PDA

View Full Version : 5-9 in one run games

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2009, 10:39 PM
After tonight, the Reds are 5-9 in one run games. Let's take a look at the scores of those nine losses:

2-1
4-3
3-2
8-7
6-5
4-3
7-6
3-2
2-1

Also, the Reds have lost six games this year where the pitching allowed three runs or fewer.

I can't help but wonder where this team would be with a better offense. That includes a healthy Joey Votto, plus another big bat or two (or Dickerson in CF instead of Taveras) in the lineup. I'm guessing we would probably have about four more wins and be at the top of the NL Central.

D-Man
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
After tonight, the Reds are just 5-9 in one run games. Let's take a look at the scores of those nine losses:

2-1
4-3
3-2
8-7
6-5
4-3
7-6
3-2
2-1

Also, the Reds have lost six games this year where the pitching allowed three runs or fewer.

I can't help but wonder where this team would be with a better offense. That includes a healthy Joey Votto, plus another big bat or two (or Dickerson in CF instead of Taveras) in the lineup. I'm guessing we would probably have about four more wins and be at the top of the NL Central.

Don't just look at 1-run games, look at close games (1-3 run differential). That gives a better point of view, and the Reds are pretty much even (13-14) in those games after tonight.

More importantly, the games are close because the bullpen keeps them close. No better bullpen in the NL, according to win probability added (WPA).

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/teams/

The offensive deficiencies are fixable (LF platoon, CF, 3B, 1B backup). That should be first order of business around the All Star Break if the Reds are still in the mix and the pitching remains healthy.

cincrazy
06-06-2009, 03:28 PM
After tonight, the Reds are 5-9 in one run games. Let's take a look at the scores of those nine losses:

2-1
4-3
3-2
8-7
6-5
4-3
7-6
3-2
2-1

Agreed. I know some around here feel that the pitching is more of a problem to address than the offense, but I fail to see that. The offense continues to cost this team, and unless it's addressed, will be the team's downfall.