PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Reds draft signings

Pages : [1] 2

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Draft signings should start rolling in. Post the signings in this thread and maybe one of the mods can bold the players names after they sign.

1. Mike Leake, RHP ASU
1A. Brad Boxberger, RHP USC
2. Billy Hamilton SS-CF Taylorsville HS
3. Donny Joseph LHP-Reliever U of Houston
4. Mark Fleury C UNC Chapel Hill
5. Daniel Tuttle RHP Randleman HS
6. Mark Serrano RHP Oral Roberts
7. Josh Fellhauer CF Cal State Fullerton
8. Juan Silva CF Puerto Rican BB Acad.
9. Brian Pearl RHP-Reliever U Washington
10. Tucker Barnhart C Brownsburg HS LOI Ga. Tech
11. Harold Johnson RHP Trinity Christian Acad.
12. Josh Garton RF Volunteer State CC
13. Nick Christiani RHP Vanderbilt
14. Tim Crabbe RHP Westmont Col.
15. James Walczak RHP Mercyhurst Col.
16. Chase Fowler C South Forsythe HS
17. Devin Marrerro SS Amer. Heritage HS
18. Stephen Perez SS Gulliver Prep School
19. Mitchell Clarke LHP Forrest Hts Collegiate Inst. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (HS)
20. Matt Valaika 2B USC Santa Barbara
21. Jonathan Reed RHP Memorial HS Ok
22. David Stewart 1B Grayson CCC
23. Chris Richburg 1B Texas Tech
24. Derrick Lowery 1B Young Harris College
25. Michael Monster RHP Rutland Secondary School British Columbia
26. Vernon Manz C U of Sou. Fla.
27. Stefan DePino LHP Dorman HS SC
28. Derek Poppert SS U of SF Jr.
29. Jason Braun RHP Corban College Oregon Sr.
30. Yovan Gonzalez C Wabash Valley Jr College Puerto Rico
31. Adian Kummet RHP St. Scholastica Div III
32. Shane Carlson SS UC Santa Barbara
33. William Stramp 3B Lubbock Christian NAIA
34. Forest Cannon RHP UC Santa Barbara
35. Oliver Santos 3B U South Carolina Salkehatchie JC
36. Chris Burleson SS U of Southern Maine Div III
37. Dayne Read CF Chipola JC
38. Thomas Nurre 1B St. Xavier HS/Miami University Jr.
39. Paul Barton RHP Kwalikum HS
40. Michael Robertson CF Bellevue CC
41. Jacob Wiley RHP Marist College Sr.
42. Blair Carson RHP Anderson University in SC
43. Richard Bowen RHP Mississippi State U
44. Javon Shepherd CF Navarro College Jr.
45. Brian Adams CF South Forsythe HS Georgia
46. Timothy Dunn RHP Trevecca Nazarene U.
47. Jason Hampton RHP Rockland HS (CA)
48. Kenny Swab C Young Harris College Jr.
49. Darion Hamilton CF Taylorsville HS Mississippi
50. Chris Page 1B Genesee CC NY Jr.
UD Chase Ware RHP Ole Miss

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2009, 03:28 AM
Saints’ pitcher Kummet drafted by Reds
Adian Kummet wasn’t in a hurry to watch the Major League Baseball draft on Thursday until he got a call from Cincinnati Reds scout Andy Stack.
By: Jon Nowacki, Duluth News Tribune

Adian Kummet wasn’t in a hurry to watch the Major League Baseball draft on Thursday until he got a call from Cincinnati Reds scout Andy Stack.

Stack told the St. Scholastica pitcher that the Reds were about to draft him, so Kummet quickly logged onto mlb.com at his family home in Brainerd, Minn., and saw his name called just in time as Cincinnati took him in the 31st round with the 929th overall pick. Kummet didn’t have to wait long as he was the eighth player selected on the draft’s third and final day.

“It felt great to get it out of the way early. I didn’t have to sweat it out,” Kummet said. “I didn’t want to sit there all day and watch names go by. That was a lot sooner than I expected. I got to breathe easy.”

Kummet joins Brett Nyquist, a 13th round selection of the Montreal Expos in 2002, as the only Saints players ever to be drafted, and he will join the same organization that includes Duluth native Ben Jukich, a pitcher with the Reds’ Class AAA affiliate, the Louisville Bats.

Stack is expected to be in Brainerd on Sunday to work out a deal with Kummet, who expects a signing bonus of $1,000. He hasn’t hired an agent. He probably will then be assigned to rookie ball in either Sarasota, Fla., or Billings, Mont., and could leave for his new destination as early as Monday.

“At this point it is more about the opportunity to play right now than about the money,” said Kummet, who graduated in May with a double major in accounting and finance. “This is a little surreal. It still hasn’t sunk in.”

Kummet, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound right-handed pitcher, went 6-2 with a 1.87 ERA and three saves in leading St. Scholastica to its fifth straight NCAA Division III playoff appearance this spring.

He had 73 strikeouts in just 57 and 2/3 innings.

Kummet finished his career tied for second in program history with 24 wins and fifth with 215 strikeouts.

St. Scholastica assistant coach Joe Wicklund helped Kummet through the recruiting process and said Cincinnati first inquired about Kummet midway through the season.

Stack saw him pitch in the regional playoffs, where Kummet no-hit eventual national champion St. Thomas for six innings.

“Stack didn’t ask me about Adian’s pitching ability,” said Wicklund. “He was so impressive physically there were no questions about that. What Stack wanted to know about was Adian the person, and that was a pleasure, because he’s an even better person. And I don’t know if anyone has worked hard over the last four years. He has done everything we’ve asked of him and then some.”

St. Scholastica initially used Kummet as a closer before having him start the past two seasons. He said the Reds haven’t indicated how they plan to use him, but he would likely have to further develop his changeup to be an effective starter at the pro level.

Kummet is just happy to have a shot. After getting the draft out of the way early, he took the rest of the day easy by playing golf.

“I don’t want to hurt anything,” Kummet joked as he was about to tee off. “I think I’ll be alright. I don’t think anything is going to get hurt on the golf course except for my pride. Sometimes I think I’d be better off just throwing it onto the green.”

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/122670/group/home/

redsmetz
06-12-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm not surprised that Kummet signed first. The article I posted after he was picked indicated that if he hadn't been selected in the draft, he had offers to play in an independent league. Plus, who's hiring accounting and finance majors right now?

bellhead
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
The bonus money is small, but it would make the Reds look like the good guys if they covered all of the kids student loans debts. Also the kids would go into their first year out from a lot of pressure.

bucksfan2
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not surprised that Kummet signed first. The article I posted after he was picked indicated that if he hadn't been selected in the draft, he had offers to play in an independent league. Plus, who's hiring accounting and finance majors right now?

He could probably make more doing his team mates taxes than he will make in salary.

redsmetz
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
The bonus money is small, but it would make the Reds look like the good guys if they covered all of the kids student loans debts. Also the kids would go into their first year out from a lot of pressure.

Depending on the school, that could be a lot of money. I do know that some players who left college early made it part of their contract that the team would pay for them to finish college. One player from OSU was drafted by one team, ultimately traded to another, but the original team would be on the hook should he ever decide to finish up his degree.

redsmetz
06-12-2009, 09:37 AM
He could probably make more doing his team mates taxes than he will make in salary.

Sort of like Henry "Author" Wiggen selling insurance annuities to his teammates in "Bank the Drum Slowly."

JaxRed
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I was thinking that Baseball/Union ought to a establish a minimum signing bonus of $10,000. At most it costs a team 500K.

Homer Bailey
06-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Can we get a sticky on this? This is always one of my favorite threads.

JaxRed
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Of course... no one has actually signed yet.......

Homer Bailey
06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Of course... no one has actually signed yet.......

We've got one signing.

JaxRed
06-14-2009, 12:32 PM
That first guy expects to sign today. He hasn't actually signed.

RED VAN HOT
06-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I am making Adian Kummet my nominee for the Chris Heisey sleeper from an unheralded program award.

redhawk61
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
From Sheldon:

Hamilton, Billy SS Rd 2 GCL
Joseph, Donnie LHP Rd 3 Billings
Serrano, Mark RHP Rd 6 Dayton
Walczak, James RHP Rd15 Billings
Braun, Jason RHP Rd 29 Billings
Carlson, Shane SS Rd 32 Billings
Cannon, Forest RHP Rd 34 Billings
Burleson, Chris SS Rd 36 GCL
Wiley, Jake RHP Rd 41 GCL

Homer Bailey
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
From Sheldon:

Are all of those signings?

Edit: I now see they are all signings. Surprised we got Hamilton that quickly!

redhawk61
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Are all of those signings?
Yep

UKFlounder
06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, if we needed pitching or shorstops, that's a good start... :)

From Sheldon:

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Wow. Hamilton signed quick. Nice to see.

membengal
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Am I correct that the GCL Reds will have Yorman and Duran as well? That's um, one heckuva an athletic team with Hamilton joining them...

Kc61
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Unusual for Reds to send a sixth round pick to Dayton. Serrano.

REDSEER
06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe Fairel moves to Sarasota with Serrano going to Dayton?

HeatherC1212
06-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Wow, that's great that they have nine guys signed all ready! I'm also pleased that we got Hamilton signed so fast since that seemed to be one of the guys they took a chance on with regards to his status. :)

lollipopcurve
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Serrano threw 86 innings this year, up from 67 the year before. They should manage his innings pretty carefully.

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Am I correct that the GCL Reds will have Yorman and Duran as well? That's um, one heckuva an athletic team with Hamilton joining them...

Don't forget Juan Silva, the toolsy Puerto Rican. He looked very good in his scouting video and was rated the top player in the Puerto Rico baseball academy (though Reymond Fuentes didn't attend). Other position players of note include Carter Morrison, the toolsy outfielder from Canada who signed late last year for an over-slot bonus; Anyelo Polanco, a SS from the DR who signed for $300,000 (he's not on the DSL Reds so I assume he'll play in the GCL); catcher Tucker Barnhart if he signs; and maybe Deven Marrero or Stephen Perez if one of them sign. That team is going to be interesting to follow.

lollipopcurve
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeah - could be the most interesting GCL team in a while -- by a mile.

GIDP
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Didnt expect Hamilton to sign already.

princeton
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Serrano takes early lead toward quickest to the majors.

but Reds do well in Texas. You go, Donnie Joseph.

Joseph
06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
List has been updated.

fearofpopvol1
06-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow, that's great. I thought Hamilton would sign anyway, but didn't realize it would be this quickly or easier. Any guess on what he got?

dougdirt
06-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Wow, that's great. I thought Hamilton would sign anyway, but didn't realize it would be this quickly or easier. Any guess on what he got?

Slot money is roughly $600-700,000.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2009, 04:08 AM
12th rounder Josh Garton has signed...

Reason to root

... for outfielder Josh Garton to make it. The 12th-round pick, who signed with the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday, was in Guelph with his brother, John, when he was drafted on Wednesday. Sister Brittany, 19, was given special permission to take a cell phone into class.

"When her phone went off at school she screamed the news to the whole class," Garton said.

Brittany attends the W. Ross Macdonald School for the Blind in Brantford after losing her sight at seven months old. She hopes to get a seeing-eye dog soon.

Garton has his sister's name tattooed on his arm ... in braille.

Another reason

Done with his interview, the reporter says thanks and is about to hang up.

"Can I thank you for giving me all those good advertisements, you know, write-ups in your paper," Garton said.

Well, you did hit those 16 homers.

"That's a lie," Garton said.

A lie? You didn't hit 16?

"Naw, they stopped updating the website when the regular season ended," Garton said politely, "counting post- season, I hit 20."

Go get 'em, kid.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2009/06/13/9787341-sun.html

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2009, 04:11 AM
South Forsyth catcher Chase Fowler was chosen by the Cincinnati Reds in the 16th round. Despite a commitment to attend the University of Southern Mississippi in the fall, the relatively high pick has caused the recent high school graduate to re-evaulate his future, according to his father, Tom Fowler. He had not made a decision at press time.

Brian Adams, recently graduated from South Forsyth, will pursue his plans to play football at the University of Kentucky, declining a 45th-round pick by Cincinnati.

http://sports.forsythnews.com/prep-sports/article/311/

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2009, 04:16 AM
Grayson's current first baseman, sophomore David Stewart, grew up a Cardinals' fan in St. Louis but wound up as the 659th overall pick in the 22nd round by the rival Cincinnati Reds.

Stewart (6-5, 225) hit .326 for the Vikings in 2009 with 13 home runs and 49 RBIs along with 41 runs and 47 hits (11 of them doubles). The University of Nebraska transfer, who has committed to Dallas Baptist, was a solid contact hitter, striking out only 33 times in 144 plate appearances.

"A lot of it is going to come down to money, because it's harder to negotiate when you're picked in the later rounds," Stewart said. "I have a really good feeling about Dallas Baptist and would be more than comfortable going there."

Stewart said he's 75 percent sure he will enter his third year of college and credits coach Dusty Hart for helping him keep his game at a high level.

http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/Sports/06-14-grayson-county-college-draftees

Benihana
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah - could be the most interesting GCL team in a while -- by a mile.

Dayton could be very interesting next year. Would certainly make up for this season's debacle.

OesterPoster
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
12th rounder Josh Garton has signed...

Reason to root

... for outfielder Josh Garton to make it. The 12th-round pick, who signed with the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday, was in Guelph with his brother, John, when he was drafted on Wednesday. Sister Brittany, 19, was given special permission to take a cell phone into class.

"When her phone went off at school she screamed the news to the whole class," Garton said.

Brittany attends the W. Ross Macdonald School for the Blind in Brantford after losing her sight at seven months old. She hopes to get a seeing-eye dog soon.

Garton has his sister's name tattooed on his arm ... in braille.

Another reason

Done with his interview, the reporter says thanks and is about to hang up.

"Can I thank you for giving me all those good advertisements, you know, write-ups in your paper," Garton said.

"Naw, they stopped updating the website when the regular season ended," Garton said politely, "counting post- season, I hit 20."

