PDA

View Full Version : This stress thing seems to be catching on...

Rockermann
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Man... This anxiety thing is really taking off. Everyone is trying to jump on the bandwagon. Check out this about Chris Dickerson:

"It wasn't so much a mechanical thing with my swing, which was part of it, as it was mental," Dickerson said. "I think when I came in, all the pressure I successfully alleviated from being that guy in Spring Training, I really felt the pressure once the season started. Especially at home, I was in such a negative train of thought every day, I tried to be perfect, tried to be the crowd pleaser and force myself to prove I belong as an everyday person -- more so when I wasn't playing every day."

On Monday vs. the Cardinals, Dickerson was 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored in the Reds' 5-3 win.

Dickerson, 27, saw one of the club's sports psychologists to help improve his mindset and stop pressing at the plate. "I was mentally paralyzing myself with negativity," Dickerson said. "That was no way to play. I wasn't having any fun and was putting too much pressure on myself to do well. As long as I go out there and be myself and let things naturally take over, I will have success."

More here: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090602&content_id=5099982

So, C-Dic has been seeing a psychologist about the stress. What's going on here? This is supposed to be a fun game.

GIDP
06-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Id imagine being a rookie or a 2nd year player is probably pretty stressful when you are struggling with something.

Remember their lives are baseball. To us its a game we would love to play but I imagine if we did it non stop like they do things that we think are simple things probably become large things to a ball player.

Struggling to do your job no matter what the job is stressful.

bounty37h
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
many player see sports psychologists, enough that many teams employ one on their own. Most major college programs ahve them for the players as well, jus tot deal with every day stresses as well as additonal things tha tcome up. While they make a bootyload of money that more then makes up for it, there are stresses we cant imagine that we take for granted, just being home on a regualr basis can take a toll quickly for example.

foxfire123
06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
It's a game being played for a lot of money, and with pressure from fans and ownership, I can see guys getting anxiety issues. Heck, look at some of the comments posted every day here, and this is just one board. Think about all the comments being posted and called in to radio and TV shows each and every day on thousands of boards and shows and in newspapers... I can relate to these players, I grew up with a hyper critical father who ruined every sport I ever tried to play by demanding nothing but wins, and that very reason is why I don't take criticism well--I fall apart instead.

Rockermann
06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree... there are certainly enough reasons to understand the anxiety. But, it just seems to be coming out more now, I guess. In the past maybe it was too 'weak' of a thing to talk about.

And I know what you mean about criticism foxfire. If I had to take what these guys take day in and day out, I would be a sniveling blob.

pitcher7
06-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I think with all the talk and the great progression of Zack Greinke and Dontrelle Willis, more and more players will go public with issues such as these. They may be minor, such as what Dickerson had to deal with, but it seems almost every ballplayer goes through a phase such as that at some point in their career, some much more dangerous than others (Again, see Zack Greinke...)

bounty37h
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Good Lord, the way things seem to be piling on me lately, I might need a shrink here soon (well, argueably already need one, might have to actually see one :help:)