PDA

View Full Version : Calm Down

Mutaman
06-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't get too high when you win and don't get too down when you lose. Yeah this was a bad one, but we were one stupid Adam Rosales fly ball away from taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs after a split with the Cards, with our best hitter and best pitcher on the DL.

The positives: with Fisher ,Herrera and Maloney looking like they can pitch in the majors, this is not a bad staff. Sure Lincoln is a hugh disappointment but he's irrelevant. Lets not panic, lets not do anything stupid, lets get Votto, EE and Edinson back and take it from there.

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Decent overall advice, but this isn't the first time that this has happened. It's not an isolated incident, but an ongoing pattern.

In a sport where your postseason chances often come down to one game, these are the type that wind up killing you.

davereds24
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
unlucky with the matchups too. zambrano should have gone thursday without the rainout, and cueto doesn't go.

not having masset to go 2-3 innings today hurt.

Mutaman
06-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Decent overall advice, but this isn't the first time that this has happened. It's not an isolated incident, but an ongoing pattern.

In a sport where your postseason chances often come down to one game, these are the type that wind up killing you.

True, but remember this is still a team that finished 80 games under .500
last year. We're going in the right direction and when's the last time you could say that about this organization?

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
last year. We're going in the right direction and when's the last time you could say that about this organization?

That is true, but you if you're truly going in the "right direction," games like this need to bother you (as a franchise). It's completely unacceptable for major league players to fail that many times.

gilpdawg
06-07-2009, 08:52 PM
80 games under .500? So we were 1-161?:D

gilpdawg
06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
That is true, but you if you're truly going in the "right direction," games like this need to bother you (as a franchise). It's completely unacceptable for major league players to fail that many times.

The problem isn't "major league players failing" the problem is the fact that this team is full of people who shouldn't be "major league players."

Be ready for more of the same until Votto and EE get back. Guys like Rosales & Janish just should not be getting key at bats. I know people like the guy (Rosales) because he gets his uniform dirty, but he's just not very good, which shows you how smart the average Joe fan down at the yard actually is. Not very.

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
^ Point taken. Either way, it's frustrating to think about.

Ghosts of 1990
06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
The problem isn't "major league players failing" the problem is the fact that this team is full of people who shouldn't be "major league players."

Be ready for more of the same until Votto and EE get back. Guys like Rosales & Janish just should not be getting key at bats. I know people like the guy (Rosales) because he gets his uniform dirty, but he's just not very good, which shows you how smart the average Joe fan down at the yard actually is. Not very.

Agree with you about Rosales.

Sure he hustles, but I'm stale of his act. In my opinion you can play hard without showing up the other team like he does. I think he's actually pretty bush league. Act like you've been there before. Baseball is a sport you have to play relaxed and stay within yourself. You can still hustle even if you do that. Rosales really takes it too a level I don't enjoy. And the average Joe loves it and thinks it cool. But if you're playing ball and you see a guy on the other team acting like that, I'm surprised he hasn't earned himself or a teammate one in the ear hole for it.

TheBigLebowski
06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
We need Votto, EE and Volquez back, for sure.

What frustrates me is the fact that we look like we can hang around and be competitive, but mgmt never really did anything about the offense.

Mutaman
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
We need Votto, EE and Volquez back, for sure.

What frustrates me is the fact that we look like we can hang around and be competitive, but mgmt never really did anything about the offense.

I keep asking- what do you want them to do?

bring up Grubb? check.

bring up Rosales? check.

play Dickerson in center? check.

Sign Gary Sheffield- I'll take Nix.

Mortgagage the furture for a fews months of Halliday- nah.

Getting Hernanedez, Rhodes, Masset, dumping Dunn and Jr: I think Jocketty knows what hes doing.

BurgervilleBuck
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
unlucky with the matchups too. zambrano should have gone thursday without the rainout, and cueto doesn't go.
Correction: Zambrano should have been serving his suspension. It should've been six starts, not six games.

:D

xavr1
06-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Great original post. These past 3 series stung, especially the missed opportunities at home this weekend. But there's a lot of ball to be played and we're down one Votto. Lets keep it in perspective and move on after tomorrow's off day.

davereds24
06-07-2009, 09:58 PM

good math

gilpdawg
06-07-2009, 10:13 PM
good math
How else would you do it?

Mutaman
06-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Well, it seemed that way.

