PDA

View Full Version : Heisey second, Frazier seventh on Baseball America Hot Sheet

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
No. 2 CHRIS HEISEY, CF, REDS

Team: Double-A Carolina (Southern)
Why He's Here: .531/.571/1.000 (17-for-32), 3 2B, 4 HR, 12 RBIs, 3 BB, 6 SO, 2-for-2 SB
The Scoop: If not for the fact that Drew Stubbs is established as the center fielder for Triple-A Louisville, it would be time to start wondering what's keeping Heisey in Double-A. It's worth noting, though, that Heisey and Stubbs both played for high Class A Sarasota last year. Heisey now leads the SL in batting (.384), slugging (.640), runs (43) and hits (78)—and he ranks second in on-base percentage (.462) and doubles (18). His 10 home runs rank fourth. He's walked (27) more than he's struck out (19), and he's stolen 11 bases in 12 tries. He's simply been nearly flawless this year, which is a pretty amazing rise for a 17th-round pick from Division III Messiah (Pa.). The one knock he had coming into the year was his ability to hit righthanders, but he's more than handled them this year.

No. 7 TODD FRAZIER, LF, REDS

Team: Double-A Carolina (Southern)
Why He's Here: .500/.576/.821 (14-for-28), 6 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 5 BB, 1 SO
The Scoop: Is it any surprise that the Carolina Mudcats are on an eight-game winning streak with two of their top prospects both making the Hot Sheet? Frazier has proven to be a doubles machine, as he leads the minors with 24 after his week-long binge. With Joey Votto out indefinitely, it's worth noting that Frazier still has his first baseman's mitt—he's played 11 games there this year, even if his first base at-bats will be very limited in Carolina now that Yonder Alonso has joined the club.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268290.html

Kc61
06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
You get the feeling that something has got to give with this franchise given all the near major leaguers at AA and AAA? Stubbs, Heisey, and Frazier are all nearly ready for the major leagues. Yes, two of them need some AAA time, but these guys are on the cusp.

Maloney is up now, but likely only for a replacement stay. Bailey is out of options after this year. The AAA bullpen has Roenicke and Manuel -- pitching great for AAA -- Viola close too, and either Burton or Fisher will have to go to AAA to make room for MM.

And this doesn't include Alonso who is at AA but must be viewed as a potential major leaguer some time next season.

What will they do with all these guys? Hard to believe they can promote all of them to Cincinnati and still have room for the veterans. Can't hold them in the minors forever -- just will run down their value.

Have to expect player moves to make room for them, or trades of prospects for veterans, fairly soon.

mth123
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
You get the feeling that something has got to give with this franchise given all the near major leaguers at AA and AAA? Stubbs, Heisey, and Frazier are all nearly ready for the major leagues. Yes, two of them need some AAA time, but these guys are on the cusp.

Maloney is up now, but likely only for a replacement stay. Bailey is out of options after this year. The AAA bullpen has Roenicke and Manuel -- pitching great for AAA -- Viola close too, and either Burton or Fisher will have to go to AAA to make room for MM.

And this doesn't include Alonso who is at AA but must be viewed as a potential major leaguer some time next season.

What will they do with all these guys? Hard to believe they can promote all of them to Cincinnati and still have room for the veterans. Can't hold them in the minors forever -- just will run down their value.

Have to expect player moves to make room for them, or trades of prospects for veterans, fairly soon.

Jake Peavey! Jake Peavey!

GIDP
06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Blocked trade! Blocked trade!

mth123
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM

:laugh:

Brutus
06-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Not to derail this topic, but Peavy's agent has said numerous times Peavy prefers A) the National League and B) the Midwest.

I don't think he'd block a trade to the Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers or Reds. In fact, his agent said there were 4-5 teams that could make the deal pretty easily.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Ben (Leland Grove): PLEASE explain this - I'm curious why Matt Maloney didn't get any love this week? A complete game 3-hitter with 9 K's isn't noteworthy?

J.J. Cooper: Hey everyone. I'll join in the chat as well. Maloney very easily could have made this week's list. I'll be fascinated to see how he does on Saturday when he gets his first big league start. Maloney is one of those pitchers who has always managed to get strikeouts despite only average stuff, and his 58-9 K-BB ratio this year is outstanding. The concern has been that his average stuff doesn't give him much margin for error at the big league level, but it's time to give him a chance to prove doubters wrong. Maloney's one of several Reds pitchers at the upper levels doing well--Travis Wood and Zach Stewart were on the cusp of the Hot Sheet as well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1244222458

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Drew (Hornell, NY): Heisey-- Always been underrated but has proved himself at all levels. Unfortunate to see a log jam in his conservative organization. Do you think Chris Heisey is getting a fair shake from the Reds?

J.J. Cooper: Considering that no other team drafted him in the first 16 rounds, it's probably fair to say that the Reds gave him the fairest shake. Scout Jeff Brookens believed in Heisey as a pro prospect when no one else was noticing him. Heisey has 19 games of Double-A experience coming into the season, so it makes perfect sense that the Reds started him in Carolina, especially when the team has a prospect playing center field in Triple-A as well. The Reds have promoted Heisey in-season in each of the past two years, and I'd expect they'll do it again with him at some point this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1244222458

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Not to derail this topic, but Peavy's agent has said numerous times Peavy prefers A) the National League and B) the Midwest.

I don't think he'd block a trade to the Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers or Reds. In fact, his agent said there were 4-5 teams that could make the deal pretty easily.

I read an insider piece about a week or 2 ago saying Jake didn't like Philly because of the park and how easy it is to hit the longball there. I have a feeling GABP falls into that category for him as well.

Brutus
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I read an insider piece about a week or 2 ago saying Jake didn't like Philly because of the park and how easy it is to hit the longball there. I have a feeling GABP falls into that category for him as well.

I could see that being a concern. I wonder, though, if the Reds were to make a deal, if he would not go ahead and take it since it meets most of the criteria he's looking for.

fearofpopvol1
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Which is lame because it's not like Wrigley Field is a pitcher's paradise.

DTCromer
06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Why do people want to give up the farm for Peavy? He's not as good as advertised IMO.

mth123
06-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Why do people want to give up the farm for Peavy? He's not as good as advertised IMO.

Because the Reds have plenty of other prospects at the positions which might be required and upgrading from Owings to Peavey is a greater improvement to the Roster than any other single player who could be acquired.

GIDP
06-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Giving up the farm and giving up what the Padres are dumb enough to take are two different things.

Brutus
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Giving up the farm and giving up what the Padres are dumb enough to take are two different things.

Based on the package the White Sox offered, I definitely don't think teams will have to quite give up the farm to get Peavy.

GIDP
06-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Based on the package the White Sox offered, I definitely don't think teams will have to quite give up the farm to get Peavy.

exactly