PDA

View Full Version : Tired of watching Gonzo slow down running to 1st base!!!

redsfan4445
06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
!I was at the game and I wasnt happy in the ninth!! Where is the questioning of Gonzalez NOT hustling down the line in the ninth??? he EVEN slowed up when he reached first base!!! Thats NOT Acceptable... He was more worried about the last strike call at the plate by the umpire, what does he do?? he throws his helmet in the direction down near homeplate!! IF I was the manager,, he would have met me at the steps explaining that garbage!! AND he would be sitting the last two games of this series.. Rosales, Janish would have hustled down the line if THEY had hit the ball up the middle!! that was the ballgame..later in the inning they would have had one less out, or Rosales would have bunted.. etc..and later Hanigan gets a big base hit!! its ridiculous...Teams that say they are better then other teams, DON'T play lackadaisical!!

reds44
06-06-2009, 12:28 AM
I wish everybody ran around the bases real fast like Rosales does.

Gonzalez stopped running when it was clear he was out at first. It's not like he wasn't running hard down the line, he was.

RedlegJake
06-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I wish everybody ran around the bases real fast like Rosales does.

Gonzalez stopped running when it was clear he was out at first. It's not like he wasn't running hard down the line, he was.

I agree.

Highlifeman21
06-07-2009, 07:24 AM
!I was at the game and I wasnt happy in the ninth!! Where is the questioning of Gonzalez NOT hustling down the line in the ninth??? he EVEN slowed up when he reached first base!!! Thats NOT Acceptable... He was more worried about the last strike call at the plate by the umpire, what does he do?? he throws his helmet in the direction down near homeplate!! IF I was the manager,, he would have met me at the steps explaining that garbage!! AND he would be sitting the last two games of this series.. Rosales, Janish would have hustled down the line if THEY had hit the ball up the middle!! that was the ballgame..later in the inning they would have had one less out, or Rosales would have bunted.. etc..and later Hanigan gets a big base hit!! its ridiculous...Teams that say they are better then other teams, DON'T play lackadaisical!!

Take a deep breath

Redlegs
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I heard a call on WLW the other night in which the caller said this team didn't have a shortstop. I just don't understand all the displeasure with Alex Gonzalez. I find him to be a quality shortstop with a great glove and his bat is good enough. He contributes well to this team, IMO.

Chip R
06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I heard a call on WLW the other night in which the caller said this team didn't have a shortstop. I just don't understand all the displeasure with Alex Gonzalez. I find him to be a quality shortstop with a great glove and his bat is good enough. He contributes well to this team, IMO.

I have no problems with his defense. His arm is fantastic. He doesn't even look like he's throwing with any effort whatsoever but that ball just rockets over there.

As for his offense, he's a non-contributor. It wouldn't be so bad if more people in the lineup were hitting. He's got no power but that's OK if you can get on base at a decent clip - which he is not.

pahster
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM

Good enough for what?

2009: .217/.257/.308/.564/46 OPS+

That's atrocious production.

westofyou
06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Good enough for what?

He's only 12 points (OPS) behind Jimmy Rollins.... Rollins is really having a bad year eh? Really Bad.

Redlegs
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Good enough for what?

His career batting avg indicates he'll be around .250 when it's all said and done. Granted, he's gotten off to a slow start, but based on his outstanding defense, I'll take it.

I've seen enough baseball to know you need defense up the middle.

RedlegJake
06-07-2009, 10:57 AM
AGon is starting to come around. He'll never be a main cog but he's been looking better. With his glove work it's a quibble. The problem is Joey out, EE out, Bruce struggling. There's the offense. BP is the only guy in the main 4 who's healthy and hitting reasonably well. Laying it at AGon's feet is misdirected. Hernandez, Hanigan, AGon, Nix, Chris D, Gomes, Hairston - those guys were supposed to be role players and chip in here and there, instead they're being asked to carry the whole load. Take out Volquez and have Burton pull a Belisle on the relief corps and it's amazing they haven't collapsed - but that's why I love this team. These guys really don't have any quit in them. That includes AGon.

pahster
06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
His career batting avg indicates he'll be around .250 when it's all said and done. Granted, he's gotten off to a slow start, but based on his outstanding defense, I'll take it.

It's not a given that he's going to reach his career norms, which were always pretty poor to begin with. He's 32 and coming off a year in which he sat due to injury and he's looked awful at the plate all year. He's not a great defender by any means, he's just better than a lot of what the Reds have trotted out there recently. The Reds really need a SS who can field the position and hit better than a pitcher.

OUReds
06-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Outstanding defense? I'm not sure about that.

His UZR/150 ranks him 10th out of 23 qualified shortstops. That's pretty good, and it's a considerable improvement from his April defensive performance which I frankly thought was pretty poor.

Historically, AGon has had exactly one year that could be considered outstanding defensively, and that was a major knee surgery ago.

UZR/150 rank, qualified

2007 -8th (if he would have qualified)
2006 -2nd
2005 -13th
2004 -8th
2003 -6th

I know we got used to Keppinger out there, but we shouldn't let slightly above average SS defense outweigh his inept bat.

mth123
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Outstanding defense? I'm not sure about that.

His UZR/150 ranks him 10th out of 23 qualified shortstops. That's pretty good, and it's a considerable improvement from his April defensive performance which I frankly thought was pretty poor.

Historically, AGon has had exactly one year that could be considered outstanding defensively, and that was a major knee surgery ago.

UZR/150 rank, qualified

2007 -8th (if he would have qualified)
2006 -2nd
2005 -13th
2004 -8th
2003 -6th

I know we got used to Keppinger out there, but we shouldn't let slightly above average SS defense outweigh his inept bat.

Fine post.:thumbup: