PDA

View Full Version : June 2009 Miscellaneous Reds updates

Pages : 1 [2]

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
From Lance:

Nats 3 Reds 2....gotta do something
Ouch....that hurts. Could have swept and moved within a half game of Milwaukee for first place. They led 2-0 going to the bottom of the 8th.
Entering today they were 28-1 when leading after 7 innings.
They had just 5 hits today....only one hit after the third inning today. They began the day hitting .209 in June...worst in MLB.....add on a 5 for 31 day and they dropped to .205.
They have now scored 43 runs in their last 13 games (3.3).....and scored less than three runs six times in that period. Paging Joey Votto. Paging Joey Votto.
The Reds can't continue to struggle scoring runs....and struggle with guys playing out of position.
Hairston's is not a 3B. He hesitated on a ball today....and it led to a run. Rosales is not a 1B. The throw that got past him in the 8th allowed the go ahead run to score.
Hernandez and Hanigan are going to be run into the ground as much as they are playing. I don't think they can wait on Edwin much longer with the setback.
Anyone for Mark DeRosa? He's in the final year of his deal, paying him 5.5 milllion this year with Cleveland. He's 34, versatile, a great clubhouse guy and has postseason experience.
He's played 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF in his career. This year .264-10-42. He could be a stop gap guy they let walk at the end of the year. He won't cost as much, talent wise, in his walk year. If the White Sox do in fact wave the white flag (see story below) I think they have to reopen talks about Jermaine Dye. Another walk year guy.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 08:38 PM
That's an amazing stat. The Reds pitching staff has given up 3.83 runs per game in the last 12 games...and the Reds are 5-7 during that stretch. That's crazy. With pitching like that, they should be 8-4 at least.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Phillips on the final play
Posted by JohnFay at 6/11/2009 8:40 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

You, I and Dusty Baker thought Brandon Phillips should have held the ball on the play in the eighth. But given how the Reds' offense is going, can you blame him for trying? Phillips' throwing error attempting to turn a double play allowed the winning run to score in the Reds' 3-2 loss to the Washington Nationals.

“Game on the line, you’re going to try to make a play,” Phillips said. “That’s what I tried to do. (Alberto) Gonzalez, the runner, he hit me and I tried to make a play. That was basically it.”

“I was on the ground. He didn’t hurt me or nothing. I tried to hurry up and throw it to first and try to end the (inning) with a double play.”

"Probably not," Baker said when asked if Phillips should have throw the ball. "Brandon's trying to make a play. Brandon's the best around."

Phillips was more disappointed in the offense than what happened on the play.

“I honestly I felt like we should have lost every game against the Nationals," Phillips said. "We’re not hitting the ball. Our pitching staff is doing the job. Two runs is not good enough. This team is down right. They’re in last place. We just ain’t hit the ball. It’s terrible how we hit the ball.”

Any team will take two of three on the road and be happy 19 times out of 20. But series here didn't feel like a winning for the Reds. They five outs from the sweep and being a half game out of first.

"It's been a taxing three days," Baker said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a31f94516-887a-484c-b536-fc80b4903876&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

SirFelixCat
06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Just atrocious, this offense. They can't just hope and pray EdE and Votto come back soon. Something's gotta give.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Reds kept trying to lose, then succeeded
By Hal McCoy | Thursday, June 11, 2009, 04:41 PM

ON THE UGLY scale, it was off the charts. Immeasurable.

The Cincinnati Reds tried, tried and tried to give away baseball games to the Washington Nationals. The third time was the charm.

An ill-advised throw by second baseman Brandon Phillips on an attempt for an inning-ending double play ended nothing. His throw skipped past first baseman Adam Rosales and two runs scored, the two runs that beat the Reds, 3-2.

The Reds had only 20 hits and scored only nine runs in the three games in the nation’s capital and luckily won the first two, 3-2 and 4-2 in 12 innings - only because the Nationals are not very good.

In fact, Phillips was back in his “we deserved to lose” mode Thursday and said the Reds should have lost all three.

“Honestly, I feel as if we should have lost every game against the Nationals. We’re not hitting the ball. Two runs a game is not good enough. That team is down, in last place and it’s just terrible how we’re not hitting the ball.”

The Reds led, 2-1, entering the eighth, only because the Nationals were on their way to stranding 14 runners.

Pinch-hitter Willie Harris led with a single off Carlos Fisher and Fisher was replaced by Daniel Ray Herrera. Pinch-hitter Andrew Hernandez singled to put runners on first and second with no outs.

Cristian Guzman bunted and Herrera made a spectacular throw to third base for a force out. When Alberto Gonzalez singled to fill the bases, Nick Masset replaced Herrera and The Big Play arrived.

Ryan Zimmerman grounded softly to short. Alex Gonzalez fielded it and threw to Phillips for the force at second on Alberto Gonzalez.

Alberto Gonzalez knocked Phillips to the ground and his throw skipped past first baseman Adam Rosales as Hernandez scored the tying run and Guzman scored what would be the winning run.

“What happened? You tell me. I was on the ground,” said Phillips. “Game on the line, you try to make a play. That’s what I tried to do. The runner hit me as I was trying to make the play. I tried to hurry the throw to first to end the inning with a double play. I don’t know what happened after that.”

Manager Dusty Baker thought Phillips probably shouldn’t have made the throw because it looked as if Zimmerman would beat the throw to first anyway and it would have been tied, 2-2, instead of Washington taking the 3-2 lead. “Probably shouldn’t have thrown it,” said Baker. “It was just him trying when he probably shouldn’t have, but Brandon is the best around. And you have a novice first baseman (Rosales).

SOMEBODY SAID President Obama ate at Five Guys today. Well, now we know he knows a good burger when he eats one. And french fries, too. Wonder if they charged him.

