PDA

View Full Version : Who will represent the Reds in the All Star game?

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Vote for all that apply. You can choose any number to vote for. This isn't who you think should be in the all star game, but who ACTUALLY will be there.

Joseph
06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Cueto and Cordero

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I voted for Cueto and Phillips, as Cordero has some steep competition: Hoffman, Broxton, K-Rod, Heath Bell. I could easily see him being left off. Phillips has Utley and Hudson as his main competition.

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I forgot about Phillips but he does deserve it this season. Cueto should be a no brainer and Cordero is what 16-16 in save chances?

Unassisted
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Only Cueto.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Cueto and Phillips. Votto would have probably made it until he went on the DL.

nate
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I think it could be as many as four: Cueto, Ramon, BP and Cordero. But I guess it will be Cueto and perhaps Ramon.

I(heart)Freel
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I think Ramon gets picked as the backup backstop.

Johnny Footstool
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
It will be Cueto, and no one else. If not for Cueto, then it would be Cordero.

RedsBaron
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Cueto.

VR
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Cueto, Phillips, Cordero are the 3 contenders....with Hernandez being a very long shot at this point.

The NL closer situation is amazing at this point....it might come down to whoever flinches 1st....gives up a run or blows a save.

BRM
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Why is Ramon a longshot? His numbers are right there with the rest of the NL catchers.

Roy Tucker
06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
It will be a crime if Cueto doesn't make it.

Phillips has a shot. Votto would have been there if he hadn't been DL'ed. Cordero has the stats but I don't think he's all that great.

cumberlandreds
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I think Ramon gets picked as the backup backstop.

Ramon Hernandez? :confused:

Coco Cordero will be the lone Red.

nate
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Ramon Hernandez.

He's one of the best NL catchers so far this season.

cumberlandreds
06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Ramon Hernandez.

But not a SS as Freel said. I'm just kidding more than anything. I knew who he meant. :)

M2
06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Given the way he's playing, it would be a crime if Phillips didn't make the All-Star team.

VR
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Ramon Hernandez.

He's been solid...but statistically he's middle of the pack at best, on offense and defense. Unless he goes on a tear with the bat the next couple of weeks to get the OPS over .800, can't see him getting too much love.

It may hurt him to be playing so much 1st as well.....although it could bode very very well to not have those innings on his legs for the 2nd half of the year.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, they take 30 guys plus there are injuries and such. Perhaps the Reds will get more than 1 representative this year. I think Cueto's a lock unless he gets hurt, knock wood. Phillips' competition is Chase Utley and O Dog. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the reigning Gold Glove 2B is picked. Who is Cordero's competition? Lidge has been subpar and he's on the DL now. Hoffman and K-Rod will go for sure. Heath Bell may have a shot too with L.A's closer but after those guys and Cordero, the pickings are pretty slim.

nate
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
He's been solid...but statistically he's middle of the pack at best, on offense and defense. Unless he goes on a tear with the bat the next couple of weeks to get the OPS over .800, can't see him getting too much love.

It may hurt him to be playing so much 1st as well.....although it could bode very very well to not have those innings on his legs for the 2nd half of the year.

I dunno. Among qualified catchers, he's top 3 in BA (#1), OBP (#3), SLG (#3) and OPS (#2.) None of the qualified catchers is OPSing > .800.

I mean, I don't know if that matters to the voting fans, but I think he's been amongst the best in the NL this year.

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I dunno. Among qualified catchers, he's top 3 in BA (#1), OBP (#3), SLG (#3) and OPS (#2.) None of the qualified catchers is OPSing > .800.

I mean, I don't know if that matters to the voting fans, but I think he's been amongst the best in the NL this year.

Remember that the fans only vote the starters, and Charlie Manuel will be selecting the rest of the team, aside from the final spot, which will be voted on by the fans.

I(heart)Freel
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
But not a SS as Freel said. I'm just kidding more than anything. I knew who he meant. :)

Backup backstop = 2nd string catcher.

