PDA

View Full Version : Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
He looks pretty interesting...playing in a tough ACC league.

Anyone know what his defense is like?

KoryMac5
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Most scouts like Fluery because they feel he is pretty polished and comes from a good college program known to turn out good prospects. Scouting report reads like this:

Fluery’s above-average power, strong throwing arm, and solid defensive reputation make him an easy top ten round caliber collegiate catching prospect.

Plus most like his patience at the plate which is not a bad thing for the Reds to become involved with.

redsmetz
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
From UNC's website:

SOPHOMORE (2008)
Teamed with Tim Federowicz to give the Tar Heels one of the nation's top catching tandems • Saw action in 61 games and made 38 starts - 15 at catcher and 23 at designated hitter • Hit .275 (41-149) with three home runs, eight doubles and 25 RBI • Also added 20 runs scored and 21 walks • Posted a .389 slugging percentage and reached base at a .360 clip • Went 5-for-18 as a pinch hitter • Batted .303 (23-76) in ACC play and hit .385 (5-13) in the NCAA Tournament • Hit safely in a career-best eight straight games from March 4-15 • Named to the NCAA Cary Regional All-Tournament Team after going 4-for-4 with two doubles and a home run in the regional • Matched career highs with three hits, two runs and three RBI on a three-run homer versus UNC Wilmington in the June 1 regional final • Went 3-for-5 with a career-high three RBI and first career home run at Duke March 9 • Also had two or more hits in all three games of the Duke series and finished with five RBI in the series • Also homered against Boston College April 18 • Went 2-for-2 with three walks against Clemson April 11 • Was 2-for-5 with two RBI at Maryland March 22 • Also added two hits against No. 14 Georgia Tech April 6 • Finished with nine multi-hit games on the season • Drove in game-winning run in the April 27 win over No. 2 Florida State with a 10th-inning walk • Finished with three RBI in the series win over the Seminoles • Reached base three times and drove in a run against No. 3 Florida State May 24 in the ACC Tournament. Summer 2008: Played 22 games, mainly at catcher, for the Cape League champion Harwich Mariners • Hit .238 (20-84) with two home runs, two doubles and a triple • Also drove in 14 runs • Co-winner of the PA SportsTicker Star of Stars Playoff MVP Award after hitting a walk-off bases-loaded single to lift the Mariners to the league title in game two of the championship series • Also helped lead the East team to an 8-6 comeback win with an eighth-inning home run in the Under Armour Cape Cod League All-Star Game • Earned Coca-Cola Player of the Week honors July 21 after posting a .462 batting average (12-26) with four extra-base hits, including two home runs, and nine RBI in six games.

FRESHMAN (2007)
Saw action in 10 games and hit .286 (2-for-7) • Singled against Towson March 20 and UNC Wilmington April 3 • Scored a run versus Davidson March 28 • Drew three walks on the season • Did not record an error behind the plate • Played in a pair of ACC games. Summer 2007: Played with the Keene Swamp Bats of the New England Collegiate Baseball League • Hit .235 (16-68) with five RBI in 20 games • Stole three bases and posted a .966 fielding percentage.

POPE HIGH SCHOOL
Played two seasons at Pope High School for coach Jeff Rowland • Also played two seasons at the Marist School in Atlanta • All-state selection as a senior and named MVP of Georgia state tournament • Earned All-Cobb County honors from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Marietta Daily Journal • Also played two years of football at Marist • Played summer ball with the East Cobb Yankees.

PERSONAL
Mark Anthony Fleury is the son of Mike and Diane Fleury • Born May 4, 1988, in Roswell, Ga. • Has two older sisters • Majoring in communication studies at Carolina • Father played shortstop at Cornell University • Lists favorite MLB team is the Atlanta Braves • Favorite movies are "Boondock Saints" and "The Departed" • Favorite athlete is Cal Ripken, Jr. • Favorite video game is "MLB The Show" • Would like to switch places for a day with Mike Fox so that he could coach Dustin Ackley.

cumberlandreds
06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Johnny Bench was a 2nd round pick. Just sayin'. :)

redsmetz
06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
So am I understand where the NCAA tournament stands, Arizona State is playing UNC? So Leake could face Fleury?

cumberlandreds
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
So am I understand where the NCAA tournament stands, Arizona State is playing UNC? So Leake could face Fleury?

