PDA

View Full Version : Your predictions for the Reds first round pick

Grande Donkey
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Post your predictions please.

I see Aaron Crow slipping down to the Reds.

dougdirt
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I will go with Aaron Crow too. It looks like he will fall and I just can't see the Reds passing on him two years in a row. They really liked him last year.

Kc61
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Mike Minor.

Only caveat is if Matzek falls to them they will take Matzek.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Aaron Crow.

I hope.

aubashbrother
06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Imma also go Crow. I think if Pitt. does take Sanchez there is a good chance he falls to the Reds and like Doug said they liked him last year and if he is there this year I see no way they pass him up. I gotta question ... since Crow played in the Independent League this year if we did draft him what level would he start at and would his ETA be sooner because of pitching in the IL

Grande Donkey
06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd say Crow would go right to AA.

tripleaaaron
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
1. Crow
2. Matzek
3. Leake

GIDP
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Crow if hes there if not then I say White.

dougdirt
I'd say Crow would go right to AA.

I would bet he wouldn't pitch this year at all and would start next season in Sarasota on the 40 man roster and be on the 'Zach Stewart' plan.

Blitz Dorsey
I'll pick Crow here, but this better not be Tim Lincecum part II where I get my hopes up on draft day only to see them crushed. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I can't help it. Draft day jazzes me up.

Crow would be perfect for the Reds. We're going to have a hard time getting good FA starting pitchers to sign with us given the rep of GABP. Getting someone like Crow to pair with Cueto and Volquez for the next several years would be fantabulous.

aubashbrother
06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
what a rotation Carolina would have if we drafted Crow and he went straight to AA. I assume someone would be called up to AAA if that happened . Wood possibly

Grande Donkey
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I would bet he wouldn't pitch this year at all and would start next season in Sarasota on the 40 man roster and be on the 'Zach Stewart' plan.May I ask why you think he would be shut down all year?

dougdirt
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
May I ask why you think he would be shut down all year?

He will require a MLB deal. In order to not use an option, the Reds would be smart to sign him at the deadline and perhaps Yonder Alonso him. Because Yonder played only 2 weeks he didn't spend enough time on the active 40 man roster to constitute an option being used. If Yonder had spent another week or two playing in the minors last year, it would have used up an option year. Instead, this season was his first option year and he still has two remaining. It just would be smart business unless the Reds truly feel he can help them this season.

GIDP
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
It probably has to do with the fact that he isnt going to sign until the day of the deadline.

Grande Donkey
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM
He will require a MLB deal. In order to not use an option, the Reds would be smart to sign him at the deadline and perhaps Yonder Alonso him. Because Yonder played only 2 weeks he didn't spend enough time on the active 40 man roster to constitute an option being used. If Yonder had spent another week or two playing in the minors last year, it would have used up an option year. Instead, this season was his first option year and he still has two remaining. It just would be smart business unless the Reds truly feel he can help them this season.:thumbup:

LoganBuck
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
He will require a MLB deal. In order to not use an option, the Reds would be smart to sign him at the deadline and perhaps Yonder Alonso him. Because Yonder played only 2 weeks he didn't spend enough time on the active 40 man roster to constitute an option being used. If Yonder had spent another week or two playing in the minors last year, it would have used up an option year. Instead, this season was his first option year and he still has two remaining. It just would be smart business unless the Reds truly feel he can help them this season.

While I agree, they could also sign him to a minor league deal, with a gentlemens' agreement that they will call him up in September, if that is an issue for him. Thus he would get his vaunted 40 man spot then, and it would preserve his options.

lollipopcurve
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Alex White

Mario-Rijo
06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I am still kinda hoping for Green, but I have to come to think it probably will be a pitcher and as much as I hate to pass on a SS they probably should go pitcher. So I'd say the likeliest selection is probably Alex White, as I just don't believe Crow will drop. But I'd prefer several arms over White, but we could do worse. My only problem with White is he has a fair chance of ending up as a closer and I'd hate to take a closer here, plus he throws that splitfinger pitch and we have had this discussion recently about the elbow problems that can cause. Personally if it comes down to White, Minor and Shelby Miller I'd take Miller. I'm usually of the mind to pick college guys but I am not enthralled with either at this spot. Heck I'm starting to feel like Scheppers or Gibson might be better choices than who they take.

thorn
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Scheppers is my guess. I think his past health issues are just that, the past, and somehow the Reds will use that to sign him without a ML deal. I don't think they really want to add to the 40 man log jam if they don't have to.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm hoping for Aaron Crow.

It's fun dreaming about a possible 2011 rotation of Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Zach Stewart, Aaron Crow, and either Aaron Harang/Homer Bailey/Travis Wood/Matt Maloney.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm guessing Scheppers. Hoping Crow. Fearing Minor/Miller.

Caveat Emperor
06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't have any logical reason for it, but every fiber of my being is telling me that the Reds won't draft Aaron Crow. It's too logical, if that makes any sense.

I'm going to go with Scheppers, but I'm really not certain who they will pick, only who they won't.

klw
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I think the Reds will be scared off by my contract demands and choose Leake.

