PDA

View Full Version : Travis Wood

bellhead
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
He is dominating this year at AA. If he would have went the college route more than likely he would be a senior this year as he was a 2005 draft choice. Where would he be drafted today, and while we are on this topic same with Baily.

krm1580
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
The simple answer is neither one of them would be drafted as high. High school players are drafted more based on projectability and tools than as finished products. Simply because they are 4 years older the upside would not be seen as high.

The complicated answer is who knows? Situations shape and alter how people turn out and what they turn into. For example compare Bailey to Strausburg. If Bailey went undrafted would he have done whatever it took to get better? If Strausburg was a first round pick with a big contract and big expectations our of high school would he have gotten where he did. I don't know.

As a side note I would be really interested to see Travis Wood pitch this year because his numbers to me seem very odd. With his H/9 indicates he is missing bats, but his K/9 does not indicate he is consistently missing bats. His HR/9 rate and ERA are fantastic but his BB/9 is bad. I can't get a good read on him.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 03:53 PM
The simple answer is neither one of them would be drafted as high. High school players are drafted more based on projectability and tools than as finished products. Simply because they are 4 years older the upside would not be seen as high.

The complicated answer is who knows? Situations shape and alter how people turn out and what they turn into. For example compare Bailey to Strausburg. If Bailey went undrafted would he have done whatever it took to get better? If Strausburg was a first round pick with a big contract and big expectations our of high school would he have gotten where he did. I don't know.

As a side note I would be really interested to see Travis Wood pitch this year because his numbers to me seem very odd. With his H/9 indicates he is missing bats, but his K/9 does not indicate he is consistently missing bats. His HR/9 rate and ERA are fantastic but his BB/9 is bad. I can't get a good read on him.

Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs. The disciplined hitters aren't swinging which is why his BB's are up, so many fewer disciplined guys in AA.

krm1580
06-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs. The disciplined hitters aren't swinging which is why his BB's are up, so many fewer disciplined guys in AA.

That would be my conclusion as well simply based on the numbers. Have you seen him pitch?

dougdirt
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
That would be my conclusion as well simply based on the numbers. Have you seen him pitch?

I think its just like the rest of his career to this point... he struggles with his command from time to time. Lately he has really held the walks down and its a good sign. Hopefully things continue to trend that way.

Bumstead
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
That makes since for his early season starts, but his last 5 starts he has a 28/8 K/W ratio over 32 1/3 IP. Those numbers don't seem to jive with your "slop balls" explanation to me. Seems to me that he is getting better as a pitcher as the year progresses. Maybe his velocity is coming back from his injuries??

As in the other posts I have put out there on Travis Wood, I think he is one of the more interesting prospects in the Reds system.

Bum

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Not since Dayton. But Doug makes the important points there.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
That makes since for his early season starts, but his last 5 starts he has a 28/8 K/W ratio over 32 1/3 IP. Those numbers don't seem to jive with your "slop balls" explanation to me. Seems to me that he is getting better as a pitcher as the year progresses. Maybe his velocity is coming back from his injuries??

As in the other posts I have put out there on Travis Wood, I think he is one of the more interesting prospects in the Reds system.

Bum

Don't get me wrong, the more a pitcher can get people to swing at pitches out of the zone the better he can be. Travis Wood at one time was my favorite Reds pitching prospect and I still hold him in high regard. That said as Doug pointed out he had to learn better control and command which wasn't a big problem because he was so young at every level. Hopefully as Doug suggested he is now finally turning a corner with his control and command.

Wish Watson would do the same but I don't have the same belief and or hope for that to ever happen, Watson just doesn't seem like the type who will stay with it and work hard enough to reach his potential.

PuffyPig
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Simple he is tossing slop (balls) up there and people are swinging at it for ball in play outs.

So Wood is the answer to the trivia question: "Which pitcher will discover the secret to BABIP?"

SMcGavin
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Wood had a high BABIP last year so it's not like he has some magical ability to turn balls in play into outs. A couple of key numbers on Wood for 2009:

BABIP: .255
HR/F: 1.3% (!!!)

So far Wood is having one of the luckiest seasons I've ever seen. The question about him has always been his control, and it's the same as it's always been (bad). And his strikeouts are way down since moving to AA. A major correction is in his future.

dougdirt
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Wood had a high BABIP last year so it's not like he has some magical ability to turn balls in play into outs. A couple of key numbers on Wood for 2009:

BABIP: .255
HR/F: 1.3% (!!!)

So far Wood is having one of the luckiest seasons I've ever seen. The question about him has always been his control, and it's the same as it's always been (bad). And his strikeouts are way down since moving to AA. A major correction is in his future.