Yes they play Sunday afternoon at 2 pm on ESPN. I'm setting my DVR for that one. :thumbup:

bounty37h
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I live in CH, and have seen him play the last couple years here. Good catcher, not great, good hitter, again, not great. He is one of those players who is not great at any one aspect of the game in itself, but has high baseball IQ, good instincts, and does a good job at all things throughout the game without being a superstar. I am glad to see the Reds get him, I would rate him a lil higher level then our other catching prospects overall, without actually seeing them much, just on what I have read or others say.

chicoruiz
06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
He bats lefty, correct? 'Cause I love me some left-hand-hitting catchers...

ochoa30
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Yep, only thing better would be a switch hitting catcher who can actually hit from both sides.

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Yes he does and as bounty stated he's a pretty solid hitter.

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Yep, only thing better would be a switch hitting catcher who can actually hit from both sides.

Like our 10th round pick Barnhart. :thumbup:

TC81190
06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Does anyone have a comparison for Fleury?

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Joe Mauer....:cool:

J/K but seriously that's a tough one. A reasonably disciplined LH hitter with 15-20 HR potential maybe a .260ish hitter. I'd call him a LH hitting version of Hanigan with more pop, less contact and Ramon-ish defensively (I think Hanigan has a better arm than either). That's the best I can do on the little I've read on him.

gm
06-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Jeff Reed? Eddie Taubensee?

Fleury's my guy, first to show. Hand's off! The rest of you can't have him!

princeton
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Craig Tatum? Dane Sardinha?

ochoa30
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Like our 10th round pick Barnhart. :thumbup:

yea, really hoping they can sign some of these kids.

bounty37h
06-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Joe Mauer....:cool:

J/K but seriously that's a tough one. A reasonably disciplined LH hitter with 15-20 HR potential maybe a .260ish hitter. I'd call him a LH hitting version of Hanigan with more pop, less contact and Ramon-ish defensively (I think Hanigan has a better arm than either). That's the best I can do on the little I've read on him.

I would agree with that, more power then Hanny, not a ton more though. I think he is a good defensive catcher (I agree Han has the best arm of the 3 here), has a better arm then Ramon and calls a good game. He has had some great pitchers to work with his years here, so he has handled a lot of diferent really good pitchers, and knows how to work well with each and their strengths. I dont think he wil lbe a star, but a good, consistant catcher you can put back there and not have any worries about him. Also a great guy, very friendly and a real fav in the clubhouse.

bounty37h
06-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Fleury's my guy, first to show. Hand's off! The rest of you can't have him!

I would def say he is better then either of those guys, and I liked Taub.
First to show, whatcha mean?

BRM
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Craig Tatum? Dane Sardinha?

Brutal.

dougdirt
06-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Brutal.

Tatum has some major league skills. They just aren't with the lumber. Tatum's defense though, is major league ready without a doubt in my mind. You can do a lot worse than Craig Tatum.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Tatum has some major league skills. They just aren't with the lumber. Tatum's defense though, is major league ready without a doubt in my mind. You can do a lot worse than Craig Tatum.

What about his arm Doug, where would you rank it with Hanigan and Ramon? For some reason I've always thought his arm wasn't all that great.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I would agree with that, more power then Hanny, not a ton more though. I think he is a good defensive catcher (I agree Han has the best arm of the 3 here), has a better arm then Ramon and calls a good game. He has had some great pitchers to work with his years here, so he has handled a lot of diferent really good pitchers, and knows how to work well with each and their strengths. I dont think he wil lbe a star, but a good, consistant catcher you can put back there and not have any worries about him. Also a great guy, very friendly and a real fav in the clubhouse.

Thanks for the info bounty. He sounds like a great partner for Hanigan here in a couple of years.

BRM
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM

So he's a backup catcher at the big league level, maybe. That doesn't get me excited about Fleury if that's his comp as princeton stated.

bounty37h
06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
So he's a backup catcher at the big league level, maybe. That doesn't get me excited about Fleury if that's his comp as princeton stated.

Look again, there were question marks by that, he wasnt stating that, was asking, not sure if in joke or not though ;).

lollipopcurve
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM

If a 4th rounder becomes your backup catcher, that's a successful draft pick.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
If a 4th rounder even makes it to the bigs, it's a pretty successful pick.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2009, 02:10 PM

And if he's actually more of a platooner than a backup even better. Especially due to him being the LH part of a platoon.

princeton
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM

I'm just jerking gm's chain. I hope that Fleury is the next Jason Larue, and I can't give a comp (like Lonnie Roa ;)) until he picks up a wood bat.

BRM
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM

True. Still doesn't "get me excited" though.

BRM
06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm just jerking gm's chain. I hope that Fleury is the next Jason Larue, and I can't give a comp (like Lonnie Roa ;)) until he picks up a wood bat.

