PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MLS Season

Yachtzee
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Any MLS fans out there? I thought I would start this thread to open discussion on the current season. Following the Crew, they started slow, but appear to be coming around. Watched the latest win in KC while flipping between that and the USMNT-Honduras game. It would be nice to see them play at full strength, as they always seem to be missing key players to injury or intl. duties. So what teams are you following and what's you're take on their play so far?

paintmered
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I want to be an MLS fan. I'll catch the Wednesday night game of the week on ESPN if I flip past it. I also don't have an allegiance. Geography states I should be a fan of the Crew, but I find them to be just as inaccessible as all the other teams. I was a big fan of watching Omar Cummings play at UC and he's with Colorado now.

I love to watch the game, but my fandom for the sport hasn't transcended into fandom for a team, either MLS or international.

Yachtzee
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I want to be an MLS fan. I'll catch the Wednesday night game of the week on ESPN if I flip past it. I also don't have an allegiance. Geography states I should be a fan of the Crew, but I find them to be just as inaccessible as all the other teams. I watched Omar Cummings play at UC for a few years and he's with Colorado now.

I love to watch the game, but my fandom for the sport hasn't transcended into fandom for a team, either MLS or international.

I followed the Crew early and was a big fan of Brian McBride, but then drifted away from the team because of lack of access to games on TV. Last season I really got back into following them. Spend some time watching Guillermo Barros Schellotto work his magic for the Crew. He's the reigning MVP and his play is incredible. He is definitely my favorite player in the MLS.

improbus
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I followed the Crew early and was a big fan of Brian McBride, but then drifted away from the team because of lack of access to games on TV. Last season I really got back into following them. Spend some time watching Guillermo Barros Schellotto work his magic for the Crew. He's the reigning MVP and his play is incredible. He is definitely my favorite player in the MLS.
I'm the same, but I was more of and Adrain Paz/"Sneaky"Pete Marino/Stern John guy myself. But, I went away to college and lost interest, however I am planning a trip to the Nordecke this season if possible. The Nordecke is the best group of sports fans in the state for any team. Unreal.

Yachtzee
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm the same, but I was more of and Adrain Paz/"Sneaky"Pete Marino/Stern John guy myself. But, I went away to college and lost interest, however I am planning a trip to the Nordecke this season if possible. The Nordecke is the best group of sports fans in the state for any team. Unreal.

I was amazed at their presence at the MLS cup out in LA last year. Standing, singing and chanting for 90 minutes is common among hardcore soccer fans, but they were able to make the Home Depot Center feel like home turf for the Crew.

reds1869
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I love soccer but just can't get into MLS. Compared to the European game it's like watching paint dry--extremely slow drying paint. I want MLS to succeed but it will have to do it without a lot of people watching. I will say the standard of play has grown by leaps and bounds and I do enjoy attending live matches.

Yachtzee
06-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I love soccer but just can't get into MLS. Compared to the European game it's like watching paint dry--extremely slow drying paint. I want MLS to succeed but it will have to do it without a lot of people watching. I will say the standard of play has grown by leaps and bounds and I do enjoy attending live matches.

If you're accustomed to EPL, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A, etc., the play is definitely a notch or two down in quality. Most MLS teams lack a central playmaker who can keep the ball moving and maintain the flow of the game. But I'd say MLS play is similar in many ways to many of the leagues of smaller European nations.

reds1869
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
But I'd say MLS play is similar in many ways to many of the leagues of smaller European nations.

Perhaps, but I've watched English matches as low as Conference South and been shocked at how much faster the pace was than the American game. The level of skill in MLS is very high--I think the top of the table would hold their own in the mid-table of the elite European leagues--but the pace of play is what bores me to tears. You are correct about the playakers, we have very few domestically.

Yachtzee
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Perhaps, but I've watched English matches as low as Conference South and been shocked at how much faster the pace was than the American game. The level of skill in MLS is very high--I think the top of the table would hold their own in the mid-table of the elite European leagues--but the pace of play is what bores me to tears. You are correct about the playakers, we have very few domestically.