Well the question really remains, has his control gotten better or is he just 'in the zone' right now in terms of, well, being in the zone? Obviously his BABIP and HR rate are going to have to go up at some point, but if his control has taken a legit turn for the good, then the two things are going to counter act each other a little bit.

Travis had a rough April. Since then, his numbers look much better. His BABIP in May was .310 and in the one game in June it was .200, which probably still leaves him in the .290-.300 range over his last 43.3 innings where he has struck out 21.3% and walked 9.8%.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
So Wood is the answer to the trivia question: "Which pitcher will discover the secret to BABIP?"

In AA, yeah sure.

Bumstead
06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Some good points are being made, but I see some positive development that should lead to some OPTIMISM from us fans. I look forward to checking out the results of each of his starts. A 22 year old LHP (starter) that is starting to show some potential. That's something the Reds need! :beerme:

Bum

krm1580
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Well like I said I would really like to see him pitch before I make any judgment. His primary numbers don't seem to line up with his secondary numbers which at least on the surface indicates a certain level of good fortune. I know his velocity is down from when he was drafted but his changeup is better so I have no idea what he is like now.

Hopefully I will get back down to Carolina sometime soon to get a look. Last time I went my opinions of Heisey and Francisco completely changed so maybe I can see Wood and see whats up.

Mario-Rijo
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Well like I said I would really like to see him pitch before I make any judgment. His primary numbers don't seem to line up with his secondary numbers which at least on the surface indicates a certain level of good fortune. I know his velocity is down from when he was drafted but his changeup is better so I have no idea what he is like now.

Hopefully I will get back down to Carolina sometime soon to get a look. Last time I went my opinions of Heisey and Francisco completely changed so maybe I can see Wood and see whats up.

Beware watching him play will cause you to like him. He's an athletic kid who fields his position well on top of his solid pitching. He seems smart, intense and in it to win it. :thumbup:

JaxRed
06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm getting ready to watch a 5 game sweep of Carolina over Jacksonville starting tomorrow night. I'm ready !!

lollipopcurve
06-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm getting ready to watch a 5 game sweep of Carolina over Jacksonville starting tomorrow night. I'm ready !!

Nice. Please fill us in with your impressions!

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Travis Wood today: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K

His numbers this season are spectacular:

74 IP, 49 H, 1 HR, 30 BB, 60, 1.22 ERA

Earlier in the season, while still being effective, he was walking a decent amount of hitter and not racking up a ton of strikeouts. However, in his last six starts, he's posted an 8 BB/39 K in 41.1 innings. I really like the progress he's made in Double-A this season.

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice. Please fill us in with your impressions!

I cannot wait to hear Jax's words on today's performance.

traderumor
06-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Travis Wood today: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K

His numbers this season are spectacular:

74 IP, 49 H, 1 HR, 30 BB, 60, 1.22 ERA

Earlier in the season, while still being effective, he was walking a decent amount of hitter and not racking up a ton of strikeouts. However, in his last six starts, he's posted an 8 BB/39 K in 41.1 innings. I really like the progress he's made in Double-A this season.Yea, that was my concern about him when his name started popping up again in early May, K/BB. So, now that he is back in the mix, could someone please give a quick summary of his story (like where he was the last two years) and his stuff?

camisadelgolf
06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
People talk about how 'lucky' Wood has been, but even when you factor that in, he's having a very good season. This is his fifth season in the organization, but it's important to keep in mind that he's only 22. If he were promoted today, he would be the third-youngest player in all of AAA.

These would be the only two players who are older:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=tillma001chr
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=brantl001mic

JaxRed
06-07-2009, 09:55 PM
My Wood comments from Game thread......

"The player of the day was Travis Wood, I'd seen him several other times before, but he looks like a new man. Before watching him was frustrating as you'd say "just throw some strikes". His control today was stellar. Even when he missed it wasn't by much.

The other thing, (and this could be just my imagination) I thought there used to be a more pronounced difference between the speed on his fastball and changeup. It just seems there is less difference, and he can now control them.

tbball10
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
My Wood comments from Game thread......

"The player of the day was Travis Wood, I'd seen him several other times before, but he looks like a new man. Before watching him was frustrating as you'd say "just throw some strikes". His control today was stellar. Even when he missed it wasn't by much.

The other thing, (and this could be just my imagination) I thought there used to be a more pronounced difference between the speed on his fastball and changeup. It just seems there is less difference, and he can now control them.

How was his velocity today?

tripleaaaron
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Wish Watson would do the same but I don't have the same belief and or hope for that to ever happen, Watson just doesn't seem like the type who will stay with it and work hard enough to reach his potential.

