PDA

View Full Version : The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Yachtzee
06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
What are people's views on some of the big transfers so far? News today is that Kaka is heading to Real Madrid. Any Real fans want to weigh in? The other big moves I've noticed so far are Gareth Barry to Man City and Mario Gomez to Bayern. Anyone seen anything about American players on the move?

improbus
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Barry to Man city? That is kind of disappointing. I liked what Villa had been building.

WMR
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not a Real Madrid fan, but they've got to be ecstatic to be adding a player of Kaka's caliber.

Betterread
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm not a Real Madrid fan, but they've got to be ecstatic to be adding a player of Kaka's caliber.

He can play a little, but he's no Landon Donovan.

improbus
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
He can play a little, but he's no Landon Donovan.
Or Eric Wynalda...

M2
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM

As a Real Madrid fan, I'm not convinced that throwing money around like crazy gets the job done. Yet if Kaka, Ronaldo and David Villa come through the door, it should be fascinating to watch.

Yachtzee
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
As a Real Madrid fan, I'm not convinced that throwing money around like crazy gets the job done. Yet if Kaka, Ronaldo and David Villa come through the door, it should be fascinating to watch.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Madrid, but it seems like their moves seem to be driven by rivalry with Barcelona in a Yankees/Red Sox kind of way.

M2
06-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Admittedly, I don't know much about Madrid, but it seems like their moves seem to be driven by rivalry with Barcelona in a Yankees/Red Sox kind of way.

That's pretty much it.

Real just brought back its version of George Steinbrenner. Barca's more like the Sox, spending slightly less obscene amounts while depending more on its gold-plated feeder system.

NJReds
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Kaka didn't impress me all that much with Milan. He ran hot and cold. I do like Pato, though.

Betterread
06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
That's pretty much it.

Real just brought back its version of George Steinbrenner. Barca's more like the Sox, spending slightly less obscene amounts while depending more on its gold-plated feeder system.
Don't compare this rivalry to Yanks/Sox. It is far deeper and more intense. It is between cultures - Castilians vrs. Catalans. Real Madrid is the world's richest football club. It became rich during the fascist dictatorships of Primo de Rivera and Francisco Franco. During that time, all regional cultures were openly suppressed (all the languages spoken in Spanish territory except Spanish itself were officially banned). Barca sybolized the Catalan people's desire for freedom, Barça became more than a club (més que un club). Support for Barca was the Catalans' best way of demonstrating their identity. It was less risky than joining a anti-Franco movement and allowed them to express their dissidence.
On the other hand, Real Supporters are Ultras - like Lazio's supporters. Their fandom is based on expression of brute force, reflecting their Franco patronage.

M2
06-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Don't compare this rivalry to Yanks/Sox. It is far deeper and more intense. It is between cultures - Castilians vrs. Catalans. Real Madrid is the world's richest football club. It became rich during the fascist dictatorships of Primo de Rivera and Francisco Franco. During that time, all regional cultures were openly suppressed (all the languages spoken in Spanish territory except Spanish itself were officially banned). Barca sybolized the Catalan people's desire for freedom, Barça became more than a club (més que un club). Support for Barca was the Catalans' best way of demonstrating their identity. It was less risky than joining a anti-Franco movement and allowed them to express their dissidence.
On the other hand, Real Supporters are Ultras - like Lazio's supporters. Their fandom is based on expression of brute force, reflecting their Franco patronage.

I know it's more than a simple Yankees-Red Sox analogy can encapsulate, but it characterizes the general nature of the rivalry in pure sporting terms.

I got to live in Madrid 20 years back. While Spain is always swimming in its history, it's a decidedly post-Franco society. Franco was an anachronism in Madrid when I was there. I lived near the Bernabeu, even got to go to some games there. It's why I'm a Madrid fan - when the club scored a goal, five million people stuck their heads out the window and screamed. How can't you fall in love with that?

Anyway, the knuckleheads you're talking about where a sliver back then and their numbers are even fewer today. It's nothing like Lazio, where entire sections of the stadium are overrun by the ultras (or even PSG with the Boulogne Boys).

Madrid and Barcelona compete to see who can play the most beautiful football in the world. Real Madrid is in many ways the most public expression of Madrid's collective desire to shed its Franquista history. Almodovar captured the change just about perfectly in "Live Flesh."

Yeah, it's oligarchists paying the bills (for both clubs, not just Madrid), but it's Romanticism at its core for the Royal Whites, not Futurism.

