PDA

View Full Version : June 2009 Miscellaneous Reds updates

Pages : [1] 2

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Might as well go ahead and start the new thread since June is only hours away...

Swept.

What a lousy weekend this turned out to be for the Reds, eh?

Sunday's 5-2 loss to the Brewers was the worst of the last three games because it seemed like the Reds had unlimited chances, especially after Micah Owings settled down from his early bumpy innings. The Reds were 3-for-16 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 men on base.

Cue the collective groan.

Cincinnati came into the weekend feeling their oats and talking about first place. In three games, they dropped from 1 1/2 games out to 3 1/2 games out. In something that didn't seem as likely a few weeks ago, they've dropped six in a row on the road. A four-game sweep of the Cardinals is the only way to get a winning seven-game trip. That's an awfully tall order.

Second baseman Brandon Phillips still had his swagger after Sunday's game. He hit his second homer in two games since returning to the lineup (fractured thumb).

"Honestly, it sucks real bad," Phillips said. "I feel like we're a better team than the Brewers. They executed better than we did. They did the little things. We didn't do the little things the last two games. That's why they won. We just have to learn from this and make sure we don't take it to St. Louis or it will happen again."

More Phillips: "We just weren't the Reds this series. They came here ready because they knew we were ready. They saw us coming right behind them. Somebody had to step their game up. It was either going to be them or be us. It was them. They're a good team but we're better."

Just a few days ago on this blog, I talked about the confidence and optimsm and the club being six games over .500 It seemed like the Reds were on to something different than I've seen around here. Let's face it, they were out of contention by Mother's Day the last two years.

Personally, I don't believe this is the beginning of the end of the season. The now 26-23 Reds have prevented long losing streaks and haven't lost more than four in a row yet. Obviously, Edinson Volquez has a big game facing him right away as he comes off the DL Monday.

This team seems to rally when adversity strikes and coming off Joey Votto's departure and the Milwaukee sweep, this is yet another test to pass.

Will they pass it this time? Let me hear from you.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

SirFelixCat
06-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Who is being sent down now that Volquez is supposed to start, ie. come off the DL, tomorrow?

Jpup
06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
A lot of losing is going to go on in June unless the pitching goes lights out and Votto comes back ready to go. I was starting to feel good about this team until Friday Night. With Votto out and no help coming, it completely changed my feelings about the season. They can still play well, but they need some help.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
A lot of losing is going to go on in June unless the pitching goes lights out and Votto comes back ready to go. I was starting to feel good about this team until Friday Night. With Votto out and no help coming, it completely changed my feelings about the season. They can still play well, but they need some help.

I agree completely. That was when it broke. We Reds fans know when the tide has turned--we can feel it deep down. And while my thread about the double-helix was a joke in tone, the truth is the Reds really do need to answer some questions, potentially as early as when they return home after St. Louis. A sweep by the Cardinals will likely end the season: two teams in their own division who are clearly better than the Reds is not a signal to go ahead and add payroll to contend down the stretch. Arroyo and Harang, while a benefit for the most part, aren't getting younger and could be (and likely will be in the case of Arroyo) below average arms; Owings is the answer to no question; a lot of age and money tied up in the bullpen as well. While the offense is young and fairly inexpensive for the most part, the question of EdE needs to be decided as does Votto's issue (though they know more than the fans, so obviously we can't know if his issue is career-threatening or not). Most of the questions though remain centered on the pitching. Three-fifths of this rotation may be gone as soon as next year (and nothing in the minors). Harang will likely stick around, I'm sure, but that means the Reds should probably be looking for someone who is better than Harang (or at bare minimum as good as he is). Big questions loom; a finer point can't be put on that.

traderumor
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't know that returning home 1 under .500 would be the end of the season in this division. I will be surprised to see either the Cards or Brewers take off. This is still a 90 win division, and I would not write off the season after this roadtrip. A lot is contingent on the return of Votto or a significant trade to help alleviate the loss of his production in the short term.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't know that returning home 1 under .500 would be the end of the season in this division. I will be surprised to see either the Cards or Brewers take off. This is still a 90 win division, and I would not write off the season after this roadtrip. A lot is contingent on the return of Votto or a significant trade to help alleviate the loss of his production in the short term.

If the Reds get swept in St. Louis, they could be 7 1/2 games out of first. The season would be over.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
You got questions, I've got answers -- or at least time to kill
Posted by JohnFay at 6/1/2009 8:29 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

My 6 a.m. flight didn't take off until 6:45 due to mechanical problems. That would have blown my connection in the Detroit. (Thanks to the Delta-Northwest merger, I'll connecting in new and exotic places). So they rerouted me on a direct American flight. MLB.com's Mark Sheldon in his the same boat, or plane, as it were.

The flight to St. Louis isn't until 11. So I've got time to kill. I've already done the airport walk-around and had breakfast. I'm saving the USA Today crossword on the flight, so I thought I'd take question from blog land. Just post them like you would comments and I'll answer them. For example:

Question: The Reds have to make a move before tonight's game to get Edinson Volquez off the DL, who do you think gets sent out?

Answer: My guess is Jared Burton. He has options. He's given up runs in three of his last four outings. He was so good last year before he got hurt. I think the Reds have to try to figure a way to get him back to that. At Louisville, he could pitch every other day.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a2e9f8544-2697-4e61-a70b-e65855f454a2&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Masset impresses

Two major-league scouts sat in the third row of the Miller Park pressbox and were taken aback by what they saw from Reds relief pitcher Nick Masset — 1 1/3 perfect innings, two strikeouts.

“Where’d they get this guy?” asked one. Told he was part of the Ken Griffey Jr. trade last July, the scout raised his eyebrows and said, “He just threw an 88-miles-an-hour slider.” A scout sitting next to the other scout said, “And he threw an 86-miles-an-hour curveball.”

Over his last six appearances (six innings) Masset has given up no runs and two hits.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/volquez-anxious-for-start-tonight-141593.html

Fisher flourishing

Rookie Carlos Fisher is the likely choice to return to Louisville to make room for Volquez, and if that’s the case, it is a shame. He doesn’t deserve demotion.

In three appearances he has given up no runs, two hits, three walks and struck out three in four innings. The Reds could option out struggling Jared Burton, who has given up six runs and nine hits over his last four appearances (four innings).

“Definitely a good time,” said Fisher, 26, an 11th-round draft pick in 2005. “You can’t imagine how good this is. I knew it was good but it is better than I could ever have expected. The crowds are bigger and much noisier, but I don’t notice once I get on the mound. I try to do it the same way I did at Louisville — focus on the batter and the catcher and nothing more.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/volquez-anxious-for-start-tonight-141593.html

HeatherC1212
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Question: The Reds have to make a move before tonight's game to get Edinson Volquez off the DL, who do you think gets sent out?

Answer: My guess is Jared Burton. He has options. He's given up runs in three of his last four outings. He was so good last year before he got hurt. I think the Reds have to try to figure a way to get him back to that. At Louisville, he could pitch every other day.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a2e9f8544-2697-4e61-a70b-e65855f454a2&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I hope he's right. Jared hasn't been effective at all recently and even though Lincoln still scares me when he comes out of the pen, Jared scares me more at this point. That makes the most sense and hopefully that's what ends up happening today.

OBM: Thanks for starting a new Misc. thread for June. I always check this thread for the latest news (especially when I'm at work and can't check other sources during the day) and you do a great job of keeping us all up to date on things. :thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
If the Reds get swept in St. Louis, they could be 7 1/2 games out of first. The season would be over.

I couldn't disagree more. The Cards & Brewers will NOT get this good of pitching over the long haul. Both of those rotations are due for a MAJOR course correction.

I know they're in the rear view mirror, but I still believe that the Cubs are the ones we should be worried about.

The thing with the Reds this year is that with our starting pitching, it'll be hard for this team to go on sustained losing streaks. Hanging around .500 will keep us just one decent winning streak away from the top of the division. For us to still be this many games over .500 with all these recent injuries actually speaks very highly of this club IMO.

thatcoolguy_22
06-01-2009, 11:49 AM

As a fan I don't think the season would be over but, I think the FO would put adding payroll for a big push on ice (if not permanent hiatus). The longer the delay the less the chances would be to make the playoffs. So in a sense its very likely that a sweep at StL would mark the end of the season.

TRF
06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The Cards & Brewers will NOT get this good of pitching over the long haul. Both of those rotations are due for a MAJOR course correction.

I know they're in the rear view mirror, but I still believe that the Cubs are the ones we should be worried about.

This I disagree with. The Cubs are just about done. Harden cannot stay healthy, and Z is a ticking timebomb. Their offense is overrated, and suffering at multiple positions. Soto's sophomore slump, D. Lee's decline, A. Ramirez' health. He's not due back until after the ASB, and then they have no ide what he will be. He still might need surgery.

The Cubs are done. They may make some noise, but they won't contend.

The fact that EE didn't need surgery to repair his wrist was great news. he'll be an impact bat within 2 weeks of his return, and can easily post an .820 OPS. That's leaps and bounds better than what the Reds have been getting from 3B since his injury.

The Reds need health and some production from LF.

11larkin11
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Question is, when EE comes back, what do we do with Hairston? Full time LF? LF Platoon? Bench player? Quietly, Hairston is repeating his great season from last year, with less average and more power. After an awful start, he is on fire. Who sits with Dickerson, Hairston, Gomes, Nix?

lollipopcurve
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Rookie Carlos Fisher is the likely choice to return to Louisville to make room for Volquez, and if that’s the case, it is a shame. He doesn’t deserve demotion.

Burton (or Lincoln) should go. Probably Burton, since he has options. I know Baker likes to show loyalty to guys who are struggling, but at some point after spring training you need to send the message that there is still -- and always -- competition for major league jobs. They've played 50 games -- it's not early any more.

Fisher has been throwing better, so he should stay. Kind of a no brainer, in my opinion, like the McDonald-Gomes thing was.

cincrazy
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't feel any differently about this team than I did on Friday night. I think some people get too high when they win, and waaaayyyy too low when they lose. This is a scrappy team, and a more talented team than we're used to seeing around these parts. But they still aren't as good as the Cards, or the Brewers, or the Cubs, IMO. They are making strides in the right direction, and I do think they'll finish around .500 if not better. I'm not horribly discouraged by the Milwaukee series because I'm not surprised.

Not because I expect this team to fail, but because I knew they would come back down eventually. They're a mixture of young and old, still learning to play together, and still a few pieces short. So what you're going to get is moments of promise (the 7-3 road trip) and moments of big time disappointment (sweep by SD, sweep by Mil). When the Padres swept us everyone said "AAAAHHHHHH THE SEASON'S OVER!" and then we win and it's "I LOVE THIS TEAM!" Now the Reds get swept again and it's "AAAAHHHH THE SEASON'S OVER!" And if we take 3 of 4 from the Cards it's going to be "I LOVE THIS TEAM!"

Keep an even keel people ;). It's a long season. And when you have a team like this, you're going to be in for a rollercoaster ride.

Homer Bailey
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Who is going to start the "John Fay Flight Update" thread?

nate
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM

The thing with the Reds this year is that with our starting pitching, it'll be hard for this team to go on sustained losing streaks. Hanging around .500 will keep us just one decent winning streak away from the top of the division. For us to still be this many games over .500 with all these recent injuries actually speaks very highly of this club IMO.

Not to get all FCB on you (I kid, I kid!) but the Cardinals' pitching is perrforming much better than the Reds. Like, by almost every imaginable measure. The Reds and the Brewers get a lot of help from their defense. The Cardinals do too but the yeoman's work is done by their pitching. Right now, I think the Cards are the ones to beat.

The Reds need to find some offense right smarter quick.

nate
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Who is going to start the "John Fay Flight Update" thread?

You mean the "Jhon Fya flite updtae"?

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
The Cardinals pitching doesn't scare me. Joel Pineiro has a 3.86 ERA despite having allowed 73 hits in 65.1 innings and having a weak 3.44 K/9. Like Pineiro, Todd Wellemeyer has allowed a lot of hits and has a weak K/9. Kyle Lohse is decent. Carpenter is a stud but he can't stay healthy. Wainwright is a very solid pitcher. He's the Cardinals version of Aaron Harang, IMO.

Now the Cardinals offense? That's a different story. I like their offense. They've been hurt by injuries lately, but earlier in the season their offense was dangerous.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Not to get all FCB on you (I kid, I kid!) but the Cardinals' pitching is perrforming much better than the Reds. Like, by almost every imaginable measure. The Reds and the Brewers get a lot of help from their defense. The Cardinals do too but the yeoman's work is done by their pitching. Right now, I think the Cards are the ones to beat.

The Reds need to find some offense right smarter quick.

What's exceedingly bizarre is that this year's Cards' offense hasn't even taken off yet. When they do; look out.

I do think the Cards' pitching will get corrected a bit in the warm months. But their formula for success generally works: don't walk anyone. It's a solid philosophy and that's exactly what the Cards do that the Reds don't: Keep the ball in the strike zone.

Control is underrated; strikeouts are overrated.

nate
06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
What's exceedingly bizarre is that this year's Cards' offense hasn't even taken off yet. When they do; look out.

I do think the Cards' pitching will get corrected a bit in the warm months. But their formula for success generally works: don't walk anyone. It's a solid philosophy and that's exactly what the Cards do that the Reds don't: Keep the ball in the strike zone.

And that's where the Cards really excel against the Reds: BB and HR allowed.

Degenerate39
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. It's only June and they still have a good three months to play. The team will improve when they get Votto and Edwin back.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I feel this is worth mentioning on this side of the board...

Matt Maloney pitched an absolute gem in Louisville today...

8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K, 100 pitches...season ERA at AAA is at 2.04! 2.04 in 66.1 innings!!! He's had a grand total of 9 walks during that time. He has excellent control and he's a lefty.

This guy deserves a shot to pitch at the bigs...whether it be in Cincinnati or elsewhere. Seriously, his value will likely never be higher than it is now. Not to mention...Owings has sucked this year. Push Owings to the pen and give Maloney a shot and either send Burton down or DFA Lincoln. This is a must in my opinion to give this team a chance to continue to be in the hunt. Or trade Maloney and get back a player that will help now.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 01:36 PM
And that's where the Cards really excel against the Reds: BB and HR allowed.

Consider the number of one run games the Reds have played in this season, and then imagine the number of team BBs dropping by 20-30, I could see a good 3 game swing in those numbers. Game of millimeters...

(I'm looking at you Bronson, Micah, and Edinson)

nate
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Consider the number of one run games the Reds have played in this season, and then imagine the number of team BBs dropping by 20-30, I could see a good 3 game swing in those numbers. Game of millimeters...

(I'm looking at you Bronson, Micah, and Edinson)

True, but in one run games, you can look at pitching with one eye and offense with the other.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
True, but in one run games, you can look at pitching with one eye and offense with the other.

Of course, but I'm saying, just change one variable and you're looking at a profound swing.

The number of wins grows with each positive change, be it offense or pitching. I'm not just picking on the pitching, but I am saying walks are an event the pitcher can control (presumably).

TRF
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM

8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K, 100 pitches...season ERA at AAA is at 2.04! 2.04 in 66.1 innings!!! He's had a grand total of 9 walks during that time. He has excellent control and he's a lefty.

This guy deserves a shot to pitch at the bigs...whether it be in Cincinnati or elsewhere. Seriously, his value will likely never be higher than it is now. Not to mention...Owings has sucked this year. Push Owings to the pen and give Maloney a shot and either send Burton down or DFA Lincoln. This is a must in my opinion to give this team a chance to continue to be in the hunt. Or trade Maloney and get back a player that will help now.

It ended up being 9 innings 3 H 0 BB 10 K's.

traderumor
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. It's only June and they still have a good three months to play. The team will improve when they get Votto and Edwin back.FCB pronounces seasons and players "toast" with the frequency of Ohio weather changes. Of course, with the Reds in the current era, this prediction can be made on opening day with little fear of a later retraction :)

OnBaseMachine
The Reds are 5-8 in one run games. Let's take a look at the scores in those losses.

2-1
4-3
3-2
8-7
6-5
4-3
7-6
3-2

It looks like it was the offense's fault in most of the games.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
FCB pronounces seasons and players "toast" with the frequency of Ohio weather changes. Of course, with the Reds in the current era, this prediction can be made on opening day with little fear of a later retraction :)

Feel free to keep a running tab: I'll put my pronouncements up against anyone's.

Player declared toast by FCB this season: Burton (check).

Kc61
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM

I mentioned this in the minor league forum. When a starting pitching prospect is going this well at AAA he needs to be in the major leagues. You cannot let this kind of hot pitching go to waste at AAA. I don't care if Maloney comes up and fails. It is just wrong for a seasoned prospect to be going this well yet stay down at Louisville.

Bring him up, trade him, put him in the bullpen, do something.

If the Reds wait too long, they will be wasting some good pitching -- or the value that other teams will pay for it.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Stat of the day
*The Reds have started the season with back to back winning months: April (11-10)/ May (15-13).
*The last time the Reds began the season with back to back winning months was 2004:
April (12-10)/May (18-11).
*The last time the Reds began the season with at least three consecutive winnings months was 1992:
April-May-June-July
*The last time the Reds had three consecutive winning months at any point in the season was
1999 when they had five consecutive: May-June-July-August-September.
*The last time the Reds had at least three winning months during a season was 2000:
May, July, September.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

Mario-Rijo
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Feel free to keep a running tab: I'll put my pronouncements up against anyone's.

Player declared toast by FCB this season: Burton (check).

It's pretty easy to keep track of without a running tally, anytime any Reds player is ineffective we can put a check by your name.

Sea Ray
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone surprised they haven't announced a move to make room for Volquez yet?

Jpup
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone surprised they haven't announced a move to make room for Volquez yet?

It's the Reds, they will probably tell us right before the game. I wouldn't be shocked if Mike Lincoln was going to be placed on the DL.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
From Fay's Blog...

I'm in St. Louis. And the back of my neck is dirty and gritty after the walk from the train to the hotel. Rerouted flight worked out fine, although I wish I hadn't gotten up at 4 to catch an 11:30 flight. Oh, well.

Temperature under the Arch is 94 degrees. It was 59 at first pitch yesterday in Milwaukee. Welcome to the NL Central. The Cardinals are coming from San Francisco, so they'll be in for shock as well.

Still, no word of the roster move yet.

Terry Reynolds did confirm Yonder Alonso was promoted to Double-A Carolina today.

PuffyPig
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM

So you believe in the "pitch to contact" theory?

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
So you believe in the "pitch to contact" theory?

I believe in not walking batters.

Far East
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
From Fay's Blog...Yonder Alonso was promoted to Double-A Carolina today.
Faster track for Alonzo, considering Votto's situation?

Chip R
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Faster track for Alonzo, considering Votto's situation?

