PDA

View Full Version : Reds Select...

mroby85
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Mike Leake RHP from Arizona State

schmidty622
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
With Matzek on the board I think this was a bad pick. Have a chance to get a lefty who throws in the upper 90s and you pass. Can't say I'm a fan.

PhillipsHead
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
6' 180?

Wow...talk about a small pitcher...

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
thought LHP was what they said they wanted...and they passed on Matzek? ehhh..not impressed

mroby85
06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I wasn't impressed with the things they said about him. They said he has a few average to above average pitches. They did say Seattle even considered him at the 2nd pick, but I thought they made him sound pretty ordinary.

JoeyGears76
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
6' 180?

Wow...talk about a small pitcher...

It's not the size. It's how you use it. Ask DRH.

fewfirstchoice
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
They say they dont draft to sign ability but this pick shows they do. Leake probably doesnt o int he first round of the Reds dont take him there. They pick a 2nd round guy to pay 1st round money to. I just dont get this pick. Matzek, Crow, are just 2 name that should have been selected before Leake. But I guess we have to get used to this being a reds fan. Afraid of agents so lets not take the best talent out there.

PhillipsHead
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
It's not the size. It's how you use it. Ask DRH.

How many dominating pitchers do you know that are THAT small?

Roy Oswalt is the only one I have off the top of my head...

mroby85
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Roy Oswalt also has way more than an average fastball.

steig
06-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Pedro Martinez says hello :wave:

xavr1
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I agree most SPs are bigger than that, but there's several in his range throwing well year in and year out. I was bored, so went through and found a couple:

Greinke = 6'2 185
Lincecum = 5'11 170
Ted Lilly 6'1 190
Peavy = 6'1 193
Oswalt = 6'0 185
Scott Kazmir = 6'0 190
Daisuke = 6'0 185

You also have to figure he will bulk up at least 10 pounds.

gedred69
06-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Pedro? Glavine? Maddox?

I'm a bit surprised though. Seems like they drafted a #3 - #5 starter. Okay if he becomes at least that, but really was hoping for more like a #2.......

cbowen2112
06-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Oswalt, Lincecum, Martinez, Cueto, Browning, Soto, just to name a few.

PhillipsHead
06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Well usually, with a #1 pick, you're shooting for an ace.

At least, that's what you'd think...

reds1869
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Have any of you actually even seen the kid pitch? I have several times, and I was pleasantly surprised by this pick. Yes, he is a middle of the rotation starter but he is almost guaranteed to contribute to the big club, and to do so in a hurry. He does not miss his spots, period. The guy has better control than almost any college pitcher I've seen this year.

gedred69
06-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Well usually, with a #1 pick, you're shooting for an ace.

At least, that's what you'd think...

Understood. But, outside of Strasburg who else in this draft is looked upon as a bona fide Ace prospect? I truthfully don't know, I'm asking for input. Leake's #'s are impressive for whatever that might mean. One thing I heard that I liked,----I think it was Harold Reynolds,------This guy throws strikes. (Hopefully low and outside/inside).:D:D

Captain Hook
06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
They say they dont draft to sign ability but this pick shows they do. Leake probably doesnt o int he first round of the Reds dont take him there. They pick a 2nd round guy to pay 1st round money to. I just dont get this pick. Matzek, Crow, are just 2 name that should have been selected before Leake. But I guess we have to get used to this being a reds fan. Afraid of agents so lets not take the best talent out there.

I'm not saying that your wrong but I was listening to the pregame tonight and Tom Brennaman and the Cowboy really liked the pick.He is the best pitcher on a team competing for the National Championship(ASU) this week.Seatle had the #2 pick and said that they would have selected Leake with their selection if they had not decided to pick a position player.Sounds good to me.

BluegrassRedleg
06-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I love watching people react to drafts. Usually the NFL is the most comical: "With the 2nd pick in the draft, the New York Giants select, Lawrence Taylor, linebacker, North Carolina." "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHAT THE HELL!!!! WE NEED A QUARTERBACK!!! OH MY GOD, THIS FRANCHISE IS RUN BY IDIOTS!!!!"

But this thread proves the MLB draft can be just as entertaining. :D

BluegrassRedleg
06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Understood. But, outside of Strasburg who else in this draft is looked upon as a bona fide Ace prospect? I truthfully don't know, I'm asking for input. Leake's #'s are impressive for whatever that might mean. One thing I heard that I liked,----I think it was Harold Reynolds,------This guy throws strikes. (Hopefully low and outside/inside).:D:D

Correct. Strasburg is a "sexy pick," like a heavyweight boxer. People love knockouts (Ks). Most of the other top pitchers in this draft are like lightweights who use great technique to win.

Twenty-some years ago, who would have thought Greg Maddux was a sexy pick?

UPRedsFan
06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
So the choice was essentially another flame throwing high school pitcher (AKA Homer Bailey) or Leake.

I'll take the college guy who's closer to the bigs who we won't have to wonder about whether he can throw strikes.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Who knows how this move will turn out? Sheesh, anyone saying its a dumb move is a dumb person. No one knows how ANY in the draft will pan out.

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Who knows how this move will turn out? Sheesh, anyone saying its a dumb move is a dumb person. No one knows how ANY in the draft will pan out.

i agree. though i think most would agree the mlb draft is pretty flawed...all the money for top picks, how teams are forced to pass on guys simply because they cant afford them. something needs done about that

LouisvilleCARDS
06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
i agree. though i think most would agree the mlb draft is pretty flawed...all the money for top picks, how teams are forced to pass on guys simply because they cant afford them. something needs done about that

MLB is the most messed up sport draftwise that there is. You have players that are literally 3 professional levels away from being pros getting huge contracts. This would be like NFL teams having to try to draft players out of high school. There's really no way to solve this, unless somehow some leagues became independent and signed college kids to two year contracts, and let the pro teams draft the players are a year or two was up to get a better gauge.