A double burger and large fries at the Five Guys in Nationals Park costs $17.50. I was looking for the uranium inside the burger, but didn’t find it. I’ll know it was in there if I start to glow tonight.

THE REDS go to Kansas City for the first time since 1999 for three interleague games and due to the luck of the pitching rotation draw they won’t have to face Zack Greinke (8-2, 1.55). The combined record of the three pitchers they will face is 7-10. As was Washington, Kansas City is a team the Reds should devour with their barbecue and their steaks in between visits to the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame.

THE REDS did not have a good start Thursday against the Nats. Jerry Hairston Jr. beat an infield hit to short by sliding head first into first base. Always thought that was a dumb thing to do, that it would lead to broken fingers and hands getting stepped on by spikes.

Anyway, Willy Taveras bunted in front of the plate. Hairston started to second and stopped, probably thinking the catcher had a chance to snag it in the air. So Hairston was easily forced at second. Brandon Phillips singled to left and Taveras stopped at second.

The Reds tried a double steal and Nats catcher Wil Nieves nailed Phillips at second base. Jonny Gomes popped to left. Three baserunners, no runs. That was pretty much the day’s offense for the Reds.

THERE’S A helicopter hoverng over the scoreboard in center, but I don’t think Obama is in it. It might be Adam Dunn, though, searching for a hit. Or maybe for a Nationals win. they found it Thursday.

The 1962 New York Mets set the modern record for losses in a season with 120. After 57 games, those Mets were 16-41. The 2009 Washington Nationals are 15-42. Dunn has stwo more home runs, 17, than the Nats have wins.

BEFORE THURSDAY’S game, manager Dusty Baker said, “Maybe we can get out of town before Adam Dunn hits a home run.” It looked as if they were going to get out of town before he got a hit. He was 0 for 9 and stranded 10 runners before he got a harmless hit in the eighth with a runner on first.

ANOTHER EX-RED and Dunn’s best buddy, Austin Kearns, started his first game of the series Thursday and was 0 for 3, stranding four runners. Kearns and Dunn were two of the original Dayton Dragons and two of the biggest stars to come through there but their gloss in wearing off in Washington and Kearns was booed loudly.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/11/somebody_said_president_obama.html

Nasty_Boy
06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
It's funny how much McAllister flip-flops... A couple of days ago it was be patient, wait til Joey gets back, they'll be fine blah blah blah... Now he's back in gotta do something mode. Isn't the "gotta do something" camp where most Redszoners have been since last October?

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Help wanted, er, needed
Posted by JohnFay at 6/12/2009 7:40 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Greetings from Ronald Reagan National Airport. I'll be in the Cincinnati, well CVG, later today -- for a 45-minute layover on the way to Kansas City. I've never been to K.C. for baseball. I'm looking forward to it. I completely forgot to ask Dusty Baker who he plans to use as the DH, or more specifically if Micah Owings would get at-bats there.

One thing that was very clear watching the Reds the last three days is that they need help on the offense. You can throw up all kinds of numbers to support that. But you really only need three: 3, 4, 2. They scored 3, 4 and 2 runs in the games with the Nationals. Pitching is the major reason the Nationals are 16-42.

So the need for offensive help is apparent. The question is where do they get it. Here's three options:

--Joey Votto comes back Tuesday. I think there's a chance that happens. I'm pretty sure the Reds have a very good idea when Votto will return, but they don't want to say. If he's coming back Tuesday, you can probably wait till then and not make a move.

--Help from within the organization. Drew Stubbs, Todd Frazier and Chris Heisey all have hit well in the minors. With Willy Taveras in throes of a major skid, you could play Stubbs or Heisey in center for a while. Frazier is more flexible. He can play first, third or left.

--Get help from the outside. The Reds have a deep rotation at Double-A. They just drafted a starting pitcher No. 1. And a lot of teams would take a chance on Homer Bailey. Is it time to give up young pitching for a bat? Cleveland may be willing to part with Mark DeRosa. There's been talk radio talk of reviving the Jermaine Dye deal.

Walt Jocketty has been very patient, and the team is 1 1/2 games out in NL Central. So maybe they ride this out.

As always, what do you think?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aa99af69f-4094-4419-9c79-4ededd7a1376&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
From Lance's blog:

Of note
Reds pitchers last 8 games: 2.48 ERA
Reds starting pitchers last 8 games: 1.86 ERA
Reds hitters last 8 games: .204, 3.38 runs
Reds record last 8 games: 4-4
The Reds had 1 blown save in the first 51 games.
They have 3 blown saves in their last 5 games.

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2009, 06:49 PM
‘Going to Kansas City, Kansas City here they come’
By Hal McCoy | Friday, June 12, 2009, 02:13 PM

I hadn’t been to Kansas City since 1999, so maybe it is understandable that I forgot that the Kansas City airport actually is closer to St. Louis than it is to downtown Kansas City.

When I got into a cab at the KC Airport I wanted to RIDE in a cab, NOT buy a cab. But I almost did.

Once we left the airport, there was no sign of civilization until the meter hit $41.35. No buildings, no restaurants, no hotels, no houses. Nothing but trees, more trees than are in the Black Forest.

The meter hit $41.35 when we reached the Claycomo exit. (Where?)

The meter hit $44.08 when I saw a sign, “Kansas City” limits. Still nothing but trees and a ribbon of concrete highway. The cabbie was humming. Is there a song, “Easy Money?”

The meter hit $47.65 when I saw a Super 8 Motel off an exit ramp. Civilization!!!

The meter hit $56.89 when we passed a sign that said, “Harry S. Truman Museum,” this exit. Give ‘em hell, Harry, who would have been giving this cabbie hell, but, hey, he was taking a direct route unless The Roadrunner was putting up false signs, “This way to Kansas City.”