11larkin11
06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the Reds will be scared off by my contract demands and choose Leake.

I have no problem with that.

I have a feeling the Reds "stopped" their scouting of top prospects in Latin America so they could use that money to sign a Sandwich pick and/or second rounder for above slot money, so maybe someone who falls out of the first. Gibson?

RED VAN HOT
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
The order of my choices would be

1. Green
2. Crow
3. Leake
4. Brothers
5. Matzek (only because he may be more difficult to sign)
534. Minor

Can someone tell me what the Reds see in Minor that they don't see in Maloney? Is Minor an extreme ground ball pitcher? best available? really? It seems to me that you only want one of this type of pitcher in your rotation. Then again, I also thought a team needed only one left hand hitting first baseman.

JaxRed
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll say Scheppers

TheNext44
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Law has Crow and Scheppers dropping out of the first round, and I read somewhere (probably from a link here) that Crow's agent was calling around trying to get a team to draft him in the first 15.

Just speculating, but maybe most teams want to show players that if you don't sign and wait a year, that you won't do better than signing the first time your drafted? Make an example out of these two, to make it easier to sign players in the future? This draft is such a crap shoot, that it's not like teams are missing out on sure things with these guys.

travisgrimes
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
dont be surprised if crow signs alot earlier than that... i think if the Reds are lucky enough to snag him at 8 Walt will throw enough money at him right away that Crow will sign soon.... but still i'm higher on scheppers than crow because crow isn't as hard a thrower as some think he is... he sits in the 91-92 range almost all the time where as scheppers sits in the 96-98 range all the time... now velocity isn't a big thing for me UNLESS someone doesn't throw as hard as scouted... then factors such as injury, inconsistancy, mechanics, etc. start being questioned

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Scheppers would be a fine pick IMO.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Leake

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Law has Crow and Scheppers dropping out of the first round, and I read somewhere (probably from a link here) that Crow's agent was calling around trying to get a team to draft him in the first 15.

Just speculating, but maybe most teams want to show players that if you don't sign and wait a year, that you won't do better than signing the first time your drafted? Make an example out of these two, to make it easier to sign players in the future? This draft is such a crap shoot, that it's not like teams are missing out on sure things with these guys.

If true, it means he'll probably go to Boston or NYY and will flourish there. So, for that reason alone, I hope it doesn't happen.

Superdude
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
If Crow drops, I hope they jump all over that. If Crow is gone though, I think (or at least hope) it'll be Scheppers. As many others have stated, I'll literally puke on the floor if they take Minor.

Betterread
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Matzek would be first choice, then White, Crow or HSers Miller or Turner would all be OK with me.
Scheppers has shoulder issues that may affect his future plus a pitching motion that is not ideal.

cincyinco
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I would be happy with maztek, scheppers, crow, leake, or Greene.

Bout the only guy I'll be unhappy with that's been linked to us is minor.

White is someone I'm indifferent on..

Homer Bailey
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm changing my prediction to Crow.

SirFelixCat
06-09-2009, 05:04 PM
1. Crow (but I don't think he falls)
2. White
3. Leake

WVRed
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Hoping for Crow or Matzek

Hoping it is not Minor or Miller

My prediction: Alex White.

What really scares me is that this is so eerily similar to when we selected Chris Gruler over Scott Kazmir. Signability issues prevented us from getting the best available pitcher and we took somebody who short circuited in the minors.

HokieRed
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I think if it's true that Crow is in danger of dropping, we'll take him--unless Matzek is still there, then it's Matzek. These will be, IMO, BPA. Gets more difficult if both are gone; then it could be White, Minor, Leake, Miller, or, still quite possibly and reasonably, Gibson. In that group, I think making the call on BPA is a lot more difficult.

texasdave
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Just heard back from my many impeccable sources inside the Reds' organization and it is all but certain that they will take Jim Coombs, pass on all their remaining draft choices, and still have what will widely be considered the best draft since, well, the beginning of time. :beerme:

Blitz Dorsey
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds like White is the pick. Reds are going to be too cheap to take Crow (despite Buckley's comments over the weekend).

nemesis
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Scheppers is the 2nd best arm in the draft behind the $50 million dollar man. You can't pass on that IMO. If your really about BPA and your medical staff among other teams medical staffs have signed off on the kid, take the risk. It's no more of a risk than drafting Crow and his mechanics. If Scheppers is gone take White even if he is projecting as a closer. We got a gift starter last year from a guy we drafted as a closer (Stewart) make White the Closer of the future. It'll get the Reds a quicker return on their investment and free up payroll by making Cordero expendible. Win Win.

Puffy
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Braves narrow choices

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Keith Law

Atlanta is down to either UNC RHP Alex White or Vandy lefty Mike Minor at No. 7. Whoever the Braves don't take, the Reds will likely snatch up one pick later. Washington was previously on Minor for the No. 10 pick, but if he's off the board, expect the Nats to select Stanford reliever Drew Storen instead.

VR
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Strong feeling they'll pick Leake. :)

Kingspoint
06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
You know, the one thing all of us agreed on and the REDS complied, was that we would go College Pitcher.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Leake

Do I get a cookie?