PDA

View Full Version : Braves release Tom Glavine

Tom Servo
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal:

Tom Glavine is done in Atlanta.

According to major-league sources, the Braves released Glavine on Wednesday, just a day after the two-time Cy Young Award winner threw six scoreless innings in his latest rehab start.

Glavine was to be paid $1 million for his first day on the active roster, $1.25 million for 30 days on the roster and another $1.25 million for 90 days on the roster, bringing the total possible value of the deal to $4.5 million.

The Braves told Glavine that he was being released because his velocity is down, one source said. However, Glavine was throwing only 76-78 miles per hour in spring training and in recent starts had increased that to 83-86 miles per hour.

"I don't know what else I can do," Glavine said after Tuesday night's game, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Physically I felt good and I feel like I'm ready.

"I'd love to get to Atlanta and help the team. I'll go (to Turner Field) tomorrow and prepare to pitch on Sunday, wherever that is."

Glavine, who returned to Atlanta on a one-year deal, underwent minor elbow and shoulder surgeries during the offseason. He did not appear in a single game for the Braves this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9642590/Sources:-Braves-release-future-Hall-lock-Glavine

Ltlabner
06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I'll take "thread titles I thought I'd never read" for $100 Alex.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
That's a shame. I've never liked the Braves (mainly because they always seemed to pummel us), but Glavine was always a class act and it would've been a storybook ending for him to end his career in a Braves uni.

westofyou
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Turn out the lights... the party is over.

Brutus
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Most of the guests found their way home a while back. Now the host is simply kicking out the remaining folks.

Joseph
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM

We can hope, but goodness knows he's going to end up with someone like the Nationals.

penantboundreds
06-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I may be the only person here, but I would love to sign him for 1 mil for the rest of the year. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't but if he would do it, I would, he would be a hell of a leader and wouldn't be a downgrade over Owings IMHO.

klw
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I may be the only person here, but I would love to sign him for 1 mil for the rest of the year. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't but if he would do it, I would, he would be a hell of a leader and wouldn't be a downgrade over Owings IMHO.

I concur.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
We can hope, but goodness knows he's going to end up with someone like the Nationals.

The Mets seem likely. But the Nats probably need him more, I just doubt he'd pitch for them.

Nugget
06-03-2009, 07:24 PM
The Phils could probably pick him up and not have to trade Taylor after all.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
The Reds should do it...for depth purposes if nothing else. But they won't. I could see a revisit to the Mets though.

Chip R
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I think he'll retire.

Heath
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I think he'll retire.

The crawl on ESPN says the he wants to pitch in 2009.

My guess is the Mets.

But if he's tossing names he might want to check out Detroit and Chicago, South Side edition...

cincrazy
06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Tom Glavine in 2009 in GABP would be a disaster of epic proportions. Think Willie Mays in a Mets uniform times 5. He's had a great career. But it's time to hang it up, Tommy.

Unassisted
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
it would've been a storybook ending for him to end his career in a Braves uni.Maybe he did?

Roy Tucker
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Man, I used to just hate it when the Reds would play a series with the 90's version of the Braves.

With the core trio of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and then throw in guys like Avery, Millwood, Neagle, etc and you could always look forward to losing more than a few games. Those guys were all business.

Glavine ought to hang 'em up. He's got nothing left to prove.

Chip R
06-04-2009, 09:26 AM
The crawl on ESPN says the he wants to pitch in 2009.

And I want to win the lottery but it's probably not going to happen.

gm
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Tom Glavine in 2009 in GABP would be a disaster of epic proportions.

Unless he was pitching against the Reds. Glavine beat the Reds like a red-headed step-child long before Roy Oswalt came along

I think having him around as a 5th starter and to share his pitching knowledge (his "book" on NL hitters, etc) with the other Red's starters (and catchers) would be worthwhile

but I doubt it will happen

cincrazy
06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Unless he was pitching against the Reds. Glavine beat the Reds like a red-headed step-child long before Roy Oswalt came along

I think having him around as a 5th starter and to share his pitching knowledge (his "book" on NL hitters, etc) with the other Red's starters (and catchers) would be worthwhile

but I doubt it will happen

I think his knowledge would certainly be helpful. But as a coach. I wouldn't be willing to throw him out on the mound to get his brains beat in just so he could provide extra advice to a few guys.

I love Glavine, he's one of my favorites of this era. But it's time to hang 'em up, big boy.

15fan
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Maddux got out with his playing dignity relatively intact. Glavine & Smoltz are fighting to be the last one standing. Smoltz now appears to have a leg up on Glavine.

Personally, I'll be glad when the playing days of Hirohito, Mussolini and Hitler are all officially done.

Jpup
06-04-2009, 04:18 PM
If he wants a job, he will get one. I would guess that LA would be a nice fit.