The meter hit $66.77 when we exited and there, voila, The Sheraton Hotel. Only $66.97 on the meter. Welcome to Kansas City, city boy.

HOW MANY of you have flown US Airways commuter flights out of Washington Reagan Airport. Unfortunately, my hand is waving up in the air with the rest of you.

ALL, and I mean ALL, US Airways commuter flights go out of ONE gate, 35A. A flight leaves about every five minutes and the gate area resembles what the counter area at a McDonald’s would be if they were giving away all-you-can-eat french fries.

When your flight is called, you scramble downstairs or to an escalator to a door that leads to … a shuttle bus. About 20 commuter jets, CRJ’s, are lined up on the tarmac like Air Force Bombers at Wright Patterson AFB.

You board the bus and it takes you to your plane, but there are many, many shuttle buses weaving in and out of airplanes. It’s an Indy 500 for shuttle buses. I spent more time on the bus, which sat and sat and sat, than I did on the flight from Washington to Kansas City this morning.

AND WHATEVER happened to pillows and blankets on airplanes? If they are going to keep the plane temperature at North Pole level, they need blankets. By the end of the flight I needed an ice pick to get out of my seat. And without a pillow I had a stiff neck.

Travel? I just love it these days.

OK, NOT that I’ve purchased a cab and seen the Kansas City backwoods, how about some baseball.

What great reporters we Cincinnati beat writers are. With the three games in Kansas City this weekend, the Reds will use a designated hitter. None of us thought to ask manager Dusty Baker who would be the Reds DH. Probably because we’re not used to the DH and don’t think about it.

Before Baker posted his lineup today, I pondered the question. Kansas City is pitching a righthander so I thought it probably would be Chris Dickerson.

Wrong, rosin bag-breath. It’s Jonny Gomes.

DESPITE GOING 0-for-Washington (0 for 14) and 0 for his last 24, Willy Taveras was back at the leadoff spot Friday.

THE MOST AMAZING thing of all right now about the Reds is that they were 4-4 over their last eight games. Why amazing? They have hit .204 in those eight games and scored 27 runs, 3.38 per game.

How can this be? The pitching staff has a 2.48 ERA over those eight games and the starters have a 1.86 ERA.

THIS IS THE REDS’ first appearance in Kansas City since 1999 when the Reds and Royals played the first interleague doubleheader. It wasn’t scheduled. The first game never got started because of a power outage. All the lights went out. So the game was postponed and they played a doubleheader the next night.

Pitcher Steve Parris, the scheduled starting pitcher that night, actually sat on the Reds’ dugout, with lightning dancing all around, and signed every autograph anybody asked for. And he did it by himself.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/12/i_hadnt_been_to_kansas.html

Homer Bailey
06-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Ready for some Dustification?

From Fay:

ON THE LINEUP: Willy Taveras was back in the leadoff spot after hitting second the last two games.

Taveras is hitless in his last 24 at-bats and 1-for-his-last-29.

“He’s one of the few guys who has faced this club,” Baker said. “He played interleague two years in a row here.”

Alex Gonzalez was in the second in lineup.

“Gonzo is swinging good,” Baker said.

Gonzalez went 5-for-12 with two doubles in the Washington series. He’s 7-for-20 over his last five games.

Willy is 0 for 4 against the awful Luke Hochever. So let's put him back at leadoff!

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 01:38 AM
It wasn't all Hochevar
Posted by JohnFay at 6/12/2009 11:17 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds gave Luke Hochevar the obligatory tip of the hat after he handed them their bats Friday night. Hochevar beat the Reds 4-1 with an 80-pitch complete game.

“An 80-pitch CG,” Jonny Gomes said. “He didn’t even get any breaks. He did it all on his own. You’ve got to tip your hat and be glad he’s not pitching tomorrow.”

The way the Reds are going whomever is pitching tomorrow has a chance to be special. Consider:

The last four games they've faced Ross Detwiler (0-2, 5.23 ERA) coming in), Shairon Martis (5-1, 5.31 ERA), John Lannan (3-5, 3.68 ERA) and Hochevar (1-2, 7.85). They've scored six runs over 26 innings while the aforementioned pitchers were in the game. That punches up to 2.08 ERA.

Pretty punchless, eh?

None of the lineup shakeups have helped because no one is hitting.

I'd be shocked if the Reds made a player move before Monday's off day. Based on the early post, my best guess is Joey Votto won't be back until late next week at earliest. Although with Willy Taveras's hamstring still hurting, I would not be shocked if he ended up the DL. He's 0-for-his-last-28.

The only consolation the Reds can take is the rest of division is stinking it up as well. The Cubs and Cardinals lost Friday. The Brewers won. So the Reds are 2 1/2 back in third, one behind the Cards and one ahead of the Cubs. Not bad for a team that hitting .189 for the month of June

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a072dcdf2-1bab-4571-ad37-18a81b9da71d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Royals’ Hochevar barbecues the Reds
By Hal McCoy | Friday, June 12, 2009, 08:24 PM

ANY OF YOU remember a song by country singer Ferlin Husky called, “Since You’ve Gone?” OK, even I’m too young to remember Ferlin Husky, but my dad was a country singer and he used to sing that song.

Now the Reds can apply it to Joey Votto. Since he’s been gone, the Reds have scored 37 runs in 13 games - 2.85 game. And they are 5-7. It could be worse.

But it couldn’t be much worse than what happened Friday night in Kansas City. Some guy named Luke Hochevar took a 1-2 record and a 7.85 ERA to the mound. With the Reds flailing at everything he threw up there, he needed only 80 pitches for his complete-game three-hitter.