I(heart)Freel
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
And in all seriousness, I do think Ramon has the best shot of being selected as a backup at his position. That's both for what he's done and because there's not a lot of heavy competition among catchers in NL.

That said, maybe Manuel will remember that poor infield defense plagued the NL last year. So maybe BPhil gets the nod after all.

RedsManRick
06-10-2009, 03:01 PM
It's pretty clear that Cueto and Cordero have the best shot as of today. Cueto's selection could depend on how he lines up with the game and thus his availability. As for Cordero, relievers are often the guy who gets picked to represent a team when nobody else deserves it.

2B should be real interesting. Utley is the clear starter. After him, I'd have Phillips and Hudson neck and neck, followed by a group of guys including Sanchez, Uggla, Lopez, and Barmes.

The Pirates rep is probably between Duke and Sanchez -- so that could affect the Reds either way.

Danny Serafini
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Remember that the fans only vote the starters, and Charlie Manuel will be selecting the rest of the team, aside from the final spot, which will be voted on by the fans.

Not any more, the players have a vote too. From wikipedia:

Eight pitchers (five starters and three relievers) and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players, coaches, and managers. If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected.

Factor in a couple of players going because there has to be someone from their team, and Charlie only gets to make a few picks himself.

Oh, and I picked Cueto and Phillips in the poll.

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Not any more, the players have a vote too. From wikipedia:

Factor in a couple of players going because there has to be someone from their team, and Charlie only gets to make a few picks himself.

Oh, and I picked Cueto and Phillips in the poll.

Oops. Didn't know that. Either way, the fans only choose the starters, which was my main point.

Degenerate39
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Cueto will be the only one

TheNext44
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
It's pretty clear that Cueto and Cordero have the best shot as of today. Cueto's selection could depend on how he lines up with the game and thus his availability. As for Cordero, relievers are often the guy who gets picked to represent a team when nobody else deserves it.

2B should be real interesting. Utley is the clear starter. After him, I'd have Phillips and Hudson neck and neck, followed by a group of guys including Sanchez, Uggla, Lopez, and Barmes.

The Pirates rep is probably between Duke and Sanchez -- so that could affect the Reds either way.

Yeah, the every team has to be represented rule always causes problems. Phillips and Hudson are a clear step above the others you mentioned, but one of them could go due to the rule, and force Manual to choose between Phillips and Hudson.

I don't see Cordero getting it, they tend to pick only a few closers, and he is ranked about 5th in my opinion, behind Hoffman, Broxton, Bell, and K-Fed. Probably only three of those four are going. I think Rhodes has a better shot, and is more deserving.

Cueto can be selected and not pitch if it doesn't fall on a throwing day for him. Actually, that is preferable. I can't see him not getting picked.

klw
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I think Rhodes is more likely to get chosen than Cordero. Most likely is Phillips.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Arthur Rhodes really should be included as an option. He's pitched brilliantly this year, but I don't see him making it.

Cueto seems like a lock...and really, Cordero should be too. He's piched damn near perfect this year. Phillips is having a really good season too as he should be included too.

camisadelgolf
06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Ramon Hernandez has been solid, but he hasn't played like an All-Star. Votto would be in if not for the time off. Brandon Phillips deserves it, but he might not get the nod because of a roster squeeze. Johnny Cueto is an easy 'yes', and I'm surprised CoCo isn't getting more support because he should be an easy 'yes', too. If I were making the roster, taking into consideration the voting process, this is who I'd bring to the All-Star game:

starting lineup:
NYM Carlos Beltran
PHI Chase Utley
STL Albert Pujols
NYM David Wright
PHI Raul Ibanez
MIL Ryan Braun
PHI Jimmy Rollins
STL Yadier Molina

bench:
ATL Brian McCann
SDG Adrian Gonzalez
CIN Brandon Phillips
ATL Chipper Jones
WAS Ryan Zimmerman
FLA Hanley Ramirez
COL Brad Hawpe
ARI Justin Upton
HOU Hunter Pence

pitchers:
PIT Zach Duke
LAD Chad Billingsley
CIN Johnny Cueto
SFO Tim Lincecum
SFO Matt Cain
NYM Johan Santana
ATL Jair Jurrjens
MIL Yovani Gallardo
CHC Ted Lilly
ARI Danny Haren
FLA Josh Johnson
LAD Jonathan Broxton
CIN Francisco Cordero
NYM Francisco Rodriguez
SDG Heath Bell

