PDA

View Full Version : Mallett Suspended for Positive Test

camisadelgolf
06-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Well, this confirms what some of us suspected . . .

NEW YORK -- Free-agent pitcher Justin Mallett was been suspended 100 games Wednesday for testing positive for a drug of abuse, his second violation of baseball's minor league drug program.

Mallett was suspended for 50 games on April 11, 2006, also following a positive test for a drug of abuse.

The 27-year-old right-hander was 0-2 with a 3.68 ERA in five starts this season for Cincinnati's Double-A Carolina farm team in the Southern League and had no record in two relief appearances for Triple-A Louisville in the International League. He was released Friday.

The suspension will start as soon as Mallett signs with a major league organization.

GIDP
06-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure if a lot of us were in the same situation we would probably be very tempted to do what we could to get a chance.

schmidty622
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure if a lot of us were in the same situation we would probably be very tempted to do what we could to get a chance.

I would agree with you but the article says "a drug of abuse." That probably means a drug of an illegal nature. If it were roids or whatever it would probably read "a performance enhancing drug."

GIDP
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
oh yea I didnt read it sorry, I read positive test with baseball and just assume. :(

Unless I really did mean id do some drugs of abuse to get ahead........ :)

texasdave
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
From Wikipedia:

[edit]
Drugs of Abuse
Testing for drugs of abuse is not administered randomly, but on a basis of reasonable cause. If one of the HPAC panel members has evidence that a player has used, possessed, or sold banned substances in the last 12 months, they call a conference and discuss the evidence with the other members. If a majority vote to test the suspected player is reached, then testing will take place immediately, after no later than 48 hours.

Drug Initial Test Level (ng/mL) Confirmation Test Level (ng/mL)
Cocaine Metabolites 300 150
Opiates/Metabolites 2000 2000
Phencyclicdine (PCP) 25 25
Cannabinoids 50

TC81190
06-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Judging by that list, and taking a complete shot in the dark, I'd say marijuana.

kpresidente
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Doesn't the list mean he was positive for all of them?

JaxRed
06-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think those are his results.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Baseball should not be suspending guys 100 games for marijuana use. (If that's in fact what this is about.)

dougdirt
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Baseball should not be suspending guys 100 games for marijuana use. (If that's in fact what this is about.)

Why shouldn't they?

Blitz Dorsey
06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Why shouldn't they?

There are hundreds of reasons. A better question is why should they?

mth123
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Because they need to show a strong drug policy to keep congress out of it. Its a second offense.

westofyou
06-07-2009, 03:26 PM

No doubt.

Doesn't the list mean he was positive for all of them?

The list quoted above is the limit tested for in a standard 6405N SAP test.

dougdirt
06-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Well, its illegal for starters. Two, its on the list of substances you can't put in your body.

GIDP
06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Simple solution. Dont do illegal stuff. Seems like its such a hard concept to grasp for some reason.

camisadelgolf
06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I can come up with several reasons to agree with you, but they all involve politics. What's your reasoning?

Blitz Dorsey
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I just think Americans in the future are going to look back on this time period and laugh their collective arses off that marijuana was illegal but alcohol was legal. Talk about the all-time best example of a contradiction. It's almost like us looking back on law changes over the years that were long overdue. For example: "We really didn't let blacks vote?" "There was really a time we didn't let women vote?" Stuff like that. Just backwards-arse thinking.

Congress wanted baseball to clean up PEDs. Someone smoking marijuana has nothing to do with that. Some people need it to deal with stress and anxiety and they don't want to take prescription pills. The NBA doesn't test its athletes for weed (or 90 percent of the players would be suspended) so why does baseball? Seriously, why in the world does baseball need to test for marijuana? I didn't think they did. Must just be a minors thing.

GIDP
06-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Well this thread is getting locked.

camisadelgolf
06-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah, if Blitz Dorsey had simply said, "It's political," that would have sufficed. :lol:

FIRELEFT
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I have a ? does MLB test for Pot. I know that MiLB does. However, I thought that MLB did not. Just a question no more no less.

Blitz Dorsey
06-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think MLB tests for pot. They know it would be absurd to do so.

And see, you guys were wrong about the thread getting locked. ;-) We're adults here. (I think.)

GIDP
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I doubt a mod has even seen it yet.

camisadelgolf
06-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Imho, this forum has some of the best posters in all of RZ, so I think they rarely have a need to moderate around here.

westofyou
06-09-2009, 09:48 AM

And see, you guys were wrong about the thread getting locked. ;-) We're adults here. (I think.)

They do test for pot

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/drug_policy.jsp?content=timeline

2001: MLB unilaterally implements its first random drug-testing program in the Minor Leagues. All players outside the 40-man roster of each Major League club are subject to random testing for steroid-based, performance enhancing drugs, plus drugs of abuse (marijuana, cocaine). The penalties are 15 games for a first positive test, 30 games for a second, 60 games for a third, and one year for a fourth. A fifth offense earns a ban from professional baseball for life.

camisadelgolf
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM

They do test for pot

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/drug_policy.jsp?content=timeline

2001: MLB unilaterally implements its first random drug-testing program in the Minor Leagues. All players outside the 40-man roster of each Major League club are subject to random testing for steroid-based, performance enhancing drugs, plus drugs of abuse (marijuana, cocaine). The penalties are 15 games for a first positive test, 30 games for a second, 60 games for a third, and one year for a fourth. A fifth offense earns a ban from professional baseball for life.
:)

Blitz Dorsey
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
OK, so guys on the 40-man are not tested and there is only random testing for the minor league guys. That settles it.

No wonder so many agents push for their guys to get on the 40-man right away. They want to smoke a celebratory blunt upon signing their first MLB contract. ;-)