So, it's everything you said and everything dating back to pre-Roman Iberian history and everything that's happened post-Franco and a nation full of people who like to ogle a soccer match like it's the Maribel Verdus against the Penelope Cruzes.

Betterread
06-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Real Madrid is in many ways the most public expression of Madrid's collective desire to shed its Franquista history. Almodovar captured the change just about perfectly in "Live Flesh."

Yeah, it's oligarchists paying the bills (for both clubs, not just Madrid), but it's Romanticism at its core for the Royal Whites, not Futurism.

So, it's everything you said and everything dating back to pre-Roman Iberian history and everything that's happened post-Franco and a nation full of people who like to ogle a soccer match like it's the Maribel Verdus against the Penelope Cruzes.

Well-written. It won't turn me into a Real supporter, but it is a compelling ode to the beauty of the game - especially the Spanish version.

Yachtzee
06-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Not really transfer related, but I saw an article about Setanta having problems with speculation that ESPN might be interested in picking up their EPL rights. Could mean more English soccer on TV for us. Of course I'd like to see some German, Spanish and French soccer too, but I won't complain about more soccer on TV.

M2
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
And Man U has now confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo will be heading to Real Madrid for an $80M transfer. Cue the nefarious Darth Vader music. The rebel alliance in Barcelona will be crushed by the new Death Star.

HotCorner
06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
It's for $131M (US) or $80M (PND) ... :eek:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/11/ronaldo-real-madrid-markets-faces-soccer-spain.html

reds1869
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Not really transfer related, but I saw an article about Setanta having problems with speculation that ESPN might be interested in picking up their EPL rights. Could mean more English soccer on TV for us. Of course I'd like to see some German, Spanish and French soccer too, but I won't complain about more soccer on TV.

I would be thrilled if ESPN picked up EPL matches. I had to give up Setanta when I switched to cable from Dish (it was MLB Network vs. Setanta, and MLB won in my heart). I have been less than thrilled with Setanta Broadband. Half their rugby and a lot of their soccer are blacked out due to territorial restrictions and the picture quality is horrendous. They also keep charging my debit card even though I've canceled via email (the only way they will let you do so) like five million times to try and drive the point across! So a move to ESPN would be welcomed. Premiership in HD, yummy!

Yachtzee
06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
And Man U has now confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo will be heading to Real Madrid for an $80M transfer. Cue the nefarious Darth Vader music. The rebel alliance in Barcelona will be crushed by the new Death Star.

Watching Sky Sports, you have to love the American reporter trying to get a comment from Ronaldo while he's on vacation in L.A., "Any comment on your transfer to 'Royale' Madrid?"

Yachtzee
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM

One question I have is, where is all this money coming from? Reports indicate the ownership groups of some of the powerhouses of the EPL are struggling under massive debt and it seems like it's only getting tougher with the global recession. Is Madrid financially sound enough to toss all this money around without having to worry about having debts called in? While its fascinating to watch the transfer market, I wonder whether we're going to see a major European team suffer a severe financial crisis resulting in a crash in the transfer market. It seems a common practice to fund these transfers by selling off other players, but I imagine if a few teams had to engage in a major selloff to make debt payments, it would sink the transfer market.

reds1869
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
One question I have is, where is all this money coming from? Reports indicate the ownership groups of some of the powerhouses of the EPL are struggling under massive debt and it seems like it's only getting tougher with the global recession. Is Madrid financially sound enough to toss all this money around without having to worry about having debts called in? While its fascinating to watch the transfer market, I wonder whether we're going to see a major European team suffer a severe financial crisis resulting in a crash in the transfer market. It seems a common practice to fund these transfers by selling off other players, but I imagine if a few teams had to engage in a major selloff to make debt payments, it would sink the transfer market.

I suspect Real has a big enough pile of cash lying about to fund three Premiership operations.

M2
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM
One question I have is, where is all this money coming from?

Remember how in pirate movies they were always after Spanish dubloons? Well, there's a big pile of them in the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella and Real uses it to buy soccer players.

Honestly, Real seems to have an endless supply of money and no one's ever quite sure where it comes from.

Yachtzee
06-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Remember how in pirate movies they were always after Spanish dubloons? Well, there's a big pile of them in the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella and Real uses it to buy soccer players.

Honestly, Real seems to have an endless supply of money and no one's ever quite sure where it comes from.