VR
06-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Problem is....there are only 7 "qualified" catchers....and several currently just under threshold.

You have to figure Molina/ McCann are shoe ins....leaving one spot for Martin/ B Molina/IRod/ Baker/ Hernandez/Snyder

Love to see him make it though.

*BaseClogger*
06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Ramon Hernandez has been solid, but he hasn't played like an All-Star. Votto would be in if not for the time off. Brandon Phillips deserves it, but he might not get the nod because of a roster squeeze. Johnny Cueto is an easy 'yes', and I'm surprised CoCo isn't getting more support because he should be an easy 'yes', too. If I were making the roster, taking into consideration the voting process, this is who I'd bring to the All-Star game:

starting lineup:
NYM Carlos Beltran
PHI Chase Utley
STL Albert Pujols
NYM David Wright
PHI Raul Ibanez
MIL Ryan Braun
PHI Jimmy Rollins
STL Yadier Molina

bench:
ATL Brian McCann
SDG Adrian Gonzalez
CIN Brandon Phillips
ATL Chipper Jones
WAS Ryan Zimmerman
FLA Hanley Ramirez
COL Brad Hawpe
ARI Justin Upton
HOU Hunter Pence

pitchers:
PIT Zach Duke
LAD Chad Billingsley
CIN Johnny Cueto
SFO Tim Lincecum
SFO Matt Cain
NYM Johan Santana
ATL Jair Jurrjens
MIL Yovani Gallardo
CHC Ted Lilly
ARI Danny Haren
FLA Josh Johnson
LAD Jonathan Broxton
CIN Francisco Cordero
NYM Francisco Rodriguez
SDG Heath Bell

How do you justify starting Rollins this year?

BRM
06-10-2009, 06:16 PM

He's the leading vote-getter. Other than that, there is no justification.

*BaseClogger*
06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
He's the leading vote-getter. Other than that, there is no justification.

Oops, I missed this:

If I were making the roster, taking into consideration the voting process, this is who I'd bring to the All-Star game:

camisadelgolf
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM

. . . If I were making the roster, taking into consideration the voting process . . .

Homer Bailey
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
How is it showing 100 people voted for Willy T but when you click on it, it doesn't say any names? Is someone yankin my chain?

*BaseClogger*
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
How is it showing 100 people voted for Willy T but when you click on it, it doesn't say any names? Is someone yankin my chain?

One of the mods is hillarious? :dunno:

:laugh:

Roy Tucker
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
The fix is in.

Eric_the_Red
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I demand a recount. There are hanging chads!!

paintmered
06-10-2009, 07:52 PM
One of the mods is hillarious? :dunno:

:laugh:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2685316021_f18c073b41_o.jpg

BTW, it wasn't me...

dabvu2498
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Computers favor Willy T!

mth123
06-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Computers favor Willy T!

Hackers like Hackers. Maybe the whole team should have 100.

membengal
06-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Dusty Baker. Bench coach. In case there is a two-hour rain delay, to assist the manager with the decision on how to best bring the pitcher who was last on the mound back to mound.

gm
06-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Coco is out after the BS tonight

VR
06-11-2009, 01:51 AM

Most likely.

Homer Bailey
06-11-2009, 01:57 AM

Because he has an incompetent manager? No.

I think he was out regardless because of his competition.

VR
06-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Because he has an incompetent manager? No.

I think he was out regardless because of his competition.