Could be. Even if it doesn't have anything to do with Votto, if he's killing it in A ball, you might as well move him up since he's on the 40 man and see if he has the stuff.

PuffyPig
06-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I believe in not walking batters.

That's like saying I believe in hitting HR's. No one can refute it. The fact of the matter is, if you believe in not walking hitters to the extent that you are letting them hit it to avoid walks, that's "pitch to contact".

And that's exactly how Dave Duncan describes his philosophy. And it can work in big ball parks or with teams with very good defensive efficiency ratings. And it's why it hasn't worked well for the Reds in the past.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
That's like saying I believe in hitting HR's. No one can refute it. The fact of the matter is, if you believe in not walking hitters to the extent that you are letting them hit it to avoid walks, that's "pitch to contact".

And that's exactly how Dave Duncan describes his philosophy. And it can work in big ball parks or with teams with very good defensive efficiency ratings. And it's why it hasn't worked well for the Reds in the past.

Apparently my sarcasm was a bit lost. Of course pitch to contact works. It works well with better pitchers than worse, but it beats the Reds method of walking hitters like mad. I've been sounding the bell about the Reds' terrible control since week two or three. It is exactly what's keeping the Reds from being a better pitching team. And for the first time in a long time, they've got a decent defense to back them up. Throw strikes, for crying out loud.

*BaseClogger*
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Apparently my sarcasm was a bit lost. Of course pitch to contact works. It works well with better pitchers than worse, but it beats the Reds method of walking hitters like mad. I've been sounding the bell about the Reds' terrible control since week two or three. It is exactly what's keeping the Reds from being a better pitching team. And for the first time in a long time, they've got a decent defense to back them up. Throw strikes, for crying out loud.

You think they are intentionally walking guys?

nate
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. The Reds (3.85/9) aren't the Nats (4.52/9) when it comes to BB/9 but they're maybe the best of the worst offenders.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
You think they are intentionally walking guys?

Of course not. Again, sarcasm missed. But walks are something that the pitcher controls vs. LD% FB/HR ratio, etc. I don't know why the Reds' pitchers have less control than other teams' pitchers, but some teams have figured out how to get their pitchers to throw strikes (Twins, Cardinals) and other teams can't seem to master that coaching skill.

*BaseClogger*
06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Of course not. Again, sarcasm missed. But walks are something that the pitcher controls vs. LD% FB/HR ratio, etc. I don't know why the Reds' pitchers have less control than other teams' pitchers, but some teams have figured out how to get their pitchers to throw strikes (Twins, Cardinals) and other teams can't seem to master that coaching skill.

I think you are making the mistake of clumping all of the staff's pitchers into one group and trying to analyze it that way. The Reds have plenty of starting pitchers with good control (Harang, Arroyo) but flamethrowers (Cordero) and youngsters (Volquez) have a higher tendency to walk more batters and the Reds simply have more of those kinds of pitchers than a team like the Cardinals who collect miscast arms like LeBron collects endorsment deals...

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I think you are making the mistake of clumping all of the staff's pitchers into one group and trying to analyze it that way. The Reds have plenty of starting pitchers with good control (Harang, Arroyo) but flamethrowers (Cordero) and youngsters (Volquez) have a higher tendency to walk more batters and the Reds simply have more of those kinds of pitchers than a team like the Cardinals who collect miscast arms like LeBron collects endorsment deals...

Respectfully, I don't think so. Obviously, BBs aren't the only problem with this pitching staff (jojo pointed out Arroyo's non-existent strikeouts vs. prior seasons/ Volquez is K'ing a batter less per 9 vs. last year), but they are a serious problem.

Further, the question should be asked: if the Cardinals miscast arms lead MLB in ERA, why?

VR
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Further, the question should be asked: if the Cardinals miscast arms lead MLB in ERA, why?

Chemistry?

nate
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Respectfully, I don't think so. Obviously, BBs aren't the only problem with this pitching staff (jojo pointed out Arroyo's non-existent strikeouts vs. prior seasons/ Volquez is K'ing a batter less per 9 vs. last year), but they are a serious problem.

Team K/9 BB/9 K/BB HR/9 AVG WHIP BABIP LOB% ERA FIP E-F
Cardinals 6.65 3.09 2.15 0.71 0.25 1.28 0.293 73.10% 3.6 3.87 -0.27
Reds 6.76 3.85 1.75 1.07 0.248 1.36 0.281 74.30% 4.1 4.63 -0.53
Difference 0.11 0.76 -0.4 0.36 -0.002 0.08 -0.012 0.012 0.5 0.76 -0.26I think the difference between the Cards and Reds: walks and HR.

nate
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Chemistry?

Oh, snap!

KoryMac5
06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I would imagine Dave Duncan and his coaching style has more to do with the Cardinal success than chemistry.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2009, 12:42 AM
On Volquez and resiliency
Posted by JohnFay at 6/2/2009 12:07 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Edinson Volquez said he felt a tingling sensation down his arm into his fingers after throwing a fastball to Colby Ramus in the first. He finished the inning, throwing mostly curveballs.

“It’s crazy,” he said. “I never felt it before.”

Volquez said his arm and hand felt normal after the game. He'll go back to Cincinnati and get it checked out.

The Reds will probably make a decision before tomorrow's game. They could keep Jared Burton on the roster.
Volquez did not seem overly concerned. But he's one happy-go-lucky guy.

The win was very good one for the Reds, who had lost six straight on the road.

"That was a big game for us, in a tough ballpark against a team that plays great here at home," Dusty Baker said. "That was a great game for us to win.”

The Reds equalled their win total from last year at Busch when they went 1-5.

The bullpen combined for eight innings of two-run ball. The offense came up with timely hits. Four of the five runs scored on two-out hits.

“The resiliency of this team is incredible,” center fielder Chris Dickerson said. “First Brandon (Phillips) was out, then Joey (Votto). We’ve come together and found a way to scrape and claw. Tonight, the bullpen deserves the credit. That was a great combined effort.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a97ed9353-4100-4080-aaa8-89bc897e3e69&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

VR
06-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I would imagine Dave Duncan and his coaching style has more to do with the Cardinal success than chemistry.

Bingo! We have a winner!

cincyinco
06-02-2009, 05:28 AM
I have had the same problem as volquez, only while hurling a 15 pound bowling ball. Its a weird sensation to be sure, and I've had it happen a couple of times on seperate occasions.. No injuries as far as I know, no pain..

Hope its nothing.

Jpup
06-02-2009, 07:24 AM

It's according to what kind of chemistry you are talking about. Chemistry involving needles may have something to do with it.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Volquez goes back on the DL
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 04:14 PM

Edinson Volquez is back on the DL. His examination in Cincinnati today revealed that he has tendinitis in his right elbow and he won’t even touch a baseball for the next seven to 10 days.

The tingling he talked about was a reaction from the ulnar nerve to the inflammation.

So instead of reporting to Louisville (AAA) after his option Monday, relief pitcher Jared Burton remains on the roster - pending approval by major-league baseball, which is always granted. Rules say a player optioned out cannot return for 10 days, but exceptions are made when injuries occur.

That means, though, the the Reds need a starting pitcher for Saturday. Could we see another Saturday Night Live performance by Homer Bailey, this time against the Chicago Cubs?

Turned my hotel room lopsided this morning, looking for my leather cigar case, embossed with Thompson on it. Couldn’t find it.

So I grabbed a couple of cigars and my Vince Flynn novel (Protect and Defend) and headed outside to a steel park bench behind the hotel for us decadent smokers. I was puffing my Montecristo White Label Churchill when a gentleman in a suit and tie asked, “Were you out here smoking yesterday and did you leave something?”

Ah, ha. My cigar case. When I said yes, he said, “I found it and almost kept it because it had my name on it. My name is Wade Thompson. I’ll go get it for you.”

And he did. Turns out he is Wade Thompson, head of Sales & Marketing for the St. Louis Westin. I offered him a $9 cigar as a reward and even though he said, “I smoke one now and then,” he refused. Nice guy.

HAD LUNCH at Charlie Gitto’s for the second straight day - it’s habit-forming - this time with broadcaster George Grande. We argued over the check. I won. But he’s paying tomorrow, he said. Same time, same location. Nice.

AS I SIT high above Busch Stadium, looking down at the Gateway Arch and up so high I’m certain I can see the top floor of my house in Englewood, they’ve just put the tarp on the field at 3 p.m. St. Louis time. Then a storm, complete with thunder and lightning, ravaged the place.

SUPPOSED TO BE OK for the game, though. Manager Dusty Baker shifted around his batting order, putting slump-ridden Jay Bruce in the No. 2 spot. In the first four games of this trip Bruce is 1 for 16 with eight strikeouts. It’s the first time this year Bruce has batted second (29 times at No. 5, 11 times at No. 3 and four times at No. 4).

Jerry Hairston Jr., Baker’s No. 1 guy in the two-hole, was out of the lineup for the second straight day with flu-like symptoms.

After missing three starts with a sore right hamstring, CF and leadoff batter Willy Taveras is back in the lineup.

CINCINNATI ENQUIRER beat writer John Fay stays at the team hotel, which is a block away. With the heavy rain, he jumped in a cab and gave the driver $10 to keep him dry and drive him to the stadium.

Adam Dunn tried that last year. Didn’t work. When he jumped in a cab and said, “Ball Park,” the driver refused, telling him to walk the block-and-a-half. So Dunn refused to leave the cab - sat in the back and read a newspaper for half an hour. Finally, the cabbie relented and took Dunn on the $3 ride. Dunn handed the guy the three bucks and said, “You missed out on a nice tip, pal.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/02/no_word_yet_on_volquezs_status.html

I love that Dunn story.

BRM
06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
That means, though, the the Reds need a starting pitcher for Saturday. Could we see another Saturday Night Live performance by Homer Bailey, this time against the Chicago Cubs?

Another roster move would have to be made to do that. Send Burton back down in a few days to recall Bailey or Maloney? Possible I guess. Or Dusty could just let Masset make the start.

nate
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Adam Dunn tried that last year. Didn’t work. When he jumped in a cab and said, “Ball Park,” the driver refused, telling him to walk the block-and-a-half. So Dunn refused to leave the cab - sat in the back and read a newspaper for half an hour. Finally, the cabbie relented and took Dunn on the $3 ride. Dunn handed the guy the three bucks and said, “You missed out on a nice tip, pal.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/02/no_word_yet_on_volquezs_status.html

I love that Dunn story.

Lol, awesome!

_Sir_Charles_
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
From Fay...

The news obviously could have been worse about Edison Voluqez, or as Dusty Baker put it:

“Well, it’s not bad news. It’s the best news it could be for bad news. Nothing structural, nothing in the joint.

“He’s not supposed to pick up a ball for a week to 10 days. He’s got some inflammation in there. The reason he had the tingling is the inflammation crowds the ulna nerve. He’s going to be fine.”

Volquez never mentioned the problem until Monday.

“He might have felt something and thought it was normal soreness. If every time you felt something you sat down, most of us would never play. He had never said anything to us about it."

The Reds have been concerned Volquez. He pitched a career-high 196 innings last year and then pitched Winter Ball against the Reds' wishes.

"We were fearful of the workload with Winter Ball and getting ready for the WBC," Baker said. We were very apprehensive about the whole thing.”

Volquez only made one start and one relief appearance in Winter Ball. Why did he even do that?

“To get ready for the WBC, I guess,” Baker said. “That’s the way guys used to do it. But it’s a new day. We weren’t crazy about him pitching at all. That’s the most innings he had. I’m not saying that’s the reason. But we were adamant.”

But players from the Dominican faced tremendous pressure from within their country to pitch in the WBC.

AND SATURDAY? The Reds replaced Volquez on the roster with Jared Burton. Burton actually never left after getting optioned yesterday. The Reds still need a starter for Saturday. Have they decided?

“Not yet, we’ve got an idea,” Baker said. “But we want to wait in case something happens. Whoever it is, you don’t want that person thinking about it for four or five days either.”

That points strongly toward left-hander Matt Maloney. Maloney is 4-3 with a 2.00 ERA at Triple-A Louisville. His normal turn is Saturday. He's coming off a 1-0, 3-hit victory on Scranton, in which he struck out 10 and walked none.

BRUCE SECOND: Jay Bruce is in the second spot in the order for the first time all year. The idea is to get him fastballs.

“Hopefully,” Baker said. “Hopefully, Willy (Taveras) will get on. With Jay, it’s a matter of pitch selection. You can tell he’s getting frustrated. I’ve got to talk to him. He’s getting upset with at-bats. I’d rather have him spend that time and energy on focus and concentration. Frustration does nothing but build. We’ll try to work on that part.”

Bruce did walk twice Monday night and score a run.

“The concentration and focus come from following the ball from the release point,” Baker said. “They’re teasing him out of the zone. Just because they're suppose to throw a strike doesn't mean they are. It’s like a disease. You know you got it but you can’t shake it. The worst thing you do is tell yourself not to do something. You’ve got to reserve that mindset.”

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Homer Bailey pitched very well Louisville tonight -- eight shutout innings, four hits, two walks, eight strikeouts. He's 5-5 with 3.79 ERA. But the that fact that he threw 117 pitches tells you that he won't be starting for the Reds Saturday.

That means it's left-hander Matt Maloney -- unless the Reds have something unforeseen planned. The bullpen is too worn out for a bullpen day. The start also falls on the turn of Zach Stewart, the third-round pick. He's been putting on zeros at AA. But I've got to think it's Maloney.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af998632e-e5d3-4447-864b-87342f55793d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Homer Bailey pitched very well Louisville tonight -- eight shutout innings, four hits, two walks, eight strikeouts. He's 5-5 with 3.79 ERA. But the that fact that he threw 117 pitches tells you that he won't be starting for the Reds Saturday.

That means it's left-hander Matt Maloney -- unless the Reds have something unforeseen planned. The bullpen is too worn out for a bullpen day. The start also falls on the turn of Zach Stewart, the third-round pick. He's been putting on zeros at AA. But I've got to think it's Maloney.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af998632e-e5d3-4447-864b-87342f55793d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I hate to see it but I suspect it'll be Arroyo moved up to Saturday and Bailey Sunday. Probably why he had a quick hook with Bronson tonight. Dusty won't like throwing the LH Maloney to the Cubs.

reds44
06-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Why the hell would Homer throw 120 pitches in a AAA game?

traderumor
06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Why the hell would Homer throw 120 pitches in a AAA game?Because he's a starter?

Homer Bailey
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I hate to see it but I suspect it'll be Arroyo moved up to Saturday and Bailey Sunday. Probably why he had a quick hook with Bronson tonight. Dusty won't like throwing the LH Maloney to the Cubs.

Without Aramis, I don't think the Cubs RH lineup is that strong. Soriano is struggling big time, and I suspect he may be injured. Derrek Lee is obviously not the same guy. Add in the fact that Maloney is apparantly tougher on righties than he is lefties, I don't have much fear putting Maloney up against the Cubs.

thatcoolguy_22
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Without Aramis, I don't think the Cubs RH lineup is that strong. Soriano is struggling big time, and I suspect he may be injured. Derrek Lee is obviously not the same guy. Add in the fact that Maloney is apparantly tougher on righties than he is lefties, I don't have much fear putting Maloney up against the Cubs.

I've been on the Maloney bandwagon since Homer's call-up LAST season. I'm ready to see the lefty.

SMcGavin
06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I've been on the Maloney bandwagon since Homer's call-up LAST season. I'm ready to see the lefty.

I'm pretty confident that it will be Maloney this time. Bailey got his head beat in last time he came up, and Maloney had his "seriously Walt, look at me" game with the 10 K 0 BB complete game shutout this week. I think calling for Bailey would send all the wrong messages to your minor leaguers.

I will say this, Maloney needs to perform well in the one or two starts he gets. The Reds FO obviously views him with skepticism, if he has a couple of bad starts he might not get another chance. Fair or not, there's virtually zero chance he'll be like Homer Bailey with a 7.01 career ERA through 18 starts, because he'll never be allowed to get half that far if he's not producing.

BRM
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
On the decisive hit Tuesday, a two-run double in the sixth by STL's Nick Stavinoha, Taveras froze for a moment and then couldn't chase down the drive over his head and to the wall in center field. Even if he took a step in, a healthy Taveras would normally catch up to that ball. He missed the previous three games with a sore right hamstring.

"Ordinarily he runs that ball down and the score is 3-2 with two outs," Baker said. "I guess we have to go back to the drawing board on him. [Chris] Dickerson will play center field [Wednesday]. I thought Willy was in better shape, leg-wise, than that. So we'll have to take a little more time."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

membengal
06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Interesting. Dusty sounds chilly. Good.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Nix displays 'D'

Laynce Nix made an incredible catch Monday night after losing the ball in the lights and running five or six steps before finding it at the last instant and snatching it out of the air.

Nix, in fact, has played exemplary defense.

"I saw it off the bat and thought I had a bead on it, then I lost it," Nix said of his Monday catch. "That's a crazy feeling, not knowing if it is going to come out of the lights.

"I've always prided my defense," he said. "You know the pitcher is on the mound working his tail off, so it is our job to be on our toes and snag whatever you can."

Nix nearly lost his career with a wrecked shoulder when he played in Texas and ran into a wall, but that doesn't stop him now and he said, "You pick your spots on when to be aggressive, but when the ball is in the air you have to go get it. I won't be out there playing scared."

Rehab for E.E.

Edwin Encarnacion took live batting practice for the first time Monday and was rained out Tuesday, but believes he is ready for a minor-league rehab assignment.

"Just a matter of seeing where they want me to play," said Edwin. "No timetable. I just have to go play and get ready and make sure I'm ready to help my team win games."

Jerry Hairston Jr. missed his second straight start after missing Monday with flu-like symptoms and Baker said Tuesday, "He's feeling better. I'll just wait until (today) to play him."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/volquez-back-on-dl-but-news-not-all-bad-145414.html

BRM
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Sounds like we'll see Dickerson and Hairston at the top of the order tonight.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Bet on it: Maloney starts Saturday
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 08:28 PM

Who will pitch Saturday for the Cincinnati Reds against the Chicago Cubs and Edinson Volquez’s stand-in? Lefthander Matt Maloney. Book it.

Homer Bailey pitched eight innings of shutout baseball Tuesday to beat Pawtucket, but he would have only three days of rest. No problem. Maloney pitched a complete-game shutout Monday, a three-hitter, to beat Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. His next turn would fall on, ta-dum, Saturday. Nice.

Maloney, 4-2 with a 2.00 ERA, will be the first lefthander to start for the Reds since Andy Pettyjohn started the last game of last season.

NOT MUCH TO say about Tuesday’s game, a 5-2 clunker defeat to the St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati’s fourth loss in five games on this trip. Snippets about the game are sprinkled throughout the rest of this blog.

