PDA

View Full Version : guys to look at for july deadline

schroomytunes
06-11-2009, 07:45 AM
It's obvious this team is struggling offensively and its our pitching that is keeping us close, so who if any can we get on or before the deadline to jumpstart this offense? Here are some guys I like, I've put them into 3 catagories: 1)AAA 2)AA and 3)A to determine the cost of prospects to be included to get a deal done:

AAA- Holliday, Dye, Rios, and Ordonez

AA-DeRosa, Cuddyer, Hermida, Dukes and Beltre

A-Millar, Willingham, Aurelia, and Atkins

Just some ideas, anyone else available?

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Pretty sure Beltre is a free agent after the season so I expect there's a decent chance he'll be moved.

edit: woops missed that you already had him listed. Bedard is another name I expect to be moved but I'll have to think about offensive players.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
A
Brian Giles: since the Padres are in costcutter/rebuilding mode they may just be happy to unload the contract for anything

hebroncougar
06-11-2009, 08:04 AM
You'd better start looking for some pitching if you manager insists on throwing your #1 starter, and your closer after long rain delays. Their arms will be toast.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
One more although probably less likely:

Miguel Tejada: Astros likely won't contend this year and he's in his contract year. If AGon is injured again...

hebroncougar
06-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Miguel Tejada: Astros likely won't contend this year and he's in his contract year. If AGon is injured again...

If Ede stays down, he's be great at 3b. Not sure I'd want him playing SS though.

HokieRed
06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
You'd better start looking for some pitching if you manager insists on throwing your #1 starter, and your closer after long rain delays. Their arms will be toast.

Agree I hope Dusty didn't blow the season with the handling of Cordero.

RedLegSuperStar
06-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Guys I like heading into the deadline:

Matt Holliday - w/ signing window
Hank Blahlock
Jermaine Dye
Lastings Milledge
Erick Aybar
Andre Ethier

PuffyPig
06-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Guys I like heading into the deadline:

Andre Ethier

Ethier????

The Dodgers have the NL's best record, and Ethier is (with Manny out) their best hitter. He's young, cheap and still improving.

Why exactly would he be someone the Dodgers would move at the deadline? Perhaps in a trade for Cueto?

HotCorner
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Brad Hawpe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7322/splits;_ylt=AhZ1UpPaU5BLGIn8xWOi8EGFCLcF

.339 | .411 | .611 | 1.023

9 HR
45 RBI

While his home splits are better than his road splits, his road numbers still quite good.

.286 | .370 | .538 | .907

He's also hitting lefties very well.

.313 | .368 | .667 | 1.035

The only drawback is his defense. This season he has a -6.7 UZR. Additionally he has not played LF since 2004 and that was for a total of 9 innings.

Jpup
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I always like Hawpe better than Holliday. I'd like to see him in Cincinnati, but Colorado still has a slight chance to compete out West. Well, they have a chance to finish second to the Dodgers.

I would like for the Reds to trade for Felipe Lopez and/or Mark Reynolds from Arizona. Reynolds can play 1st and 3rd (although not greatly) and Lopez can play anywhere on the infield. Both are hitting very well.

Nugget
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Pretty sure Beltre is a free agent after the season so I expect there's a decent chance he'll be moved.

edit: woops missed that you already had him listed. Bedard is another name I expect to be moved but I'll have to think about offensive players.

The Mariners aren't likely to be in selling mode on Bedard or Beltre unless the REDS overwhelm them with an offer. From the Mariners point of view it would probably take someone like Alonso and/or Bailey for starters.

The team that may be in selling mode and as has been shown before is not afraid to pull the trade on fringe prospects is the A's.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah a trade involving the A's or Rockies wouldn't surprise me at all. The Rockies can afford to shop Atkins and Hawpe with the younger players they have and you can never count Billy Beane out. I just wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners dealt at least one of those two but that doesn't mean I'd make the deal, just that I think they could be available. It's still a little soon to know whether we'll be buyers or sellers or what our biggest need(s) may be if we are buyers. Just getting Votto back will be a big help.

OldXOhio
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM

If I'm the Astros I'm unloading both Tejada and Oswalt. Both could bring sizeable enough returns to put them in contention agan as early as next season.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Hawpe is a lefty. How many lefty bats do we want to stack up? Matt Holliday, IMO, would be the perfect fit into this lineup.

OldXOhio
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
If Ede stays down, he's be great at 3b. Not sure I'd want him playing SS though.

Not sure he'd want to play 3B.

redsfandan
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
If I'm the Astros I'm unloading both Tejada and Oswalt. Both could bring sizeable enough returns to put them in contention agan as early as next season.
I like Oswalt, think he's become a little underrated but I wouldn't trade for him with the starting pitching depth we have now. But since you mentioned him he IS a notorious Reds killer (I think something like only 1 loss in 20+ decisions) so I'll admit I've wondered what he'd do playing for us instead of against us.