He had a chance if he kept it up. He still has a shot....but his chances took a shot to the gut tonight. I would rather have him miss anyway with all the innings he's thrown already.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Who is the Reds’ All-Star? Cueto
By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 07:50 PM

RICK STOWE’S DILEMMA:

The Cincinnati Reds equipment manager has to send uniform sizes to MLB for the player or players that will be on the All-Star team. Stowe isn’t sure whose name or names to send and asked several members of the media, “Who is our All-Star or All-Stars?”

Great question. Every team has to have one. Joey Votto would be a candidate had he not missed so many games and if he weren’t a first baseman, a position loaded with talent through the National League.

I could think of only two names: Johnny Cueto and Coco Cordero.

Any ideas out there? Who should be the Reds All-Stars(s)?

CUETO MADE his strongest statement thus far tonight when he ignored a stiff, tight back and held the Arizona Diamondbacks to one infield hit over six innings during a 1-0 victory.

Cueto is 8-4 with a 2.69 ERA. Does he want to go to St. Louis? Does he ever? His eyes widened and brightened when asked and he said, “I don’t know. Maybe. Yes. Yes, I want to go. I’m fighting hard for it.”

Said Manager Dusty Baker, “I haven’t thought about it. But Cueto’s ERA is indicative of being an All-Star. But there are a lot of good pitchers in our league.” And Cueto won’t have another chance at a win before the pick the team Sunday.

Cueto started Wednesday’s game by walking four in the first two innings. His back was tightening up. After the second, he went up to the clubhouse and conditioning coordinator Matt Krause stretched him out. Lights out from there - no more walks, eight strikeouts, just the one infield hit.

Johnny Cueto, All-Star.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/07/01/lifes_little_aggravations_took.html

thatcoolguy_22
07-02-2009, 05:03 AM
What is the precedent for a non fan selected player receiving the all star nod after missing a month (or so)? WOY?

Look at Votto's numbers .354/.452/.601 He is OPSing 1.053 :eek:

wOBA .447
ISO .253
RAR 17.5 (WAR and RAR are cumulative...)
WAR 1.8
OPS+ 173 (comparison Pujols 213, Morneau 160 and, Fielder 172)

If the Reds get the standard 1 entry I think it will be Cueto but, Votto crushes when he is healthy.

savafan
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't get how Taveras has 102 votes when only 90 people have voted.

nate
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't get how Taveras has 102 votes when only 90 people have voted.

That's the funniest thing on Redszone this week!

:cool:

Hollcat
07-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Proof that Dusty reads (and votes on) this message board.

Hollcat
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Don't be surprised to see Freddie Sanchez from the Pirates make it behind Utley and Hudson if there is third 2B taken. Zack Duke(8-6 3.?? era) is the only other candidate from the Pirates so he or Sanchez will make it. Sanchez is .316 6 33, 25 doubles and .832 OPS (Phillips is .799 OPS)

Unassisted
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
The RedsZone hivemind didn't call this one for Cordero.

Chip R
07-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Don't be surprised to see Freddie Sanchez from the Pirates make it behind Utley and Hudson if there is third 2B taken. Zack Duke(8-6 3.?? era) is the only other candidate from the Pirates so he or Sanchez will make it. Sanchez is .316 6 33, 25 doubles and .832 OPS (Phillips is .799 OPS)

Unless he's traded too.

Mario-Rijo
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Probably confused by the parameters. Apparently a 3.87 ERA gets you in if you are lucky enough to accompany that with 10 wins (Marquis). So if the Reds had a better offense it's safe to say Bronson could have 10 wins and would have been in consideration.

RedsManRick
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM

35 of us did. In fact, I chose only Cordero... go me!

cumberlandreds
07-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Coco Cordero will be the lone Red.

Not to brag but I called this one. ;) When teams have been as poor as the Reds have for a number of years its hard for them to break past having more than one or two reps on the ASG team. Since the Reds strength this season has been relief pitching this one was easy to call. Hey! A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.