Go get 'em, kid.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2009/06/13/9787341-sun.html

I really like this kid. I read another pre-draft article about him yesterday, and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. It sounds like he was going to get drafted by about 5 or 6 other teams, but the Reds had a scout go watch a private workout by Garton and jumped on the chance to grab him. I love these unheralded Canadian kids who seem to fly under the radar. :thumbup:

princeton
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM

that's a strange, egocentric way to put it. "that's a lie."

lots of strange, egocentric guys have been great hitters: Wade Boggs, Rickey, Barry Bonds. Reds should teach him to speak in the third person :thumbup:

UKFlounder
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
UKFlounder agrees with you.

that's a strange, egocentric way to put it. "that's a lie."

lots of strange, egocentric guys have been great hitters: Wade Boggs, Rickey, Barry Bonds. Reds should teach him to speak in the third person :thumbup:

Slyder
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Unusual for Reds to send a sixth round pick to Dayton. Serrano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGgSpg6nwww

Whys this come to mind anyone with a similar name :D.

Degenerate39
06-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Who is that? Wily Mo Pena? ;)

RED VAN HOT
06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Is it a sure thing that the Reds will use Jamie Walczak as a RHP? He has played CF for Mercyhurst for the past three years where he has amassed good stats. His average is in the .350 range, OPS over .900, power numbers have been steadily improving, and his stolen base percent has been around .80. He was used as a closer in his senior year, but he came in from CF to do it. I conjecture that it was because he had a cannon that was hard to catch up to in the late innings. He seems like a good all athlete. At 6-2, 190, with incipient power, I suspect he could begin in CF and later transition to a corner. Unless he throws over a 100, it seems to me that it would be wise to look at him first as an outfielder.

redsmetz
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Is it a sure thing that the Reds will use Jamie Walczak as a RHP?

When I was listening to the draft, clubs would say something like, "We want him to be listed as..." and then state a position or a pitcher and such. So my guess is that's how the Reds selected him. Of course, you can always change course (such as happened with Hoffman). I remember there was some question with Austin Kearns when he first was drafted that he could go either way, but we drafted him as an OF'er.

Blue
06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

That breaking ball was NASTY! I think it was a "swoop-and-swap".

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 02:38 AM
Earlier in the day, there was an indication a new player would be arriving shortly, and that may happen, but it isn’t certain.

Last week was Major League Baseball’s amateur draft, and the Reds have been busy signing draftees ever since. One of them, sixth-round pick Mark Serrano of Oral Roberts University, would be assigned to the Dragons, an e-mail from the Reds informed.

“He’s one guy we’re considering sending there,” said Reds Director of Development Terry Reynolds. “But he’ll do a minicamp in Billings, Mont., first. There are 3-4 pitchers we would consider sending to Dayton, but that decision hasn’t been made yet.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-beat-rain-lansing-166113.html

RedLegsToday
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Is Chase Fowler related to Dexter Fowler of the Rockies?

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 01:49 PM

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/CHASEFOWLER11_12150.JPG
Chase Fowler

http://hawkfantasysports.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dexter-fowler.jpg
Dexter Fowler

Not only are they brothers, they're twins. ;)

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Probably not. One's white, the other's black. Although they both come from Georgia, so I guess it's a possibility.

dougdirt
06-17-2009, 10:47 PM
According to two separate guys on my site, Tucker Barnhart was on an Indianapolis radio show this afternoon and said he would be signing with the Reds. :thumbup:

fearofpopvol1
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
According to two separate guys on my site, Tucker Barnhart was on an Indianapolis radio show this afternoon and said he would be signing with the Reds. :thumbup:

That would be HUGE! He's 1 of my favorite picks of the whole draft. Having grown up in Indiana, I have a soft spot for players from there. My dad has told me that this kid has it and that there is all sorts of press locally on how great of a player and talent he is.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Man I hope that's true. This could turn out to be an excellent draft if the Reds sign guys like Barnhart and one of Marrero/Perez.

RED VAN HOT
06-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Not sure where this goes, but I noticed that the Reds signed an undrafted player, Chase Ware.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/Chase-Ware.shtml

indy_dave00
06-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Tucker Barnhart was on WNDE Sports talk today , he did indeed say he was going to sign. Said since the draft he has been keeping close tabs on the Reds ,and is ready to get started on his pro career.

He has talked with the area scout and signed papers today giving a representative permission to work out a deal.

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Barnhart expects to sign with Reds
Posted by Patrick Dorsey

It's not official yet, but Brownsburg standout baseball player Tucker Barnhart -- a Georgia Tech signee who was drafted in the 10th round (299th overall) last week by the Cincinnati Reds -- said Wednesday that he plans to sign a contract and start his pro career as quickly as possible.

"Playing professional baseball has always been my dream," Barnhart said. "I sat down, and I talked to my family and we just felt that it was the best time to do that.

"My take on it is college is always going to be there. The opportunity to get an education is always going to be there, regardless of (whether) I play baseball now professionally, or if I play in three years professionally."

Barnhart expects the signing to take place later this month or in early July, since his deal is above-slot (he was "not exactly sure" of a dollar figure but said it was third- or fourth-round money) and therefore must be approved by the Major League Baseball commissioner's office.

After that, Barnhart likely will head to the Reds' Low-A affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. He said he will remain at catcher, at least for now.

He also said he hasn't envisioned his MLB debut just yet, although he hopes it comes in the uniform of the (semi) local team.

"I'd sure like to make it at home for the Cincinnati Reds," Barnhart said. "That would be awesome."

Former teammate Drew Storen also was drafted, going 10th overall to the Washington Nationals and signing a day later.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/2009/06/barnhart_expect.html

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Moranda also said recruit Derrick Lowery (24th round, Cincinnati) will turn pro. Not counting Lowery, 10 Catamounts have been drafted over the last three years.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/2009906130325

lollipopcurve
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Great news on Barnhart. Very glad the team is out there offering above-slot to get some of these kids signed early, not just at the deadline. I'm hoping they get Perez next.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sure if the commissioner's office would approve the Fairel and Sulbaran signings (above slot), I'm sure they will have no problem with Barnhart.

Bumstead
06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure it really has to be 'approved' by the commissioners office as much as it has to be 'filed' with the commissioner's office. I believe there are a certain procedures that must be followed if a player is signed above slot, but I don't believe that the commissioner's office can do much about it as long as all the procedures are followed...except complain I guess. ;)

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2009, 01:45 AM
The following players have been signed:

Chris Richburg, 23rd round
Derrick Lowery, 24th round
Vernon Manz, 26th round
William Stramp, 33rd round

Edd Roush
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Vernon Manz, 26th round

OBM or Doug or whoever, which of these guys has the highest cieling? Any way any of these guys make it to the bigs?

medford
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Will the UNC catcher sign shortly now that his season is over? I wonder where they'd assign him, Billings I'd assume

Benihana
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Will the UNC catcher sign shortly now that his season is over? I wonder where they'd assign him, Billings I'd assume

I was hoping Fleury and Boxberger (and maybe Fellhauser) would join Serrano in Dayton. Everyone else (except Leake) can go to Rookie ball.

princeton
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Vernon Manz, 26th round

Oh-Shoot-The-Billings-Season-Starts-WHEN??!! signings

corkedbat
06-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Would've thought they'd have had at least a dozne more signed by now - have them in place for a couple of workouts before the games start.

redsfandan
06-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Instead of a dozen they have 16 signed after a week and a half. Once the college teams stop playing the pace should start to, hopefully, pick up a little.

corkedbat
06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Instead of a dozen they have 16 signed after a week and a half. Once the college teams stop playing the pace should start to, hopefully, pick up a little.

I meant about a dozen more - as in about 25-27 in the mid-to-late rounds

dougdirt
06-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I meant about a dozen more - as in about 25-27 in the mid-to-late rounds

They will probably only sign about 30 guys total.

camisadelgolf
06-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I believe the Reds signed 34 of their picks from last year.

Caveat Emperor
06-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Heard from my friend at work that Thomas Nurre (38th round out of Miami Ohio / St. X HS) signed this week.

George Anderson
06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Barnhart expects to sign with Reds
Posted by Patrick Dorsey

It's not official yet, but Brownsburg standout baseball player Tucker Barnhart -- a Georgia Tech signee who was drafted in the 10th round (299th overall) last week by the Cincinnati Reds -- said Wednesday that he plans to sign a contract and start his pro career as quickly as possible.

"Playing professional baseball has always been my dream," Barnhart said. "I sat down, and I talked to my family and we just felt that it was the best time to do that.

"My take on it is college is always going to be there. The opportunity to get an education is always going to be there, regardless of (whether) I play baseball now professionally, or if I play in three years professionally."

Barnhart expects the signing to take place later this month or in early July, since his deal is above-slot (he was "not exactly sure" of a dollar figure but said it was third- or fourth-round money) and therefore must be approved by the Major League Baseball commissioner's office.

After that, Barnhart likely will head to the Reds' Low-A affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. He said he will remain at catcher, at least for now.

He also said he hasn't envisioned his MLB debut just yet, although he hopes it comes in the uniform of the (semi) local team.

"I'd sure like to make it at home for the Cincinnati Reds," Barnhart said. "That would be awesome."

Former teammate Drew Storen also was drafted, going 10th overall to the Washington Nationals and signing a day later.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/2009/06/barnhart_expect.html

I'm very suprised.

I was told by his HS coach that unless he was drafted by the 6th round that he was going to go to Georgia Tech.

I've seen him play first hand, he is a gamer!

Benihana
06-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm very suprised.

I was told by his HS coach that unless he was drafted by the 6th round that he was going to go to Georgia Tech.

If he's getting third or fourth round money, who cares where he was actually drafted?

I like this pick. Send him to the GCL and Fleury to Dayton (if he signs in the next couple weeks.) All of a sudden the catching depth is looking a little better, at least in the lower minors.

George Anderson
06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
If he's getting third or fourth round money, who cares where he was actually drafted?

I like this pick. Send him to the GCL and Fleury to Dayton (if he signs in the next couple weeks.) All of a sudden the catching depth is looking a little better, at least in the lower minors.

I'm suprised the Reds gave him third or fourth round money.

I am far from a MLB draft expert, but I kinda thought giving a 10th round pick third or fourth round money would be outta the norm, especially for a tight fisted organization like the Reds.

tripleaaaron
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM

I am far from a MLB draft expert, but I kinda thought giving a 10th round pick third or fourth round money would be outta the norm, especially for a tight fisted organization like the Reds.

This is not the NFL draft, players are drafted all over the place in terms of talent. Just because he was a 10th round selection does not make him a 10th round talent. So no, it is not uncommon for lower budget teams to give bigger money in the later rounds, in fact it is quite common.

dougdirt
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM

I think you have the wrong idea on the Reds and how they spend on development. The Reds over the last year and a half at least have really spent on signing players.

RED VAN HOT
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Baseball America is carrying Oliver Santos, Thomas Nurre, and Blair Carson as signed.

Boss-Hog
06-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Baseball America is carrying Oliver Santos, Thomas Nurre, and Blair Carson as signed.
I updated the original post...thanks.

Blitz Dorsey
06-23-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm very suprised.

Wow, this is huge. It's like getting an extra third or fourth round pick instead of a 10th-rounder. And my goodness we need catching depth.

Degenerate39
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Has there been any word on Leake and how much he wants?

corkedbat
06-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Has there been any word on Leake and how much he wants?

I wouldn't think they'd be in too much of a hurry with Leake. Since he went deep into the College World Series and vecause of the tendonitis issue, I'd be surprised if he throws a competitive pitc before Instructional League (if then - probably more like next spring.

I'd think there's a decent chance they shut him down and start him on a rehab/strengthening program doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or mid-August I'd also think they'd want to be sure there's not more too it than just tendonitis. I think they still sign him, but with another pick in the same spot next year, it's not a given.

I liked the Leake signing compared to what was available(and still do), but I kinda get the idea that he might be more of a mid-first pick in richer years. Not saying I don't want him signed - I do. I think he's a low risk prospect and should be a mid-rotation starter sooner rather than later. Just saying that I won't be cursing the front office if they take the pick next year - especially if they made another big splash in the Latin Market.

princeton
06-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow, this is huge. It's like getting an extra third or fourth round pick instead of a 10th-rounder. And my goodness we need catching depth.

as far as I can tell, it's more like overspending on a 10th rd talent.

but it does make sense. team has so little catching

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
as far as I can tell, it's more like overspending on a 10th rd talent.

but it does make sense. team has so little catching

Overspending how? If not an elite high school talent...he's very well above average.

princeton
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Overspending how? If not an elite high school talent.

sounds like he told teams that he'd sign for 5th or 6th round money. teams like to draft a guy who's asking for slot. since nobody drafted him that high, I suspect that he's doesn't project as a 5/6 round talent. His video supports that suspicion.

so, my guess is that Reds took a flyer on a very young player, hoping that he'd improve a lot more than it looks like he will, even though they would be forced to over-pay him. given the Reds' problem at that position, it's probably worth the gamble.

he looks a bit like Castillo to me. not quite any position.

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Where did you see that he told teams he would sign for 5th/6th round money? Barnhart was generally ranked as one of the top 10-15 catchers in the draft.

BRM
06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Where did you see that he told teams he would sign for 5th/6th round money? Barnhart was generally ranked as one of the top 10-15 catchers in the draft.

I thought I read an article that claimed he would only sign if taken in the first 6 rounds. Hence the 5th/6th round money comment.

redhawk61
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
sounds like he told teams that he'd sign for 5th or 6th round money. teams like to draft a guy who's asking for slot. since nobody drafted him that high, I suspect that he's doesn't project as a 5/6 round talent. His video supports that suspicion.

so, my guess is that Reds took a flyer on a very young player, hoping that he'd improve a lot more than it looks like he will, even though they would be forced to over-pay him. given the Reds' problem at that position, it's probably worth the gamble.

Let's keep some optimism about the guy and compare him to Biggio rather than Castillo ;)

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I thought I read an article that claimed he would only sign if taken in the first 6 rounds. Hence the 5th/6th round money comment.

Sure, I read that too, but I heard he still wanted 3rd/4th money even if draft there.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
versatility is good -- if Barnhart becomes a guy who can catch and play elsewhere, plus switch hit, so long as the stick is decent he'll be a good prospect

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM

I haven't seen him play myself, but I've talked to some that have and was told that he looked very good for a high school guy.

redsof72
06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Brian Pearl is not listed as signed (as of now) but he is listed on the Billings roster. 9th round pick.