Ha! Maybe the MLS should send Mikey, Chunk and the rest of Goonies out to find One-eyed Willy's treasure so they can have some dubloons of their own to buy soccer players. :)

ochre
06-11-2009, 06:05 PM
sounds like real is working on developing a solid prima dona quotient...

NJReds
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
sounds like real is working on developing a solid prima dona quotient...

And a world class diving team.

M2
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
BTW, Sunderland scored a coup in nabbing Steve Bruce as manager.

reds1869
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
And a world class diving team.

Secret Italian training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDyp2aRRCg

Joseph
06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
So they sold this guy for 131 million? Is that how that works?

Really?

In this economy?

Hell in ANY economy?

reds1869
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
So they sold this guy for 131 million? Is that how that works?

Really?

In this economy?

Hell in ANY economy?

Real has insane amounts of money, just like many pro sports franchises--including those in America who are using the economy as an excuse to cut corners. I don't have any proof, but I would almost lay money on the fact that Real's revenue stream has increased even in this economic situation. They continue to expand their global marketing and rake in the cash.

Yachtzee
06-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Real has insane amounts of money, just like many pro sports franchises--including those in America who are using the economy as an excuse to cut corners. I don't have any proof, but I would almost lay money on the fact that Real's revenue stream has increased even in this economic situation. They continue to expand their global marketing and rake in the cash.

Every sports team has a limited revenue stream. Just as with other teams, I suspect that much of Real's revenue is based on revenues from TV and other media. The stability of those revenue streams could well depend on the diversity of a team's media contracts. If a team's media partner highly leveraged itself in order to pay for the team's broadcast rights, it could find itself in a position where it can't pay its debts and goes into receivership. The rights could then be auctioned off at a discount rate, resulting in less revenue for the team, putting in a position where it can't pay its debts. Then the dominoes begin to fall.

Is that Real's situation, I have no idea. Leagues like the MLB, NFL, NBA, and the EPL have their media contracts split among numerous media outlets. If one outlet has financial difficulties, the league and its teams still have other resources. I don't know that La Liga or Real Madrid have the same setup. I just know that I can't watch La Liga, which is kind of surprising considering Real Madrid markets itself as a worldwide brand. It's kind of surprising and disappointing, because I'd really like to watch some Real Madrid games this coming season. You would think that they would have a deal with an accessible English language outlet in the US similar to the EPL and Serie A.

ochre
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
la liga is on gol tv a lot (I have directv).

reds1869
06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Every sports team has a limited revenue stream. Just as with other teams, I suspect that much of Real's revenue is based on revenues from TV and other media. The stability of those revenue streams could well depend on the diversity of a team's media contracts. If a team's media partner highly leveraged itself in order to pay for the team's broadcast rights, it could find itself in a position where it can't pay its debts and goes into receivership. The rights could then be auctioned off at a discount rate, resulting in less revenue for the team, putting in a position where it can't pay its debts. Then the dominoes begin to fall.

Is that Real's situation, I have no idea. Leagues like the MLB, NFL, NBA, and the EPL have their media contracts split among numerous media outlets. If one outlet has financial difficulties, the league and its teams still have other resources. I don't know that La Liga or Real Madrid have the same setup. I just know that I can't watch La Liga, which is kind of surprising considering Real Madrid markets itself as a worldwide brand. It's kind of surprising and disappointing, because I'd really like to watch some Real Madrid games this coming season. You would think that they would have a deal with an accessible English language outlet in the US similar to the EPL and Serie A.

Here are a couple of links about their finances, and why they can afford to do what they are doing. Remember, this is just revenue for the past year, saying nothing of the cash reserves a wealthy club (and non-English, as they just blow it all) will likely have.

http://www.soccerticketsonline.com/why-real-madrid-is-so-rich/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7884780.stm

M2
06-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Four games every week and pretty much every Real and Barca game. And you get the finer than froghair commentary of Ray Hudson to boot.

Yachtzee
06-15-2009, 03:03 PM

That's nice. But isn't Gol TV only available if you buy the Sports Pack? Is it even carried on something other than DirectTV?

M2
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
That's nice. But isn't Gol TV only available if you buy the Sports Pack? Is it even carried on something other than DirectTV?

I get it in my cable package, though it probably varies by provider and location.

NJReds
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I get it in my cable package, though it probably varies by provider and location.

