PDA

View Full Version : Heres why the Reds cant get into the playoffs

fewfirstchoice
06-04-2009, 11:16 PM
All these other teams (Cardinals, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Mets, etc.) are trying to improve while the Reds just stand pat. I know its a little early for alot of action but cant we at least hear a rumor or 2. You hear the teams above talking to teams about players (Dunn, DeRosa, Beltre, etc.) and you hear nothing about the Reds even looking when one player maybe 2 could push them over the hump. These fringe teams are killing me.

Mutaman
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree. Lets hear more rumors. I knew this would happen when Jocketty got hired: the number of trade rumours we heard would greatly diminish.

BluegrassRedleg
06-05-2009, 04:11 AM
I firmly believe WJ will make some sort of move. It won't be a "mortgage the future to win this year" type of deal, but I think he'll do something to give them a fighting chance. A lot of that could do with the prognosis for Votto. If he comes back soon, they have a shot. If he's gonna deal with this thing indefinitely, it may not be worth making a deal.

The Voice of IH
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I trust Jocketty 100%, if we need to trade, then he will trade, if we don't need it, then it won't happen. just remeber, the trade deadline is far away, so anything can happen.

Ghosts of 1990
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd like Jocketty to make a move but it seems like the cupboard is bare to a degree. We all want someone worthwhile to add to this team but other teams aren't going to give those guys away. It's very, very tough to pull of a good trade without getting yourself fleeced. I mean you have to give up something to get anything quality. I see the same names over and over, Bailey, Edwin, etc.

Those guys aren't going to bring anything worthwhile in return. You want something along the lines of what most of you are hoping for and its going to cost Alonso. That's why we're not hearing any moves being made. Jocketty doesn't want to give up that for a couple month rental.

I agree that he'll make a move but it might be something minor in the way of a role player or a bullpen arm. Just making a move sometimes can do a lot for a clubhouse in letting the team know that they're adding help, even if its someone small. I always think back to 1999, that acquisition of Juan Guzman almost pushed us over the top. It was a great trade by Jim Bowden, which he never gets any recognition for.

markymark69
06-05-2009, 01:54 PM
All these other teams (Cardinals, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Mets, etc.) are trying to improve while the Reds just stand pat. I know its a little early for alot of action but cant we at least hear a rumor or 2. You hear the teams above talking to teams about players (Dunn, DeRosa, Beltre, etc.) and you hear nothing about the Reds even looking when one player maybe 2 could push them over the hump. These fringe teams are killing me.

How do you know the Reds aren't trying to make moves? Have these other teams made any moves? Rumors are just that --- rumors --- in most cases you could fertilize the garden with them. Let's wait until moves are made before we get upset.

dunner13
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I'd like Jocketty to make a move but it seems like the cupboard is bare to a degree. We all want someone worthwhile to add to this team but other teams aren't going to give those guys away. It's very, very tough to pull of a good trade without getting yourself fleeced. I mean you have to give up something to get anything quality. I see the same names over and over, Bailey, Edwin, etc.

Those guys aren't going to bring anything worthwhile in return. You want something along the lines of what most of you are hoping for and its going to cost Alonso. That's why we're not hearing any moves being made. Jocketty doesn't want to give up that for a couple month rental.

I agree that he'll make a move but it might be something minor in the way of a role player or a bullpen arm. Just making a move sometimes can do a lot for a clubhouse in letting the team know that they're adding help, even if its someone small. I always think back to 1999, that acquisition of Juan Guzman almost pushed us over the top. It was a great trade by Jim Bowden, which he never gets any recognition for.

Correct me if im wrong but we did give up bj ryan in that deal, who went on to be a top closer and guzman pretty much did nothing after 09.

xavr1
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
A big reason you read the "trade rumors" about the teams you mentioned is because most of them are big money market teams with a huge fan base. Outlets like ESPN always highlight potential deals involving these teams because they cover them more extensively. Plus, big money teams have the money to cover cash considerations involved in some deals.

I believe Walt has just as much intention of making a deal as any other GM. As the Reds, though, we usually stay under the radar.

Kingspoint
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
They are young (can't hit with RISP), while their biggest bats are either struggling or injured.

The injuries weren't expected, but the other things were.

They are doing just fine.

They get to feast on Nationals pitching now for 3 games.

sivman17
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
we are playing with easy e, votto, and volquez on the DL. we are playing with a rookie catcher, a rookie third baseman, a catcher playing first base, musical chairs in left and center field, two really young starting pitchers, AND we are still above .500. have some patience and give them a break, they are doing the best they can.

Kingspoint
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM
we are playing with easy e, votto, and volquez on the DL. we are playing with a rookie catcher, a rookie third baseman, a catcher playing first base, musical chairs in left and center field, two really young starting pitchers, AND we are still above .500. have some patience and give them a break, they are doing the best they can.

You look at that and it's really amazing how well they are doing. Overall, they are still over-achieving.