Gotcha. I was hoping you were joking because I sure hope Fleury turns into more than Dane Sardinha.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Fleury just singled in his first atbat today.

bounty37h
06-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Go Heels!!!!!!!!!!!

Homer Bailey
06-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Fleury: 2 for 4, R, RBI, BB.

jfleur87
06-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I am extra excited about this player as he and I share the last name. I've always wanted to buy a baseball jersey that said Fleury but w/o just using my last name. I realize I could purchase a hockey jersey, but who wants one of those. I'll be pullin for this kid extra hard

RED VAN HOT
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Fleury also has an unusual way of getting into his batting stance. He slides his left hand half up the bat as if he is getting ready to bunt. Then he pulls the bat back and settles into his somewhat crouched batting position. It's interesting, but no human rain delay, chicken wing flap, or Jay Bruce high sign.

bubbachunk
06-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Playing tonight against ASU and has a walk in his first AB.

Blitz Dorsey
06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Arizona State is about to beat Carolina. Hopefully Leake gets a chance to go out with a better performance than what we saw the other night.

dougdirt
06-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Arizona State is about to beat Carolina. Hopefully Leake gets a chance to go out with a better performance than what we saw the other night.

I'd rather he just not pitch and sign the dotted line.

bounty37h
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Tough one for Fleury, havent seen a catcher have to block so many balls in one game. My Heels completely busted last night, dissapointing, but another great season for the team.

Blitz Dorsey
06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Man I forgot that Tatum was a third-round pick. I thought he was fifth-round for some reason. Reds have had crappy luck drafting catchers recently, college or pro. And by recently, of course I mean since Johnny Bench. ;-)

Hopefully Fleury can change that.

dougdirt
06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Man I forgot that Tatum was a third-round pick. I thought he was fifth-round for some reason. Reds have had crappy luck drafting catchers recently, college or pro. And by recently, of course I mean since Johnny Bench. ;-)

Hopefully Fleury can change that.

Every team has crappy luck drafting catchers. Less than 5% of catchers taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft turn into a starter.

bounty37h
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I talked to FLeury when he got back in town Friday, asked how long a process he thought it would be before he signs, said he hasnt even thought about it yet, going to take a couple weeks to unwind and relax and then get into it all. Very nice guy, felt bad for him to go out the wya the Heels did.

Blitz Dorsey
06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
OK, how about "more bad luck than the average MLB team"? Is that better? I know what you're saying though DD... it's the hardest position to fill with a legit player. But wouldn't you agree that over the last 30 years the Reds have had worse luck than the average MLB team finding catchers in the draft? I think we've had Joe Oliver and that's it since JB moved from catcher to third (and then first). Dan Wilson had a decent MLB career with the Mariners, but I don't count him. Dane Sardinha was awful, Mesoraco is looking like a bust in the making, Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder... I could go on and on.

I just hope Fleury helps end this trend. Then again, if we keep getting undrafted players like Ryan Hanigan that can play catcher well at the MLB level and hit well, I'll be all good. ;-)

lollipopcurve
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder

He's a good defender with a future as a big league backup. For a 3rd round draft choice, that's a win.

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
OK, how about "more bad luck than the average MLB team"? Is that better? I know what you're saying though DD... it's the hardest position to fill with a legit player. But wouldn't you agree that over the last 30 years the Reds have had worse luck than the average MLB team finding catchers in the draft? I think we've had Joe Oliver and that's it since JB moved from catcher to third (and then first). Dan Wilson had a decent MLB career with the Mariners, but I don't count him. Dane Sardinha was awful, Mesoraco is looking like a bust in the making, Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder... I could go on and on.

I just hope Fleury helps end this trend. Then again, if we keep getting undrafted players like Ryan Hanigan that can play catcher well at the MLB level and hit well, I'll be all good. ;-)

While I wasn't a huge Jason LaRue fan...he was definitely league average (maybe slightly above) for most of his tenure with the Reds.

camisadelgolf
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Some of that is 'bad luck', but I think most of it comes from flat-out 'bad drafting'. Almost nothing of quality came through the Reds system through all those years with Bowden. The Reds finally have competent people in the front office, and we may finally see a quality catcher come up through the system.

Kingspoint
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
We won't know what he's like until get gets to AA. No previous experience can prepare him for that. That's where Catchers learn the nuances of professional baseball and the importance of play-calling that's involved with the position. Mesoraco will spend a few years there. It won't be a knock on him that he does. It's just the most difficult level to master, Catcher at the AA level. If you get past that, you can, at the very least, be a defensive replacement in the Majors.