LOVED THE VENDOR walking in front of the press box just before game time Tuesday who was yelling: “Everybody else has cold beer. I have ice cold beer.” Now that’s a salesman.

Then Bronson Arroyo gave up a in the first inning, the sixth straight game in which the Reds’ starting pitcher gave up runs in the first inning. That’s called getting off on both a bad foot and a wrong foot.

THE FOOD WAS so bad in the Busch Stadium media dining room before the game - but only $5 - that I took a couple of bites out of something called pecan chicken and vacated the premises. I went to a concession stand and bought a cheeseburger for $5.95. The pecan chicken was better.

AND HERE’S a little known tidbit - Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan has the highest batting average (.333) and highest on-base average (.420) of any rookie in the NL. Hanigan probably won’t play enough to qualify for Rookie of the Year.

Speaking of Rookie of the Year, pitcher Scott Williamson was the last Reds Rookie of the Year. One of my favorite stories about Williamson was the time the Reds played an interleague game in St. Petersburg against the Tampa Bay Rays.

We stayed at the Renaissance Vinoy, a hotel that supposedly is haunted. Williamson believes. He told teammates that during the night he saw somebody standing at the end of his bed and when he straightened up, they disappeared. Said a teammate - perobably Kent Mercker - “That probably was Tampa Bay’s leadoff hitter and he couldn’t wait to get into the batter’s box against you at the ball park.”

Dodger pitcher Chad Billingsley swears he heard his toilet flush several times and he was the only person in the room. Wow, a ghost with bladder problems.

Other major leaguers and former major leaguers who have been spooked at the Vinoy include Jim Fregosi, Cito Gaston, Billy Koch, Gerald Perry, Jay Gibbons and Brian Roberts. Some Pittsburgh players were so frightened that they checked out of the hotel and stayed with a teammate’s family when the Pirates were in town six years ago.

For the Pirates, those were probably Ghosts of Losses Past.

ANOTHER TIDBIT: Kent “Dream” Weaver of FoxSports Ohio was passing around an interesting stat in the press box Tuesday: Entering Tuesday’s game, the Reds had 217 RBIs and 97 came with two outs.

Said Weaver, “Jim Day isn’t on the trip and he was sitting around the house in his underwear, feeling lonely, and looked it up.”

ONLY IN ST. LOUIS would this happen. Scott Schumaker struck out and got a stand ovation. In most parks he would have been booed, but the Busch fans acknowledged that he made Bronson Arroyo throw 14 pitches before he struck out.

YOU KNOW THINGS are going well for the Reds when plod-footed catcher Ramon Hernandez steals second base, his first theft since May 6, 2007 against the Indians when he played for the O’s. Of course, this time second baseman Scott Schumaker had the ball waiting for Hernandez but failed to make the tag. Still, a stolen base.

AFTER THE REDS scored two runs in the fourth inning against the Cardinals Tuesday, the guy splitting hot dogs buns (hot dogs arrive in the fifth inning) said to me, “The Reds are a scrappy little team.” Thanks, man, not slap a wiener between a bun and hand it to me. Naw, I wasn’t mean. What I said was, “Pass the ketchup, please.”

ALBERT PUJOLS. El Hombre, is a great player and doesn’t need any help, but the official scorer gave him a gift RBI when his doubled tied Tuesday’s game, 2-2, in the fifth. Scott Schumaker scored from first on the double, but wouldn’t have scored had left field Laynce Nix not kicked the ball around in the corner. Should have been double, run scores on the left fielder’s error, no RBI.

NIX LED THE sixth inning with a walk. Alex Gonzalez up. A bunt, right? An absolute sacrifice situation. No ifs, ands or buts - just bunt. Gonzalez did not attempt to bunt on the first two pitches and on 0-and-2 he grounded into a double play.

Then Arroyo gave up three runs in the bottom of the inning. Game over.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/02/loved_the_vendor_walking_in.html

TRF
06-03-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm ok with that. I wonder if EE goes to Louisville or Carolina? I'd think Carolina. He'll see more fastballs there. Say, a week there and then back with the Reds.

BRM
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Hal also told us that Volquez's injury was much ado about nothing and he'd make his next start.

Brutus
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM

This has become my lineup of preference. I love the at-bats Dickerson has given the Reds for the past three weeks. Until (unless) Taveras snaps out of this funk he's in, Dickerson provides a more stable option at the top of the order. He's getting on base more often and when the lineup is turned over with runners on base, he's become more reliable at getting a hit.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
"Just a matter of seeing where they want me to play," said Edwin.

Where = which minor league team he goes to
Where = which position they want him to rehab for

One word could mean an awfully lot there.

TRF
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Where = which minor league team he goes to
Where = which position they want him to rehab for

One word could mean an awfully lot there.

please.

He's the starting 3B for the Reds, and there has never been a hint from the FO that he would rehab at any other position. Certainly not going to lose his job to Hairston or Rosales.

Homer Bailey
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
please.

He's the starting 3B for the Reds, and there has never been a hint from the FO that he would rehab at any other position. Certainly not going to lose his job to Hairston or Rosales.

Certainly not going to lose his job to Hairston? Hairston has been the signifcantly better player on both offense and defense the last two years between the two of them.

JHJ

2008: .326/.384/.871
2009: .262/.318/.800
Last month: .309 BA with a .946 OPS (plus 6 HR's, 25 runs, and 4 SB's)

EE:

2008: .251/.340/.807
2009: .127/.286/.476

I wouldn't guarantee that EE plays over JHJ when he comes back.

(Edit: had years wrong)

BRM
06-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Dusty has always said that starters will not lose their jobs due to injury. When he's healthy again, he'll be the starter at 3B. For how long though, who knows.

Homer Bailey
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Dusty has always said that starters will not lose their jobs due to injury. When he's healthy again, he'll be the starter at 3B. For how long though, who knows.

It could be argued that his performance was enough for him to lose his starting spot. Granted, he was playing hurt, but do you really think Dusty will plunk him right in at 3rd if Hairston continues to hit .300 and OPS over .900? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
If Taveras is injurred, why not DL him?

BRM
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
It could be argued that his performance was enough for him to lose his starting spot. Granted, he was playing hurt, but do you really think Dusty will plunk him right in at 3rd if Hairston continues to hit .300 and OPS over .900? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Yes I do. BP, Hernandez and Gonzalez were all allowed to work through their slumps. Taveras is doing so right now. EE will be the starter at 3B when he's healthy.

TRF
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Certainly not going to lose his job to Hairston? Hairston has been the signifcantly better player on both offense and defense the last two years between the two of them.

JHJ

2007: .326/.384/.871
2008: .262/.318/.800
Last month: .309 BA with a .946 OPS (plus 6 HR's, 25 runs, and 4 SB's)

EE:

2007: .251/.340/.807
2008: .127/.286/.476

I'm pretty sure you meant 2008 and 2009 in this post. You can throw EE's 2009 in the trash, that's all injury. JHJ's injury history says he's not taking anyone's job. I'ts EE's the day he rejoins the 25 man roster.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
please.

Just so you know, I was joking. I don't think there's any chance they're going to rehab him at any other position. But I DO think it would be a good idea.

It's not that Hairston or Rosales are going to take Edwin's job away from him...it's more that Edwin is taking Edwin's job away from himself. Has anybody noticed an improvement defensively from Edwin in the past 3 years? Sure, the errors fluctuate...but has anybody noticed improved footwork? Improved range? Inproved accuracy on throws? I sure haven't. Despite his early season struggles at the plate this season (quite possibly injury related), his bat has more than earned him a starter's job. I think now is a decent time to see where else he can play. LF...1B...either one would improve his versatility and his usefulness. And most importantly, help negate his erratic arm.

Homer Bailey
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you meant 2008 and 2009 in this post. You can throw EE's 2009 in the trash, that's all injury. JHJ's injury history says he's not taking anyone's job. I'ts EE's the day he rejoins the 25 man roster.

Yes, I did mean 2008 and 2009. It has been edited.

Obviously it's not up to me, but i would not play EE over Hairston upon his return. Over the last two years, Hairston has provided better offense, defense, and speed. JHJ's injury history says he's not taking anyone's job? Edwin is the one coming off a broken wrist. He needs to prove he his healthy and ready to hit before he comes back in the lineup. The fact that he played for a month with the injury without saying anything to anyone still leaves me completely befuttled.

RichRed
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
The fact that he played for a month with the injury without saying anything to anyone still leaves me completely befuttled.

The fact that he played injured for a month without a manager, coach or trainer noticing anything wrong is a bigger indictment to me. Players play hurt.

Patrick Bateman
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Yes, I did mean 2008 and 2009. It has been edited.

Obviously it's not up to me, but i would not play EE over Hairston upon his return. Over the last two years, Hairston has provided better offense, defense, and speed. JHJ's injury history says he's not taking anyone's job? Edwin is the one coming off a broken wrist. He needs to prove he his healthy and ready to hit before he comes back in the lineup. The fact that he played for a month with the injury without saying anything to anyone still leaves me completely befuttled.

I think a lot of Hairston's perceived improvement at the plate is due to randomness and luck. Last year, the singles fell in, this year, he's hit a completely unsustainable amount of homeruns for him. Collectively in his Reds career, it's still a small sample size. I'm comfortable assuming that he's made a decent amount of improvement at the plate since joining the Reds, but not to the point that once randomness catches up to him that you'll want his bat in the line-up. Additionally, he hasn't shown to be an exceptional defensive infielder by any means, especially at third, where it would probably be fair to describe him as average.

In the end, I think EE"s proven enough at the plate over the last few seasons that suggest his early season slump is nothing more than just that, and that having his bat in the line-up will do more than enough to offset the defensive problems.

Lastly, Hairston is most valuable in the supersub role. He'll get to move around in the OF, 2B, SS, 3B, wherever he's needed. Versatility is probably his biggest strength. EE as a bench player offers little, as of right now he doesn't have an alternative position available for him (and actually being able to play somewhere else isn't a given). To me, it seems that using Hairston as the starting 3B and EE on the bench is a poor utilization of their respective skillsets. I'd only consider that switch if I truly felt that Hairston was going to be more than just marginally better as an everyday player than EE, and I think the evidence for such a claim is neither strong, nor broad enough.

VR
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Yes I do. BP, Hernandez and Gonzalez were all allowed to work through their slumps. Taveras is doing so right now. EE will be the starter at 3B when he's healthy.

Sounds like Taveras is going to the bench initially, potentially DL.

Brutus
06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I think a lot of Hairston's perceived improvement at the plate is due to randomness and luck. Last year, the singles fell in, this year, he's hit a completely unsustainable amount of homeruns for him. Collectively in his Reds career, it's still a small sample size. I'm comfortable assuming that he's made a decent amount of improvement at the plate since joining the Reds, but not to the point that once randomness catches up to him that you'll want his bat in the line-up. Additionally, he hasn't shown to be an exceptional defensive infielder by any means, especially at third, where it would probably be fair to describe him as average.

In the end, I think EE"s proven enough at the plate over the last few seasons that suggest his early season slump is nothing more than just that, and that having his bat in the line-up will do more than enough to offset the defensive problems.

Lastly, Hairston is most valuable in the supersub role. He'll get to move around in the OF, 2B, SS, 3B, wherever he's needed. Versatility is probably his biggest strength. EE as a bench player offers little, as of right now he doesn't have an alternative position available for him (and actually being able to play somewhere else isn't a given). To me, it seems that using Hairston as the starting 3B and EE on the bench is a poor utilization of their respective skillsets. I'd only consider that switch if I truly felt that Hairston was going to be more than just marginally better as an everyday player than EE, and I think the evidence for such a claim is neither strong, nor broad enough.

His HR/FB ratio this year is nearly double his best ever season. So from that standpoint, you might be correct his homers are unsustainable. However, last year was the best season he's ever had with regard to hitting line drives, and these past two seasons have been his highest FB% he's ever had as well.

I think he's shown some signs of improvement, but I also think that a lot of the other peripherals have not improved enough for him to quite keep up this pace. I enjoy having him in the lineup though. I do hope I'm wrong.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Sounds like Taveras is going to the bench initially, potentially DL.

Let's hope Dickerson can turn the corner and show flashes of what he did in last season's call up.

Jpup
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Let's hope Dickerson can turn the corner and show flashes of what he did in last season's call up.

I think he already has. I have really been impressed with his play for the last couple of weeks. I don't know the numbers, but he seems to be playing good defense and being patient at the plate.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
He does seem to be drawing a lot of walks. The hits haven't been coming, but the AB's have been solid IMO.

If he's in center...the defense will always be good with Dickerson from my POV. He hasn't looked comfortable at all in left.

TRF
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I think he already has. I have really been impressed with his play for the last couple of weeks. I don't know the numbers, but he seems to be playing good defense and being patient at the plate.

In his last 7 games, 13 AB's .308 .438 .462 .899

13 AB's, at least 16 PA's, as he had 3 BB's.

PuffyPig
06-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Granted, he was playing hurt, but do you really think Dusty will plunk him right in at 3rd if Hairston continues to hit .300 and OPS over .900?

Since there is zero chance that Hairston will continue to OPS .900 (since he's only at .800 now anyway) it's a moo point.

Chip R
06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Since there is zero chance that Hairston will continue to OPS .900 (since he's only at .800 now anyway) it's a moo point.

Thanks, Joey.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Joey.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who caught it. :O)

Homer Bailey
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM

The .900 OPS I was referring to is his OPS over the last month. And who says there is zero chance? He OPS'd .871 last year in a much larger sample size.

nate
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
The .900 OPS I was referring to is his OPS over the last month. And who says there is zero chance? He OPS'd .871 last year in a much larger sample size.

I'd say the chance is pretty slim that Ponce de Hairston has found the "fountain of really good." But just for fun, what kind of numbers would he have to have in order to go from where he is now to have a .900 OPS at the end of the season?

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I'd say the chance is pretty slim that Ponce de Hairston has found the "fountain of really good." But just for fun, what kind of numbers would he have to have in order to go from where he is now to have a .900 OPS at the end of the season?

I highly doubt that Hairston will OPS .900, but whether he does or not, he's been pretty dang solid this year and last (even after the slow start this season). Pretty hard to complain when a part-time player is producing like he has offensively and defensively.

nate
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I highly doubt that Hairston will OPS .900, but whether he does or not, he's been pretty dang solid this year and last (even after the slow start this season). Pretty hard to complain when a part-time player is producing like he has offensively and defensively.

I was complaining?

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I was complaining?

No. I was just sayin....hard for anybody to complain about how he's produced this year. Not really directed at you...or anybody for that matter.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Time to bring in help? and other notes
Posted by JohnFay at 6/3/2009 6:30 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds will play semi-shorthanded again tonight. Willy Taveras is available but less than 100 percent because of a tight hamstring.

Wilkin Castillo is here as a emergency catcher/early pinch-hitter. So tonight's bench consistents of Jonny Gomes, Alex Gonzalez (Paul Janish is getting a start) and Adam Rosales. The Reds have been played their everyday catcher (Ramon Hernandez) at first.

Has Dusty Baker talked to Walt Jocketty about getting some help?

“I’ve talked to him about it,” Baker said. “I don’t know who’s on the (40-man) roster as far as outfielders."

The list of outfield prospects at Louisville begins and ends with Drew Stubbs. At Double-A, the Reds have their two hottest minor league hitters in Chris Heisey in and Todd Frazier. Heisey's an outfielder; Frazier can play infield or outfield. None of them is on 40-man. But the Reds can open a spot by putting Bill Bray on the 60-day DL.

Baker was asked if he was had a hard-and-fast rule about players jumping levels.

“It depends on the kid,” Baker said.

The Dodgers did it when Baker was a player.

“We jumped (Steve) Sax from Double-A to the big leagues. We jumped (Steve) Howe from Double-A to the big leagues. There are those who can present the argument that Double-A is in some way more competitive than Triple-A. That’s where you see most of the prospects. At Triple-A, you have older players who are biding their time until somebody gets hurt. It’s not the same intensity. That’s what I’ve heard.”

DAY OFF FOR GONZO: Gonzalez was out of the lineup for rest.

“He’s been playing a lot,” Baker said. “I don’t want anyone to be out too long. I don’t want Janish to be out too long. I thought about tomorrow, but that’s not fair to Janish to give him one and got to face (Chris) Carpenter. Conditions aren’t real good out there. I thought today would be a good day.”

ON CATCHER: Hanigan has caught every game since Joey Votto went on the disabled list. Hernandez, the regular catcher, has been playing first base. Baker would like to rest Hanigan at some point.

“I’m trying to put the best team out there,” Baker said. “Ryan is little banged up but he’s getting the opportunity to play. I thought about it today. . . Ramon will be catching. He’ll catch when I see Ryan is slowing down, banged up.

“I’m glad we have both of them.”

Hernandez has played well at first base.

“He’s been very good,” Baker said. “Plus, it keeps him strong when he goes back to catching.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aef784ce3-89af-421f-ba7a-ab5373fec0dd&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=nJ3wIPBtJ5CGkqEZRmYWBQKYk/gatg50g8XN4oSbvX0%3D

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Talking to Jocketty
Posted by JohnFay at 6/3/2009 8:05 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

It sounds like the Reds will ride it out short-handed until Willy Taveras is 100 percent. I asked Walt Jocketty if it was to point where the Reds needed to get another outfielders in.

“Not yet,” general manager Walt Jocketty said. “Hopefully, (Taveras) will get better everyday. That’s why we kept him out. He’s not quite 100 percent.

“I hope we don’t have to, but we’ll see.”

Jocketty said he isn't opposed to bringing players from Double-A big leagues.

“I wouldn't hesitate to do that,” Jocketty said, “if I thought they could help. I’ve done that before. I don’t think it’s critical that guys come from Triple-A. Ideally, you’d like them to come from Triple-A., but if it's the right player, we'd do it."

That's telling because the two hottest hitters in the organization are Todd Frazier and Chris Heisey. Heisey's an outfielder. Frazier can play first, shortstop, third, right and left.

I asked Jocketty about a couple of other things:

Saturday's starter? "We've got a couple of ideas," Jocketty said. "We'll you know when we let him know."

Give me Matt Maloney and I'll give you the field.

On the draft: Baseball America has the Reds taking right-hander Aaron Crow. Any chance of that? "We like him. He's pretty good. He's got that good sinker."

Crow is the pitcher Washington Nationals took out of Missouri last year but did not sign. Money, of coruse. is an issue with a player like that.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a434a9a6f-ae16-419f-9cb2-f4c189f2630e&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

reds44
06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
“I’ve talked to him about it,” Baker said. “I don’t know who’s on the (40-man) roster as far as outfielders."
I happen to like/not mind Dusty more than most on here, but how do you not know that?