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
MLB is the most messed up sport draftwise that there is. You have players that are literally 3 professional levels away from being pros getting huge contracts. This would be like NFL teams having to try to draft players out of high school. There's really no way to solve this, unless somehow some leagues became independent and signed college kids to two year contracts, and let the pro teams draft the players are a year or two was up to get a better gauge.

rookie salary cap is the simple answer, it would at least make the money respectable. i think the NFL is gonna head towards that with their uncapped year coming up, players union and NFL will make some deal is my guess. it will be even tougher for the MLB to make it happen, but it can. i doubt it happens while selig is around, he doesnt have the marbles to do it

Griffey012
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Johnny is our ace of the future, lets fill the rotation with solid 2's and 3's who are consistent instead of waiting for 3 or 4 years for a guy to maybe fill his potential. With Bailey we may be waiting 5 or 6 years.

Count me on board for a thumbs up to this pick.

Va Red Fan
06-10-2009, 12:17 AM
He is 16-1 and a college junior. If you draft a kid out of HS it will take much more time for the pick to blossom. This kid has great stuff. From what I have read he is along the same idea as a Maddox - throws four pitches for strikes and can hit his spot every time. He is not second round talent. They are not underdrafting to save money. Leake could be special. Who cares where he throws in the rotation? If he is good enough to make the rotation, in the next two years, then this is a great pick.
Show some forethought before bashing what could turn out to be a great pick.

JoeyGears76
06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't care if the Reds draft pick is 3 feet tall and weighs 60 pounds. If he can dominate on the mound, I don't care what his physical stats are.

Strasburg - 13-1 in 15 starts, 1.32 ERA
Leake - 16-1 in 17 starts, 1.36 ERA

Enough said.

Slyder
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
What about the rest of the draft? Im not one that closely follows college or even high school baseball just because there so many teams.

43 Boxberger, Bradley U Southern California RHP R/R 6'02" 200 1988-05-27 JR
57 Hamilton, Billy Taylorsville HS (MS) SS R/R 6'01" 160 1990-09-09 HS
88 Joseph, Don U Houston LHP L/L 6'03" 190 1987-11-01 JR

texasdave
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike Leake:

SCOUTING PROFILE (3/1): Leake is one of the most uniquely talented and versatile players in the college ranks. While he's capable of playing almost every position on the field at a high level, his greatest value as a college player has been on the mound. He has worked 248 innings in his first two seasons at Arizona State-primarily by pounding the strike zone with a heavy, dominating 89-92 mph sinker, a hard slider and an outstanding changeup. His fastball can occasionally reach 94 mph when his arm is fresh and he's not burdened by his heavy workload. He can throw any pitch for strikes in any count, and has the best command on the ASU staff. Leake's competitive juices are also among the best in the college game. As Arizona State's primary Friday starter in 2008, he went 11-3, 3.49 with 101 strikeouts in 121 innings-topping the Sun Devils in all three triple-crown categories. He also saw time at shortstop and in the outfield when not pitching, and hit a solid .340-2-11. His versatility came in handy as a member of Team USA's college national team during the summer as he saw plenty of action both ways, hitting .236-1-8 in 55 at-bats while going 3-0, 0.64 with 24 strikeouts in 28 innings. He was also shuttled seamlessly between a starting and relief role, showing his versatility knows no limits on the mound, either, though it was apparent by the end of the summer that Leake was gassed from his multiple-use exploits. In particular, his fastball velocity dropped from spring to summer. Leake's upside for the purposes of professional baseball is on the mound, and he should have little trouble transitioning to the next level as he has no discernible weaknesses-outside of possibly his size and durability.-ALLAN SIMPSON
UPDATE (5/15): Good as Leake was as a pitcher in his first two years at Arizona State, he's been vastly better this season. In fact, there's been little to distinguish Leake from San Diego State wunderkind Stephen Strasburg from a performance standpoint-with the notable difference being the massive and historically-significant strikeout total that Strasburg assembled. Through his first 16 appearances, Leake was 15-1, 1.23 with 20 walks, 143 strikeouts and a .169 opponent batting average in 125 innings. Strasburg's final totals for the year: 13-1, 1.32 with 19 walks, 195 K's and a .172 OBA in 109 innings. Make no mistake, the 6-foot Leake is not in a league with the 6-foot-5 Strasburg in the eyes of scouts, but he still earns high praise for his ability to throw four pitches for strikes, feel for pitching and competitive spark-in other words, his flat-out ability to pitch. His fastball will never reach triple-digits as Strasburg's has consistently, but Leake gets excellent sinking action on his pitch at 89-92 mph, can reach 94 when he needs it and neutralizes lefthanded hitters with the cutting action he can create. His 76-81 mph curve that has depth and late snap is also an out-pitch, and his change routinely gets hitters off balance, resulting in a lot of weak swings. Though Leake has created little of the national intrigue in his career that Strasburg did this season, he is every bit as far along in his development and could even challenge his former Team USA teammate to be the first pitcher in the Class of 2009 to reach the big leagues.-AS

Pony Boy
06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
To me it is stupid to say that Leake doesnt have a high ceiling. His ceiling is Tim Hudson or Roy Oswalt (or dare I say it Greg Maddox). That is pretty damn high. And he is a hell of alot closer to that ceiling then the unpolished fireballers that went in the top-15 to their respective ceilings.

GOYA
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
When I heard his size I immediately thought Mario Soto. I don't have any problem with that.