PDA

View Full Version : Corey Patterson or Willy Taveras? Who would you rather have leading off?

Kingspoint
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
For me, it would be Taveras, but clearly his signing was a huge mistake.

He sets the table for this offense and it's nothing but paper plates and crumbs when he's in the lineup. He's actually been worse than Corey Patterson, which is so hard to believe. Worse, because this slump of his is abysmal.

mroby85
06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
He's in an 0 for 29 slump, thats really killed his numbers. He was pretty productive the first couple months of the season I thought. Which is more than you could say for Patterson. He also had the injury, so i'm hoping he'll turn it around. He hasn't been nearly as bad as Patterson in my opinion, but I'd rather have the $ he's getting to spend elsewhere.

GIDP
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Neither

fewfirstchoice
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Why is Taveras even playing? I take CP if I had to choose at least he has homerun power but I dont want either. Neither can get on base and neither is a lead off hitter. Its Dustys fault both have lead off for the Reds. If Taveras has to play he needs to be hitting 8th or 9th not 1st. Dusty needs to do his job and be a manager. Oh I thought he knew what he was doing my bad. This total offense is awful though not just Taveras.

BluegrassRedleg
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
It boggles my mind that the organization can do such a job in some areas (upgrading pitching, the catching spot) but fail so miserably at others. This franchise hasn't had a legit leadoff man in ages. How hard is it???

PedroBourbon
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Maybe we could talk Sean Casey out of retirement. You can't tell me he couldn't walk on and bat any worse than .240. We could use him at first too until Joey gets back. ;)

GIDP
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I think Corey Patterson was better at this point in the season last year.

jfar23
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Willy is an even bigger nightmare than anyone could have envisioned when he was signed. Which is really saying something. The thinking that goes behind the acquisition and use of a player like this is very depressing and instills very little faith in the management of this organization.

xavr1
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
The fact that Taveras started tonight is proof positive that Dusty is insane. I have been a Dusty apologist for two years but enough is enough. Its ridiculous.

sivman17
06-14-2009, 01:21 AM
rickey henderson

Krawhitham
06-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Rickey today would be better than Taveras

nineworldseries
06-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Micah Owings should be our new leadoff hitter and play LF, moving Nix to CF. I'm dead serious.

redsfanmia
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Patterson was atleast a + defensive players, Tavares is average at best.

JoeyGears76
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
It boggles my mind that the organization can do such a job in some areas (upgrading pitching, the catching spot) but fail so miserably at others. This franchise hasn't had a legit leadoff man in ages. How hard is it???

I don't know. If it's so easy, why aren't you leading off for the Reds? :rolleyes:

GIDP
06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't know. If it's so easy, why aren't you leading off for the Reds? :rolleyes:

Where did it say he could? Or that it was easy? He was talking about how badly the reds fail at seeing what even the average baseball fan can see.

BluegrassRedleg
06-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Quality response. If being able to do something on a MLB field was a prerequisite for posting here, none of us would be doing so.

Forgive me for wondering why the Reds haven't had a legit leadoff man in the last 17 or 18 years.

JoeyGears76
06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Forgive me for wondering why the Reds haven't had a legit leadoff man in the last 17 or 18 years.

Maybe it's because your idea of a legit leadoff man is few and far between. There are only a handful of Ichiro, Henderson types out there.

BluegrassRedleg
06-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Maybe it's because your idea of a legit leadoff man is few and far between. There are only a handful of Ichiro, Henderson types out there.

How do you know what my idea is?

For the record, my idea is a guy who goes up there with the mindset of setting the table, working pitchers deep into the count and posting an OBP that isn't 20 points higher than his BA.

The Reds haven't had anyone do that consistently since the early- to mid-90s.

mlh1981
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Here is a list of everyone who has led off a game for Cincinnati since 2000, up through last year:

-Chris Dickerson, Jerry Hairston Jr, Corey Patterson, Jay Bruce, Jolbert Cabrera, Danny Richar, Joey Votto, Ryan Freel, Jeff Keppinger, Scott Hatteberg, Josh Hamilton, Brandon Phillips, Quinton McCracken, Felipe Lopez, Chris Denorfia, Royce Clayton, Dewayne Wise, D’Angelo Jimenez, Jermaine Clark, Eric Valent, Ray Olmedo, Barry Larkin, Sean Casey, Aaron Boone, Reggie Taylor, Juan Castro, Todd Walker, Brady Clark, Juan Encarnacion, Wilton Guerrero, Donnie Sadler, Pokey Reese, Deion Sanders, Alex Ochoa, and Michael Tucker

You have a few greats, and some good ones, but overall, this is a pretty sad list. Unless Tavares turns it around, he's in danger of being one of the "nobodies" on this list.

BluegrassRedleg
06-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is a list of everyone who has led off a game for Cincinnati since 2000, up through last year:

-Chris Dickerson, Jerry Hairston Jr, Corey Patterson, Jay Bruce, Jolbert Cabrera, Danny Richar, Joey Votto, Ryan Freel, Jeff Keppinger, Scott Hatteberg, Josh Hamilton, Brandon Phillips, Quinton McCracken, Felipe Lopez, Chris Denorfia, Royce Clayton, Dewayne Wise, D’Angelo Jimenez, Jermaine Clark, Eric Valent, Ray Olmedo, Barry Larkin, Sean Casey, Aaron Boone, Reggie Taylor, Juan Castro, Todd Walker, Brady Clark, Juan Encarnacion, Wilton Guerrero, Donnie Sadler, Pokey Reese, Deion Sanders, Alex Ochoa, and Michael Tucker

You have a few greats, and some good ones, but overall, this is a pretty sad list. Unless Tavares turns it around, he's in danger of being one of the "nobodies" on this list.

Frightening.

Larkin is the closest thing to one we've had, and he's really a No. 2 guy. That's a decade of meh (at best) and horrors (Deion).