Beware watching him play will cause you to like him. He's an athletic kid who fields his position well on top of his solid pitching. He seems smart, intense and in it to win it. :thumbup:

What makes you think he won't work hard enough to reach his potential If the above is true?

camisadelgolf
06-07-2009, 11:16 PM
What makes you think he won't work hard enough to reach his potential If the above is true?
The Reds have talked to Watson about his weight, and the guy still looks pretty plump. I'm in no position to say whether Watson made a serious effort to improve his physical condition, but I'm just guessing that that is where Mario-Rijo is coming from.

flash
06-07-2009, 11:34 PM
What are the rules concerning high school draftees? I heard that the Reds would be out of options with Bailey next year. Well both Wood and Bailey made their debuts in 2005 and this is their fifth seasons with the Reds.

camisadelgolf
06-07-2009, 11:50 PM
What are the rules concerning high school draftees? I heard that the Reds would be out of options with Bailey next year. Well both Wood and Bailey made their debuts in 2005 and this is their fifth seasons with the Reds.
An option is used when a player on the 40-man roster is sent to the minor leagues. After four or five years (four years for players signed at age 19 or older, five years for under) as a professional, a player must be put on the 40-man roster or exposed in the rule five draft. Both Bailey and Wood were signed before they turned 19 years old, but Wood has never been on the 40-man roster. However, 2010 will probably be his first option year. This is Bailey's third option year, so he will have to clear waivers next season if the Reds want to send him to the minors.

HokieRed
06-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Bailey was drafted in 2004, Wood in 2005.

mace
06-08-2009, 01:23 AM
In the listing of Southern League leaders, it looks like the cutoff they're using for ERA right now is 50 innings. Zach Stewart has thrown only 23 innings at that level, so obviously his 0.39 is not recognized. Wood leads the league at 1.22, which is more than a full run ahead of the next guy (Chris Cody, 2.30). That's a massive spread.

Benihana
06-08-2009, 06:39 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again: Wood should be in line for a promotion at the Break if he continues to pitch like this.

traderumor
06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Especially since he's lefty, considering how Buckley has been talking up lefties lately with respect to the draft.

dougdirt
06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Especially since he's lefty, considering how Buckley has been talking up lefties lately with respect to the draft.

Buckley talked about lefties being the rarest thing in the sport.... but you know, the Reds aren't exactly working with a bare cupboard in terms of lefties. Maloney, Wood, Horst, Webb and Fairel are all pitching quite well at their different stops.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM

You've quoted me on 2 different players there. The former is Sean Watson, the latter is Travis Wood.

On Watson yes Cam hit it right on the head.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Buckley talked about lefties being the rarest thing in the sport.... but you know, the Reds aren't exactly working with a bare cupboard in terms of lefties. Maloney, Wood, Horst, Webb and Fairel are all pitching quite well at their different stops.

Plus Shunick whenever he gets around to pitching this season, what's up with him?

GIDP
06-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Plus Shunick whenever he gets around to pitching this season, what's up with him?

He's filming the next season of Survivor right now.

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Shunick is right handed.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Shunick is right handed.

Huh, boy what has happened to my memory. I could have swore he was a LH for some reason. Oh well my bad.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
He's filming the next season of Survivor right now.

I think I am gonna hate myself for asking this, but are you serious?

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Wood in a major groove at Double-A
Reds prospect strikes out 11 in first career shutout
By Mason Kelley / Special to MLB.com

06/07/09 9:18 PM ET

Here it is, hit it.

When Carolina Mudcats left-hander Travis Wood took the mound Sunday, he went in with a simple objective. He knew he had control of all five of his pitches and planned on challenging the Jacksonville Suns all night.

The left-hander gave up three hits and tied a career high with 11 strikeouts en route to his first complete game as the Mudcats blanked the Suns, 2-0.

"Everything felt good," Wood said. "All my pitches worked. When they put the ball in play, the defense was backing me. We just played well today as a team and battled and battled and ended up pulling it off."

After going 4-9 with a 7.09 ERA at Double-A Chattanooga last season, he was frustrated. He knew he needed to find more consistency with his pitches, which would produce more strikes. He threw away a season squandered and started preparing for a new one.

"I just tried to come out and give it everything I can every start. And, so far, it's been working," said Wood, who has won his last five decisions.

The 22-year-old came into the season looking to challenge hitters, an approach that's yet to let him down.

"It's my day or yours," he said. "You don't second-guess yourself."

Here it is.

Against the Suns, he retired six of the first seven batters.

"It went by so quick," the former second-round pick said.

Then, all of a sudden, it was the fifth inning and he still felt good. When he took the mound for the eighth, he thought, "Woo, everything is still feeling good." And in the ninth, one inning away from his first complete game as a professional, he told himself, "Three more."

