PDA

View Full Version : Who to DH?

mth123
06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Not sure if line-up threads are taboo, but I think the question of who to DH is a legit one on a team that is so short of offensive options, so I thought I'd get this discussion started. If its taboo please lock or delete.

The Reds play in KC and get to add another "bat" to the line-up. Not a lot of offensive talent lying around begging to get in there. I kind of hope that Hernandez is DH on Friday and Sunday and Hanigan play's the role on Saturday. These are two of the best hitters on the team at this point and the Reds can't afford for them to sit. The Reds won't add a bunch of offense with the DH, but maybe they can get these guys a bit of a break.

Another possibility may be to give Micah Owings a shot. I personally would go another route, but Owings wouldn't be the worst thing they could do. Its not what Dusty would do but I'd line them up as follows:

Dickerson CF
Hanigan C/DH
Phillips 2B
Bruce RF
Hernandez DH/C
Nix LF
Gomes 1B
Gonzalez SS
Hairston 3B

RedLegSuperStar
06-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I can see them getting Nix and Gomes in the lineup together. They also may try to go a speed route and stick Dickerson and Tavares at the top of the lineup. Yikes! I hate the DH rule.. But this team can use any advantage they can get. I wouldn't mind seeing Owings in the DH spot.. It might light a fire under under some of these guys.. I know.. Thinking out loud.

Kc61
06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
With the DH, either Gomes or Dickerson move into the lineup.

Or both if Taveras sits.

Razor Shines
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Not sure if line-up threads are taboo, but I think the question of who to DH is a legit one on a team that is so short of offensive options, so I thought I'd get this discussion started. If its taboo please lock or delete.

The Reds play in KC and get to add another "bat" to the line-up. Not a lot of offensive talent lying around begging to get in there. I kind of hope that Hernandez is DH on Friday and Sunday and Hanigan play's the role on Saturday. These are two of the best hitters on the team at this point and the Reds can't afford for them to sit. The Reds won't add a bunch of offense with the DH, but maybe they can get these guys a bit of a break.

Another possibility may be to give Micah Owings a shot. I personally would go another route, but Owings wouldn't be the worst thing they could do. Its not what Dusty would do but I'd line them up as follows:

Dickerson CF
Hanigan C/DH
Phillips 2B
Bruce RF
Hernandez DH/C
Nix LF
Gomes 1B
Gonzalez SS
Hairston 3B

Yeah, that looks about the best we could do. I think Dusty will have Rosales at 1B though.

schroomytunes
06-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh man??? the way this offense is right now, anybody's guess, but if I made a lineup it would be:

1)hairston-3b
2)Dickerson-cf
3)Phillips-2b
4)Hernandez-1b
5)Bruce-rf
6)Nix-LF
7)Gomes-DH
8)Gonzalez-SS
9)Hanigan-c

and I would give Owings 1 DH out of the 3 games, but I sit Rosales and Tavares this series we need to sweep!!!!!

BCubb2003
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
It seems like the NL team is likely to be at a disadvantage since the DH the AL team builds into its plans is usually a more formidable hitter than the first pinchhitter off the bench for the NL.

11larkin11
06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I think it will be Gomes all series. Dusty always talks about how he needs ABs to get going but we don't face many lefties. Both game winning hits he's had this year have been off righties.

princeton
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Driessen

westofyou
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
It seems like the NL team is likely to be at a disadvantage since the DH the AL team builds into its plans is usually a more formidable hitter than the first pinchhitter off the bench for the NL.

Yep, and in the NL house the pitchers have to bat and partake in the timeless "moving the guy over" paradox

I say they flip flop them at the opposing stadium, DH in the NL and pitchers hit in KC.. show the other fans what they are missing (or not)

westofyou
06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Driessen

My thought too... but I'd DH Doggie and use Driessen in the field.

VR
06-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I agree that Hernandez and Hanigan have been fairly good w/ the stick.....just a bit concerned about all the innings they have been logging. Hanigan already has Joe Oliveritis....and the stick and legs will only get slower as the innings pile on.

Far East
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Assuming right-handed pitching:

CF - DICKERSON
2B - PHILLIPS
LF- NIX
1B - HERNANDEZ
RF - BRUCE
DH - GOMES
C- HANNIGAN
SS- GONZALEZ
3B - HAIRSTON

Hairston at #9 in effect begins to turn the lineup over again, but without getting as many AB as Dickerson, Phillips, Nix, etc.

cumberlandreds
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Owings. He is as good of an option as they have.

Nugget
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I think it is a mistake to play the backup catcher as DH. As I understand the rule if you end up having to replace the catcher you end up losing the DH position which means the pitcher has to bat.

LincolnparkRed
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Just please not Owings. The cubs announcers basically provided the scouting report on him. He steps into the bucket so badly that if you do anything other than waist high,middle in, then he can't touch it.

fearofpopvol1
06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Owings. He is as good of an option as they have.

That's a pretty interesting idea...not sure if Dusty will do it. I think I'd still rather have Dickerson or Gomes instead though.

BCubb2003
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it should be done once just to get it into the books. And it wouldn't be affecting the integrity of the game at all.