Same with me. I can get it with Cablevision, but I have to buy it as part of a sports package that includes a bunch of regional FOX channels.

Yachtzee
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Which probably means I'd have to go back to DirectTV to get it here. Not that I have a problem with that, as I enjoyed DirectTV. It's just that right now I'm saving a huge amount of money on my local phone costs by packaging phone, internet and TV through the evil Time Warner. Who knows. Maybe they'll pick it as the hispanic population grows.

WMR
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
You should check out www.justin.tv

People stream all sorts of soccer matches on that site and the quality is usually quite good.

reds1869
06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Which probably means I'd have to go back to DirectTV to get it here. Not that I have a problem with that, as I enjoyed DirectTV. It's just that right now I'm saving a huge amount of money on my local phone costs by packaging phone, internet and TV through the evil Time Warner. Who knows. Maybe they'll pick it as the hispanic population grows.

I, too, go with TW for their awesome deal. When I left Dish I was paying $120 per month just for satellite, now I'm paying $100 for cable and internet. When they dropped Gol and refused to add MLB Network I knew I had to change to either DirecTV or cable. TW made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I do miss Gol and Setanta badly, though. At least I have Setanta Broadband.

Yachtzee
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
I, too, go with TW for their awesome deal. When I left Dish I was paying $120 per month just for satellite, now I'm paying $100 for cable and internet. When they dropped Gol and refused to add MLB Network I knew I had to change to either DirecTV or cable. TW made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I do miss Gol and Setanta badly, though. At least I have Setanta Broadband.

Yeah, I tried to see if I could get Gol streaming online, but it doesn't look like it. It's a shame because I'd really like to watch some Bundesliga and La Liga. I wonder what happens if Setanta goes under. I wouldn't mind signing up for the broadband, but I fear they're on the way out.

reds1869
06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I tried to see if I could get Gol streaming online, but it doesn't look like it. It's a shame because I'd really like to watch some Bundesliga and La Liga. I wonder what happens if Setanta goes under. I wouldn't mind signing up for the broadband, but I fear they're on the way out.

FSC should pounce on the Bundesliga once it is available. I agree, Setanta is on the way out. If they lose the rest of their EPL contract they are toast. They've already lost the AFL which was huge draw for Australian ex-pats and are on the verge of losing Super XIV and Heineken Cup Rugby altogether. In other words, they are in deep, deep trouble.

Yachtzee
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
FSC should pounce on the Bundesliga once it is available. I agree, Setanta is on the way out. If they lose the rest of their EPL contract they are toast. They've already lost the AFL which was huge draw for Australian ex-pats and are on the verge of losing Super XIV and Heineken Cup Rugby altogether. In other words, they are in deep, deep trouble.

That would be nice, but I think the Bundesliga just reupped with Gol TV through 2012. With Setanta, some EPL games and the Scottish Premier League would be up for grabs.

I must say that it seems like ESPN is slowly coming around on soccer, so maybe by the time some of these contracts are up, they might be willing to put in a bid for some European games.

improbus
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
That would be nice, but I think the Bundesliga just reupped with Gol TV through 2012. With Setanta, some EPL games and the Scottish Premier League would be up for grabs.

I must say that it seems like ESPN is slowly coming around on soccer, so maybe by the time some of these contracts are up, they might be willing to put in a bid for some European games.
Simmons said on one of his podcasts that the 2010 World Cup is a "company priority". I'm hoping that they will extend that focus to MLS and other soccer entities.

Yachtzee
06-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Looks like they might not have as much money as was thought.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_spanish_government_surprised&prov=goal&type=lgns

I wonder if those banks received any funds from the AIG bailout.

reds1869
06-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Looks like they might not have as much money as was thought.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_spanish_government_surprised&prov=goal&type=lgns

I wonder if those banks received any funds from the AIG bailout.

Ruh roh Shaggy...looks like the government is growing of weary of doing what they have done secretly for years.

Yachtzee
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Anyone see this?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/espn-strikes-deal-for-la-liga-rights.html

While I think it would be great to see some matches from La Liga next season, something tells me ESPN is going to stick all these games on Deportes or ESPN360.com, which I can't get because I have Time Warner.

Yachtzee
06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Oooh, look at this one too.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/midday-musings.html#more

Too bad it doesn't appear to involve airing games in the US yet. I hope this and the news about La Liga indicates that ESPN is getting serious about soccer and will try to get more matches on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNClassic.