For the record, all the Reds outfielders on the 40 man roster are currently in the majors.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2009, 12:41 AM
FORMER REDS (among many other teams) pitcher Kent Mercker filled in on the radio broadcast with Marty Brennaman Wednesday. Mercker is one of the smartest and most humorous players I ever dealt with. He was a guy who got it.

The guy worked the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle in about an hour, but it was his funny lines that I’ll always remember. Oh, and he could pitch a little bit, too. Threw a no-hitter once.

My two favorites:

Asked what he was going to do when he retired, he said, “I’m going to turn vodka into urine.” And former pitcher Chris Hammond was constantly reading the Bible in the clubhouse. One day Mercker walked by, saw him reading the Bible, and said, “Haven’t you finished that book yet?”

Oh, and one more classic. “You know you’re getting old when you run in from the bullpen and your breasts jiggle.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/03/_former_reds_among_many.html

Tom Servo
06-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Time to bring in help? and other notes
Posted by JohnFay at 6/3/2009 6:30 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds will play semi-shorthanded again tonight. Willy Taveras is available but less than 100 percent because of a tight hamstring.

Wilkin Castillo is here as a emergency catcher/early pinch-hitter. So tonight's bench consistents of Jonny Gomes, Alex Gonzalez (Paul Janish is getting a start) and Adam Rosales. The Reds have been played their everyday catcher (Ramon Hernandez) at first.

Has Dusty Baker talked to Walt Jocketty about getting some help?

The list of outfield prospects at Louisville begins and ends with Drew Stubbs. At Double-A, the Reds have their two hottest minor league hitters in Chris Heisey in and Todd Frazier. Heisey's an outfielder; Frazier can play infield or outfield. None of them is on 40-man. But the Reds can open a spot by putting Bill Bray on the 60-day DL.

Baker was asked if he was had a hard-and-fast rule about players jumping levels.

“It depends on the kid,” Baker said.

The Dodgers did it when Baker was a player.

“We jumped (Steve) Sax from Double-A to the big leagues. We jumped (Steve) Howe from Double-A to the big leagues. There are those who can present the argument that Double-A is in some way more competitive than Triple-A. That’s where you see most of the prospects. At Triple-A, you have older players who are biding their time until somebody gets hurt. It’s not the same intensity. That’s what I’ve heard.”

DAY OFF FOR GONZO: Gonzalez was out of the lineup for rest.

“He’s been playing a lot,” Baker said. “I don’t want anyone to be out too long. I don’t want Janish to be out too long. I thought about tomorrow, but that’s not fair to Janish to give him one and got to face (Chris) Carpenter. Conditions aren’t real good out there. I thought today would be a good day.”

ON CATCHER: Hanigan has caught every game since Joey Votto went on the disabled list. Hernandez, the regular catcher, has been playing first base. Baker would like to rest Hanigan at some point.

“I’m trying to put the best team out there,” Baker said. “Ryan is little banged up but he’s getting the opportunity to play. I thought about it today. . . Ramon will be catching. He’ll catch when I see Ryan is slowing down, banged up.

“I’m glad we have both of them.”

Hernandez has played well at first base.

“He’s been very good,” Baker said. “Plus, it keeps him strong when he goes back to catching.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aef784ce3-89af-421f-ba7a-ab5373fec0dd&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=nJ3wIPBtJ5CGkqEZRmYWBQKYk/gatg50g8XN4oSbvX0%3D
So basically we're looking for depth, huh? What are Andy Phillips and Javy Valentin up to these days? :evil:

*BaseClogger*
06-04-2009, 02:57 AM
For the record, all the Reds outfielders on the 40 man roster are currently in the majors.

Hopper?

reds44
06-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Hopper?
No sir, he's not on the 40 man anymore.

Big Klu
06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I happen to like/not mind Dusty more than most on here, but how do you not know that?

Because Dusty's job is to manage the 25-man roster, not the 40-man. He may have an idea of who is on the 40-man, but he probably can't recite them from memory. I know I can't.

In fact, you would be hard-pressed to find a RedsZoner who could, and we are obsessive about this club! :)

traderumor
06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Talking to Jocketty
Posted by JohnFay at 6/3/2009 8:05 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Crow is the pitcher Washington Nationals took out of Missouri last year but did not sign. Money, of coruse. is an issue with a player like that.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a434a9a6f-ae16-419f-9cb2-f4c189f2630e&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I don't know if Crow is worth it, but I heard/read that he didn't sign over the amount of the bonus Washington was offering. While it may have been about money, he may have been looking at that organization and there may have not been enough money to get him to sign with them.

fearofpopvol1
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I really don't want to see Stubbs up here until later in the year. He's 1 of those guys who needs development.

Frazier is intriguing idea though...because he can play so many different positions and the IF is where the Reds have the most injuries currently and lack depth the most.

cincrazy
06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
So basically we're looking for depth, huh? What are Andy Phillips and Javy Valentin up to these days? :evil:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:help:

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
BP gets it done
From emailer Chris
Brandon Phillips took multi-tasking to new heights on Wednesday night, when he
had three hits, three RBIs, three runs scored, two stolen bases and one home run
against the Cardinals. Since 1920, the first year that RBIs were officially
recorded in the major leagues, only two other Reds players reached all five of
those statistical levels in one game: George Foster in 1976 and Gary Redus in

Brutus
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
BP gets it done
From emailer Chris
had three hits, three RBIs, three runs scored, two stolen bases and one home run

Now on pace for 31 homers and 124 RBI's with 18 stolen bases. Also, more notably, he has his OBP to nearly .360.

The RBI's, some would say, are the product of hitting cleanup. Not entirely, though. This season he's got a ratio of .28 of all his baserunners driven in to men left on base following his at-bat. The past few years he's been around .20. He's in the top 10 in the National League right now with regard to driving in the largest ratio of runners to men left on base.

So while he's getting more opportunities, he's also hitting them in at a much better rate.

HeatherC1212
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
BP gets it done
From emailer Chris

And my fantasy team loves him for his productive night last night, LOL :laugh:

Hoosier Red
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I was too young to remember him, but how good did Gary Redus have to have looked when he was coming through the minors. If there were a Redszone in the late 70's early 80's we'd have people getting us set for the next Big Red Machine.

From looking at his early stats, people would say that he ran like Griffey, hit like Foster, fielded like Geronimo and threw like Nolan.

_Sir_Charles_
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I was too young to remember him, but how good did Gary Redus have to have looked when he was coming through the minors. If there were a Redszone in the late 70's early 80's we'd have people getting us set for the next Big Red Machine.

From looking at his early stats, people would say that he ran like Griffey, hit like Foster, fielded like Geronimo and threw like Nolan.

Gary Redus & Eric Davis...my 2 favorite players from those early 80's teams. I really thought Redus was going to be a monster.

*BaseClogger*
06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
No sir, he's not on the 40 man anymore.

What happened? I think I missed something...

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Dusty Baker, pre-game, discussing Bruce hitting 6th: "We're just trying to take a little pressure off him. ... He just needs a little blooper, a little bleeder to come out of it ... rarely do you see a guy come out of it with a home run."

Also: "Nobody's pulling harder for him than any of us are."

-- Baker said he had talked again to Joey Votto, but Baker declined to provide details. We saw Votto in street clothes in the clubhouse, but reporters had already been told by Reds media relations director Rob Butcher that Votto is not yet ready to speak publicly. Votto went on the DL on May 30 because of stress and is eligible to come off the DL June 14. Baker said he does not have a timetable on Votto's return.

--Willy Taveras (hamstring) could be available in an emergency tonight, Baker said. Taveras has missed five of the last six games with a tight right hammy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a57a367cc-662e-4df0-bf81-e54095e0aa08&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

KoryMac5
06-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Dusty Baker, pre-game, discussing Bruce hitting 6th: "We're just trying to take a little pressure off him. ... He just needs a little blooper, a little bleeder to come out of it ... rarely do you see a guy come out of it with a home run."

Also: "Nobody's pulling harder for him than any of us are."

-- Baker said he had talked again to Joey Votto, but Baker declined to provide details. We saw Votto in street clothes in the clubhouse, but reporters had already been told by Reds media relations director Rob Butcher that Votto is not yet ready to speak publicly. Votto went on the DL on May 30 because of stress and is eligible to come off the DL June 14. Baker said he does not have a timetable on Votto's return.

--Willy Taveras (hamstring) could be available in an emergency tonight, Baker said. Taveras has missed five of the last six games with a tight right hammy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a57a367cc-662e-4df0-bf81-e54095e0aa08&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

There is no emergency severe enough that Willy Taveras should ever be the answer to.

fearofpopvol1
06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I would say put Willy on the DL, but sadly, there isn't really anyone that can step in currently and help.

membengal
06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I would say put Willy on the DL, but sadly, there isn't really anyone that can step in currently and help.

Absolutely not true.

Chris Heisey could come up and would immediately be darn near the best hitter on this team.

CTA513
06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Postgame comments
Posted by TomGroeschen at 6/5/2009 10:50 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

A sample from postgame clubhouse:

Reds manager Dusty Baker lamented the missed scoring chances late in the game.

“With a young team you have to keep talking, keep preaching to them about how to get those runs in,” Baker said. “You have to not be excited, remove yourself from the situation, drive them in.”

Baker also knows it would be nicer not to be in that situation. The Reds have totaled just one run each of the past two games against two of baseball’s best, the Cardinals’ Chris Carpenter and the Cubs’ Zambrano.

“That’s how it goes,” Baker said. “You face two of the best of the league, and then you’ve got another tough one (Saturday) in (Ryan) Dempster.”

--Brandon Phillips:

“We’re a young team, no excuses,” Phillips said. “Our stuff tonight just didn’t start happening until too late.”

“We’re a better team than the Cubs,” Phillips. “They’re a great team but I feel we’re better. Micah Owings pitched a great game, he just made one mistake.”

More from Phillips: "We're a great team ... a lot of people didn't think we'd be where we are."

Sounds like some of the stuff Bengals WRs say after losses.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Phillips said the same thing after the Brewers swept the Reds.

traderumor
06-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Phillips said the same thing after the Brewers swept the Reds.The day he doesn't think that, he might just as well hang up his spikes. That goes for any player.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Absolutely not true.

Chris Heisey could come up and would immediately be darn near the best hitter on this team.

the AA pitchers are just a little bit different than Zambrano or Carpenter or Gallardo or Oswalt.

i think Heisey has a bright future and i hope it's with the Reds and he's awesome...but i think he needs to prove himself at AAA first.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-06-2009, 12:19 AM
More from Phillips: "We're a great team ... a lot of people didn't think we'd be where we are."

Be where they are?? Where is that? If this team is patting themselves on the back being 2 games over .500, that's pathetic. The Reds are closer to the 5th-place Pirates than to first.

reds44
06-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I think we all need to stop reading so much into quotes.

reds44
06-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Absolutely not true.

Hahaha, no.

CrackerJack
06-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Hahaha, no.

Aside from Votto, not so sure Mem is making too big of a reach there.

11larkin11
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Aside from Votto, not so sure Mem is making too big of a reach there.

Who was a better prospect, Bruce or Heisey? Hows Bruce doing now?

Bruce, Phillips, Nix, Hernandez, Hanigan would all be above Heisey right now. Now, would Heisey be better than Dickerson or Taveras? Thats the debate

CrackerJack
06-06-2009, 01:04 AM

Be where they are?? Where is that? If this team is patting themselves on the back being 2 games over .500, that's pathetic. The Reds are closer to the 5th-place Pirates than to first.

I don't think he is one to be satisfied with 3rd place. The Reds have been missing their starting 1st and 3rd basemen for weeks now, and their #3 starter. That's a rough blow for any team.

Can only hope they stay within 5 games by the AS break and get some people back, and others to start performing like they should, or some help on top of that.

membengal
06-06-2009, 11:09 AM
the AA pitchers are just a little bit different than Zambrano or Carpenter or Gallardo or Oswalt.

i think Heisey has a bright future and i hope it's with the Reds and he's awesome...but i think he needs to prove himself at AAA first.

I don't. Plenty of players make the jump from AA to the majors. Jock himself addressed that a few days ago, as did Dusty. The level of competition is such that AA is, in some ways, stronger than AAA anymore. AAA is full, at times, of journeyman "almost" types, especially on staffs. Not always, but enough.

What Heisey is doing translates. AAA isn't a necessary part of getting him ready. He's good to go, now. And would help this team, now.

membengal
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Hahaha, no.

Hahaha, yes.

Eric_the_Red
06-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Hahaha, yes.

Hahaha, maybe?

;)

reds44
06-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Hahaha, yes.
He's 24 years old and still in AA, color me unimpressed. Not saying he can't or won't ever be a useful major league player, but saying he would come up and be one of the teams best hitters is a complete stretch.

Jay Bruce OPS'd well over 1.000 in AA as a 20 year old, the major leagues are a different ballgame.

BearcatShane
06-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd call Stubbs up before Heisley.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Maloney in - who's out?
Posted by TomGroeschen at 6/6/2009 12:55 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

LHP Matt Maloney joins the roster tonight to start for the Reds in his MLB debut. A corresponding roster move will be announced before gametime.

The Reds say tonight's game could become the third sellout of the season. The Cubs are here for the 7:10 p.m. start, and the first 30,000 fans will receive a team baseball card set.

The other sellouts this year:

Opening Day vs NYM .... 42,177 ..... L, 1-2

Sat, 5/9 vs StL ............... 40,651 ....W, 8-3

OF Chris Heisey (pronounced HI-zee) and RHP Zach Stewart have been named the organization's Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month...in 29g at Class AA Carolina, Heisey hit .404 with 4hr,17rbi and 3sb...in 5 starts for Carolina and Class A Sarasota,

Stewart went 2-1, 1.04 with 1 complete game (34.2ip,
25h, 5bb, 23k).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a70354ed2-2d47-42d9-9798-f3f4d22b4119&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=rKOZLv8WajrSexa/cIO07ONIJOg+PNN0wlRo/4rI0UQ%3D

Kc61
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't. Plenty of players make the jump from AA to the majors. Jock himself addressed that a few days ago, as did Dusty. The level of competition is such that AA is, in some ways, stronger than AAA anymore. AAA is full, at times, of journeyman "almost" types, especially on staffs. Not always, but enough.

What Heisey is doing translates. AAA isn't a necessary part of getting him ready. He's good to go, now. And would help this team, now.

There is nothing in Heisey's background to lead to the conclusion that he will be a star hitter at the major league level.

He is having a fantastic year at AA. But last year his combined OPS at two levels was .822. The year before .791.

I don't believe for a minute that such a prospect should skip AAA. At AAA Heisey will face experienced pitchers who, while in some cases having less stuff than AA prospects, have a better idea how to pitch and get people out. He should not skip that step.

If Heisey goes to AAA, we will see if he continues to be the 1.000 plus guy from AA, or if he reverts to the .800 plus guy from previous years. I have no idea, but that's the way to find out.

Mario-Rijo
06-06-2009, 01:54 PM
There is nothing in Heisey's background to lead to the conclusion that he will be a star hitter at the major league level.

He is having a fantastic year at AA. But last year his combined OPS at two levels was .822. The year before .791.

I don't believe for a minute that such a prospect should skip AAA. At AAA Heisey will face experienced pitchers who, while in some cases having less stuff than AA prospects, have a better idea how to pitch and get people out. He should not skip that step.

If Heisey goes to AAA, we will see if he continues to be the 1.000 plus guy from AA, or if he reverts to the .800 plus guy from previous years. I have no idea, but that's the way to find out.

Pete Rose had a .930 OPS at single A in 1962 and then broke camp with the Reds in '63. A Ball to the Show and we all know how that turned out. I think the point I'm trying to make is when your ready, your ready. I ain't saying he's Pete Rose or even star caliber but I am saying he's pretty much a finished product I don't think AAA would do anything for Chris Heisey. Now I wouldn't say that about any other current Reds minor leaguer but this kid is as polished a kid as there is and in every way.

membengal
06-06-2009, 02:22 PM
What Mario said. I don't know that he has more "developing" to do. I think he has become what he is going to become, and it would translate now.

Color me "in" on his plate discipline, BB:K ratio, and general hitting skillz. This team needs some of that. Sorely. And I think he could do that now.

Kc61
06-06-2009, 03:22 PM
What Mario said. I don't know that he has more "developing" to do. I think he has become what he is going to become, and it would translate now.

Color me "in" on his plate discipline, BB:K ratio, and general hitting skillz. This team needs some of that. Sorely. And I think he could do that now.

Not sure exactly what the basis is for saying that this particular player doesn't need some AAA time. He's having a great year at AA? Fine, but Homer Bailey dominated AA as a pitcher and is just now, maybe, reaching a high level at AAA. Success at one level doesn't necessarily translate to success at the next.

Plate discipline is harder as the pitchers get more advanced, throw more changeups and breaking pitches and are able to exploit weaknesses. Not sure why Heisey is an exception to that.

The moves the Reds should make are sending Heisey and Frazier to AAA. Give them a couple of months there and then see who warrants a call up.

As someone posted, if any Reds outfielder should be called up it is Stubbs. Not advocating this but I'm convinced that Stubbs has a chance of being a decent on base guy at the MLB level. He's been tested by AAA pitching, hasn't hit for power, but gets on base. If anyone, he should be next, perhaps being the next possible leadoff hitter.

The other thing the Reds should consider is whether they have good enough pitching to win now. If so, then they should acquire a major hitter for LF, 3B or SS to give them some punch now. They sorely need some offense and have minor league prospects to trade.

reds44
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Does Stubbs really provide you anything Dickerson doesn't, though? To me, he's just a younger, right handed Dickerson.

Kc61
06-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Does Stubbs really provide you anything Dickerson doesn't, though? To me, he's just a younger, right handed Dickerson.

Stubbs is a higher touted player, potentially a better hitter, doesn't strike out as much, good OBP guy.

The Reds could use some higher OBP players. Stubbs could contribute in that way.

Ultimately they both have ability, either Stubbs or Dickerson could take off and do very well. Both deserve a shot, as Chris is already receiving.

reds44
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Dickerson has a .371 OBP, so he's providing good OBP. Not going to argue Stubbs probably has more potential, but at the same time Stubbs isn't going to be a difference maker with the bat.

Kc61
06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Dickerson has a .371 OBP, so he's providing good OBP. Not going to argue Stubbs probably has more potential, but at the same time Stubbs isn't going to be a difference maker with the bat.

I didn't say Dickerson wasn't doing well, he's been ok. But he's a lefty platoon player, Stubbs could play some center too if Taveras is hurt. My point is that if you are going to advance a minor league hitter to the Reds now, Stubbs is the logical guy, not somebody directly from AA.

The only exception that might make sense -- at some point -- is Alonso since the reports are that he is a cut above and will definitely hit major league pitching. But even there, it's probably not the best idea for him to skip levels.