SIX PITCHES in the first inning for three outs. Six pitches in the second innings for three outs. FOUR pitches in the ninth for three outs. The Reds acted as if they had to catch the last bus out of town and they weren’t about to miss it.

Of the three hits, two were by DH Jonny Gomes (and Hochevar is right handed), a double and a home run. Gomes has 10 homers in 68 at-bats against the Royals. But he couldn’t help his friends.

“I’ve got no magic formula for the rest of the guys,” he said.

THE REDS are not going to win with Willy Taveras at the top of the order with a 0 for 28 on his work sheet?

THE REDS are not going to win with Jay Bruce on a 5 for 48 slide.

THE REDS are not going to win with Adam Rosales on a 3 for 32 skid.

THE REDS are not going to win by scoring 10 runs in their last four games.

OK, enough babbling about what isn’t happening.
THEY PUT $225 million into renovations on Kauffman Stadium and I say, “Why?” this ballpark was built in 1973 and they did it correctly from the start. It is just like Dodger Stadium, a gem that is kept so clean you can eat pudding off the floors.

The fountains and waterfalls help take away how bad the Royals are. Watch the water, ignore the Royals - except, I guess, when they play the Reds.

But as one Royals official said, “It is like a nice home that is 37 years old - the plumbing goes bad.” Well, maybe I won’t eat off the floor.

Cincinnati Reds media relations Rob Butcher’s brother, Pat, works in the Royals box score producing the box score and the statistics for Major League Baseball. With Pat sititng near Rob, he only has to account for eight other brothers and sisters.

Did I ever tell you Rob’s mother, Rita, makes the best strawberry pie and chicken dumplings in America? Yeah, I know I did - a hundred times. Just want to make certain I’m not forgotten when the pie and chicken appear in the press box.

MATT MALONEY’S no-hitter and shutout disappeared in the first inning Friday when Royals first baseman Billy Butler hit a 422-foot home run that nearly landed in one of the cascading water falls in left-center.

The Reds went out 1-2-3 in the first two innings Friday and a Kansas City writer said, “‘Twelve pitches in two innings? This guy has no command (pitcher Luke Hochevar). Guess the Reds don’t believe that a walk is as good as hit?” Well, c’mon fella, the Reds did get one walk.

WHERE ELSE but Kansas City would they have BBQ-flavored sunflower seeds in the clubhouse and dugout?

FORMER Kansas City infielder Frank White, one of baseball truly nice guys, is now a Royals broadcaster and he introduced himself to me in the Reds clubhouse beofre Frikday’s game by saying, “Somebody was just telling me about you.” Then he was distracted by somebody else and never told me what they were talking about. Maybe they saw me wandering aimlessly outside the stadium trying to find my way in when I tripped over a garbage can and ended up with a dirty paper napkin on my head.

FORMER CINCINNATI broadcaster Steve Stewart now works in Kansas City and the players aren’t too happy with him right now. On a trip coming out of Toronto something was wrong with Stewart’s passport and the entire Royals traveling party was detained. What was wrong with it? Stewart takes so long to tell a short story that nobody let him finish.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/12/they_put_225_million_into.html

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Rehabbing Volquez starts long-tossing
Return timetable remains uncertain for Reds righty
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

06/12/09 7:50 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- Injured Reds starter Edinson Volquez has done his first throwing since going on the disabled list with right elbow tendinitis.

Back in Cincinnati on Thursday, Volquez long-tossed and made 25 throws at a distance of 60 feet. He was scheduled to do likewise Friday.

"He said he's had no problem with his elbow, his forearm -- nothing. He felt fine," Reds pitching coach Dick Pole said before Friday Interleague series opener with the Royals.

On June 1 at St. Louis during his first start back from being on the 15-day disabled list with back spasms, Volquez lasted just 24 pitches over one inning. He felt numbness in his fingers.

The next day, the 25-year-old Volquez was diagnosed with tendinitis and placed back on the DL. He was ordered not to pick up a baseball for 7-10 days.

Although eligible for activation from the DL on Wednesday, there was no timetable known yet for when Volquez could return to pitch for the Reds.

"He'll probably take a couple of days, and when we get back, we'll see where we are as far as getting him on a mound," Pole said. "We'll see how he feels when we get back."

Lefty Matt Maloney took Volquez's place in the rotation and made his second start Friday vs. the Royals.

In nine starts this season, Volquez is 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090612&content_id=5293404&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Ron Madden
06-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Seems like Hal is more of a "Travel Guide" than a "Baseball beat Writer" nowdays.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
From Lance:

Sounds like a broken record to me
Royals 4 Reds 1
3 hit by Cy Young....an 80 pitch complete game.
Just the 5th pitcher since 2000 to throw a CG in 80 pitches or less.
The Reds have scored 10 runs in their last 4 games.....and 19 runs in their last 8 games.
The Wily "Table Setter" Taveras went 0-4 and is now 0 for his last 28 and 1 for his last 33.
Taveras during his 14 game hit streak: 24-59 .407 avg (Reds record 10-4)
Taveras in other 46 games: 22-138 .159 avg (Reds record 21-25)
Since scoring 6,6 and 8 in a three game sweep of Houston (May 25-27), the Reds have scored just 44 runs in their last 14 game: 4,3,3,4,1,1,9,2,5,2,5,2,2,1. An average of 3.18 runs per game. And consider, if you add in extra innings (11,14,12), the Reds have played 10 more innings in the stretch.They are 5-9 in this stretch.
The pitching has allowed just 53 runs in the last 14 games....3.78 runs per.
The Reds defense let them down again.....a poor play by Rosales at 3B and Hernandez at 1B.
The beat goes on..........

dsmith421
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
It's funny how much McAllister flip-flops... A couple of days ago it was be patient, wait til Joey gets back, they'll be fine blah blah blah... Now he's back in gotta do something mode. Isn't the "gotta do something" camp where most Redszoners have been since last October?

