PDA

View Full Version : Will Carroll says Encarnacion may have had a major setback, surgery possible

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Edwin Encarnacion (60 DXL)
There have been whispers going back a couple of weeks now, but the rumors regarding Encarnacion began morphing into reports on Sunday. Finally, I found someone with the info, and he told me that Encarnacion has had a "major setback" with his wrist. The Reds are sending him for an MRI, and fear that he may now need the surgery that he was trying to avoid in the first place. The chip fracture may have weakened the bone, and during some hitting drills Encarnacion seems to have put too much stress on it. Of course, Dusty Baker says it's just one of those things, telling John Fay that "he may have overhit, but how do you know until you overhit?" The answer is, you err on the side of caution in order to avoid this type of situation in the first place. The Reds seem a little too positive about the state of affairs, but we'll know more after the imaging. He certainly won't begin a rehab assignment this weekend, as had been planned.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9029

HotCorner
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
This explains Buster Olney's tidbit from last week that the Reds were looking for a third baseman.

I(heart)Freel
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Cue the Atkins trade talks.

Caveat Emperor
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Hopefully this isn't true -- I think Edwin could still have major value to the team as a RH power bat off the bench down the stretch. Plus, the team is on the hook to him for this year and next year for salary.

If he does need surgery, though, I'd hope to see that happen sooner rather than later to increase the possibility that he could be ready to contribute to the team down the stretch if they stay in the race.

RED VAN HOT
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Cue the Atkins trade talks.

I see he is hitting .189 with 5 HRs this year. I guess that is an upgrade over 1 HR and .127 average. If it has to be a major leaguer, so be it.

Might it be worth adding Frasier to the 40 and giving him an audition at 3rd? He seems to have figured out AA well.

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd immediately promote Frazier to AAA to play 3B and then bring him up after the break (assuming he does well). He really should've started this year in AAA anyhow.

redsmetz
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd immediately promote Frazier to AAA to play 3B and then bring him up after the break (assuming he does well). He really should've started this year in AAA anyhow.

It certainly would be easy enough to do simply by placing Edwin on the 60 day DL or Bray, who is also still on the 40 man. Likewise, if Votto continues to be incapcitated, he could ultimately be safely moved from the 40 man roster ("unable to perform" category, I think), so there's plenty of wiggle room.

Very disappointing about EE. I was anxious to get him back. I think his low BA thus far was indicative of the injury and he had been showing incredible patience at the plate. It doesn't sound as if this is career threatening, so if he needs it, get the surgery and get better. Bad break (no pun intended) for him and the team, IMO.

Chip R
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
It certainly would be easy enough to do simply by placing Edwin on the 60 day DL or Bray, who is also still on the 40 man.

Someone asked Bob Miller in his chat last week about putting Bray on thr 60 day DL and he said since he was injured while in the minor leagues, they would have to recall him then put him on the 60 day DL. If they did that he would accumulate major league service time which they don't want him to do.

traderumor
06-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe we can draft a third baseman, send him to AAA, and plug him in sometime in July--oh wait, that guy was 4 GMs ago. The years just keep on overlapping :p:

Ltlabner
06-09-2009, 02:52 PM
That stinks.

Beyond the ramifications for the Reds, it's got to be frustrating for Edwin.

Big Klu
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Surgery could end his season, and if that is the case, then Edwin Encarnacion may have played his last game as a Cincinnati Red.

Reds Fanatic
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
That is a shame. I was hoping Edwin would be back soon and could provide some spark to this lifeless offense. With Edwin having a set back and no way to really know when Votto may be back to need to do something now. If they wait until near the trade deadline I am afraid it will be too late at that point to salvage this season.

CTA513
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Just bring up that Ryan Zimmerman fellow from the Reds minor league team.

:p:

Will M
06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
That is a shame. I was hoping Edwin would be back soon and could provide some spark to this lifeless offense. With Edwin having a set back and no way to really know when Votto may be back to need to do something now. If they wait until near the trade deadline I am afraid it will be too late at that point to salvage this season.

yep.

Eric_the_Red
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
If Votto and EE are both out for an extended time, I don't see any way of this team being competitive this season. Based on the prognosis for both players, would it then be time to become sellers at the trade deadline? Time to deal Harang, Arroyo, Taveras,etc.?

Tom Servo
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Surgery could end his season, and if that is the case, then Edwin Encarnacion may have played his last game as a Cincinnati Red.
I'm pretty sure he's signed through next year, isn't he?

