PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Announcers

11larkin11
06-11-2009, 02:55 AM
The Welsh thread got me thinking. Name your favorite guys on the TV/Radio side.

TV

PBP:
Thom Brenneman
George Grande

Color:
Brantley (yes I actually like him here)
Welsh(much more than Grande, though)

Radio

PBP:
Marty obviously

Color: (heres where it gets fun)

Kelch
Brantley
Mercker
Welsh

Overall
Jim Kelch
Marty Brenneman
Jeff Brantley
Chris Welsh
Kent Mercker
Thom Brenneman

George Grande

reds44
06-11-2009, 03:16 AM
The best booth the Reds have is Thom and Brantley.

WVRedsFan
06-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Being one who studied broadcasting (radio broadcasting) in college, I would rank the announcers as follows"

Radio PBP - Marty
Radio Color - Brantley and Welsh when he infrequently appears
TV PBP - Thom
TV Color - Brantley

The wortst i s easy:

Radio PBP - Brantley
Radio Color - Thom (if he calls out to "Dad" one more time I'm gonna hurl.
TVPB - Grande - Nice guy but just annoying. Isn't he old enough to retire?
TV Color - Welsh - Constant babbling on about unrelated material annoys me.

I like Kelch, and I llike the team of Brenneman and Kelch, but radio is all about entertainment and they don't do that. For us baseball purists, Brantley is not da bomb, but it works in what they are trying to do. On TV, the best team is Thom and Brantley and the worst is George and Chris.

redsmetz
06-11-2009, 06:42 AM
I've said this before, but Kelch, IMO, somehow reigns Marty's worst tendencies in. With Kelch in the booth, Marty is hardly ever cantankerous (I don't think I've ever actually had to spell that word before). It's a better Marty when Kelch is up.

Ltlabner
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Really? This is the "high quality" of Reds discussion that ORG provides?

Sorry to be cranky, but this topic has been done 1,000 times in 1,000 different ways. If it had Dunn's name in it, it would have been closed already.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
I like Marty (I've only been listenning to him for 20+ years) although I think it's probably apparent to long time listeners like myself that he's become a little more ornery as he's aged. I still respect and appreciate what he brings to the table (including the personality which I feel adds to radio broadcasts) and don't care (umm well not THAT much anyway) about that stuff that I disagree with (like pointing to win-loss records to assess how a pitcher is doing). I actually dread the day he's no longer in the booth as I did with Joe. I also think that Brantley is lucky to have a vet to lean on that's still on top of things.

I've warmed up to Brantley and appreciate his perspective as a former pitcher that has had success in the majors. I also enjoy his personality as well and would love to see how much Montgomery Inn ribs he could eat just once.

Thom... well ummm maybe it's just me but I think he (and the rest) are an example of why they don't need to move the broadcasters around quite so much. Some of them aren't on the radio broadcasts much so someone like me doesn't have much of a chance to get to know them and their style. While Thom just seems like a better fit for tv. But ... Thom + Joe Buck would = one unlistenable broadcast.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Sorry to be cranky, but this topic has been done 1,000 times in 1,000 different ways. If it had Dunn's name in it, it would have been closed already.
Who whizzed in your Wheaties? Some topics will be done again and again... If you don't care for the discussion just pass it by.

LvJ
06-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I rank George Grande negative 100.

Jpup
06-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I think Welsh is very good when he is with Thom. I think it's time that George moves on, but I doubt it happens. I would love for the Reds to drag Darren Sutton out of Arizona.

I don't listen to the radio at all so I'll just say that my favorite team is Thom and Welsh.

RANDY IN INDY
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't like two play by play guys in the booth at the same time.

dabvu2498
06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I listened to almost all the Sunday broadcast that Thom did by himself. Very professional, classy performance and increased my appreciation for him. I wish he sounded like that all the time.