BluegrassRedleg
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
They were 30-33 last year on June 7; 29-27 now. Not a great deal of difference.

texasdave
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
41-121 would be 80 games under .500.

goreds2
06-07-2009, 10:39 PM

HOWIE Math? :D ;)

captainmorgan07
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Mike Lincoln doesn't have a chance to blow that game if the reds capitalize on just one of those scoring chances. Yes Lincoln is terrible but so are Rosales and Janish.

Griffey012
06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Mike Lincoln doesn't have a chance to blow that game if the reds capitalize on just one of those scoring chances. Yes Lincoln is terrible but so are Rosales and Janish.

I was more teed that Jay Bruce was in for one good AB then out, yet Willy T stayed in for another 5 innings.

GOYA
06-08-2009, 12:01 AM
This team is one or two players getting hot (Bruce) from being a contender. Lincoln needs to be cut. As long as he's in the pen, he will do damage to the team.

BRM13
06-08-2009, 01:33 AM

I could say it last year at least. Going in the right direction isn't only about winning at the MLB level. They have systematically been improving the minor league talent, in general, and the pitching, in particular, for a few years. The team has been getting in position to be pretty good for a while starting as soon as 2010. They were unlikely to be very good at the major league level this year when they switched from an offensive oriented team to a pitching oriented team because they were still too unbalanced to really be much above .500. They didn't want to pay to keep Dunn or to replace his offense, so they were fated to play lots of close games like they lost this weekend. They'll win a bunch too, but end up around .500. As Bruce matures, Votto returns to health, and SS and LF/3B are upgraded this team will have a chance to be really good. I don't see that happening this year; but, next year, yes. Still, the plan is in place and has been coming into view for a while IMHO, so I think they've been going in the right direction at least since Krivsky was here, maybe since Bowden left. It is hard to over estimate the damage done by Bowden, Lindner and Allen but that is a different discussion.

gedred69
06-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Good thread for the most part. It's not even half way through a long, long season yet, and the Reds are still in the thick of it. Take a deep breath, relax. "It ain't over until it's over". Jocketty is a winner, and he holds no quarter, or favorites. I believe he will do everything he can to bring in/up whomever can make a difference.

On a side bar, this team really, really, really, misses Joey......
.434 (or something close) with runners in scoring position?

travisgrimes
06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
let's get right down to it:

Paul Janish
Alex Gonzalez
Adam Rosales
Chris Dickerson
Jared Burton
Mike Lincoln
Jerry Hairston Jr.

All of those guys don't deserve to be up here and on any other team wouldn't be.

gilpdawg
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
HOWIE Math? :D ;)
I invented Reds Math Robin.

gilpdawg
06-08-2009, 06:51 AM
41-121 would be 80 games under .500.
The gag's not as funny if you do it that way, literal Larry. :D

bgwilly31
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
let's get right down to it:

Paul Janish
Alex Gonzalez
Adam Rosales
Chris Dickerson
Jared Burton
Mike Lincoln
Jerry Hairston Jr.

All of those guys don't deserve to be up here and on any other team wouldn't be.

I agree with your list however JHJ is a player in the MLB.

UC_Ken
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Hairston may be a bench player but he's far from an everyday starter like we're playing him now. AGon as a veteran would be getting an opportunity to return to his career averages somewhere else also. But in general I agree, those guys are bad.

Mutaman
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
They were 30-33 last year on June 7; 29-27 now. Not a great deal of difference.

Paul Bako, David Ross, Keppinger, an aged Jr, Josh Fogg, Majewski, Belisle, ect, ect,. Believe me, there is a great deal of difference. This year's team is vastly improved. We need to get healthy. We need Joey, Volquez and EE back.

REDblooded
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

we get strasburg!

Kingspoint
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Don't get too high when you win and don't get too down when you lose. Yeah this was a bad one, but we were one stupid Adam Rosales fly ball away from taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs after a split with the Cards, with our best hitter and best pitcher on the DL.

The positives: with Fisher ,Herrera and Maloney looking like they can pitch in the majors, this is not a bad staff. Sure Lincoln is a hugh disappointment but he's irrelevant. Lets not panic, lets not do anything stupid, lets get Votto, EE and Edinson back and take it from there.

No kidding. Good post.

GOYA
06-08-2009, 03:38 PM
we get strasburg!

We couldn't afford him.