VR
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Hard to believe yet another mis-diagnosis/ treatment for a Reds player? :confused:

Will M
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Hard to believe yet another mis-diagnosis/ treatment for a Reds player? :confused:

not necessarilly. the ortho doc could have told EE & the Reds all along that conservative treatment could fail & surgery then be necessary

IslandRed
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
not necessarilly. the ortho doc could have told EE & the Reds all along that conservative treatment could fail & surgery then be necessary

Yeah, that was the sense the reports gave me all along -- that he was hoping to avoid surgery, which implies that rest alone might fix it or it might not. Unfortunately, it sounds like "not" won.

VR
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
If Votto and EE are both out for an extended time, I don't see any way of this team being competitive this season. Based on the prognosis for both players, would it then be time to become sellers at the trade deadline? Time to deal Harang, Arroyo, Taveras,etc.?

Javier Valentin. Paging Javier Valentin.

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I think it's fair to say at this point, that if Votto doesn't come back soon, the Reds really don't have much of a chance to compete deep into the season.

Chip R
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Javier Valentin. Paging Javier Valentin.

Stop teasing!

rotnoid
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I think it's fair to say at this point, that if Votto doesn't come back soon, the Reds really don't have much of a chance to compete deep into the season.

That seems to be more true with each passing day.

On the other hand, good luck and speedy recovery to Edwin. Hopefully they find what they need to find on the MRI and can get him in to see Doc Hollywood pretty quickly.

Sea Ray
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Why do you say that? He's signed through next season. I doubt another team will trade for him until he shows he's 100%. In my mind, if he's shelved for the rest of the season that makes it more likely he'll be a Red next year

GAC
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Exactly. One tries to take the non-surgical approach first.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
From Fay:

--An MRI on Edwin Encarnacion wrist confirmed that he had a setback. Hes not going to out on a rehab, Baker said. Hes going to take some more treatment. Hand is tough thing. He wont hit for a few days.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae02cf47f-f84e-4851-89c9-1f9bb69181bf&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=slgmAsEdEFzA59gSqKx/1x5EKoC/Cz+17npQouBJcek%3D

Big Klu
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he's signed through next year, isn't he?

Why do you say that? He's signed through next season. I doubt another team will trade for him until he shows he's 100%. In my mind, if he's shelved for the rest of the season that makes it more likely he'll be a Red next year

I think they will try to dump him for whatever they can get, especially if they find somebody--either internally or externally--to replace him. I think they have soured on Edwin, and a lot of the fan base has, as well.

redsmetz
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I think they will try to dump him for whatever they can get, especially if they find somebody--either internally or externally--to replace him. I think they have soured on Edwin, and a lot of the fan base has, as well.

I can't make that leap. It's merely conjecture. The club has put quite an investment into EE and he's not Brandon Larson. He's shown he can hit major league pitching. Lots of players go on the DL and come back after surgery. But I just can't make the assumption that the club isn't in Eddie's corner. I just don't buy it.

HokieRed
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't make that leap. It's merely conjecture. The club has put quite an investment into EE and he's not Brandon Larson. He's shown he can hit major league pitching. Lots of players go on the DL and come back after surgery. But I just can't make the assumption that the club isn't in Eddie's corner. I just don't buy it.

Defense is now considerably better than it has been, as JinAz has made clear in his excellent post. This is Walt's doing. Whatever we think of EE's offense, it's pretty clear he's one of the worst defensive third basemen in the game. Just something to think about as we try to imagine what the FO may be thinking about EE's future with the Reds.

reds44
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
When the Reds come up with a legitmate replacement for EE, I'll believe they aren't in his corner.

WVRedsFan
06-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I can't make that leap. It's merely conjecture. The club has put quite an investment into EE and he's not Brandon Larson. He's shown he can hit major league pitching. Lots of players go on the DL and come back after surgery. But I just can't make the assumption that the club isn't in Eddie's corner. I just don't buy it.I used to think that the Reds had soured on Edwin, but now I'm not so sure. That said, I think they are looking for a third baseman for this year and it's a top priority right now. I'm betting that whatever happens with the replacement, if they find one, will determine Edwin's future with the Reds.

redsmetz
06-10-2009, 05:20 AM
I used to think that the Reds had soured on Edwin, but now I'm not so sure. That said, I think they are looking for a third baseman for this year and it's a top priority right now. I'm betting that whatever happens with the replacement, if they find one, will determine Edwin's future with the Reds.