M2
06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Anyone see this?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/espn-strikes-deal-for-la-liga-rights.html

While I think it would be great to see some matches from La Liga next season, something tells me ESPN is going to stick all these games on Deportes or ESPN360.com, which I can't get because I have Time Warner.

According to this (http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=983892&lang=eng_news&cate_img=145.jpg&cate_rss=news_Sports), ESPN2 will broadcast 20 La Liga matches next season. So you'll definitely be getting some Spanish games on a major English cable provider near you, and honestly it's ratings gold from after the college football season is over.

Hopefully this will involve sharing the GolTV broadcast (because Ray Hudson's the single greatest color man in the universe, ever) and adding some better production quality to the feed from Spain (the EPL learned from the NFL in how to pipe the crowd noise into the broadcast and Spain needs to catch up).

Hoosier Red
06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
On the Transfer front, Oguchi Onyewu accepted a deal with a Turkish team I had never heard of. Apparantly they spend a load of money every year.

M2
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
On the Transfer front, Oguchi Onyewu accepted a deal with a Turkish team I had never heard of. Apparantly they spend a load of money every year.

He's Fenerbahce bound. That's a big club. He'll get to play next to Roberto Carlos, which has got to be a cool thing for a young player (not to mention a few other Brazilians and half the Turkish national team).

WMR
06-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I really expected some EPL club to pony up big-time for Gooch. He's perfect for the English game.

Yachtzee
06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
He's Fenerbahce bound. That's a big club. He'll get to play next to Roberto Carlos, which has got to be a cool thing for a young player (not to mention a few other Brazilians and half the Turkish national team).

Fenerbahce is one of the top 3 teams in Turkey, along with Galatasaray and Besiktas, all of which are based in Istanbul. When I lived in Austria, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray were always considered a tough draw in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup. If he's playing for Fenerbahce, he's got a good shot at playing in Champions League matches, something for which a lot of other Americans abroad haven't had the opportunity.

improbus
06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I really expected some EPL club to pony up big-time for Gooch. He's perfect for the English game.

Didn't he play for Newcastle for a year?

Yachtzee
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
According to this (http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=983892&lang=eng_news&cate_img=145.jpg&cate_rss=news_Sports), ESPN2 will broadcast 20 La Liga matches next season. So you'll definitely be getting some Spanish games on a major English cable provider near you, and honestly it's ratings gold from after the college football season is over.

Hopefully this will involve sharing the GolTV broadcast (because Ray Hudson's the single greatest color man in the universe, ever) and adding some better production quality to the feed from Spain (the EPL learned from the NFL in how to pipe the crowd noise into the broadcast and Spain needs to catch up).

That's awesome. It would be even better if they worked out a similar deal with the Bundesliga, but I doubt they will just yet.

DirectTV called tonight with an offer to switch back. As much as I would love to go back to DirectTV, they would need to hook me up with the HD-DVR package and give me the Sportspack for free (so that I can get FSC) to match what I currently have. If money were no object, I'd have DirectTV with HD-DVR and the Sportspack and get FSC, Gol TV and other channels. Of course I don't know if Setanta is worth it now that they appear to be losing the EPL and the SPL.

Nugget
06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
That's awesome. It would be even better if they worked out a similar deal with the Bundesliga, but I doubt they will just yet.

DirectTV called tonight with an offer to switch back. As much as I would love to go back to DirectTV, they would need to hook me up with the HD-DVR package and give me the Sportspack for free (so that I can get FSC) to match what I currently have. If money were no object, I'd have DirectTV with HD-DVR and the Sportspack and get FSC, Gol TV and other channels. Of course I don't know if Setanta is worth it now that they appear to be losing the EPL and the SPL.

I think the Setanta situation only relates to the domestic rights in the UK and Ireland not to the international rights. It all has to do with being able to broadcast live matches to the English.

reds1869
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I think the Setanta situation only relates to the domestic rights in the UK and Ireland not to the international rights. It all has to do with being able to broadcast live matches to the English.

True, but the UK and Ireland markets are Setanta's home turf, and the Premiership is their bread and butter. The network in its current form was built on the back of two deals: EPL and Super XIV. Now it has lost one and is in serious danger of losing the northern hemisphere rights to the other.

M2
06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Bad news for WilyMo, Kevin Doyle has transferred to Wolves, which is going to create an even steeper uphill climb for Reading to get back to the Prem.

