PDA

View Full Version : Would You Trade Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye?

Krusty
06-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Seems the White Sox might be shopping Dye once again. So with the Reds maybe looking for another outfielder to bat in the middle of the lineup, would you consider trading Homer Bailey for a quick fix?

cumberlandreds
06-01-2009, 08:24 AM
In a heartbeat but I suspect the White Sox would want more than just Bailey.

traderumor
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Bailey and an assortment of second tier prospects, in a heartbeat.

Az Red
06-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Yes. Show me where to sign.

Tommyjohn25
06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Without question. Getting Dye in a trade and Votto coming back 100% (fingers crossed) would put this team in the playoffs IMO.

redsfan4445
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
what if Houston would take Bailey, Dickerson, Burton and another prospect for Berkman instead??

BuckeyeRedleg
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Yesterday.

Kc61
06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
what if Houston would take Bailey, Dickerson, Burton and another prospect for Berkman instead??

What is the rationale for Houston accepting this deal?

redsfan4445
06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
im just throwing it out there,, I like Berkman over Dye and Berkman kills the ball most of the time in GABP.. of the two I take Berkman over Dye and I am sure the farther Houston falls, the more the chance he becomes available..just my opinion of the two outfielders that could help this team..Bailey is from Texas and if the Reds were to include Stubbs and maybe Edwin they might bite... never know untill you ask..just my opionion

Boss-Hog
06-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, but I don't think that would be nearly enough even if Houston did want to move Berkman.

Hap
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7898/gwtk6.jpg

Orenda
06-01-2009, 10:41 AM
No.

nate
06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7898/gwtk6.jpg

That was a great tune and a great "band."

Johnny Footstool
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Nope.

Degenerate39
06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes I would trade Bailey for Dye. Bailey may or may not figure it out. And what this team needs right now is a bat. The pitching staff is pretty solid but the offense needs a lot of help.

Have an outfield of Dye, Taveras, and Bruce. Then while Votto is gone platoon Nix and Gomes at first base.

Razor Shines
06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know. Even if Votto was healthy I'd be on the fence about it. If Votto's going to be out for an extended period of time, maybe the season, I say absolutely not. What's the point.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Of course I would make that trade. Even with Dye's sizeable contract, he's a far more valuable commodity in trade than Bailey.

Bailey's a throw-in at this point--and certainly wouldn't return a guy like Dye in a trade. Probably could have in the offseason.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Bailey, Dickerson and some minor-league filler for Matt Holliday.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Beane would really fart on that deal.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Beane would really fart on that deal.

He didn't get all that much in return for Dan Haren. And he didn't give up all that much for Holliday over the winter. With the A's floundering, it's probably likely Holliday will be traded. I would cry if he ended up with the Brewers, Cardinals or ... gasp ... the sCrUBS.

LoganBuck
06-01-2009, 12:18 PM

For Beane to trade Holliday to the Reds it will take something along the lines of:

Frazier/Heisey
Maloney
Roenicke/Viola
And maybe something else.

osuceltic
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
For Beane to trade Holliday to the Reds it will take something along the lines of:

Frazier/Heisey
Maloney
Roenicke/Viola

Where do I sign?

jojo
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't really want Dye.

dfs
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Of course I would make that trade. Even with Dye's sizeable contract, he's a far more valuable commodity in trade than Bailey.

Bailey's a throw-in at this point--and certainly wouldn't return a guy like Dye in a trade. Probably could have in the offseason.

I don't think Bailey alone would have brought Dye in the offseason.
I do think Bailey could still be the valuable part of a deal that brings Dye this way.
I don't think Bailey and trash bring Dye.

What really hurts Homer's value is that his options are burnt. That means he either has to put it together as a starter in the next couple of months, or he's looking at a relief role where he can't get consistent work in order to put it all together. It really looks like he's headed down the Dennys Reyses career path and that's tough to do as a righty.

TheNext44
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Frazier/Heisey
Maloney
Roenicke/Viola

Very astute. Completely agree.

Holiday is having an off year powerwise, which is bolstering people's claims that his #'s were Coor's enhanced.
He will be a free agent next year, and will not re-sign with the A's.
Boras is his agent.
Buster Olney reports that teams are so down on Holiday that most are expecting him to get a 3 year $35M contract at best.
Whoever trades for him is renting him.
Beane will only need to get more than the two draft picks he would get from losing him as a free agent.