I would agree with that, and the poor defense will probably factor in, but for now, I don't see them walking away. But getting him healthy is first priority. Moving him wouldn't shock me, but I can't say for sure that they've soured on him as others have suggested. But, yes, if a productive replacement is found, EE's days with the club will, in all likelihood, be over.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I would agree with that, and the poor defense will probably factor in, but for now, I don't see them walking away. But getting him healthy is first priority. Moving him wouldn't shock me, but I can't say for sure that they've soured on him as others have suggested. But, yes, if a productive replacement is found, EE's days with the club will, in all likelihood, be over.

I like EE but nothing is forever. If the Reds can find a suitable replacement for him, bring him on. But 3B is one of the toughest spots to fill. If you can get someone who can hit some, who has some pop and can field, then you have something. Before they traded for Ramirez, the Cubs went for a long time without a regular guy there. The Mets have been historically poor in having a regular 3B before Wright. So it's not as easy getting that guy as it looks.

As for the Reds souring on him, I think that's perception in the eyes of the fans who don't feel EE is up to their standards. I'm not sure why the Reds would sign him to a 2 year deal then believe he's a failure because he hit poorly for 3 weeks mainly due to a bad wrist - something that is kind of important when you are trying to hit. 5 weeks ago, Rosales was the answer. Now, even some of the folks who wanted to dump EE for a bag of used balls are pining for his return. It's not a knock on Rosales but he's probably not going to satisfy the people who want that 3B who has pop and can field and has a decent batting average.

durl
06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
So how could this work out? The Reds probably want more production from 3B and this setback delays getting it. Could Edwin be shopped around with his injury? Could there be a team out there willing to take a chance on him and perhaps dump some salary from their higher-priced third-baseman?

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Just a side note..... have the Reds handled one single injury properly this year?

Chip R
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Just a side note..... have the Reds handled one single injury properly this year?

Volquez.

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Volquez.

DL-ing him, bringing him back, only to have him pulled after 1 inning? I know the injuries were seperate, but that doesn't seem to me like it was handled properly.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
DL-ing him, bringing him back, only to have him pulled after 1 inning? I know the injuries were seperate, but that doesn't seem to me like it was handled properly.

The injury that landed him on the DL the first time was to his back. The second one was to his elbow. I'm no doctor but I don't think those two body parts are connected.

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I wonder if the Reds hedged their bets with Edwin. They bought out his last year of arbitration and gave him a two year deal this off season. I just wonder if they signed him to that deal with the hopes of him breaking out this season and having him cheap for another year. If he didn't break out then they weren't saddled with a bad contract and Edwin could still have a demand because some scouts and teams would still be high on him.

He plays like we had hoped, they have him cheap for two years, he becomes trade bait next season. If he walks the Reds pick up comp picks. If he doesn't play well the Reds aren't saddled with a poor long term investment.

Strikes Out Looking
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM

I have long believed that the problem is the "team doctor." I do not know him personally, nor do I know anyone who has ever used him for medical reasons. However, he seems to me to be overly optimistic which gives the Reds lots of false optimism about the extent of injuries. I could give many examples, but I think the Griffey years speak for themselves--and the team doctor's statement this spring about how Griffey was in the best shape he'd been in years and would have a breakout year in Seattle.

traderumor
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I have long believed that the problem is the "team doctor." I do not know him personally, nor do I know anyone who has ever used him for medical reasons. However, he seems to me to be overly optimistic which gives the Reds lots of false optimism about the extent of injuries. I could give many examples, but I think the Griffey years speak for themselves--and the team doctor's statement this spring about how Griffey was in the best shape he'd been in years and would have a breakout year in Seattle.Again, the "team doctor" is used by other teams. That is certainly more evidence than you have provided that he might be an asset rather than a liability.

As for handling of EE, it seems to me that they tried to let his body do the healing to see if surgery could be avoided and lessen the time on the DL, the stress test (batting practice) failed, and now it may end in surgery. This is typical (see Chase Utley for a recent example). Players/teams try to avoid surgery in season and see if the player can be productive playing with the injury and then have surgery in the offseason. If he can't, then they shut him down, have the surgery, and wait for him to come back. Does everything always have to be about incompetence, esp. when it is judged by laypeople with very, very limited knowledge of these subjects?

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 11:39 AM
The injury that landed him on the DL the first time was to his back. The second one was to his elbow. I'm no doctor but I don't think those two body parts are connected.

How do we know that his back was the only reason he went on the DL in the first place?

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The "team doctor" is a surgeon. One of the better in the country in his field. He knows what he is talking about when you mention arm, elbow, or shoulder. He is held in similar regard to James Andrews when you talk about those areas. The problem with Dr. K is that he likes the press. He is arrogant and likes the spotlight. The media goes to Dr. K because he is a Dr. and he will talk to them. If Volquez had a strained oblique the trainer would refer him to someone who specializes in that area. Dr. K would have little or nothing to say about the diagnosis.

princeton
06-10-2009, 11:47 AM

you've never hurt your back drinking beer?

what kind of Sunday ballplayer are you?

Chip R
06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
How do we know that his back was the only reason he went on the DL in the first place?

All we know is what we've been told. How do we know EE's injury isn't to his foot or Votto has a bad knee? When someone gets put on the DL because of a problem with his back, I don't assume he has an elbow problem. :rolleyes:

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 12:07 PM
All we know is what we've been told. How do we know EE's injury isn't to his foot or Votto has a bad knee? When someone gets put on the DL because of a problem with his back, I don't assume he has an elbow problem. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that I don't think it is a giant coincidence that Volquez comes back from a "back injury" and after 1 inning all of a sudden is having elbow problems. It just sounds very fishy to me.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
All I'm saying is that I don't think it is a giant coincidence that Volquez comes back from a "back injury" and after 1 inning all of a sudden is having elbow problems. It just sounds very fishy to me.

I think it's a coincidence that something bad happens to our Opening Day pitchers every year but that doesn't mean that's the reason they suck or something happens to them.

Rojo
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
If we get some offense out of left and shortstop, then we can settle for a glove-first thirdbasemen.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
The "team doctor" is a surgeon. One of the better in the country in his field. He knows what he is talking about when you mention arm, elbow, or shoulder. He is held in similar regard to James Andrews when you talk about those areas. The problem with Dr. K is that he likes the press. He is arrogant and likes the spotlight. The media goes to Dr. K because he is a Dr. and he will talk to them. If Volquez had a strained oblique the trainer would refer him to someone who specializes in that area. Dr. K would have little or nothing to say about the diagnosis.

This is the truth, but even more than that, he's always overly optimistic and rarely accurate with his predictions in terms of recovery. Whether that's intentional or not, I'm not sure. I get the sense it is intentional so the fans don't get too riled up...but the opposite usually results.

I love how when Tracey Jones would do extra innings, Dr. K came on one day and Jones was nailing him about this. Dr. K was speechless...he literally had nothing to say about it.

Strikes Out Looking
06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
This is the truth, but even more than that, he's always overly optimistic and rarely accurate with his predictions in terms of recovery. Whether that's intentional or not, I'm not sure. I get the sense it is intentional so the fans don't get too riled up...but the opposite usually results.

I love how when Tracey Jones would do extra innings, Dr. K came on one day and Jones was nailing him about this. Dr. K was speechless...he literally had nothing to say about it.

Which is exactly my point. He may be an excellent surgeon, but the team needs an opinion about when a player is going to be ready to perform that is accurate. As much as I don't like the Votto situation, I do like the fact that there is no artificial timetable.

HokieRed
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Which is exactly my point. He may be an excellent surgeon, but the team needs an opinion about when a player is going to be ready to perform that is accurate. As much as I don't like the Votto situation, I do like the fact that there is no artificial timetable.

Any chance this is asking from medicine what it just cannot give--i.e. exact predictions about how the body is going to work under very stressful conditions? The body's not a machine with a timetable. If you had somebody who claimed to be "accurate" all the time, what would the reaction be when he/she failed to be right, as is inevitable? I'd suggest what is needed is not accuracy of prediction but caution--i.e. in general don't run a guy out there until all of the odds are on the side of health. But today's market-driven sports and sports fan make that kind of restraint pretty hard to maintain.

15fan
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Macroeconomic forces are making this a great year to be a buyer and a rotten year to be a seller.

Don't sell. You'll be getting pennies on the dollar compared to what you would in other years. Instead, buy for pennies on the dollar.

HokieRed
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Before we think about trading Harang, I think one simple question is in order. Is there any way you can think of this team as contending in 2010 without Aaron Harang?

I(heart)Freel
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Before we think about trading Harang, I think one simple question is in order. Is there any way you can think of this team as contending in 2010 without Aaron Harang?

This discussion is slightly off-topic, but no... the Reds need Harang in 2010. It's great that Maloney is getting some starts this year and Bailey is getting closer to MLB-ready, but even with them, ALL teams need at least 7 starters to get through a successful season. Little nagging injuries will cost starts here and there. You want to be able to plug in decent replacements at that time.

I think that's one of the bigger keys to success over the course of 162 games.

Jpup
06-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Maybe this needs another thread, but why do we believe the Reds will be better "next year"?

traderumor
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
One thing that amazes me is that Will Carroll's opinion nearly always starts folks questioning Kremchick's competence. We've been down this road so many times, yet Kremchick just keeps getting players sent to him from all across professional sports. Add to that Carroll doing the expose on Kremchick's operation a few years back, and you just have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Sometimes there's smoke, sometimes its a chance for Carroll to take a potshot, you decipher which one.

Hoosier Red
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm curious. There's a rash of "misdiagnoses" which are pinned on Kremcheck. But I'm curious, when has he mis-diagnosed someone?

That is when did he diagnose an injury, present a treatment option, and that all turned out to be wrong?

He's been blamed for Griffey's injuries, and perhaps being too optimistic, but he wasn't the one keeping Griffey off the DL and day to day, that's the GM's job.

bucksfan2
06-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Dr K is an orthepedic surgeon. IMO he is very accurate when talking about his area of expertise. If you need arm surgery two of the surgeons you go to are Dr James Andrews and Kremcheck. A slight problem is that Kremcheck is associated with the Reds while Andrews is not associated with any team in particular.

Its like this, Edinson has a strained oblique. No one from the Reds is talking so the media goes to the Dr. who likes to talk. Kremcheck gives his opinion, based upon an area way outside of his expertise and people take that as fact because it comes from a Dr.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Dr K is an orthepedic surgeon. IMO he is very accurate when talking about his area of expertise. If you need arm surgery two of the surgeons you go to are Dr James Andrews and Kremcheck. A slight problem is that Kremcheck is associated with the Reds while Andrews is not associated with any team in particular.

Its like this, Edinson has a strained oblique. No one from the Reds is talking so the media goes to the Dr. who likes to talk. Kremcheck gives his opinion, based upon an area way outside of his expertise and people take that as fact because it comes from a Dr.

I was never undermining Dr. K's abilities. I know he's a GREAT surgeon...1 of the best out there. BUT, he's awful with the media. His predictions about timetables are nearly always "best case scenario" and rarely (if ever) end up being accurate.

GAC
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I was never undermining Dr. K's abilities. I know he's a GREAT surgeon...1 of the best out there. BUT, he's awful with the media.

I'd Rather how a surgeon who was awful with the media and a great surgeon, then one who was great with the media and a bad surgeon. ;)

His predictions about timetables are nearly always "best case scenario" and rarely (if ever) end up being accurate.

That is not necessarily his fault. Every patient is different, and depending on the type of surgery, severity of the injury, and especially physical therapy (rehab) time, a "best guess" is all anyone can give. Physical Therapy is a tricky situation, once it is started. It's really pretty much up to the physical therapist, not the surgeon, to track one's progress as they TRY to keep to a time table. And patients can have setbacks in that progress.

So I'd cut Dr K some slack in that area. Especially since we are dealing with professional athletes.

REDREAD
06-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Looks like they pushed another guy too hard.

Sure, Maybe Doc told them that this aggressive approach had a small chance of succeeding, and the Reds decided to go for broke.

But the one constant seems to be Doc Hollywood. It seems hard to believe that all 4 of the last GMs have all been overly aggressive with pushing injured players.

REDREAD
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I like EE but nothing is forever. If the Reds can find a suitable replacement for him, bring him on..

I agree with your post. If Walt had soured on EdE, he wouldn't have given him a 2 year deal.

As you said, a complete 3b that hits and fields well is hard to find, and expensive to acquire. I think the Reds feel that EdE is adequate and resources are better spent filling other holes, at least through 2010. In 2011, EdE might be too pricey to keep around.

REDREAD
06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
The "team doctor" is a surgeon. One of the better in the country in his field. .

I'm sure Doc Hollywood is one of the better sports medicine surgeons. Probably a great guy to have operate on you.

Is he the best doctor at diagnosising injuries in the early stages and preventing them from getting worse? I don't think so. In fact, I think giving him so much influence is a conflict of interest. From Doc's point of view, maybe he wants EdE and all these other guys to be pushed hard. If they make their injury worse, Doc gets income from the surgury.

The Reds seem to have a disproportional amount of players that get a brief risk when hurt and then reinjure themselves quickly.

Doc clearing Jr to pinch hit when he shouldn't have been was terrible. Also, remember when Doc said that Kearns had a blister on his hand, but then it ended up requiring surgury? Remember how Maj was just diagnosised as being tired, and then was sent to throw in AAA 15 days later (what was the point in that? Why not shut him down for the year?) Doc doesn't have a good track record with these kind of things.