PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hamilton

11larkin11
06-10-2009, 02:38 AM
I believe we had a thread for each of the top few picks last year. Here's some stuff on Hamilton.

http://www.fox40now.com/sports/46966362.html

"Hamilton is a freakish athlete with the same type of tools that makes Tampa Bayís Carl Crawford an all-star, plus the ability to play center field if shortstop doesnít work out. There is some risk with Hamilton as he hasnít played baseball at the same high level as most top prospects, and he comes from a rough background (like Crawford) that will take some maturity to overcome. Crawford, by the way, was just the 52nd overall selection in the 1999 draft. A bonus of picking Hamilton in this spot is the ability to spread his bonus money out over a five-year, multi-sport contract due to his football scholarship to Mississippi State."

"Hamilton is an exceptional talent with sub 6.5 speed in the 60-yard dash and the ability to use it on the base paths. In addition to a good glove, a strong arm and solid switch hitting ability, he has a good feel for the game. Signed to play football at Mississippi."

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2009, 02:50 AM
I really like the Hamilton pick. Great athlete, has the tools to be a good defensive SS, nice potential in the bat, though he's still raw. Baseball Prospectus rated him as the 40th best player in the draft.

dougdirt
06-10-2009, 02:52 AM
I like the Hamilton pick. The Reds have a ton of polished, higher floor and lower ceiling types... I am glad to see a low floor and very high ceiling pick. Every now and again you need to take supreme athletes like that.

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2009, 03:08 AM
I like Hamilton also but would have preferred others at the position, of course some of those guys are still on the board.

From BA (Ranked 98th)

Negatives:
Raw
Never has played baseball full time
Weak competition
Checked in at 150 pounds at some point within the past several months
Lacks present strength in his "wispy" frame

Plusses:
True 70 speed
Sound RH swing (Is learning to hit LH to take advantage of his speed)
Great arm strength (can throw 94 mph on the mound)
Should play in the middle of the diamond if not SS then CF
Signable

GOYA
06-10-2009, 03:35 AM
It doesn't have much to do with anything but I have plenty of family that went to Taylorsville HS in Mississippi, including my father. I'll really be pulling for Hamilton to make it in the bigs.

RedlegJake
06-10-2009, 09:09 AM
It doesn't have much to do with anything but I have plenty of family that went to Taylorsville HS in Mississippi, including my father. I'll really be pulling for Hamilton to make it in the bigs.

That makes it more interesting. Its fun when Redszone members have some kind of link. You can be the official Billy Hamilton watcher.

RedlegJake
06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Also sounds like they intend to let him play football and pack on some pounds.

cincy09
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Certainly a project type of guy. It will be fun to follow his development for the next 4-6 years. This is the type of high risk high reward player that small market teams (Reds) need to have pan out.

Love this guy at short stop or center field!

HokieRed
06-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd love to know the inside thinking about Hamilton's ability to play short. With the comments about his athleticism and his arm, I have to think the FO considers him somebody that can stick at that position. I like the pick; this seems to me one way to get a guy who can really become a top tier major league SS. I hope it works. He'll be a lot of fun to follow.

princeton
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Justin Reed meets Kenny Lewis meets Gookie Dawkins

Slidin' Billy joins Yor-Man, Duran Duran et al. as Reds developmental staff tries to graduate to the next level. Either this staff defends their theses, or else the Reds spent a lot on feces.

RedlegJake
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Princeton your point is well taken. The Reds drafts and scouting hasn't bugged me but their developmental staff worries me. I love high ceiling guys like Hamilton, Duran and Yorman but can the Reds develop raw potential? AND that might be another reason Mr. Buckley seems to love the safer picks - the development guys have less chance to screw them up.

princeton
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Princeton your point is well taken. The Reds drafts and scouting hasn't bugged me but their developmental staff worries me. I love high ceiling guys like Hamilton, Duran and Yorman but can the Reds develop raw potential? AND that might be another reason Mr. Buckley seems to love the safer picks - the development guys have less chance to screw them up.

in the past, I would have been screeching for the Reds to draft like they did yesterday: overdraft the most polished college pitchers, particularly relievers. that's because the Reds weren't developing ANYONE.

my impression is that things are much better now, but honestly that's due to one or two major data points (Cueto; Votto?), some hopes (Bruce and several lesser players), minor league numbers and a lot of extrapolation. my understanding is that it remains an overworked, underpaid, not-particularly-well-regarded developmental crew. some of the real goofs at the top are gone, at least.

you also want to give Walt something to trade, because the Reds have big 2010 needs that this draft wouldn't supply. I assume that we'll deal pitching; it won't be these guys but at least one of them can hopefully fill the space created by the trades.

GIDP
06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Jose Reyes

SoTxRedsFan
06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
http://cmsimg.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=D0&Date=20090609&Category=SPORTS02&ArtNo=90609039&Ref=AR&MaxW=180&Border=0

mace
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Given this kid's apparent speed, I'm surprised that nobody has hearkened back to the original Billy Hamilton, "Sliding Billy," the Hall of Famer . . . Center fielder for Philly and Boston before and at the turn of the century . . . Five different years, stole between 97 and 111 bases . . . Once scored 192 runs . . . Other than Harry Stovey of the American Association, he's the only big-leaguer in history to average over a run a game.

He even has a built-in nickname: The Next Billy Hamilton

princeton
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Slidin' Billy joins Yor-Da-Man, Duran Duran et al. as Reds developmental staff tries to graduate to the next level. Either this staff defends their theses, or else the Reds spent a lot on feces.

you mean, like that?

mace
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
you mean, like that?