Boss-Hog
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Threads that discuss the ideal lineup (such as this) are perfectly fine - it's the reactionary posts to the game lineups once they're announced that we don't allow.

George Anderson
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
My thought too... but I'd DH Doggie and use Driessen in the field.

Just keep Driessen off third.

Hap
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Gomes 1B

Why would you put someone at a position he has never, ever played at the big league level or the minor league levels?

RedLegSuperStar
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Why would you put someone at a position he has never, ever played at the big league level or the minor league levels?

Didn't Gomes play some games there in Spring Training?

Big Klu
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh man??? the way this offense is right now, anybody's guess, but if I made a lineup it would be:

1)hairston-3b
2)Dickerson-cf
3)Phillips-2b
4)Hernandez-1b
5)Bruce-rf
6)Nix-LF
7)Gomes-DH
8)Gonzalez-SS
9)Hanigan-c

and I would give Owings 1 DH out of the 3 games, but I sit Rosales and Tavares this series we need to sweep!!!!!

I like it, except I would flip-flop Bruce and Hernandez in the order. Maybe something like this:

Hairston 3b
Dickerson cf
Phillips 2b
Bruce rf
Hernandez 1b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c

However, I expect Taveras to start in CF, so I think a more realistic lineup will be:

Hairston 3b
Dickerson lf
Phillips 2b
Bruce rf
Hernandez 1b
Nix dh
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c
Taveras cf

I also think that Hanigan will get one day off (probably Sunday). So the lineup for that game could be:

Hairston 3b
Dickerson lf
Phillips 2b
Bruce rf
Hernandez c
Nix dh
Gonzalez ss
Rosales 1b
Taveras cf

OR:

Hairston 3b
Dickerson cf
Phillips 2b
Bruce rf
Hernandez c
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Gonzalez ss
Rosales 1b

I don't think Owings will see any action as the DH. Maybe if the Royals were starting a lefty, but not against righties.

PuffyPig
06-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Much like the AL team is at a disadvantage when they play without the DH.

It all averages out.

LincolnparkRed
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Only it doesn't when you play 9 games at AL parks (TOR, KC, & CLE) and only 6 (CLE & CHW) at home. We get ATL instead of DET, or MIN.

Jpup
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
against righties it will be some combination of nix, dickerson, and taveras. against lefties it will probably be rosales at 3rd, gomes Dh, and hairston in left.

princeton
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Didn't Gomes play some games there in Spring Training?

helped get him sent down?

klw
06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
The Reds should really look at some sort of roster move today to add another bat for the weekend. They need a bat and prferably someone who can field either first or third. Right now they are carrying 13 pitchers and 12 position players. They don't need that many arms for a weekend especially with the AL rules in effect.
Their 25 man roster- http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cin
Their 40 man roster- http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Unfortunately their are not many good options for bats on the 40 man who are healthy and not already with the MLB club. The only healthy options are Wilkin, Tatum, Francisco, Sutton, and Alonso. I don't think Alonso has been at AA long enough to bring him up as IIRC he hasn't been tearing it up the past week or so. (4 for last 30 http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Yonder%20Alonso&pos=IF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=475174) In favor of Alonso though is that he can play 1st base unlike sticking someone there who is not a natural at the position. Phillips throw maybe is knocked down yesterday by a more experienced first baseman.
Francisco would bring pop but no polish and burning options at this point with him would not be wise.
Sutton is 8 for 19 in past 5 games and could at least see some time in the field. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Drew%20Sutton&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=450300

Unless the Reds can find a player to bring in from outside the organizations I would suggest one of the following:
1. Send Lincoln or Fisher- possibly Burton back to Louisville, bring up Sutton or Alonso.
2. Move Bray to the 60 day DL, Send Lincoln or Fisher- possibly Burton back to Louisville, and bring up someone not currently off on the 40 man roster. Candidates include Stubbs, Heisey, Bankston and Frazier.
3. DL Tavaras, move Bray to 60 day DL,Send Lincoln or Fisher- possibly Burton back to Louisville, recall Alonso, Heisey

Stubbs http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Drew%20Stubbs&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453211,
Heisey http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chris%20Heisey&pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502317
Bankston http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Wes%20Bankston&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457821
Frazier. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Todd%20Frazier&pos=RF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453943

mth123
06-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Because the Reds need his bat in the line-up and Hernandez needs rest while still getting his ABs. I think getting Hernandez some rest will pay-off down the road and is more important than these three games.

Big Klu
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
OK, for Saturday's game, I would sit Taveras and start Dickerson in CF (actually, I would do this almost every game). Hernandez could really use a day off, so I would move Rosales to 1B and get Hairston back in the lineup at 3B. (Actually, IMO both catchers are getting worn out, so I would give Ramon a day off on Saturday, and Hanigan a day off on Sunday.) My lineup for Saturday night:

Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b
Phillips 2b
Nix lf
Gomes dh
Bruce rf
Gonzalez ss
Hanigan c
Rosales 1b

Then on Sunday afternoon (pending events from tonight):
Dickerson cf
Hairston 3b