"It's amazing," Wood said. "Their pitcher was going right there with me, so it was a battle."

But Wood took a mental advantage into each frame. He knew he could throw any of his pitches -- fastball, cutter, slider, curve or changeup -- over the plate, no matter the count.

"If he hits it, he hits it and you move on," Wood said. "It's a nice array of pitches to keep the hitter confused."

He retired the final 17 Suns and has yet to give up more than two earned runs in any appearance this season. Through 12 starts, he is 5-3 with a 1.22 ERA that ranks in the top 10 in all of the Minor Leagues. To top it off, Wood has given up only three earned runs over 38 innings at road parks.

Here it is, hit it.

"It ranks up there at the top of it," said Wood. "There's nothing better than keeping your team in it and giving them a chance to win. I'll just move on from this and go to the next start and see if we can't go it again."

If he keeps shutting down opponents, a trip to Triple-A might be in the future. But he remains focused on the road ahead.

"I would love to, but that's not my decision, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and, eventually, I'll be where I want to be," Wood said.

Here he comes.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090607&content_id=5203864&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

GIDP
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I think I am gonna hate myself for asking this, but are you serious?

ha nah im just screwing around.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
ha nah im just screwing around.

You had me thinking there for a second. I love Survivor and was thinking "I would have caught that wouldn't I have"? It was cool to watch the last one with Eddie George's wife Taj, formerly of the female R&B group SWV. Would have been real sweet to have a Reds prospect on the show to root for.

FIRELEFT
06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
T. Wood named pitcher of the week for the Southern League.
Zach Cozart got Hitter.

RED VAN HOT
06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I apologize if I missed this, but has there been an answer concerning Wood's velocity? I recall thinking that he had a good fast ball during his first two years. Recent discussions and stats have led me to believe he has become more of a finesse pitcher. Certainly, with command of five pitches, as he apparently had yesterday, he could still do well with a high 80's fastball.

New Fever
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I apologize if I missed this, but has there been an answer concerning Wood's velocity? I recall thinking that he had a good fast ball during his first two years. Recent discussions and stats have led me to believe he has become more of a finesse pitcher. Certainly, with command of five pitches, as he apparently had yesterday, he could still do well with a high 80's fastball.

http://baseballprospectus.com/minorleagueupdate/

His ERA is lower than Stephen Strasburg's

Travis Wood, LHP, Reds (Double-A Carolina)
Sunday's stats: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K
A second-round pick in 2005, Wood lost a lot of velocity when the Reds revamped some big mechanical issue in his delivery, and as a guy with fringy velocity, a great change and control problems, he put up a seven-plus ERA last year at Double-A. This year, the 22-year-old has dropped nearly six runs off that mark, as in his last four starts, he's given up two runs over 29 frames. He still doesn't throw especially hard, but he's added a 2-seamer and a cutter to his mix, and he's looking very much like a guy who could fit in towards the back of a rotation.

dougdirt
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM

He isn't where he once was, but his arm action is much cleaner than it once was too. He is more of an 88-91 MPH guy these days, but can touch higher from time to time.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
He isn't where he once was, but his arm action is much cleaner than it once was too. He is more of an 88-91 MPH guy these days, but can touch higher from time to time.

He's like the M&M bys these days huh. Mike Minor and Matt Maloney.

Bumstead
06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
He just keeps getting better. How long can they keep him in AA? Thanks for answering the velocity question Doug...

Bum

nemesis
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
It would be nice to have a couple of decent LH's in between Cueto, Volquez and Bailey going into the future. If I'm the Reds I do one of two things with him... Go the untouchable route. Keep him with the chance he turned the corner and now youve got something special or sell him high and trade him to Texas, Phily or Atlanta as part of the Arroyo/Harang deal to amp up the return.

I say go untouchable personally. Who was the last quality LH starter we developed through our system? Browning? He's young and talented - always has been and he is cheap. Hard to let that go IMO.

RED VAN HOT
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I thank both of you for the info. He seems to be very advanced as a true "pitcher" to be only 22. The Reds appear to be doing a much better job of developing their minor league pitchers compared to the days of Howington, Gruler, Basham, Pauley, Gardner, and Gillman.

Caveat Emperor
06-08-2009, 11:20 PM
He just keeps getting better. How long can they keep him in AA?

Seeing as he's only 22 and has had a touchy history in terms of staying healthy, I think the smart thing is to pitch him a full season at AA and make the move to AAA next year.