Ah. Sorry. (Don't want to be stealing material here . . . )

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Charles (DC): Billy Hamilton (SS, Taylorsville) is being billed as a potential five-tool guy by the Reds. Is that at all accurate, or just self-promotion?

Kevin Goldstein: He was truly one of the best athletes in the draft. I don't think he'll ever be a monter power guy, but yes, he's VERY toolsy.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=616

Benihana
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Looks a little like Chris Henry

JaxRed
06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Hamilton says he's likely to sign

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090610/SPORTS02/906100362/1287/SPORTS

Degenerate39
06-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Looks a little like Chris Henry

Let's just hope he stays away from Chris Henry

GOYA
06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
From the few videos I've seem of Hamilton, he looks VERY raw but loaded with athletic ability. Where do you guys think he'll start? GCL?

dougdirt
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
From the few videos I've seem of Hamilton, he looks VERY raw but loaded with athletic ability. Where do you guys think he'll start? GCL?

The Reds always start their HS picks in the GCL/Extended ST. So unless he doesn't sign until the deadline, that's where he will go.

lollipopcurve
06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Yes -- there's no question about that. He and his cousin will be there. And don't be totally shocked if he's back there in 2010 (or in the Arizona Rookie League, if the Reds move the team out there, which is probable),

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
It's only five games but Billy Hamilton is off to a great start with the GCL Reds. So far he's hitting .400/.409/.450 - .859 in 20 atbats, with 1 BB/3 K and he's also 6-for-6 in the stolen base department. He's an incredible athlete with plus range and a strong arm and plenty of room to fill out without losing any speed. He's listed at 6-foot-1 and 160 pounds, so he could easily add 25-30 pounds to his frame and add some power. I have a great feeling about Hamilton.

Grande Donkey
06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
It seems like his arm may be to strong...

Blitz Dorsey
06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Really like the Hamilton pick now that he's had a few games under his belt and we have a better idea of what we got. Keith Law (who probably never saw him play) wrote him off immediately as a guy that couldn't hit. Would be great to see us look back in a few years on the Hamilton pick as a steal. I like taking the high ceiling guys in the second round.

Brutus
06-28-2009, 09:32 PM
It's only five games but Billy Hamilton is off to a great start with the GCL Reds. So far he's hitting .400/.409/.450 - .859 in 20 atbats, with 1 BB/3 K and he's also 6-for-6 in the stolen base department. He's an incredible athlete with plus range and a strong arm and plenty of room to fill out without losing any speed. He's listed at 6-foot-1 and 160 pounds, so he could easily add 25-30 pounds to his frame and add some power. I have a great feeling about Hamilton.

I had not realized he already signed. I need to pay more attention.

Good to hear, though. He oozes of 'potential' in seeing some of his videos.

Benihana
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Hamilton may be blocked now that we have Tim Beckham in the system...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Tim-Beckham.shtml

:p:

bubbachunk
06-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Hamilton may be blocked now that we have Tim Beckham in the system...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Tim-Beckham.shtml

:p:

?

Is this a joke or am I just missing something?

Benihana
06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
?

Is this a joke or am I just missing something?

For some reason, Beckham is listed as in the Cincinnati Reds organization on Baseball Cube. Sadly, methinks it's just a typo, unless they really know something...

dougdirt
06-28-2009, 11:38 PM
For some reason, Beckham is listed as in the Cincinnati Reds organization on Baseball Cube. Sadly, methinks it's just a typo, unless they really know something...

Hey, we can hope they know something, right? :thumbup:

GOYA
06-28-2009, 11:53 PM
They have mistakenly put the Bowling Green Hot Rods in the Reds organization. They are, of course, part of the Rays.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Jim Callis of Baseball America answered a question about Billy Hamilton today in his chat. He agrees that Hamilton could be a steal in the second round and thinks Hamilton will only get better now that he's focusing full-time on baseball.

bellhead
07-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Jim Callis of Baseball America answered a question about Billy Hamilton today in his chat. He agrees that Hamilton could be a steal in the second round and thinks Hamilton will only get better now that he's focusing full-time on baseball.

Love hearing that...:)

Hopefully fall instructional camp is next where he can get some work in at the SS position and some coaching.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM

They, like most of us, thought the REDS should have drafted him.

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
They, like most of us, thought the REDS should have drafted him.

Wrong Beckham.

dougdirt
07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Wrong Beckham.

True, but I bet if he was there everyone would have thought they should have drafted that Beckham too lol.

JayBruce
07-02-2009, 12:28 AM
True, but I bet if he was there everyone would have thought they should have drafted that Beckham too lol.

Including you, hopefully.

To pass on an actual shortstop with his tools for a first baseman would have been the definition of stupidity.

Btrester151
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Just checking some stats on Billy Hamilton
7 sb in 6 game. Also 4 E lol. Cant wait to see what he does in a full season next year. God I love baseball. :beerme:

Doug, where do you see him starting next year? Dayton?

dougdirt
07-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Just checking some stats on Billy Hamilton
7 sb in 6 game. Also 4 E lol. Cant wait to see what he does in a full season next year. God I love baseball. :beerme:

Doug, where do you see him starting next year? Dayton?

Depends how the season goes and of course how he looked in spring training. He is off to a very strong start, but its an incredibly small sample size too. Lots of things can change over the next 200 PA.