PDA

View Full Version : While it's fresh in your mind!

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Since we just finished the mock draft I assume alot of us have had the opportunity to at least get a reasonable feel for who we'd like to see the Reds go after in the 1st several rounds. The question I have is who would you like them to avoid at all costs? Who do you just not believe in as an eventual asset? Obviously by asset I mean a tradeable guy or one who would eventually fill a hole on this team. You can break it down by round, or just throw out a few names in the midst of the 1st 5 rounds, however you want to do it. But please however you do it give us a good sound reason. This is your chance to steer the franchise away from a potential monumental disaster.

I have a few guys in mind that I believe will be busts but the one guy whom I would steer completely clear of is Matthew Purke. I read a piece on him that says he creates most if not all his velocity with his upper half, BA said he has a "slinging action in his delivery" that too me is a very bad sign. It's sounds too me like Bill Bray with less leg usage. I remember hearing at one point that Bray's sometimes diffculty with throwing to the outer half and keeping it in the zone was due to that slinging action or hitch in his delivery. And of course now we see he has ended up hurting himself also. Now granted under normal circumstances I'd still take a shot on him if he fell to our pick in the sandwich round but reports are that he'll be a tough sign regardless of where he is chosen and with those added concerns I just think it would be a bad investment.

Others who concern me are. Rich Poythress (Bat Speed), Ben Paulson (bat Speed), Rueben Sierra Jr. (attitude, work ethic) and Kyrell Hudson (attitude and work ethic). I'd probably still take Poythress but later than he maybe would go but the others I'd pass on unless it's way late in the draft.

Scrap Irony
06-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Mike Minor. Low ceiling attached to extremely pedestrian stuff. He's a smart pitcher already so his upside is limited, too. He's a fourth starter that happens to pitch southpaw.

And, while that has value, I don't think it holds that much value to the current crop of Cincinnati minor and major leaguers.

I also tend to question HS arms with poor mechanics and any pitcher that has only one pitch. Even if that pitch is exceptional.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Mike Minor. Low ceiling attached to extremely pedestrian stuff. He's a smart pitcher already so his upside is limited, too. He's a fourth starter that happens to pitch southpaw.

And, while that has value, I don't think it holds that much value to the current crop of Cincinnati minor and major leaguers.

I also tend to question HS arms with poor mechanics and any pitcher that has only one pitch. Even if that pitch is exceptional.

I agree.

I would have no problem with Minor in the second round, or even with our supplemental pick. But no. 8 overall? No way.

travisgrimes
06-07-2009, 01:08 AM
3B Chris Dominguez Louisville

The guys stats are ridiculous I think he hit something like .380 with 25 HRs and 85 RBIs and watched him against Cal State Fullerton and although he didnt play well the guys in the booth said he has the best raw power of any they have seen this year from watching him in batting practice. And I can't give you links but I know two mock drafts have us taking him in the 3rd round

aubashbrother
06-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Donavan Tate and Grant Green

Scrap Irony
06-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Why no Donavan Tate? Because he's a hard sign? Doubt his baseball ability?

aubashbrother
06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Im not sold on his bat

edabbs44
06-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm not getting that warm, fuzzy feeling on Grant Green. I don't like guys whose stock is plummeting as the season rolls on and the draft draws near.

I guess I feel the same way on Alex White.

RedlegJake
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't have a shine for Grant Green either. Not at #8. If he fell to the sandwhich pick, heck yeah but that's not likely to happen.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Donovan Tate reminds me of a slightly older Yorman Rodriguez - incredible tools but still a bit raw. I wouldn't be upset if the Reds drafted Tate, but I prefer a pitcher, or Grant Green.

joshnky
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
3B Chris Dominguez Louisville

The guys stats are ridiculous I think he hit something like .380 with 25 HRs and 85 RBIs and watched him against Cal State Fullerton and although he didnt play well the guys in the booth said he has the best raw power of any they have seen this year from watching him in batting practice. And I can't give you links but I know two mock drafts have us taking him in the 3rd round

He tore up the Cape Cod league last summer hitting the most home runs in that league since Frank Thomas. All with wooden bats. Although, as with most college third-basemen, his future is probably at another position.

travisgrimes
06-08-2009, 12:28 AM
well i mean if u think about it the guy is a proven hitter at the college and cape cod level.... if he drops to us in the 3rd round like he's projected I think he's the steal of the draft and gives us a little more room to trade Yonder Alonso for a power hitting CF, SS or young power hitting Catcher.... then as soon as dominguez is drafted put his butt in LF, that way Votto stays at 1st...

travisgrimes
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
hell i mean honestly i wouldnt mind taking this guy in the 2nd round or even the supp. 1st because he has a short track to the majors being that he's played 3 years of high school ball and has played EXTREMELY well in the cape cod league

dougdirt
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
hell i mean honestly i wouldnt mind taking this guy in the 2nd round or even the supp. 1st because he has a short track to the majors being that he's played 3 years of high school ball and has played EXTREMELY well in the cape cod league

Its a long way from the Cape to the Majors. He also has some pretty glaring holes in his swing that likely mean he isn't a guy you can fast track. He plays in a relatively weak baseball conference and still struck out 20% of the time he stepped to the plate this year. Not many guys strike out that often in college and turn into average major leaguers.

travisgrimes
06-08-2009, 02:05 AM
alot of the elite college hitters strike out a tune and that's normal cuz they try to do too much... once dominguez is in the minor league system he will learn he doesn't need to try so hard and just to go up and try to get a base hit thats all... and once he learns to do that and fixes the holes in his swing LOOK OUT

dougdirt
06-08-2009, 02:37 AM
alot of the elite college hitters strike out a tune and that's normal cuz they try to do too much... once dominguez is in the minor league system he will learn he doesn't need to try so hard and just to go up and try to get a base hit thats all... and once he learns to do that and fixes the holes in his swing LOOK OUT
Thats not really true. Most players out of college don't tend to change the amount they strikeout or walk. They tend to stay similar in terms of low-medium-high compared to their peers. It happens of course, but its not something we should assume happens. Historically speaking, college guys who strike out at the rates that Dominguez did in college (much less in a weak conference) don't make the adjustments they need to in order to be successful hitters at the major league level.