Nothing at all bothers me about this season, but I'd love to see what our defense could do if we had our regulars in every spot for a while.

Kingspoint
06-08-2009, 08:14 PM
This is exactly how I feel (as I already stated it before I read what Bob Miller had to say):

bob_miller: Right now we just have to get healthy. If we do that, we'll be adding Votto, Volquez and Encarnacion without losing any players to trades. I would like us to be healthy for 30 days and see how we do.

DTCromer
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Here's my biggest problem: We're not going to win a World Series in 2009. In my honest opinion, if everyone stays healthy out our core group of players, we're more primed for a run in 2010. I know Reds fans hate hearing about next year, but this organization is set up for a Cleveland Indians mid-90's, New York Yankees, and Atlanta Braves, type of dynasty run if it makes the right moves to contend for a championship next year.

If you look at most of Jocketty's trades in STL, if and when he traded for guys like Mulder or McGwire, he didn't rent them. . . and he shouldn't at smaller market teams in STL and Cincinnati. He got them to stay for 2-3-4 more years. Walt has made some very good trades involving big names in STL and I think he'll do the same here. There are some pieces, like Arroyo, that we could easily trade or keep for a nice run in 2010 and beyond.

Slyder
06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
To those "make a move just because" I remind you of one Eric Milton. Do you really want to make a move for the sake of making a move :D.

1 or 2 moves isnt going to make this team a world series contender with our health the way it is. Like Bob Miller said we have to get healthy first.

fugowitribe
06-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Have you ever heard of a Walt Jocketty rumor....it doesn't exist. He is the master of tight lips and sudden moves. Don't expect to hear of a trade before it happens with this guy at the helm. Peter Gammons and Buster Olney can speculate and forecast all they want, but at the end of the day Jonhn Fay will be the first to say.

mivers176
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
For whatever reason, I cant stop thinking about putting together some type of deal to try to bring Matt Holliday here for at least the rest of the season. Granted he's not tearing up the AL right now but bring him to GABP for the summer months and I think you'll see his Rockies numbers return - .320+ average with 25+ HR and 15 SB. Imagine him batting in the middle of the lineup, especially if Votto comes back - would be a nice 3-4-5 with BP.

I dont know what, if anything, we have that Oakland would want in return but I dont want to see our season with a very good staff go to waste b/c we cant score more than 2-3 runs per game...

anyone else on board?

jmac
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
For whatever reason, I cant stop thinking about putting together some type of deal to try to bring Matt Holliday here for at least the rest of the season. Granted he's not tearing up the AL right now but bring him to GABP for the summer months and I think you'll see his Rockies numbers return - .320+ average with 25+ HR and 15 SB. Imagine him batting in the middle of the lineup, especially if Votto comes back - would be a nice 3-4-5 with BP.

I dont know what, if anything, we have that Oakland would want in return but I dont want to see our season with a very good staff go to waste b/c we cant score more than 2-3 runs per game...

anyone else on board?
I have been for a Holiday type deal all along as the Reds definitely need some offensive punch.
One thing to consider now however is the A's. They have currently won 7 in a row and set only 6 & 1/2 behind the Rangers who most figure will slide back to the rest of the pack. So will they deal Holliday afterall ?
Knowing the wildcard will not come from that division is nearly a given, what most Holliday "pursuers" should hope is LA gets all their starters back and puts a run together to build a big lead of their own. That would pretty much tip the scales in the " trade Matt" column.

mivers176
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I have been for a Holiday type deal all along as the Reds definitely need some offensive punch.
One thing to consider now however is the A's. They have currently won 7 in a row and set only 6 & 1/2 behind the Rangers who most figure will slide back to the rest of the pack. So will they deal Holliday afterall ?
Knowing the wildcard will not come from that division is nearly a given, what most Holliday "pursuers" should hope is LA gets all their starters back and puts a run together to build a big lead of their own. That would pretty much tip the scales in the " trade Matt" column.

yeah thats true...guess when i first heard on ESPN that one of the analysts thought he might be the first big hitter to go b/c of how poor the A's were doing, i havent paid attention to what they've done lately. i just wonder what we have to deal and/or what it would take. if it was Homer and one other non premium prospect would it be do-able? not that i'm hating on Homer but with one strong move like this, it could really tip the NL Central in our favor and with Harang-healthy Volquez-Cueto, we'd be a tough out in the post season. just dont want to miss the opportunity! :)

imagine this lineup!

Tavaras - CF
Hairston - 3B
Votto - 1B
Holliday - LF
Phillips -2B
Bruce - RF
Hernandez - C
Gonzalez - SS

THEblindhomer
06-11-2009, 03:37 AM

Cardinals are not going to do anything, their owner is cutting payroll. where do you come up with this stuff? As for the Brewers I seriously doubt they will do anything like adding CC last year. They gave up their best prospect for a rental. That cannot keep up. Reds should and will be there this year. This isnt the same old REDS