And Greece is the word for Djibril Cisse, who has jumped from Sunderland to Panathinkaikos.

reds1869
06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Bad news for WilyMo, Kevin Doyle has transferred to Wolves, which is going to create an even steeper uphill climb for Reading to get back to the Prem.

And Greece is the word for Djibril Cisse, who has jumped from Sunderland to Panathinkaikos.

Reading will have to get through us Cider 'Eds first. :)

WMR
06-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Wow, I'm beginning to fear that we've witnessed what will be the pinnacle for Reading football for some time to come. :(

I still desperately want to see an English league cup match at the Madjeski.

M2
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Real Madrid is now adding Karim Benzema. That is some impressive gluttony.

reds1869
07-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Real Madrid is now adding Karim Benzema. That is some impressive gluttony.

They're going to need a new staff member just to handle the massive amount of ego flowing through the club.

Yachtzee
07-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, it should be interesting to see what happens when and if Beckham returns to the Galaxy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/06/29/beckham.book/index.html?bcnn=yes

M2
07-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Michael Owen has signed with Man U.

reds1869
07-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Michael Owen has signed with Man U.

Wow, Liverpool supporters must be beside themselves. NewU was one thing, the Evil Empire is quite another. In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...

Hoosier Red
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...

And it was WWIII on ESPN when it did.

M2
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Milan has signed Gooch. It would be a big deal if he were able to win a starting XI slot next to Nesta. No U.S. player has ever been a starting fixture at a megaclub.

NJReds
07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Milan has signed Gooch. It would be a big deal if he were able to win a starting XI slot next to Nesta. No U.S. player has ever been a starting fixture at a megaclub.

I was just about to post this. I thought he'd get a good deal after his performance at the Confederations Cup, but I didn't expect Milan.

Milan sign Onyewu

Link (http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul7i.html)

Tuesday 7 July, 2009

Milan have made American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu their first signing of the summer amid protests from the fans.

The 27-year-old of Nigerian origin who also just happens to have a Belgian passport, has left Standard Liege and put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

Onyewu came to Milan's attention at the Confederations Cup where the USA reached the Final only to be beaten by Brazil.

He has also played for Newcastle and Metz.

The signing might placate Milan's fans, who gathered at the club's training ground yesterday to protest against the Rossoneri's lack of activity in the transfer market.

WMR
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Holy crap, I'm ecstatic for Gooch. If he can force his way into the regular XI what an accomplishment that would be!

Betterread
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

That is great news for US Soccer and for his career. Its a good spot for him. Milan needs depth at centerback. They just signed Brazil's Thiago Silva, and they have Nesta and Kalahdze but Nesta and Kalahdze are often hurt. He will get his chances, if he trains hard and stays healthy.

improbus
07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
That is great news for US Soccer and for his career. Its a good spot for him. Milan needs depth at centerback. They just signed Brazil's Thiago Silva, and they have Nesta and Kalahdze but Nesta and Kalahdze are often hurt. He will get his chances, if he trains hard and stays healthy.
The only thing about Onyewu that worries me is that he isn't the slickest ball-handler.

M2
07-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Good point, Maldini finished up the season playing in the middle for Milan.

Also, Italy should improve Gooch's team defense awareness and improve him in terms of being "foot perfect" (he can get turned the wrong way a bit too often on top of the ball-handling sloppiness improbus mentioned). Big, rugged and a pending skills upgrade - nice package.

Betterread
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow, Liverpool supporters must be beside themselves. NewU was one thing, the Evil Empire is quite another. In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...
I support Liverpool and I don't mind the signing. I wish Owen success and hope he regains form and fitness. I would have much less patience and much higher expectations were he to return to Anfield. Liverpool need another striker themselves.

guttle11
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
The only thing about Onyewu that worries me is that he isn't the slickest ball-handler.

You don't want a center back handling the ball anyway. Hit it once, hard and away from goal. That's his job, and he's very good at it.

reds1869
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
I support Liverpool and I don't mind the signing. I wish Owen success and hope he regains form and fitness. I would have much less patience and much higher expectations were he to return to Anfield. Liverpool need another striker themselves.