This team needs more than any of these AA or AAA people would provide. It needs a major league cleanup hitter, just like it has since Dunn got traded, and all off-season, and now. They need Votto back and a new high caliber major league hitter to go along with him.

reds44
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I didn't say Dickerson wasn't doing well, he's been ok. But he's a lefty platoon player, Stubbs could play some center too if Taveras is hurt. My point is that if you are going to advance a minor league hitter to the Reds now, Stubbs is the logical guy, not somebody directly from AA.

The only exception that might make sense -- at some point -- is Alonso since the reports are that he is a cut above and will definitely hit major league pitching. But even there, it's probably not the best idea for him to skip levels.

This team needs more than any of these AA or AAA people would provide. It needs a major league cleanup hitter, just like it has since Dunn got traded, and all off-season, and now. They need Votto back and a new high caliber major league hitter to go along with him.
Good post, not a lot to disagree with. The only player who I think could come up now and make a difference is Yonder, but I really doubt the Reds are going to bring him up.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm not convinced Heisey is one of those guys. And to claim that the AA pitchers Heisey is currently facing are comparable to the aces around the majors just simply isn't true.

membengal
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Did I claim that AA pitchers are comparable to major league "aces"? Don't think I did. In fact, I didn't.

I hasten to note, in addition, that there are not a lot of major league "aces" in the majors. And that Heisey is as ready as any Red in the minors to make the jump and would fare as as decently as and in fact potentially better than your average Red against the few true "aces" that exist. And would rake against your normal big league starter. Is he a better option than Willy? Yes, no question in my view. Is he a better option than Dickerson? Against lefties? Certainly. Against righties? Perhaps.

But what Heisey does well, what he has always since being in this organization done well, is control the strike zone and put bat on ball with some decent authority. He will see pitches and make solid contact. This team needs that. And he could help. Now.

reds44
06-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Minor League Stats:
Chris Heisey: .306/.380/.466/.846
Adam Rosales: .291/.365/.494/.859

OPS by league for Heisey:
Rookie: .773
Low A: .786
High A: .819

Now he's exploded in AA (at age 24), but he's been a pretty mediocre hitter all the way through the minors. He does nothing extremely well with the exception of not striking out.

I'm just not seeing where all the love for Heisey is coming from.

reds44
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Regarding Joey Votto, manager Dusty Baker said today that he does not expect Votto back when the player is eligible to come off the DL (June 14): "Probably not," Baker said.

Baker said Votto probably will need a rehab (playing) stint before he does rejoin the team, but: "We're not there yet. ... He hasn't hit in a while. He's a natural, but he ain't that natural. He might be, I don't know."

Votto has not been doing baseball activities. Friday, he watched batting practice in street clothes. Baker said he was encouraged after talking to Votto Friday but declined to offer specifics.

Votto (stress) went on the DL May 30.
I'm thinking we're going to get Votto and Edwin back around the same time.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Did I claim that AA pitchers are comparable to major league "aces"? Don't think I did. In fact, I didn't.

I hasten to note, in addition, that there are not a lot of major league "aces" in the majors. And that Heisey is as ready as any Red in the minors to make the jump and would fare as as decently as and in fact potentially better than your average Red against the few true "aces" that exist. And would rake against your normal big league starter. Is he a better option than Willy? Yes, no question in my view. Is he a better option than Dickerson? Against lefties? Certainly. Against righties? Perhaps.

But what Heisey does well, what he has always since being in this organization done well, is control the strike zone and put bat on ball with some decent authority. He will see pitches and make solid contact. This team needs that. And he could help. Now.

Yeah, you pretty much did. I posted...

"the AA pitchers are just a little bit different than Zambrano or Carpenter or Gallardo or Oswalt."

to which you posted...

"I don't. Plenty of players make the jump from AA to the majors. Jock himself addressed that a few days ago, as did Dusty. The level of competition is such that AA is, in some ways, stronger than AAA anymore. AAA is full, at times, of journeyman "almost" types, especially on staffs. Not always, but enough."

Maybe you didn't mean to, but that's what I gathered and I think most others did. I realize not every pitcher in the majors is an ace...but those 4 pitchers the Reds have faced over the last couple weeks...all of which are in our division. I'd like to see him AAA pitcher and hit there. There may be quite a few journeymen, but those guys are pitchers more than throwers (which is what you see more in AA). They throw more offspeed stuff and challenge hitters.

For every success there is of a playing jumping from AA to the majors, there are more failures. I think the point of Homer Bailey that was mentioned previously is a good one. He absolutely dominated AA and when he got to AAA, hit a big wall. Was rushed to the majors and it set him back even further. I realize there is a difference in age and that pitchers should be coddled more than hitters, but the point is that he probably isn't ready and that most hitters don't skip levels and in the case of Heisey, I don't think it's a good idea.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Minor League Stats:
Chris Heisey: .306/.380/.466/.846
Adam Rosales: .291/.365/.494/.859

OPS by league for Heisey:
Rookie: .773
Low A: .786
High A: .819

Now he's exploded in AA (at age 24), but he's been a pretty mediocre hitter all the way through the minors. He does nothing extremely well with the exception of not striking out.

I'm just not seeing where all the love for Heisey is coming from.

His power is developing (29 XBH already), he plays good defense at a premium position, and he's got great plate discipline. There's a lot to like about Heisey. Sometimes it just takes guys a little longer to figure things out. Baseball America seems to think he can be an above average major leaguer and I agree with that.

reds44
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
His power is developing (29 XBH already), he plays good defense at a premium position, and he's got great plate discipline. There's a lot to like about Heisey. Sometimes it just takes guys a little longer to figure things out. Baseball America seems to think he can be an above average major leaguer and I agree with that.
Sure, eventually, but because a guy's posted great numbers in AA for less than a half season at the age of 24 means he could come up now and be one of the best hitters on the Reds?

No.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Sure, eventually, but because a guy's posted great numbers in AA for less than a half season at the age of 24 means he could come up now and be one of the best hitters on the Reds?

No.

I didn't say that.

But it's not like the Reds are loaded with great hitters right now though. I'd like to see Heisey get some atbats in Cincy in September.

reds44
06-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I never said you said that, membengal did which set off this entire discussion.

membengal
06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I think pretty poorly of the collected bats on this Cincy team minus Votto. Yes, I think Heisey is really good at hitting. Sue me. Some guys are really good at that part of the game. They control the plate, have a good idea about approach, and put bat on ball with consistency and pace. I think the Reds have one of those in Heisey. I think he is ready now. I get that I am in the minority on that, so be it. I am guessing we will never know if I am right or not. He is OBPing currently .454 in Carolina. He has had really solid OBPs since he got to the organization. It's what he does well. Among a whole bunch of other things at the plate.

fear: the AA jump for pitchers is a harder jump, in my mind, than for hitters. So I consider any such compairson/complaint is an apples to kumquats comparison in my view.

The only reason that Heisey is in AA and Stubbs in AAA, frankly, is where they were drafted. And I like Stubbs. And Stubbs' future. And have been one of those defending Stubbs and his selection in the minors forum in the last few years.

But for what this team needs in terms of plate discipline and approach, and what Heisey does well, the initial take that fear had is that there is no one in the minors to help. Well, I disagree. Strongly.

Heisey would help. Now. And that his approach, even against aces, and certainly against the non-aces, is miles ahead of too many hitters on this team.

membengal
06-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, you pretty much did. I posted...

"the AA pitchers are just a little bit different than Zambrano or Carpenter or Gallardo or Oswalt."

to which you posted...

"I don't. Plenty of players make the jump from AA to the majors. Jock himself addressed that a few days ago, as did Dusty. The level of competition is such that AA is, in some ways, stronger than AAA anymore. AAA is full, at times, of journeyman "almost" types, especially on staffs. Not always, but enough."

Maybe you didn't mean to, but that's what I gathered and I think most others did. I realize not every pitcher in the majors is an ace...but those 4 pitchers the Reds have faced over the last couple weeks...all of which are in our division. I'd like to see him AAA pitcher and hit there. There may be quite a few journeymen, but those guys are pitchers more than throwers (which is what you see more in AA). They throw more offspeed stuff and challenge hitters.

For every success there is of a playing jumping from AA to the majors, there are more failures. I think the point of Homer Bailey that was mentioned previously is a good one. He absolutely dominated AA and when he got to AAA, hit a big wall. Was rushed to the majors and it set him back even further. I realize there is a difference in age and that pitchers should be coddled more than hitters, but the point is that he probably isn't ready and that most hitters don't skip levels and in the case of Heisey, I don't think it's a good idea.

I was replying to your last sentence in that post, not the one before it. I notice you left that part out. I was addressing your argument that AAA time is needed. Frankly, if you're arguing that AAA is filled with guys like Gallardo, Carpenter, Zambrano or Oswalt, we are at an agree to disagree point. I think you are more likely to see guys with that kind of electric stuff hanging out at AA nowadays.

reds44
06-06-2009, 05:19 PM
There are probably more future aces/really good pitchers in AA than AAA, I won't argue that. However, the overall pitching is better in AAA than AA, as is the hitting.

membengal
06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
There are probably more future aces/really good pitchers in AA than AAA, I won't argue that. However, the overall pitching is better in AAA than AA, as is the hitting.

Again, I don't know that I agree with that blanket of a statement. That certainly isn't the case in the Reds organization. Many clubs, in fact, house their best prospects at AA anymore. I think, as a result, Heisey is getting as good a test and preparation for the bigs at this time as he could get at AAA, and don't believe that AAA is a requirement to be ready for the bigs.

I get that you all don't agree with me. That's cool. I am not trying to make you.

I will leave this conversation now so as not to continue a thread-jack of this thread from the rules Boss laid out for the misc threads.

Peace.

Screwball
06-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I will leave this conversation now so as not to continue a thread-jack of this thread from the rules Boss laid out for the misc threads.

Peace.

IMO it's a fascinating conversation. However, I just assume they'd leave Dickerson in center (until Taveras is healthy, of course) with a platoon of Gomes/Nix in left. There really is nowhere for Heisey to play at the Major League level, and I'm sure the Reds want him to get as many ABs as possible (at the MiL levels).

BTW, Stubbs ain't doin too shabby at AAA either. If any CFer gets a callup, it'd be him.

reds44
06-06-2009, 05:37 PM
IMO it's a fascinating conversation. However, I just assume they'd leave Dickerson in center (until Taveras is healthy, of course) with a platoon of Gomes/Nix in left. There really is nowhere for Heisey to play at the Major League level, and I'm sure the Reds want him to get as many ABs as possible (at the MiL levels).

BTW, Stubbs ain't doin too shabby at AAA either. If any CFer gets a callup, it'd be him.
.326/.408/.488 vs. LHP with Gold Glove defense.

Perfect platoon partner with Dickerson.

CTA513
06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
.326/.408/.488 vs. LHP with Gold Glove defense.

Perfect platoon partner with Dickerson.

or with Bruce

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
or with Bruce

Bruce is 22. How will he ever learn to hit lefties if you platoon him?

CTA513
06-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Stubbs is also pretty young so why should he platoon?

Screwball

Agreed. I want Bruce to see as many lefties as possible right now, regardless of the outcome. He's our permanent clean-up hitter of the future, IMO, and the Reds need to develop that.

OnBaseMachine
Stubbs is also pretty young so why should he platoon?

I didn't say he should.

CTA513
06-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I didn't say he should.

I know, I'm just saying if Stubbs can platoon then so can Bruce.

Screwball
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I know, I'm just saying if Stubbs can platoon then so can Bruce.

Ultimately, Stubbs won't platoon. But for his callup season (when the Reds have a legitimate shot at the playoffs), it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mario-Rijo
06-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Again, I don't know that I agree with that blanket of a statement. That certainly isn't the case in the Reds organization. Many clubs, in fact, house their best prospects at AA anymore. I think, as a result, Heisey is getting as good a test and preparation for the bigs at this time as he could get at AAA, and don't believe that AAA is a requirement to be ready for the bigs.

I get that you all don't agree with me. That's cool. I am not trying to make you.

Peace.

Count me as one who does agree with you Mem. I am not trying to get the discussion rolling again but as my last statement on the matter I'll say this. Just because Stubbs has a level on him doesn't make him better right now, just because Stubbs has the pedigree doesn't make him the better player right now and just because Stubbs is closer it also doesn't make him the wiser choice right now. And he (Stubbs) may never be the better choice. I'd lay money that if both came to the bigs right now Heisey would hold his own at minimum and Stubbs would struggle for some time. Although both would certainly have a few growing pains. Again Heisey may never be a star at the major league level but he currently could play as an average if not slightly above player, Drew Stubbs probably not. And just because people can't see it doesn't make it any less true.

Screwball
06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Count me as one who does agree with you Mem. I am not trying to get the discussion rolling again but as my last statement on the matter I'll say this. Just because Stubbs has a level on him doesn't make him better right now, just because Stubbs has the pedigree doesn't make him the better player right now and just because Stubbs is closer it also doesn't make him the wiser choice right now. And he (Stubbs) may never be the better choice. I'd lay money that if both came to the bigs right now Heisey would hold his own at minimum and Stubbs would struggle for some time. Although both would certainly have a few growing pains. Again Heisey may never be a star at the major league level but he currently could play as an average if not slightly above player, Drew Stubbs probably not. And just because people can't see it doesn't make it any less true.

I understand this is all your opinion, but I'd like if you stated it as such. To say Heisey could currently play as an average (to slightly above) Major League player is a bit much, IMO. Yeah, dude's tearing up AA. Which is sweet...

However, Stubbs is also raking at AAA. He's a level higher with better defense, better tools and is putting up good numbers. While you may want to brush all that that off, it really should not be ignored. Heisey's prettty much badass right now, but Stubbs is the guy who should get the call. He's the most prepared to help at the Major League level all things considered.

Mario-Rijo
06-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I understand this is all your opinion, but I'd like if you stated it as such. To say Heisey could currently play as an average (to slightly above) Major League player is a bit much, IMO. Yeah, dude's tearing up AA. Which is sweet...

However, Stubbs is also raking at AAA. He's a level higher with better defense, better tools and is putting up good numbers. While you may want to brush all that that off, it really should not be ignored. Heisey's prettty much badass right now, but Stubbs is the guy who should get the call. He's the most prepared to help at the Major League level all things considered.

Sure it's just my opinion that he could play that well right away, I agree I may have stretched it a bit. Let's just say I don't think he'd fail, I don't believe it would be a cameo but a permanent stay.

All that said I'm not yet convinced that Stubbs is the most prepared, in fact I believe he would struggle at the plate. Nowhere else but the plate. He'd probably intially do ok (for a week maybe 2) until people figured out that you want to make him put the ball in play. I don't believe that right now he'd consistently make them pay for that near enough. Heisey on the other hand has no such problem, he can take those pitches just like Stubbs but can adapt when they can't take advantage of him. All in all Stubbs has better tools but Heisey is the one who has the polish and enough talent to make it work for him.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Reds win 4-3/postgame quotes
Posted by TomGroeschen at 6/6/2009 10:39 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

11th inning: Bruce walks, takes second on WP by Marshall. Gonzalez sacrifices Bruce to 3rd. Hanigan BB intentionally. Rosales, PHing for Masset, bounces to third; 3b Fontenot, charging, throws high to home plate and Bruce scores easily (originally scored E-5, changed by official scorer Ron Roth to fielder's choice/RBI). Reds win 4-3.

Dusty Baker: "Matt (Maloney) pitched outstanding. Good changeup, good breaking ball, well-located fastball. It was a good day all around."

On the final play: "We lost a game earlier this year on a topped ball like that. It's good to win one that way ... we deserved to win that game."

Maloney on the good showing, packed house, etc.: "It was the best feeling I ever had in my life. I can't describe it. It was awesome."

Maloney left 24 tickets including for fiancee Kalee and parents, Kim and Joe: "It'll probaby all sink in tonight when I go see my fiancee and parents. I had a bunch of text messages when I got in (after the game)."

On coming out after 6-plus innings: "I felt good, but my pitch count was up (89). It was time to make a change."

Nick Masset (3-0) got the win.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a73691d5c-2840-4383-b201-a6a68dc2885e&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Maloney no phony in big-league debut
By Hal McCoy | Saturday, June 6, 2009, 06:54 PM

Maybe the Cincinnati Reds found something Saturday night. Something big. Something better than Homer Bailey and maybe better than Micah Owings.

His name is Matt Maloney and he is 25 years old and he made 99 minor-league starts before the Reds gave him his under-the-big-tent chance.

Some chance. Against the Chicago Cubs. In front of 40,914 raging fans - some for the Reds and some against as Cubs fans took up about half the space in Great American Ball Park.

And the guy pitched as if it was just another Louisville Bats game against the Toledo Mudhens - 6-plus innings, two runs (both homers), six hits. And he pitched out of problems nearly every inning, showing poise and steel nerves. Nothing to it, eh?

He left a 3-2 lead for the bullpen to protect, but unfortunately the Cubs scored a run off David Weathers in the eighth to tie it. Weathers was sick about it, but you couldn’t wipe the smile off Maloney’s face after the game with a cement trowel.

The Reds won it in the 11th on pinch-hitter Adam Rosales’ little dribbler up on the third base line on which third baseman Mike Fontenot threw high to home plate, enabling Jay Bruce (walkl) to score from third to end it.

Maloney’s first major-league pitch at 7:10 was swung and missed by Alfonso Soriano. His second pitch at 7:11 was ripped into left field for a double and his third pitch crashed into the ribs of Ryan Theriot.

But thanks to a diving catch by center fielder Chris Dickerson and a smart throw to second base by catcher Ryan Hanigan on a double steal attempt, Maloney’s first major-league inning was scoreless.

IF ANYBODY OUT there has heard of Scott Randall, raise your hand. Put your hand, down Scott. You don’t count. Scott Randle, a pitcher, got a first in his first major-league at-bat for the Reds on Sept;l. 18, 2003, in Pittsburgh against Kip Well. He was the last to do that until Maloney batted in the second inning Saturday and singled up the middle.

Randall? His career wasw 2003. Fifteen games. Two starts. 2-5 record. 6.51 ERA. Gone forever.

I DIDN’T GIVE you my choice for the Belmont Stakes because, well, when it comes to horses I know as much about them as I do about women. Very little. But I will tell you I did have Summer Bird in the blind-draw pool in the press box and collected some cash.

ANYBODY OUT there have any pull with hotels in Washington, D.C. Due to a mix-up (mine) I notified the Reds too late that I needed a room in Washington Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The Mayflower Renaissance is sold out. I embarked on my own to find a room and couldn’t find anything under $400 a night. I know the paper won’t go for that price, so I might be grounded for those three days if I don’t find cheaper housing.

THE UMPIRES for this series best be on their toes and make the right calls. Former umpire, now umpiring supervisor, Bruce Froemming is in the press box watching his guys work. His nickname, one you never, ever used around him was Spanky because he looked like Spany in the old, old, old Our Gang movies.

