PDA

View Full Version : Can J. Bruce slide?

SWIndRed
06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I know the errant throw was because he was running in line with the throw, but shouldn't he be sliding at home to avoid a possible tag? (I'll admit Hairston was not giving the slide sign as the on deck hitter should be doing) He also didn't slide going into second base earlier. I seem to recall at least one other time when he was criticised for not sliding on a close play.

Captain Hook
06-07-2009, 12:54 AM
I know the errant throw was because he was running in line with the throw, but shouldn't he be sliding at home to avoid a possible tag? (I'll admit Hairston was not giving the slide sign as the on deck hitter should be doing) He also didn't slide going into second base earlier. I seem to recall at least one other time when he was criticised for not sliding on a close play.

I thought the same thing on the final play of the game.After seeing it a few times it looked like Soto was blocking the plate getting ready for a big collusion.Bruce was likely thinking the same thing and was going to try to plow him over.When the throw pulled Soto away from the plate Bruce just cruised in.I didn't have a big problem with it.

On the play before that Bruce should have slid without a doubt.It still was a play that if Bruce picked the ball up quicker he wouldn't have had to slide.But he didn't pick the ball up and it ended up being pretty close.As it turned out it really didn't matter but I'd like to think that the coaching staff would at least bring it up with Bruce to see what he was thinking.

WILD THING
06-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I think he may have been preparing for the collision at home with Soto had he come down with the throw. However, I do know what you're saying when it comes to Bruce sliding. I was down at the game and everyone in our section was a little confused at why he didn't slide into second.

WILD THING
06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Great minds think alike redsfever09.

I also agree with you that the coaching staff should talk to Jay and see what was up with his non-slide at 2nd. It could be anything from a brain fart to perhaps some soreness in a knee or something minor.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2009, 01:09 AM
He didn't slide but his tall frame did block any chance at a decent throw. What a stupid baserunning mistake.

mroby85
06-07-2009, 01:13 AM
He didn't slide but his tall frame did block any chance at a decent throw. What a stupid baserunning mistake.

I think you're being sarcastic, so i'm responding to the idea that you are. He shouldve slid to the outside part of the plate on that play, the throw had obviously already been made by the time he wouldve been sliding. Also, he definitely shouldve been busting it and slid into 2nd, that was a much closer play than it shouldve been. That being said I really like Bruce, and think he'll be fine, just hope he breaks out of this slump soon, because they need him.

Captain Hook
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
On his PH double today he had a nice slide into second to just beat the trow.So it looks like he can slide after all.

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Must be contagious. BP did the same thing on that bang-bang play at 3rd.

sivman17
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
this is a little off topic, but has anyone noticed how dickerson never ever dives back into first base on a pick off attempt. there have been some close plays but it's like he is afraid to get his jersey dirty

BluegrassRedleg
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
this is a little off topic, but has anyone noticed how dickerson never ever dives back into first base on a pick off attempt. there have been some close plays but it's like he is afraid to get his jersey dirty

He's never got a big enough lead to do so. :p:

For a good athlete, he may be one of the worst baserunners I have seen for the Reds.