Ergo...

Frazier/Heisey
Maloney
Roenicke/Viola
And maybe something else

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't really want Dye.

I kind of feel this way too. I mean, I'd like to have him, but not for Bailey. I'd be okay with a different package though.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't really want Dye.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about: it's not going to happen.

Kc61
06-01-2009, 02:16 PM
How about this (I just suggested on minor league forum)?

Reds trade Harang or Arroyo -- whomever they like least right now -- for Dye and a prospect. Reds add Bailey if prospect is real good, otherwise just trade the veteran pitcher.

Chisox obviously looking for starters.

Reds get some offense and bring up Maloney as their new fourth starter. Risky from pitching perspective, but could work out if Maloney succeeds.

Fire away.

hebroncougar
06-01-2009, 02:20 PM
No way. Dye's gone after this year, and I'm not sure he enhances our playoff % chances all that much. MAYBE, if it were July 31st, and we are still short a bat and less than 3 or 4 games back. Heck, you can get a similar boost if Encarnacion comes back and hits like he was projected to.

jojo
How about this (I just suggested on minor league forum)?

Reds trade Harang or Arroyo -- whomever they like least right now -- for Dye and a prospect. Reds add Bailey if prospect is real good, otherwise just trade the veteran pitcher.

Chisox obviously looking for starters.

Reds get some offense and bring up Maloney as their new fourth starter. Risky from pitching perspective, but could work out if Maloney succeeds.

Fire away.

The Reds shouldn't trade Harang for that deal and the ChiSox shouldn't trade Dye for Arroyo.

How's that? :cool:

Mario-Rijo

Stubbs/Heisey
Maloney
Roenicke/Viola

That I might consider.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
The Reds shouldn't trade Harang for that deal and the ChiSox shouldn't trade Dye for Arroyo.

How's that? :cool:

I agree.

blumj
06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
The White Sox don't have enough offense as it is. I'm pretty sure that when they were looking to trade Dye in the offseason, they were planning to sign a free agent OFer to replace him.

TRF
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
That I might consider.

I'd make that deal ONLY if Holliday signs an extension, if not I'd need additional players from Oakland. It isn't worth it for four months of a potential bust of a player.

remdog
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
The time to trade for a big bat in LF was this winter. Personally, I think that train has left the station in terms of it making a difference for '09.

Rem

TRF
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I wonder if Bailey is enough for Andruw Jones. Or is it too much?

I lobbied for Jones all off-season, and was soundly whacked for it.

LoganBuck
06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
That I might consider.

I just think that Beane will demand Frazier or Heisey. You might not want to trade Frazier but I think Beane will demand him. Stubbs' bat is more risky, and I think the As would be more interested in the other two.

reds44
06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I would have done it before the season, and I would as of today. Dye and a healthy EE and Votto put this team in the playoffs. Bailey isn't going to figure it out here.

Taveras/Dickerson CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Dye LF
Bruce RF
EE 3B
Hernandez C
Gonzalez SS

and have fun.

Will M
06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
no.

i agree with the general concensus that the Reds need more than one more bat to be serious contenders. i don't want to trade anything of any value for a rental player.

Mario-Rijo
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I just think that Beane will demand Frazier or Heisey. You might not want to trade Frazier but I think Beane will demand him. Stubbs' bat is more risky, and I think the As would be more interested in the other two.

I might give him Heisey but he could demand Frazier all he wanted I wouldn't do it myself. As a matter of fact I'm not positive at this point whether I'd even trade for Holliday. Not that I don't think he can be what we need I happen to believe in him still. But the fact it's a rental and we would be dealing players who would help us down the road when Holliday is gone. Holliday will be gone too, signing him to a LTC means the loss of someone or 2 in our core. I'd rather go cheap and deal for a guy who can give us a lot of production for little return, I still believe that player is Scott Hairston.

Degenerate39
06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I wonder if Bailey is enough for Andruw Jones. Or is it too much?

I lobbied for Jones all off-season, and was soundly whacked for it.

That's way too much for Jones

Vada Pinson Fan
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm glad we have Walt Jocketty to deal with W.S. GM Kenny Williams should something happen along the lines that Krusty authored.

