PDA

View Full Version : Felix Pie leaves game after foul ball to throat

robmadden1
06-07-2009, 01:29 AM
OAKLAND -- Orioles outfielder Felix Pie was struck in the throat by a foul ball in the top of the second inning of Baltimore's 10-1 loss to the the A's on Saturday night. He finished the at-bat, but he was the replaced in left field in the bottom of the frame by Nolan Reimold.

Pie, making his first start in nine games, took a pitch and then fouled a ball off the plate. The ball came up and struck him squarely in the throat.

"They took him to get a CT scan on his throat," Orioles' manager Dave Trembley said. "He was hit squarely in the Adam's apple."

Orioles team trainer Richie Bancells rushed to Pie's side, who had walked a few feet toward the Baltimore dugout before taking a knee.

"He was a little light-headed," Trembley said. "It took the wind out of him. He said he was fine. We had the Oakland doctor look at him, and he recommended we take him out, so we did."

Pie struck out in the at-bat on a 2-2 delivery from A's rookie pitcher Trevor Cahill. Pie swung awkwardly at a pitch on the outside part of the plate.

Pie is hitting .200 on the season with a pair of home runs and four RBIs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090606&content_id=5182960&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

jfar23
06-07-2009, 09:07 AM
This happened to me in little league. I was the catcher and a throw home bounced up and hit me square in the throat. I literally couldn't talk for about 5 to 10 minutes.

reds1869
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I, too, have been hit in the throat. One of the worst feelings you could ever imagine.

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Scary stuff. There aren't too many worse places to get hit, I imagine.