If Johnny Bench wants to help the REDS, I'd love to see him spend some serious time at Carolina.

mth123
12-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Bumping this old thread to seek some updates on Mark Fleury.

With Grandal gone, Fleury seems to be a little more important to the organization. Last season, Fleury was limited to a little over 200 PAs while Grandal got much of the time at A+, but he did produce an overall line of .269/.385/.412/.797 at 3 levels (mostly at A+). It seems like he should be ready for AA in 2012, but with the ranks thinned by departures of Hernandez and Grandal, Fleury might become a key guy if some one goes down with an injury. A quck start in AA with a promotion to AAA would make the depth chart look a little better.

Fleury is overlooked in our prospect rankings, but he was a 4th round pick with some college background, has held his own offensively and has a lefty bat which is fairly rare in a catcher. Need more information about his defense, but a bump to AAA at some point in 2012 while being in position for a call-up if needed seems reasonable. Anyone with any info to add on Fleury?

The DARK
12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Dunno if he profiles as a major leaguer, especially with Tucker Barnhart right on his heels. He had a good, overlooked season, but I think he's a bit far away to be a legitimate option as a backup catcher this year (which is probably still Corky if he sticks around).

camisadelgolf
12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
He's an offense-first catcher. It'd be a surprise if he had as good of a career as Javier Valentin's imho.

corkedbat
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Hopefully, Fleury and/or Barnhardt are ready to challenge for a backup spot when Hanigan leaves for FA in a couple of years. Corky should be back at AAA and with Yasmani gone, it might not be a bad idea to find another experienced journeyman for Lousiville in case of injury. A guy that might be ablem to help young pitchers wouldn't hurt either.

cinreds21
12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah I have been wondering who will split time with Corky in Louisville. I would assume that Fleury and Coddington will be in Pensacola.

Kc61
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah I have been wondering who will split time with Corky in Louisville. I would assume that Fleury and Coddington will be in Pensacola.

Reds should be expected to pick up a vet catcher they can stock at AAA in case of an injury. I don't think Corky is the answer at this point.

cinreds21
12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Reds should be expected to pick up a vet catcher they can stock at AAA in case of an injury. I don't think Corky is the answer at this point.

Yeah. I looked at the minor league catchers who are still free agents and I recognized a lot of the names, but none really jumped out to me as "that's who we need to sign."

camisadelgolf
12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
The Reds should claim this guy on waivers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martilu02.shtml

cinreds21
12-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't be a bad pickup. He has options left and has hit decently in the minors. The roster currently stands at 37, so wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
The Reds should claim this guy on waivers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martilu02.shtml

You'd think if they had any interest in him the Reds could have had him tossed into the Latos deal since he was cut from S.D. the day after they got Grandal.

camisadelgolf
12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
You'd think if they had any interest in him the Reds could have had him tossed into the Latos deal since he was cut from S.D. the day after they got Grandal.
I agree. I'm getting the sense that they're going to look into obtaining a veteran instead.

AWA85
12-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Whats Javier doing these days???

texasdave
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
The Rangers announced that they have acquired catcher Luis Martinez from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Ryan Kelly (via Twitter).

Martinez, 26, has been added to Texas' 40-man roster. The right-handed hitter appeared in 22 games with the Friars in 2011, hitting .203/.309/.305 in 68 plate appearances.

Kelly, 24, was a 26th-round pick of the Pirates in 2006. He has a 4.50 career ERA over five minor league seasons.

powersackers
01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Anyone care to review my stab at our catching depth in the organization? Add any key guys I'm missing...

MLB
Hanigan
Mesoraco

AAA
Coddington
Miller

AA
Fleury
Brian Peacock

A+
Barnhart

A

cinreds21
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Brian Esposito will be in Louisville with Corky.

camisadelgolf
01-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Cincinnati Louisville Pensacola Bakersfield Dayton Billings Arizona other
Ryan Hanigan Corky Miller Mark Fleury Tucker Barnhart Chris Berset Julio Morillo Fray Sosa Jordan Wideman (retirement?)
Devin Mesoraco Brian Esposito KevinCoddington Brian Peacock Danny Vicioso Yovan Gonzalez Wagner Gomez
Nick O'Shea (1B?)

BEETTLEBUG
01-05-2012, 05:48 AM
James Skelton (AAA)

mth123
01-05-2012, 06:47 AM
James Skelton (AAA)

Skelton is a free agent. I'd have preferred him to Esposito.

Edd Roush
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the breakdown, camisa.