Eventually I believe Homer will put it all together and be a plus pitcher. Perhaps a #3. Given Dye's age (and I am a Jermaine Dye fan) and Homer's youth, I have to keep Homer all things considered at this time UNLESS Dye signs a long term contract with the Cincinnati Reds and then I trade Homer Bailey and his youthfulness straight up to Williams. Bailey could pay the Sox huge dividends down the road/years from now when Dye has hung up his spikes for the last time. But get that 1st, big, newly acquired RH bat asap. Then work on another. Then hopefully in 2010 sometime Yonder Alonso is called up to the big club and the starting 8 could look like this:
1. Bruce (CF)
2. Phillips (2B)
3. Votto (LF)
4 Dye (RF)
5. Alonso (1B)
6. EE/Rosales(3B)
7. Hernandez (C)
8. Hairston/Gonzales (SS)
And perhaps Heisey, Frazier and Valaika put great pressure on the starters in this lineup for their positions also in 2010.

Yeah Krusty, Dye makes sense if he can be signed longterm and Kenny Williams accepts Bailey and a minor part or two not figuring into the Reds future plans.

cincinnati chili
06-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I think very, very little of Homer Bailey, so I'd trade him for just about any above-average commodity.

Why would Chicago do this deal, when Dye could land a prospect who's actually accomplished something in the minor leagues?

WVRedsFan
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I think we all tend to overvalue Homer. I don't see anything that tells me he is going to do anything at the MLB level. Nothing. I'm not sure you go after Dye because he is done after this season on his contract (but it's been done before in all of baseball). The Reds now are in the position of needing some starting pitching and some offense. Waiting on Homer is not the answer and trotting out some has been or never was is not the answer on offense, so we are at a crossroads. I say let Homer go for whatever we can get and hope it brings back a legitimate hitter. Then work on the pitching (Matt Maloney?).

Mario-Rijo
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Bailey, Gomes, Watson and Sutton for Scott Hairston and Cla Meredith.

*BaseClogger*
06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Where will Dye play?

mth123
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd keep Bailey unless you can get a guy for multi seasons back. No Rentals unless its cast offs going the other way.

cincinnati chili
06-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Where will Dye play?

For reals?

I think Dye been somewhat overrated the past several years, but he's substantially more valuable in the present tense than any of our 3.5 starting outfielders.

So take your pick, but most likely he'd play left and push Dickerson to a 4th outfielder role.

reds44
06-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Where will Dye play?
Left field?

Ron Madden
06-02-2009, 04:33 AM
I don't really want Dye.

I don't really want Holliday.

But like someone said earlier, Dye would be of more value to the club than Homer is right now.

*BaseClogger*
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll keep the Nix/Gomes platoon then, thank you.

2009 ZiPS Updated Projections
Jermaine Dye: .280 .342 .533
Laynce Nix: .265 .316 .513
Jonny Gomes: .250 .345 .466

You could probably boost Nix and Gomes numbers a bit if you assume a platoon. And I feel like the defense amongst the group is basically even.

I really don't think LF is the Reds biggest problem to address. I would use my resources to fill a different hole...

TRF
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Bailey, Gomes, Watson and Sutton for Scott Hairston and Cla Meredith.

This only works because Laynce Nix can loan Cla the "y" for his first name.

Falls City Beer
06-02-2009, 01:59 PM

They should have a ceremony on the field for the transfer of the letter: handing off a huge cartoon-ish "Y." Dignitaries and handshakes.

TRF
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
They should have a ceremony on the field for the transfer of the letter: handing off a huge cartoon-ish "Y." Dignitaries and handshakes.

And dual bobbleheads. I'd totally make the 1300 mile trip for that.

George Anderson
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM

I spent like ten minutes one night trying to do a search on "Lance Nix".

traderumor
06-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Krusty
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
If Uncle Walt doesn't land an impact bat to get this club in the playoffs because he doesn't want to give up Homer Bailey, then just fire him now. You get the chance to get the team in the playoffs for the first time since 1999, you do it. There is pitching depth in the minors so losing Bailey won't have the negative impact to the club like everyone thinks.

This team has fought and scrap despite numerous injuries to the starting lineup. What would the front office tell the clubhouse if they don't add that big bat for the stretch run because they didn't want to give up a Homer Bailey...who hasn't done squat at the major league level?

Maybe Bailey will develop into a solid major league arm but darn it........not making the playoffs since 1999 has had a more negative impact on this organization than the ramifications of trading a Homer Bailey.