Simply put, there's no need or reason to rush him. It isn't like the team is in desperate need of starting pitching help in the upper minors or at the big league level. Let the kid see the same teams a few times, hopefully dominate a level, and be ready for AAA at 23. He's already on a fine timetable as it is.

RedEye
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Seeing as he's only 22 and has had a touchy history in terms of staying healthy, I think the smart thing is to pitch him a full season at AA and make the move to AAA next year.

Simply put, there's no need or reason to rush him. It isn't like the team is in desperate need of starting pitching help in the upper minors or at the big league level. Let the kid see the same teams a few times, hopefully dominate a level, and be ready for AAA at 23. He's already on a fine timetable as it is.

You make so much sense! I totally agree. I'm actually really ready for the Reds to have a pitching prospect who is 100% on-track as he proceeds through the minors. Isn't 23 just about exactly how old you want a guy to be at AAA?

Mario-Rijo
06-09-2009, 01:18 AM
You make so much sense! I totally agree. I'm actually really ready for the Reds to have a pitching prospect who is 100% on-track as he proceeds through the minors. Isn't 23 just about exactly how old you want a guy to be at AAA?

Well it'd be nice if he was 10 but yeah 23 is "on schedule". ;)

TRF
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM

I agree and for another reason. There is a tendency to overvalue one's "own" prospects so to speak. By my rough count, within the next three years the Reds should have 7-8 SP, a 12 man bullpen and possibly 3 3B and 4 LF's. Some of these guys are going to get moved for parts for the MLB team, and Wood COULD be one of them. I'm not saying he will or even should be, but he could be.

And for his value to remain high he needs to dominate AA. Prospects have value to the big league club in a variety of ways.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Another dominant start tonight by Travis Wood: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K ... He walked the first batter of the game, then retired the next 20 batters before losing the no-hitter on a soft line drive single with two outs in the seventh inning. IIRC, this is about the third time Travis has carried a no-hitter into the 7th inning.

Wood now has an amazing 1.11 ERA in 81 innings, while allowing only 50 hits (1 HR) with a 31 BB/69 K ratio. He's making tremendous progress. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as the year has went on he's walking less hitters and striking out more. He has a 22 BB/60 K ratio in his last 10 starts (65.1 IP) and a 9 BB/48 K ratio in his last seven starts (48.1 IP).

It looks to me like Travis Wood leads all of the minor leagues in ERA at 1.11 while his teammate Zach Stewart is fifth in ERA at 1.51. Amazing. What a 1-2 punch.

Blitz Dorsey
06-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Another dominant start tonight by Travis Wood: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K ... He walked the first batter of the game, then retired the next 20 batters before losing the no-hitter on a soft line drive single with two outs in the seventh inning. IIRC, this is about the third time Travis has carried a no-hitter into the 7th inning.

Wood now has an amazing 1.11 ERA in 81 innings, while allowing only 50 hits (1 HR) with a 31 BB/69 K ratio. He's making tremendous progress. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as the year has went on he's walking less hitters and striking out more. He has a 22 BB/60 K ratio in his last 10 starts (65.1 IP) and a 9 BB/48 K ratio in his last seven starts (48.1 IP).

It looks to me like Travis Wood leads all of the minor leagues in ERA at 1.11 while his teammate Zach Stewart is fifth in ERA at 1.51. Amazing. What a 1-2 punch.

Outstanding! He is really in the zone this year. I like the idea of him staying at AA for a while longer and experiencing success. Experiencing success is important -- there is no reason to rush to move him up at his age.

And you are right... Wood and Stewart are quite the tandem at the top of that pitching staff. In fact, the entire Carolina team is a hell of a lot of fun to follow right now with all the prospects that are down there.

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm sure I could find this on my own, but I'm admittedly being lazy.

What year was Wood drafted and what round?

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm sure I could find this on my own, but I'm admittedly being lazy.

What year was Wood drafted and what round?

Second round of the 2005 draft. Same year Jay Bruce was drafted.

Blitz Dorsey
06-13-2009, 02:07 AM

I say we draft that well every year, what say thee?

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Thanks OBM! I didn't realize he was drafted so high. I knew there were high expectations with him that previously fell short...but maybe he's putting it altogether now? Maybe score another point for Dan-O.

Blitz Dorsey
06-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Wood was lights-out good his first year in the minors... then struggled with injuries and ineffectiveness... and is now back to his stud-like form.

I remember after the Reds drafted him in the second round and he tore it up early, we thought we had a steal. Then everyone kind of forgot about him until this year.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 04:14 AM
More on Travis Wood.