And to Matt Maloney, this post-game brew is for you. Was fun to watch.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

reds44
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe the Cincinnati Reds found something Saturday night. Something big. Something better than Homer Bailey and maybe better than Micah Owings.

I smacked myself in the head after I read this.

*BaseClogger*
06-07-2009, 12:38 AM
So Norris Hopper... can somebody clue me in about what happened to him?

*BaseClogger*
06-07-2009, 12:38 AM

Peace.

BLEEDS

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2009, 12:46 AM
So Norris Hopper... can somebody clue me in about what happened to him?

I haven't heard anything happened to him, though he hasn't been on the 40 man for quite some time. Since he cleared waivers before the season IIRC.

*BaseClogger*
06-07-2009, 12:47 AM
I haven't heard anything happened to him, though he hasn't been on the 40 man for quite some time. Since he cleared waivers before the season IIRC.

Oh yeah. D'OH!

SMcGavin
06-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I smacked myself in the head after I read this.

Why?

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I never thought I would say this: When Edwin Encarnacion returns, our third base defense will be improved. Okay, maybe not, but it won't be any worse. Jerry Hairston Jr. is just brutal over there. He's botched three plays at third base in the last two games. I can't believe how weak and erratic his arm is.

reds44
06-07-2009, 02:52 AM
BC were/are you a big Norris Hopper fan?

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Jay Bruce, hitting .212, gets the day off after recent struggles. Was 0 for 3 last night but did start winning rally with a walk, scored winning run in 4-3 win over Cubs in 11. Bruce is 6 for his last 52 (.115). With an off-day Monday, that will be two straight days off for Bruce as the team heads to Washington (Tue-Thur).

Dusty Baker: "Mentally it's tough on you when you're not getting hits and you're used to getting hits. He's been better the past few days with pitch selection. I talked to him about narrowing that strike-zone box....The law of averages is on his side and somebody's gonna pay."

Bruce: "I'm getting a day. He told me I'm going to sit and learn a few things from him ... The past week I've been sticking better to my plan, getting more quality at-bats. As long as I do that the hits will be coming....It's been a struggle lately. I don't feel bad; I'm confident. I have a positive attitude."

Willy Taveras (hamstring) also is out again , for the eighth time in nine games.

Edwin Encarnacion (chipped bone/left wrist) has had a little setback in his rehab and will have an MRI on Monday, Baker said. Encarnacion remains sore after hitting and working out the past few days. "That's a very delicate area," Baker said. "A lot of little bones in there. He might have over-hit. But how do you know what's over-hitting until you do it?"

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3abcf4947b-f6c0-4bb7-8651-8b378eae6cf6&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I'm all for giving Bruce a day off, just not today. I would've waited and given him a day off vs a LHP.

mth123
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Jay Bruce, hitting .212, gets the day off after recent struggles. Was 0 for 3 last night but did start winning rally with a walk, scored winning run in 4-3 win over Cubs in 11. Bruce is 6 for his last 52 (.115). With an off-day Monday, that will be two straight days off for Bruce as the team heads to Washington (Tue-Thur).

Dusty Baker: "Mentally it's tough on you when you're not getting hits and you're used to getting hits. He's been better the past few days with pitch selection. I talked to him about narrowing that strike-zone box....The law of averages is on his side and somebody's gonna pay."

Bruce: "I'm getting a day. He told me I'm going to sit and learn a few things from him ... The past week I've been sticking better to my plan, getting more quality at-bats. As long as I do that the hits will be coming....It's been a struggle lately. I don't feel bad; I'm confident. I have a positive attitude."

Willy Taveras (hamstring) also is out again , for the eighth time in nine games.

Edwin Encarnacion (chipped bone/left wrist) has had a little setback in his rehab and will have an MRI on Monday, Baker said. Encarnacion remains sore after hitting and working out the past few days. "That's a very delicate area," Baker said. "A lot of little bones in there. He might have over-hit. But how do you know what's over-hitting until you do it?"
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3abcf4947b-f6c0-4bb7-8651-8b378eae6cf6&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I'm all for giving Bruce a day off, just not today. I would've waited and given him a day off vs a LHP.

Bruce needing a day off was obvious, the EdE news is what bothers me. I thought he was getting close. I hope its just a minor bump in the road and he's not back to square one.

Big Klu
06-07-2009, 12:24 PM

But when are the Reds scheduled to face a LHP? Under optimal conditions, I would agree with you, and Dusty probably would, too. But there aren't any opposing lefties on the horizon at this point, and Bruce could use a day off. With the travel day tomorrow, he gets two days for the price of one.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 01:02 PM
But when are the Reds scheduled to face a LHP? Under optimal conditions, I would agree with you, and Dusty probably would, too. But there aren't any opposing lefties on the horizon at this point, and Bruce could use a day off. With the travel day tomorrow, he gets two days for the price of one.

The Reds are facing a lefty in Washington.

*BaseClogger*
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
BC were/are you a big Norris Hopper fan?

Not really, but I think he is one of those underrated-overrated players here on RZ. But really I just forgot he was taken off of the 40-man roster... :)

Big Klu
06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
The Reds are facing a lefty in Washington.

Who? The last I checked, right-hander Jordan Zimmerman pitches for the Nats on Tuesday, and they are listed as undecided on Wednesday and Thursday.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Who? The last I checked, right-hander Jordan Zimmerman pitches for the Nats on Tuesday, and are listed as undecided on Wednesday and Thursday.

Ross Detwiler is supposed to pitch on Wednesday or Thursday.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Brandon Phillips tells it as it is
By Hal McCoy | Sunday, June 7, 2009, 02:16 PM

Brandon Phillips - you have to love the guy. Brutally honest. Brutally self-deprecating. He calls a jack a jack and a diamond a diamond and if you don’t like it, deal the cards elsewhere.

After the Reds lost horrendously Sunday, a 6-3 14-inning affair to the Chicago Cubs during which they stranded 16 baserunners, Phillips was on a roll. Mike Lincoln, manager Dusty Baker’s eighth and last available pitcher, gave up a home run to Alfonso Soriano on his first pitch in the 14th and then two more runs.

What did Phillips say?

“Mike Lincoln never should have had to be in that game,” he said. “We should have won it long before he took the mound. He should have been home in bed after a win for us long before he was on the mound.

“That was a terrible game. The pitchers did their job but the position players sucked. We deserved to lose. We had so many chances with one out and guys in scoring position. We two outs I can understand it not happening, but not with only one out.

“Down the road this loss might hurt us, the way our division is,” Phillips continued. “We might need this win.”

Phillips tossed a piece of gear into his travel bag and said, “We need to go beat the Washington Nationals into the ground.” The Reds are off Monday, then play three in Washington and three over the weekend in Kansas City.

What irked Phillips even more was when he saw that both Milwaukee and St. Louis lost Sunday and the Reds muffed a chance go gain ground on the leaders. “I said Friday after we lost to the Cubs that I thought we were the better team. Then we played like today and saying that made me look bad.”

JAY BRUCE WAS not in Sunday’s lineup against the Cubs and was told to sit near manager Dusty Baker for at least two innings. It wasn’t punishment, not like a teacher ordering a dunce to sit in the first chair in front of her desk.

It was tutorial time, even though Baker didn’t know Bruce was 2 for 33. All he said was, “All I know is the law of averages are with him and somebody is going to pay.”

“Dusty told me I was going to sit next to him today and learn some stuff,” said Bruce. “I’ll take it in for a couple of innings, then be ready for whatever task I’m given.”

Baker said Sunday’s day off and a day off for the team today should serve Bruce well to sit back, observe and organize his thoughts.

“It’s tough on you mentally when you aren’t getting hits and you’re used to getting hits,” said Baker. “He’s been better the last few days on pitch selection and not chasing bad pitches. He’s taking some walks. I talked to him about narrowing that strike-zone box, make the pitcher come into that box and the walks go up, the RBIs go up and the batting average goes up.”

Whatever Dusty and Bruce discussed worked - for one day, for one at-bat. Bruce pinch-hit in the seventh and drove a double to left-center, didn’t try to pull it.

UMPIRE SUPERVISOR Bruce Froemming was seated in the press box for the second straight game and told a great story about his first year of umpiring, when he was 19 years old and fresh out of umpiring school in Daytona Beach, Fla.

It was his first week in the old Northern League and he was working a series between Duluth and Superior. In his first game he reversed a call on the other umpire that went against Duluth and the pressbox erupted.

“Then they got after me in the newspaper,” said Froemming. “I was there a week and every day in the paper it was, ‘Froemming did this and Froemming did that,’ in big headlines. I got tired of it.”

So before the next game, Froemming ordered the pressbox cleared. Everybody out. The writers refused to leave. Froemming threatened to forfeit the game to Superior. The Duluth management convinced the writers to leave so it wouldn’t have to refund ticket money.

“The main guy I threw out was Arnold Gotha of the Duluth paper and he later worked in Detroit,” said Froemming. “Hey, I was young and they told me I was in charge of the field and to me the press box was part of the field, so I cleared it.”

I asked Froemming who was the best pitcher he ever saw and I got a litany of Hall of Fame and All-Star pitchers.

“Bob Gibson was the best athlete,” said Froemming. “He could throw, hit, run, he was smart and he threw strikes. And if you hit a home run off him and watched it too long you knew what was coming the next at-bat. He’d bury one in your ribs.”

Froemming, of course, listed Nolan Ryan and said, “I worked the plate for his fifth no-hitter, a Saturday afternoon in Houston in 1981 against the Dodgers.”

He also listed Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Greg Maddux, Bob Veale (“Nasty when he could throw strikes, as was John Candelaria.”), Don Sutton (“Great stuff.”), Don Gullett and Randy Johnson.

And one other? “I worked the plate in Class D in Michigan City, Ind. for a guy named Juan Marichal,” he said. “And Jose Tartabull was on that team. A great team.”

Ah, great stuff for us old-timers.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

reds44
06-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I love Brandon Phillips.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I love Brandon Phillips.

Everything he said was true.

HeatherC1212
06-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Brandon is absolutely right. The Reds should have won that game today LONG before the extra innings. What a frustrating day. :bang:

RichRed
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
It's true the Reds had plenty of chances to win the game, but so did the Cubs. Just a tough loss that could've gone either way.

Jpup
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
It's true the Reds had plenty of chances to win the game, but so did the Cubs. Just a tough loss that could've gone either way.

you are right, but neither team is very good. The Cubs are brutal and Reds are not very good because of their anemic offense. If they could get Joey and Edwin back, I think they could finish second to Milwaukee.

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
From Lance's blog:

Classic
Fan behind home plate Sunday was wearing a t-shirt that said "101 years....Cubs Suck!"
A security guard came down and asked him to take it off.
The fan reached into a bag and pulled out another t-shirt. This one said "101 years...Cubs Stink"

Why should he have to take the shirt off? GABP is the Reds ballpark, if Cubs fans don't like it then don't show up.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
From Lance's blog:

Classic
Fan behind home plate Sunday was wearing a t-shirt that said "101 years....Cubs Suck!"
The fan reached into a bag and pulled out another t-shirt. This one said "101 years...Cubs Stink"

Why should he have to take the shirt off? GABP is the Reds ballpark, if Cubs fans don't like it then don't show up.

WT..? Geez political correctness at it's worst. Thanks to the fan who thought ahead! :thumbup:

KoryMac5
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I could see if it had profanity on the shirt, or was in poor taste, I really don't get this one at all.

fearofpopvol1
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
From Lance's blog:

Classic

Wow, I'm disappointed in the Reds organization/security for that. That's not profane.

Way to censor something that doesn't even need censoring.

princeton
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Edwin Encarnacion (chipped bone/left wrist) has had a little setback in his rehab and will have an MRI on Monday, Baker said. Encarnacion remains sore after hitting and working out the past few days. "That's a very delicate area," Baker said. "A lot of little bones in there. He might have over-hit.

can't be true. EdE is under-hitting in 2009.

traderumor
06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, I'm disappointed in the Reds organization/security for that. That's not profane.

Way to censor something that doesn't even need censoring.Maybe not to you. Suck still means what it did to some/many viewers/patrons.

fearofpopvol1
06-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe not to you. Suck still means what it did to some/many viewers/patrons.

The majority of people aren't offended by that. If people are offended by the word "sucks," they have no business being at the ballpark in the first place. People yell and shout MUCH worse things than the word "sucks" there. And usually, without penalty.

Now, I could maybe see if someone were wearing it in the "family section," but that wasn't the case and the word "sucks" is not offensive.

bucksfan2
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
The majority of people aren't offended by that. If people are offended by the word "sucks," they have no business being at the ballpark in the first place. People yell and shout MUCH worse things than the word "sucks" there. And usually, without penalty.

Now, I could maybe see if someone were wearing it in the "family section," but that wasn't the case and the word "sucks" is not offensive.

My nephews and sister-in-law were in town the other weekend. I said "damn" and my nephews told their mom that I said the "D" word. Then in the next conversation one of them said "sucks" and no one batted an eye. I thought it was interesting because I had always though of the two words in reverse.

IMO sucks should be allowed at a game. If I have an unruly fan sitting by me at a game I would be ok with him saying sucks often over other obvious words. If a young kid asked me what "sucks" mean it is very easy to explain. I am perfectly fine with that being on a shirt at a Reds game.

princeton
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
the word "sucks" is not offensive.

of course it is. It's intended to be.

KoryMac5
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I think for some folks the word "sucks" has evolved away from its initial vulgarity. An article in Slate breaks this down further for those wanting to take a closer look at the debate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146866/

traderumor
06-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Hmmm, maybe I'll have a t-shirt made and wear it at next year's mother's day game--"moms suck."

fearofpopvol1
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Hmmm, maybe I'll have a t-shirt made and wear it at next year's mother's day game--"moms suck."

How is that much (if any) different than a shirt that says "Mom's stink?"

traderumor
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
How is that much (if any) different than a shirt that says "Mom's stink?"I don't know, try it out. I double dog dare you ;)

cumberlandreds
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know, try it out. I double dog dare you ;)

I triple dog dare you. Now that's the coup de grace in dares. :p:

traderumor
06-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I triple dog dare you. Now that's the coup de grace in dares. :p:Well, now he's got to do it.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Dunn won't bite and other pregame notes
Posted by JohnFay at 6/9/2009 5:24 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Adam Dunn took the higher ground. Informed of Brandon Phillips’ statement about Laynce Nix: “It’s nice to have a left fielder who can hit and catch the ball,” Dunn smiled.

“That nice,” he said.

After a round of batting practice, Dunn added this: “He does that sometimes. He goes off. It’s harmless. Brandon needs to me let me go. I’m not over there anymore.”

Other pregame notes:

--Joey Votto worked out yesterday and again today.

Votto, who is eligible to come off the DL Sunday, could begin a rehab assignment at any time. “He could,” Dusty Baker said. “But I don’t want to put a timetable on it. He’s getting better. He’s working on coming back.”

--An MRI on Edwin Encarnacion wrist confirmed that he had a setback. “He’s not going to out on a rehab,” Baker said. “He’s going to take some more treatment. Hand is tough thing. He won’t hit for a few days.”

--Jonny Gomes looked at the Nationals pitching lineup for the series and said: “We’ve got some action.” The Nats are left-handers tonight (Ross Detwiler) and Thursday (John Lannan). With left-handers starting, Gomes will be in the lineup.

--Willy Taveras said his right hamstring is better. “Almost 100 percent,” he said.

--The tarp is on the field and there is thunder, lightning and high winds in the area. Hopefully, it blows through before game time.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae02cf47f-f84e-4851-89c9-1f9bb69181bf&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=slgmAsEdEFzA59gSqKx/1x5EKoC/Cz+17npQouBJcek%3D

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Dunn on Phillips: ‘Nice, really nice’
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 03:07 PM

ADAM DUNN hadn’t heard the words from Brandon Phillips, the words Phillips in St. Louis, words obviously aimed at Dunn without using his name.

Laynce Nix had a big day against the Cardinals, a couple of hits and a couple of outstanding catches and I asked Phillips after the game about Nix. One of the things he said was, “It’s great to have a guy who not only hits the ball but catches the ball.”

Said Dunn when told of the comment, “Nice. Real nice. I’ll have to ask Brandon about it. Second thought, no I won’t. I could probably think of something nasty or humorous to say. But, hey, that’s Brandon. He has to let me go. I’m not there any more. Let me go.”

Dunn said some nice things about the Reds: “Reds are doing good, huh? Good pitching.” When told the Reds could use his bat, Dunn said, “No, they don’t. They’re doing just fine.”

Then he asked about Jay Bruce by saying, “Jay’s scuffling, huh? What’s he doing? Swinging at everything? Yeah, I know about that. You feel like you have to swing early in the count so you don’t get behind.”

When told Bruce was 2 for 33, Dunn laughed and said, “I’m 3 for 38. But I don’t feel bad at the plate. I feel good. Whatever.” Dunn jumped into the batting cage and somebody said it isn’t likely the Reds would pitch to him and Dunn, always self-deprecating, “Why wouldn’t they? I would.”

JOEY VOTTO worked out at Great American Ball Park Monday and today and will continue while the Reds are on the road. He is working with trainer Mark Mann, who didn’t make the trip because of a broken foot. Votto is eligible to come off the DL Sunday and manager Dusty Baker was asked if he might start minor-league rehab Thursday or Friday and be ready.

“Don’t want to put any kind of schedule on him,” said Baker.

EDWIN ENCARNACION suffered a setback and won’t be leaving for minor-league rehab any time soon. An MRI Monday was not good. Said Baker, “He isn’t going to rehab now. He’s with us on the trip and he’ll take treatment. No baseball work jright now - maybe in a couple of days if the soreness (in his cracked wrist).”

TO ALL THOSE who offered advice and a couple who offered lodging in D.C., thanks much.

Thanks to Chris Welsh and Reds Traveling Secretary Gary Wahoff, I made it into the Reds hotel. Welsh gave up his room because he is staying elsewhere and Wahoff changed trhe rooming list and put me where Welsh would have been.

WHISKED THROUGH check-in at the U.S. Airways counter this morning, thanks to a helpful young woman, whisked through TSA security (those guys know me from my frequent visists at the Dayton airport and are great), whisked from the gatehouse onto the plane, departed five minutes early, then…

I knew it was going too good. We taxied out and just were about to take off when the pilot said a storm hit the D.C. and air traffic control had everything on hold. We left 45 minutes late and arrived 30 minutes late. Always something - but not U.S. Airways’ fault.

TOOK A CAB from the hotel to Nationals Stadium. The cabbie didn’t look like a high-brown, but he had Mozart on his radio all the way to the park, Mozart as we passed the World War II Memorial, Mozart as we passed the Washington Monument, Mozart as we passed the Jefferson Memorial, Mozart as he cruised up Capitol SE to the ballpark.