Eric_the_Red
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Okay, I'm relatively new to the ORG, so I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I've seen this type of post numerous times already. "We've discussed this to death", "This was already talked about years ago", etc. While it may be true that these or similar topics were discussed in the past, there are plenty of new ORG members that may find those topics worth commenting on. Short of searching the archives prior to every post, I think it should be expected that some topics are rehashed.

If you sound the topic unsuitable, don't read it. I find these types of snarky comments damaging to the ORG, or at least to new ORG members, because it can make us gun-shy about bringing up any new topic.

I can certainly understand some guidelines (discussions about players that are no longer on the team, talking about issues that should be covered in designated threads like the Game Thread, etc.) and I understand not having multiple threads about the same subject, but I don't think all topics covered in the past should be ignored in the future. We have new ORG members that may have a different perspective, or maybe things have changed since the topic was last discussed.

In this topic for instance, the discussion is about the announcers. As some have pointed out, the announcer's quality can improve or change over different seasons. So perhaps the discussion now would be different than in the past.

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably) but I know that I have been hesitant to start some threads for fear of breaking some unwritten ORG rule and offending some of the delicate sensitivities that seem to permeate this forum. Many/most ORG members have been great and welcoming, but a percentage strikes me as an old dog snapped at the new puppy for stepping near their favorite toy.

Sorry for the rant....just had to vent. And I also dislike Grande as an announcer. :p:

Jpup
06-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree Eric. Too much of "this has been talked about a million times" stuff going around. It's a message board. That's how it works. It would be talked about so much if no one cared.

westofyou
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
The best booth the Reds have is Thom and Brantley.

For what hyperbole and knowing it all?

RedlegJake
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Okay let's end this here. The topic is fine. It is staying up unless the discussion about its appropriateness doesn't end. There are many new ORG members and they haven't read about this, plus it is not specifically a topic about just Marty, or how Grande is nice but irritating. For those who have seen a thread similar simply pass it by OR read some comments by our new members who haven't weighed in on it before. They were voted in because we thought they were voices worth hearing - so let them have a chance to be heard!

Jake

westofyou
06-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Mods make the call on threads, not others, that's why there is a report a post button, but that should be seen as the glass around the fire alarm. Only break it when you need to, not when you want to skip class.

nate
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I've said it before and I'll say again:

I don't mind George Grande.

I think the worst part about him is he wears a short-sleeve dress shirt (which my Dad always told me did exist because dress shirts don't have short sleeves.)

George is like an old, comfortable shoe with a hole in it. You know your toe is going to get wet but the fit is good so it doesn't matter.

Chris is OK to me. Actually, I think this year he's better than ever before. I think he talks too much in "tech talk" but the quality of those segments is all over the place anyhow. I like his analysis though.

I think Thom is OK. He has good "presence" and calls the game better than George. I'm about 50/50 on his editorializing.

Brantley is also about 50/50 on the editorializing. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it's really bad. His delivery has gotten old though. Sometimes, he's good and bad at the same time. In Harang's previous start, Brantley was talking about how Aaron wasn't "loading up" on his back leg before his delivery and he made a decent explanation of it. Then they came back after an inning break and there's Cowboy in his suit with a baseball looking extremely sweaty and puffy showing us how Harang wasn't doing what he just explained. It was lame and uninformative other than marveling at how he kept the top button of his shirt from popping off and blinding the camerman.

I guess that could be a production thing too.

Marty, never heard much him but when I have, I though he was good at PBP and a cranky old man with everything else. I grew up with Vin Scully and to me, that's the gold standard of great announcers.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I just can't help but like George Grande. He's one of the nicest people I have ever met. He's truly one of the good guys. Yeah, I get annoyed by his love for the Cardinals sometimes, but I like him. There are far worse announcers out there.

Brantley is horrible as a play-by-play man, but I like him as the color man on TV.

I like Thom.

Welsh has improved over the years and is now very good, IMO.

Marty still has a great voice, I just wish he would tone down the bashing.