He's an absolute buffoon.

But he is right about one thing: Willy Taveras is the worst player in the Major Leagues. I thought the days of the Reds actively pursuing the worst player in baseball (Castro, Womack) were over.

nate
06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
He's an absolute buffoon.

But he is right about one thing: Willy Taveras is the worst player in the Major Leagues. I thought the days of the Reds actively pursuing the worst player in baseball (Castro, Womack) were over.

Don't forget Corey Patterson!

:cool:

_Sir_Charles_
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Look who's on the front page of the MLB section of ESPN.com. Our very own Danny Ray Herrera. :O)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=4251819

I am 5-foot-5. This is relevant for one reason: On Wednesday, I stood next to Danny Herrera (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=29151). He is 1 inch taller than I. And he is a good relief pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cin).
"I'm 5-6," Herrera said. "My first year of professional ball, I listed myself as 5-8, but they had me at 5-8, 145 pounds. That made me feel like I was some frail guy, which I'm not. I weigh 165, 170 pounds. I used to lie about my height, but I don't do that anymore. I am 5-foot-6."
Herrera is the shortest major league pitcher -- according to listings, which aren't always accurate -- since 5-6 Bobby Shantz, who retired after the 1964 season with 119 victories and an American League Most Valuable Player award in 1952. Herrera, 24, is no Shantz, but as a left-handed specialist, he has a 1.96 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 23 innings.

[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0612/mlb_u_herrera_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=4251819#) Mark J. Rebilas/US PresswireHerrera has held left-handed batters to a .216 average and .351 slugging percentage.

"The first time I saw him was last year during the week of the Kentucky Derby, and we figured he would have to leave the team that Saturday to go ride one of the horses," said Nationals outfielder Adam Dunn (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4808), who was Herrera's teammate last season in Cincinnati. "I've never faced him. But I haven't faced anyone his size since I was 11 or 12 years old."
Herrera has heard it all and seen it all.
"The best one was last year," he said. "I was at [Triple-A] Louisville. One of our catchers, Albert Colina, who is a really big guy, picked me up and put me in his lap as he sat in the bullpen. Then he stuck his arm inside my jacket, and up my back. He wouldn't let me go. I thought, 'What is he doing?' Then, whenever I would talk, he would move his lips. Everyone was cracking up. He was the ventriloquist, and I was puppet. That was the best one."
One of the great beauties of baseball is that the players come in all shapes and sizes more than in any other major sport. Even pitchers. Longtime player and manager Sparky Anderson once said, "There's nothing better than a big pitcher," but the game has had its share of short or small pitchers, including, among others, Clark Griffith, Shantz, Whitey Ford, Ron Guidry, John Franco, Billy Wagner (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3375), Mike Hampton (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=2836), Tim Hudson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4084), Tim Lincecum (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28705) and Pedro Martinez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=2717). In his first year of pro ball, Martinez weighed 138 pounds and threw 93 mph. Legend has it that Steve Dalkowski, who never played in the major leagues, was the hardest thrower ever. He was 5-9.
"It's genetics; you are born to throw a baseball. You are born with how hard you can throw," said Tom House, a former major league pitcher and pitching coach who knows more about the throwing of a baseball than anyone alive. "Big, tall pitchers, the levers are longer and require more strength to get the middle finger to the release point. Actually, it is easier for a smaller person. I use the golf analogy. How many 7-foot golfers are out there?"
Wagner, who is maybe 5-10 and throws 100 mph, once said, "It's neat for these bigger guys to come up and say, 'How are you doing what you're doing?' That's the biggest question people ask me, 'How do you throw so hard?' I work a little bit, and God has blessed me. Did you ever see guys' eyes pop out when they see what's coming out of that arm?"
Only in baseball can Wagner throw even harder than Randy Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=2131), who is 6-10.
"I received an award at a banquet with Randy in 1999; he had just won the Cy Young," Wagner said. "I'm a huge Randy fan, and he's up there talking about how short I am. He leaves the microphone way high. So when I get up to talk, the mike is over my head."
Herrera knows that feeling very well. When he went to high school, he was 5-5, 140 pounds, with high hopes.
"I have a brother who is 6 feet tall and almost 200 pounds," he said. "My dad is 5-10. I figured I was going to grow at some point. But the height never came."
He was undrafted out of high school but pitched at the University of New Mexico. He was so good during his junior year that a scout told him he would be drafted somewhere between the 20th and 30th rounds.
"I knew that wasn't going to happen," Herrera said. The Rangers selected him in the 45th round of the 2006 draft.
"One of the area scouts made an impassioned plea to take this guy, you know, when we give the area guys a chance to take a flier on a guy, a gut pick," said Buck Showalter, then the Rangers' manager. "He said, 'He has an out pitch, he's left-handed and has the heart of a lion. We asked, 'What's wrong?'"
"He's 5-6," the scout said.
But the first time Showalter saw Herrera throw, he said, "He will pitch in the big leagues."
That came last season, a year after the Rangers had sent Herrera to Cincinnati in the Josh Hamilton (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4652) trade. In his first major league game, he entered with the bases loaded and no outs against the Phillies. He got Shane Victorino (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5409) to ground out to the shortstop and then, after intentionally walking Chase Utley (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5383), struck out Ryan Howard (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6097) and Pat Burrell (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4214).
"The little guy has big guts," Reds pitching coach Dick Pole said. "He's not afraid of anything."
He's not afraid to laugh. "When I first got to the big leagues, we went to Minute Maid Park in Houston," Herrera said. "I went to the players entrance, and they wouldn't let me in. They said, 'Your entrance is over there.' They thought I worked at the park, like in concessions. So I walked all around the ballpark and couldn't find the entrance they told me about. Finally I said, 'This is where I'm supposed to go in.' And the same guy said, 'No, I told you that your entrance is over there.' Sometimes, it's good to flash your ID card."
Reds infielder/outfielder Jerry Hairston (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3966) laughed.
"The first time I saw him, I thought he was the bucket guy, you know, the bat boy," he said. "Then I saw him get on the mound, and I said, 'What?' We used to kid around with him, but not anymore because he's really good. He's got the biggest heart on the team. He's not a 95 mph guy, but guys don't like facing him. Hitters like to be comfortable. They like familiarity. They don't get that looking at him standing on top of the mound. He is a carrot in front of their face. They want to swing as hard as they can against him, then they strike out, or roll over and hit a ground ball to third. He's gone under the radar … literally."
Herrera throws an 84-85 mph fastball that he always sinks or cuts. He throws a slurve, a changeup and his out pitch, a screwball, which almost no one throws but Herrera has been throwing since 2005. He needed another pitch because he lacked velocity.
"It took me a year and a half to get it in the strike zone consistently," he said. "Hitters don't often see one."
Nor do hitters see anyone his size standing on the mound.
"I get some strange reactions from hitters when they see me for the first time," he said. "But to me, it's not about size. I'm just another pitcher who is trying to get the hitters out."
He is not just another pitcher.
"He is rare," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He has a big heart and an iron stomach. There is a super athlete in that little body. He can pitch, he can field his position and he can hit. I needed someone who can bunt. I asked him, and he said, 'Of course I can bunt.' He's a great kid. I've patted him on the butt after he pitches really well. It has been a long time since I've reached that low to pat a butt. And you know what his nickname is, don't you?"
No, what?
Baker smiled and said, "Shorty."