I think in many ways, the MLS like the NBA in the Post-Jordan era. A lot of teams with extremely talented players but few "field general" types who could bind the team together to make it more than the sum of its parts. Of course the EPL has a very flowing style and refs generally try to balance the flow of the game with the need to keep control over the fouls and diving or simulation is strongly discouraged. On the other hand, play in other European leagues can be almost glacial at times when teams revert into a defensive shell and resort to diving and set pieces for scoring opportunities. As US refs get more experience at the top levels, I'd like to see them emulate that English style.

M2
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Perhaps, but I've watched English matches as low as Conference South and been shocked at how much faster the pace was than the American game.

My take on the MLS game is their feet move fast and the ball moves slow.

Yachtzee
06-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Ugh. Wanted to watch the MLS Game of the Week but the CWS game between Arkansas and UVA is in extra innings and MLS doesn't rate bumping ESPNews or Reruns on ESPN Classic or ESPNU.

reds1869
06-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Ugh. Wanted to watch the MLS Game of the Week but the CWS game between Arkansas and UVA is in extra innings and MLS doesn't rate bumping ESPNews or Reruns on ESPN Classic or ESPNU.

I can't believe they didn't at least put it on The Ocho. ;)

Yachtzee
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I can't believe they didn't at least put it on The Ocho. ;)

No kidding! :)

Actually, they put it on ESPN360.com, which is unavailable to many internet users because ESPN is not a believer in net neutrality. Just encourages people to seek out "unofficial" means to watch the game. ;)

Yachtzee
06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
By the way, the Sounders FC - United game was actually a great game ending in a 3-3 tie.

reds1869
06-18-2009, 07:09 PM
By the way, the Sounders FC - United game was actually a great game ending in a 3-3 tie.

I must admit I'm taking a liking to the Sounders. A very fun to watch team.

Yachtzee
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Watching Columbus v. FC Dallas. Up 1-0, Columbus coach Bob Warzycha pulls a Bob Bradley, holding onto his subs until the 80th minute, even though his starters are clearly gassed. The result, two FC Dallas goals, one on a penalty, to put the Crew down 2-1. I really wish the teams I follow would take the initiative on their subs and make their opponents respond instead of taking an early goal and sitting back, letting their opponent get momentum for late goals.

Newport Red
06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-450357/Beckhams-sporting-fashion-blunder.html

Beckham's fashion blunder. This is from 2007 but I thought it was funny. It's been so long, we really don't have a rivalry with LA anymore.

Yachtzee
07-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Columbus just pulled off a great comeback against Toronto FC. Down 2-1 in the second half, they tied it up and then Hedjuk has an incredible cross in the 92nd minute to Jason Garey to win it, 3-2. Columbus now sets a record for unbeaten streak at home.

Now watching the Beckham and Donovan show, featuring special guest the Kansas City Wizards.

M2
07-29-2009, 11:09 PM
All-Star game is tonight. MLS vs. Everton, and Everton is pretty much playing the A team. I like the format of putting the league's best against a quality foreign club. Both teams really want to win.

Everton has an early 1-0 lead after Stuat Holden gave the ball away to Louis Saha in front of the MLS net. One thing that's going to affect MLS in this game is no Shalrie Joseph. He owned the midfield in previous All-Star contests. No one on this year's MLS team can physically dominate like that.

Yachtzee
08-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Columbus Crew scored two against FC Dallas to win 2-0 to stretch a 5 game win streak and sit at the top of the Eastern Conference table at 39 points, neck and neck with Houston for the Supporter's Shield Race. The Crew starts their CONCACAF Champions League campaign against Puerto Rico Islanders this week. I'm itching to get down to a Crew game if any Redszoners are interested.

dsmith421
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Columbus Crew scored two against FC Dallas to win 2-0 to stretch a 5 game win streak and sit at the top of the Eastern Conference table at 39 points, neck and neck with Houston for the Supporter's Shield Race. The Crew starts their CONCACAF Champions League campaign against Puerto Rico Islanders this week. I'm itching to get down to a Crew game if any Redszoners are interested.

I drive up from Cincinnati somewhat frequently. Going tomorrow to the CONCACAF CL tilt against Puerto Rico.

dsmith421
08-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Wow, Columbus just took the biggest dump of all time.