Would like to see Fellhauer signed and sent to play center field in Dayton.

Benihana
06-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Would like to see Fellhauer signed and sent to play center field in Dayton.

Agreed, although I wonder which one profiles better defensively between Sappelt and Fellhauer. I'm curious- who do you see as having the brightest future between Brown, Sappelt, Fellhauer, Wiley, Means, and Reed?

redsof72
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Have not seen Fellhauer. Sappelt will have to play left field due to lack of arm strength. Tough for me to see him going higher than Double-A, but he might surprise. Great range in the outfield. Very poor base runner. Average Midwest League bat. Brown at this point simply is too weak defensively to consider. He turns every fly ball into an adventure. He is strictly a DH right now. Wiley just has not hit enough for a guy that also is limited to strictly LF/DH. Reed is a tremendous athlete who can play center field. Don't write him off. Means is interesting. Give him time to get into baseball shape and then evaluate. He is a physical freak with the size/speed ratio. He needs to get his body into baseball condition and then he might show some things. Right now his swing is too stiff due to lack of flexibility because he has bulked up for football.

Benihana
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Have not seen Fellhauer. Sappelt will have to play left field due to lack of arm strength. Tough for me to see him going higher than Double-A, but he might surprise. Great range in the outfield. Very poor base runner. Average Midwest League bat. Brown at this point simply is too weak defensively to consider. He turns every fly ball into an adventure. He is strictly a DH right now. Wiley just has not hit enough for a guy that also is limited to strictly LF/DH. Reed is a tremendous athlete who can play center field. Don't write him off. Means is interesting. Give him time to get into baseball shape and then evaluate. He is a physical freak with the size/speed ratio. He needs to get his body into baseball condition and then he might show some things. Right now his swing is too stiff due to lack of flexibility because he has bulked up for football.

Good info, thanks.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM

I haven't seen Fellhauer myself either but judging from the scouting reports and seeing Sappelt play I'd give the edge to Fellhauer. Just feel like the odds are more against a short guy like Sappelt (think Danny Ray but more muscular). But I do believe he has enough talent to be a 25th man/5th OF type. Sort of like a Norris Hopper type with a smidge more pop and less contact ability. He needs to do some serious polishing of his skills though.

icehole3
06-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Saw Fellhauer in the College WS, he's a Chris Heisey type player, CF great speed, good glove, batting in the 3 hole for CSF.

redsof72
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Sappelt has some talent but I think he is going to be one of those guys who looked best in Billings. Scouts say his swing will get exposed as he faces better pitching. The thing I like most about him is his range in the outfield. The thing I like least is he obviously plays for his own stats (ie: stealing third when trailing by six runs when the defense is not really holding him...yet when you need him to steal second in a one-run game, he gets thrown out. The stolen base he got when the opponent was basically conceding the base looks the same in the stats and he is trying to build his stats). He has gotten thrown out on the bases so many times this season when he should not have even been running that you wonder why it has been tolerated.

mac624
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
GCL roster now showing Silva and Gonzalez on the roster, so our 9th and 30th rounders have inked. Gonazalez will be interesting to watch as he put up some insane hitting #s in JUCO ball.

Benihana
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
GCL roster now showing Silva and Gonzalez on the roster, so our 9th and 30th rounders have inked. Gonazalez will be interesting to watch as he put up some insane hitting #s in JUCO ball.

I wonder how Silva is going to get much PT in that stacked OF that already boasts Yorman, Duran, Morrison, and Bowe?

mac624
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
OF rotation. Silva known for plus speed and defense, but the hitting is well behind those. At least the Reds are stacked with athletes all over the place on that team at just about every position.

dougdirt
06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
OF rotation. Silva known for plus speed and defense, but the hitting is well behind those. At least the Reds are stacked with athletes all over the place on that team at just about every position.

Plus they can take advantage of the DH. Silva has a good looking BP swing. Hopefully the coaches can work with him and they can get it working well in games.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I like Juan Silva a lot. Good to see him in the fold.

OesterPoster
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Saw this little blurb about Tim Crabbe on a Cali web site:

http://presidiosports.com/2009/06/workman-puts-in-work-on-first-day-foresters-win-4-3/

NOTES: Tim Crabbe, who pitched for Westmont and the Foresters, signed a contract with the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday and will head out to play for their rookie-level club in Billings, Montana on Friday. Foresters shortstop Michael Liberto will head back home to Louisiana for surgery after being diagnosed with a torn labrum. He will be out for the rest of the summer.

SirFelixCat
06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
OBM, can you update the first post to reflect the recent signings, please? Thanks and keep up the great job down here on the ole Farm!

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
OBM, can you update the first post to reflect the recent signings, please? Thanks and keep up the great job down here on the ole Farm!

I can no longer edit that post. A mod will have to do it.

Joseph
06-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Anyone got a quick list of updates, I'll change the first post if you do.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2009, 06:05 PM
1. Mike Leake, RHP ASU
19. Mitchell Clarke LHP Forrest Hts Collegiate Inst. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (HS)
UD Chase Ware RHP Ole Miss

Someone said they saw 9th rounder Brian Pearl showing up on the Billings roster but he's not on there now.

Joseph
06-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Updated

SirFelixCat
06-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, fellas.

Benihana
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd like to get guys like Mark Fleury and Tucker Barnhardt signed and playing this summer. If Fleury is someone that could get to the show quickly, why not sign him and send him to Dayton right now? Ditto for Fellhauer.

I can understand waiting on the pitchers, as their innings are likely to be capped this year anyway. But there is no reason to put off signing position players drafted after the 3rd round.

13 in hall
06-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Fleury just signed headed to Billings. Saw it on Insidecarolina.com

corkedbat
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Great news! Fleury is one of the ones I most wanted to see signed. Considering how many catchers we've drafted (and a couple of holdovers from last year, I'd like to see Fleury's stay in Billings a short one if all goes well. With his college experience, I wouldn't mind him seeing some time in Dayton.

Kc61
06-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Brian Pearl pitched for Billings tonight. No. 9 pick of the Reds. I guess he signed too.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2009, 03:15 AM
i wonder how many more players the Reds will sign. they're already up to 24 and they haven't signed the first 2 picks yet. i'm really hoping for barnhardt (who seems likely) but i'm really intrigued by perez and marerro (who i think the reds need to sign).

Az. Reds Fan
06-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Just for comparison sake, last year the Reds signed 27 of their top 30 picks and 30 of 35 (35 of 50 total). They've got a ways to go to get there this year.

urdun
06-28-2009, 05:37 AM

Good catch. Here's a good read on him from them.

By Matt Clements
Inside Carolina
Posted Jun 27, 2009

Mark Fleury has signed with the Cincinnati Reds, who drafted him in the 4th round. Inside Carolina caught up with the Tar Heel catcher before he departed for Montana to start his professional career with the Billings Mustangs.

How did you find out you were drafted?
"We had a couple of guys there early who needed to throw bullpen, so I just came down there early and was hanging out. I was sitting back there in the equipment room and came outside and was talking with Coach Forbes for a little bit -- if I heard anything, what I was thinking and what he was thinking. Then I walked back to the locker room and I did not even know the second day [of the draft] had started yet and Nate Yarbrough - our equipment guy - stated that, 'Hey, I just heard your name.' I replied, 'Shut up Nate," just trying to mess around with him. He said, 'You're Mark Fluery - they just picked you!"

What was your reaction when you found out you were drafted by the Reds?
"I was excited. I was excited and really happy and it was fun. It meant a lot to me that my teammates where there and I could share that with them."

How’d you transition from coming back from the College World Series to signing with the Reds?
"I came back and had to wind down from all that - I don't know, traveling I guess. I hung out in Chapel Hill for a couple of days. I started getting my stuff packed up in my apartment and cleaning out the locker room and saying goodbye to the guys for summer. I called [the Reds] and we worked something out and on my way back home I stopped in Charlotte and signed the papers."

What advantages do you see signing early as compared to waiting until the deadline at August 17th?
"I want to get back out there and play. That is the most important thing for me. I don't want to sit around. I went out and watched some baseball games the past couple days - I went out and watched the summer league games in East Cobb - and I am itching to get back out on the field."

What are the Reds’ plans for you.
"I will be going to short season in Billings, Montana. That is exciting and it will be a new experience. I have never been to that part of the country and I will get to travel there and see the sights if I ever have the time."

How do you feel that your experience at the University of North Carolina prepared you for your professional baseball career?
"I just think from day one when I stepped foot on campus that everyday I got better. That is a tribute to how hard our coaches work with us and not only develop us as baseball players but as people. That is the down side - I get to live my dream and start that but I have to close the book on playing Carolina Baseball. That is the hardest part because I love it - I love playing it and it was the best three years of my life. I sent an e-mail to all of the guys the other day thanking them for everything and letting them know that I will be around watching them. For a first class education and a first class facility, I can see why Carolina is going to be just fine."

What is the highlight of your college career?
"Wow, that is tough. It is tough to top the Miami walk-off win. My home run against Wilmington last year in the regionals in Cary... the highlight of my college career has to be catching Alex White's one hitter against Miami that Friday night game. Being a part of that was unbelievable."

What goals do you have for your professional career?
"Get better and work hard. Obviously I want to play in the Major Leagues. I want to work hard and play the game hard and see what happens."

13 in hall
06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Jacob Johnson 11th rd. signed. Said no to Wake Forrest to sign good in my opinion. Says he's headed to Sarasota? Found this on the sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-briefs-dix-track. Hope it links not to computer savy. Sorry

dougdirt
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Jacob Johnson 11th rd. signed. Said no to Wake Forrest to sign good in my opinion. Says he's headed to Sarasota? Found this on the sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-briefs-dix-track. Hope it links not to computer savy. Sorry

I got your back!
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-briefs-dix-track-s062709sbjun27,0,1930654.story

corkedbat
06-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I'd love to see us fill out the Top 20. Of those picks not signed, Nick christian out of Vandy is the one I've heard the least about. Anyone know much about him? Can he return to Vandy? Is he a Junior or Senior?

11larkin11
06-29-2009, 01:34 AM

Yea, it says Sarasota for the rookie league team. He'll play for the GCL

13 in hall
06-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks DougDirt and Larkin11. Much appreciated.

OesterPoster
06-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I'd love to see us fill out the Top 20. Of those picks not signed, Nick christian out of Vandy is the one I've heard the least about. Anyone know much about him? Can he return to Vandy? Is he a Junior or Senior?

Christiani was a senior and has no college eligibility remaining.

"Senior right hander Nick Christiani was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the 13th round (389 overall). Christiani's college eligibility had expired, so it was a foregone conclusion that the four-year starter from New Jersey was set to enter the pro ranks."

mound_patrol
06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Do we know anything about Marrerro or Perez? We close to signing either of these guys? I would love to sign both and hope that one of the two can turn into something useful.

Benihana
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Do we know anything about Marrerro or Perez? We close to signing either of these guys? I would love to sign both and hope that one of the two can turn into something useful.

I'd be surprised if either one ends up signing.

corkedbat
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I'd be surprised if either one ends up signing.

I think it's likely they drafted both to sign at least one. I could see them signing neither if they end up successfully throwing some money at Sano in at the International deadline. If not, I see them putting an early-round money push on to sign either Morreno or Perez.

NorrisHopper30
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Marrero asked Perez on facebook if he was signing and he said "idk yet dude but i doubt it. are you?"

RED VAN HOT
06-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Marrero asked Perez on facebook if he was signing and he said "idk yet dude but i doubt it. are you?"

It sounds like it will be one or the other, but not both. They are gauging the competition. If Marrero didn't want to sign, he would not be asking Perez. Both are mindful that the Reds have already signed 3 SS's with another one still out there. Whoever signs faces competition with Hamilton anyway.

I think the same situation exists with catcher. The Reds have already signed 3. Either Tucker or Fowler is likely to sign, but not both.

Then again, I may have been punk'd by NorrisHopper30.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 02:16 PM
It sounds like it will be one or the other, but not both. They are gauging the competition. If Marrero didn't want to sign, he would not be asking Perez. Both are mindful that the Reds have already signed 3 SS's with another one still out there. Whoever signs faces competition with Hamilton anyway.

Disagree. The two guys played together (against each other) in Miami. They could simply be asking each other out of curiosity. I still doubt either signs, but if they do, I would think they'd be in competition more with Arias/Solanco than Hamilton. By the time they sign, Hamilton could be in Billings if he keeps hitting like this. Next year, he (Hamilton) could start in Dayton.

RED VAN HOT
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Disagree. The two guys played together (against each other) in Miami. They could simply be asking each other out of curiosity. I still doubt either signs, but if they do, I would think they'd be in competition more with Arias/Solanco than Hamilton. By the time they sign, Hamilton could be in Billings if he keeps hitting like this. Next year, he (Hamilton) could start in Dayton.

Yeah, you may be right...pure speculation on my part. I don't know how 18 year olds think. If it were me, I would size up the competition and weigh my chances against a college career and potentially better bonus down the line.

Mario-Rijo
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, you may be right...pure speculation on my part. I don't know how 18 year olds think. If it were me, I would size up the competition and weigh my chances against a college career and potentially better bonus down the line.

Could be curiosity, could be leverage. If they are communicating with each other that can't be good for Bob's wallet. I'd love to see both of them signed, they are both outstanding talents. That said if I had to choose give me Marrero he isn't gonna move off of SS and he has the higher ceiling. Perez has the more advanced bat and is a gem himself but Marrero just has superstar quality talent.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
My guess is if the Reds end up signing the Venezuelan SS Humberto Valor, that will end talk of either Marrero or Perez signing, especially when you consider Hamilton, Arias, Solanco, and now Valor would all be SS in the 16 to 18 year-old range.

Doc. Scott
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Surprised no one's noted the other NDFA signing the Reds have made- University of Louisville shortstop John Dao. He's been starting quite a bit at Billings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/John-Dao.shtml

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=SS&sid=t513&t=p_pbp&pid=573623

Benihana
06-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Surprised no one's noted the other NDFA signing the Reds have made- University of Louisville shortstop John Dao. He's been starting quite a bit at Billings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/John-Dao.shtml

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=SS&sid=t513&t=p_pbp&pid=573623

There ya go. That makes four SS on the depth chart before you even get to Dayton. I would think they may have room for one more between Valor, Marrero and Perez but that's probably it.