I do suppose he is pretty far removed from his Anfield days. I know I would be upset big time if a former Bristol City player signed for The Gas. It's happened several times before and there is always an air of treason about it.

improbus
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I do suppose he is pretty far removed from his Anfield days. I know I would be upset big time if a former Bristol City player signed for The Gas. It's happened several times before and there is always an air of treason about it.
Liverpool fans don't feel too bad because Owen is almost never on the pitch and will end up holding ManU hostage with his constant injuries.

reds1869
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Liverpool fans don't feel too bad because Owen is almost never on the pitch and will end up holding ManU hostage with his constant injuries.

True enough. He is King of the Training Room, isn't he?

Hoosier Red
07-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Charlie Davies to Sochaux

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/07/report-davies-headed-to-sochaux.html

Don't know anything about them, but the French league is definately a step down from the big 4 but a huge step up from the Swedish league he was playing in.

M2
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
You don't want a center back handling the ball anyway. Hit it once, hard and away from goal. That's his job, and he's very good at it.

I can think of some guys who'd disagree with that -

http://freddysetiawan.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/franz-beckenbauer.jpg

http://costidiniasi.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/3.jpg

Top defenders control the ball and make sure their team retains possession.

Yachtzee
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
looks like the Tevez to Man City deal is going through.

NJReds
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
A blockbuster: Ibrahimovic to Barcelona and and Eto’o to Inter.

Ibra was a monster for Inter in Seria A. I expect him to put up huge numbers in Spain.

It will be interesting to see how Eto'o adjusts from the defensless Spanish league to the much more defensive minded Serie A. He and Balotelli could form a dynamic scoring attack.

M2
07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
A blockbuster: Ibrahimovic to Barcelona and and Eto’o to Inter.

Ibra was a monster for Inter in Seria A. I expect him to put up huge numbers in Spain.

It will be interesting to see how Eto'o adjusts from the defensless Spanish league to the much more defensive minded Serie A. He and Balotelli could form a dynamic scoring attack.

That move strikes me as a bit of a wash.

Lead strikers often do well in Italy because the offense, such as it is over there, is designed to go through them. Ibra's going to have Messi, Henry, Krkic, Iniesta and Alves all strafing the net when he goes to Barca. He'll score, but Eto'o is one of the top scorers in the history of La Liga. I'm not 100% sure Inter isn't getting the better player here.

Betterread
07-27-2009, 08:29 PM

Lead strikers often do well in Italy because the offense, such as it is over there, is designed to go through them. Ibra's going to have Messi, Henry, Krkic, Iniesta and Alves all strafing the net when he goes to Barca. He'll score, but Eto'o is one of the top scorers in the history of La Liga. I'm not 100% sure Inter isn't getting the better player here.

Interesting perspective. Zlatan is tremendously skilled, on a special level with only Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo. But he has not always been effective at scoring goals and his team has not claimed the top European club prize. I like Eto'o a lot and he is really pacy. He could dominate in Italy, with physical but slow defeneders all over the place. It will be cool comparing the two and seeing them compete in the Champions League.

NJReds
07-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Inter also got 50 million Euro in the deal. I'll give them the edge because of that.

Point taken that Ibra will have to share the ball a bit more. He was really the lone striker at Inter last year.

M2
07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
And Man City has now plucked Kolo Toure from Arsenal. I'd say this is the most vulnerable a Big Four club has been in quite some time.

Yachtzee
07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
And Man City has now plucked Kolo Toure from Arsenal. I'd say this is the most vulnerable a Big Four club has been in quite some time.

I hear the latest trend among English football fans is to hope and pray some Middle Eastern sheik will buy your team. It's the Moneyball of the EPL.

M2
08-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Real Madrid now has Xabi Alonso, or as he is now called Xabi Wan Kenobe:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/dfotw/Obi-WanXabimini.jpg

Liverpool's talking about adding Alberto Aquilani from Roma to replace the Jedi. Whether he'll be any help remains to be seen. I suspect Lucas Leiva is a better player. Aquilani's on-the-ball skills leave a lot to be desired.

Liverpool and Arsenal are both looking like depleted clubs from last season. Could make for an interesting season in England.

Yachtzee
08-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Real Madrid now has Xabi Alonso, or as he is now called Xabi Wan Kenobe:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/dfotw/Obi-WanXabimini.jpg

Liverpool's talking about adding Alberto Aquilani from Roma to replace the Jedi. Whether he'll be any help remains to be seen. I suspect Lucas Leiva is a better player. Aquilani's on-the-ball skills leave a lot to be desired.

Liverpool and Arsenal are both looking like depleted clubs from last season. Could make for an interesting season in England.