In his last start, he allowed a one out infield single in the 4th inning. He then went on to retire the last 17 batters he faced. Tonight, he allowed a lead off walk in the first inning and then retired 20 straight batters. He went 11.2 straight innings without allowing a hit. In that span, he retired 37 of the 38 batters he faced. That is total dominance.

camisadelgolf
06-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I say we draft that well every year, what say thee?
Three Major Leaguers came out of it, and it's only a matter of time before one or two more reach the show. What a difference a player makes, though. If the Reds swung and missed on Jay Bruce, it would be considered a horrible draft.
Jay Bruce
Travis Wood
Sam LeCure
James Avery
Carlos Fisher
Adam Rosales
Logan Ondrusek
Mike Griffin
Kevyn Feiner
Eric Eymann
Chris Denove
Jake Long
Justin Tordi

bellhead
06-13-2009, 11:17 AM
It was a great draft, especially if Wood goes on to pitch at the major league level. Finding a left handed starting pitcher is hard, getting one from your farm system is even harder.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Wood does it again at Double-A
Reds' prospect takes no-hitter into seventh, fans nine
By Mason Kelley / Special to MLB.com

Travis Wood tried not to think about it.

But every few innings, he glanced up at the scoreboard and saw the zeros. He would catch himself, refocus and get back to work.

"You have to try to not think about it and just go out there and go after the hitters again," Wood said.

The 22-year-old left-hander took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and ended up allowing up one hit while striking out nine Friday as the Carolina Mudcats blanked the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, 4-0.

"My pitches were working for me again, throwing a lot of strikes," Wood said. "The defense was behind me. We scored some runs, got a little lead, so it made it a little bit easier to pitch."

For Wood, the Southern League has been a playground this season. He has won six of his last eight starts, and the last time he took the mound he threw a complete-game three-hitter, tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts.

Like his no-hit bid, however, he tries to keep the same focus each start.

"It's another day," Wood said. "I've got to go out there and give it my best and, hopefully, everything works out for me."

The former second-round pick continues to find success with all five of his pitches -- fastball, cutter, slider, curve and changeup -- and is 6-3 with a league-leading 1.11 ERA over 13 starts. He hasn't allowed a run in three straight outings and has yet to give up more than two earned runs in any game this season.

"At this point, everything's just been so great," Wood said. "I've been throwing well this season. Everything's been going so well, it's just kind of rolling into one. [This start] is up there, but you don't want to put too much emphasis on it."

After a leadoff walk in the first inning, he got Greg Halman to ground into a double play and struck out Thomas Hubbard to end the frame. He fanned the next four batters as he cruised through the Diamond Jaxx's lineup.

With two outs in the seventh, Hubbard singled to right field to break up the no-hitter.

Even after another successful start, Wood is still thinking of ways to improve.

"There's always something to work on," he said.

Wood is so dominant right now it would be understandable if he felt unhittable. But he knows how fleeting success can be and, while confident, he wants to keep this season's dominance in perspective.

"You don't want to get that far ahead of yourself because at any moment anybody can hit you," he said. "You just try to stay humble and go out there and do what you can."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090613&content_id=5302628&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

texasdave
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Southern League pitcher of the week:

Southern League
Travis Wood, Carolina
1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 G, 1 GS, 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
With seven scoreless innings this week, Reds prospect Travis Wood has now thrown 22 consecutive shutout innings. After losing his first three starts of the season, Wood has won his past six decisions and has brought his ERA down to 1.11. The Little Rock native leads the Reds organization in wins and strikeouts (69). Wood is the Southern League's first two-time weekly award winner of the 2009 season. He was also named SL Pitcher of the Week last week, when he threw 15 scoreless innings.

Back-to-back awards for young Travis. :beerme:

HBP
06-16-2009, 10:31 AM
He's got nothing left to prove in AA.

BRM
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
The 2005 draft also netted Jeff Stevens, who was later traded for Brandon Phillips.

bellhead
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
What do you think, mid-season promotion this year?

dougdirt
06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
He's got nothing left to prove in AA.

I am not ready to go that far. Travis has battled control issues his entire career. He has thrown 7 games where he has shown good control in a row. Does that mean he has the problems fixed? I am not sure. I wouldn't be upset either way about keeping him in AA longer or promoting him to AAA, but I don't think that he is at the point of having nothing left to prove in AA.

medford
06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
My thought is this, who here believe Wood is ready to help the Reds this season? Who thinks getting him a start or 2 w/ the big league club will really ramp up his development? My guess is no body on quesiton 1, and few on question 2 (if that many). Therefor, if he's not going to help the big league club, and he's not ready for a spot start in september, why not let him sit in AA all season (or most of the year) and refine his pitching, cycle thru the league a few more times, seeing how the competition adjusts, and hopefully gaining some confidence in his stuff while getting ready to get a look see in spring training next year.