Doc. Scott
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I doubt Dao is going to stick around long unless he puts up some digits- he's 23 and a half already.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I doubt Dao is going to stick around long unless he puts up some digits- he's 23 and a half already.

I'm thinking as much in terms of signing money as I am playing time/future in the organization.

mac624
07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Good LH pitching prospect

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/article/180074

mac624
07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I talked with a friend last night that knows Mitch's family and they claim they are waiting on acceptance from the Commissioner's office to validate the contract that Mitch has signed. Apparantly it's for mid 3rd round money (whatever that is), and they've been waiting now for almost 2 weeks.

Take it for what it's all worth, but hopefully, that paperwork will get through quickly and get him going to GCL for the rest of the summer.

redsfandan
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe the commissioner's office is swamped with contracts from all the draft picks. :dunno:

Az. Reds Fan
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
A nice article on Perez and Marrero, sounds like Perez is going to take a bit longer to develop than Marrero. I also feel as though both these guys are going to be real tough signs, and we'll be lucky to get one signed.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=1312

Mario-Rijo
07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
A nice article on Perez and Marrero, sounds like Perez is going to take a bit longer to develop than Marrero. I also feel as though both these guys are going to be real tough signs, and we'll be lucky to get one signed.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=1312

Good stuff Az, think i'll add that piece to the draft profile page.

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2009, 02:51 AM
According to Redsof72, 7th rounder Josh Fellhauer has signed and will report to Dayton.

icehole3
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
According to Redsof72, 7th rounder Josh Fellhauer has signed and will report to Dayton.

great signing, another 3 hole basher with great OF defense, great signing

OesterPoster
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Article with a brief mention on Valaika. Also saw in a previous article at the same site that Valaika rejected the Reds' first offer, mainly because it did not include a provision for college tuition.

http://presidiosports.com/2009/07/valaika-hollands-are-only-gauchos-not-signed-to-mlb-deals/

fearofpopvol1
07-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Outside of the top 2 picks, Barnhardt, Perez and Marerro, who are the remaining picks that the Reds should be aggressively pursuing?

Mario-Rijo
07-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Outside of the top 2 picks, Barnhardt, Perez and Marerro, who are the remaining picks that the Reds should be aggressively pursuing?

Tuttle (5th), Chase Fowler (16th), Matt Valaika (20th), Michael Monster (25th), Darion Hamilton (49th) are some of the ones I want to see signed with those 1st 2 guys as guys we need to be aggressive with. Beyond that I am not sure. Maybe Reed and Stewart (21,22) as well.

OnBaseMachine
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Seventh-round draft choice Josh Fellhauer, an outfielder on Cal State-Fullerton’s College World Series team, joined the Dragons after signing his first contract earlier in the day and undergoing a physical.

Benzinger wanted to give Fellhauer a chance to get acclimated and will probably start him for the first time tonight at West Michigan. Benzinger said he would have used him as a pinch runner in the ninth if the Dragons put anyone on base.

Fellhauer took the place of outfielder Dave Sappelt, who was promoted to Sarasota, while two other Dragons also were unavailable. Outfielder Byron Wiley missed a second straight game with a broken nose, while third baseman Carlos Mendez sat out with a sore left wrist. Both are day-to-day.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-trails-early-lose-189551.html

fearofpopvol1
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Tuttle (5th), Chase Fowler (16th), Matt Valaika (20th), Michael Monster (25th), Darion Hamilton (49th) are some of the ones I want to see signed with those 1st 2 guys as guys we need to be aggressive with. Beyond that I am not sure. Maybe Reed and Stewart (21,22) as well.

I figured Tuttle would probably make that list. I'm sure Hamilton is a longshot. Fowler should get a good look and I like Monster too. You'd think Valaika would sign. But from what I've heard about Matt Valaika, I heard he's not supposed to be as good as his brother? Maybe that's incorrect.

dougdirt
07-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I figured Tuttle would probably make that list. I'm sure Hamilton is a longshot. Fowler should get a good look and I like Monster too. You'd think Valaika would sign. But from what I've heard about Matt Valaika, I heard he's not supposed to be as good as his brother? Maybe that's incorrect.

I wouldn't think Matt would be expected to be as good as Chris. Chris went in the 3rd round and obviously was expected to be a solid prospect.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Infielder Thomas Nurre was added to the Mustangs' roster on Saturday. Nurre was a 38th-round draft choice from Miami (Ohio) in the June draft.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/article_3678a806-691d-11de-96e1-001cc4c002e0.html

Blitz Dorsey
07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, just the fact that Chris Valaika was taken 17 rounds ahead of his younger brother (and has put up good overall stats in his minor league career) makes it pretty obvious who the better player is/will be. I'm surprised Matt Valaika is trying to play hardball here with the negotiations. 20th-round picks don't have much leverage (at least not in this case).

JaxRed
07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
He has leverage in that he's a junior.

medford
07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, just the fact that Chris Valaika was taken 17 rounds ahead of his younger brother (and has put up good overall stats in his minor league career) makes it pretty obvious who the better player is/will be. I'm surprised Matt Valaika is trying to play hardball here with the negotiations. 20th-round picks don't have much leverage (at least not in this case).

How much is Valaika's scholarship worth? Including books, room & board, meal money, and other tangible assests of that scholarship, not to mention the equipment, training time, recognition on campus, chicks, etc..that come w/ being a college athlete? Lets just throw a number out there and say all that is worth approx 30k. Sure he's a 20th rounder, but if he comes back for his senior season, whats the worst he falls to? 40th round w/ no leverage? What is the average difference b/w a 20th round signing bonus and a 40th round signing bonus? Is it worth more than a scholarship to college? If he's smart, he realizes he odds of making the majors as a 20th rounder are pretty small. If he goes to the minors right now, he ties himself up for the next 5-6 seasons of his life before he figures out he'll never make the big time, and much of that time will be spent making less than he could make w/ a college degree. 5-6 years later and its much more difficult to get back into "school" mode.

I have no idea what kind of student he is, nor what value he places on an education. Some kids simply don't care, nor worry about it. If it was me, and my son was a college Junior drafted in the 20th round, I'd want to make darn sure that college education was going to be completed on somebody else's nickel, otherwise come back for a senior year and potentially get drafted a few rounds higher.

RED VAN HOT
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I suspect that most players don't appreciate the odds against making the majors. Matt Valaika probably has some pretty good input from his brother. Further, with Chris having been moved to 2B recently, it seems to make any dream of playing together in the same ML infield even more remote.

Benihana
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I think the Valor signing crushes hope of a Marrero or Perez signing. Oh well...

dougdirt
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I think the Valor signing crushes hope of a Marrero or Perez signing. Oh well...

I don't know why you have that impression. The Reds went into this spring with X amount of dollars set for the international side of things and X amount of dollars for the draft. The draft also took place well before they knew they were going to get Valor. They took those guys hoping to sign them and at the same time they were certainly talking to Valor about signing him.

Benihana
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know why you have that impression. The Reds went into this spring with X amount of dollars set for the international side of things and X amount of dollars for the draft. The draft also took place well before they knew they were going to get Valor. They took those guys hoping to sign them and at the same time they were certainly talking to Valor about signing him.

Watch, you'll see...

I'll be shocked if either one signs. Not saying it's impossible, just saying I'll be very surprised.

dougdirt
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Watch, you'll see...

I'll be shocked if either one signs. Not saying it's impossible, just saying I'll be very surprised.

Lets say they don't sign.... you won't have any clue the reason for them not signing and odds are it will have nothing to do with Valor and a lot more to do with what they wanted.

Benihana
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Lets say they don't sign.... you won't have any clue the reason for them not signing and odds are it will have nothing to do with Valor and a lot more to do with what they wanted.

You don't have any idea what I have a clue about. Once again you're over-stepping your bounds. Let's just leave it at that.

dougdirt
07-07-2009, 12:07 AM
You don't have any idea what I have a clue about. Once again you're over-stepping your bounds. Let's just leave it at that.

Are you suggesting you have insider information? If so, then you shouldn't say things like 'I think' this or that, but rather I have heard or I know this or that. Otherwise, you are pretty much just basing an opinion off of what you want to believe.

GIDP
07-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Dang over steppers

Plus Plus
07-07-2009, 12:58 AM

I think Doug meant the "you" in his statement as a general one, not as one targeted at you, Beni. No need to take it personally :)

13 in hall
07-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Hey guys sorry to post this here but no privlages to start a new thread. Tell me who to look for in the 2010 draft. I love this team to death but I see a free fall coming with the net result being yet another top 10 draft pick. If I'm out of place sorry, I figure the mods will delete it anyway.

redsmetz
07-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey guys sorry to post this here but no privlages to start a new thread. Tell me who to look for in the 2010 draft. I love this team to death but I see a free fall coming with the net result being yet another top 10 draft pick. If I'm out of place sorry, I figure the mods will delete it anyway.

Here's an earlier thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76526) about next year's draft.

mac624
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about talking with a friend of his family's and they stated Barnhart was waiting on clearance from the Commissioner's office to get going.

Anywho, since I hadn't seen anything in print, I did a little searching and found a couple articles that sure do indicate he's signing, especially with his HS coach saying he's going to start out in the GCL. Anyway, they are both pretty good reads (especially the ESPN Rise article).

http://www.flyergroup.com/sports/local_story_171100002.html?keyword=topstory

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/baseball/news/story?id=4159304

Boston Red
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
If you're including undrafted free agents, the Reds signed John Dao, the SS out of the University of Louisville. He's been with Billings for about 10 days.

Benihana
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about talking with a friend of his family's and they stated Barnhart was waiting on clearance from the Commissioner's office to get going.

Didn't you say the same exact thing about Mitchell Clarke? I'm not trying to call you out, but IIRC you said you spoke to a friend of Clark's family as well that said he had signed but was awaiting commissioner approval?

mac624
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I didn't say that I talked with a friend about him, just Barnhart.

Benihana
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I didn't say that I talked with a friend about him, just Barnhart.

I talked with a friend last night that knows Mitch's family and they claim they are waiting on acceptance from the Commissioner's office to validate the contract that Mitch has signed. Apparantly it's for mid 3rd round money (whatever that is), and they've been waiting now for almost 2 weeks.

Take it for what it's all worth, but hopefully, that paperwork will get through quickly and get him going to GCL for the rest of the summer.

:confused:

Mario-Rijo
07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
:confused:

That last post you have quoted was a post titled Mitch Barnhart. Mitch Clarke was the preceeding post but mac particular post had Mitch Barnharts name in the title.

Benihana
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
That last post you have quoted was a post titled Mitch Barnhart. Mitch Clarke was the preceeding post but mac particular post had Mitch Barnharts name in the title.

Ahh, sorry I missed that. Thanks.

icehole3
07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I saw 13th rounder Nick Christiani of Vandy pitch, it was a replay of his game against the National Champs LSU, he's a stout little guy with a live fastball that was consistently at 92-93 and he hit 94 once for the 4 innings he pitched, he gave up 3 runs on a couple of doubles. He has a looping change up they were calling a circle change and he had a decent slider, I was impressed with his fastball. If I had to say who he reminded me of, I would say the guy for St.Louis, Thompson.

Plus Plus
07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Reds near deals with top two Draft picks
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090708&content_id=5763846&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Looks like Buckley is getting close with Leake and Boxburger.

corkedbat
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Reds near deals with top two Draft picks
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090708&content_id=5763846&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Looks like Buckley is getting close with Leake and Boxburger.

Good news. Glad things are going well. No sense inr ushing. I would even let them sit until instructional league, if need be. Interesting that he said Leach was closer to ready than Boxberger and he threw about 50% more innings. were there any physical/injury issues with the Boxter?

medford
07-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I thought boxberger was a closer at USC, but the thought was he could be turned into a starter for the long haul. Perhaps his arm's not stretched out enough, and they don't see the need in fighting that issue now, but better to wait for instructional league then have him starting full time in the Dayton lineup to start next year.

Speaking of Dayton, if Leake doesn't play at all this year, would they start him there? I guess they'd start him in Arizona assuming the High A team stays there so he could be closer to home, he's probably ready for that level, and I assume they have a base of scouts/personal at the minor league/high A/GCL training facility full time and could be kept better eye on.

If its Dayton, I doubt Marc Katz would be writing any pity party articles about the lack of high end talent at Dayton next year w/ potentially Leake, Boxberger, Duran, Rodriquez, Fluery, Hamilton, etc... that could potentially be placed there next year. I'm sure some of them, namely fluery, Leake and possible Box will be in High A at the start of next year, but there is the potential to have the best collection of talent/tools in Dayton since the Dunn, Kearns, Acevedo, Olmedo, Howington, etc... group that made 5/3 field home during their initial season.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I thought boxberger was a closer at USC, but the thought was he could be turned into a starter for the long haul. Perhaps his arm's not stretched out enough, and they don't see the need in fighting that issue now, but better to wait for instructional league then have him starting full time in the Dayton lineup to start next year.

Speaking of Dayton, if Leake doesn't play at all this year, would they start him there? I guess they'd start him in Arizona assuming the High A team stays there so he could be closer to home, he's probably ready for that level, and I assume they have a base of scouts/personal at the minor league/high A/GCL training facility full time and could be kept better eye on.

If its Dayton, I doubt Marc Katz would be writing any pity party articles about the lack of high end talent at Dayton next year w/ potentially Leake, Boxberger, Duran, Rodriquez, Fluery, Hamilton, etc... that could potentially be placed there next year. I'm sure some of them, namely fluery, Leake and possible Box will be in High A at the start of next year, but there is the potential to have the best collection of talent/tools in Dayton since the Dunn, Kearns, Acevedo, Olmedo, Howington, etc... group that made 5/3 field home during their initial season.

Yeah, my guess is Leake and Boxberger both start in High A (the article insinuated as much) with Leake moving to AA by Memorial Day, assuming everything goes to plan.

Even without those two, Dayton looks to be quite strong next year. Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran and Fleury should all start there, with some returning arms like Lotzkar, Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden and Tyler Cline in the rotation.