Kelch is awesome.

I pretty much like them all.

cumberlandreds
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I just can't help but like George Grande. He's one of the nicest people I have ever met. He's truly one of the good guys. Yeah, I get annoyed by his love for the Cardinals sometimes, but I like him. There are far worse announcers out there.

Brantley is horrible as a play-by-play man, but I like him as the color man on TV.

I like Thom.

Welsh has improved over the years and is now very good, IMO.

Marty still has a great voice, I just wish he would tone down the bashing.

Kelch is awesome.

I pretty much like them all.

I agree with you about Grande. He seems like a truly nice guy and I think some bash him just for that. Sure he's full of cliches but overall the Reds could do a lot worse. Other people who are fans of other teams really like him and he is very well thought of in the broadcasting circles.
I don't really care for Thom. He's OK but he seems like a jack of all trades announcer but not really being an expert at any. When he and Marty are together I have found them almost unlistenable. They seem to try to outdo each other in bashing others.
Marty when by himself or with Kelch he is just fine. Just keep away from any of the others. It just seems to turn on the grumpy button and its not much fun to listen to.
Welsh is very good,IMO. He knows his stuff and can usually articulate it pretty well.
Brantley is one I just don't care for. Just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. If the Reds let him go I wouldn't shed any tears. He just goes to extremes too often.
Kelch seems really good. The Reds need to promote him to majors soon or they lose him to someone else. Like others have said he seems to be able to rein in Marty and goes very with him.

Rojo
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Marty, never heard much him but when I have, I though he was good at PBP and a cranky old man with everything else. I grew up with Vin Scully and to me, that's the gold standard of great announcers.

I grew up with him as well, along with Ross Porter and Jerry Doggett (all of whose names ended up in the X-Files). The great thing about all of them is that they're loaded with information. They actually have a research department to spin out interesting facts about the game, the teams and the players. Imagine.

nate
06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I grew up with him as well, along with Ross Porter and Jerry Doggett (all of whose names ended up in the X-Files). The great thing about all of them is that they're loaded with information. They actually have a research department to spin out interesting facts about the game, the teams and the players. Imagine.

Ross Porter always reminded me of Foghorn Leghorn.

Ron Madden
06-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Okay, I'm relatively new to the ORG, so I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I've seen this type of post numerous times already. "We've discussed this to death", "This was already talked about years ago", etc. While it may be true that these or similar topics were discussed in the past, there are plenty of new ORG members that may find those topics worth commenting on. Short of searching the archives prior to every post, I think it should be expected that some topics are rehashed.

If you sound the topic unsuitable, don't read it. I find these types of snarky comments damaging to the ORG, or at least to new ORG members, because it can make us gun-shy about bringing up any new topic.

I can certainly understand some guidelines (discussions about players that are no longer on the team, talking about issues that should be covered in designated threads like the Game Thread, etc.) and I understand not having multiple threads about the same subject, but I don't think all topics covered in the past should be ignored in the future. We have new ORG members that may have a different perspective, or maybe things have changed since the topic was last discussed.

In this topic for instance, the discussion is about the announcers. As some have pointed out, the announcer's quality can improve or change over different seasons. So perhaps the discussion now would be different than in the past.

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably) but I know that I have been hesitant to start some threads for fear of breaking some unwritten ORG rule and offending some of the delicate sensitivities that seem to permeate this forum. Many/most ORG members have been great and welcoming, but a percentage strikes me as an old dog snapped at the new puppy for stepping near their favorite toy.

Sorry for the rant....just had to vent. And I also dislike Grande as an announcer. :p:

Nice post :beerme:

The only thing I disagree with in this post is your opinion about Grande. ;)

I believe George figures his audience is already well versed on Reds players, so he's trying to give them some infoe on the opposing team.

Degenerate39
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I rank George Grande negative 100.

Feeling generous?

redsfan1966
06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I am going to lump all the announcers together and rank accordingly:

Marty - Legend, love him still --- crankiness and all.

