PDA

View Full Version : RISP against the Cubs

will5979
06-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Man was that embarrasing. Cincy didn't want to win that game plain and simple, TONS of opportunities and they let them go.

ONe simple quesiton...
Whatever happened to the notion of "taking one for the team?" After all of the missed opportunities why didn't Dusty send up an expendable PHer (even a pitcher would do) and say "first inside pitch step into it and end this."

JoeyGears76
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Man was that embarrasing. Cincy didn't want to win that game plain and simple, TONS of opportunities and they let them go.

I'm certain everyone in the clubhouse was saying... "I don't want to win today. Let's not win, but let's draw this game out as long as we can." :rolleyes:

ONe simple quesiton...
Whatever happened to the notion of "taking one for the team?" After all of the missed opportunities why didn't Dusty send up an expendable PHer (even a pitcher would do) and say "first inside pitch step into it and end
this."

The batter must make an attempt to avoid getting hit by the pitch. The batter can't simply step into a pitch. Read Rule 6.08(b) below.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules//06_the_batter.pdf

Shawn_RedsFan
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
^^ will just got :owned:

texasdave
06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
How many times has anyone seen that rule actually invoked? I live in Houston and have seen countless times Craig Biggio be awarded first base while he made no attempt whatsoever to get out of the way of a pitch. (In fact he was pretty slick about turning his body slightly and actually leaning into a pitch). Sometimes there is a distinct disconnect between what is written in the rule book and what is called out on the field of play.

PhillipsHead
06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Dusty should be crackin skulls in the locker room about this after that series.

That was a total embarrassment...he should be lighting fires under their asses...

JoeyGears76
06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Sometimes there is a distinct disconnect between what is written in the rule book and what is called out on the field of play.

This is true. However, I'm fairly certain the batter would not be awarded first base if he took a step towards the pitch as Will would instruct the players to do if he was managing the team. I don't think a good manager would tell his players to risk their lives for the sole purpose of winning one game. If the team can't push a run across without stepping in front of a pitch, then they really don't deserve to win.

Regarding Biggio, rotating your body could be viewed from the umps vantage point as an attempt to get out of the way. I think they give a lot of leeway in how this rule is interpreted. Basically, any movement of the batter not towards the plate is considered an attempt to avoid the pitch.

will5979
06-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Dusty should be crackin skulls in the locker room about this after that series.

That was a total embarrassment...he should be lighting fires under their asses...

I like the way you think! If I were Dusty I would have been all over Nix and Berry in the dugout for not trying to score on that Rosales flyball I think it was in the 11th?

Take your chances to win the game when you have them. All I can say about Nix and Berry is no balls (pun intended)!

Kingspoint
06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
It's really killing this team not having EE out there.

For his career w/ RISP, he's hitting (.292) (.397) (.458) (.855) with a (.325) BAbip.

We'd be in first place right now if we had EE the whole season.