GREAT VIEW over the left field stands - the Capitol Building Dome looks as if it is only a couple of blocks away. It is much farther. The great news! There is a Five Guys & Fries in the ballpark. If you haven’t partaken of Five Guys & Fries, well, the best burgers anywhere and more fries in a brown paper sack than you can possibly eat. There is a Five Guys in Cincinnati near UC and a Five Guys in Columbus near Polaris.

Dunn's a great guy. I love that dude.

kaldaniels
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Dunn on Phillips: ‘Nice, really nice’
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 03:07 PM

ADAM DUNN hadn’t heard the words from Brandon Phillips, the words Phillips in St. Louis, words obviously aimed at Dunn without using his name.

Laynce Nix had a big day against the Cardinals, a couple of hits and a couple of outstanding catches and I asked Phillips after the game about Nix. One of the things he said was, “It’s great to have a guy who not only hits the ball but catches the ball.”

Said Dunn when told of the comment, “Nice. Real nice. I’ll have to ask Brandon about it. Second thought, no I won’t. I could probably think of something nasty or humorous to say. But, hey, that’s Brandon. He has to let me go. I’m not there any more. Let me go.”

Dunn said some nice things about the Reds: “Reds are doing good, huh? Good pitching.” When told the Reds could use his bat, Dunn said, “No, they don’t. They’re doing just fine.”

Then he asked about Jay Bruce by saying, “Jay’s scuffling, huh? What’s he doing? Swinging at everything? Yeah, I know about that. You feel like you have to swing early in the count so you don’t get behind.”

When told Bruce was 2 for 33, Dunn laughed and said, “I’m 3 for 38. But I don’t feel bad at the plate. I feel good. Whatever.” Dunn jumped into the batting cage and somebody said it isn’t likely the Reds would pitch to him and Dunn, always self-deprecating, “Why wouldn’t they? I would.”

JOEY VOTTO worked out at Great American Ball Park Monday and today and will continue while the Reds are on the road. He is working with trainer Mark Mann, who didn’t make the trip because of a broken foot. Votto is eligible to come off the DL Sunday and manager Dusty Baker was asked if he might start minor-league rehab Thursday or Friday and be ready.

“Don’t want to put any kind of schedule on him,” said Baker.

EDWIN ENCARNACION suffered a setback and won’t be leaving for minor-league rehab any time soon. An MRI Monday was not good. Said Baker, “He isn’t going to rehab now. He’s with us on the trip and he’ll take treatment. No baseball work jright now - maybe in a couple of days if the soreness (in his cracked wrist).”

TO ALL THOSE who offered advice and a couple who offered lodging in D.C., thanks much.

Thanks to Chris Welsh and Reds Traveling Secretary Gary Wahoff, I made it into the Reds hotel. Welsh gave up his room because he is staying elsewhere and Wahoff changed trhe rooming list and put me where Welsh would have been.

WHISKED THROUGH check-in at the U.S. Airways counter this morning, thanks to a helpful young woman, whisked through TSA security (those guys know me from my frequent visists at the Dayton airport and are great), whisked from the gatehouse onto the plane, departed five minutes early, then…

I knew it was going too good. We taxied out and just were about to take off when the pilot said a storm hit the D.C. and air traffic control had everything on hold. We left 45 minutes late and arrived 30 minutes late. Always something - but not U.S. Airways’ fault.

TOOK A CAB from the hotel to Nationals Stadium. The cabbie didn’t look like a high-brown, but he had Mozart on his radio all the way to the park, Mozart as we passed the World War II Memorial, Mozart as we passed the Washington Monument, Mozart as we passed the Jefferson Memorial, Mozart as he cruised up Capitol SE to the ballpark.

GREAT VIEW over the left field stands - the Capitol Building Dome looks as if it is only a couple of blocks away. It is much farther. The great news! There is a Five Guys & Fries in the ballpark. If you haven’t partaken of Five Guys & Fries, well, the best burgers anywhere and more fries in a brown paper sack than you can possibly eat. There is a Five Guys in Cincinnati near UC and a Five Guys in Columbus near Polaris.

Dunn's a great guy. I love that dude.

I'll never say a bad word about Adam Dunn as a man...he is a class act and sounds like a fun guy to be around...so tip of the cap to him for not escalating this...:thumbup:

But how a HOF writer resorts to such child-like tendencies is beyond my comprehension. Like the kid on the playground who tries to instigate a fight. Wag of my finger to you Hal. (Let me know if I am wrong about McCoy asking the question) :thumbdown

SMcGavin
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM

This exchange pretty much sums up the character of these two men, doesn't it?

cincrazy
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll never say a bad word about Adam Dunn as a man...he is a class act and sounds like a fun guy to be around...so tip of the cap to him for not escalating this...:thumbup:

But how a HOF writer resorts to such child-like tendencies is beyond my comprehension. Like the kid on the playground who tries to instigate a fight. Wag of my finger to you Hal. (Let me know if I am wrong about McCoy asking the question) :thumbdown

I don't think it's fair to call Hal into question... I hold a journalism degree, and if I were in Hal's shoes, I'd do the same thing. It's his job to report news. If the players give him news to report, even if its news that might start something, so be it. Brandon shouldn't have been dumb enough to make such a statement, especially to a beat reporter.

Brutus
06-09-2009, 10:50 PM
This exchange pretty much sums up the character of these two men, doesn't it?

No, it really does not.

Not many people really think this is a big deal. Other than Hal bringing it up and a handful of posters here making an issue of it, this really is not a big deal. I think it's not terribly prudent to demonize anyone because of this situation.

kaldaniels
06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to call Hal into question... I hold a journalism degree, and if I were in Hal's shoes, I'd do the same thing. It's his job to report news. If the players give him news to report, even if its news that might start something, so be it. Brandon shouldn't have been dumb enough to make such a statement, especially to a beat reporter.

But doesn't the fact that Philips didn't call Dunn out by name give him some sort of protection. If BP had used Dunns name or referred to the 2008 season...I wouldn't mind Hal mentioning it to Dunn. But the way I read the article BP may have been implying Dunn, but he never said a word on record to confirm it. John Fay wrote about the same exchange with Dunn, so I will add that it may not have been Hal who asked it to BP.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I still think the Phillips quote was misconstrued. Not a smart comment...but it's been blown out of proportion. I don't think it was meant to be an attack at Dunn.

Btw, there was a BIG HUG between both Phillips and Dunn that looked completely genuine.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Cueto on pace to be an All-Star
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 09:57 PM

JOHNNY CUETO can be exasperating in the first inning, as he was Tuesday night, but when he gets out of it, as he did Tuesday against the Washingon Nationals, he is the best starting pitcher on the Cincinnati Reds staff.

Cueto showed some imagination Tuesday. He put four runners on base in the first inning, but none scored, thanks to an incredible double play started by shortstop Alex Gonzalez. Cueto gave up two hits and two walks in the first.

Then he closed the vault with a thud.

From the second through the seventh he gave up two hits, one a home run to Elijah Dukes. He is 6-3 with one of the league’s best earned run averages, 2.33. If he continues for a month he is my candidate to be an All-Star.

Brandon Phillips gave Cueto a comfort zone in the fifth, breaking a 1-1 tie with a two-run double that skittered just inside the first base bag. Arthur Rhodes gave up an eighth-inning home run to Cristian Guzman but the Reds hung on, 3-2.

The 15-41 Nationals are on pace to lose 120 games, which would tie the 1962 New York Mets, a team about which its manager, Casey Stengel once asked, “Can anybody here play this game?”

I SWEAR ON a stack of Baseball Digests that four seats down from me there is a guy sound asleep in the press box. I mean, the Nationals probably are boring to watch every day, but if you’re coming to cover the game, mix in some coffee and No-Doz. They made a couple of announcement at loud volume and the guy never opened his eyes.

SOME FAMILIAR faces in Nationals Park, besides former Reds outfielders Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns. Former Reds relief pitcher Rob Dibble, one-third of the famed Nasty Boys, is part of the Nats’ broadcast team. Former Reds player and manager Ray Knight does a pre-game and post-game TV show for the Nationals.

The Dibble stories are legendary — his fight with manager Lou Piniella, his tossing of a baseball into the center field seat that struck an elementary school teacher, his throwing at the legs of Doug Dascenzo as he ran up the first base line after bunting, his dumping of ice water over the head of writer Mike Paolercio. They’ve all been documented here in the past.

Here’s one you probably haven’t heard about. When the Reds trained in Plant City, there was a large retaining pond behind the right field wall, home to a 10-foot alligator. One game Dibble was rocked, never got a batter out. The clubhouse was also behind the right field wall, next to the pond.

Dibble walked into the clubhouse and gathers a stack of chairs from in front of several players’ lockers, walked to the edge of the pond and heaved them into the water.

We were in the pressbox and never would have known about it, except the son of Colubmus Dispatch writer Bob Hunter happened to be playing between the clubhouse and the pond and saw Dibble’s chair-heaving act.

He was forced to pay for the chairs. They should have made him wade in and retrieve them, but they probably feared for the alligator’s life.

KNIGHT WAS a fun guy, too. Remember when he played third base for the Mets and Eric Davis did a hard pop-up slide into third base. Well, when Davis popped up. Knight popped him - right in nose. Down went Davis, down went Davis.

When Knight managed the Reds he missed several games because of kidney stones and once told the beat writers, “My doctor said I’m the world’s largest producer of kidney stones.” So what did he want us to do with them, line our driveway with them?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/09/_some_familiar_faces_in.html

Ron Madden
06-10-2009, 04:20 AM

It's lazy journalism.

It's what Beat Writers do when they don't understand very much about baseball.

:)

RedlegJake
06-10-2009, 08:01 AM
He was forced to pay for the chairs. They should have made him wade in and retrieve them, but they probably feared for the alligator’s life.

That's funny right there. I don't care what anybody says.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Phillips v. Dunn II, other notes
Posted by JohnFay at 6/10/2009 5:45 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

You might have seen Brandon Phillips and Adam Dunn going back and forth a little bit after a double play in the sixth inning last night’s game.

“We were talking stuff the whole game,” Phillips said. “It was nothing. That’s my home boy.”

Phillips also said that when he said this about Laynce Nix: “It’s nice to have a left fielder who can hit and catch the ball” that it wasn’t a thinly veiled shot at Dunn’s defense.

“I didn’t mean that,” Phillips said. “I was just talking Nix. Dunn can catch the ball. He’s a great player. That why he gets the big bucks.”

ENCARNACION UPDATE: Edwin Encarnacion hopes to begin swinging the bat Friday or Saturday.

He’s clearly frustrated with his left hand/wrist.

“I wait one month and then I have pain again,” he said. “I love baseball. I want to play. It’s hard to watch the game from the bench.”

Encarnacion isn’t back at square one.

“I just have a little of inflammation,” he said.

LINEUP SWITCH: Jerry Hairston Jr. is in the leadoff spot and Willy Taveras second for tonight’s game.

“It’s temporary,” Baker said. “Willy missed some time. He was struggling a little bit before. He’s struggling even more since he’s been back.

Willy is my leadoff man. Sometimes, you got to make a change because when the leadoff man ain’t getting on base he ain’t no leadoff man.
When he’s getting on base, there’s a lot happening.”

Taveras went into Wednesday 0-for-his-last-15.

MORE VOTTO: Baker was asked by a Washington reporter how the Reds missed Joey Votto.

“A lot, of course,” Baker said. “Joey means to this team – he’s not the player yet as these guys – but Joey’s as important to us as Albert (Pujols) is to the Cardinals or (Alex Rodriguez) is the Yankees. He was leading the league in hitting.

“The game waits for nobody. You’ve got to carry on until that person gets back. I’m not being cold or crass. That’s fact.

“Joey is doing everything he can to get back here.”

Baker added that Votto is better.

“That’s all I can tell you,” he said. “You tell in anybody’s voice.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a7512aa61-ee4b-44a2-994c-a04ab39519b5&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
What was said between Dunn-Phillips
By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 03:27 PM

SOME OF YOU may have noticed an exchange of words around second base in the sixth inning between Adam Dunn and Brandon Phillips.

Dunn was on first when Washington’s Elijah Dukes grounded to Cincinnati Reds shortstop Alex Gonzalez near second. Gonzalez stepped on second and threw to first for a double play.

As second baseman Phillips ran off the field, past Dunn, he said (according to Dunn), “Why didn’t you slide and take out Gonzalez? You would have taken me out.” Said Dunn, “I like Alex better than you. And you wouldn’t have been near the bag anyway.”

Said Phillips, dodging the controversy (if you can call it that), “He wasn’t close enough to take out Alex. Hey, he (Dunn) loves us. He’s our homeboy.” At the time Phillips was taking hitting instruction from batting coach Brook Jacaboy and Jacoby laughed and said, “That’s love. That’s brotherly love.”

MANAGER DUSTY BAKER made a lineup adjustment Wednesday, flip-flopping Willy Tavers (leadoff to second) and Jerry Hairston Jr. (second to leadoff).

“Just temporary,” said Baker. “Willy hasn’t been playing much and Hairston is swinging the bat a little bit better. This will give Willy some non at-bats - sacrifice bunt, hit-and-run, whatever - because he missed some time and he was struggling litte before and struggling more since he’s been back. Just temporary. He’s my leadoff guy.

“Sometimes you just have to make a change,” Baker added. “If your leadoff guy isn’t getting on base, nothing is happening. If he is getting on base, there is a lot happening.”

Taveras was 0 for 5 Tuesday, reached base on a fielder’s choice in the ninth and was thrown out trying to steal.

SOME NUT JOB/FRUITCAKE walked into the National Holocaust Museum this afternoon and opened fire with a shotgun. At last report, two people were shot and injured and the guy, reportedly an 80-year-old white supremacist, was shot and injured.

I ask: How does an 80-year-old guy carrying a shotgun get inside the door of any Washington landmark. Certainly they didn’t think he was duck-hunting.

My cab driver said, as I got in the car, “They’ve closed the Mall area and parts of downtown so I’m going to try to skirt traffic.” We meandered the streets of Washington until finally Nationals Park appeared.

Said the driver, “Some people would think I was just running up the meter.” I checked the meter. It was two dollars cheaper than my ride Tuesday, without “skirting traffic.” Gee, I wonder which cabbie was running up the meter?

HAD LUNCH today at the Luna Diner on Connecticut with my dentist, Dr. Gary Porter, his father and two of his friends, in town for the Reds games. They were at the Orioles-Mariners game Tuesday in Baltimore. Great lunch. Had breakfast at this place last year and it was fantastic.

One of Dr. Porter’s buddies ask about beer and the waitress said, “We have a number interesting beers on tap.” He said, “OK, bring me an interesting beer.” She brought one and I took a sip. Interesting. And good. What brand? We never asked.

FUNNY STORY from Dusty Baker about getting around in D.C. and this was last year.

“My buddy said he knew his way around D.C. and, man, we got so lost trying to find the ballpark,” he said. “Where we were was so dark I thought the CIA was going to jump out of the bushes. We went across come bridge and we went miles and miles. It was so dark. Man, where are we? About 45 minutes we ended up wandering through Georgetown. I didn’t know where we were other than I saw some CIA stuff, some CIA signs.”

Anybody who has seen ESPN’s Tim Kirkjian interview a player knows that he is a short guy, about 5-foot-5. On Wednesday he walked into the Reds clubhouse and asked me, “Where’s Daniel Ray Herrera? I want to finally interview a guy with whom I can see eye-to-eye.” Herrera, a 5-foot-6, is a tad taller, but it was great watching the eye-to-eye interview.

Despite his height, though, Kirkjian is an outstanding baseball player. He can shoot with the best. I’ve seen it. Years ago during the World Series a bunch of writers got together to play basketball and I was part of it. I’m 6-2 and played high school ball at Akron East and Timmy K. took me to school (on the basketball floor, not in a bus).

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/10/some_nut_jobfruitcake_walked_i.html

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Phillips v. Dunn II, other notes
Posted by JohnFay at 6/10/2009 5:45 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

You might have seen Brandon Phillips and Adam Dunn going back and forth a little bit after a double play in the sixth inning last night’s game.

“We were talking stuff the whole game,” Phillips said. “It was nothing. That’s my home boy.”

Phillips also said that when he said this about Laynce Nix: “It’s nice to have a left fielder who can hit and catch the ball” that it wasn’t a thinly veiled shot at Dunn’s defense.

“I didn’t mean that,” Phillips said. “I was just talking Nix. Dunn can catch the ball. He’s a great player. That why he gets the big bucks.”

ENCARNACION UPDATE: Edwin Encarnacion hopes to begin swinging the bat Friday or Saturday.

He’s clearly frustrated with his left hand/wrist.

“I wait one month and then I have pain again,” he said. “I love baseball. I want to play. It’s hard to watch the game from the bench.”

Encarnacion isn’t back at square one.

“I just have a little of inflammation,” he said.

LINEUP SWITCH: Jerry Hairston Jr. is in the leadoff spot and Willy Taveras second for tonight’s game.

“It’s temporary,” Baker said. “Willy missed some time. He was struggling a little bit before. He’s struggling even more since he’s been back.

Willy is my leadoff man. Sometimes, you got to make a change because when the leadoff man ain’t getting on base he ain’t no leadoff man.
When he’s getting on base, there’s a lot happening.”

Taveras went into Wednesday 0-for-his-last-15.

MORE VOTTO: Baker was asked by a Washington reporter how the Reds missed Joey Votto.

“A lot, of course,” Baker said. “Joey means to this team – he’s not the player yet as these guys – but Joey’s as important to us as Albert (Pujols) is to the Cardinals or (Alex Rodriguez) is the Yankees. He was leading the league in hitting.

“The game waits for nobody. You’ve got to carry on until that person gets back. I’m not being cold or crass. That’s fact.

“Joey is doing everything he can to get back here.”

Baker added that Votto is better.

“That’s all I can tell you,” he said. “You tell in anybody’s voice.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a7512aa61-ee4b-44a2-994c-a04ab39519b5&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

This is great news about Votto. Really really good.

And maybe EdE will be back sooner than we originally thought.

KoryMac5
06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
These writers are sure trying to sir some things up between Dunn and Phillips. I think there isn't much to it at all, time to bury it on the back pages folks.

CTA513
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Dunn and Phillips should team up against the writers in a steel cage match after game 3 of the series.

:fineprint

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 02:10 AM
It all came out in the wash - another win
By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 09:59 PM

Adam Dunn wasn’t kidding when he said, “It rains every friggin’ day here. I kid you not, dude.” And as the course of the night progressed, it rained hardest on Dunn’s head.

But this? This was ridiculous. The Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals played 8 1/2 innings Wednesday night before the rain came this time - the fifth straight time rain hit and affected a Washington game.