Scrap Irony
07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Hamilton, Duran, and Rodriguez will play next season in Billings (assuming they continue progressing) or in the GCL again (wherever that may be). Fluery and those Canadians that are hurt are proably in Dayton, but I'd guess Leake is in High A even next season. Part of his appeal as a prospect is that he's close to the majors.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Hamilton, Duran, and Rodriguez will play next season in Billings (assuming they continue progressing) or in the GCL again (wherever that may be). Fluery and those Canadians that are hurt are proably in Dayton, but I'd guess Leake is in High A even next season. Part of his appeal as a prospect is that he's close to the majors.

You might be right about Duran and Rodriguez, but I'll be surprised if Hamilton is not in Dayton next year. Obviously it depends to some degree on how he performs the rest of this season, but the guy was a 2nd round pick and he's hit well in the GCL so far. Furthermore, the Reds have Junior Arias, Humberto Valor, and the other Dominican SS (his name escapes me at the moment) that should all be playing in the GCL next year (and possibly even Billings in Arias' case.)

lollipopcurve
07-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Agreed. It is no sure thing that those 3 guys -- Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran -- make it out of the GCL next year. If they do, it's to Billings.

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
5th rounder Daniel Tuttle is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=572218

medford
07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Agreed. It is no sure thing that those 3 guys -- Hamilton, Rodriguez, Duran -- make it out of the GCL next year. If they do, it's to Billings.

Are we sure? Yorman and Duran turn 18 next year (or does Duran turn 18 prior to the season? I remember he signed earlier than the IFA period due to a loophole since he had previously turned 16 prior to such and such date), while I assume Hamilton will turn 19 like the typical 1 year removed from HS kid does.

If they were top prospects coming out of the draft, they'd be scheduled for Dayton the season following their rookie campaign, while there is instructional league play prior to the rookie leagues, Dayton offers a full season of 'normal' competition while mainting a spot close to the parent's club home base, vs out in Arizona where I assume instructional league will be held following spring training.

If all 3 show promise w/ the GCL Reds this year, it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see them start out in Dayton next year.

Scrap Irony
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Most of Cincinnati's HS draftees go to the GCL first, then Billings for a year, then Dayton as 20/21-year-olds. Most of baseball does it the same way, FWIW.

Hamilton will play in Billings next season and Duran and Rodriguez will either play there or repeat the GCL, as they're a year younger

lollipopcurve
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Are we sure? Yorman and Duran turn 18 next year (or does Duran turn 18 prior to the season? I remember he signed earlier than the IFA period due to a loophole since he had previously turned 16 prior to such and such date), while I assume Hamilton will turn 19 like the typical 1 year removed from HS kid does.

Rodriguez is 16 -- this year. He'll be 17 next year for most of the season. Duran will be 18, I think. Guys that age almost never get out of rookie ball. Hamilton would have to skip a level to get to Dayton, and he's too raw to do that. Reports indicate he's learning to switch hit, too. He will not be rushed.

Eventually these guys will get to Dayton, and Marc Katz can smile again. But it won't be next year, I feel certain.

13 in hall
07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
According to Fey the reds have signed No. 19 LHP Mitchell Clarke from Ontario Canada, and No. 22 1b Dave Stewart fom a J.C.

mac624
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I wonder he they over-slotted him? With Tuttle on board and Leake and Boxberger soon to be, all I want is Barnhart and Fowler and we'll have made a great haul in signing these kids again.

dougdirt
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Most of Cincinnati's HS draftees go to the GCL first, then Billings for a year, then Dayton as 20/21-year-olds. Most of baseball does it the same way, FWIW.

Hamilton will play in Billings next season and Duran and Rodriguez will either play there or repeat the GCL, as they're a year younger

Except most of the high end HS kids, who go to Dayton their first full year. Jay Bruce and Travis Wood were 1st and 2nd rounders who went to Dayton their first full season. Kyle Lotzkar and Devin Mesoraco in 2008 as first rounders.

Its not a big jump to believe that they will wind up in Dayton. If each guy holds their head above water in the GCL it would surprise me if they weren't in Dayton.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 04:38 PM
With Tuttle on board and Leake and Boxberger soon to be, all I want is Barnhart and Fowler and we'll have made a great haul in signing these kids again.

Agreed, it's pretty impressive they will (hopefully) have signed their first 16 picks. I can't remember the last time they did that. I would gladly substitute Marrero or Perez for several of the guys that signed, but of course you can't win 'em all- those two were the most obvious non-signees the minute they were drafted.

Az. Reds Fan
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Agreed, it's pretty impressive they will (hopefully) have signed their first 16 picks. I can't remember the last time they did that. I would gladly substitute Marrero or Perez for several of the guys that signed, but of course you can't win 'em all- those two were the most obvious non-signees the minute they were drafted.

Last year, the Reds signed their top 14 picks and 26 of their first 27. Only the infamous 15th rd pick Eric Pfisterer didn't sign. That was pretty impressive.

medford
07-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Except most of the high end HS kids, who go to Dayton their first full year. Jay Bruce and Travis Wood were 1st and 2nd rounders who went to Dayton their first full season. Kyle Lotzkar and Devin Mesoraco in 2008 as first rounders.

Its not a big jump to believe that they will wind up in Dayton. If each guy holds their head above water in the GCL it would surprise me if they weren't in Dayton.

Howington & Grueler (though a different regime, and perhaps a poor example given their health issues) also spent their first full season in Dayton out of HS.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them in Billings next year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them in Dayton next year either. Alot probalby depends on how they handle the GCL this year, but its not a given they'll start in Billings.

What is better for an 18 year olds overall development, assuming they've got a tool set ready to handle low A pitching... a half a season in instructional league then a half a season in rookie ball, or a full season in low A against not only stronger competition, but w/ the pressure of trying to compete in the standings all season long, and fans in the stand all season long?

I don't know the answer to that question, if there is even one, but a high level prospect playing his age 18/19 season (or 17 in Yorman's case) can't be all that unheard of. Given their draft spot/signing bonuses, one would have to assume them to be high level prospects and at worst worthy of consideration for Low A ball next year. Heck if Yorman and Duran are the high end major league talent like Carlos Beltran, Vlad, etc that they've been comped to and we all hope/pray they turn into one day they'll be in the majors at 21. A season in Low A at 18, a season in High A at 19, a seaosn at AA/AAA at 20, up to the majors sometime when they're 21.

Of course that's ambitious, and perhaps unrealistic when you compare any 17 year old kid to what we know Vlad and Carlos are today, but if they've got that level of talent, Dayton is a real possibility, and they'll show that they belong there despite their youth.

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
According to Fey the reds have signed No. 19 LHP Mitchell Clarke from Ontario Canada, and No. 22 1b Dave Stewart fom a J.C.

I was surprised to see Stewart sign. A few weeks ago he made a comment that he would probably not sign. The Reds must have made a decent offer.

It appears as if the Reds will sign all of their top 15 picks. According to the Reds website, they are moving closers to deal with Leake and Boxberger. That leaves only Tucker Barnhart and he's already said he will sign. Pick 16, 17, 18 probably won't sign but ya never know.

LoganBuck
07-09-2009, 11:58 PM
From Gammons:

The commissioner's's office refuses to sign off on the signing of an unnamed fourth round pick (of a "small-market Central Division team") because the player and the team agreed to a contract above the commissioner's recommendation.

If Gammons has the details off, could this be about Tucker Barnhart. If so I am ticked, because big market teams do whatever they want, and small market teams are stuck in Bud Selig's pit of yuck.

Caveat Emperor
07-10-2009, 12:11 AM
If Gammons has the details off, could this be about Tucker Barnhart. If so I am ticked, because big market teams do whatever they want, and small market teams are stuck in Bud Selig's pit of yuck.

Seriously.

Bud's strangely silent with the Yankees and the Sox dole out huge dollars to free agents, but wants to crap all over a small market team for trying to build through the draft?

That's total B.S. if true.

SoTxRedsFan
07-10-2009, 12:44 AM
From Gammons:

Barnhart wasn't a 4th round pick. Just wants 4th round money.

LoganBuck
07-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Barnhart wasn't a 4th round pick. Just wants 4th round money.

Thanks for the correction, because if you re read what I wrote you will see the qualifier "if Gammons has the details off". But again thanks for the correction.

11larkin11
07-10-2009, 03:00 AM

IIRC, Mesoraco went from GCL to Dayton, even after struggling in the GCL.

redsmetz
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
5th rounder Daniel Tuttle is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=572218

They reported this in today's Enquirer, so perhaps the list could be updated:

FOUR MORE SIGNED: The Reds signed their fifth-, seventh-, 19th- and 22nd-round draft picks:

• No. 5 Dan Tuttle, a right-handed high school pitcher from Randleman, N.C.

• No. 7 Josh Fellhauer, a center fielder from Cal State-Fullerton.

• No. 19 Mitchell Clarke, a left-handed high school pitcher for Ontario, Canada.

• No. 22 David Stewart, a junior-college first baseman.

[edit: I see Fellhauer & Clarke are already bolded]

edabbs44
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
From Gammons:

Could be Zack Dodson on Pitt as well.

Degenerate39
07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Can we get the first post updated?

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Here's what the updated list should look like.

1. Mike Leake, RHP ASU

RED VAN HOT
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Seriously.

Bud's strangely silent with the Yankees and the Sox dole out huge dollars to free agents, but wants to crap all over a small market team for trying to build through the draft?

That's total B.S. if true.

I doubt that anyone dislikes the NE corridor bias as much as I do. I thought the Reds strategy of drafting players previously thought to be unsignable and offering them over slot money was an excellent way to compete as a small market team. The international market strategy was good as well. It seems to me that other teams are adopting the same strategy now, particularly with the emphasis being placed on growing your own talent. I can almost give the commissioner the benefit of a doubt in this case, however, as long as he is consistent in applying it.

Over slot contracts tend to undermine the system over time. Eventually, the large market team will overwhelm the small market teams if contracts stray too far from slot. Small market teams will be pushed into the position of drafting players that either have little bargaining leverage or are perceived to be less talented than their draft position indicates. This year, I think the Pirates did this with Sanchez and the Nationals with Storen. Both players were signed immediately.

Benihana
07-10-2009, 05:57 PM
This will be settled in the new CBA- whether its a mandatory slotting system or some kind of a rookie cap, it will be settled- trust me.

In terms of an international draft, it's ironically some of the small-market teams that are preventing that from happening. For instance, the Pirates have recently completed a very expensive, state-of-the-art facility in the Dominican Republic fully staffed with scouts and everything else you can imagine. After spending all that money down there, they have put up a stink about the possibility of an international draft. Sounds short-sighted I know, but it's a sad reality nonetheless.

SoTxRedsFan
07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Could be Zack Dodson on Pitt as well.

I think that is who it is. He's from a small town near where I live and he's supposedly ready and willing to start rookie ball.

redsfandan
07-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Anything new on possible signings?

mac624
07-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Seems we are close with Boxberger and Leake and from all indications, the commissioner's office is holding up Barnhart for some reason. I suspec these 3 will get done eventually and that will be it. I don't see anyone else signing, unless we just make a big offer out of the blue.

redsfandan
07-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I wasn't sure where to ask this but this seemed like the best place. I have the impression that the Reds drafted more relievers than starting pitchers. Am I wrong? How many of each did they draft exactly?

klw
07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090728/SPORTS030102/90728030/1263/rss
43rd round draftee pitcher Ricky Bowen signs and is headed for Billings.

MississippiRed
07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090728/SPORTS030102/90728030/1263/rss
43rd round draftee pitcher Ricky Bowen signs and is headed for Billings.

I came here to post this. As a fan of both, I hope he pitches better for the Reds than he did for the Bulldogs. He regressed each year he was here.

mac624
07-29-2009, 12:11 AM
the scouts see something that the Bulldogs didn't.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 01:19 AM
the scouts see something that the Bulldogs didn't.

What's the story with Barnhart? Is he signed/going to sign or not?

dougdirt
07-29-2009, 04:18 AM
What's the story with Barnhart? Is he signed/going to sign or not?

He says he will. He has to wait for his deal to get approved.

OesterPoster
07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
If I remember correctly, the Canadian kids usually sign after their summer baseball season. I think that was the case with Lotzkar and Hildebrandt anyway.

Mike Monster is still pitching for his summer team, the Langley Blaze, but it looks like their season is winding down. Maybe he'll sign soon too.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/langleytimes/sports/51896772.html

Mike Monster earned the win on the mound for Langley, pitching four solid innings. He was replaced in the fifth, with his team up 8-3, by Alex Reid, who came on with two runners on board and just one out in the fifth.

RED VAN HOT
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I am rooting for Monster to sign. The possibility of his trotting in from the bull pen while stadium speakers blare the monster mash as the Reds position players twist zombie like is .....perhaps one of the few things left to live for as a Reds fan.

mace
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
The best part is, all of his are Monster seasons.

brad
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I saw this about Barnhart this morning. I apologize ,but I am not sure how to post link on this message board. I hope this works.http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/2009/07/brownsburgs_bar.html

Edd Roush
07-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I saw this about Barnhart this morning. I apologize ,but I am not sure how to post link on this message board. I hope this works.http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/2009/07/brownsburgs_bar.html

Can you summarize what this says? The firewall at work is blocking it. Thanks.

redsmetz
07-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Here's the story:

Nearly two months after one of his baseball-related dreams -- getting drafted -- became a reality, former Brownsburg star catcher Tucker Barnhart still is waiting for a pair of others: Signing his first pro contract, then reporting to his first pro team.

Frustrating? Well ...

"A little bit," said Barnhart, Indiana's Mr. Baseball and a Georgia Tech recruit who was drafted in the 10th round (299th overall) by the Cincinnati Reds in June (and who quickly decided he wanted to sign).

"I mean, I can't really complain too much, because what I'm waiting on is to be a professional athlete. It's kind of hard to be too upset or too frustrated."

Barnhart is waiting because the proposed contract -- agreed-to by both sides, according to the catcher -- would pay him well above the "slot" recommendation made by the commissioner's office for a 10th-round pick (Barnhart has said his bonus involves third- or fourth-round money). The commissioner's office typically does not approve above-slot deals until closer to the Aug. 17 signing deadline.

Barnhart said his agent, Wes Theriot of Beverly Hills Sports Council (brother of Cubs shortstop Ryan Theriot), has a conference call with the Reds on Wednesday. He expects the deal might get done shortly after Friday's Major League Baseball trade deadline, possibly as early as next week.