nate
06-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Awesome article. Dr. H is becoming one of my favorite Reds.

Brutus
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Awesome article. Dr. H is becoming one of my favorite Reds.

If he can simply harness his control consistently, he'll stick on this level. His stuff, beyond of course velocity, is tremendous. I think the funniest thing is watching hitters after he strikes them out. Almost every single one of them look back and stare at him as they're walking back to the dugout as if to say, "you just got me out? Really?"

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
If the Reds needed a starting pitcher . . .
Posted by JohnFay at 6/13/2009 2:40 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds' problem lately has been scoring and a frightening lack thereof. But if they needed someone to plug someone into the rotation, they'd have several good choice in the minors. Two pitched last night:

--Homer Bailey went 8 2/3 shutout innings for Louisville. He allowed six hits, struck out nine and walked two. Over his last three starts, he's gone 23 1/3 innings and allowed one run on 17 hits. He's struck out 23 and walked four. He's 6-5 with a 3.13 ERA overall.

--Travis Wood, a left-hander, went seven shutout innings for Carolina. He allowed one hit -- I think he took a no-hitter to the sixth -- walked one and struck out nine. Over his five starts, he's gone 36 innings and allowed two runs on 19 hits. He's struck out 34 and walked four. He's 6-3 with a 1.11 ERA overall.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5d2dca1d-f22f-447f-8ca0-e4f131fd106d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=qN/UUaaLp17XlC+fN5JtMEq3zJMVvPj8cv3HZIQc0dI%3D

reds44
06-13-2009, 05:02 PM
WE'RE GOING STREAKING
Jay Bruce............................... 5-for-47
Chris Dickerson......... ..296 in last 25g
Jonny Gomes............... .462 in last 5g
Alex Gonzalez.............. .304 in last 6g
Jerry Hairston Jr..... 3-game hit streak
Ryan Hanigan............... .286 in last 6g
Ramon Hernandez.. 0-for-18, 2-for-29
Paul Janish............................. 3-for-19
Laynce Nix............................. 3-for-22
Brandon Phillips....... . .318 since April
Adam Rosales......................... 3-for-32
Willy Taveras........... 0-for-28, 1-for-33
Team............... .175 in last 8g (49-280)

Big Klu
06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
WE'RE GOING STREAKING
Jay Bruce............................... 5-for-47
Chris Dickerson......... ..296 in last 25g
Jonny Gomes............... .462 in last 5g
Alex Gonzalez.............. .304 in last 6g
Jerry Hairston Jr..... 3-game hit streak
Ryan Hanigan............... .286 in last 6g
Ramon Hernandez.. 0-for-18, 2-for-29
Paul Janish............................. 3-for-19
Laynce Nix............................. 3-for-22
Brandon Phillips....... . .318 since April
Adam Rosales......................... 3-for-32
Willy Taveras........... 0-for-28, 1-for-33
Team............... .175 in last 8g (49-280)

It's a grab bag, but the lineup I would use for tonight is:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Bruce rf
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c
Rosales 1b

Though I would have to think long and hard about this one:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes 1b
Bruce rf
Owings dh
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c

mth123
06-13-2009, 05:52 PM
It's a grab bag, but the lineup I would use for tonight is:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Bruce rf
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c
Rosales 1b

Though I would have to think long and hard about this one:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes 1b
Bruce rf
Owings dh
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c

I like your second one, but I'd flip flop Hanigan and Hairston. Hanigan seems like an ideal guy for the 2 hole on this team. Hairston in the 9 spot still provides the speed duo of Hairston and Dickerson back to back but the better on base guy likely gets the additional PA.

Big Klu
06-13-2009, 06:00 PM
I like your second one, but I'd flip flop Hanigan and Hairston. Hanigan seems like an ideal guy for the 2 hole on this team. Hairston in the 9 spot still provides the speed duo of Hairston and Dickerson back to back but the better on base guy likely gets the additional PA.

