PDA

View Full Version : The worst avg. in baseball the last 30 days

Redmachine2003
06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
RK Team League G AB R H 2b 3b HR RBI

30. Cincinnati Reds NL 26 901 99 200 37 5 28 98
TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

331 93 175 8 7 .298 .367 .222

This team is the worst in baseball offensively over the last 30 days and ranks 27th for the year. Getting Votto back will help but they need alot more than just him to keep this team in the running. So changes need to be made. Do we change hitting coaches???? At some point in time we should see improvement in our you kids. But we seem to see them get worse instead of better. We seen in the past players go down to AAA and come back and get better for a short period of time. Some thing has to change. Bruce has talent and someone needs to figure out away to develop it. We really need to see Frazier up here at 3rd. He reminds me alot of Votto with his approach to the plate but we need someone to develop him and not screw him up. Chris Heisey would be a nice addition in Center over Willy T. I say at least bring the young kids up and give them a chance because the Vets sure are not getting it done. If Brook Jacoby can't develop these kids time to move him along too.

_Sir_Charles_
06-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I agree about Frazier at third, but for some reason didn't they move him to LF permanently early this season?

Heisey is doing well, but I don't think I'd jump him past AAA. Especially not when we've already got Stubbs in AAA doing well. I'd bring up Stubbs and move Heisey up to the Bats.

I also can't agree enough about Jacoby. I don't blame him for our players currently slumping, but I've yet to see a player improve under his watch. His job is to fix mechanics and to work with them on their plate approach. I certainly haven't seen him address Phillip's swing as he's almost been falling down every game on his swing. And I certainly haven't seen any improvement on our hitters approach at the plate. In fact, it's gotten worse as the year's gone on. After ST ended, everyone was working the counts...now, nobody is. Who's the hitting coach in Louisville? Because the hitting coaches in the minors seem to be doing thier jobs.

RED VAN HOT
06-13-2009, 02:55 PM
IMO Frasier was moved to LF because that was the greatest need at the start of the season. EE was on third for two years and Valaika was coming on and could be moved to third if he could not stick at SS. Then, there were Francisco and Soto coming along as well. Frasier was the fastest in the bunch so a move to LF was logical. Thinks have changed. None of those other 3B possibilities is viable.

Move Frasier to third and to AAA. Move Heisey to AAA. Let's see if they continue to put up numbers before adding them to the 40. IMO if Votto does not come back, it won't matter what we do. If he does come back we can stay within five games of the lead until one of the other contenders gets really hot. So, there still would be some time to let players get their feet wet at AAA.

Regarding Jacoby, I have two observations First, it seems to me that he coaches powerful hitters to look to pull the ball to take advantage of their power. When Bruce first came up he hit .400 for several weeks. He used the whole field. Then, he seemed to start trying to hit home runs and his average went down. If that is indeed a coaching philosophy, I would like to see it change in the case of Bruce. I see Bruce as a .300 hitter with 30 home runs and many doubles. It does not seem worthwhile to get him up to the 40 HR level. I have seen some of the same pull hitting emphasis with BP and EE.

The other observation is that the Reds are being overly aggressive at the plate during this slump. In the extra inning games they would get two men on base and immediately go 0-2 by swinging at pitchers pitches. When a sac fly was needed, they would ground out on a pitch around their ankles. More patience is required.

I emphasize that these are simply observations. For all I know, Jacoby may be coaching them to do the opposite of what they are doing.

BearcatShane
06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I tell ya what, the Cubs offense isn't much better. If it's better at all. I don't see anyone running away with this division, or anyone fading off too far.

mth123
06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Jacoby isn't the reason this team has offensive woes. By the time guys get to the big leagues they are usually already what they are and just need to get adjusted to the league and learn the opposition. I think the two most over-rated roles on a baseball team are the pitching coach and the hitting coach. IMO these spots were likely invented by Managers in the old days who wanted to give their down on their luck former team-mates a steady job. (I'm sure one of historians knows the turth and will correct me and I'd like to hear when these jobs originated.)

There are guys who praise hitting gurus, but usually the work was done prior to their arrival in the bigs.

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Jacoby isn't the reason this team has offensive woes. By the time guys get to the big leagues they are usually already what they are and just need to get adjusted to the league and learn the opposition. I think the two most over-rated roles on a baseball team are the pitching coach and the hitting coach. IMO these spots were likely invented by Managers in the old days who wanted to give their down on their luck former team-mates a steady job. (I'm sure one of historians knows the turth and will correct me and I'd like to hear when these jobs originated.)

There are guys who praise hitting gurus, but usually the work was done prior to their arrival in the bigs.

Unless you're Dave Duncan. That guy is some kind of other breed of pitching coach.

mth123
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Unless you're Dave Duncan. That guy is some kind of other breed of pitching coach.

Agree, but he's an exception.

VR
06-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Major league clubs will be pleased to know they can save money by letting loose this useless position. ;)

Major leagues are all about adjusting....it's the hitting coaches job to get the hitters prepared to react to the leagues scouting report.

reds44
06-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Major league clubs will be pleased to know they can save money by letting loose this useless position. ;)

Major leagues are all about adjusting....it's the hitting coaches job to get the hitters prepared to react to the leagues scouting report.
And right now the Reds not hitting has nothing to do with scouting reports and everything to do with bad players.

TheNext44
06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Votto batting 3rd make everyone better, especially Bruce. Jocketty says Joey's due back in a few weeks, and it looks like Walt will wait it out until then.
I think the Reds can stay above .500 until he gets back if they can get good pitching. Once he's back, the offense, while not great, should be fine.

mth123
06-13-2009, 09:38 PM
And right now the Reds not hitting has nothing to do with scouting reports and everything to do with bad players.

Exactly

VR
06-13-2009, 09:41 PM

they may be bad....but they are also digressing. It's a two way street, for sure.....but if players are prepared to hit off of a flurry of 5+ ERA pitchers....there are a lot of variable at play.

Is the pitching coach useless as well?

reds44
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Who is digressing?

Gonzalez and Hernandez are both old, unless they get on the juice they are going to get worse.
Phillips really isn't digressing.
Laynce Nix is who Laynce Nix is.
As is Adam Rosales.
And Jerry Hairston.
Johnny Gomes is playing above Johnny Gomes levels.

Redmachine2003
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
If I am the rest of the league Votto doesn't see a good pitch to hit the rest of the year if he walks 200 times so be it. Not to mention you take one of the Catchers out who has been the better hitters this year when Votto come back.