Brantley - Funny, insightful -- Ok with PBP; closest to "Marty and Joe" when in the booth with Marty.

Chris Welsh - Very good the few times he has paired up with Marty. Is also better with Thom than with George on TV.

Thom - Only slightly above Kelch. Gets points for his chemistry with Brantley. Don't like how he tries to create controversy when paired with his Dad.

Kelch - Very solid, competent PBP. As others have said, keeps Marty under control when paired with him. Will be a good addition when Marty finally retires.

George - Nice guy, bland announcer. Can only stand him with Brantley and only listen to him when unable to match the radio call with the TV.

Mercker - Ok, but hasn't done enough to really even be ranked. Don't see him as a part of the long-term in the booth.

REDREAD
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Ranking, best to worst.

1. Welsh
2. Brantley (without Marty)
3. George
4. Thom (without Marty)
5. The Riverbats guy that fills in
6. Marty

Both Thom and Brantley degrade with Marty in the booth with them.

RANDY IN INDY
06-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Anyone that ranks George ahead of Marty is either very angry or not paying attention.

mth123
06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I watch most of the time with the sound off anyway and only listen on XM so I only hear the radio guys when its a home game and TV isn't available. I watch and listen for the game and the announcers are a distant second when it comes to my enjoyment of a ball game, so I don't get worked up as much as other do. I do think that Marty is a little to harsh and set in his ways and Brantley thinks he knows more than he really does.

If I were to pick the ideal team from these guys, I like Thom on Play by Play and Welsh on Color. Grande is ok, but I do get the criticisms. Thom is horrid on color and Kelch is great when he's on, but I think if he had the gig every day, his knowledge of the young players would dry up eventually and the permanent Kelch may be something less than the refreshing occassional version we get today. I can still listen to Marty, but the wonderful nosatalgia of Marty doing a Reds game died with Joe unfortunately (RIP Joe). Brantley is awful.

westofyou
06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone that ranks George ahead of Marty is either very angry or not paying attention.

George is like a dish of diet vanilla ice milk, blander than a sheet of manila paper and as tasty as a Styrofoam peanut.

Marty is like the pickle plate at Sunday dinner, kind of sour and hit or miss, but capable of wiping away the bad taste with something good in a second.

RANDY IN INDY
06-13-2009, 12:38 PM
As you pointed out, there is no comparison.

BoydsOfSummer
06-13-2009, 08:10 PM
New drinking game. Take a shot every time George refers to someone/ something as brilliant. Buy a liter, a fifth won't last the whole game.

C'mon George,Some things (like Albert) are splendid or magnificent, heck, even...glorious!

Big Klu
06-14-2009, 01:48 AM
New drinking game. Take a shot every time George refers to someone/ something as brilliant. Buy a liter, a fifth won't last the whole game.

C'mon George,Some things (like Albert) are splendid or magnificent, heck, even...glorious!

No, you have to drink a Guinness!

http://www.rochesterwebdesign.com/guinness/registration_footer_left.jpghttp://www.rochesterwebdesign.com/guinness/registration_footer_right.jpg

BRILLIANT!

StillFunkyB
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I like Thom and Brantley...

I haven't heard this Kelch feller, I hardly listen to the radio broadcasts anymore.

I don't have the hatred for Grande as much as some here. I do dislike Welsh though. Seems like a nice guy, just don't care for his commentary.

REDREAD
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Or maybe it's all a matter of opinion.

Back in the 80's, Marty was one of the best. I agree with that.

I'll take George's sugar over Marty's vinegar any day.
I can understand why some people would prefer Marty, but it's just not my taste any more. Marty is the grumpy bitter old relative that ruins family gatherings, IMO.

RANDY IN INDY
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
To each his own. I respect that.

Ron Madden
06-17-2009, 04:09 AM
To tell the truth, I miss the whole bunch of'em during the winter months.