HBP
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Why not challenge him with AAA? This is his 4th full year in the system, so it's not like he won't know what's expected of him. Meanwhile, you have 32 year old Justin Lehr in Louisville, and no offense to him, but his major league future isn't exactly the brightest. Promote Wood this month, let him finish the year with the Bats and then be ready for a callup next season. Just my opinion.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Why not challenge him with AAA? This is his 4th full year in the system, so it's not like he won't know what's expected of him. Meanwhile, you have 32 year old Justin Lehr in Louisville, and no offense to him, but his major league future isn't exactly the brightest. Promote Wood this month, let him finish the year with the Bats and then be ready for a callup next season. Just my opinion.

If he keeps doing what he is doing for another couple of weeks you really can't keep him there (AA) as much as it might make sense to do so. He's not just doing well he's completely dominating in most every way imaginable and has been for quite some time already. Personally I'd like to see him get another 2 weeks to a month or so there and then move to AAA for the last month+.

tripleaaaron
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
The 2005 draft also netted Jeff Stevens, who was later traded for Brandon Phillips.

Brandon Roberts(Round 7) netted Juan Castro. :thumbup:

flash
06-17-2009, 08:55 AM
If he keeps doing what he is doing for another couple of weeks you really can't keep him there (AA) as much as it might make sense to do so. He's not just doing well he's completely dominating in most every way imaginable and has been for quite some time already. Personally I'd like to see him get another 2 weeks to a month or so there and then move to AAA for the last month+.

Good point by Medford. I really agree with him. But if Wood comes close to matching his numbers for the last 22 innings, say allows less than 2 runs and strikes out 20. the Reds will be hard pressed not to promote him. Or what if he does the unthinkable matches 22 scoreless innings, maybe even rings up 50 shutout innings. Then you have to promote him and give him the cursory September look. Everyone will want to see him. Remember Herrera wasn't even supposed to be on the roster leaving Spring training. But it is hard to say no to a guy who does nothing but get hitters out.

Wood could pitch his way up. it would be a nice thing to see.

TRF
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
If he finishes the year at AA, and he keeps pitching like this, he rockets to the top of the Reds prospect list, past Yonder and Frazier.

And there is a lot of value for the Reds if that happens. Free pub, and teams will be clamoring for him. I'm not saying the Reds should move him, but no doubt offers will be made.

Kc61
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm sure Wood will taste AAA this year and probably pitch there most or all of next year.

It's common for folks to say that it's a waste to keep journeymen types pitching at AAA, why not use all the spots for prospects? The Justin Lehr comment for example.

AAA has two functions. It is developmental for prospects, although AA is often considered more of a "prospects" level. But AAA also supplies major league replacements when there is an injury or other vacancy.

For injury replacements, teams often want experienced guys, even if they aren't likely to have a long term career.

The Reds went out and got Justin Lehr just like they got guys like Pettyjohn and Livingston and others. They want guys like that as insurance at the AAA level.

camisadelgolf
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Brandon Roberts(Round 7) netted Juan Castro. :thumbup:
Just to add to that . . .
Zach Ward netted Kyle Lohse, who netted Matt Maloney.
Russ Haltiwanger netted Jeff Keppinger, who netted Drew Sutton.
Abe Woody netted Jerry Gil.

HBP
06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm sure Wood will taste AAA this year and probably pitch there most or all of next year.

It's common for folks to say that it's a waste to keep journeymen types pitching at AAA, why not use all the spots for prospects? The Justin Lehr comment for example.

AAA has two functions. It is developmental for prospects, although AA is often considered more of a "prospects" level. But AAA also supplies major league replacements when there is an injury or other vacancy.

For injury replacements, teams often want experienced guys, even if they aren't likely to have a long term career.

The Reds went out and got Justin Lehr just like they got guys like Pettyjohn and Livingston and others. They want guys like that as insurance at the AAA level.

True, they do serve a purpose. A somewhat unlikely but still possible reason for Wood to get to AAA soon is because Arroyo and Harang may be shipped out by August. Those spots would go to Owings/Maloney/Bailey I'm sure, but Wood could make it interesting by dominating AAA like he has AA.

Bumstead
06-18-2009, 10:38 AM
So...on the AAA insurance policy where does Justin Lehr rank?? 3rd? 4th? 8th? He could be sent to AA and be called up if that type of 'emergency' ever happened. Guys like Justin Lehr are there to hold a spot until a real prospect is ready to take their place. Justin Lehr should not impede the progress of any of our pitching prospects. Lehr is not even on the 40-man roster so someone would have to be waived to even bring him up...all Justin Lehr is doing is holding a spot at AAA until someone like Wood is ready to be moved up. Once someone is ready, Justin Lehr or someone like him will be asked to step aside. Despite saying that, I'm not suggesting rushing Wood to AAA. I think at some point though if he continues to put up numbers similar to what he has so far, he will have to be moved up.