I've been thinking about Hanigan in the #2 spot, too, but I wanted to try it against a lefty starter first. I think it's a good idea, though. The biggest thing that worries me about the second lineup is Gomes' defense at 1B.

mth123
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
This may not be the right place for it, but is Hairston hurting? I'm not a huge fan, but right now he's one of the team's better options (sad but true) and he's sitting again tonight I believe.

Big Klu
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
This may not be the right place for it, but is Hairston hurting? I'm not a huge fan, but right now he's one of the team's better options (sad but true) and he's sitting again tonight I believe.

I haven't seen an actual game lineup yet, but if Jerry isn't in there, then I have to think he's banged up.

My lineup (if JHJ is unavailable):

Dickerson cf
Hanigan c
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes 1b
Bruce rf
Owings dh
Gonzalez ss
Janish 3b

OR:

Dickerson cf
Hanigan c
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Bruce rf
Gonzalez ss
Rosales 1b
Janish 3b

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Dusty may have benched him for a couple days for that boneheaded play he made in Washington on Thursday.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Talking to Jocketty
Posted by JohnFay at 6/13/2009 5:52 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I talked to Walt Jocketty for my Sunday Insider for the paper. I'm writing it now. Here's the nutgraph, as they say in journalism:

Right now, I don’t know if Jocketty is being brave, patient, foolish or if he just doesn’t have any options. But it sounds like Jocketty is going to ride out the Reds current offensive woes without shaking things up.

Here's what Jocketty had to say:

Would you look toward the minors for help? “We’ll look at it,” Jocketty said. “Hopefully, we’ll get some guys going again. There’s a couple of guys starting to do some things at Louisville. The main thing up until the last week or so, we were holding our own. I’m still confident these guys will snap out.”

Without putting a firm timetable in Joey Votto, Jocketty indicated that Reds expect Votto back in the relatively near future: “I think at some point in the next few weeks we’ll see him,” Jocketty said. “Like I mentioned yesterday, there’s no timetable. We’re really not pointing to that. We’re really not waiting for that.”

Is to point where the Reds need to look outside the organization? “I’ve looked but there’s not a lot going on right now,” he said. “Clubs are still trying to access where they’re at.”

There was a report that the Reds ware looking for a third baseman: “You didn’t hear that from me,” Jocketty said. “We’re looking for Edwin (Encarnacion) to come back.”

But that’s a few weeks off: “Probably,” he said. “As soon he’s ready, he’ll play a little bit (in the minors).”

Would you be more apt to make a move if the team wasn’t holding on in the standings? “That’s a good question,” Jocketty said, “because outside the organization, there’s no much going on. We really haven’t seen anyone we want to bring up right now. We have some guys we may want to look at later. Right now, we’re not going to do that.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3abd8a30f0-7fb8-43d6-b49d-4eba44f3161f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

mth123
06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen an actual game lineup yet, but if Jerry isn't in there, then I have to think he's banged up.

My lineup (if JHJ is unavailable):

Dickerson cf
Hanigan c
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes 1b
Bruce rf
Owings dh
Gonzalez ss
Janish 3b

OR:

Dickerson cf
Hanigan c
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Bruce rf
Gonzalez ss
Rosales 1b
Janish 3b

CF leads off and SS bats second. Dickerson isn't playing.

Benihana
06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Talking to Jocketty
Posted by JohnFay at 6/13/2009 5:52 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I talked to Walt Jocketty for my Sunday Insider for the paper. I'm writing it now. Here's the nutgraph, as they say in journalism:

Right now, I don’t know if Jocketty is being brave, patient, foolish or if he just doesn’t have any options. But it sounds like Jocketty is going to ride out the Reds current offensive woes without shaking things up.

Here's what Jocketty had to say:

Would you look toward the minors for help? “We’ll look at it,” Jocketty said. “Hopefully, we’ll get some guys going again. There’s a couple of guys starting to do some things at Louisville. The main thing up until the last week or so, we were holding our own. I’m still confident these guys will snap out.”

Without putting a firm timetable in Joey Votto, Jocketty indicated that Reds expect Votto back in the relatively near future: “I think at some point in the next few weeks we’ll see him,” Jocketty said. “Like I mentioned yesterday, there’s no timetable. We’re really not pointing to that. We’re really not waiting for that.”

Is to point where the Reds need to look outside the organization? “I’ve looked but there’s not a lot going on right now,” he said. “Clubs are still trying to access where they’re at.”

There was a report that the Reds ware looking for a third baseman: “You didn’t hear that from me,” Jocketty said. “We’re looking for Edwin (Encarnacion) to come back.”

But that’s a few weeks off: “Probably,” he said. “As soon he’s ready, he’ll play a little bit (in the minors).”

Would you be more apt to make a move if the team wasn’t holding on in the standings? “That’s a good question,” Jocketty said, “because outside the organization, there’s no much going on. We really haven’t seen anyone we want to bring up right now. We have some guys we may want to look at later. Right now, we’re not going to do that.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3abd8a30f0-7fb8-43d6-b49d-4eba44f3161f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

After reading that article, if I didn't know better I'd think Dan O'Brien is still running this team. :rolleyes:

Scrap Irony
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM

Drew Sutton seems to be the next contestant on the Louisville-Cincinnati shuttle. And perhaps Stubbs?

Big Klu
06-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Well, I'm not going to get into the discussion/argument about long-term changes that may or may not need to be made, but I would make a few immediate changes for tomorrow's lineup based on current personnel:

1) Three position players have not played in either of the two games in KC--Janish, Hairston, and Dickerson. All three would start Sunday, provided they are healthy enough.