The EPL should be an interesting watch this year. Could be the year that some new teams start mixing it up with the Big 4. I forget who said it, but some player was talking about how La Liga is now the best and the EPL is no longer the top place to play. But then Fernando Torres responded that the EPL is still the best. Aside from Real and Barca, who has really made any moves in La Liga? Is La Liga turning into something like the Yankees and Red Sox playing in a league with a bunch of AAA teams?

M2
08-05-2009, 10:06 PM
The EPL should be an interesting watch this year. Could be the year that some new teams start mixing it up with the Big 4. I forget who said it, but some player was talking about how La Liga is now the best and the EPL is no longer the top place to play. But then Fernando Torres responded that the EPL is still the best. Aside from Real and Barca, who has really made any moves in La Liga? Is La Liga turning into something like the Yankees and Red Sox playing in a league with a bunch of AAA teams?

Other La Liga teams have made moves, but they can't keep pace with the big two. Atletico has improved its depth, getting Jose Jurado and Jose Reyes back from loans and signing Spanish international defender Juanito. They've also got an Argentian kid named German Pacheco who's supposed to be quite good. Villareal has added a Brazilian (Nilmar) and a Paraguayan (Hernan Perez) in addition to Spanish defender Ivan Marcano (who is one heck of a player). Valencia added a top keeper (Miguel Moya from Mallorca) and a quality left back (Jeremy Mathieu from Toulouse). It's also got a pile of talented young midfielders coming along. Sevilla added Didier Zokora from Tottenham for some midfield steel and it also has a pile of young players, mostly from Argentina, about ready to shake the world by the collar.

There's star power on those teams already - Kun Aguero, Diego Forlan, Giuseppe Rossi, Marcos Senna, David Villa, David Silva, Freddy Kanoute, Luis Fabiano, etc. It makes for a strong second tier behind the two mega teams. Sevilla and Atletico are pretty good bets to be in the UCL final 16. Villareal and Valencia are two of the favorites to win the Europa Cup. And the league is deep beyond that. The middle 10 teams in La Liga are probably the best of any league in the world (Germany and the Prem being the other two main contenders).

The Betis team that got relegated last year, the Zaragoza team that got relegated the year before and the Real Sociedad team that got relegated in 2007 were good enough to be mid-table anywhere else in the world. It's a tough and deep league.

NJReds
08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday. I think the EPL is a good place for Altidore, but I don't follow it as closely as Serie A. Any idea if he'll get playing time with Hull? I would think that he'll see the field quite a bit.

US striker Altidore says he is joining Hull

LONDON (AP)—Jozy Altidore says he has joined Premier League club Hull subject to a work permit being granted.

The 19-year-old U.S. striker announced on Twitter that he will be introduced at a news conference Thursday.

He wrote Wednesday: “First match is against Chelsea subject to a work permit … thanks for the support and love keep it coming.”

Altidore joined Villarreal from the New York Red Bulls in June 2008. After making only two starts and four substitute appearances during the first half of the season, he was loaned to Xerez in the second division on Jan. 30.

M2
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Any idea if he'll get playing time with Hull? I would think that he'll see the field quite a bit.

The other strikers on the team are Craig Fagan, Caleb Folan, Daniel Cousin and Nicky Featherstone. Altidore ought to be the main man in that group.

That said, he should have a lot of the field at Xerez and Benny Feilhaber should have been starting for Derby County while he was there. American players sometimes find the bench for reason that surpass understanding.

NJReds
08-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Huntelaar to Milan. He'll pair with Pato w. Ronaldhino lining up behind the two strikers. Big shoes to fill as he takes over for the departing Kaka.

Rumors swirling that Pirlo will go to Chelsea. I wouldn't let him go if I was running the team.

It is now official – Klaas Jan Huntelaar will sign a four-year contract with Milan and undergo his medical tomorrow.

“AC Milan announce they have reached an agreement with Real Madrid for the purchase of Klaas Jan Huntelaar,” read a statement on the club website.

“The Dutch player will undergo a medical tomorrow, after which he will sign a contract tying him to the Rossoneri until June 30, 2013.”

Vice-President Adriano Galliani had already stated this morning that a deal was done with the Merengues, but now the news is official.

Although no figures have been confirmed, it is believed Milan will pay around £13m for the striker.

It is still almost £8m less than Real Madrid paid to take him from Ajax only seven months ago.