Bum

traderumor
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
So...on the AAA insurance policy where does Justin Lehr rank?? 3rd? 4th? 8th? He could be sent to AA and be called up if that type of 'emergency' ever happened. Guys like Justin Lehr are there to hold a spot until a real prospect is ready to take their place. Justin Lehr should not impede the progress of any of our pitching prospects. Lehr is not even on the 40-man roster so someone would have to be waived to even bring him up...all Justin Lehr is doing is holding a spot at AAA until someone like Wood is ready to be moved up. Once someone is ready, Justin Lehr or someone like him will be asked to step aside. Despite saying that, I'm not suggesting rushing Wood to AAA. I think at some point though if he continues to put up numbers similar to what he has so far, he will have to be moved up.

BumIt seems Lehr's primary benefit right now is teaching Homer the splitter ;)

medford
06-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Here's the problem that many seem to overlook, but frankly the Reds can't. Many of these decisions are not simpe cold hearted pure baseball decisions, but factor in the human element into the decision. The Reds need the Justin Lehrs of the world to not only round out their AAA roster, but to provide roster insurance for injuries, trades, etc on the big league club.

In another light, lets say Nix doesn't make the major league club out of ST, and goes down to AAA while Gomes is up in Cincy. Nix is playing every day, providing pretty good numbers against righties, but clearly struggling vs righties. How many would consider him a "real" talent capable of helping the big league club? How many would want to send him down to AA to make room for Chris Heisey to play every day, after all, Heisey is a real talent that can hit both righties and lefties, not some glorified platoon player.

Now we've all seen how a player like Nix can help the big league club. He may not be the long term answer, but he's certainly been a big part of keeping them above .500 and in contention. Now Justin Lehr was never the prospect like Laynce Nix once was, and likely will never help the big league club, but he does serve a purpose.

However, that's not even my arguement. If the Reds were to start jetising every Justin Lehr for the next big prospect they'll develop a relationship amongst agents that its really not a place for your AAAA ball player to spend the season hoping to catch on with the big league club. Sure cutting 1 kid like Lehr, or sending him down to AA probably doesn't create a reputation, or much of one anyways, but I've seen it mentioned more than 1x in the past. Would messing w/ the Justin Lehr's of the world, limit the chances for them to sign the next Laynce Nix? Do it often enough and it will.

Its still mid-june. Injuries, trades, ineffectiveness at either the AAA or major league club will eventually create room for Wood to get his shot in AAA. Meanwhile, gaining confidence and cycling thru AA a few more times won't hurt his development, and just might enhance it.

camisadelgolf
06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Great post, medford. A lot of us need to take more things into consideration before criticizing roster decisions.

mace
06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
It seems Lehr's primary benefit right now is teaching Homer the splitter ;)

That point is not to be taken too lightly. It speaks to the greater issue of having veterans around to influence the younger, more talented players. If Lehr is solely responsible for teaching Homer the splitter (and he apparently is), and if the splitter transforms Homer from a fringe major-leaguer to an 18-game winner (which it could), you could make a case that Justin Lehr is one of the most valuable players in the organization this year.

And that doesn't mention the other ways in which a guy like Lehr could benefit a guy like Bailey. Maybe Bailey is learning, from Lehr, how to set up a hitter, how to pace yourself in a ballgame, how to prepare for a start, how to use your days between starts, how to deal with a pitching coach, how to manage your temperament, and on and on. I happen to think that the influence of a good teammate is the most underrated commodity in the game today.

Bumstead
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
My point was really that WHEN a player like Wood is ready to move up (and I'm not sure he is) a player LIKE Lehr (or McDonald for that matter) would/should not be used as an excuse to block the progressing prospect from advancing. The veteran minor leaguers have value as filler for the active roster (so that actual prospects don't have to be rushed) when needed or just working with the younger players on how to be professional baseball players. I'm not sure agents make much off guys like Lehr signing a minor league contract, but I'm sure they make a couple of dollars. I never criticized any roster decision; my only argument was as I stated above. Hopefully down the line we are thanking Lehr for helping provide a 3rd pitch in Bailey's arsenal.

Bum

RED VAN HOT
06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I believe that one of management's objective is to change the image of the organization and make Cincinnati a place where people want to play. In the long term, I believe it pays dividends even if it frustrates some of us short term

That said, Wood does seem to be ready to move up for the second half of the season. And, I believe there will be room for him.