After that, Barnhart said he is "99 percent sure" he will report to the Reds' High-A affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. (the other one percent would be to their short-season team in Billings, Mont.; the Reds also have a Low-A team in Dayton, Ohio). Barnhart expects to remain a catcher with his quasi-hometown franchise.

Meanwhile, Barnhart is just training, lifting, and practicing -- "making sure I'm in shape and all that," he said, "just to be ready for whenever they do need me to leave."

Also, he is enjoying the opportunity to do a few things mostly foreign to someone whose previous summers essentially involved all baseball, all the time.

"I've gotten to spend time with my family, I've gotten to spend time with my friends, I gotten to play a lot of golf -- I love doing that -- and it's been nice to do those kind of things," Barnhart said. "But it's getting to the point now where I want to go and do what I've done every summer before this one, since I can remember, and go play baseball."

Perhaps the writer misunderstood where Barnhart may land. I would think as a high school player, he'd start with the GCL Reds. Maybe the kid mentioned Sarasota and the writer assumed he meant the High A club.

Edd Roush
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Here's the story:

Perhaps the writer misunderstood where Barnhart may land. I would think as a high school player, he'd start with the GCL Reds. Maybe the kid mentioned Sarasota and the writer assumed he meant the High A club.

Thanks for posting the story, redsmetz. I am very happy that it looks like Barnhart to the Reds is going to happen. I also agree that it makes no sense that they would send him high A to sit behind Mesoraco. I am really glad this past draft has infused some major catching talent into the organization. Let's get Boxburger and Leake signed and this will be a very successful draft.

I'm still crossing my fingers for one of the Miami shortstops.

medford
07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I wonder why MLB wants to wait until closer to the signing deadline to approve above slot deals? There's got to be something more to it in the greater picture, as it would seem to make sense that if you're going to approve a deal, you'd want any prospect in the minors as quickly as possible.

anyhoo, I'm hoping that writer just made a mistake about the High A vs GCL reds. It would be one thing to have him start out in Dayton next season if he shows he's ready, its a completely different thing to have him start out in High A ball this season. I doubt Mes would appreciate that very much, which leads me to believe the writer didn't do his homework and redsmetz is correct.

Any word on the signings of the top 2 picks? I thought their deals were close to being done? I get the impression they dont plan to pitch either of them very much, if at all this year, but hope there are no last minute snags in the way.

Doc. Scott
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Ricky Bowen (43rd round) is on the Billings roster, so you can mark him signed.

Grande Donkey
07-30-2009, 10:53 AM
edit: I was more that a little late....

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Barnhart's deal probably would've been approved a month ago if it was the Yankees or some other big market team. Way to screw the kid out of valuable playing time Bud.

RED VAN HOT
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm still crossing my fingers for one of the Miami shortstops.

..and, of course, the monster.

flyer85
07-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Can you summarize what this says? The firewall at work is blocking it. Thanks.he has agreed to a deal, it is well above slot(10th round) and MLB generally doesn't approve those until closer to the deadline. The expectation is that he will be signed not to long after the trading deadline and report to Sarasota.

IslandRed
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I wonder why MLB wants to wait until closer to the signing deadline to approve above slot deals? There's got to be something more to it in the greater picture, as it would seem to make sense that if you're going to approve a deal, you'd want any prospect in the minors as quickly as possible.

They hide the above-slot deals until the last minute because they don't want everyone else's tenth-rounder pegging off that number in negotiations.

redsmetz
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I emailed the Indy Star reporter and he said it was his mistake and he was fixing it. Here's the updated version:

After that, Barnhart said he is "99 percent sure" he will report to the Reds' rookie-league affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. (the other one percent would be to their rookie-level team in Billings, Mont.). Barnhart expects to remain a catcher with his quasi-hometown franchise.

Mario-Rijo
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
So if above slot deals are done closer to the deadline and in august then I guess we didn't sign anyone else to over slot deals already?

Edd Roush
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I emailed the Indy Star reporter and he said it was his mistake and he was fixing it. Here's the updated version:

After that, Barnhart said he is "99 percent sure" he will report to the Reds' rookie-league affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. (the other one percent would be to their rookie-level team in Billings, Mont.). Barnhart expects to remain a catcher with his quasi-hometown franchise.

Thanks, man. How much longer does the GCL season go? I know most minor league regular seasons end at the end of August. If he wasn't approved until August 17th, does that mean he would only get 2 weeks of PT? If so, Bud sitting on his deal is ridiculous. It is now a common fact that he will sign for 4th round money, any agent who was going to use Barnhart as a peg now has this information whether Bud is sitting on it or not. Let the kid play, Bud.

SoTxRedsFan
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I hate bud..

redsmetz
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks, man. How much longer does the GCL season go? I know most minor league regular seasons end at the end of August. If he wasn't approved until August 17th, does that mean he would only get 2 weeks of PT? If so, Bud sitting on his deal is ridiculous. It is now a common fact that he will sign for 4th round money, any agent who was going to use Barnhart as a peg now has this information whether Bud is sitting on it or not. Let the kid play, Bud.

According to their website, the regular season goes until the end of August. Someone can correct me, but don't we have some sort of development program going on down there after the season (similar to "extended spring training")?

It really is a shame that informal system holds back a kid like Barnhart. I would guess that this may be addressed in the next contract.

bubbachunk
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM

That he is still waiting for the commissioners office to approve the contract.

tripleaaaron
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I would have thought Valaika would have signed by now, wonder if he is getting higher than slot.

New Fever
08-09-2009, 02:30 AM
According to Baseball America's draft database, Tucker Barnhart signed for $250,000. Jacob Johnson also received a bonus of $150,000.

HeatherC1212
08-09-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm glad they got Tucker signed and hopefully Leake will be signed soon too. They did a really great job this year getting a lot of their draft picks signed. :)

redsmetz
08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
According to Baseball America's draft database, Tucker Barnhart signed for $250,000. Jacob Johnson also received a bonus of $150,000.

So if we get Leake and Boxberger signed, we'll have signed our top 15 picks. Incredible.

princeton
08-09-2009, 11:37 AM
So if we get Leake and Boxberger signed, we'll have signed our top 15 picks. Incredible.

it's not especially incredible. they signed their top 13 picks (and 25 out of top 26) last year.

redsmetz
08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
it's not especially incredible. they signed their top 13 picks (and 25 out of top 26) last year.

I stand corrected. I see we've been doing that consistently for the last handful of years, now that I've gone back and looked at the history.

redsmetz
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Update from the Indy Star writer's blog:

Since getting to town Wednesday, Tucker Barnhart has spent several hours in the lobby of the Sarasota (Fla.) Hotel & Marina, along with a number of his newest teammates on the Cincinnati Reds' Rookie League affiliate.

Watching TV? Partying? Playing cards?

Nope. Playing Monopoly.

"It's kind of fun -- a little childish thing that we do to keep ourselves busy," said Barnhart, who just last week still was in Brownsburg, waiting for his in-place deal with the Reds to become official.

The deal is official now -- with Cincinnati snagging the former star catcher and Indiana's Mr. Baseball thanks to a $250,000 bonus (real money, not Monopoly ... apologies for the bad joke there). That figure was well above the amount slotted by the commissioner's office to the 299th pick overall, thus the delay.

So far, Monopoly is the only official (can it be called "official"?) game Barnhart has played since his flight landed in Florida on Wednesday afternoon. Not that he's sitting around playing board games all day. He has become part of the team, working mostly on getting his live-pitching timing to return and, as a catcher, trying to "get my legs back under me." Smartly, Barnhart worked out all summer while waiting for the contract to become official, so he's "pretty much there" in terms of fitness.

From a lifestyle standpoint, things have been pretty different for Barnhart -- in a good way. Florida is "hot, but it's nice" (hard to argue with that). He doesn't mind living in the hotel, which is a few minutes away from the Gulf Coast League Reds' Ed Smith Stadium. As for his fellow players: "It's awesome. You're around Dominican guys, you're around kids from Italy and Germany. You're around just all different (kinds) of people, and it's really awesome to see that difference in culture. ... That's really what's been cool for me."

Barnhart said he could be ready for game action when the GCL Reds return to the field Tuesday night -- be it behind the plate, as a DH, or something else. He said he hasn't spoken lately with coaches or club officials about their plans for him in the future, although the 5-8 former Georgia Tech recruit has indicated he likely will stay at catcher.

Still, that doesn't much matter to him right now. Right now, it's all about baseball. At least when Monopoly isn't involved.

"I can't ask for any more," Barnhart said. "I'm playing baseball for a living.

"I'm just ready to get out there and play. I'm ready to show everyone what I can do. And I'm confident of my ability (and) that I'll be able to stand out in a good way, and just play the game the right way -- the way it's supposed to be played -- and show them that I belong."

Brutus
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
This was posted on "MLBbonusbaby.com" today. It's the updated Reds' draft review based on the guys that have signed or are likely to sign.

Reds' Draft Review (http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/08/12/draft-review-cincinnati-reds/)

Here’s my pick-by-pick analysis of the Cincinnati Reds’ 2009 draft, keeping in mind talent, draft value, and signability. The number before each player is the round in which they were picked, and their overall pick number is listed. Here’s the picks:

1. Mike Leake, RHP, Arizona State, #8 overall, 6’0’’/180: I have to start this out by saying that I’m a big Mike Leake fan. Where most people jump on Leake’s lack of physical projection, I see his athletic frame as a slight plus, as he has the ability to repeat his delivery with consistency, and his mechanics are clean. His advanced command of multiple offerings is quite scary, and though his fastball is average in velocity, he more than makes up for that with movement and command. I see his ceiling as quite a bit higher than some media outlets will tell you, though I don’t think he’s a number one guy. However, he looks like a good number two to me, probably in the mold of Tim Hudson during his Oakland years. Leake’s negotiations have hit a bit of a snag, but I fully expect him to sign. DOB: 11/12/87.

1s. Brad Boxberger, RHP, USC, #43 overall, 6’2’’/200: Earlier in the season, I was also a big Boxberger fan, as he showed many of the characteristics that Mike Leake did. He dabbles with three pitches that have good consistency, and his pitches themselves actually have better pure potential than Leake’s. However, Boxberger lacks the precision command of Leake, and he showed he was prone to physical slowdown late in games during the year. I do like this pick at this spot, though, as it’s good value for talent, draft position, and signability, though he hasn’t signed yet. DOB: 5/27/88.

2. Billy Hamilton, SS, Taylorsville HS (MS), #57 overall, 6’1’’/160: I thought this was a very interesting pick, considering it came after a pair of relatively safe college arms went to the Reds. It makes for a very interesting blend of high-ceiling talent with high-floor talent, a good combination. Hamilton himself isn’t one of my favorite ballplayers, as he’s just so raw. He’s got blazing speed to go along with great defensive quickness, and his arm is plus at short, too. However, in the areas where experience shows, Hamilton is most raw. His hitting and fielding tools are lacking greatly at the present time, and he might have to move off short due to that. This is a high-risk, high-reward pick, and even though I thought a couple other prep shortstops would go before him, this isn’t a bad pick. He signed pretty quickly and is hitting .229/.292/.314 in 118 ABs in the GCL. DOB: 9/9/90. Signing bonus: $623,600.

3. Donnie Joseph, LHP, Houston, #88 overall, 6’3’’/190: Joseph is a bit of a polarizing figure in scouting circles, as some say he has the pure stuff to be a late-inning reliever, while others say his lack of a history of command will keep him from getting very far with his stuff. I tend to think Joseph will succeed in pro ball, having developed a fairly consistent breaking ball to go along with an improved fastball out of the bullpen. I think he has the ability to be a CJ Wilson-like reliever, meaning he could probably close on some teams, but not most. I like this pick for draft position, it’s about average for talent, and he signed quickly. He breezed through the Pioneer League in 11.2 innings with a 0.77 ERA, and he’s only allowed three earned runs in 11.1 innings (2.38 ERA) with Dayton in the Midwest League so far. DOB: 11/1/87. Signing bonus: $398,000.

4. Mark Fleury, C, North Carolina, #119 overall, 6’1’’/200: I wasn’t a big Fleury fan for most the spring, simply because he had no track record of catching a full college season and handling the dominating stuff thrown by most UNC pitchers. While I’m still not high on Fleury, I’m much more so than I was four or five months ago. I like his patience at the plate, but I loathe the bunches of strikeouts he rang up. I think his bat is quite questionable. I heard mixed reviews about his handling of the pitching staff, and that makes me wonder whether he can continue to be a full-time starting catcher. This is about where I thought he’d go, but I don’t necessarily liken him to fourth round talent. He signed quickly and is hitting just .175/.284/.286 in 63 ABs with Billings in the Pioneer League. He’s 0-for-14 against lefties. Ouch. DOB: 5/4/88. Signing bonus: $249,300.

5. Daniel Tuttle, RHP, Randleman HS (NC), #149 overall, 6’1’’/185: The Reds continued their pattern of following two safer college draftees with a more risky prep one with the selection of Tuttle. Much like Hamilton, Tuttle’s got a lot of work to do. His mechanics just aren’t right, and it’s obvious to anyone with any history of scouting, as he can’t even repeat his delivery from pitch to pitch sometimes. However, he still can have filthy stuff, and his pitch mix has the potential to be top-end. I like this pick a lot, and he only signed for slightly above slot money. It’s filled with risk, but considering the reasonable price, it’s worth the gamble. He’s gone 0-1 with a 2.08 ERA in 17.1 innings so far in the GCL, striking out 15 and walking 6, while allowing 20 hits, a surprisingly high number. DOB: 8/21/90. Signing bonus: $200,000.

6. Mark Serrano, RHP, Oral Roberts, #179 overall, 6’2’’/195: Serrano was drafted by the Royals in the 47th round way back in 2004 out of high school in California. In the next four drafts, Serrano was eligible each time, but was never picked again. Enter 2009. Serrano burst onto the scene partway into the year, and he never slowed down. He showed average stuff with excellent results. His fastball is fairly average, and I’d compare it to Leake’s without the advanced movement. In addition, Serrano’s slider has drawn some praise, and it could be a big league pitch in time. If Serrano can nail down his changeup, he could be a back-end starter in time. However, he’s already 23, so you have to take most pro success shy of AA ball with a grain of salt. He signed quickly for what is next to nothing for a sixth rounder, and he ran through the Pioneer League in just 6.1 innings with only one earned run allowed, and he’s 1-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 22.2 innings with Dayton so far. DOB: 9/14/85. Signing bonus: $25,000.