2) IMO, both catchers are gassed. With the upcoming off day on Monday, the Reds can give both of them a two-day rest--one of them Sunday/Monday, and the other on Monday/Tuesday. Therefore, I would give Hanigan the day off on Sunday, since he has been doing most of the catching lately. Hernandez starts behind the plate on Sunday. Rosales starts at 1B. (Not that he should be in there, but someone has to play the position.)

3) Gonzalez and Bruce sit. I would like to sit Nix as well, but we don't have enough bodies on the bench to replace everybody. With Bruce getting Sunday off, Jonny Gomes starts in the OF, and Micah Owings starts as the DH.

Lineup:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Gomes lf
Nix rf
Hernandez c
Owings dh
Rosales 1b
Janish ss

It won't be any worse.

Homer Bailey
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
It just keeps getting worse.....

Phillips vs. Baker
Posted by JohnFay at 6/13/2009 11:26 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

What's worse? Missing a sign? Or ignoring a sign?

Brandon Phillips came to the plate with runners at first and second – both had reached on walks – and two outs in the fifth inning Saturday night with the Reds down two runs.

The count went to 3-0. Third base coach Mark Berry relayed manager Dusty Baker’s take sign.

“To tell the truth, I didn’t even look down there,” Phillips said. “I was trying to make something happen.”

Phillips flied meekly to right to end the inning.

The Reds would go on to lose 7-4 to the Royals. The Reds have lost three straight. They are just one game over .500 at 31-30. They need to win to tomorrow for a break-ever road trip.

Baker was livid afterward not because of the big picture, but because of Phillips’ indiscretion.

“Brandon was supposed to be taking 3-0,” Baker said. “That could have been the ball game. We had (K.C. starter Kyle Davies) on the ropes. (Phillips) said he didn’t see the sign. In that situation, you’re supposed to know to take.

“That’s a big play in the ballgame. You’ve got to know the score, the inning, the situation.”

Phillips decided to try to lift the offense on his own. The Reds are in the thick of team-wide slump. They’ve scored 40 runs in the last 14 games.

“We was struggling. We wasn’t getting no one on base,” Phillips said. “We weren’t hitting with runners in scoring position. I had an opportunity. I swung 3-0.

“He threw me a nice cutter. If I would have come through, it would have been the best play of the year. I tried to make something happen. For future reference, I will not do it again. I apologized to everybody: My bad for a 3-0 swing. I tried to make something happen.”

“I respect my teammates,” Phillips said. “They see what’s going on. We ain’t faced anyone who’s overmatched us. We haven’t been facing No. 1 pitchers. Our team is too damn good to be getting beat by the pitchers we face. We should be undefeated on this road trip.”

With the way the offensive is going, they really shouldn’t be.

The biggest sign of futility: Leadoff man Willy Taveras went 0-for-4. He’s not on an 0-for-32 skid. That’s the longest by a Red since Denis Menke went 0-for -33 in the 1973.

“It ain’t easy to watch,” Baker said. “We got go back to the drawing board.”

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't blame Dusty one bit for being ticked. That was a horrible atbat by Phillips. Davies had just walked Gonzalez and missed badly with every pitch, and then Phillips gets ahead 3-0 and swings at ball four on 3-0. If he takes that pitch, the bases are loaded for Laynce Nix in a situation where a single ties the game. This team makes a ton of dumb mistakes, like that play by Hairston in Washington on Thursday and then Phillips swinging at a bad 3-0 pitch tonight.

Big Klu
06-14-2009, 12:57 AM
In that case, if I were Dusty I would accept his apology, but I would also sit him a game so that he can think about his mistake. Everybody needs to understand that nobody is immune from the consequences for that kind of mental blunder. Gonzo is back in there.

Lineup:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 2b
Gomes lf
Nix rf
Hernandez c
Gonzalez ss
Owings dh
Rosales 1b
Janish 3b

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Janish impressed

Baker, Paul Janish, Jay Bruce, Chris Dickerson, Taveras, Carlos Fisher and Hanigan visited the Negro Baseball Museum earlier on Saturday.

“Loved it, so much user-friendly stuff,” said Janish. “It was incredible, some of the pictures, how big some of those guys were and how big their hands were. And they never lifted a weight in their lives. It put stuff in perspective for me because I didn’t know a whole lot about it, how ridiculous their hardships were about going from place to place and not being able to stay in hotels or eat in restaurants.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/huge-kc-scoreboard-distracts-catchers-162284.html

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't blame Dusty one bit for being ticked. That was a horrible atbat by Phillips. Davies had just walked Gonzalez and missed badly with every pitch, and then Phillips gets ahead 3-0 and swings at ball four on 3-0. If he takes that pitch, the bases are loaded for Laynce Nix in a situation where a single ties the game. This team makes a ton of dumb mistakes, like that play by Hairston in Washington on Thursday and then Phillips swinging at a bad 3-0 pitch tonight.

I agree. But...at least Phillips did apologize and said moving forward he would correct it. You gotta give him the benefit of the doubt I think. At least until it happens again (which it hopefully won't).

redsfandan
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I've been thinking about Hanigan in the #2 spot, too, but I wanted to try it against a lefty starter first. I think it's a good idea, though. The biggest thing that worries me about the second lineup is Gomes' defense at 1B.
I'd be concerned as well since he's never played 1st (at least as a pro). I kinda wish he could have seen a few games there in the minors so we could know if he could be an option.

Boss-Hog
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
All,

I've decided to close this thread (along with the "2009 Postgame Updates" thread) because a large amount of the posts are generating discussion that should be documented in other threads. That's absolutely a good thing and I'd like it to continue. However, I don't think having two threads to discuss just about any topic is such a good idea; I'd prefer individual threads be started for the topics.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM.