PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Notes Per Fay:

cbowen2112
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

Adam Dunn took the higher ground. Informed of Brandon Phillips’ statement about Laynce Nix: “It’s nice to have a left fielder who can hit and catch the ball,” Dunn smiled.

“That nice,” he said.

After a round of batting practice, Dunn added this: “He does that sometimes. He goes off. It’s harmless. Brandon needs to me let me go. I’m not over there anymore.”

Other pregame notes:

--Joey Votto worked out yesterday and again today.

Votto, who is eligible to come off the DL Sunday, could begin a rehab assignment at any time. “He could,” Dusty Baker said. “But I don’t want to put a timetable on it. He’s getting better. He’s working on coming back.”

--An MRI on Edwin Encarnacion wrist confirmed that he had a setback. “He’s not going to out on a rehab,” Baker said. “He’s going to take some more treatment. Hand is tough thing. He won’t hit for a few days.”

--Jonny Gomes looked at the Nationals pitching lineup for the series and said: “We’ve got some action.” The Nats are left-handers tonight (Ross Detwiler) and Thursday (John Lannan). With left-handers starting, Gomes will be in the lineup.

--Willy Taveras said his right hamstring is better. “Almost 100 percent,” he said.

--The tarp is on the field and there is thunder, lightning and high winds in the area. Hopefully, it blows through before game time.

roby
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=cbowen2112;1889898]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

Other pregame notes:

Votto, who is eligible to come off the DL Sunday, could begin a rehab assignment at any time. “He could,” Dusty Baker said. “But I don’t want to put a timetable on it. He’s getting better. He’s working on coming back.”

Who is Dusty trying to sound like? Glenn Chervin??? He COULD come off the DL Sunday. I said he COULD, I didn't say he WOULD!

Captain Hook
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Great news to hear that Votto is working out and there is at least a chance he could be back when he comes off the DL.I don't know what kind of problems he is having but I know that it is good sometimes to get back to work and do what is familiar to you.This is probably especially true when playing baseball is your job.

Brandon4MVP
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Joey Votto is going to be alright. He is going to come back better than ever

REDblooded
06-09-2009, 11:22 PM
I love it that Brandon Phillips said what the majority were thinking.

Mutaman
06-10-2009, 12:02 AM
i'm confused why everyone in ORG was complaining how boring the game was. Watching Johnny C pitch is not boring.

jmac
06-10-2009, 12:32 AM
i'm confused why everyone in ORG was complaining how boring the game was. Watching Johnny C pitch is not boring.

The reds arent hitting much right now but still, I would rather win 3-2 than lose 10-8.
Yep....it is a pleasure watching Cueto mature every game. :thumbup:

LouisvilleCARDS
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Wonder how Dunn likes it over there so far. Gotta be easy sitting back in a franchise that has no expectations whatsoever to win with his buddy Austin and collecting the paycheck while the Nats sit back as the worst team in baseball.

gilpdawg
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
You mean Votto's career isn't over? He doesn't have the bubonic plague? Could have fooled me by reading most of the posts here. I told everybody not to freak out.

gilpdawg
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I'd so love to have Dunn on this team right now. Maybe we could score a few runs.

bounty37h
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

Adam Dunn took the higher ground. Informed of Brandon Phillips’ statement about Laynce Nix: “It’s nice to have a left fielder who can hit and catch the ball,” Dunn smiled.

“That nice,” he said.

After a round of batting practice, Dunn added this: “He does that sometimes. He goes off. It’s harmless. Brandon needs to me let me go. I’m not over there anymore.”

Other pregame notes:

--An MRI on Edwin Encarnacion wrist confirmed that he had a setback. “He’s not going to out on a rehab,” Baker said. “He’s going to take some more treatment. Hand is tough thing. He won’t hit for a few days.”

--Jonny Gomes looked at the Nationals pitching lineup for the series and said: “We’ve got some action.” The Nats are left-handers tonight (Ross Detwiler) and Thursday (John Lannan). With left-handers starting, Gomes will be in the lineup.

--Willy Taveras said his right hamstring is better. “Almost 100 percent,” he said.

--The tarp is on the field and there is thunder, lightning and high winds in the area. Hopefully, it blows through before game time.

I think with even bringing it up and asking Dunn, Fay is confessing he is the one taking the low, cheap shot road, weak IMO.

texasdave
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
That's not journalism, that's junior high (maybe even in middle school).

Ghosts of 1990
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree that I thought it was shady and classless of Fay to bring it up to stir up you know what. That bothered me more then anything else about reading this. Just let it go. Dunn is a class act as he was here. Laynce Nix will never be half the player he is (sorry)

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I think with even bringing it up and asking Dunn, Fay is confessing he is the one taking the low, cheap shot road, weak IMO.

What the heck is journalism these days if a journalist doesn't ask Dunn about what Brandon said? Fay is doing his job and gets criticized for doing his job. Yet, Dunn misplays ball after ball, can't hit with RISP, and misses 3rd base and we have many Reds fans who never want to question whether Adam is doing his?

bounty37h
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
^No, that is called fishing for stories and trying to bait someone into an answer on a dead topic that the rest of the world has moved on from. I dont think it was even originally a shot against Dunn anyway. I dont care about soap opera high school BS, which is what this is, i want a sports journalist to focus on sports and the games, not he said/she said, if I want that, I wil buy your journalistic enquirer. I ahve no clue what you are saying or asking in the last sentence/question, Adam doesnt plkay on teh Reds, I dont care what he does or doesnt do, but what are you asking for?