The Reds led, 2-0, in the bottom of the ninth when closer Coco Cordero walked the leadoff hitter and was 3-and-2 on Josh Willingham when lightning and a heavy rain caused the umpires to flee for cover while the tarp was applied.

It was the ninth rain delay of the season for the Reds. And I haven’t carried an umbrella or a rain coat to any of them.

OK, now. The last four games: an 11-inning game. a 14-game game that lasted more than five hours. A game that’s start was delayed 1:47. And a game that combined both a rain delay and extra innings - a 2:10 delay and 11 innings.

Yeah, I wanted to be a baseball writer. I should have been a basketball writer - a roof, quick games, no muss, no fuss.

Some amazing things in this game, finally won in the 12th inning when pinch-hitter Jonny Gomes doubled home a run for a 4-2 victory.

THE REDS’ first five batters in the order went 0 for 20 in nine innings, 2 for 24 for the night. And they still won.

JAY BRUCE, 3 for his last 38, hit a two-run homer in the second and doubled in the seventh. Two hits. The Reds had three the first nine innings.

AARON HARANG pitched 7 2/3 innings, giving up no runs and five hits for the seventh straight quality start by a Reds pitcher, 10th in 11 games. And received nothing but heavy duty work for his efforts.

ADAM DUNN was the Reds’ best friend. In the first he popped out with a runner on first and two outs. In the third he popped up with runners on first and third with two outs. In the sixth, he got picked off second base with runners on first and second and two outs. In the eighth he grounded out to first with a runner on first and two outs.

Harang didn’t win, 2-0, because closer Coco Cordero blew his first save since july 21, 2008, covering 29 opportunities. He began the ninth by walking a batter and going 2-2 on the next before the rain came.

After the delay, Cordero was back on the mound and he gave up two runs to tie it, 2-2.

Manager Dusty Bakeer’s explanation? “That’s similar to a closer closing both ends of a doubleheader. Same thing. He said he felt great. I conferred with (pitching coach) Dick Pole and we talked to Cordero. Hey, he walked the guy before the rain and walked the guy after the rain and both scored. He’s our closer and it just didn’t work this time.

“Bottom line, we won. But we never do anything easy. That’s not how we drew it up or scripted it, but they tied it and we came back to win it.”

GOMES SAT for 8 1/2 innings, then sat for 3 1/2 more after sitting in the clubhouse for the 2:10 rain delay. Then he rips the game-winner.

“No melthod to the madness,” he said. “I just took a swing and it fell. Two outs, runner on second, you just want to miss all the gloves.”

Asked what he did during the rain delay, Gomes said, “I watched the end of the Red Sox-Yankees game, I watched the end of the Phillies-Mets game and I watched the end of the Brewers-Rockies game.”

Then he helped end the Reds-Nationals game.

ONE OF THE players had his kid in the clubhouse before the game and Jonny Gomes, a throwback to when the clubhouse was a sanctity, walked past and muttered, “What is this, Romper Room?”

Brandon Phillips pinned the kid down on table and made him say, “Brandon Phillips is the best.” Made him say it louder each time.

WHEN THE REDS have their Civil Rights Game, manager Dusty Baker said his wife, Melissa, and son, Darren, will take the red-eye to Cincinnati, “After Darrin’s All-Star game. It has been a very eventful year for them, the Inauguration and the Civil Rights Gaqme. That’s pretty heavy - although most young people don’t know what ‘heavy’ means in this context.”

WHAT DO players do during rain delays? They got to the clubhouse and play cards, listen to music, drink coffee, snack and, if they’re ahead, hope the game is called. If they’re behind, they hope it is resumed - unless it is the Washington Nationals who probably don’t care one way or the other.

And what do the writers do in the press box. Well, the media dining room is cleaned and closed. No food. No card playing. Mostly we sit surfing the internet, talking to each other (lies, lies, lies) and listen to Bob Seger singing Night Moves on the stadium public address system.

I see no people, zero, waiting under the stands for the game to continue. When play resumed, less than 100 were still there and they were all standing behind the two dugouts.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/10/adam_dunn_wasnt_kidding_when.html

cumberlandreds
06-11-2009, 07:52 AM
The raining the this area(DC) is just crazy this spring. I have lived in this area for 19 years and never seen a spring like this with so much rain. Expect more rain delays today if they get it in at all. There's a 50% chance of showers during the day and an 80% chance tonight. Plus there's a flood watch. The 4:30 start time is about the time they have been cranking up here lately so it looks bad to play today. I know I am sick of all this rain. It seems everyday for the last month it has come a shower or thunderstorm. It can quit raining for the couple of months and it wouldn't bother me.

membengal
06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
In a year where the Reds' offensive woes have been exacerbated by seemingly catching every single TOR starter or ace the opponent boasts, they are catching a break. Barring a rainout in the KC game, Grienke is going today against Cleveland, which means the Reds miss him this weekend. A bonus, Meche went yesterday, so the Reds are getting KC's 3-5 starters over the weekend...

Tony Cloninger
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I do not think it matters who starts against them.....they have some really bad hitters on this team.

Only 2 with any consistency are Votto...Hernandez...and Hanigan...and Hanigan is really bad with men on base.

Dusty reasoning is terrible....just admit you screwed up and own up to it.

Jpup
06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
These writers are sure trying to sir some things up between Dunn and Phillips. I think there isn't much to it at all, time to bury it on the back pages folks.

Brandon Phillips doesn't like Adam Dunn. That's a fact. I do agree that Hal trying to stir the pot is a little silly. Phillips wants the spotlight to himself and that's great for Brandon, but the comments he makes does not show that he is a leader of men. He wants to be the face of the franchise, but he has no idea how. I will give him credit that he does stand up for his teammates most of the time.

membengal
06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I do not think it matters who starts against them.....they have some really bad hitters on this team.

Only 2 with any consistency are Votto...Hernandez...and Hanigan...and Hanigan is really bad with men on base.

Dusty reasoning is terrible....just admit you screwed up and own up to it.

Agree. To an extent. All things being equal though, give me Ponson instead of Grienke. Just sayin'.

bucksfan2
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Brandon Phillips doesn't like Adam Dunn. That's a fact. I do agree that Hal trying to stir the pot is a little silly. Phillips wants the spotlight to himself and that's great for Brandon, but the comments he makes does not show that he is a leader of men. He wants to be the face of the franchise, but he has no idea how. I will give him credit that he does stand up for his teammates most of the time.

I don't think its that Phillips doesn't like Adam Dunn the person, I think he doesn't like Dunn the ball player. None of us really know the dynamic inside the clubhouse last season. None of us know what the work ethic of each individual player was.

IMO the Phillips Dunn situation may be similar to this. Back in HS I was a good golfer and captain of the golf team. I spent the entire summers on the golf course working on my game. I spent 6-7 days a week at the course in some form or another (the good old days). I had a friends who was on the team who I constantly invited to play and he always declined. It irritated me because my friend didn't have the same drive or work ethic that I had. It also frustrated me during the season because my results were there but his weren't.

I hate comparing myself to professional athletes because it is so far from the situation it isn't funny. But I have had similar experiences on different levels. I can see Phillips get upset with a player like Dunn because Phillips places a ton of value in his defensive abilities. I also wouldn't fault Phillips if he was upset at Dunn because he felt he didn't work hard enough to improve his defensive game. Its just the dynamics of a clubhouse that none of us are privy to. I am making an assumption based upon an example in my life. It could be completely off the mark, but it could be very similar.

westofyou
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I also wouldn't fault Phillips if he was upset at Dunn because he felt he didn't work hard enough to improve his defensive game.And I wouldn't fault Dunn if he thought Brandon could improve his at bats and walk a bit more... or wait to swing at a pitch in the zone. (or just shut his mouth now and then)

But we ever know will we?

So it's all conjecture and hearsay.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
"Manager Dusty Bakeer’s explanation? “That’s similar to a closer closing both ends of a doubleheader. Same thing. He said he felt great. I conferred with (pitching coach) Dick Pole and we talked to Cordero. Hey, he walked the guy before the rain and walked the guy after the rain and both scored. He’s our closer and it just didn’t work this time."

Awful explanation IMO.

Chip R
06-11-2009, 11:37 AM
"Manager Dusty Bakeer’s explanation? “That’s similar to a closer closing both ends of a doubleheader. Same thing. He said he felt great. I conferred with (pitching coach) Dick Pole and we talked to Cordero. Hey, he walked the guy before the rain and walked the guy after the rain and both scored. He’s our closer and it just didn’t work this time."

Awful explanation IMO.

It is. I've said it before but anytime there's a save situation, a manager is going to bring his closer in the game. Otherwise he's going to get static for it.

camisadelgolf
06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
This may be a bit off topic, but the Reds lead the NL in ERA+ despite having the third-worst K/BB ratio. The pitch-to-contact philosophy seems to be working pretty well for the Reds.

Nasty_Boy
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I also wouldn't fault Phillips if he was upset at Dunn because he felt he didn't work hard enough to improve his defensive game.

That's garbage! You know that no matter how hard you work, you eventually reach a plateau. Some people are better at things than others. Brandon strikes me as a guy that could do nothing the entire offseason, throw on a glove in ST and act like it's the previous summer. Dunn could work all year around on his D and never become a gold glover. You really don't know how much time either guy puts in... You hear a biased opinion no matter who you hear it from. Most of the time it comes down to being a "Dunn guy" or a "Dunn hater".

Nasty_Boy
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
This may be a bit off topic, but the Reds lead the NL in ERA+ despite having the third-worst K/BB ratio. The pitch-to-contact philosophy seems to be working pretty well for the Reds.

Somebody should tell that to Francisco Cordero.

Chip R
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
That's garbage! You know that no matter how hard you work, you eventually reach a plateau. Some people are better at things than others. Brandon strikes me as a guy that could do nothing the entire offseason, throw on a glove in ST and act like it's the previous summer. Dunn could work all year around on his D and never become a gold glover. You really don't know how much time either guy puts in... You hear a biased opinion no matter who you hear it from. Most of the time it comes down to being a "Dunn guy" or a "Dunn hater".

Lighten up.

Reds Fanatic
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Awful explanation IMO.

Dusty needs to learn some flexibility in how he uses people just because a person is the closer does not mean there is not occasionally a special situation where someone else has to close the game. In the same way sometimes the game is on the line earlier in like the 7th or 8th inning and maybe in some cases you should use your closer there even if technically don't get the save.

KoryMac5
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Boils down to Dusty being a players manager. 9 out of 10 times if a guy thinks he can go Dusty is going to trust what he says and put him in there. May drive us crazy from time to time but the players like him and they seem to respond to his faith in them. I think Dusty has the players respect and he needs to voice his honest opinion to players on what he thinks. Personally I just think Cordero didn't have it last night, had the game not been delayed I still think the Nats score two runs there. Cordero looked like he came out flat, and Dusty should have taken notice instead of blindly believing his player. With Massett pitching so well it may give Dusty another option he feels he can trust if Cordero doesn't have it.

traderumor
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
My thought during the rain delay was "bring in Massett." My decision to not bring back Cordero would have nothing to do with his stuff, but with the difficulty of getting back into "closing it out" mindset after being there once and then having 2 hours of relaxation.

RedsMan3203
06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I must of fell asleep during the rain delay.... I don't remember any of this...

That I when I woke up today I told my self the Reds won 4-2... Weird... Maybe the radio stayed on long enough for me to get the final score but no clue what happened when I was asleep...

I still can't believe Coco was ran back out there ... We had the pen still to use ... Would of been better to throw one of the other arms.

Nasty_Boy
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Lighten up.

You forgot to call me Francis! :D

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 04:06 PM
For Bruce patience pays
Posted by JohnFay at 6/11/2009 3:49 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Some asked about the weather. It's similar to the last two days. But the rain isn't supposed to come until about 7. So here's hoping for a 2-hour, 20-minute game. Pre-game notes:

Jay Bruce is showing signs of coming out of the his long slump. He went 2-for-4 with a double and walk and a two-run home last night.

He is 4-for-13 (.308) over his last five games. He’s walked four times in those five games, giving him a .381 on-base over that period.

His patience goes back further. He’s walked nine times in his last nine games. He thinks that has something to do with his record run of success.

“When I felt like I was struggling, I felt like I was trying to hit anything I could reach,” Bruce said. “That’s obviously the scouting report: You don’t have to throw him a strike until he proves otherwise.

“Walking more is going to help because that means I’m seeing pitches better and laying off balls.”

But Bruce’s home run came on a first pitch.

“You’ve got to be aggressive, too,” he said. “The other night against (Ron) Villone, I was second guessing a little bit. I froze up. You’ve got to be ready to capitalize when they give you a pitch to hit.”

Bruce made a big play Wednesday night when he advanced to third on pass ball that barely got away from catcher Wil Nieves. With the bunt on, the Nationals left third uncovered.

“I made sure no one could beat me there,” Bruce said. “I wanted to go home.”

LINEUP CHANGE: Ryan Hanigan was out of the lineup Thursday. Ramon Hernandez was back at catcher and Adam Rosales played first.

Hanigan caught all 12 innings last night in a game that ended nearly 1 a.m.

“Plus Rosales hadn’t played in a couple days,” Dusty Baker said, “and Ramon and Micah (Owings) work well together. He’s pitched better than his record. We want to give him a chance to win.”

BAKER ON HERNANDEZ: Baker had high praise when asked about Hernandez.

“He could be our MVP,” Baker said, “without Joey (Votto). Brandon Phillips could be there, too. But Ramon with the way he’s played first, the way he’s caught . . . he’s probably our best two-out, when-you-need-a-base-hit clutch man. He’s been great on the team, great attitude.”

Hernandez is hitting .318 with two outs and runs in scoring position. His 22 at-bats in those situations have produced 11 RBI.

Of the regulars, only Votto (.467, 23 RBI in 15 at-bats) Phillips (.423, 19 RBI in 26 at-bats) have been better.

Hernandez has been very good defensively at first base.

“He’s agile,” Baker said. “He’s limber. He can stretch. This gave Hanigan a chance to play and learn the league. Plus, it kept Hernandez strong for when Joey comes back.”

GOMES IN A PINCH: Jonny Gomes pinch-hit double last night made him only 2-for-9 as a pinch-hitter. But Baker likes Gomes approach.

“He stays ready,” Baker said. “It’s easier to turn it off than it is to turn it on. Rarely does he turn it off. In order to win, you need all kind of people performing.”

“Everybody here plays. Everybody stays ready. That kind of team we have.”

WISH FOR TODAY: Baker was hoping to keep Adam Dunn down for one more game.

“Maybe we can get out of town before Dunn hits a home run,” Baker said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a2e147c19-eacf-4273-8436-4e14ac9f6da6&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
More Dibble stories as we await the rain
By Hal McCoy | Thursday, June 11, 2009, 02:51 PM

ROB DIBBLE STORIES never get old. Dibs is now a broadcaster for the Washington Nationals and when Reds third-base coach Mark Berry saw him he laughed and told a story I hadn’t heard.

“I caught the last game Dibs ever started,” said Berry. “It was in Madison, Wis. And we were roommates. After his fourth loss he came back to the room and started throwing things around and cussing away.”

Berry said Dibble said, “They want to turn me into a closer. I’m quitting. I’m done. I’m going to go home and work for my father at his radio station.”

Said Berry, “He didn’t go and the rest is history.”

AND THEN Dibble told one on himself. He came out of a game one day angry about something. He had two hockey sticks in his locker, “One signed by Wayne Gretzky and one signed by Mario Lemieux,” he said. “I splintered those suckers, spent pieces everywhere. Within five minutes, Bernie Stowe and Rick Stowe had that mess cleaned up and saved me from getting into trouble.”

Dibble smiled and said, “Those were the days. Players don’t do stuff like that anymore. Remember when Norm Charlton (another member of the Nasty Boys) burned everything in his locker after a bad game?”

THE OTHER MEMBER of the Nasty Boys, Randy Myers, fancied himself a guerrilla warrior, an insurgent, a mercenary. He kept military stuff in his locker — knives, an Army helmet. Hand grenades. He had a sign hanging on his locker, “No photo’s.” Yeah, I know. He didn’t need the apostrophe in photos, but it was there.

Everybody assumed the hand grenades were not live. But we never were sure.

MANAGER DUSTY BAKER kept Jerry Hairston Jr. at leadoff and had Willy Taveras batting second again for Wednesday’s finale in Washington. With that alignment, Taveras was 0-for-5 and enters today’s game 0-for-20, longest hitless streak of his career.

Hairston was 0-for-5 until he singled home a run in the 12th inning of the Reds’ 4-2 win after midnight Wednesday. In fact, the first five batters in the order were 2-for-24, 0-for-20 until Brandon Phillips singled in the 11th.

JUST AMAZING, isn’t it? So many of you are complaining about Dusty Baker, but he doesn’t have Joey Votto, he doesn’t have Edinson Volquez, he doesn’t have Edwin Encarnacion, he is playing a catcher a first base, he dodges and feints with different lineup combinations and guess what? The Reds are 1 1/2 games out of first place.

And for those who keep asking for Baker’s removal? How are you going to feel when he is Manager of the Year. Could happen, you know?

IT IS 3 O’CLOCK and we’re under a severe storm watch that is in effect until 7 p.m. The game starts at 4:30. I figure the rain will hit with the Reds leading, 2-0, in the bottom of the ninth when Coco Cordero walks the first batter and goes 2-and-2 on the next batter.

Then the rains come and we have a two-hour delay. Oh, we’ve heard that one? If it happens again, that’s when I take a dive out the press box window — which is high enough that I’d have time to parachute before I hit the ground.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/11/more_dibble_stories_as_we_awai.html

SMcGavin
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM

I've been noticing that too. I'm worried it's a warning of a correction to come.

camisadelgolf
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I've been noticing that too. I'm worried it's a warning of a correction to come.
Yeah, I worry about that, too, but it makes a big difference that the Reds are playing above-average defense almost everywhere on the field. I'm sure the pitching will regress a bit, but I don't think it will be as extreme as a lot of people are predicting.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Not me I think the correction will be in the K/BB ratio. Volquez hasn't been pitching like he's capable which is a more than equal share of the BB's, amongst others. I believe with a few exceptions we can actually improve in that area.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh for "O"
Since scoring 6,6 and 8 in a three game sweep of Houston (May 25-27), the Reds have scored just 41 runs in their last 12 game: 4,3,3,4,1,1,9,2,5,2,5,2. An average of 3.4 runs per game. And consider, if you add in extra innings (11,14,12), the Reds have played 10 more innings in the stretch.They are 5-7 in this stretch.
The pitching has allowed just 46 runs in the last 12 games....3.83 runs per.
Offense in June for Reds
30th (last) in batting average .209
26th in OBP (.289)
28th in SLG (.315)
29th in OPS (.604)