7. Josh Fellhauer, OF, Cal State Fullerton, #209 overall, 5’11’’/175: This is a solid pick, as Fellhauer was projected to go off the board as many as three rounds higher. I think Fellhauer has a chance to be a solid starting outfielder in the bigs, especially with his excellent defense. He reminds me in many ways of A’s outfielder Ryan Sweeney, though Fellhauer might be a better defender in center. I like this pick a lot, as it was above-average for draft position, talent, and Fellhauer signed quickly for a reasonable amount of money. He’s hitting .296/.375/.528 in 142 ABs with Dayton so far. DOB: 3/24/88. Signing bonus: $125,000.

8. Juan Silva, OF, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, #239 overall, 6’0’’/190: I was hearing much better things about Silva coming into the spring than I heard during the spring itself. The big plus I like about Silva is his excellent outfield defense, and combined with a solid arm, he should be an excellent overall defender in time. It might be in right field, but he’s blessed with that natural talent nonetheless. Silva’s other plus tool is his speed, and while he’s not a Hamilton-like burner, he’s a speedster in his own right. His hitting lags behind a bit, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the Reds’ best offensive pick outside of Fellhauer in this draft. I do like this pick, especially considering the safety of the previous two picks by the Reds. Silva signed quickly and is hitting .258/.351/.412 in 97 ABs in the GCL. Solid start. DOB: 1/8/91. Signing bonus: $95,000.

9. Brian Pearl, RHP, Washington, #269 overall, 6’1’’/190: Pearl was moving quickly up draft boards this year, but he never really put together the dominating results that some expected with his stuff. He was fairly inconsistent, actually varying wildly in terms of pure stuff from appearance to appearance. A pure reliever, Pearl has back-end stuff at times, but he’s got a long ways to go to reach that consistency. I like this pick here, as it was great for draft position and talent, and they didn’t even need six figures to sign him. He’s been inconsistent still in the minors so far, compiling a 5.00 ERA in 18 innings with Billings, but striking out 29. DOB: 5/17/88. Signing bonus: $90,000.

10. Tucker Barnhart, C, Brownsburg HS (IN), #299 overall, 5’8’’/180: When I first started writing this draft review, Barnhart still hadn’t signed. However, he recently did, making this a solid pick. Committed to Georgia Tech, Barnhart’s signability was the big question entering the draft, as his skills are less doubted. A very athletic catcher, Barnhart’s arm is pretty average for the position, but due to that athleticism, Barnhart’s pop times can be excellent. He’s fairly new to the position, so he needs to work on receiving skills. With the bat, I see Barnhart as being solid, especially considering he’s a switch-hitter. I like this pick a lot for draft position and talent, as Barnhart has the potential to be a Major League catcher in the mold of Jason Varitek. He took a fairly large over slot bonus, but getting him signed was important for this draft class. He went 0-for-4 in his Tuesday debut in the GCL. DOB: 1/7/91. Signing bonus: $250,000.

11. Jacob Johnson, RHP, Trinity Christian Academy (FL), #329 overall, 6’4’’/215: I didn’t really think Johnson would be a high pick in this draft, simply because his current stuff isn’t very special. What’s special about Johnson is his projection. With a pro pitcher’s frame, Johnson is able to still have somewhat clean mechanics, a plus for such a big prep pitcher, and I think that’s the saving grace for him. Otherwise, he’d be either hurt or on his way to Wake Forest. However, he was signed quickly for a pretty penny, though it could worth it if the Reds are patient enough with him to let him develop his offspeed stuff. Good pick for talent and draft position, and he signed quickly. He’s had a very successful debut in the GCL, going 0-1 with a 1.04 ERA in 26 innings, walking 10 and striking out 24, allowing only 13 hits. He’s handling lefties and righties alike, so this has to be seen as nothing but a success. DOB: 9/12/90. Signing bonus: $150,000.

12. Josh Garton, OF, Volunteer State CC (TN), #359 overall, 6’2’’/205: I think this pick also has good potential, as Garton has shown great power potential at times in his JUCO career. I don’t really see any other plus tools with Garton, but if he can improve his plate discipline, this can be a solid pick. He’s already 21, so he doesn’t have the extra potential that most JUCO players have compared to four-year program players, but this is a solid twelfth round selection. He signed quickly, but is off to a poor .190/.255/.320 start in 100 ABs with Billings. DOB: 4/27/88. Signing bonus: Unknown.

13. Nick Christiani, RHP, Vanderbilt, #389 overall, 6’0’’/195: Christiani was a 32nd round pick of the Indians a year ago after his junior year at Vandy, but he chose not to sign. I thought he might go somewhere in the teens this year, but only because he seemed to be an affordable senior option for a team looking for relievers. He doesn’t have great stuff, but might eventually be a middle relief candidate. However, he still hasn’t signed, so I wonder if he even wants to play pro ball. DOB: 7/17/87.

14. Tim Crabbe, RHP, Westmont (CA), #419 overall, 6’4’’/195: I don’t know why, but I never saw Crabbe as a legitimate mid-round draft pick this year. A draft-eligible sophomore, Crabbe does have pro size, but I was told his current stuff wasn’t pro material quite yet. Therefore, I expected he’d either be a late-round follow or not be drafted at all, though I figured the former was the more likely option. However, the Reds drafted him within their true “wants” range, and he signed quickly. He’s 0-3 with a 2.96 ERA in 27.1 innings with Billings so far, striking out 29 and walking 18 while allowing 21 hits. DOB: 2/20/88. Signing bonus: Unknown.

15. Jamie Walczak, RHP, Mercyhurst (PA), #449 overall, 6’2’’/195: Walczak was also an outfield prospect as a senior at Mercyhurst, though I didn’t expect him to go this high for either spot. He doesn’t have good stuff, and he’s already 22, so I’m not a big backer of this pick. He signed quickly and is off to a 1-2 start with Billings, accompanied by a 6.39 ERA in 12.2 innings of relief. He’s been hit quite hard by both righties and lefties alike. DOB: 5/4/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

16. Chase Fowler, C, South Forsythe HS (GA), #479 overall, 6’1’’/185: This enters the start of the unsignable and organizational players territory for the Reds. Fowler never really caught my attention as a possible pro prospect, but I do think he could re-emerge in the single digits for 2012 as a lefty-hitting catcher. I fully expect he’ll honor his college commitment, as he hasn’t signed yet with less than a week to go until the deadline. DOB: 9/16/90. Commitment: Southern Miss.

17. Deven Marrero, SS, American Heritage HS (FL), #509 overall, 6’1’’/180: Marrero went from being in consideration for the best prep shortstop in this draft class to being a contingency plan for the Reds. Marrero has good all-around tools, and his best asset is his plus defensive actions. He has a good future hitting tool, too, but his present hitting tool is too far away from that future grade to expect him to reach it. Having been picked this far down, it’s pretty unreasonable to think he’ll sign, especially considering Hamilton’s entrance into the organization at the same position, though Marrero’s a far superior defensive shortstop. There’s a possibility the Reds want to sign one of Marrero or Steven Perez, but I honestly don’t know if they’ll have the money considering they’re still battling with Leake and Boxberger at the top. DOB: 8/25/90. Commitment: Arizona State.

18. Steven Perez, SS, Gulliver Prep HS (FL), #539 overall, 5’11’’/175: It’s funny that the Reds picked Perez in addition to Marrero, as they were often compared to each other this spring in south Florida. Perez has a lower ceiling than Marrero, but a higher floor, too. His defense is more solid than Marrero’s, as is his hitting, but I don’t see a ton of projection in his frame, meaning he might not ever hit with enough pop to hold down a steady shortstop job. Perez’ commitment might be stronger than most think, and I don’t think he’ll sign before the deadline. DOB: 12/16/90. Commitment: Miami.

19. Mitchell Clarke, LHP, Forest Heights (ON), #569 overall, 6’2’’/220: This is about where I expected Clarke to go, as he has a big frame and had a weak college commitment. Like most Canadian prospects, he’s behind in his development, but his pure physicality is quite good, so I wouldn’t count him out just yet. He signed quickly, and he’s off to a 1-1 start with a 4.09 ERA in 11 innings in the GCL. He’s been much more effective in relief so far. DOB: 8/29/90. Signing bonus: Unknown.

20. Matt Valaika, 2B, UC Santa Barbara, #599 overall, 5’10’’/190: The Reds took a shot that Valaika would be tied in with his family here, though he probably has a much better chance of going in the single digits next year than he did this year. He’s a small kid, and there’s not much future projection there. He’s a bench player at best. He’ll most likely be returning to school for his senior year. DOB: 4/2/88.

21. Jon Reed, RHP, Memorial HS (OK), #629 overall, 6’2’’/200: Reed comes with a lot of injury risk, as he didn’t pitch this year due to elbow problems. He did continue to play in the field, however, and I’d be surprised if he didn’t do some further damage to that elbow as a result. I don’t see the Reds signing him, and he’ll likely end up on campus soon. DOB: 9/12/90. Commitment: Tennessee.

22. Dave Stewart, 1B, Grayson County CC (TX), #659 overall, 6’6’’/220: Remember the profile of Rangers’ first baseman Chris Davis when he came out of the JUCO ranks? It’s eerily similar to Stewart’s. A power bat, Stewart does have some glaring weaknesses, but he’s blessed with a big body and natural talent. I’m a big fan of this pick, as he’s signed fairly recently. I expected him to go ten rounds higher after going to the Nationals in the 31st round out of high school in 2007, but he fell for unknown reasons. He’s 2-for-9 in the GCL so far. DOB: 11/23/88. Signing bonus: Unknown.

23. Chris Richburg, 1B, Texas Tech, #689 overall, 6’2’’/210: A 23 year old college senior, Richburg doesn’t have much upside, and I didn’t think he’d be anything but a late-round roster filler. He signed quickly and is hitting .231/.346/.341 in 91 ABs with Billings. DOB: 12/29/85. Signing bonus: Unknown.

24. Derrick Lowery, 1B, Young Harris JC (GA), #719 overall, 6’1’’/215: Lowery was one of the better JUCO prospects in Georgia this spring, though that’s not saying much. He was more highly regarded as a lefty pitcher, so I’m not sure what the Reds saw in him that others didn’t. I thought he might go a few rounds earlier, but it was not to be. At 21, he’s a year older than most JUCO sophomores, so there’s less upside here. He signed quickly and is 6-for-19 in the GCL after going 1-for-3 with Billings. DOB: 5/3/88. Signing bonus: Unknown.

25. Mike Monster, RHP, Rutland SS (BC), #749 overall, 6’3’’/220: Monster wasn’t far behind Phillies’ draftee Steven Inch for the title of best Canadian righty prep arm this spring, but I’d prefer Inch over Monster. Monster’s got good projectability in his frame, and with time he could become what Inch already is. However, he fell due to his rawness, and it looks like he’ll be heading to junior college. He’ll be eligible again next year if he does enroll. DOB: 12/3/90. Commitment: New Mexico JC.

26. Trey Manz, C, South Florida, #779 overall, 6’1’’/205: Who? Pure roster filler here, as the Reds were in need of a short-season catcher for split time between Billings and the GCL. He signed quickly and is 0-for-7 with Billings and 8-for-19 (.421) in the GCL, his current assignment. DOB: 9/1/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

27. Stefan Del Pino, LHP, Dorman HS (SC), #809 overall, 6’1’’/175: I thought Del Pino would be a late-round follow, as he just doesn’t have pro strength yet. He might develop into something for the 2012 draft, but he’s probably a middle reliever in the long run. I expect him to fulfill his college commitment. DOB: 6/8/91. Commitment: Coastal Carolina.

28. Derek Poppert, SS, San Francisco, #839 overall, 6’1’’/190: Poppert wasn’t very highly-regarded, making him just a roster filler option, though they haven’t signed him. He’ll probably return to school for his senior year. DOB: 7/27/88.

29. Jason Braun, RHP, Corban (OR), #869 overall, 6’5’’/185: I like this pick quite a bit, especially considering they signed him so easily. Braun’s a former basketball player who has great pro size, and he might have the ability to be a setup man in the future. He gets good downward action on his fastball, and with his tall frame, he gets a lot of ground balls. He’s 0-2 with a 4.95 ERA in 20 innings so far with Billings, and he’s getting a ton of groundball outs. DOB: 11/24/86. Signing bonus: Unknown.

30. Yovan Gonzalez, C, Wabash Valley CC (IL), #899 overall, 5’11’’/190: A JUCO sophomore who is roster filler. He is only 19, so maybe there’s something there I haven’t seen. He signed quickly and is hitting .256/.318/.282 in 39 ABs in the GCL as a backup catcher. DOB: 11/11/89. Signing bonus: Unknown.

31. Adian Kummet, RHP, St. Scholastica (MN), #929 overall, 6’4’’/205: Wasn’t even on my radar, so the only thing I notice is his size. He’s also 22, so there’s probably not much to see here. He signed quickly and is 1-1 with a 4.67 ERA in 17.1 innings with Billings. DOB: 4/15/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

32. Shane Carlson, SS, UC Santa Barbara, #959 overall, 6’0’’/185: The inability to sign Valaika or Poppert meant the signing of the lower-rated Carlson became more crucial. Carlson is pure roster filler at its best. After a 6-for-27 (.222) run with Billings, he was promoted to Sarasota in the Florida State League, where he’s hitting .275/.310/.338 in 80 ABs. DOB: 4/17/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

33. Will Stramp, 3B, Lubbock Christian (TX), #989 overall, 6’3’’/190: I find this pick intriguing, as I expected Stramp to go possibly fifteen to twenty rounds higher. He absolutely hit the cover off the ball this spring, and he’s got some pro tools mixed in with the normal college skillset. He’s old at 23, but this is a great sign this far down. However, he’s only 1-for-19 (.053) so far with Billings, so he’s off to a rough start. DOB: 5/29/86. Signing bonus: Unknown.