Hawpe is a lefty. How many lefty bats do we want to stack up? Matt Holliday, IMO, would be the perfect fit into this lineup.
Holliday will cost a ton both in terms of talent to get him and to sign him to an extension. He's good but, Imo, he's not worth THAT much.

HotCorner
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Um. Votto and Bruce are the regulars that bat lefty.

The Phillies have no issue stacking Utley, Howard and Ibanez. If the player can handle lefties, there shouldn't be an issue.

However I do agree with your point regarding Holliday. He would be my #1 target. Hawpe would be nice "consolation prize".

Homer Bailey
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I've changed my stance on acquiring Miguel Tejada. I think he'd be a great addition to play 3rd, but as expected, it doesn't look like theyre gonna trade him within the division.

Cardinals Interested In Miguel Tejada
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 11, 2009 at 10:58am CST]
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals "expanded their search for an additional hitter to include" Miguel Tejada. Since Troy Glaus is out for a while and Khalil Greene is still rehabbing, Tejada could fit on the left side of their infield and provide some offense.

So far he's leading the league with a .355 batting average to go along with an OPS of .899. Though some see Tejada as a third baseman, he has never actually player third in the major leagues. He makes $13MM this year before becoming a free agent after the season.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney weighs in, saying he doesn't think the Astros, or any team owned by Drayton McLane would deal a key player to a division rival.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/cards-interested-in-tejada.html

RedsMan3203
06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the White Sox could trade Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel and maybe even Bobby Jenks prior to the trade deadline.
The White Sox were 27-33 and 6 1/2 games out of first place in the AL Central heading into play on Thursday. If Chicago continues to slide-- the club is 2-8 in its last 10 games-- then changes will be made by an aggressive general manager. "Hard decisions always have to be made, but very clearly, we are in a transitional phase and if this team doesn't pick it up at some point, I'm going to have to do some things that maybe aren't the most popular, but in the best interest of the club," GM Kenny Williams said.

Worth a shot...

per... rotoworld

Chip R
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I like Oswalt, think he's become a little underrated but I wouldn't trade for him with the starting pitching depth we have now. But since you mentioned him he IS a notorious Reds killer (I think something like only 1 loss in 20+ decisions) so I'll admit I've wondered what he'd do playing for us instead of against us.

That's the thing. Since he'd be pitching for us he wouldn't face us so he might not do as well. But if he's pitching for us, we'd avoid the losses we'd get facing him. :)

klw
06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Here is a blog eval of available outfielders from a few weeks ago. http://atlbravesn2007.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/14979388?tag=Carlos%20Lee

GoReds33
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I think it might be worth changing the title of the thread to "Guys We Should Be Looking at Now."

bucksfan2
06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
My list would be

Holiday
Dye
Tejada
Derosa
Beltre
Felipe Lopez

Holiday, Dye, Tejada, and Beltre could fill a top of the order bat and improve the offense over what is currently in place. Derosa and Lopez would have been valuable to the Reds with the uncertain status of Edwin and Votto to a degree. While both Hariston and Rosales have been ok in the field, they played a large roll in the winning two runs scoring yesterday. Its not a knock on either player but when right now it isn't a good idea to be playing both Hariston and Rosales every day.

Will M
06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
My list would be

Holiday
Dye
Tejada
Derosa
Beltre
Felipe Lopez

Holiday, Dye, Tejada, and Beltre could fill a top of the order bat and improve the offense over what is currently in place. Derosa and Lopez would have been valuable to the Reds with the uncertain status of Edwin and Votto to a degree. While both Hariston and Rosales have been ok in the field, they played a large roll in the winning two runs scoring yesterday. Its not a knock on either player but when right now it isn't a good idea to be playing both Hariston and Rosales every day.

i too thought of Lopez. i know his D stunk at SS. would he be ok at 3B?

another name rumored to be available is Stephen Drew

Eric_the_Red
06-12-2009, 08:16 PM
i too thought of Lopez. i know his D stunk at SS. would he be ok at 3B?

I wonder what it would take to get Drew. His slow start this year was compounded with an injury, but has come on strong as of late. He is still young (26) and has decent L/R splits. Someone to look into if available, IMO.

RedsManRick
06-12-2009, 08:26 PM
A guy who would be relatively cheap and still a solid upgrade would be Ty Wiggington. He's having trouble in a part time role in Baltimore, but a lot of that is just bad luck BABIP-wise. He can start everyday at 3B and play a little 1B and corner OF. He probably wouldn't cost a top prospect to acquire either.

redsfandan
06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I would be surprised but very happy if we acquired Drew (depending on the cost). I'm skeptical that he'll be moved but that would fill our biggest need for the next few years which I'm still concerned about.