keep other teams honest all year long, and when Votto comes back he'll make the hitters around him that much better. Hopefully Volquez it okay. Gomes off the bench is huge against lefties and having a 500 man platoon in the outfield is okay with me because they can keep starting who is hot. If the reds are in the hunt in late July, I bet they will pull for a hitter to push them into the playoffs. Let's hope that happens. Go Reds!