34. Forest Cannon, RHP, UC Santa Barbara, #1019 overall, 6’3’’/190: I was honestly surprised to see Cannon sign, as he was a draft-eligible sophomore with pretty much no draft stock. However, it seems he decided that it was now or never for his pro career, and the Reds inked him quickly. There’s some good size here, but not much current stuff. He’s 0-0 with a 4.35 ERA in 10.1 innings with Billings, though he hasn’t pitched since July 24. DOB: 6/5/88. Signing bonus: Unknown.

35. Oliver Santos, 3B, South Carolina JC-Salkehatchie, #1049 overall, 6’0’’/186: A JUCO sophomore, there’s also not much to report here. Santos is already 22, so we’re once again looking at roster filler. He’s hitting .245/.365/.340 in 53 ABs so far in the GCL. DOB: 2/5/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

36. Chris Burleson, SS, Southern Maine, #1079 overall, 5’11’’/190: I don’t know anything about Burleson, and even though it’s reported that he’s signed, he has yet to appear in a game. DOB: 4/18/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

37. Dayne Read, OF, Chipola JC (FL), #1109 overall, 5’11’’/185: Read’s a JUCO freshman who stood more to gain from staying in close and not signing. He’ll be 21 in next year’s draft as a JUCO sophomore. DOB: 12/31/88. Commitment: None.

38. Tommy Nurre, 1B, Miami (Ohio), #1139 overall, 6’3’’/235: Nurre was a 38th rounder of the Dodgers a year ago as a junior, and he went in the same round this year. He’s still only 21, though, and his size is good. However, he’s got big weaknesses, causing him to fall this far. He signed quickly and is hitting .274/.346/.425 in 73 ABs with Billings. DOB: 12/11/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

39. Paul Barton, RHP, Kwalikum SS (BC), #1169 overall, 6’3’’/197: Much like Monster, I thought Barton would go much higher. However, he’s still underdeveloped even when compared to other preps, though his projectability is good. He could turn into a higher pick in next year’s draft after a year of JUCO ball. DOB: 2/17/91. Commitment: New Mexico JC.

40. Michael Robertson, OF, Bellevue CC (WA), #1199 overall, 6’2’’/190: Robertson was a JUCO freshman that earned good reviews for his work ethic, but I don’t see him turning into a pro player just yet. He’ll be 20 as a JUCO sophomore for next year’s draft, and he could go twenty rounds higher then. DOB: 4/8/90. Commitment: None.

41. Jake Wiley, RHP, Marist, #1229 overall, 6’1’’/195: Wiley was an unheralded senior at Marist, and he’s a middle reliever at best, though he doesn’t even have that much current stuff. He signed quickly as roster filler, and after posting a 4.60 ERA in 15.2 innings in the GCL, he’s allowed just an earned run in 3 innings with Billings. DOB: 10/4/86. Signing bonus: Unknown.

42. Blair Carson, RHP, Anderson (SC), #1259 overall, 6’2’’/193: Carson was a senior outfielder who was surprisingly taken as a pitcher by the Reds. He didn’t really have a future in the outfield, so many there’s some upside on the mound. He went 1-2 with a 3.94 ERA in 16 innings over four starts in the GCL, and is 0-3 with a 4.63 ERA in 23.1 innings so far with Billings. DOB: 10/3/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

43. Ricky Bowen, RHP, Mississippi State, #1289 overall, 6’3’’/185: This is a re-draft, as Bowen was picked by the Reds a year ago as a JUCO sophomore in the 38th round. There might be some potential here, but probably not much. Bowen hasn’t allowed an earned run in 3.2 innings with Billings so far. DOB: 8/6/87. Signing bonus: Unknown.

44. Jaron Shepherd, OF, Navarro JC (TX), #1319 overall, 6’1’’/175: Shepherd was a 17th rounder of the Pirates a year ago at Navarro, and he fell this year due to both performance issues and a commitment to an SEC school. A lefty hitter, Shepherd has some potential to play right away, which will move him up boards for when he’s eligible again next year. DOB: 10/30/88. Commitment: Mississippi State.

45. Brian Adams, OF, South Forsythe HS (GA), #1349 overall, 6’4’’/210: Adams is actually more of a football player than a baseball player, and his commitment to school is for that sport. He’s a big kid with big potential, but it will be tough for him to realize it when he’s playing another sport. He won’t be signing this week. DOB: 2/28/91. Commitment: Kentucky.

46. Tim Dunn, RHP, Trevecca Nazarene (TN), #1379 overall, 6’2’’/215: Dunn has decent pro size, but he’s still young, not turning 21 until next week. He’ll probably return to school for his senior season, and he might be a decent senior sign next year. DOB: 8/19/88.

47. Jason Hampton, RHP, Rocklin HS (CA), #1409 overall, 6’4’’/225: A big kid, Hampton’s also a hitting prospect. Remember his name for a few years down the road. He won’t be signing. DOB: 12/19/90. Commitment: Cal State Sacramento.

48. Kenny Swab, C, Young Harris JC (GA), #1439 overall, 6’2’’/213: A teammate of Lowery’s, Swab has a strong college commitment, though his skills aren’t of pro caliber yet. I expect him to go to school. DOB: 8/20/88. Commitment: Virginia.

49. Darion Hamilton, OF, Taylorsville HS (MS), #1469 overall, 6’3’’/180: Yes, this Hamilton is related to second rounder Billy Hamilton. Darion is Billy’s cousin, and they played as teammates in high school. There’s not much to say about Darion except that he was probably drafted as a courtesy to Billy. He won’t be signing. DOB: 11/20/89. Commitment: Jones County JC (MS).

50. Chris Page, 1B, Genessee CC (NY), #1499 overall, 6’5’’/240: Page is an unknown, but his size looks intriguing. I haven’t even been able to find a college commitment for him, and he’s already 21 now. DOB: 7/20/88. Commitment: Unknown.

At first glance, I love this draft. It’s not in the territory of the Giants’, but I expect it to be a top ten draft when signing day comes and goes next week. I’ve already mentioned I’m a big Mike Leake fan, and I’m probably higher on Boxberger than most. While there’s plenty of risk in this draft with the likes of Billy Hamilton, Daniel Tuttle, Juan Silva, Tucker Barnhart, and Jacob Johnson, there’s also plenty of safer picks to accompany those boom-or-bust type of players. It’s this type of balance that I look for when grading drafts, as too much of one or the other can lead to either a low-ceiling or low-floor farm system, which no team wants. Balancing out your Hamiltons has to be your Leakes and Boxbergers, Josephs and Fellhauers. That’s what teams need to do in order to build a farm system for both supplying the Major League club and for providing trading pieces to acquire other talent. Players like a Daniel Tuttle may look extremely appetizing in, say, December 2010, when he’s probably put up some very good numbers in low-A ball, but most of what will determine his success is his ability to adjust against better hitters in AA ball and above. That’s where the high-upside players come in as trade chips, as Tuttle will still be very attractive at those winter meetings, whereas he might still be in that boom or bust phase, but he can bring in talent that’s better than the $200K the Reds just invested in him in the past month or so. Great mix here that should be encouraging for Red fans.

Looking at the Reds’ draft from a monetary standpoint, the Reds should be in good shape to sign both Leake and Boxberger without a problem. Leake’s probably holding out for last year’s slot money ($2.27MM), and I’m guessing Boxberger is, too ($877,000). That would put the Reds at somewhere close to $5.5 million in total bonuses given out, a healthy amount, though not at the top of the league. Without a solid mix of high-ceiling and high-floor talent, though, they probably would be under spending compared to most teams who pay more for their draft picks. However, the Reds generally don’t go over slot for many of their picks, and if they do, it’s for a relatively small amount. Tuttle and Barnhart represent the only true over slot deals given out by the Reds so far, though Leake and Boxberger will probably join that group. Considering how much I like this draft, I’m surprised at how few over slot players they needed to put together such a group.

Now on to the grading. Like I said before, I like this draft quite a bit, though it’s below the Giants’ draft, the team that has my highest-rated draft so far. The Reds will be adding two college starting prospects in Leake and Boxberger, two prep starting pitching prospects in Tuttle and Johnson, potential shutdown relievers in Joseph and Pearl, as well as a possible swingman in Serrano. Add to that a potential top-flight shortstop, a platoon catcher in Fleury and a possible starter in Barnhart, and a college outfielder, JUCO outfielder, and prep Puerto Rican outfielder, and you have yourself great depth at each spot. Dave Stewart also helps me grade up this draft a bit, as he could be a Major League hitter in the future. They loaded up their first base depth in later rounds, mixed them with some middle relief prospects, and the overall combination is one of the more solid drafts for them in recent memory. So, I have to grade this draft right up there near the top, but one grading step below the Giants, who still hold my top draft class ranking for now.

FINAL GRADE: B+.

Benihana
08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I love how Leake and Boxberger were lauded as very signable picks, yet neither has signed with less than a week until the deadline.

Homer Bailey
08-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I love how Leake and Boxberger were lauded as very signable picks, yet neither has signed with less than a week until the deadline.

That's not a huge concern for me as they are both pitchers. I expect them to sign, and I don't expect them to get big workloads the rest of the season. When they sign isn't that important to me.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
That's not a huge concern for me as they are both pitchers. I expect them to sign, and I don't expect them to get big workloads the rest of the season. When they sign isn't that important to me.

That's fair, but I just hope they aren't shedding these veterans for cash- just to turn around and use that cash to sign Leake and Boxberger. I really hope they budgeted better than that.

I'd still like to see Marrero signed, but alas it's just a pipe dream.

On another note, Alex White (yes, the one Cleveland has already announced they will be converting to a reliever) is asking for Top 5 money. Glad we didn't draft him!

princeton
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I'd still like to see Marrero signed

sheer speculation: Leake's slow negotiations are pushing the final Marrero offer back. Leake's agent would use a big Marrero signing as a negotiating tool and Reds aren't going to let that happen.

Kc61
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd still like to see Marrero signed, but alas it's just a pipe dream.

My guess is that the Reds drafted Marrero and some of the other very talented guys in the 15-20 range as insurance.

If for any reason they can't sign Leake or Boxberger, they can then turn around and offer that money to a guy like Marrero. And, they can use this as leverage -- "Leake, we have Marrero in the wings just in case we don't sign you. So you'd better sign up."

If the Reds sign the top two, I think that will be it for this year. But if they don't sign one of them, we could see some action on the Marrero types IMO.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
My guess is that the Reds drafted Marrero and some of the other very talented guys in the 15-20 range as insurance.

If for any reason they can't sign Leake or Boxberger, they can then turn around and offer that money to a guy like Marrero. And, they can use this as leverage -- "Leake, we have Marrero in the wings just in case we don't sign you. So you'd better sign up."

If the Reds sign the top two, I think that will be it for this year. But if they don't sign one of them, we could see some action on the Marrero types IMO.

I don't know that they really look at an 18th round pick (that was not projected as a first round talent) as insurance for one of their top two picks. It would be one thing if it were a guy like Stassi or one of the other first round talents that fell for signability reasons, but Marrero would happily sign for $1MM. Leake will get 2 or 3 times that much easily.

If anything, Marrero/Perez may have been insurance for Billy Hamilton. He does have a much better glove than Billy, but once Billy signed that was probably it for any hope of signing Marrero or Perez. The Valor signing was the nail in the coffin.

Kc61
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know that they really look at an 18th round pick (that was not projected as a first round talent) as insurance for one of their top two picks. It would be one thing if it were a guy like Stassi or one of the other first round talents that fell for signability reasons, but Marrero would happily sign for $1MM. Leake will get 2 or 3 times that much easily.

If anything, Marrero may have been insurance for Billy Hamilton. He does have a much better glove than Billy, but once Billy signed that was probably it for any hope of signing Marrero or Perez. The Valor signing was the nail in the coffin.

You're probably right, but if the don't sign Leake or Boxberger, it would seem likely that they would try to soften the blow to the fans by paying Marrero or someone else from that part of the draft.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
You're probably right, but if the don't sign Leake or Boxberger, it would seem likely that they would try to soften the blow to the fans by paying Marrero or someone else from that part of the draft.

I would hope so, although the reality is other than about 30-40 of us on this board, I don't think a single fan would know and/or care about Devin Marrero or Stephen Perez. For that reason, the Reds would probably pass.

I still think they'll sign Leake and Boxberger, and will be pretty disappointed if they don't.

GIDP
08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Id be completely surprised if they dont sign them. If they signed yonder last year they will sign both of them this year. That is unless Leake wants a ML deal then that might be a problem.

Brutus
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I would hope so, although the reality is other than about 30-40 of us on this board, I don't think a single fan would know and/or care about Devin Marrero or Stephen Perez. For that reason, the Reds would probably pass.

I still think they'll sign Leake and Boxberger, and will be pretty disappointed if they don't.

On the contrary, I've read in a few places that the Reds really want to sign one of Marrero or Perez. There has not been much written about it, but I believe they're actively trying to get one of them. Just like with Barnhart and Fowler, I think the Reds' aim was to go 1-for-2.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
On the contrary, I've read in a few places that the Reds really want to sign one of Marrero or Perez. There has not been much written about it, but I believe they're actively trying to get one of them. Just like with Barnhart and Fowler, I think the Reds' aim was to go 1-for-2.

I hope you're right, but I'd be surprised if it happens.

Joseph
08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
How many days we got?

RED VAN HOT
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
How many days we got?

Midnight of the 17th...I count 18 first rounders still unsigned.

Benihana
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Id be completely surprised if they dont sign them. If they signed yonder last year they will sign both of them this year. That is unless Leake wants a ML deal then that might be a problem.

Supposedly he just wants a bonus and not a ML deal:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2009/268711.html

GIDP
08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Supposedly he just wants a bonus and not a ML deal:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2009/268711.html

Yea he doesnt seem like the type that wants a ML deal. He seems like a decently selfless player considering what he supposedly pitched with in the CWS. I'm just saying if he did want one the spot is open.

Brutus
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope you're right, but I'd be surprised if it happens.

Oh definitely. I don't expect it to happen, either. But I do think they are trying.

dougdirt
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Reds signed Mike Leake and Brad Boxberger.

From Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1563)

The Reds have signed their top two picks in the draft, Arizona State righthander Mike Leake (first round) for $2.27 million and Southern California righthander Brad Boxberger (supplemental first) for $857,000.