GIDP
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Sounds like someone wants to get on the bad side of a reds player.

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
^No, that is called fishing for stories and trying to bait someone into an answer on a dead topic that the rest of the world has moved on from. I dont think it was even originally a shot against Dunn anyway. I dont care about soap opera high school BS, which is what this is, i want a sports journalist to focus on sports and the games, not he said/she said, if I want that, I wil buy your journalistic enquirer. I ahve no clue what you are saying or asking in the last sentence/question, Adam doesnt plkay on teh Reds, I dont care what he does or doesnt do, but what are you asking for?

I don't see anything wrong what Fay wrote and obviously you do.

Fay asked Adam about a statement Brandon stated about Adam. What in wide world of sports is wrong with that? I'd be disappointed if he didn't ask him about it.

GIDP
06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I must have missed where Brandon said Adam Dunns name.

bounty37h
06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Yes, I see it as wrong, esp after having to get a dig in trying to start trouble saying Dunn "took the high road" with it, seems obvious to me. I dont think BPhil said or did anything wrong, or better yet, that wasnt true if he was referring specifically to Dunn, but think Fay just trying to start juvenile trouble, being an instigator. I dont know, I just like my sports writers and columns to be about sports, if I wanted the rest, like I said, I would pick up my wifes copy of the enquirer. Did BPhil ever say he was even referring to Dunn? How were you hoping Dunn would respond then since you were wanting this brought back up? How could anyone/anything good or positive come out of this? Reminds me of a kid I went to high school with, always trying to start junk between others.

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, I see it as wrong, esp after having to get a dig in trying to start trouble saying Dunn "took the high road" with it, seems obvious to me. I dont think BPhil said or did anything wrong, or better yet, that wasnt true if he was referring specifically to Dunn, but think Fay just trying to start juvenile trouble, being an instigator. I dont know, I just like my sports writers and columns to be about sports, if I wanted the rest, like I said, I would pick up my wifes copy of the enquirer. Did BPhil ever say he was even referring to Dunn? How were you hoping Dunn would respond then since you were wanting this brought back up? How could anyone/anything good or positive come out of this? Reminds me of a kid I went to high school with, always trying to start junk between others.

So I'm guessing he was referring to when Dmitri Young was playing LF.

GIDP
06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I think he was just making a statement about Lance Nix. Instead writers tried to make it a story and went running to Dunn to try to get a story again, both times they failed, because there was no story.

Not everything is about Adam Dunn.

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I think he was just making a statement about Lance Nix. Instead writers tried to make it a story and went running to Dunn to try to get a story again, both times they failed, because there was no story.

Not everything is about Adam Dunn.

Really? Not everything is about Dunn?

Obviously, I thought it was obvious it was about Dunn when I first read it. I think he praised Nix and took a dig at Dunn at the same time. Not that hard to do. Hell, even Adam seemed to think it was about him.

Blah, this is stupid. You say tomato, I say, let's go eat some chicken.

GIDP
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Really? Not everything is about Dunn?

Obviously, I thought it was obvious it was about Dunn when I first read it. I think he praised Nix and took a dig at Dunn at the same time. Not that hard to do. Hell, even Adam seemed to think it was about him.

Fay went running to Dunn to try to get a reaction. From my understanding the 1st time he heard about it was from Fay, so its pretty likely fay lead him to believe it was about him. I suspect Fay said something along the lines of "Hey did you hear what Brandon said about you?" then quoted it.

No where did Brandon name Dunn. He said a left fielder. That's pretty broad of a statement. And what brandon said is 100% true about every position on the field. If Dunn thinks it was about him then its obvious Dunn thinks he cant field the position either.

bounty37h
06-10-2009, 04:53 PM
So I'm guessing he was referring to when Dmitri Young was playing LF.

Could been referring to earlier this season when Dickerson was playing more left field and got off to a bad start defensively, had a few misplayed balls hte first few weeks, and is saying the team is getting things together better now, moving foward and all that good stuff. If it was Dunn, it wasnt a reach either, and could have/should have bene left at that, no reason to try and starta fight between others. Wonder if he is goign to go back to Phillips now and say "did you hear what Dunn said in response to you, how you do that??"

GIDP
06-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Wonder if he is goign to go back to Phillips now and say "did you hear what Dunn said in response to you, how you do that??"

Thats exactly what would have happened. It was Fay trying to take a quote that really didnt mean anything and make it into something. Writers do things like this all the time. It's their job.

Newport Red
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM

I agree completely. Reds pitching has been a white knuckle ride for so long, it will take time for fans to get used to consistent good pitching.

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Fay went running to Dunn to try to get a reaction. From my understanding the 1st time he heard about it was from Fay, so its pretty likely fay lead him to believe it was about him. I suspect Fay said something along the lines of "Hey did you hear what Brandon said about you?" then quoted it.

No where did Brandon name Dunn. He said a left fielder. That's pretty broad of a statement. And what brandon said is 100% true about every position on the field. If Dunn thinks it was about him then its obvious Dunn thinks he cant field the position either.

*SIGH* I suppose we'll agree to disagree. I don't think John Fay was trying to start anything and Brandon Phillips knew exactly what he was saying and you think the opposite. There's no point in continuing this topic.